Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which prog band would you join? And why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which prog band would you join? And why?
    Posted: April 11 2021 at 03:46
Let's suppose that you have a time machine for some weird reason, and you are capable of going back in time... you could travel back to yesterday to finish some chores, you could travel back ten years ago, or you could end up in 1960-something and become a raging pothead... possibilities are innumerable.
But the plot we are looking for is the following: You travel back in time in order to join any prog band and you can take any of the band duties: vocals, keys, bass, whatever you feel like.
So, which prog band would you go back and join? And why? What instrument would you play, and would you change the direction that this band was going to?

I think this thread will spawn some very interesting answers; I will need more time to give an answer myself.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 04:45
Interesting question, but to be quite honest, my answer is none of them. The answer is simply because I rather like all of my favourite bands quite enough without my “spoiling” them with my contributions, because, by and large, you would be replacing an extremely accomplished musician who adds so much to that band.

I dabbled with the drums a bit when I was a misbegotten yoof, and I wish I had carried on with that. Ditto the guitar. I took guitar lessons, but haven’t picked one up since I was 18, and I regret that.

Personally speaking, then, if I were able to go back, I would love to have been involved with a band, either as a manager, on the road, doing tax and accountancy. That would be great fun, because it would be a way of being with a band without detracting from them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 05:41
^That's so funny.
Not funny HaHa, but funny strange. As I was reading the original post I was thinking the exact same thing. But I'd want to be the band manager for sure. Like the mighty Laz I'm a nit quite drummer. Unlike Laz I didn't take guitar lessons. I took accordion lessons, for a very brief while when I was around 12yrs old. Damn that thing was heavy. I quickly moved onto the trumpet at 13, much easier to carry to lessons at the local high school. But as I got into music more I didn't hear much trumpet in the bands I was loving and there was no way I was dragging a piano or organ to lessons and back LOL. I actually asked my music teacher if I could do drums or piano, but there was no piano or drums in the band, Mostly just wind instruments as my failing memory recalls.

So my answer is easy...I'd love to have been ELP's manager. For all the right reasons.

Edited by JD - April 11 2021 at 05:42
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 05:52
I have absolutely *zero musical talent and never learned to play anything, but I always dreamed of being the bass player in a symphonic prog band.

*even less 'talent' than The Shaggs, but that's a whole other debate.

Edited by Progishness - April 11 2021 at 05:54
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 05:59
Assuming I could play as well as the musician and not destroy any band chemistry. I would be Bill Bruford from 1971 to 2001. Not change anything, but just be a part of the superb albums/bands he has played in. Yes, KC, Chris Squire, Bruford, U.K., Genesis, National Health, Earthworks. 

And I would like to visit the future in 500 years and be the bass player of a stellar prog band, yet unknown. Wink

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 12 2021 at 16:19
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 07:24
I would love to play for the Martin Barre Band. Those guys are having so much fun playing their music, is hard to resists the temptation. Unfortunately, I'm not that good of a bass or guitar player to make the cut.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 11:04
It's an interesting question. Having no training in playing an instrument but occasionally using them to make weird noises, I tend to use software more to get what I want. So I don't think any band in the past would be interested in me.

On the other hand, if I could travel back in time and magically know how to play an instrument, I think I'd pick Thinking Plague. I would play anything they'd put in front of me. It would just be an honor and I wouldn't try to change the direction they took.

One individual in which I'd like to change their direction would be Scott Walker. I'd try to convince him to drop the cover songs and the flirting with country music from the 1970-1974 period and dive into the avant-garde in 1970. But, who am I to mess with a legend? Maybe he needed to take that path in order to give us the treasures that came out from 1984 onward?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 11:37
I would say Jethro Tull, but Ian Anderson is such a D-bag I wouldn't last for more than a couple albums.

Fairport Convention, then. Maybe fill in on tours for Pink Floyd like Snowy White. You know, casual stuff.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 11 2021 at 11:37
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 11:55
I would have liked to join the Beatles but Lennon and McCartney would have been jealous of finally having a good songwriter in the group.

Edited by SteveG - April 11 2021 at 11:58
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 12:48
Ive never been a good enough musician (though probably could have been if i'd stuck at it..) and frankly i prefer listening to other's music rather than creating it (probably laziness and lack of creative vision as well as lack of skillWink) The first job i did when i left school was work at a local venue when bands played there and i just so wanted to be a roadie attached to a band.. i took my first tentative steps by joining an agency and very rapidly discovered i was a home-loving country mouse and not a globe trotting, hard living, rock n rolling roadie at all!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 15:44
I would have loved to play bass for Yes.  However, having seen (and met) Mr. Christopher Squire many times, including CTTE tour (22 September 1972 in Chicago) and many time since, I'm afraid I would have just stunk the place up!  

Mind you, I'm not bad on the old 4 string, and if I did the wood-shed like Squire did after his bad LSD trip, who knows?  I'm very happy to live with the fact that I have trod the rock & roll stage in my youth, played with some amazing folks, and have met nearly all all of my prog heroes.

This was exactly how Squire looked when I first saw him, boots & all.   He was like a God.  Plus I cannot sing nearly as well as he did.  So, let's just say we all are lucky that I didn't return the invitation to join Yes.

Edited by cstack3 - April 11 2021 at 15:46
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 16:22
I assumed even those with limited or no musical talent would magically have it, equal to the player of their choice. Correct?
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 20:31
Now that Martin Barre's place in Jethro Tull seems to be vacant, I don't need a time machine, just need... to learn to play guitar well enough.
And get to met Ian Anderson.
And then persuade him.
Forget it, I'll take the machine and go back to see the concert recorded for Genesis Live.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 22:08
Being in one of Zappa's line-ups would probably be the most fun.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 23:49
I'd like to go back and join up with Split Enz so I could get to play the spoons.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 01:32
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

This is what I am circulating around as well.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 01:37
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

This is what I am circulating around as well.

From what I've read by folks like Steve Vai, Zappa was quite the perfectionist/slave-driver! 

However, the live shows were amazing, I saw him twice.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 03:35
My secret dream: an acoustic guitars duo with David Gilmour or, totally different, adding some extra keyboard to Tangerine Dream.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:16
Just let me stand on stage with Yes while they make noise circa '72-'74. 

I'll blow a whistle in time; Jamie Muir it or something.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:20
I would ruin any established prog band that has ever existed. I have no musical talent at all. I can kind of carry a tune, but I would still not muddy the waters of any prog band, even the ones I am not that fond of. 

If I got to go back with actual musical talent, then...no, I still wouldn't do it.
I have no interest in being in a band or performing at all.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>