Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130929
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 14:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RYM's top all time Jazz Fusion
Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Subject: RYM's top all time Jazz Fusion
Date Posted: May 16 2023 at 23:53
Pick your three favorites, and let us know which ones they are!

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=30" rel="nofollow - PA's top Jazz Rock/Fusion albums is mostly great as well (+ its got Arti E Mestieri & Nucleus on it:), but I love more albums on http://https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/g:jazz%2dfusion/" rel="nofollow - Rate You Music's Jazz Fusion list.

Interestingly Shibusashirazu - Shibuboshi has more than 2200 ratings on RYM, while only three at PA. Good stuff, but too much brassy noise for my tastes, preferences - or poor ears. Worth checking out for those of you who can't get enough of those wild japanese ensembles.

Only five of these albums are not on on PA. Bruno Pernadas* has been suggested - and really should be here. Both Sun Ra's in the poll are excellent and PA-relevant fusion. So is Cassiopeia's wonderful debut album (but they soon got even smoother). Taking their full discographies into consideration, I understand why none of them are the greatest fit for PA. Freddie Hubbard's (who's also been suggested) Straight Life is one of the many jazzfusion records that does not rock. My favorite kind of fusion rarely does. It's electrified and it grooves though. Like my favorite fusion often does.

*Full title and year of release year: Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them, 2016

-------------

Replies:
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 00:09
Myself I voted for:

Crossings
Big Fun &
Third

-but I'm only 100% certain about my first pick. Not voting for those two top Miles-albums doesn't feel right

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 01:06
1. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
2. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
3. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

Awesome poll.

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 02:46
From the list... The Grand Wazoo and Birds of Fire.

No Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Weather Report, Jean-Luc Ponty, Dixie Dregs, Bruford, Brand X? No modern fusion like Antoine Fafard, Dewa Budjana, Panzerballett, Hiromi?

RYM does not express my tastes.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 03:06
For me "The Break Even Point", the 1979 album by The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble, would definitely be on the list and be voted for, and since it isn't I won't vote.

Here three example tracks (two are taken from sampler albums of the band that contain tracks from the album, hence the different cover art):

Sadly the band is very little known because their albums came out on the label Mood Records, and the albums of that label were exclusively distributed via the German shop chain Zweitausendeins that had shops in several German cities, including Cologne (which is where my brother bought their albums).

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 03:47
Zappa's Hot Rats, Mahavishnu's Birds of Fire, and Hancock's Sextant.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 03:51
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

No Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Weather Report, Jean-Luc Ponty, Dixie Dregs, Bruford, Brand X? No modern fusion like Antoine Fafard, Dewa Budjana, Panzerballett, Hiromi?

And I'm the opposite. I find it remarkable how much I love from the list. The first two Weather Report albums do rank amongst my favourites, by the way. Choosing just three is almost ridiculous as I love the vast majority of those.

Today I'll go:
Soft Machine - Third
Herbie Hancock - Crossings

And for my third, Big Fun and Realization are especially calling to me right now, but I want to go for a more modern album, and I did listen to it again just the other day. Voting Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them.

I do listen to more contemporary music these days.

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

For me "The Break Even Point", the 1979 album by The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble, would definitely be on the list and be voted for, and since it isn't I won't vote.
Here an example track:...

And I could vote for most of these happily even when having favourites not in the list. You're hard to please when it comes to given choices, often going "other" even when there are a plethora of given choices. I wish you would make a poll of 25 of your favourite albums by 25 different artists/bands, or maybe do a blog. Of course this is about your favourite of the options, and it's not one that one could expect to rank at RYM with only a 3.37 rating with 33 ratings and one review. Or at PA, where it has 3.98 with eight ratings and only one of those has a reviews (not from a collab).

There are many others that would have made my list instead of some of these in the top 100, but I can;t complain. Awesome list methinks. Janko Nilovic's Rythmes contemporains, which s ranked at 55 at RYM is a personal favourite.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 03:56
I'll vote for my honest top three, which are Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, and Bitches Brew, even though I don't quite like to give two votes to Zappa with a good number of  other great albums around, such as Soft Machine Third, Return to Forever, Sleeping Beauty,...

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 03:56
Of these albums my vote goes to Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats", Chick Corea's "Return to Forever" and Soft Machine's "Third".

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 04:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

And I'm the opposite. I find it remarkable how much I love from the list. The first two Weather Report albums do rank amongst my favourites, by the way. Choosing just three is almost ridiculous as I love the vast majority of those.

Today I'll go:
Soft Machine - Third

And for my third, Big Fun and Realization are especially calling to me right now, but I want to go for a more modern album, and I did listen to it again just the other day. Voting Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them.

I do listen to more contemporary music these days.

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Here an example track:...

And I could vote for most of these happily even when having favourites not in the list. You're hard to please when it comes to given choices, often going "other" even when there are a plethora of given choices. I wish you would make a poll of 25 of your favourite albums by 25 different artists/bands, or maybe do a blog. Of course this is about your favourite of the options, and it's not one that one could expect to rank at RYM with only a 3.37 rating with 33 ratings and one review. Or at PA, where it has 3.98 with eight ratings and only one of those has a reviews (not from a collab).

There are many others that would have made my list instead of some of these in the top 100, but I can;t complain. Awesome list methinks. Janko Nilovic's Rythmes contemporains, which s ranked at 55 at RYM is a personal favourite.

It is not surprising there are no votes or reviews for albums of The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble due to the distributing exclusivity of Zweitausendeins. Hardly anyone knows of that band at all. Which is a shame; they are top notch.

Here a live video of them:

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 04:42
^ I know the band quite well already, but to me there is such a great amount of music in the RYM list that I don't feel such desire to focus on others. Since it is so little reviewed at PA: the debut has no reviews, the next has one reviewer and the one after has one review, have you as a prog reviewer considered reviewing it? I recall that you have mentioned the band a number of times. I don't have the writing skill that you reviewers do, otherwise I would review some of my favourite lesser-known albums.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 04:52
Hot Rats
Bitches Brew
Sextant

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 05:11

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, 1970
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, 1969
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire, 1973

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 06:07
Too many great albums to pick only three.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 06:12
Hi,

In my book, the same group being represented more than once, simply shows the lack of care for the "artist".

If you take away the doubles you actually have a nice list, which could include a lot more folks from Europe, most of which were left behind.

I don't think that many of us do not "accept" Miles, or Frank as "jazz-fusion" in some way, despite their tastes also moving in other directions as well. Thus, the need for 2nd, 3rd and 4th album by the same artist simply hurts the choices and the talent of many musicians the world over.

I couldn't vote ... the listing was too "popularity" minded, and I think it showed how much we listen to different versions of the music, and specially a lot of European stuff ... where it's diversion was influenced by a lot more than just the blues, and some independent spirits.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 06:35
The only album on that list which I really like is the Chick Corea one.
My favourite jazz/fusion band is Solution, by a country mile. Divergence, Cordon Bleu and Fully Interlocking are absolutely wonderful.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 08:49
Herbie Hancock ~ Head Hunters
Herbie Hancock ~ Thrust
Mahavishnu Orchestra ~ Birds of Fire

(Not a single RTF album...interesting. There are a few I'd knock out of there for Romantic Warrior.)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 08:53
Casiopea - Casiopea (1979) deserves a vote. Smile

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 08:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

(Not a single RTF album...interesting. There are a few I'd knock out of there for Romantic Warrior.)

Agreed

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 08:58
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Agreed

No bands/artists from Germany or (most of) Europe either. 

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Agreed

There's Eberhard Weber.

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Agreed

There's Eberhard Weber.

my bad. Embarrassed
But just one artist. 
And one artist from Portugal (I googled him, I didn't know him).
Two Japanese bands (Casiopea, never heard of the second one). 
John McLaughlin is British, but Mahavishnu  is Multi-National. 

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:35

Chick Corea - Return to Forever, 1972

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:00
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

that one is a Chick Corea album, not a Return to Forever album. RtF named themselves after this album

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:20
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

(Not a single RTF album...interesting. There are a few I'd knock out of there for Romantic Warrior.)

that one is a Chick Corea album, not a Return to Forever album. RtF named themselves after this album

Beat me to it. Clap

I knew somebody would cite that album, haha!

How are you, BaldJean!! Seems like you were absent for a bit.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:27

(Not a single RTF album...interesting. There are a few I'd knock out of there for Romantic Warrior.)

Beat me to it. Clap

I knew somebody would cite that album, haha!

yep. we were working on the stage show for our new band Dark Goddesses that consists of Friede and me, our daughters Alice and Dorothy and my sister Beatrice and her wife Charlotte

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:53

yep. we were working on the stage show for our new band Dark Goddesses that consists of Friede and me, our daughters Alice and Dorothy and my sister Beatrice and her wife Charlotte

Is the album ready or is this a completely different/new project?

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:56

it is a new project. with Charlotte we finally have a harp player (including electric harp). she also plays zither and koto

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 11:11

it is a new project. with Charlotte we finally have a harp player (including electric harp). she also plays zither and koto

Clap Oh, wow. That is dope. What synths are you using?

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 11:35
when Charlotte uses a distortion pedal on her electric harp it becomes incredibly heavy, much heavier than a distorted electric guitar. not what you would expect from a harp at all!

I use a Yamaha DX7, a Roland JD-800 and an ancient EMS synthi A for sound effects (in my opinion still the best synthesizer for this)

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:01

when Charlotte uses a distortion pedal on her electric harp it becomes incredibly heavy, much heavier than a distorted electric guitar. not what you would expect from a harp at all!

Copy that! It sounds awesome.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNINWMqxQQc" rel="nofollow - I found the heaviest distortion pedal and used it on harp - YouTube

I use a Yamaha DX7, a Roland JD-800 and an ancient EMS synthi A for sound effects (in my opinion still the best synthesizer for this)

The JD-800 is a killer synth. I wish I had one!

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:31

Copy that! It sounds awesome.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNINWMqxQQc" rel="nofollow - I found the heaviest distortion pedal and used it on harp - YouTube

yes, that's what it sounds like. incredible, isn't it?

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

In my book, the same group being represented more than once, simply shows the lack of care for the "artist".

If you take away the doubles you actually have a nice list, which could include a lot more folks from Europe, most of which were left behind.

I don't think that many of us do not "accept" Miles, or Frank as "jazz-fusion" in some way, despite their tastes also moving in other directions as well. Thus, the need for 2nd, 3rd and 4th album by the same artist simply hurts the choices and the talent of many musicians the world over.

I couldn't vote ... the listing was too "popularity" minded, and I think it showed how much we listen to different versions of the music, and specially a lot of European stuff ... where it's diversion was influenced by a lot more than just the blues, and some independent spirits.

I think this has been discussed with you already, but it comes across like you don't understand how RateYourMusic works or what its purpose is. It was primarily set up as a site where members (there are huge numbers) rate the albums in their collection. This data is collected, and one gets a general rating value based on all of those who rated it, and the ranking is calculated. I would find it odd at such an album rating and ranking site that is populated as it is, for the default to only show only one album by a band. You could suggest the change at the site if you think they could do it better. I don't see how lack of care for the artist comes into play with the way the site works. Of course it's popularity-minded, in that these are the 25 most popular albums according to the way that the data from the many users ratings are collated. It's like complaining about Prog Archives top album charts.

If someone who enjoys lots of jazz fusion can't find three to like and vote for in this list, then that comes down to their own limitations more than the limitations of RYM.

We've actually had the kind of discussion again and again, and I still don't understand your logic.

Of course you could go the chart and go down the list for 25 different albums by different band/artists or just list the first 25 band/artist names. Does something like having RYM and the way it works hurt an artist? I know that it has helped many an artist to gain recognition. I have discovered many wonderful names that I might never have discovered otherwise by looking at RYM's charts. You do seem to be talking from a place of ignorance where you don't really understand how the site and its communities work -- a bit of research before giving opinions can go a long way.

Incidentally, instead of people complaining/ or being concerned about what's not on the list, I do wish more would focus on what is there and what they do like from the list. Of course it's fine also to share other opinions.

-------------

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:47
1. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
2. Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life
3. Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:00

I guess, there're different opinions about it, as RYM, PA and Wikipedia consider it to be RtF's first album. Smile

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:12
From the list,

Mahavishnu Orchestra-The Inner Mounting Flame
Eberhard Weber-The Colours Of Chloe
Soft Machine-Third

personal top 3 

Giger Lenz Marron-Beyond
Passport-Cross Collateral
Dzyan-Time Machine

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:15

I guess, there're different opinions about it, as RYM, PA and Wikipedia consider it to be RtF's first album. Smile

If so, that's incorrect. If this is the album in question, it's by Chick Corea, and the title is Return to Forever. It's not "an album by" Return to Forever.

https://www.discogs.com/master/123528-Chick-Corea-Return-To-Forever" rel="nofollow - Chick Corea - Return To Forever | Releases | Discogs

This is the first album attributed to Return to Forever as a group.

https://www.discogs.com/master/41925-Chick-Corea-Return-To-Forever-Light-As-A-Feather" rel="nofollow - Chick Corea, Return To Forever - Light As A Feather | Releases | Discogs

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:29
Since I mentioned and voted for my top three already, here is a top ten from the list:

Soft machine - Third
Eddie Henderson - Realization,
Miles Davis - Big Fun
Herbie Hancoock Sextant
Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects...
Sun Ra - Lanquidity
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

And here are ten albums that I listed four years ago as favourites of mine in a JRF topic at PA (one album per artist).

Janko Nilovic - Rythmes Contemporains
Miles Davis - Big Fun
Mandingo - The Primeval Rhythm of Life
Eddie Henderson - Realisation
Julian Priester - Love, Love
Embryo - Embryo's Rache
Perigeo - Genealogia
Soft Machine - Third
Placebo - Ball of Eyes

These days I would want throw in Bruno Pernadas' Those Who Throw... from 2016 and another modern one that I love that also is from 2016 (such a great year), Niechęć's self-titled. The kid looks right out of Village of the Damned.

I think there's so much great jazz post-rock fusion.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:30

So do Stuart Nicholson, the author of the very well-researched and thorough Jazz-Rock: A History (1998).

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Correct. It's a chart. A chart doesn't care about anything.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:33

So do Stuart Nicholson, the author of the very well-researched and thorough Jazz-Rock: A History (1998).

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 16:57
In a Silent Way, The Inner Mounting Flame, Crossings.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:02

This will always be one of those things where some people/publications/sites will retroactively consider the album to be the first RTF album, and others will stick to the official, literal artist attribution. I'm sure there will never be a consensus on how to consider it, despite the fact that, at the time of its release, it WAS attributed to Chick Corea. It's kind of like Roine Stolt's album The Flower King. Could it be considered the first TFK album? Sure. Is it, technically? No. But, whatever.

Incidentally, a copy of that book you just referenced is sitting on desk right in front of me (I have yet to crack it open). I got it from a used book store in North Hollywood.

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Except for loving the same two early Weather Report as Logan does I don't miss any of those. In regards to modern fusion there's two entries from the 2000's in this poll, while only one (Hiromi) on PA top 25 fusion.
-
Btw: I also count Chick Corea - Return to Forever as Return to Forever's actual debut. It's my favorite of theirs as well. Romantic Warrior however represent everything I dislike about a certain kind of later 1970's fusion. Jazz/Sport Fusion.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:37
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Jazz/Sport Fusion.

Never heard of this, I imagine it's a derogatory term. Can you give an example? Ermm

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:58

Jazz/Sport Fusion.

Never heard of this, I imagine it's a derogatory term. Can you give an example? Ermm
It's an attemnt to give this "hey everyone look at me, I can play A LOT of notes really fast!" fusion subgenre a proper name. I know that many, and proggers in particular disagree*, but to me it's the sound of all flash, no substance. RTF's early albums never gave me that feeling.
-
*many of the typically popular fusion albums, performers/bands among proggers like Spectrum, Elegant Gypsy & Mahavishnu/McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Brand X, Dixie Dregs... leaves me cold more often than not.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 00:04

Jazz/Sport Fusion.
It's an attemnt to give this "hey everyone look at me, I can play A LOT of notes really fast!" fusion subgenre a proper name. I know that many, and proggers in particular disagree*, but to me it's the sound of all flash, no substance. RTF's early albums never gave me that feeling.
-
*many of the typically popular fusion albums, performers/bands among proggers like Spectrum, Elegant Gypsy & Mahavishnu/McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Brand X, Dixie Dregs... leaves me cold more often than not.

ok, thanks for explaining. Smile

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 04:18

Btw, this book is a great read about the history of the American Jazz Rock/Fusion.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 04:51

Jazz/Sport Fusion.
-

ok, thanks for explaining. Smile

this is a beef I especially have with Al Di Meola. that man just can't play slowly

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 05:01

Holdsworth, Brand X, and Dregs popular? Holdsworth's solo material is always viewed negatively here. You can't deny that Holdsworth was the most innovative guitar player ever, and his music is melodic. Not that it matters, but both Zappa and Van Halen mentioned Allan as a brilliant guitar player. Yes, some of his solos are fast, but I would not call that showing off. That is just his style. He plays the guitar like it's a saxophone. Are Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, and Miles Davis showing off when they play fast? Does that leave you cold?

I agree with you on McLaughlin. His songs, for me, are difficult to enjoy. Sport fusion at top speed, yet it currently has the most votes in this poll? Obviously, PA folk love some sport fusion.

Anyway, here is one of Allan's ballads. No sport solo.

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 06:19

Holdsworth, Brand X, and Dregs popular? Holdsworth's solo material is always viewed negatively here. You can't deny that Holdsworth was the most innovative guitar player ever, and his music is melodic.

Yes they represent a sort of fusion/playing that's particularly popular among proggers. As in they've got a greater status among progfans than elsehwere.

-I'm not denying anything, but I often (but not always) don't enjoy how Holdsworth plays - and the space he takes up in the music while doing it. He is one of the most popular fusion guitarists on these forums and is mentioned all the time, that's for sure. Plus everyone seem to think he saves those later Soft Machine albums - except for me who thinks he ruins them.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 06:49
^The best thing about these forums are the differing views of music. I don't agree that Holdsworth is mentioned all the time in these forums. In fact, just the opposite.

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 06:52

Holdsworth, Brand X, and Dregs popular? Holdsworth's solo material is always viewed negatively here. You can't deny that Holdsworth was the most innovative guitar player ever, and his music is melodic.

Yes they represent a sort of fusion/playing that's particularly popular among proggers. As in they've got a greater status among progfans than elsehwere.

-I'm not denying anything, but I often (but not always) don't enjoy how Holdsworth plays - and the space he takes up in the music while doing it. He is one of the most popular fusion guitarists on these forums and is mentioned all the time, that's for sure. Plus everyone seem to think he saves those later Soft Machine albums - except for me who thinks he ruins them.

Grumpy is a very prolific writer; maybe it's just him who mentions Holdsworth all the time? Tongue

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 07:22
I'm surprised to see Bruno Pernadas among such great musicians Shocked 

My votes went to:
Bruno Pernadas - Crocodiles
Casiopea - Casiopea
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

Three of the albums I must have mentioned the most back when I listed everything here.

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 08:09

Grumpy is a very prolific writer; maybe it's just him who mentions Holdsworth all the time? Tongue
Yes it's mostly me. Thank you for noticing, Lewian.

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:14

Yes it's mostly me. Thank you for noticing, Lewian.

I did a search and since last autumn (which is the five pages that shows), Holdsworth in namechecked (positively, several times) by:

Gerinski, Manuel, Psychedelic Paul, BrufordFreak, Richardh, Jaketejas, DutchProg, Steve Wyzard, Rick1, Mellotron Storm, Yam Yam, MortSahlFan, Dick Heath, Necrotica, JazzFusionGuy, HolyMoly, disquesplusqueréel, mathman0806, altered_beast, David_D, Jacob Schoolcraft, Atavachron, Hrychu, Nogbad_The_Bad, AFlowerKingCrimson, Negoba, Mirakaze, Cristi, graysnk2, telefunk, wiz_d_kidd & of course Grumpyprogfan and Lewian + not nessecarely as "fans" by Logan, Balfriede and myself. Edit: also Sean Trane

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:16

Billy Cobham's Spectrum features Jan Hammer, Lee Sklar and Tommy Bolin (as epic a line-up as any out there) and is a bona fide classic. Wink

The Dixie Dregs are popular? That's a new one to me. I mean, they should be!

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:20

Billy Cobham's Spectrum features Jan Hammer, Lee Sklar and Tommy Bolin (as epic a line-up as any out there) and is a bona fide classic. Wink

The Dixie Dregs are popular? That's a new one to me. I mean, they should be!
"Typically popular among proggers" is not the same as actually being popular. And yes I know you "all" love Spectrum. That's why I mentioned it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:34

And yes I know you "all" love Spectrum. That's why I mentioned it.

Well, it's hard to dislike, no? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:36
P.S. There are a lot of people (proggers and otherwise) who don't care for the Dregs. Naturally, I'm not one of them.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 10:06

I did a search and since last autumn (which is the five pages that shows), Holdsworth in namechecked (positively, several times) by:

(...)  Lewian (...)

What!? I don't remember that. Not a fan of him in particular (although I like some of his stuff).

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 10:21

(...)  Lewian (...)

What!? I don't remember that. Not a fan of him in particular (although I like some of his stuff).
I only meant/wrote "and of course" you two because you and Grumpy both mentioned him here on the previous page:)

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 17:29
A lot of interesting opinions and I guess being 18 years old and loving Angus Young and AC/DC is in my DNA because I do like flash. Not Di Meola a thousand notes a second flash but I want noise. That McLaughlin/Santana album for example. 
I think this goes against old school Jazz players who were so academic they wouldn't dare cross that line of showing off.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 18:59
For me, I'll take Freddie Hubbard ANY DAY over Miles Davis.  I always thought Miles was overrated.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 19:04
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

For me, I'll take Freddie Hubbard ANY DAY over Miles Davis.  I always thought Miles was overrated.
Praise be! Freddie is killer, but Lee Morgan is my favourite trumpet player.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 19:32
OF these it looks like Shibusashirazu, Sun Ra, Bruno Pernadas ,Freddie Hubbard and Casiopea aren't on PA. I've always wondered if Sun Ra should be on the site. He has some interesting fusion stuff. Other artists i'll have to explore further. Too many classics on this list so i can't possibly choose.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 00:21
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

OF these it looks like Shibusashirazu, Sun Ra, Bruno Pernadas ,Freddie Hubbard and Casiopea aren't on PA. I've always wondered if Sun Ra should be on the site. He has some interesting fusion stuff. Other artists i'll have to explore further. Too many classics on this list so i can't possibly choose.
Shibusashirazu is on PA. I write a little about these in the opening post. They all have albums that qualify, but Sun Ra on PA would feel kind of wrong.

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 00:23

I think you're both SORT OF right. Holdsworth is mentioned a decent amount on this site, and usually favorably. But it's almost always in reference to his work with UK, Soft Machine, and, to a lesser extent, Bruford. It's his solo work which is often either not mentioned, or not spoken of in a very positive light. It seems like GPF and I are the biggest extollers of Allan's work overall, including his solo output.

Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 00:43
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

A lot of interesting opinions and I guess being 18 years old and loving Angus Young and AC/DC is in my DNA because I do like flash. Not Di Meola a thousand notes a second flash but I want noise. That McLaughlin/Santana album for example. 
I think this goes against old school Jazz players who were so academic they wouldn't dare cross that line of showing off.
I don't think Angus Young is a good example. I'm not into AC/DC (kind of like their early albums when they had a groove and a great vocalist - without being a genuine fan) but he doesn't annoy me. Angus mostly serves the music well, doesn't he? I think I have a pretty high tolerance for noise in jazz and music in general. I do pass on most of the more extreme post-Coltrane brassy blowout competitions, but half my jazz collection is an unbearable listen for just about everyone I know but myself. I collect (and listen actively to) 1960/1970's Krzysztof Penderecki, all of Eric Dolphy, early Cecil Taylor... and they a certainly not considered easy listens. Anyway, it was mainly a way of trying to describe the kind of playing in fusion that has very little appeal to me. I thought it would be much easier to understand where I was coming from, and just move on.

Btw: A lot of old school jazz is more often than not one soloist taking the spotlight after the other, but rarely do I feel like it's about wanting to overshadow each other. I'm sure there's an competative element there as well, but if you got too high on yourself, you'd loose the gig and get a bad rep.
I suppose I prefer a "lyrical" approach to soloing that creates imagery, and has me responding to the music emotionally - over anything technicailly impressive. An approach I know McLaughlin and even Holdsworth have proven themselves capable of on several occasions, I might add.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 01:29

Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Praise be! Freddie is killer, but Lee Morgan is my favourite trumpet player.
If all there was to their music is their trumpet playing, I can understand. Any time I'm flicking through the jazz-section and notice Freddie or Lee are featured on the back of the album, I usually end up buying. But Miles is one of a kind, a whole institution, a school that gave birth to more sucessful careers than any actual school could + a visionary and one of the most important artists of the 20th century. His tone, the voice in his playing allowing a lot of breathing space makes him stand out. It's so unmistakable that you'll know it's either Miles or a copycat. His playing in itself may be "overrated"*, but his contributions to the history of jazz, really can't be overrated.

*but I actually think most listeners are aware that his greatness is only partly about how he blows his horn compared to other hornblowers.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 05:40
^Agree that Miles was an innovator and one of the pioneers of fusion. I enjoyed much of his Bop music, when he was shredding "sport trumpet". However, "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew", leave me cold.

Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 05:57

^Agree that Miles was an innovator and one of the pioneers of fusion. I enjoyed much of his Bop music, when he was shredding "sport trumpet". However, "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew", leave me cold.
I don't know if you've already tried them. But there's a trio of typically transitional part fusion/part post bop-albums, namely Miles in the Sky, Filles de Kilimanjaro and Water Babies that I'm really just as fond of as his later "certified fusion"-albums. None of them as abstract as Bitches Brew (which could be said about the later released, Big Fun as well)

-------------

Posted By: rik wilson
Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 10:08
I love them all ;Miles Davis- Silent Way ;Frank Zappa-Hot Rats ; and Soft Machine -Third. These albums turned aa old  psychedelic rocker into a jazz appreciator and helped develop my own musical direction. I would add Soft Machine -Seven and Dixie Dregs full catalog.

Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 11:49
This poll and thread make no mention of guitarist the late Eddy Marron, which is a big mistake. Though mostly known in PA circles for his work in the sometimes krautrock labelled band Dzyan, also featuring at one point Swiss drummer Peter Giger (their second album known as "Time Machine" is jazz fusion all right), Marron also shined in the fusion trio Giger Lenz Marron that I tried in vain to get added to the PA database. 
                        Those guys in Dzyan were Mahavishnu Orchestra admirers, and Time Machine is a astonishingly great album. Giger Lenz Marron (GLM) are under the radar for most people in general, but are more than worth it searching for.

Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 12:23
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

This poll and thread make no mention of guitarist the late Eddy Marron, which is a big mistake.
I love Dzyan's second and third album (but I wouldn't primarely label them as Jazz Fusion) and both those Giger/Lenz/Marron-albums. But again RYM's top all time Jazz Fusion is a chart based on the albumratings and reviews on Rate Your Music, so no mistake.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 12:35

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

This poll and thread make no mention of guitarist the late Eddy Marron, which is a big mistake.
I love Dzyan's second and third album (but I wouldn't primarely label them as Jazz Fusion) and both those Giger/Lenz/Marron-albums. But again RYM's top all time Jazz Fusion is a chart based on the albumratings and reviews on Rate Your Music, so no mistake.
Gotcha. Thanks for your reply.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk