Your positive experiences with lyrics?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130769
Printed Date: May 24 2024 at 11:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your positive experiences with lyrics?
Posted By: David_D
Subject: Your positive experiences with lyrics?
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 04:59

Lyrics can be experienced to be good in different ways, like poetic, informing, funny, socially-engaged or
maybe even culture and society changing.

Edit: Lyrics can also be very positively influential on the way all the sonic parts of the music are experienced.

How do you find lyrics to be good?

And I hope, you'll enjoy it! Smile

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 06:01
I nwould say profound and meaningfull, like "the lyrics in The Moody Blues' "A Question of Balance."

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 09:44
I enjoy the lyrics of the following.

Rush
Echolyn
Kansas
Bubblemath
Some Zappa
Weird Al
XTC
Elvis Costello
Joe Jackson

I'm sure I missed a few.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 10:44
Being in English helps !

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 11:31
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

More often than not when it's in a language I don't understand.

But I often love Joni Mitchells lyrics and storytelling. Like in Coyote... Rainy Night House... Carey... Free Man in Paris. Kind of straight forward yet very poetic and sophistcated. And her arrangements always seem to match every word sung. Yes, that's when I really love good lyrics.

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 11:42
They got me a good grade for English at high-school where I used the lyrics of Harold Land by Yes and Forgotten Sons by Marillion as examples of contemporary poetry...

Otherwise, I don't have a recipe for what makes lyrics good; I can like silly lyrics, very poetic lyrics, committed lyrics, etc. as long as they're well written, but I don't know what "well written" is about... Ermm

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 11:56
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Being in English helps !

Not for everybody, and I wouldn't say, there's much to complain about. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 13:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

More often than not when it's in a language I don't understand.

But I often love Joni Mitchells lyrics and storytelling. Like in Coyote... Rainy Night House... Carey... Free Man in Paris. Kind of straight forward yet very poetic and sophistcated. And her arrangements always seem to match every word sung. Yes, that's when I really love good lyrics.

I have to say, Rollon, that I like your posts quite a lot, mostly being informative, interesting and enjoyable. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 12 2023 at 21:33
Prog lyrics have been fundamentally life-changing for me! 

At university (Univ of Illinois, 1973-77) I had intended to pursue medicine.  However, at this time, the USA was in turmoil from the Viet Nam war, and the deteriorating environment made headlines nightly.  It was very depressing. 

Jon Anderson's lyrics changed me and inspired me to pursue a path towards political peace and environmental justice! 

Getting over overhanging trees, let them rape the forest

Thoughts would send our fusion

Clearly to be home

Getting over wars we do not mean or so it seems so clearly

Sheltered with our passion

Clearly to be home

I thought "I'll be damned if I'll stand by and let them rape the forests!"   Therefore, I changed academic direction and subsequently became an award-winning environmental scientist.  

I told this story to Jon Anderson after a concert in Chicago (35th Anniversary Tour, May 4th, 2004) and he gave me a wonderful, sweet smile! Heart

This is my present consultancy.... http://www.neochloris.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.neochloris.com

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 04:38
Recently the lyrics on DSOTM have heavily resonated with me, especially the first few lines of Breathe but also Time and Us and Them. I have to now accept that is a bloody masterpiece even if good ole Rog is not quite with it anymore.

Posted By: Starjet
Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 05:12
Lyrics that make me think and smile at the same time...for me the master of this was Geoff Mann.

Otherwise lyrics that make me smile, chuckle, chortle or laugh out loud; as as longtime UK expat, the lyrics of Half Man Half Biscuit do this and are at the same time a goldmine of cultural information about my homeland.
To some extent also goes for Jethro Tull, Strawbs, The Damned, Ian Dury (and the Blockheads) et al.

On the other hand I get irritated by obscure and arty-farty words from the likes of Fish ("Fugazi", the song, for example) or Jon Anderson.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 06:39
Hi,

I do not look at "lyrics" any different than I do any poem, or literature ... the "idea" is the same, even if the medium is slightly different.

The only thing that bothers me, is someone being "clever" and thinking themselves a good lyricist, which he/she might be for that song, or band, but in general, really poor on its own ... and the truth of the words is them standing up on their own without the music ... you still have the inner visions from it, which is something I like to joke that rock fans lack, which is why they have to be "told" the story!

The problem is that the "story" can be a lie, and thus not meaningful, even if the singer makes it look important, but in the end ... you're getting fooled ... again and again, and if I may say so, many of us, at times myself included, still don't know we're getting fooled! And the many thoughts and comments here, at time for me, really confuse matters even worse.

The so-called "arty-farty" words, is simply a comment for a person that is not sure what it all means ... Fish, for example, has been downright serious and on topic all his life in the lyrics he comes up with and sings ... so considering him that is weird, when he is simply more educated than the majority of rock singers out there that know nothing but the beat and a song! We might as well call Shakespeare "arty-farty" because half the time we have no idea what he is on about, specially when he is being downright bawdy, which was his way of making sure the audience stayed with the play!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 06:56
I tend to like socially-engaging lyrics (like Lennon's Working Class Hero) best  and putting some spite and irony into singing those lyrics help out a bit. 

Floyd/Waters lyrics have certainly had an impact or influence on me (either in everyday life or philosophy), as did early Jethro Tull (Aqualung and especially TAAB). Some early Genesis, Caravan, VdGG, Rush tracks' lyrics have also had a slight impact on me. (Marillion's Script is also a biggie, but that's about it in that area)

In the French realm, Jacques Brel and Noir Désir have had +/- the same type of (relatively heavy) impact on me. The slam of Grand Corps Malade certainly invite me to have thoughts about what he says. 
In general, it's somewhat quite harder for me to ignore French lyrics, so I'm harsher and more demanding when it come to francophone texts, but have found a higher appreciation in that area. I would even risk a generality in saying that on the average, French lyrics are generally of better quality than other neighboring languages. 

==============

There is also another category of lyrics that I tend to listen to are those visually-arresting (if that makes sense)Wacko, being either funny  (the Dog, The Dog, he's at it again), poetic (maybe not that much in Jon's way), or simply a good storyline (Child In Time). Claude Nougaro's lyrics can be profound and finny at the same time. 

Of course, successive lyrics in a concept album enter this second category (like Gong's RGI trilogy), as long as I dig the concept's subject. 

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 07:12
Some key points missed in the opening question:

=========================================
Lyrics can be experienced to be good in different ways, like poetic, informing, funny, socially-engaged or
even culture and society changing.

How do you find lyrics to be good?

Enjoy it! Smile
=====================================================
The call was for subjective experiences, feelings and opinions.

End of.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I do not look at "lyrics" any different than I do any poem, or literature ... the "idea" is the same, even if the medium is slightly different.

The only thing that bothers me, is someone being "clever" and thinking themselves a good lyricist, which he/she might be for that song, or band, but in general, really poor on its own ... and the truth of the words is them standing up on their own without the music ... you still have the inner visions from it, which is something I like to joke that rock fans lack, which is why they have to be "told" the story!

The problem is that the "story" can be a lie, and thus not meaningful, even if the singer makes it look important, but in the end ... you're getting fooled ... again and again, and if I may say so, many of us, at times myself included, still don't know we're getting fooled! And the many thoughts and comments here, at time for me, really confuse matters even worse.

The so-called "arty-farty" words, is simply a comment for a person that is not sure what it all means ... Fish, for example, has been downright serious and on topic all his life in the lyrics he comes up with and sings ... so considering him that is weird, when he is simply more educated than the majority of rock singers out there that know nothing but the beat and a song! We might as well call Shakespeare "arty-farty" because half the time we have no idea what he is on about, specially when he is being downright bawdy, which was his way of making sure the audience stayed with the play!

Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 13:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I would even risk a generality in saying that on the average, French lyrics are generally of better quality than other neighboring languages. 

Interesting. I'd also say that Polish pre-1989 lyrics can be very good and suprisingly system-critical.

There is also another category of lyrics that I tend to listen to are those visually-arresting (if that makes sense)Wacko, being either funny  (the Dog, The Dog, he's at it again), poetic (maybe not that much in Jon's way), or simply a good storyline (Child In Time). Claude Nougaro's lyrics can be profound and finny at the same time. 

I love Child in Time lyrics quite a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2023 at 15:03
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Prog lyrics have been fundamentally life-changing for me! 

At university (Univ of Illinois, 1973-77) I had intended to pursue medicine.  However, at this time, the USA was in turmoil from the Viet Nam war, and the deteriorating environment made headlines nightly.  It was very depressing. 

Jon Anderson's lyrics changed me and inspired me to pursue a path towards political peace and environmental justice! 

Getting over overhanging trees, let them rape the forest

Thoughts would send our fusion

Clearly to be home

Getting over wars we do not mean or so it seems so clearly

Sheltered with our passion

Clearly to be home

I thought "I'll be damned if I'll stand by and let them rape the forests!"   Therefore, I changed academic direction and subsequently became an award-winning environmental scientist.  

I told this story to Jon Anderson after a concert in Chicago (35th Anniversary Tour, May 4th, 2004) and he gave me a wonderful, sweet smile! Heart

This is my present consultancy.... http://www.neochloris.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.neochloris.com   Thumbs Up

Quite amazing life-changing experience with lyrics which can happen in some extraordinary circumstances. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 03:43
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

In the French realm, Jacques Brel and Noir Désir have had +/- the same type of (relatively heavy) impact on me. The slam of Grand Corps Malade certainly invite me to have thoughts about what he says. 
In general, it's somewhat quite harder for me to ignore French lyrics, so I'm harsher and more demanding when it come to francophone texts, but have found a higher appreciation in that area. I would even risk a generality in saying that on the average, French lyrics are generally of better quality than other neighboring languages. 

Hi,

A lot of this was what brought me to ANGE really early on ... the atmospheric, the poetic, and the nature of the singing was not about the song ... it was about the story and its content. To me, being Portuguese (still!), this makes sense within the Latin languages, although I have not felt quite the same about Spanish or Portuguese music at all ... Italian is a bit different, at least in how it is done ... for example ... Banco was incredible, but the singer made it happen, with his poetic and operatic voice. Le Orme, was really nice, and soft, and very clean in their lyrics, despite some ... we might consider not very good translations. PFM was really great in the early days, until all of a sudden the "story" was killed, for a song, and that was the end of them for me.

Then, you look at a Peter Hammill, and even a Kate Bush, and the individuality is about the emotion and the expression, many times as theatrical as is possible, which to me is similar to the early ANGE (in a weird sort of way), but it becomes something that most people don't like in rock music ... too much individuality and no one understands anything seems to be the problem.

But the history of the arts, like it or not, has been about the individuality, so I'm always wondering why a song without individuality, or some of the women you hear on the radio these days that have the voice and know the notes and have no soul behind it whatsoever. Heck, the kitchen and bath scenarios are usually better than that!

I'm not sure that "lyrics" are the important thing ... you can take Shakespeare and smash it senseless and no one will get anything, just like you can channel Ian and make it awful. People don't like Jon, because they dislike the idea, the concept and the philosophy which is so far and away from western bullsh*t! Reminds me of Ginsberg ... reading his stuff never got through but one day, in a silly movie about so much crap, he reads his own poem and the words have a very strong life ... same thing for Burroughs ... it's better heard, not read! (we keep looking for meanings and can't find them and it distracts us away from the "lyrics")

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 05:16
Originally posted by Starjet Starjet wrote:

On the other hand I get irritated by obscure and arty-farty words from the likes of Fish ("Fugazi", the song, for example) or Jon Anderson.

While concerning Fish, I can tell that I like a lot the lyrics of Script for a Jester's Tear, and not least on "He Knows, You Know", "Chelsea Monday" and "Forgotten Sons".

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 05:25

"arty-farty"? That's harsh TBH, especially applied to Fish's lyrics. I disagree. 
Jon Anderson's lyrics? In Yes, maybe, but it's never bothered me. I don't like his solo work, so I don't care there TBH. 

Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

A lot of this was what brought me to ANGE really early on ... the atmospheric, the poetic, and the nature of the singing was not about the song ... it was about the story and its content. To me, being Portuguese (still!), this makes sense within the Latin languages, although I have not felt quite the same about Spanish or Portuguese music at all ... Italian is a bit different, at least in how it is done ... for example ... Banco was incredible, but the singer made it happen, with his poetic and operatic voice. Le Orme, was really nice, and soft, and very clean in their lyrics, despite some ... we might consider not very good translations. PFM was really great in the early days, until all of a sudden the "story" was killed, for a song, and that was the end of them for me.

Then, you look at a Peter Hammill, and even a Kate Bush, and the individuality is about the emotion and the expression, many times as theatrical as is possible, which to me is similar to the early ANGE (in a weird sort of way), but it becomes something that most people don't like in rock music ... too much individuality and no one understands anything seems to be the problem.

indeed interesting, Mosh

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 06:29
I always feel very positive after listening to the strangely-uplifting "Suicide" by Barclay James Harvest, which includes the lyric, "Took the club elevator to the floor with a view, I stepped out on the guard rail, Saw the crowds slowly part, Heard a voice shouting, "Don't jump, please for God's sake let me move my car!"" LOL

Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 07:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

"arty-farty"? That's harsh TBH, especially applied to Fish's lyrics. I disagree. 
Jon Anderson's lyrics? In Yes, maybe, but it's never bothered me. I don't like his solo work, so I don't care there TBH. 

I would like to take back what I said about Fish and JA; I over-generalized my feelings about their lyrics and didn't stop to think before posting.
Although both writers have words that make me cringe ("Fugazi" and "Close To The Edge" to name one from each), both have lyrics that move me, that I sing along to, or relate to (the whole of Misplaced Childhood from Fish or "Turn Of The Century" from JA).

Apologies to both songsmiths and offended progsters on here.

Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 09:00

I don't understand your point of view, Paul, but okay, you made your choice.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 09:22
Some lyrics, can work well in the song, like working with the groove and setting tonal sound while looking silly or nonsensical on paper. I like Magma's lyrics often when though I have quite limited Kobaian. It's about the sound and rhythm, how it helps with the textures. And I listen to a lot of songs in languages that I don't understand or don't speak well (Japanese and French). In English, the folk music writers often create a kind of musical poetry that resonates with me. Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song" is one of my favourites for lyrics. It is whimsical and plaintive and touches me. David Bowie is a favourite of mine, from the delicious absurdity of "Life on Mars" to the heartfelt lyrics on Blackstar (Blackstar is my favourite of his). Most of my favourite lyrics are not in prog per se, maybe related, but in kinds of folk, and art rock/art pop. There is plenty of Canterbury Scene music where I like the lyrics. Those lyrics that I can somehow identify with, and I an introvert, so often like more introverted, sensitive and subdued lyrics, often appeal to me, whereas ones that come from a very different mindset/ personality type are less likely to appeal (such as party party and yahoo insensitive lyrics unless for humour). That said, there is much less subdued lyrics and form of vocal expression that I do enjoy, but I have to feel some sense of shared identity with the singer usually to enjoy the lyrics. It's hard to explain well and not consistent. My appreciation commonly comes from a place of empathy and perceived identity... to connect with me and become personal to me.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 09:34
I really get into the internal rhymes and the SOUND of the lyrics. I also respond to great lines. 

"The carpet crawlers heed their callers." - all the c, r, and a sounds and flow makes me happy
"You got to get in to get out." - just a great one liner

--from one of the most lyrically brilliant songs in prog IMO.

"I know what I like and I like what I know." - another great one liner

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: April 14 2023 at 15:20

Quite amazing life-changing experience with lyrics which can happen in some extraordinary circumstances.

Thanks, David!  Back in the stone ages, prog rockers wrote a lot of material with a strong apocalyptic undertone.  I think they were expressing their feelings about Viet Nam and the deteriorating environment through their music. 

Examples include "Epitaph" by King Crimson (Viet Nam), "Children of the Universe" by Flash (environment), etc. 

I discovered this music at a young and formative age, and it definitely inspired me to pursue a path that would address the world's problems.  I discussed this with Ray Bennett, bassist of Flash, at length in an email exchange.  

Recently, I discussed climate change with Sir Brian May, PhD, and we had a fun back & forth!  We were both unaware of certain aspects of climate change that the other knew about.  Bri referred me to this paper: 

"An improved model for the infrared emission from the zodiacal dust cloud: cometary, asteroidal and interstellar dust,"

M. Rowan-Robinsonand B. May

Astrophysics Group, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2AZ

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 01:27

Thanks, David!  Back in the stone ages, prog rockers wrote a lot of material with a strong apocalyptic undertone.  I think they were expressing their feelings about Viet Nam and the deteriorating environment through their music. 

Examples include "Epitaph" by King Crimson (Viet Nam), "Children of the Universe" by Flash (environment), etc. 

Hi,

I imagine that "Epitath" is more online with the days of the IRA and the bombs, when your friends would more than likely be involved, than the Americans in Vietnam. It's one of the reasons why ITCOTCK is such an important snapshot of the late 60's and that time in London ... and Idi Amin is quite present in the 20th Century Schizoid man ... but we can't see that now, we age has blinded us a long time ago ... we now think lyrics are literature, not even a short story, or one act play anymore ... bigger than literature altogether, I suppose because many of us refuse to compare and find that ... yeah! I like Ian, and Jon, and all of them ... but T. S. Elliot they aren't and we go around like the women thinking of Michelangelo!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 08:07
^ The line "Innocents raped with napalm fire" in "21st Century Schizoid Man" is a direct reference to the Vietnam War, a conflict that was very current, almost omnipresent, during the era when the song was composed in 1969. Idi Amin did not come to power in Uganda until a coup in 1971, so there would be absolutely no reference to him in the song. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 08:46

If anybody would like to share some of their fave lyrics with others, there's good possibility for it in this thread 

https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129673" rel="nofollow - Poetic Pieces for the Mind and Spirit

but I should maybe mention that only excerpts of lyrics are allowed to be quoted on the PA forum. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 13:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ The line "Innocents raped with napalm fire" in "21st Century Schizoid Man" is a direct reference to the Vietnam War, a conflict that was very current, almost omnipresent, during the era when the song was composed in 1969. Idi Amin did not come to power in Uganda until a coup in 1971, so there would be absolutely no reference to him in the song. 

Thank you, great contribution!  From "Epitaph" - 

The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams
Upon the instruments of death
The sunlight brightly gleams

I suppose Robert & Co. could have been singing about the cold war with the Soviet Union, or any other of a number of conflicts.  I never considered the "Irish Troubles" to involve instruments of death with sunlight gleaming on them, they were more into clandestine bombs.  

This is a bit of insight:   https://www.songfacts.com/facts/king-crimson/epitaph" rel="nofollow - https://www.songfacts.com/facts/king-crimson/epitaph

In any event, I took on THEIR British anxieties as a young American lad, who had his OWN anxieties!  The result was life-changing inspiration.  

Ray Bennett (bassist for Flash) once told me that musicians never heard from their fans how their music impacted them, and he was very happy to learn that I took such a positive message from Flash!  

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 14:13
Usually, I ignore lyrics unless they're too prominent to be ignored. An exception is Peter Hammill whose lyrics in VdGG and solo I enjoy for a variety of reasons. A while ago, I wrote a list of favourite VdGG lyrics:

"I was thinking about thinking but it really didn't get me very far."

"I run because I don't know where the prison lies."

"You'll begin to wonder if the points of all the ancients myths are solemnly directed straight at you."

"Ghosts betray you, ghosts betray you, in the night they steal your eye from its socket and the ball hangs fallen on your cheek."

"It's far too late to turn, unless it's to stone."

"Alone, he opens to the world... but it's much too late. He's been left, in the end, without a face."

"She's into lizards, she's into snakes, he's into trauma - still got the shakes from a lady who only talked dogs and cats making love in the alley - she thought like that."

"Living, if you claim that all that entails is breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping, sinking ever down and down and ultimately passing away time which no longer has any meaning."

From his solo work:

"I'm just a passenger passing through, I'm just an average chap. (We're all normal)"

"They got bacteria to drop us where we stand, they got diseases still unknown to man, they got the virus and a microgram's enough to do in a continent."

"The current affair gets to be all our business, it's filtered in through the T.V. screen. The norm, the average... what is this, when it goes blank what does that all mean?"

"Oh, we're left with a black-and-white movie, a positional state of affairs, an obsessional interest in moving just to prove that we're there, sitting targets in the car."

"No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man."

"The diagram is so confusing, anagrammatical the mystery. I wake myself up, shake myself up, break myself apart and find in me the esoteric machinery, the esoteric invisibly."

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 15:24

Thank you, great contribution!  From "Epitaph" - 

Is cracking at the seams

I suppose Robert & Co. could have been singing about the cold war with the Soviet Union, or any other of a number of conflicts.  I never considered the "Irish Troubles" to involve instruments of death with sunlight gleaming on them, they were more into clandestine bombs.  

This is a bit of insight:   https://www.songfacts.com/facts/king-crimson/epitaph" rel="nofollow - https://www.songfacts.com/facts/king-crimson/epitaph

In any event, I took on THEIR British anxieties as a young American lad, who had his OWN anxieties!  The result was life-changing inspiration.  

Ray Bennett (bassist for Flash) once told me that musicians never heard from their fans how their music impacted them, and he was very happy to learn that I took such a positive message from Flash!  
Thanks, Charles.

I think the idea of Vietnam, along with the Cold War in general (as China and the Soviet Union were both involved in Indochina), weighed just as heavily on Brit musicians as it did Americans.

I cited King Crimson's mention of napalm as a direct nod to Vietnam, and in less than a year those blokes from Birmingham Black Sabbath echoed the anxiety on the album Paranoid, including the direct reference:

First it was the bomb
Vietnam napalm
Disillusioning
You push the needle in

So, I would say "Epitaph" is more of a dark generalized reflection of the world at the time, encompassing Vietnam, the Troubles, the Cold War, etc. without picking out one specifically. But you're right about the line 

Which conjures war, bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky, generals gathered in their masses, etc., rather than street violence and petrol bombs indicative of the Irish Troubles.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 15:33

From "Epitaph" - 

Is cracking at the seams

great lyrics from ItCotCK

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 15:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Usually, I ignore lyrics unless they're too prominent to be ignored. An exception is Peter Hammill whose lyrics in VdGG and solo I enjoy for a variety of reasons.

Can you tell a bit about those reasons?

-------------

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 16:33
There are certain lines that grab me, even if I wasn't paying much atention, and then I cannot stop following the story. For example:

Ghosts betray you, ghosts betray you

The rusted chains of prison moons are shattered by the sun

Can you tell me where my country lies.

I think the reason for such attraction is that it never occurred to me (before hearing these propositions) that ghosts could betray, or moons have chains, or that a country could lie anywhere (and with the Queen of Maybe!). Metaphors, amazing stuff.

Date Posted: April 15 2023 at 17:06

Which conjures war, bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky, generals gathered in their masses, etc., rather than street violence and petrol bombs indicative of the Irish Troubles.

Right!  Sting also took on the Russians and Ronald Reagan in his brilliant song "Russians!"  

I was commuting/living in the UK back in the early/mid 1990s, and was sitting in a 747 at Heathrow, waiting to take off....suddenly, a bunch of British SAS soldiers came on board with dogs, small machine pistols etc. and went from row to row, looking intently!  

I was told it was due to the Irish Republican Army, who were lobbing mortar shells at Heathrow or some-such! 

Very terrifying stuff, and Europe still had plenty of terrorism to fear from what I read. 

Americans tend to make our own terrorists, and we give them all the guns they want.  Madness.

Peace, brother! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2023 at 21:44

Usually, I ignore lyrics unless they're too prominent to be ignored. An exception is Peter Hammill whose lyrics in VdGG and solo I enjoy for a variety of reasons.

Can you tell a bit about those reasons?

"I was thinking about thinking but it really didn't get me very far."

I love the self-referential nature of this lyric.

"I run because I don't know where the prison lies."

If you don't know where you are likely to be entrapped, then it's probably best not to stay at any one place for too long.

"You'll begin to wonder if the points of all the ancients myths are solemnly directed straight at you."

This is a genius lyric for a 22-year-old.

"Ghosts betray you, ghosts betray you, in the night they steal your eye from its socket and the ball hangs fallen on your cheek."

What gruesome imagery.

"It's far too late to turn, unless it's to stone."

This is a clever change in the meaning of "turn". It's never too late to turn to stone, especially on the battlefield.

"Alone, he opens to the world... but it's much too late. He's been left, in the end, without a face."

At the start of the song, Peter describes a man who "hides behind a mask behind a mask". In the end, after spending so much time behind the masks, he has lost his true face.

"She's into lizards, she's into snakes, he's into trauma - still got the shakes from a lady who only talked dogs and cats making love in the alley - she thought like that."

I would love to meet this lady.

"Living, if you claim that all that entails is breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping, sinking ever down and down and ultimately passing away time which no longer has any meaning."

This is plain and simply a great lyric. And time would not have any meaning to an immortal.

"I'm just a passenger passing through, I'm just an average chap. (We're all normal)"

It is the "(We're all normal)" that I love. A theme that is mentioned at various places throughout the album "pH7" (the title itself referring to neutrality) is that of normality and the average. But the lyric "we're all normal" sounds like it is being said by a group of zombies. It is an attack on the notion of conformity.

"They got bacteria to drop us where we stand, they got diseases still unknown to man, they got the virus and a microgram's enough to do in a continent."

What a dangerous world we are living in, where scientists are playing around with this sort of stuff.

"The current affair gets to be all our business, it's filtered in through the T.V. screen. The norm, the average... what is this, when it goes blank what does that all mean?"

For the most part, we only get to see what our masters allow us to see. But what does it mean when it all goes blank? Also, at the start of the song, Peter says that the current affair is his business, but here later in the song, he says it's everyone's business. And again, we see the mention of "the norm, the average".

"Oh, we're left with a black-and-white movie, a positional state of affairs, an obsessional interest in moving just to prove that we're there, sitting targets in the car."

This is an interesting way to describe something as commonplace as driving. Watching the road is a "black-and-white movie", and road signs are often "a positional state of affairs". I think "an obsessional interest in moving just to prove that we're there" is a challenge to the desire for travel, "sitting targets in the car" points to the dangers of driving, in particular from other drivers.

"No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man."

This is my current signature below. The song "Stranger Still" seems to be speaking to me personally, particularly when I was younger.

"And nuclear power is safe as hell. Swallow hard, young William Tell. The earth is flat and pigs can fly. If you swallow hard you'll believe the lies."

Yeah, nuclear power is as safe as hell.

"The diagram is so confusing, anagrammatical the mystery. I wake myself up, shake myself up, break myself apart and find in me the esoteric machinery, the esoteric invisibly."

I love the way this lyric is sung. Also, I'm quite fond of the word "esoteric". The song complains about how the world is becoming ever more complicated.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: April 16 2023 at 21:59
I personally don't really care that much about the lyrics, unless they're really well written. Peter Nicholls and Cyrus (Citizen Cain) are my favorite lyricists in prog. What I really love about their lyrics is the complexity and well thought-out rhymes.

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 17 2023 at 03:41

I discovered this music at a young and formative age, and it definitely inspired me to pursue a path that would address the world's problems.  I discussed this with Ray Bennett, bassist of Flash, at length in an email exchange.  

Recently, I discussed climate change with Sir Brian May, PhD, and we had a fun back & forth!  We were both unaware of certain aspects of climate change that the other knew about.  Bri referred me to this paper: 

"An improved model for the infrared emission from the zodiacal dust cloud: cometary, asteroidal and interstellar dust,"

M. Rowan-Robinsonand B. May

Astrophysics Group, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2AZ

Michael Rowan-Robinson was one of Brian May's co-supervisors for his Ph.D. thesis. Way back in the day I read Rowan-Robinson's The Cosmological Distance Ladder for one of my astro classes in college. That's cool that you got to talk with Brian about science. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: April 17 2023 at 05:55

Due to some technical matter, some posts have been deleted, so here's a new one from me as a compensation for
a couple of mine:

Lyrics can be very positively influential on the way I experience all the sonic parts of the music which I've very clearly 
noticed with not least VdGG's "Killer".

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2023 at 12:08

So, some lyrics give you a lot to think about, Prophesy, and especially Peter Hammill's. Some of his lyrics may also very well 
be those I'm most fond of myself.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 05:08

So, some lyrics give you a lot to think about, Prophesy, and especially Peter Hammill's. Some of his lyrics may also very well be those I'm most fond of myself.

There is one other Peter Hammill (VdGG) lyric that I should mention:

"I prophesy disaster and then I count the cost... I shine but, shining, dying, I know that I am almost lost."

This lyric comes from "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers". Before the phrase "I prophesy disaster" became my username, it was the name of a VdGG compilation album I had. This compilation album was one of the first CDs I purchased during the '90s, and my second VdGG CD (after "H to He, Who am the Only One", which I purchased because I had worn out my LP). At this stage, I had most VdGG albums on vinyl, but did not have "The Aerosol Grey Machine" or "Vital", and "I Prophesy Disaster" had a number of tracks I didn't already have. I eventually got "The Aerosol Grey Machine" and "Vital", but "I Prophesy Disaster" was a good album to have while my VdGG collection was incomplete. It could be said that my username came from the name of the compilation album more so than from the lyric in "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers". Even so, that lyric from "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" was considered significant enough to name a compilation album after it, and I agree.

-------------

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 06:11
I agree with grumpyprogfan with Rush and Kansas offering some good perspectives and motivation. Working two jobs and busting my ass these days, Ronnie James Dio never misses, Man On The Silver Mountain has been my theme song as of late. Totally outside the realm of prog. I think Death has some really cool messages in their music. All Things Must Pass has some really positive messages that can relax and recenter a difficult day.

The Wall by Kansas start to finish is a great frame of reference for me. And honestly, not prime Kansas but I think of the line from Hold On often, "Hold on, cause it's closer than you think, and you're standing on the brink. Hold on- cause there's something on the way, your tomorrows not the same as today.

And honestly, many of my favorite Rush lyrics come from the 80s Grace/Power Windows era. Even though much of it is on the nose cheese, I love Marathon, Manhattan Project, Grand Designs and the likes

I think most of all, the song Think of Me With Kindness by Gentle Giant has had one of the most profound lyrical impacts of me. The perfect song to mark the end of a relationship that just didn't work out, or the growing apart/parting of an old friend. I Think of You by Renaissance is a good sort of contrast to this.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 08:28

So, some lyrics give you a lot to think about, Prophesy, and especially Peter Hammill's. Some of his lyrics may also very well 
be those I'm most fond of myself.

But I have also to say that I like much lyrics from a lot of other artists, and that can be for different reasons, and always 
together with the specific sonic parts of the music.

-------------

Posted By: AJ Junior
Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 11:43
I have to fully agree with this take. After doing a full song analysis on 'Time' I was re-introduced to the weight of this LP. The lyrics on this album completely changed my world view at the time and I have never been the same since. It's really sad to see possibly the greatest progers of the past like Roger and David in such turmoil. 

Posted By: AJ Junior
Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 11:50
I've seen a lot of great picks on this thread, and my top lyricists and band lyrics would probably be Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Rush, Kansas, and definitely Steely Dan. Each of these bands has a different lyrical style with some being more closely related to each other. Rush and Kansas typically tend to appeal to the taste of the common man and rock much harder while a band like Supertramp can deliver deep conceptual lyrics with softer instruments like the fender Rhodes and Wurlitzer along with Hogson's melancholy voice. My personal favorite type of lyrics though is the pessimistic styles of PF and Steely Dan (the latter of which probably being my all time favorite lyrical band). The lyrics of all of these bands truly changed me as a person. 

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 13:38
^Steely Dan for sure. Excerpt from "Deacon Blues"

"This is the night of the expanding man
I take one last drag as I approach the stand
I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be"

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: April 18 2023 at 23:18
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I think most of all, the song Think of Me With Kindness by Gentle Giant has had one of the most profound lyrical impacts of me. The perfect song to mark the end of a relationship that just didn't work out, or the growing apart/parting of an old friend. I Think of You by Renaissance is a good sort of contrast to this.
I can relate to this last part A LOT. When lyrics actually started to mean something to me in college, this song (as well as The Song Is Over by The Who) opened to the door to that realization. 

Also, good to see you on the fora again Doug! I missed your input. I see those jobs be keepin ya busy.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 19 2023 at 07:31
The guy who was one of the best lyricists ever is unfortunately Italian. I mean Fabrizio De Andre'. In the same legacy I'd put Leonard Cohen

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: DangHeck
Date Posted: April 23 2023 at 11:57
Most recently, I finally listened to Hellfire by Black Midi, released last year, and I think that Geordie Greep's insane monologuing is just getting more and more interesting. I like abstract imagery for sure, whether it's from the esoteric or the psychedelic, it doesn't matter all that much to me.

In another way, I am charmed by inuendo, like with classic Psych Rock being about getting blasted on psychedelics (and weed), so that's always fun.

I lastly thought about more specifically tongue-in-cheek lyrics, like the pissy content of AWATS by Todd Rundgren. So, whether it's really rich lyrical content, painting a picture, or silly, snide lyrics, I'll take it gladly.

Posted By: DangHeck
Date Posted: April 23 2023 at 11:59
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Steely Dan for sure. Excerpt from "Deacon Blues"

"This is the night of the expanding man
I take one last drag as I approach the stand
I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be"

This has definitely caused a chill, time to time. Smile

Date Posted: April 23 2023 at 14:34
I would say Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel are exceptional lyricists, probably two of the most literate songsmiths in the prog canon.  

-------------

Posted By: yes-no-and-why
Date Posted: May 30 2023 at 01:33
Still by Peter Sinfield. I remember reading an interview with him in which the interviewer mentioned that there seemed to be some "digs at Fripp" nestled in the lyrics, and that Great Deceiver may have been a "tit-for-tat."

Interviewer clearly was not familiar with the status of Crimson's lyrical duties in 1973.

Anyway, when I finally listened to Still, I was on high alert for said digs at Fripp, and found quite a treasure trove of them in Envelopes of Yesterday:

"To eat, it seems, I needed you for crumbs your need was me"

I am unsure where in this sentence Sinfield intended to put the comma, but it's a wonderful double meaning ("I needed you for crumbs, your need was me" versus "I needed you, for crumbs your need was me" -- which one of them needed the crumbs?) with a bit of meaningful imagery thrown in there, crumbs being small amounts of bread, and bread being money -- very Sinfieldian (does anyone say that other than me? LOL)

"We cheered and passed the sanguine flask till the ice man made me see"

Sanguine: a shade of red, and an adjective meaning confident or hopeful. Ice man? Sounds like Fripp.

"Don't blame me if my smoke and steam obscured your rutted track,
I only meant to startle you not offer you my back
To ride upon and overload with your jars of unbaked clay.
You can find your guide to the pulpit ride
in the dreary envelopes of yesterday."

Whether this is talking about Fripp or not, it's a fine example of Sinfield: King of the Circuitous and Metaphor-Strewn Insult! Big smile

Envelopes of Yesterday also has a line about boobs (which Sinfield manages to also make a metaphor), a line which I will invariably forget about while trying to introduce Sinfield-solo to mixed company... Confused

Date Posted: May 30 2023 at 04:52

Nice post, yes-no-and-why, and my welcome to you on the PA forum. Smile 

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 30 2023 at 05:04
"Lose your mind responsibly" LOL

Date Posted: May 30 2023 at 06:01

So, some lyrics give you a lot to think about, Prophesy, and especially Peter Hammill's. Some of his lyrics may also very well be those I'm most fond of myself.

There is one other Peter Hammill (VdGG) lyric that I should mention:

"I prophesy disaster and then I count the cost... I shine but, shining, dying, I know that I am almost lost."

Hi,

... where do the actors go, after the show? ...

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Magog2112
Date Posted: July 04 2023 at 20:47
Music in of itself can move me, and poetry can move me, but when the two are combined in a cohesive way, it can move me to tears. One of my main issues with some of Yes' music is that I have a hard time understanding and interpreting the lyrics, to the point where it almost feels arbitrary. Sometimes the music reflects that.

The other day I was taking a walk and listening to one of my favorite songs of all time, "Never the Same" by Echolyn. The song is about the loss of a loved one and what grief feels like. I have a hard time listening to that song without getting emotional. Though I've never experienced grief, I can sympathize with the lyrics.

"After the song is over
The dance goes on, so dance away
When all is said and done
Remember what's been given, not taken away"

Posted By: foregonillusions
Date Posted: July 06 2023 at 21:33
I love Subsignal's lyrics, and thusly some of Sieges Even's, because they're beautiful, but I often have no idea how to decipher them outside of some obvious examples.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk