Russia/Ukraine tensions - Any concern?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General discussions
Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127967
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 04:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Russia/Ukraine tensions - Any concern?
Posted By: Blacksword
Subject: Russia/Ukraine tensions - Any concern?
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 02:35
The British news media has a long tradition of dubious prioritisation of stories. Clearly there's been a lot going on over the last couple of years, with covid and increasing fears over the urgency of the climate crisis, but...

Along with growing tensions with China over Taiwan (again, seldom mentioned by the BBC) there is clearly something potentially very worrying taking shape on the Russia/Ukraine border. This is seldom mentioned by the BBC on it's prime time news, but finally it has surfaced on their news homepage, instead of buried as an afterthought on one of their international pages.

Russia has a history of brinkmanship and pressuring the west, when it's seen to have 'weak' or incompetent leadership. With over 100K troops poised on the other side of the Ukraine border, and accusations by Kiev of a planned coup to topple the government and install a pro Moscow regime, where do you think this will lead?

Storm in a tea cup, or BANG!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59558099" rel="nofollow - Putin Biden to Zoom

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Replies:
Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 04:10
I think storm in a tea cup.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 04:42
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I think <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">storm in a tea cup.</span>

🤞

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 05:09
I wish the EU (and NATO) would stop meddling in there, and I have even less trust in the Ukrainian regime than I do in Moscow.

Would most of these ex-Soviet nations treat their respective Russian minorities (even the majority in Latvia) with respect and not think of them as second or third class citizens, Russia wouldn't be in there meddling in.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 05:42
It appears that one of Moscow's biggest concerns is Ukraine joining NATO, as per Latvia and Lithuania. There is some legitimacy to his concerns, as NATO is encroaching ever close to the Russian border.

That said, it's hard to say which side is actually the most paranoid. What exactly does Putin think NATO is going to do? Invade Russia? I don't think so.

I hope this is another example of Putin playing to the gallery at home, and testing the west, although if Georgia and Crimea show us anything, it's that he's not all mouth and no trousers (as we say in England)

Then there's the joint military exercises Russia and China held earlier in the year, and the tension with China and Taiwan. It all seems a bit dicey right now..

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 05:43
...I agree with the previous posts. Plus...

I don't think Russia attacks Ukraine unless NATO pours a bunch of troops inside Ukraine. Hopefully, the NeoCon's won't antagonize Russia into a war. 

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 06:12
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

...I agree with the previous posts. Plus...

I don't think Russia attacks Ukraine unless NATO pours a bunch of troops inside Ukraine. Hopefully, the NeoCon's won't antagonize Russia into a war. 

Indeed, and the Ukrainian defence minister has said he didn't want NATO troops fighting on Ukrainian soil, but wanted arms and logistical support. So long as Russia doesn't declare that a 'red line' there may not be conflict

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 08:18
Hi,

I think that some folks are playing with fire, and all I can hope for is that this does not turn into another Vietnam! It has the makings of it already. 

But all in all, this kind of thing has been going on for thousands of years with many "conquerors" and we still think they are movies and were not real people! It couldn't happen today with real people, right?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 08:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I wish the EU (and NATO) would stop meddling in there, and I have even less trust in the Ukrainian regime than I do in Moscow.

Would most of these ex-Soviet nations treat their respective Russian minorities (even the majority in Latvia) with respect and not think of them as second or third class citizens, Russia wouldn't be in there meddling in.

Hi, Hugues,

I'm a bit shocked by your post - are you still reading those Kremlin official papers till now?!

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 08:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I think that some folks are playing with fire, and all I can hope for is that this does not turn into another Vietnam! It has the makings of it already. 

But all in all, this kind of thing has been going on for thousands of years with many "conquerors" and we still think they are movies and were not real people! It couldn't happen today with real people, right?

Yeah, that's what many people thought before WW1 & WWII..

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 09:10
Russia has such a long history of being peace loving pacifists.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 09:15
I don't think Putin going to start the war intentionally - today's Russia isn't an USSR, he just wants to push lazy and toothless Westerners once again to get a gift - the promise to leave Ukraine in Eurasian orbit, not European

But knowing Eurasians impulsivity and partial irrationality, the local conflict can start just by chance, as it already happened before

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 09:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Hi,

But modernism is said to have ended after the WWII. Most people couldn't predict the 2nd WW after the first. But, it is also said that the immediate aftermath of the first WW caused the 2nd one. I'm not a postmodernism guy, but I think it created an "atmosphere" that hasn't give way to the 3rd World War. Of course, anything can happen still. Modernism would be great in ideal societies, but we seem to be far away from that. Long live postmodernism!!! Till we understand why modernism was great, but we weren't ready for that!

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 09:28
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Hi,

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">But modernism is said to have ended after the WWII. Most people couldn't predict the 2nd WW after the first. But, it is also said that the immediate aftermath of the first WW caused the 2nd one. I'm not a postmodernism guy, but I think it created an "atmosphere" that hasn't give way to the 3rd World War. Of course, anything can happen still. Modernism would be great in ideal societies, but we seem to be far away from that. Long live postmodernism!!! Till we understand why modernism was great, but we weren't ready for that!</span>

The nature of the threat changed after WWII, and the stakes got much higher. The MAD doctrine deterred another global conflict, but it doesn't eliminate the threat altogether. The risk of miscalculation - counting on your opponent not cross the line - would be the probable cause of another global conflict IMO, and it's important to note that the treaties put in place to reduce nuclear arsenals have been ditched by Washington & Moscow. There is the school of thought on both sides, that in light of new developments in missile technology, nuclear conflict could be fought, limited, contained and crucially 'won' so basically MAD no longer stands (or so some believe) This also increases the risk.

In any case, that's getting too far ahead. Neither side actually want that, and the more immediate threat is to the people of Ukraine.

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 09:43
^ Yes, but also the minorities and the fringes of the societies were understood better with postmodernism. Many problems are yet to be solved, but we at least are aware of those unlike in modernism. I don't think that we're "progressing" as humanity in the literal sense. But, after postmodernism, we might do that.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 11:05
We will see what happens. I won't be surprised if Putin launches a military incursion. That seems to be in the Russian blood.Confused

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

That seems to be in the Russian blood.Confused

This has nothing to do with blood. It has happened all over the world, with Western Europe and the USA also often happily involved.
By the way, I think Putin is a good strategist. Before he does something like this, he'll do his best to make sure that he can get away with it (not that this is particularly reassuring... Ermm).

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 11:50

It appears that one of Moscow's biggest concerns is Ukraine joining NATO, as per Latvia and Lithuania. There is some legitimacy to his concerns, as NATO is encroaching ever close to the Russian border.

It should be up to the people of those countries to decide whether those countries join NATO or not; Russia isn't deserving of a say in the matter. To quote http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/29/lithuania-is-safer-with-nato-mr-corbyn" rel="nofollow - Lithuania's ambassador to the UK : "Our countries were not forced or lured into Nato as part of an American global power grab. We were pounding on the door of the alliance, demanding to be let in, because we feared that Russia might one day become what it is now: a threat."

Only about a quarter of Latvia's citizens are ethnically Russian, actually. I don't doubt that there's a lot of animosity and ill treatment of Russian minorities in former Soviet states, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that it's bad enough to warrant a military intervention of the kind Russia has already been engaged in in Ukraine since 2014. You could apply the same logic to claim that Nazi Germany was in the right to annex Sudetenland in 1938.

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 13:01
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Hi, Hugues,

I'm a bit shocked by your post - are you still reading those Kremlin official papers till now?!

Yeah, I'd like to ask the same question! LOL

I don't think Putin going to start the war intentionally - today's Russia isn't an USSR, he just wants to push lazy and toothless Westerners once again to get a gift - the promise to leave Ukraine in Eurasian orbit, not European

But knowing Eurasians impulsivity and partial irrationality, the local conflict can start just by chance, as it already happened before

I fully agree!

BTW, long time no see, Slava! Hug

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Only about a quarter of Latvia's citizens are ethnically Russian, actually. I don't doubt that there's a lot of animosity and ill treatment of Russian minorities in former Soviet states, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that it's bad enough to warrant a military intervention of the kind Russia has already been engaged in in Ukraine since 2014. You could apply the same logic to claim that Nazi Germany was in the right to annex Sudetenland in 1938.

Furthermore, the existience of strong Russian minorities is largely the result of deportation and re-settlement of the original population and mass immigration of Russians during the Soviet rule. For example parents of a Lithuanian friend of mine were deported to Siberia and only much later allowed... to Latvia but not to their native Lithuania, as the Russians tried to weaken the native populations. Obviously that's not a justification for treating the Russian minority badly today, however the Russians can hardly derive a right to intervene from this.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 13:32

We will see what happens. I won't be surprised if Putin launches a military incursion. That seems to be in the Russian blood.Confused

Hi,

And I will bet that if he does that, he won't last as a leader a whole lot longer ... he needs to worry about his country, not a military push and invasion, which will deplete their economy even more.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 13:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

That seems to be in the Russian blood.Confused

This has nothing to do with blood. It has happened all over the world, with Western Europe and the USA also often happily involved.
By the way, I think Putin is a good strategist. Before he does something like this, he'll do his best to make sure that he can get away with it (not that this is particularly reassuring... Ermm).

Well, yeah. But Russian history is more or less about conquering large pieces of land.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:18
I know I can get in trouble for this below (especially from Slava Wink), but here goes  - for better or worse.

Mmmhhh!!!..  In high school, I had a geographical  encyclopedia dating from 73 and the individual stats from all the soviet republics were in there and I remember seeing in there that Russians were the majority in Latvia. Things have probably changed in nearly 50y.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not siding on the Russians, but the constant attacks directed to the country, I understand they get tense about things. My instincs tell me that if Russia ever gets broken  up, worldwide mayhem will occur. As westerners, we should be definitely more friendly with Russia, and stop listening to the US paranoia against the "modern soviets".

As for meddling in neighboring lands (including Moldova's beak-away republic, which has no direct borders with the "motherland"), the problem has arisen because of hate towards the Soviet empire (of which Russia was only one of the parts of) and ailed at the Russians. This has probably driven many Russians to leave fo the motherland. Part of the problem (#1 IMHO) was the way the soviet republic borders were drawn in between the two WW.

From what I understand (I haven't researched this), Ukraine received most of the eastern lands (including the Donbass region) and Kiev (the first Russian capital), whereas the Ukrainians were mostly in the western hills/mountains filled with forests, compared to the flat dark-earthed eastern plains (industry & agriculture) - always occupied by a majority of Russians. As for Crimea, everyone agreed that the region was 95% Russians and didn't want to be in Ukraine, anymore after the Maidan events. So, to my eyes, the Crimea crisis was legitimate. Less sure about the Donbass, though everyone agreed that 65% of the inhabitants were Russians.
The whole thing was started because the EU in 2013 stepped into Russia's backyard, by courting Georgia, Armenia, Ukraine & Moldova into a commercial union.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:21
I am hoping that this is merely a case of Putin waving his Willy at the world. I am not overly confident that is the case, because if there is one thing which unites all despots is that they hate to lose face.

BTW, Hugues makes a very valid point regarding EU expansion and what is perceived to be encroaching on areas Russia traditionally regards as its own.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 15:04
  "Putin asked his US counterpart Joe Biden for guarantees that NATO won’t expand further east or deploy offensive weapons to countries like Ukraine. Moscow is “seriously interested” in obtaining “reliable and firm legal guarantees” excluding NATO’s further expansion eastward and deployment of “offensive strike weapons systems in countries adjacent to Russia,” the Kremlin said in a readout of Tuesday’s call between the two leaders." 
Of course, Biden won't agree to such a demand.  However, Putin puts the idea on the negotiation table. It's in the conversation. 

Earlier this year, Russia claimed if Ukraine joined NATO...that would cross Russia's Red Line.

I expect USA and EU will probably enact further sanctions against Russia.   USA and EU will probably not move troops and heavy equipment to Ukraine.  I think that Russia, EU, and USA moves will be measured, slow, and steady. The wildcard/tripwire?  The Ukraine government itself. 

If Ukraine feels that USA is abandoning Ukraine, then there is a possibility of Ukraine eventually attacking Donbas. This won't happen this year. Perhaps in three-five years.  That might incur Russian military reaction. 

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 16:32
I have a feeling I am the only Ukrainian citizen here as of now - so let me try to explain my view on the whole spectre (no James Bond pun intended) of things around the situation. 

I am the man that for some reason attracts Virgo women usually - perhaps, because I may be boring in my search for the roots of everything. I like to dig right till the beginning of the roots. 

To my mind, the main problem here is the general attitude to the former USSR. The massive western view implies that the USSR was broken because of people's fear of the KGB, because of people's hate towards the repressive regime, because the Soviet people wanted to breath a fresh air of freedom... Well, I would say that mainly the USSR was dissoluted in 1991 because the Party elites wanted to have free access to the western goods, and the ordinary people basically wanted the same. Consumerism has killed Totalitarian Socialism (Communism as such was a Utopian goal and thus obviously never achieved in the USSR). People heard about Disneyland, Terminator, Rambo, heavy metal, porn videos, hundreds of types of sausage - but mostly, certainly could not get to any of these. Later they would realise that hundreds of types of sausage mostly differ in label and chemical flavouring, not in "true old-school sausage" ingredients - that would be later. 

Me, I'm just 38 y.o., naturally I only remember the times of Perestroika. Fortunately, I used to talk to my parents, relatives, friends of my parents and relatives rather much when I was younger and they were still alive. I have enough information to analyze myself. What I want to say is that the USSR was obviously a deadborn slowly rotting body - it was destined to die from its very birth. BUT! John Bonham was also destined to die with his unacceptable behaviour when he was drunk. Jerry Lee Lewis happened to be an idiot. Freddie Mercury probably led a very suicidal life. John Lennon was not the most correct person on Earth. And so? Yet they lived for some time (Jerry continues doing so) and left the world somehow positively changed with their works. 

The USSR paved many ways, showed to the humankind what to do and what not to, it was an intriguing geopolitical, political, economical, social, scientific, spiritual, artistic (sic!) experiment. North Korea is a puny parody. Experiments like the Soviet one are inimitable and may only happen once in a lifetime of the Universe. I have no doubt that the USSR committed many crimes, mutilated many lives - like, well, any other huge civilisation, huge project, huge empire. I find it proper to compare the USSR to Monty Python; in my comprehension it was a Weird Empire - not an Evil Empire. Very Pythonesquely unpredictable and versatile, with dark and light pages. As I used to say, the USSR is "Hitler turned Hilter turned Heartli".

Like with any other good quality product (almost any, wellWink), the more time passed since its death in 1991 - the more many of its former citizens start to notice positive in its existence here and there. Brandy, rum, furniture, castles, the USSR - they all fall under the same category. They reveal their real "taste" after some time. 

Now, that was a prologue - noodlingly boring, boringly noodling. 

However, reckoning all of it, said above, the picture looks slightly different. First of all, an average Soviet citizen HAD NO any fear of the KGB, at all - since the death of Stalin in 1953 (and under Stalin it was technically not called KGB, at all). More so, in the last 3-5 years of the USSR existence... So, when the western mass media tells a mantra of "Putin is KGB", it's a scarecrow for the foreigners, actually. 

Second, LOTS, MILLIONS of former Soviet citizens remember lots of good, positive, superior sides of the Soviet reality. It doesn't mean they want the USSR back - it means they feel nostalgia, keep fond memories, want to dive in those times' art, movies, music, books. The USSR was a Universe in itself, a different planet on the planet Earth. Specific cultural codes, specific atmosphere, psychedelia without drugs kind of. Very few people really, in their clear sane mind want it back, even if they claim so (if only we all really wanted what we claim we do, you know). Everybody understands that the times have changed irreversibly. There were evidently bad aspects of the Soviet reality like for example a primitive and painful dentistry where anesthetics were used exclusively for pulling the teeth and nothing else... There indeed were shortages, lines for almost everything (though, let us be frank, not for bread or milk). On the other hand, monthly payment for electricity, running water, central heating, all that stuff constituted 10-15 rubles - an average monthly salary was around 130 rubles. Professors, top mathematicians, academicians earned like 500 rubles, by the way... There were counters only for consumed electricity which meant you could take a bath with hot water as many times as you liked without any impact on your family budget... 

Third, the top Soviet poets enjoyed the same level of popularity as the music stars in the West. Poets could gather a big concert hall with hundreds of fans of their works. Like in ancient or Renaissance times, yep. Ballet, theatre, music schools, technical sections - all for free, just go and participate and study! It is true that the toilet paper was a very rare type of goods to be found on the store shelves - but man, the Soviet citizens massively used paper napkins, old clothes, various rags, newspapers and... books (!) for the purpose! The books cost very little, so little that you could buy it and then use as the source for toilet paper... 

Now, to the core of my message. Of course, Russian post-Euromaidan narrative is overblown, exaggerated and wrongly compiled. Russian mass media used to say post-Euromaidan Ukraine was against the Russian-speaking people, against Russians living in Ukraine as such - which is bullfeces, to be honest. But, as usual, the truth lies somewhere in between the two positions. Euromaidan was essentially against the Russian Empire, Russian imperial past, present and future. It was not mentioned from the stage at the Maidan square per se - but it sure was so. 

Then, again, considering everything written by me above, the situation gets clearer: millions of Ukrainians also have fond memories of the Soviet time, they have relatives in Russia, they respect their past in one country under the Moscow rule. Post-2014 Ukraine essentially hints year by year that Russia is insignificant, backwardly, stupid country that always humiliated and murdered Ukrainians. Post-2014 Ukraine wants to lessen, loosen and then gradually cut the ties with Russia, wants to eliminate any positive traces of the Soviet past in the modern Ukrainian mindset. It certainly hurts lots of people in Ukraine. On the other side of the conflict, Russia wants to preserve natural historical ties with Ukraine. Russia wants to be an empire, at least in terms of prestige if not in terms of economical might. Russia with Ukraine looks much more geopolitically and economically convincing on a world stage than Russia with Ukraine as an enemy. 

Given that, it's not quite a question of language, as the Russian media used to say. For most of modern day Ukrainians there's no problem in using Ukrainian or Russian for they mostly know perfectly none of them...LOL  Most of Ukrainians tend to freely switch between the two languages, often mixing them insanely. 

The problem goes deeper. On the hidden long-distance level, it implies weakening Russia as the competitor in the geopolitical game. And the weakening of Ukraine, as well - because with all the turmoil, Russia is the old time relative, while the western countries are strange to Ukraine and naturally do not care about its fate that much.

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 16:57
^ You paint a somewhat rosy picture of the old Soviet empire, but no one I know who grew up in Poland or Lithuania would share that opinion.
I visited East Germany in the early 80s and it was the most unhappy place i have ever seen, zero night life, zero anything except a bare existence and plenty of military parades for western tourists like myself.

I'm a music teacher so I have known plenty of Russians, they are okay as people, but it seems their government tends to be cold and ruthless, always.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 17:33
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ You paint a somewhat rosy picture of the old Soviet empire, but no one I know who grew up in Poland or Lithuania would share that opinion.
I visited East Germany in the early 80s and it was the most unhappy place i have ever seen, zero night life, zero anything except a bare existence and plenty of military parades for western tourists like myself.

I'm a music teacher so I have known plenty of Russians, they are okay as people, but it seems their government tends to be cold and ruthless, always.

Because for the Soviet Russians and Ukrainians en masse it was their country and their regime - whether they liked both or not. For the countries de facto occupied by the USSR it was NOT their regime. Simple and clear. Poland and Czech Republic were absolutely non-suitable for Communism, at all. They are two classic democratic Capitalist countries in every possible meaning of the word. I would not just say for each and every Pole or Czech, though - but yes, on average, no true Pole likes the USSR, I agree. Though the centuries-long animosity towards Russia plays major role in such attitude, I suppose. 

The question of East Germany is way more complex... First of all, conscious, thinking Germans after WW2 sure felt the need to go through some sort of catharsis. While the Western part of Germany vividly incorporated former nazis in the political and economical life of the renewed country, East Germany tried to really get clean and white in this respect which mattered much for many contemporaries. Second, the ideas of socialism, even if totalitarian one, were not utterly alien for the German way of perceiving life... Social security (e.g., for young single mothers, et al) is still remembered with nostalgia by some former East German citizens, at least. 

As for Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians - three Baltic countries - I believe, they felt they were humiliated, repressed, oppressed and so on. Then a lot of things may be said on this topic: for example, how rather small Finland happened to defeat the Soviet occupiers while Lithuanians did not?.. As far as I heard from an (anti-Soviet liberal!) Russian historian, Finns actively defended their homeland, the Baltic countries bowed before their invaders very soon... Plus to that, I'm not so sure Lithuania would have been more prosperous if it existed independently in those times. Such small countries on the borders of geopolitical giants usually become trampled by some neighbour's boots - and there's no solution to this problem. Hawaii, anyone?.. OK, I understand that for most Hawaiians inclusion in the USA seems like blessing - but anyway, Hawaii fits perfect for military bases of the USA and that is why it would never become independent, no matter what its inhabitants really think... The same for Baltic states in Stalin pre-WW2 times, they were located critically close to border, to Leningrad. 

-------------
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 17:39

Can't say for people from Poland or Lithuania, but in many ways his observation is fair.

It seems your visit to East Germany was pretty short, if you saw only military parades. Wasn't it?

I have known plenty of Russians, they are okay as people, but it seems their government tends to be cold and ruthless, always.
Universal statement, always true, even if you replace Russians with any other nation. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 17:54
^ I expected the 'all governments are bad' line, but comparing the soviet government to the other governments I encountered in Europe, it was all the difference in the world. The soviet country had no freedom of movement, no one was out at night at all and there was nowhere to go anyway.
The soviets were the only government that searched my belongings and pulled me into a little room to ask about some punk rock records I bought in Denmark.

Tomorrow night, my best friend from soviet Poland will be here and I will try to get her to come on here and tell you about life under the soviets.
I have no problem admitting to the evils that the US government commits around the world, which makes me wonder why anyone would scramble to paint a rosy picture of one of the most ruthless governments of modern times.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 18:13

^ I expected the 'all governments are bad' line, but comparing the soviet government to the other governments I encountered in Europe, it was all the difference in the world. The soviet country had no freedom of movement, no one was out at night at all and there was nowhere to go anyway.
The soviets were the only government that searched my belongings and pulled me into a little room to ask about some punk rock records I bought in Denmark.

Tomorrow night, my best friend from soviet Poland will be here and I will try to get her to come on here and tell you about life under the soviets.
I have no problem admitting to the evils that the US government commits around the world, which makes me wonder why anyone would scramble to paint a rosy picture of one of the most ruthless governments of modern times.

Unfortunately, I have to go to sleep - so I will gladly hear your recollections and opinions a bit later. But, briefly, I must add that I as the religious person (I hope so) and the person that went through many different obstacles on my way and the person that changed his mind a lot on many things in life - I simply used to go up to the meta level (I'm not a FB employee, it's not a hidden ad therefore Smile). I climb to the meta levels of it all. 

For, yes, there was extremely little to no nightlife under Communists. Yes, the foreigners were met with suspicion. Yes, you couldn't just go and buy what you wanted. But... I don't know... I used to think it requires a pinch of humour to meditate upon such burdens in life. Burdens were counterbalanced by a very unique inimitable atmosphere. Can there be a freedom in an unfree society? It looks like yes, retrospectively.

As the popular Russian joke's punchline nails, "How much do you know about the fairies?"... 
Good night!

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 18:17

The soviet country had no freedom of movement, no one was out at night at all and there was nowhere to go anyway.

It's probably deeper than your friend from Poland can say. Every coin has two sides. That's what Woon Deadn tells about. But it's in vain if you keep on repeating the same mantras like "no freedom of movement", "there was nowhere to go anyway" etc.

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 18:27
^ Those are not mantras, they are reality. Nowhere to go in soviet Germany because nothing is open, all darkness and everyone in their home.
When did you visit or live in a soviet country?

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 18:34

The nature of the threat changed after WWII, and the stakes got much higher. The MAD doctrine deterred another global conflict, but it doesn't eliminate the threat altogether. The risk of miscalculation - counting on your opponent not cross the line - would be the probable cause of another global conflict IMO, and it's important to note that the treaties put in place to reduce nuclear arsenals have been ditched by Washington & Moscow. There is the school of thought on both sides, that in light of new developments in missile technology, nuclear conflict could be fought, limited, contained and crucially 'won' so basically MAD no longer stands (or so some believe) This also increases the risk.

In any case, that's getting too far ahead. Neither side actually want that, and the more immediate threat is to the people of Ukraine.

I think the Western side is even more likely to stick to MAD because they stand to lose a lot, lot more if London and New York City were nuked.  Russia is a little less dependent on high finance (even though Moscow does form a huge part of its economy) and also has a history of imposing far more suffering on a people who will gladly endure it compared to Europeans or Americans.  So the risk of the US/NATO/AUKUS going all the way to say screw you to MAD is low at least in a conflict with Russia. What MAY happen is if NATO makes big moves to control Ukraine, Russia attacks it and then US imposes even more sanctions. Which is basically what has been going happening through the second half and onwards of Putin's rule.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 19:00

You could be describing lots of places in India that are not named Mumbai (and maybe even parts of Mumbai).  If you have a weak state where there aren't enough police to cover the land and where the police are corrupt and demotivated anyway thanks to constant interference by politicians, you get the same outcome.  There are lots of places in India, including the bustling Noida region right next to Delhi, where it wouldn't be safe, particularly for women, to venture out at night and lots of places which are simply way too provincial to have the Western concept of nightlife.  But you know, that doesn't look like such a bad thing for people who don't know a different life.  Like, just have dinner at home and watch TV and tuck in?  

Maslow's hierarchy applies.  If there is a country where people's basic needs are met to the extent where they don't even have to worry that they won't have enough MONEY to pay for them, other aspects may not matter so much to them.  Now would I as a Mumbaiite who grew up in post-liberalization India settle for THAT?  Nope! And I say that as a bookish guy who doesn't really fancy getting drunk (as opposed to drinking a couple of pegs) and clubbing it out...because I want to be able to step out all alone at 3 AM if I have to or want to. But I can certainly understand how small towners may think all this nightlife business is just wasteful excess and indulgence and to a certain extent, it is. So if you think people deprived of nightlife would be terribly unhappy, you would be wrong.  

AND...where the Indian state, weak and ineffective as always, embraced controls but still failed repeatedly to provide the basics to the people until it finally bankrupted itself and needed to open the economy for an IMF loan, the Soviet state did succeed in providing the basics and raising the average living standards even if nobody could be as wealthy as in Europe/North America. The Indian state under Nehru and his daughter only aspired, very unsuccessfully, to achieve what USSR could w.r.t its citizens.

Until, as Woon Deadn says (and this is what some very erudite Russians on Quora including the wonderful Dima say too), the Russian party elites themselves got tired of this life of comfortable austerity and decided to break up the USSR and grab whatever part of the ensuing loot they could.  I think reflecting on the post-1991 chaos is also important as a way to understand why Putin is unshakable.  While Western media celebrated the arrival of democracy (with TIME being so impertinent as to celebrate US' intervention to help Yelstin win a re-election bid he was losing), for the average Russian it was a time of terrible economic devastation.  Putin gives at least an appearance of being in control and in command.  To what extent he actually is, I cannot say.  But this is what I have gleaned from listening to what Russians who no longer have to watch their words (at least in the way they had to in Soviet times) have to say. 

Again, I am not a leftie and definitely don't want the USSR back because from my Indian perspective, it was a failure for us.  But I am just trying to provide a different point of view.  A lot of older generation people in India in fact do regret that India had to 'give up' and embrace a Western way of managing the economy even if they would gladly accept there was no alternative in 1991.  Because it was the death of a dream...from their perspective.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 19:14
^ People not being out and about because of crime could also apply to parts of the US. I do live in the murder capital of the US and there are some neighborhoods that you do not wander about at night, but comparing that to soviet Germany is like comparing apples and oranges.
Why was no one out at 8 pm in soviet Germany, why was nothing open? Maybe everyone was at home dreaming of great communist utopia.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 19:34

^ People not being out and about because of crime could also apply to parts of the US. I do live in the murder capital of the US and there are some neighborhoods that you do not wander about at night, but comparing that to soviet Germany is like comparing apples and oranges.
Why was no one out at 8 pm in soviet Germany, why was nothing open? Maybe everyone was at home dreaming of great communist utopia.

That's East Germany and not Russia or Ukraine. This has been pointed out to you already. So if you would rather go by your experience in East Germany than what people living in Ukraine say, then oh well, gonna leave it there.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 19:38
^ I have also mentioned the recollections of many friends from other soviet countries. Based on personal experience and the recollections I have heard from others, I cannot possibly see much positive about the soviet empire and the countries that they kept under their thumb, often through brutal means. If it worked well for some Russians, no surprise there, they were not the country being occupied by force.
I did visit other communist countries, they were better than East Germany, but still, no thanks.

Here in the Memphis area, because I am a music teacher and someone who can supply wedding or party music, I have been recommended to the East European community. Its not unusual for immigrants from a certain part of the world to band together, and such is the case here. I know Ukrainians, Lithuanians, Russians, Polish people and more, The idea of any of these people saying something positive about the soviets is not going to happen, ever.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 20:53

^ I have also mentioned the recollections of many friends from other soviet countries. Based on personal experience and the recollections I have heard from others, I cannot possibly see much positive about the soviet empire and the countries that they kept under their thumb, often through brutal means. If it worked well for some Russians, no surprise there, they were not the country being occupied by force.
I did visit other communist countries, they were better than East Germany, but still, no thanks.

Here in the Memphis area, because I am a music teacher and someone who can supply wedding or party music, I have been recommended to the East European community. Its not unusual for immigrants from a certain part of the world to band together, and such is the case here. I know Ukrainians, Lithuanians, Russians, Polish people and more, The idea of any of these people saying something positive about the soviets is not going to happen, ever.

Again, this is what you don't get. Because you don't see it and people you have met (who either defected or just exited the clusterf**k after 1991) don't, doesn't mean everyone sees it that way. Nobody is saying the USSR was objectively good. Just that happiness or the lack of it doesn't get reduced to nightlife and the ability to roam around after 8 PM. It's much more relative. I am sure there are people who are genuinely, unironically happy even in Afghanistan right now.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 21:31
^ Sure, there are those that miss communism, but by and large, the soviet empire was not a good thing for Eastern Europe. Talk to people who endured those times, they can tell you. How many people in Eastern Europe would want the soviets controlling their country again? Not very many.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 21:40
I think it's fair to say that ALL human systems have failed for the most part but when it comes to comparing different -isms, i have to go with who has produced the most prog!

[&amp;#8203;IMG]

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 23:17

^ Sure, there are those that miss communism, but by and large, the soviet empire was not a good thing for Eastern Europe. Talk to people who endured those times, they can tell you. How many people in Eastern Europe would want the soviets controlling their country again? Not very many.

Sure but nobody wants a few corporations controlling so much of our lives either. We now see that wokeism and cancel culture can also be used to suppress speech while keeping it completely out of the purview of the First Amendment. Which only suggests powerlessness on the part of elected govts to do anything to resist corporations...well, the corporations that contribute massively to their election campaigns. The capitalist-democratic system is terribly corrupted too and the response to 2008 shows clearly that govts only lean on the side of what the corporates want, not what the electorate wants. And it's easy to use social media to fuel polarisation to a point where you can completely confuse the picture as to what the electorate wants and thus reduce it to a stalemate.

So I don't see how people can be terribly happy with capitalist democracy either unless they buy into propaganda in a fashion bot entirely dissimilar to Soviet propaganda. The truth is we are just stuck with what is called capitalist realism. Capitalism sucks but there is no alternative. But pre-91, there was at least an alternative so there was at least an incentive for corporations and politicians to serve the people at least occasionally. Now they have us by the balls.

Date Posted: December 07 2021 at 23:19
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That's East Germany and not Russia or Ukraine. This has been pointed out to you already. So if you would rather go by your experience in East Germany than what people living in Ukraine say, then oh well, gonna leave it there.

In former Warsaw Block, Eastern Germany was kind of a "wet dream", their life standard was highest, even young KGB spy Putin succeeded to move there for buying his first car, the "Lada".

Both Russia and Ukraine were way different - corruption, empty shops' shelves, thousands of drunk workers returning back home after shift from their factories.
Speaking about mid 80s - absolute system decay (because of dramatically low oil export prices, mane engine of SU economics). Indifferent people, no-future mentality, even no-today...

Main Westerners problem is they somehow counting Russia as European country what it is not and never was.   True, their educated elite is strongly Europe-influenced, at least for last two hundred years, but the rest of population (i.i. more than 100 mln)are not much different mentally from their Chinggis Khan era ancestors. They are still living in Great Empire, believing that one day really GOOD Tsar (or Khan, you chose) will come and their life will become much better. Them are waiting for detailed instructions from their authorities how to live, and expecting to get some bread and butter as a compensation for loyalty.

Because of my current job, I am interviewing face to face hundreds of people who just came to Europe from Central Asia (yes, current illegal migrants). You can't imagine what just regular Kurd or Iraqi Yazidi thinks how the world is turning on. Russia's mentality is right in the middle between them and Europe.

Westerners repeat same mistakes again and again trying to export democracy to the worlds, which are organized at absolutely different basis (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, etc) Central Asian mentality is a way different and wouldn't change soon or ever. To understand what Russian thinks or will do, one need to start with understanding how "Eurasia" works

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:18
Hi Rogerthat, I think you misunderstand me. I'm not debating capitalism vs communism, nor would I deny the corruption in modern capitalist countries.
I'm just saying that most East Europeans did not like being ruled by the invading Soviets. No one likes living under martial law, at least no one I've ever met.

I was curious, did you ever get to visit a soviet country or do you know personally anyone from a soviet bloc country. I'm not talking about people on the internet, but real friends, people you make eye contact with, shake hands with, have sexual relations with, whatever. What is your info on life in a soviet bloc country based on?

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:18
and the really bad guy is..... 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:26

Hi Rogerthat, I think you misunderstand me. I'm not debating capitalism vs communism, nor would I deny the corruption in modern capitalist countries.
I'm just saying that most East Europeans did not like being ruled by the invading Soviets. No one likes living under martial law, at least no one I've ever met.

I was curious, did you ever get to visit a soviet country or do you know personally anyone from a soviet bloc country. I'm not talking about people on the internet, but real friends, people you make eye contact with, shake hands with, have sexual relations with, whatever. What is your info on life in a soviet bloc country based on?

My father did a lot of business with Russia for many years so I have heard accounts of what Russians think from him. I don't think trading rule by a totalitarian govt for rule by mafia is a great bargain. I also never said people want Soviet rule back so you either misunderstand or misconstrue me. I am saying something similar to what Wood Deadn said. That there are reasons why the state of Russia today would make people reflect fondly on Soviet rule. And those reasons are not reducible to presence or absence of nightlife.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:48

and the really bad guy is..... 

LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:50
Okay Roger, I was talking about people who were raised in soviet bloc countries and the stories they tell about martial law, disappearing relatives, empty store shelves etc.

As far as Russians go, I've known quite a few Russians, once more part of the territory when you are a music teacher. I used to teach in San Francisco and there is a very large Russian community there. Russians are a unique bunch and I would not try to speak for them, if you know some Russians who preferred the USSR, then I wouldn't argue with that, and I wouldn't be surprised much, although most Russians I know in the states wanted to get away from the USSR. On the other hand, I have Russian friends who tell me about relatives back home who love Putin and the old days.
But this is not the same as living in an eastern bloc country. As I already mentioned, I've never met anyone who thinks living under martial law is preferable. If you want to read about martial law in Eastern bloc countries, just google it and you can see the pictures of soviet tanks rumbling down main street.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:08

Okay Roger, I was talking about people who were raised in soviet bloc countries and the stories they tell about martial law, disappearing relatives, empty store shelves etc.

As far as Russians go, I've known quite a few Russians, once more part of the territory when you are a music teacher. I used to teach in San Francisco and there is a very large Russian community there. Russians are a unique bunch and I would not try to speak for them, if you know some Russians who preferred the USSR, then I wouldn't argue with that, and I wouldn't be surprised much, although most Russians I know in the states wanted to get away from the USSR. On the other hand, I have Russian friends who tell me about relatives back home who love Putin and the old days.
But this is not the same as living in an eastern bloc country. As I already mentioned, I've never met anyone who thinks living under martial law is preferable.

I have already said before that I wasn't talking about the experience in the Eastern Bloc but in Russia itself. Countries like Poland or Czech Republic have done well after the breakup of the USSR. Russia as such hasn't. It has stabilized under Putin but the Yeltsin years were disastrous. This is what I had said too in my first post on this topic. That Putin enjoys a lot of support precisely because of the chaos of the 90s. And Putin himself said something to the effect that the collapse of the USSR was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century but that only a fool would want it back. That sums it up well. I will add here that along the lines of what snobb said, in the Central Asian region, an authoritarian regime is seen as the norm and not as a horrible aberration. So the notion of a govt that provides enough for people to get by but points guns at dissenters plays very differently there as compared to Europe.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:17
^ Okay, I would agree with a lot of that, but it seems earlier maybe you were downplaying the misery of living under the rule of an invading country that imposes martial law on its subjects and sends tanks down main street in a show of power.
I would highly suggest you seek first hand stories about life in Eastern Europe, because when I was young I had thought this was just US propaganda, I had to see it for myself, so I went there. A good source is the above mentioned Snobb (Slava), who can tell you what it was like and what he is concerned about today.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:24
Back to Ukraine, there in fact are two Ukraines in one nowadays. Being for centuries a part of Western Civilization (as part of Great Dutchy of Lithuania and later a part of Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth state), eastern part of it has been lost for Russian Empire. Western Ukraine stayed part of Europe till WWII (as Part of Austro-Hungarian Empire, Poland, etc). Eastern part experienced heavy russification, after WWII both parts stayed occupied by Russia as part of USSR.

Western Ukraine never accepted Eurasian occupation, Eastern Ukraine has been quite loyal, often pro-Russian. As post-Soviet state, Ukraine was a conglomerate of two quite different mentalities, that's the reason of many their problems. Still, after some last years, after Russian occupied Crimea and part of E.Ukraine, de facto they pushed bigger part of Ukrainians towards West, forming new pro-European nation. This way, Russian lost one of the very few friends in the worlds they ever had

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:29
^ Which part of Ukraine is your wife from? If you don't mind me asking.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:36
my wife is from Serbia :))))))

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:37

I don't know whom you met but I know lots of people who lived in East Germany at the time (I'm writing as a West German who didn't live that far from the old border). It wasn't a happy time but nightlife they had for sure! And there's some of that nostagia for that time, too, that Woon Deadn has mentioned, maybe not as much as in Russia, but still.  

By the way, if you know German, some music of the time will tell you about it. There are even traced on some albums listed here, "Der eine und der andere" from Stern Meissen's Stundenschlag for example.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:39

my wife is from Serbia :))))))
My bad, thinking of another friend apparently.   

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:43

I don't know whom you met but I know lots of people who lived in East Germany at the time (I'm writing as a West German who didn't live that far from the old border). It wasn't a happy time but nightlife they had for sure! And there's some of that nostagia for that time, too, that Woon Deadn has mentioned, maybe not as much as in Russia, but still. 

I was in East Berlin, summer of 1983. It was dead as a doorknob by 8 pm. From my high rise hotel room I could see the nightlife on the west side.
1983 was near the end of soviet martial law in many countries, so maybe they were still under some restrictions. I would also imagine things were stricter in East Berlin than other parts of the country.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 04:01

I was in East Berlin, summer of 1983. It was dead as a doorknob by 8 pm. From my high rise hotel room I could see the nightlife on the west side.
1983 was near the end of soviet martial law in many countries, so maybe they were still under some restrictions. I would also imagine things were stricter in East Berlin than other parts of the country.

I used to live in Söke/Aydın which is about 15-20 kilometres from Kuşadası. It is also very close to Bodrum, İzmir, Çeşme etc. In Söke, when the sun is (about to be) down, you're like in an uncanny ghost town. Dangerous too. But, just some kilometres away, you can have all kinds of fun till the morning. I'm clueless about East Germany, but it could be similar there too.

I'm clueless about East Germany.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 04:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am hoping that this is merely a case of Putin waving his Willy at the world. I am not overly confident that is the case, because if there is one thing which unites all despots is that they hate to lose face.

BTW, Hugues makes a very valid point regarding EU expansion and what is perceived to be encroaching on areas Russia traditionally regards as its own.

Yup, as the Occident, we need Moscow to remain master of Siberia. Because every year, there are a couple millions of Chinese emigrating to Yakutia and Kamchatka. Given the respective birth rate, we can fear that eastern Siberia will be Chinese in 50 years or so.  AFAIAC, having China setting a foothold in the Artic is totally inacceptable if only for Climate change reasons. 

Back to Ukraine, there in fact are two Ukraines in one nowadays. Being for centuries a part of Western Civilization (as part of Great Dutchy of Lithuania and later a part of Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth state), eastern part of it has been lost for Russian Empire. Western Ukraine stayed part of Europe till WWII (as Part of Austro-Hungarian Empire, Poland, etc). Eastern part experienced heavy russification, after WWII both parts stayed occupied by Russia as part of USSR.

Western Ukraine never accepted Eurasian occupation, Eastern Ukraine has been quite loyal, often pro-Russian. As post-Soviet state, Ukraine was a conglomerate of two quite different mentalities, that's the reason of many their problems. Still, after some last years, after Russian occupied Crimea and part of E.Ukraine, de facto they pushed bigger part of Ukrainians towards West, forming new pro-European nation. This way, Russian lost one of the very few friends in the worlds they ever had

Generally agreed (read my post of yesterday eveningWink).

But indeed, if Ukraine wants to get rid of the Eurasian plains (or more likely the people living there), than it should let it go. TBH, ever since the crisis was started by the EC, I've come to best solution is that the Ukrainian North-west should let go the Russian south-east (which incorporates Crimea in the south. This could appease the area (not likely, though), but if Ukraine still wants Nato or the EC, it won't do...... Unless the EC & Nato strike a deal or partnership with Moscow.

I've always perceived Ukrainians (well those that are not my cleaning ladies)LOL as those savages living in western wooded hills and creating pogroms well before it happened in other lands and modernized by the Nazis. If the Ukrainian nationalist are claiming the Austro-Hungarian heritage, then I suspect that it's because the "purification" after WW2 didn't happen in the area. 

BTW, my sister-in-law is half Russian (her uncle was a star dancer in the Bolshoi) , half Moldavian/Romanian from the Bessarabia region (now halfway in Ukraine) and she largely agrees with me. But most of her Russian family now live in Canada or Bavaria

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 04:47

Sir, whether it's unjust or whatever, being small is always unproductive in our world - when smb/smth is small, its/his/her/their fate is always decided by somebody/somebuddies else. Fine, when it's good parents. In case of countries, there are no parents, have never been. Russia, Ukraine, Belarus are big enough countries to digest the repressions, digest millions of killed and imprisoned, forgive or even forget them (or not forgive and not forget but still move on) and go further. Small countries like three Baltic ones or say it, the western provinces of Ukraine (that used to hold an isolated microcosmic life within their own ethnic minority group for centuries) are simply not able to forget that, they are too small to move on, or too proud to move on, or both for that matter. When you are not going to move on, there's no need to look up to the skies to find the highest meanings of what's happened and what is goin' to happen. When you are offended over the top, you look for no reasons, no explanations, you don't notice the details, the shades of senses, the shades of sense. It's just one big trauma that makes you blind. Though there's a masochistic comfort in such a state, such state is fruitless and senseless. 

You say about russified Eastern Ukraine. OK, let's talk about independence movement in Provence! Do you know that this region in France was also very freedom-loving, they differed from other French regions quite enough to be considered a distinct entity on the world map. But somehow they were included, assimilated, became the part of France. Hundreds of languages disappeared in the history of humankind. Because some state projects happened to be more useful, more powerful than the others. More passionate and more unified state projects ate the weaker and less unified ones up. This is life. Who planned and gave orders to build Ukrainian cities like Kharkiv, Odessa, Dnipro(petrovsk)? It was Russian Empire! Those who planned, designed, gave money, gave orders - those people reasonably brought their language with them and planted it as the language of the people in power. Villages were Ukrainian-speaking and they mostly still are, even in the Eastern Ukraine. But you can't build a modern civilised country based on village people. You have to urbanise. Urbanisation in the eastern Ukraine was held by Russian Empire and then the Soviet Union. What you'd expect then? If the Russians build you cities, they bring you their language. It is legitimate, I think. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 05:58
yeh, Brits urbanized India, where they are now? True, Indians still speak English o:)

the difference between British Empire and Russian Empire is mainly Brits bring to India Western civilization - technologies, industry, common organization. And they left in time when understood that India is no more their colony...

what Russian Empire gave to colonized Ukraine - Golodomor (death of few millions Ukrainians from hunger because Russian occupants took the foodstuff from Ukraine to Russia to support their own population), corruption (which is biggest problem in Ukraine till now), Eurasian culture of spiting on the streets and throwing garbage right where you are, alcoholism? And they still can't forgive that Ukraine don't want to be and Eurasian colony anymore?

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 06:13

BTW, my sister-in-law is half Russian (her uncle was a star dancer in the Bolshoi) , half Moldavian/Romanian from the Bessarabia region (now halfway in Ukraine) and she largely agrees with me. But most of her Russian family now live in Canada or Bavaria

one fantastic thing about Russians is they are big patriots of their country, but at any possibility are trying to leave it for West :))))
we have here in my home town few thousands Russian families living constantly (I'm speaking about Russia citizens, not Lithuanians of Russian origin), and that number is growing fast. During the nice weekend evening in Old Town about one third of people walking speak Russian (Russia's Russian, not domestic one). But if you'll speak with some of them about Russia, almost everyone of them will say that Russia is best country in the world, and the West is "gay-ropa",rotten fascists.

that is fantastic Eurasian illogicality - they adore their country, but just hate to live there because the life there is real sh..t

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 06:22

Your experiences are very limited. True, there wasn't remotely as much nightlife as in the west, particularly people were not out on the streets in the night for reasons other than getting from A to B, and many people got up at 5:30 and didn't care. But there were pubs and bars and student clubs, and of course house parties. There was a curfew, as far as I know depending on the place and day of week at 23:00 or midnight. Maybe nobody was out after 8 where you were, I have no idea, but it's just not true that there wasn't any nightlife. (Same for Czechoslovakia & Poland by the way, in the eighties they had jazz clubs, I don't know much about how it was in other countries.) 

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 06:29
LOLLOLLOL

one fantastic thing about Russians is they are big patriots of their country, but at any possibility are trying to leave it for West :))))
we have here in my home town few thousands Russian families living constantly (I'm speaking about Russia citizens, not Lithuanians of Russian origin), and that number is growing fast. During the nice weekend evening in Old Town about one third of people walking speak Russian (Russia's Russian, not domestic one). But if you'll speak with some of them about Russia, almost everyone of them will say that Russia is best country in the world, and the West is "gay-ropa",rotten fascists.

that is fantastic Eurasian illogicality - they adore their country, but just hate to live there because the life there is real sh..t

LOLLOLLOL

BTW, this is even truer for their women, who will follow almost any stranger out of the country, just to escape the local males alcoholics.  Seriously I pity Russian women , knowing the abuse they get everyday. 

==================

in the case of my sister-in-law, they (whole family) arrived in 75 in Toronto - and TBH, the Romanian/Moldova side is dominant (their last name is not Russian-sounding at all), but they still think of the Ukrainians as savages. 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 06:36

But indeed, if Ukraine wants to get rid of the Eurasian plains (or more likely the people living there), than it should let it go. TBH, ever since the crisis was started by the EC, I've come to best solution is that the Ukrainian North-west should let go the Russian south-east (which incorporates Crimea in the south. This could appease the area (not likely, though), but if Ukraine still wants Nato or the EC, it won't do...... Unless the EC & Nato strike a deal or partnership with Moscow.

You mean like giving Hitler the parts of Czechoslovakia where there was a strong German minority? The experience of what happened next does not look very promising to Ukraine. And Russia was involved in that, too. 

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:46

You mean like giving Hitler the parts of Czechoslovakia where there was a strong German minority? The experience of what happened next does not look very promising to Ukraine. And Russia was involved in that, too. 
You know, after the two WW, in those regions, there were more millions of people displaced from where they lived than there were total dead (including in death camps) and frontiers/borders were moved and it still hasn't worked out. An yet, still valid IMHO for the ex-Yugoslavian republics and its sub-republics (Kosovo & Vojvodina). 

Separate the belligerents, whenever possible, since they don't want to live together.Ouch 
Separate the arseholes who don't want to deal with the other arseholes in front of them.Evil Smile

Furthermore, in those same regions, there are still internal conflicts that can brew: Hungary, Slovakia and Romania have strong Gypsy/Tzigan/Roms issues as well. 

Not to mention regional tensions inside the westerns countries like Ireland, GB (Scotland), Spain (Basque, Catalan), France (Corsican & Bretons), Belgium (Flemish & Walloons), Netherlands (Frisians), Italy (Sardinia & Sicily, Liga of the North) etc.... 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:56
Re Lewian: You are right, I'm hardly an expert on nightlife in communist bloc countries. I was just sharing one of my experiences while visiting communist countries in the early 80s. I would be more than happy to hear you or anyone else's experiences while visiting, or living in an East European communist bloc country.
I know at least one person in this thread grew up that way.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 08:15
there generally were NO night life in Soviet Union, with few exception

Poland or E.Germany looked as a dream for Soviet people, there were even jazz clubs in few cities

In my hometown (population around 500 000 at that time) there were up to 15 restaurants, which were often half-empty, but you needed to give 5 or 10 rubles to the old man on the door secretly and only after he could probably let you in (to compare - my mother's salary was around 60 rubles/month)

There were a three vinyl LP shops in town, usually with some folk, lots of classics and some dusted Communist hymns on the shelves. On the day where new pop and rock albums were supplied there were plenty of people on the door for the time of the opening, you needed to wait sometimes two or three hours and to buy ABBA or The Beatles album (and I'm speaking about mid 80's!) if lucky.

All borders were closed, to leave country for touristic trip you needed to receive so-called "External Passport" (everyone had regular passports(internal) which were valid only inside the SU). To receive that Internal Passport was an extra difficult mission, normally you needed to know some people in Communist structures to succeed.

There was an illegal "black market" for rock music albums, imported as contraband, on the suburbs of town, I've been an active member when in University :). You could buy there for example a new Black Sabbath album at the price of 70-80 rubles (average Soviet monthly salary). Every month once or twice the militia made the raids catching illegal sellers/buyers and we tried to run off into closest forest to escape.

The alcohol was extremely cheap comparing with other goods so main simple people entertainment was drinking - drinking a lot. Salaries on a big state factories have been paid twice a month, so these days you can see full town of drunk men returning slowly from their work home, sometimes sleeping on the grass in a town squares.

True, Communist authorities were not all that happy because of total alcoholism, it has serious negative impact on economics, but from other hand multi-million population which was always half-drunk, wasn't worry about politics and future at all. Half-drunk Soviets were convenient for being ruled.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 08:33
^ Thank you. What about during martial law, such as in Poland 1981 to 1983, were there still clubs open during that time? I will be seeing a Polish friend this evening, so I will ask her as well. You two do have very similar recollections.
Re the drinking you mention, this is what I saw in Yugoslavia, a lot of unemployed government supported people drinking very heavily, but they were a great bunch to party with.

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 08:38

there generally were NO night life in Soviet Union, with few exception

Poland or E.Germany looked as a dream for Soviet people, there were even jazz clubs in few cities

In my hometown (population around 500 000 at that time) there were up to 15 restaurants, which were often half-empty, but you needed to give 5 or 10 rubles to the old man on the door secretly and only after he could probably let you in (to compare - my mother's salary was around 60 rubles/month)

There were a three vinyl LP shops in town, usually with some folk, lots of classics and some dusted Communist hymns on the shelves. On the day where new pop and rock albums were supplied there were plenty of people on the door for the time of the opening, you needed to wait sometimes two or three hours and to buy ABBA or The Beatles album (and I'm speaking about mid 80's!) if lucky.

All borders were closed, to leave country for touristic trip you needed to receive so-called "External Passport" (everyone had regular passports(internal) which were valid only inside the SU). To receive that Internal Passport was an extra difficult mission, normally you needed to know some people in Communist structures to succeed.

There was an illegal "black market" for rock music albums, imported as contraband, on the suburbs of town, I've been an active member when in University :). You could buy there for example a new Black Sabbath album at the price of 70-80 rubles (average Soviet monthly salary). Every month once or twice the militia made the raids catching illegal sellers/buyers and we tried to run off into closest forest to escape.

The alcohol was extremely cheap comparing with other goods so main simple people entertainment was drinking - drinking a lot. Salaries on a big state factories have been paid twice a month, so these days you can see full town of drunk men returning slowly from their work home, sometimes sleeping on the grass in a town squares.

True, Communist authorities were not all that happy because of total alcoholism, it has serious negative impact on economics, but from other hand multi-million population which was always half-drunk, wasn't worry about politics and future at all. Half-drunk Soviets were convenient for being ruled.

That's exactly what my Russian, Polish, and Ukrainian friends told me.  Rock Music and Blue Jeans were expensive. 

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 08:44
my grandma bought first TRUE blue jeans to me on a black market and paid 200 rubles (or 2,5 average monthly salaries of a Soviet man). it was Wrangler!

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 09:42

yeh, Brits urbanized India, where they are now? True, Indians still speak English o:)

the difference between British Empire and Russian Empire is mainly Brits bring to India Western civilization - technologies, industry, common organization. And they left in time when understood that India is no more their colony...

what Russian Empire gave to colonized Ukraine - Golodomor (death of few millions Ukrainians from hunger because Russian occupants took the foodstuff from Ukraine to Russia to support their own population), corruption (which is biggest problem in Ukraine till now), Eurasian culture of spiting on the streets and throwing garbage right where you are, alcoholism? And they still can't forgive that Ukraine don't want to be and Eurasian colony anymore?

Sir, an inhabitant of a small Baltic country speaks with your mouth... Too offended to look up to the skies.

First, you haven't witnessed the level of alcohol consumption in Poland yet... They say, the very word vodka may be of Polish origin, by the way.

Second, Indians and other peoples from the region that want to achieve something in this world, pretty much speak English. Freddie Mercury is the first example that comes to mind. Intrinsic Asian name of Freddie Mercury... 

Third, generalisation is a bad advisor. Western countries looked for colonies somewhere far, in Asia and Africa, far from their borders. Russia colonized the space near its borders. Ukrainian and Russian languages belong to the same family, same group, same whatever you want. They are closely related languages. Any of the Indian languages are not that closely related to English - some of them very distantly are, some not at all. Can you see the difference between the two situations? 

Fourth, the word Holodomor seems to be a direct clone of the Czech word Hladomor - interesting, what was the need to copy the word from the other language, the language that most of Ukrainians can't understand, unless they are West Ukrainians?.. The term applying to the famine in Ukraine in 1932-1933 first appeared in Canadian press in the late 1970s. The word mysteriously resembles the word Holocaust, don't you think? Is it a coincidence? Maybe. 
My maternal parents both were children in 1932-33, granma lived in a relatively rich family, grandad lived in a pure poor one. NONE of their families has died, for all I know. Indeed, my granma once recalled that there was "oh so terrible famine". However, again, NOBODY from their families seemed to die - and they got really big families, like five brothers and sisters, etc. The famine also happened all over the Soviet Union, percentage-wise it was Kazakhstan that suffered most. Was it constructed specifically to kill Ukrainians? Perhaps. But if you are aware of the Russian way of life, Russian way of doing things, you may believe the famine was the consequence of a permanent Russian chaos. Or to be more PA-friendly, the famine was the consequence of an eclectic nature of Russian statehood. Eclectic prog, you know. 
Was there a famine? Definitely! What caused it? God only knows, literally! For your information, it is well-known to researchers that the Soviet power disliked the village people at all, as the class. Villagers were too free, had some land in their property, could easily hide themselves or hide someone/something, were impossible to bug. Village people were alien to the Soviet regime. ALL of them, not only in Ukraine. 

Fifth, British Empire is certainly sinless. They took Indians as their equal, as their friends. Agreed!

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 10:58
"size is a matter"

Eurasian Imperialism is all in these three words, it just looked all that stayed in XIX century...
After 30 yrs, I'm loosing a bite understanding Eurasian mentality, you refreshed my knowledge in a moment

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 11:31

"size is a matter"

Eurasian Imperialism is all in these three words, it just looked all that stayed in XIX century...
After 30 yrs, I'm loosing a bite understanding Eurasian mentality, you refreshed my knowledge in a moment

Don't get me wrong, in our dreams, size doesn't matter. In some Hollywood movies, size doesn't matter. I fully agree that we as the humankind according to... best traditions... reckoning the bla-bla la-la etc et al have to... has to... obliged to... 
But there's also a real life. Where the American government has the right to land the plane of the Bolivian president and the Belarusian government has no right to land a commercial plane - although the official state presidential plane is impenetrable by international law. Unless you're a pirate, or the USA. Belarus is small, USA is big. That simple. 

You're simply living in a very dream-like state of mind. That's your right, sir. 

Again, try to think of a mysterious coincidence between the terms Holodomor and Holocaust. A divine coincidence, I'd say. Or a ciane coincidence?..

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 12:02
since I've been living for years near people from Eurasia, with your type of mentality, I understand your point of you. Don't really think modern world is still same as in XX century. Mr.Putin would be proud of you though :)

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 12:20

since I've been living for years near people from Eurasia, with your type of mentality, I understand your point of you. Don't really think modern world is still same as in XX century. Mr.Putin would be proud of you though :)

I wouldn't even say I'm a fan of Putin. I'm a fan of Gentle Giant. I'm a fan of grapefruit. But the world doesn't consist of fans only... There are also combs and brushes and tons of other things. 

Simple solutions don't work. Simple explanations don't work. If you are able to dive deep, the whole new world is getting exposed in front of your eyes. 

Or, let me put it another way: is John Bonham great? TO WHOM? To the people he abused, men and women? No, he wasn't great. To his wife and son? Yes. To the people all over the world that never met him? Some like him, some do not care, some don't like him. I personally hate such people as John Bonham or Jimmy Page. Replace "John Bonham" with "the USSR" and you'll get the idea, my friendEmbarrassed. Keep in mind, however, that John Bonham remains the same.

-------------

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 14:26

Not to mention regional tensions inside the westerns countries like Ireland, GB (Scotland), Spain (Basque, Catalan), France (Corsican & Bretons), Belgium (Flemish & Walloons), Netherlands (Frisians), Italy (Sardinia & Sicily, Liga of the North) etc.... 

Getting a bit off-topic but the Frisians don't belong in this list at all. There is a movement in the Dutch part of Frisia advocating for greater autonomy and cultural recognition, but there's no real Frisian independence movement, let alone "regional tensions" or any real ethnic hatred between Frisians and Hollanders.

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Date Posted: December 08 2021 at 15:22

When did you visit or live in a soviet country?
You could notice under my avatar that I'm from Russia. LOL
I lived the first half of my life "under soviets" and the second half "under westerners" (including transitional period called Perestroyka), so I can compare. Some things were better then, some now, and vise versa - some were horrible, some are horrible now. No answer to the question: what's better? It would be better to take all good from both eras and throw away all the bad, but it doesn't happen.

I have the feeling that we live in the end of Western civilisation. I see no end of the last years' madness (multiculturalism, political correctness. BLM, COVID hysteria and digital Gulag, total hypocrisy etc). What comes next? New barbarians? I hope for good, but don't believe things will be better. 

Slava, I know you hate Russian Empire. It's your right, but please tell us how Baltic countries suffered so badly from Soviet occupation, which included "technologies, industry, common organization". And how independent Baltic Tigers saved and improved these technologies and industry. Because bad tongues in Putin's land say you've lost (просрали in Russian) most of them. Are they lying?

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:03
your question is easy and difficult at the same time

As you, I've been living half of my life under Soviet regime, and the other - in free Western world. The difference is too large to be mentioned here in a few words, there are lots of books written about it, etc.

I am not sure, if you ever visited Baltics, in Soviet time and now, if yes - you wouldn't ask this question probably.

RE-Technologies, even it's just quite a specific question.

90% of unique lasers in Top-100 world's Universities laboratories are engineered and produced here in Vilnius. We are selling to Japan a lot of uique lasers as well

Our biotech researchers/laboratories invent one of the most modern pharmaceuticals which are then patented and produced in States and around Europe, incl. components for anti-Covid19 vaccines, etc

Still few yrs ago Lithuania has been covered with fastest internet in the world (98% territory), this market is very dynamic but we're still in top 10 now.

It takes up to 2 days to open a new company here, you can do everything just on-line

ETC,ETC,ETC

in this case, one of symptomatize indicator is huge community of Russian citizens, living here in Vilnius (thousands of them), and it's growing very fast. Sometimes I have some contacts with one or other member of it, them all are really different, but one common thing is they all really prefer to live here in Vilnius than in Russia - because of much higher life quality, way better services level, highest everyday culture, better medicine - just much more pleasant life in common. Non of them are economic migrants, generally them are Russian middle or upper middle class, people who has enough money to live quite well in Russia. They prefer to make money in Russia (as rule, it's easier for them, more profitable, and to be honest they can hardly use this their experience here in the West usefully), but they absolutely prefer to live outside of Russia.

Who from the civilized world would agree to live in Russia (ok, I know one guy - Mr.Snowden, but even him doesn't look happy because of that).

In modern internet world it's very easy to find lot of real information about any country, just use non-Kremlin controlled sources, you will be probably shocked how much it differs from what Mr.Putin says about us :))))

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:14

Getting a bit off-topic but the Frisians don't belong in this list at all. There is a movement in the Dutch part of Frisia advocating for greater autonomy and cultural recognition, but there's no real Frisian independence movement, let alone "regional tensions" or any real ethnic hatred between Frisians and Hollanders.

just testing if I was being read at all. Wink

Though I work in West-Friesland (between Alkmaar & Den Helder), and we don't have Mennonite or Amish villages in our area, the people's Dutch is quite hard to understand.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:16
It's just political posturing, rather than an open attempt at a land grab. 

I have friends in Kharkiv, 50km from the border, who are really not very worried about it. I've got to go there on business next year, I'm not bothered about it at all. Any military action will not involve Kharkiv but will occur further south. 

Also the Ukrainian army is much better equipped and prepared than they were in 2014. The Russians will probably meet very stiff resistance: politically, Russia can't afford a protracted campaign in Ukraine, the public will not stand for it. 

All in all, it seems a fairly stupid thing to do considering the sanctions that will accrue from it. Putin is trying to get more negotiating power with the West and is doing it by methods which are redolent of North Korea. 

All pretty pathetic and ill advised. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:18
PS Snobb is partially correct about Ukraine, but he perhaps forgets that there's a huge distinction between different areas of Ukraine. Western Ukraine is completely culturally different than Eastern Ukraine. 

I might also point out that the old USSR spanned 11 time zones and "360 different nationalities". 

Also. 

Americans like generalising about how wicked the USSR was and how the political system there was bad.

Eastern Europeans like generalising about how bad the USSR when they were part of the Soviet Union. 

Everyone compares the Soviet Union to the British Empire or contrasts it against the political system of the US - which isn't "democracy", incidentally, but more "consumerism" (and arguably plutocracy). Well. Why not compare it to the Roman empire, then ? Just as utterly pointless. 

There are other generalisations about how good / bad the USSR was (usually propaganda based but some with a factual basis). 

Everyone will throw up historical incidents to illustrate points, and whilst events like the Holodomir are still in living memory, what happened in East Germany in 1960 or Czechoslovakia in 1968 bear little bearing on the present day. You might as well bring up the battle of Borodino in 1812. "No relevance". 

There are hearsay reports on how Russians "long for the past" - having been there and spoken to the older generation, some do, some don't. The younger generation are quite different in outlook..... in some places. Go over the border to Georgia and the reverence for Stalin is just beginning to fade.

Russia is a big place, the term "Eurasian" was really coined in the 19th century as an insult to the Russian character. Part of Russia is Western, in geography and outlook, part is Eastern. I've stood at what some people consider the "border" - edge of the Volga - although others tend to look at the Ural mountains as the dividing line. Yes, you can factor in population numbers, but you can do that with any country. The outlook for Russia is Western, rather than Eastern. Power exists in Moscow and St Petersburg, not in the Kamchatka peninsula. 

"Russia has always tried to expand". Newsflash - most countries have a history of trying to expand in terms of territory. This includes the USA, and !!! Hello from England, where we used to be experts at it. War is generally economic in nature, or it was when I was doing a degree in History back in the early 90's. 

So what we get here is the standard internet argument where people present baseless opinion as knowledge (the situation is far more complicated and not black and white) which is coloured by nationality and prejudice and, in most cases, bears almost no relation to the current situation. 

Welcome to the internet. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:59
^ Very good and sensible post. Thumbs Up

I'm an individual, and unless I have to speak with my national ego, I prefer to speak to the individuals. I believe in every culture/nation, there are individuals that I can communicate well with. Oh, and unless I'm provoked, I never speak with my national ego.

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 03:08
It's the best way of doing it. ;-)

You just can't describe entire nations based on generalisations. Russia spans 11 time zones and has a population of 145 million. Historically, you can go back to probably Ivan IV (1533) if you want to dig out examples. 

Russia today is not the Russia of 1991, 1999 or even 5 years ago. It's a country in a state of change. So is Ukraine. it's not 1941 any more. I've seen Ukraine change massively over the last few years - we do a lot of business with Ukraine. Which is really - ethnically and culturally - a loose confederation of nations. 

Eastern Europe is no longer the Soviet Union, and even when it was, the different nation states which made up the FSU were totally different in character. For example, you couldn't compare East Germany with, say, Belarus. (Funny how no one's mentioned Belarus in connection with current events yet.)

I was engaged to a Russian, speak some Russian, have visited Russia and deal with Eastern Europe on a daily basis in my job. I have a degree in History as well. And I don't feel completely qualified to express an opinion on the current Ukraine / Russia conflict, as it's highly complicated.

I tend to ask my Ukrainian friends in both Eastern and Western Ukraine about it. And their opinions vary. 

It's not black and white, but it's certainly not understandable by generalisation or personal opinion / prejudice. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 03:44
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

It's the best way of doing it. ;-)

You just can't describe entire nations based on generalisations. Russia spans 11 time zones and has a population of 145 million. Historically, you can go back to probably Ivan IV (1533) if you want to dig out examples. 

Russia today is not the Russia of 1991, 1999 or even 5 years ago. It's a country in a state of change. So is Ukraine. it's not 1941 any more. I've seen Ukraine change massively over the last few years - we do a lot of business with Ukraine. Which is really - ethnically and culturally - a loose confederation of nations. 

Eastern Europe is no longer the Soviet Union, and even when it was, the different nation states which made up the FSU were totally different in character. For example, you couldn't compare East Germany with, say, Belarus. (Funny how no one's mentioned Belarus in connection with current events yet.)

I was engaged to a Russian, speak some Russian, have visited Russia and deal with Eastern Europe on a daily basis in my job. I have a degree in History as well. And I don't feel completely qualified to express an opinion on the current Ukraine / Russia conflict, as it's highly complicated.

I tend to ask my Ukrainian friends in both Eastern and Western Ukraine about it. And their opinions vary. 

It's not black and white, but it's certainly not understandable by generalisation or personal opinion / prejudice. 

One thing to add... What you'll experience in an alien culture intrinsically depends on who you are.

One of my co-worker friends stayed and worked in Iraq for years. He never said a bad thing about there and its people. Whilst, another friend of mine literally cursed there and their people. The latter annoys the hell out of me sometimes, BTW. Dead (They don't know each other.) Another example is, I stayed and worked in Midyat/Mardin/Turkey for some time. I loved there and its people. Most of them were Kurds and Arabs. A housemate of mine literally hated everything about there, and he was counting the days to "escape" there. I believe there can be given countless similar examples.

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 03:49

just testing if I was being read at all. Wink

Though I work in West-Friesland (between Alkmaar & Den Helder), and we don't have Mennonite or Amish villages in our area, the people's Dutch is quite hard to understand.

Hugues, I've been based in Den Helder for a few years around two decades ago, how didn't we met?

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 03:51
Indeed, very sensible commentaries by Davesax1965. Can't express it better. 

However, I would add that as a child in times of Perestroika and a teenager in the 1990s I have never heard anybody around me (including occasional elder companions, occasional elder bygoers, bystanders) speaking about the 1932-33 famine. The massive talks began in the 2000s. It could be a result of traumatic experience, for sure. Collective amnesia. But still, the whole Holodomor issue is utterly political. There was also a 1946-47 famine in Ukraine, hardly planned by anybody. I suppose, there was a famine-alike situation in many European countries after WW2... There were many tragic pages in our history, in the world history. After all, the 1930s were a time of Great Depression, also a famine-alike situation. 

Certainly, this is a typical internet discussion with no solution, no agreement, a no-win discussion. However, several wise sentences appear here and there in the process. 

To me, certainly three Baltic countries were occupied by the USSR. East and Central European countries were occupied by the USSR. The USSR acted as any other huge empire, they defended their borders by increasing the layer of buffer zone states. Notice that the Soviet Union had rather cold relations with Yugoslavia and Albania - because these countries did not lie on the direct way from Germany to the USSR and therefore were unuseful as the shield against possible future threat from Capitalist Germany. 

Is it legal, is it humane to use tens of millions of people as the living shield? No. Who cares? How many of us wake up every morning with a thought of sympathy towards poor Africans and Asians that do not even have clean water to drink? Not me, honestly. It's just life as it is. 

As the homeland, to me the USSR (quite like John Bonham to his children) is a rather nice cute entity. In terms of material goods, their variety and accessibility, the USSR was definitely a loser. In terms of ethereal non-material atmosphere, feelings, hints, impressions, memories, glimpses of glory, moments of deeper understanding of life/universe/everything - the USSR had a mystical quality. 

Have you known, for example, that both Victory Day (over nazis) celebrated in Russia on May 9 and the day Yuri Gagarin flew to space both happened on the third day after Orthodox Christian Easter. In 1945 it was on May 6, in 1961 - April 9. Catholics and Protestants celebrated Easter on April 1 in 1945 and on April 2 in 1961. What in the world should that mean?! Going deeper, Yuri is the native Russian variant of the name Georgy; May 6 is the Orthodox Christian feast of Saint George the Victory-Bringer, saint patron of Russia, Moscow, Georgia (homeland of Stalin, btw!) and the UK... At the time the king of the UK was George. And Berlin was taken by Soviet troops under Marshal Georgy Zhukov command. Plus to that, Marshal Ivan Konev fought the nazis in Czechoslovakia effectively helping Zhukov. Konev loosely means Horseson in Russian. Saint George went to Berlin on a Horse... Supported by George in the Britain Isles. Saint George also flew to space first. Russian George...

Not to even mention that Nikita Khrushchev, the last of the Soviet rulers that openly publicly despised Christianity, was removed from office by his atheist colleagues on the Orthodox Christian feast of The Intercession Of The Mother Of God (October 14), a very Russian feast traditionally connected to the protection of the motherland from its enemies... Accidentally?

And in North Korea they sure play the bloody fool, trying to create a cruel parody. They better become Capitalist. Their parody simply won't work. Why? Maybe, because they do not have any saint patrons... Who knows?..

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 03:56
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

One thing to add... What you'll experience in an alien culture intrinsically depends on who you are.

One of my co-worker friends stayed and worked in Iraq for years. He never said a bad thing about there and its people. Whilst, another friend of mine literally cursed there and their people. The latter annoys the hell out of me sometimes, BTW. Dead (They don't know each other.) Another example is, I stayed and worked in Midyat/Mardin/Turkey for some time. I loved there and its people. Most of them were Kurds and Arabs. A housemate of mine literally hated everything about there, and he was counting the days to "escape" there. I believe there can be given countless similar examples.

Iraq is probably too specific place, especially now, to be taken as an example of any form. I'm working with people from Iraq for last some months, having few interviews every day (face to face). Them are Iraqi Kurds, and Iraqi Yazidis and Iraqi Arabs. Each of above mentioned groups has nothing too much in common, them hardly accept they are all Iraqis at all. Each has their own problems, and their own trueth , their own vison how the world turns, and those visions are often polarly different

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 04:07
^ Thank you for sharing your observation. I presume you're right. My friends worked there many years ago. BTW, Turkey is also similar. People vary from black to white. (I'm not talking in the racial sense, hahah.)

But I believe, if you have some decency, you still can get on well with people with very different cultural backgrounds. I even went to a vegan pub in Ankara and ate a vegan burger and talked to some vegans. Lucky me, they didn't ask if I'm a vegan. Hahah. I wouldn't hide that I'm not, and they could do me some nasty things! Tongue

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 06:20

Hugues, I've been based in Den Helder for a few years around two decades ago, how didn't we met?

Well our respective profile mention Brussels & Vilnius, not Alkmaar & Den Helder Geek , so that didn't help CryLOL
(I suppose you are/were there for the NATO base?Question)

Been in Alkmaar since 2004 so I don't know if our paths would've crossed back then, though. 
Are you still around? If so, you will be my first 2022 guest at home. Hug

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 09 2021 at 06:38
nah, I've been a regular in Den Helder (and passing Alkmaar by train from Amsterdam) between 2002 and summer of 2004. Worked for Shell as sub-contractor from Den Helder heliport. Haven't been there since then though

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 03:10
Snobb, it might interest you to know that there was a large Ukrainian population in Manchester, UK some years ago. Well, generally in England. 

Most came over as a result of WW2: they were hilfswillige in the main, in other words, prisoners of war who'd been fighting on the German side. (30% of the 6th Army at Stalingrad were non German, of course.) 

With a lot of them, Ukraine had disappeared under Soviet rule and they had nowhere to go back to. I've known quite a few. Most were very prejudiced against Russians, of course (not surprising ! ) and most anti Russian sentiment came from them. 

You're right about the holodomir, rarely mentioned in Ukraine, now. But these old soldiers remembered it with a vengeance. 

People outside the Soviet Union (and even formerly inside it) have very different opinions about Russia. Even Russians have very different opinions about Russia. I've heard people from Moscow and St Petersburg say that anyone from Southern Russia is mad, or go on about chernozhopi (literally "black arses", charming) from ethnic Russia. Siberians can be very aloof as well: treating Russia as one entity is like treating Europe or the USA as being one collective whole. It isn't the case. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 03:11
PS I was in Rotterdam, 98 - 2000 as well. ;-) IT specialist at the time. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 03:18
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

Indeed, very sensible commentaries by Davesax1965. Can't express it better. 

However, I would add that as a child in times of Perestroika and a teenager in the 1990s I have never heard anybody around me (including occasional elder companions, occasional elder bygoers, bystanders) speaking about the 1932-33 famine. The massive talks began in the 2000s. It could be a result of traumatic experience, for sure. Collective amnesia. But still, the whole Holodomor issue is utterly political. There was also a 1946-47 famine in Ukraine, hardly planned by anybody. I suppose, there was a famine-alike situation in many European countries after WW2... There were many tragic pages in our history, in the world history. After all, the 1930s were a time of Great Depression, also a famine-alike situation. 

Certainly, this is a typical internet discussion with no solution, no agreement, a no-win discussion. However, several wise sentences appear here and there in the process. 

To me, certainly three Baltic countries were occupied by the USSR. East and Central European countries were occupied by the USSR. The USSR acted as any other huge empire, they defended their borders by increasing the layer of buffer zone states. Notice that the Soviet Union had rather cold relations with Yugoslavia and Albania - because these countries did not lie on the direct way from Germany to the USSR and therefore were unuseful as the shield against possible future threat from Capitalist Germany. 

Is it legal, is it humane to use tens of millions of people as the living shield? No. Who cares? How many of us wake up every morning with a thought of sympathy towards poor Africans and Asians that do not even have clean water to drink? Not me, honestly. It's just life as it is. 

As the homeland, to me the USSR (quite like John Bonham to his children) is a rather nice cute entity. In terms of material goods, their variety and accessibility, the USSR was definitely a loser. In terms of ethereal non-material atmosphere, feelings, hints, impressions, memories, glimpses of glory, moments of deeper understanding of life/universe/everything - the USSR had a mystical quality. 

Have you known, for example, that both Victory Day (over nazis) celebrated in Russia on May 9 and the day Yuri Gagarin flew to space both happened on the third day after Orthodox Christian Easter. In 1945 it was on May 6, in 1961 - April 9. Catholics and Protestants celebrated Easter on April 1 in 1945 and on April 2 in 1961. What in the world should that mean?! Going deeper, Yuri is the native Russian variant of the name Georgy; May 6 is the Orthodox Christian feast of Saint George the Victory-Bringer, saint patron of Russia, Moscow, Georgia (homeland of Stalin, btw!) and the UK... At the time the king of the UK was George. And Berlin was taken by Soviet troops under Marshal Georgy Zhukov command. Plus to that, Marshal Ivan Konev fought the nazis in Czechoslovakia effectively helping Zhukov. Konev loosely means Horseson in Russian. Saint George went to Berlin on a Horse... Supported by George in the Britain Isles. Saint George also flew to space first. Russian George...

Not to even mention that Nikita Khrushchev, the last of the Soviet rulers that openly publicly despised Christianity, was removed from office by his atheist colleagues on the Orthodox Christian feast of The Intercession Of The Mother Of God (October 14), a very Russian feast traditionally connected to the protection of the motherland from its enemies... Accidentally?

And in North Korea they sure play the bloody fool, trying to create a cruel parody. They better become Capitalist. Their parody simply won't work. Why? Maybe, because they do not have any saint patrons... Who knows?..

Just an aside. ;-)
My parents met Yuri Gagarin when he visited England - 12th of July 1961. They were both working at an engineering factory which Yuri visited and were both 10 feet away from him as he made a speech. 

My mum, who is very eccentric, said "Yuri gave her *that* look...... " - I said oh yes, Mum, I could have been Yuri Gagarin's son, if you got the chance. ;-)

Anyway, to return the favour, last time I was in Russia, I went to visit his grave in the Moscow Kremlin wall. ("Daddy !!! ") ;-) 

So this probably explains where my fascination with Russia came from. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 03:20
https://vimeo.com/108121859" rel="nofollow - https://vimeo.com/108121859

2.30 onwards.

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 04:37

PS I was in Rotterdam, 98 - 2000 as well. ;-) IT specialist at the time. ;-)

I've been working in Rotterdam in a single project in a port, summer 2002 for a few months.
Moved to Holland after few yrs in UK, Low Lands are great place to live I would say :) Just not Rotterdam, no way :O   Amsterdam is a place!

I see R'dam as Dutch Glasgow of sort   :o    :)))

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 06:57
Motivated by some things I read in this thread, I spent a lot of time last night questioning my friend Basia about life in Soviet dominated Poland in the 80s, particularly the years of strict martial law, 81 to 83.

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 08:51

Motivated by some things I read in this thread, I spent a lot of time last night questioning my friend Basia about life in Soviet dominated Poland in the 80s, particularly the years of strict martial law, 81 to 83.

An average old enough Pole undoubtedly dislike Russia, the USSR. The roots of mutual enmity are centuries deep. First of all, Poland was strictly Catholic country. Second, it was a typical Capitalist democratic western style place: its kings had constant conflicts with the noblemen, a democracy that is. Russia is Eastern Orthodox Christian since 988 AD. Also Russia used to rely on a centrified "vertical of power" with "a kind czar and his evil noblemen". 

Even nowadays in Russia Catholics are (unofficially) perceived as strange if not thoroughly alien people. For example, if Russian music video makers want to somehow laugh at the Christianity, they traditionally use characteristically Catholic clothing, interiors, Catholic three-dimensional elliptic halos around saints' heads (in Orthodox Christianity halos are drawn in two dimensions as circles like in Buddhism), Catholic rows of seats (in Russian Orthodox Christian churches there are only several benches along the walls for those who are not able to stand during the service), Catholic gothic architecture. 

You may look at this Russian music video to see a proof to my words. Its creators and the singer himself have indeed heard some bad words from various groups of Russian Christians about the video, but practically nobody on official level in Russia cared about it, and the public in general stood silent - because the church, the monks, the priest/bishop in the video are unmistakably Catholic... The singer is by the way an Orthodox Christian himself... If you're Catholic, the video will offend you. In Russia there's a law about offending the feelings of religious believers - but since the video doesn't concern directly Orthodox Christians, Muslims (who are too hot-blooded to touch them) or Judaists (who are, you know, it's the Jews' religion), nobody in Russia said an official powerful word of criticism against the creators of the video. Nobody sued them. 

Apart from that, Poland is your typical fine not-that-big cosy European country. Russia pretends to be messianic, at all possible costs - quite like the USA. I personally think of USA/Russia confrontation as the continuing contest between the West Roman Empire (USA) and East Roman Byzantine Empire (Russia). 

Given that, with all my respect and love to your friend Basia, I can easily predict what she has told you. Polish girls are terrifically beautiful. And I love Polish language, Polish culture. They are nice people. Poland and Russia are simply incompatible, they are very different in their approach. their views, their understanding of their role in the Universe. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 09:00
^ Yes, she was not too fond of Soviet occupation, but Russian people she is fine with. Her best friend here in the states is Luba who is from Russia, far Eastern Russia, beyond the Urals.
And you are correct about Polish women, definitely preferable to americans.   

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 09:03

Just an aside. ;-)
My parents met Yuri Gagarin when he visited England - 12th of July 1961. They were both working at an engineering factory which Yuri visited and were both 10 feet away from him as he made a speech. 

My mum, who is very eccentric, said "Yuri gave her *that* look...... " - I said oh yes, Mum, I could have been Yuri Gagarin's son, if you got the chance. ;-)

Anyway, to return the favour, last time I was in Russia, I went to visit his grave in the Moscow Kremlin wall. ("Daddy !!! ") ;-) 

So this probably explains where my fascination with Russia came from. ;-)

Russia is definitely like John Bonham, again. You either like her with all her drunken tricks or not. Both attitudes have equal rights to exist and be shared and discussed. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2021 at 09:18
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

An average old enough Pole undoubtedly dislike Russia, the USSR. The roots of mutual enmity are centuries deep. First of all, Poland was strictly Catholic country. Second, it was a typical Capitalist democratic western style place: its kings had constant conflicts with the noblemen, a democracy that is. Russia is Eastern Orthodox Christian since 988 AD. Also Russia used to rely on a centrified "vertical of power" with "a kind czar and his evil noblemen". 

Yet one shouldn't generalise too much... I have a very good Latvian friend, one Polish, and another from Czech Republic. They're all dead against Soviet rule (and none of them is orthodox, two atheist one catholic, guess who Wink) but have a big love for Russian culture, literature, music.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk