Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130933
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 09:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Simon & Garfunkel for Prog Folk?
Posted By: BrufordFreak
Subject: Simon & Garfunkel for Prog Folk?
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 08:50
As many of you may have noticed, I've been on quite a "Classic Era" Prog Folk kick lately. (it's been WONDERFUL!)

As I've been listening to many albums that are totally new to me, I find myself marveling at how often Simon & Garfunkel come to mind. Now I can't help but feel/wonder that S & G might have had some profound effect on the Folk and Prog Folk musics appearing and developing across The Pond (in both the British Isles and Europa). 

So, has there ever been a discussion as to whether Simon and Garfunkel deserve a place in the PA database--in proto-prog (follk) if not in the mainframe of the sub-genre?

I grew up with S & G playing almost daily around me as my mother and her brother were huge fans.

Now as I listen to their five albums I do hear many elements that would qualify them as proggy: organs, drums, fuzzy electric guitars ("A Simple Desultory Philippic," "Somewhere They Can't Find Me"), Psychedelic Folk Rock arrangements ("A Simple Desultory Philippic," "Blessed," "Somewhere They Can't Find Me," "Richard Cory," "A Most Peculiar Man," "A Hazy Shade of Winter," "The Boxer") incorporation of strings and orchestral instruments and arrangements ("Dangling Conversation"--before The Beatles) (and Mellotron in "The Boxer") as well as harpsichord, celestina, and other anachronistic instruments, aggressive vocals ("I Am a Rock," "Mrs. Robinson," "A Hazy Shade of Winter"), bombastic drums ("Homeward Bound," "The Boxer"), effects, multiple motifs in songs, great electric bass lines, incorporation of theatric and television voice samples ("7 O'clock News/Silent Night"), very poetic and often politically-motivated lyrics (some quite acerbic like "A Simple Desultory Philippic," "7 O'clock News/Silent Night"), coverage of old/ancient/anarchronistic songs ("de Lessus' "Benedictus"), aggressive vocal and instrumental performances reminiscent of Comus and Martin Cockerham, as well as incredible guitar and vocal musicianship (including groundbreaking vocal and instrumental arrangements of "Scarborough Fair/Canticle")--often of the most angelic kind. Plus, the fact that the band definitely "progressed" over the course of their seven years on the map: from covers of traditional American folk songs (a trend that was soon paralleled in Britain, Ireland, France, and Germany) .

The existence of many songs that have been covered by progressive pop and rock bands is another reason to consider them for inclusion. "America," "Sound of Silence," "A Hazy Shade of Winter," "The Boxer," et al.

Anyway, just opening a discussion. I imagine that this will resonate more with American readers, but when I look at the dates of S & G's output (1964-1970) and compare the sounds and patterns of sourcing/inspiration, I find them ahead of, if not comparable to, British bands of the same era. What think you, People of the ProgArchives?

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:22
Did you post this in the suggest new artist section also?

Anyway, I enjoy S&G but I'm not familiar enough with their music to know if they are considered prog folk or not. My opinion based on what I know would be to say no they aren't. 

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:34
In Save The Life Of My Child" (Bookends 1968) the basic idea of Harold The Barril can be heard (somebody is about to jump off a ledge, and we hear many voices: the mother, the cops, the casual bystander) predating Genesis own song.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:44
There are some songs that could have something prog in some way, but I don't think they should be on the site. Neither Prog-related.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, I did not. I figured I'd put it up for general discussion in order to get a feel as to whether or not it would be a crazy idea to submit them for Prog Folk consideration.

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:03
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

There are some songs that could have something prog in some way, but I don't think they should be on the site. Neither Prog-related.

I have this same feeling, but I wanted to hear what other people thought. 

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 10:04
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

In Save The Life Of My Child" (Bookends 1968) the basic idea of Harold The Barril can be heard (somebody is about to jump off a ledge, and we hear many voices: the mother, the cops, the casual bystander) predating Genesis own song.

Cool! 
I suspect that there are many lines and ideas which had direct effect on the creative process of Prog Folk artists all around the world.

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 11:00
Exquisite songwriters and singers indeed but not prog imo

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 11:03
I think Drew missed off the most obvious track they recorded which could possibly be described as falling within progressive rock, or art rock as it was, and that is The Only Living Boy in New York. Still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

However, the answer to the main question is no, they do not belong here by any stretch of the imagination. Simon & Garfunkel started off, as Tom & Jerry, as a rock n' roll outfit hugely influenced by The Everley Brothers. When they reunited as S&G, they were regarded as being in the vanguard of the folk/Americana movement of the 60's, mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Dylan. Those political songs? Well, most of them, if you study Simon's lyrics, were deeply political - the generational songs of a protest movement which literally changed American politics and society.

They influenced a whole generation of poets, musicians, politicians - the list goes on and on. That list includes artists who are listed on Prog Archives. But, proto-prog? 

Nope - about as prog as Marilyn Monroe's bottom. 

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 11:06
No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related, nor do they belong in the Progressive Music Lounge. Moving this to the General Music Discussions forum. At this site, that’s where S&G most belong..

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: bardberic
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:44
not even remotely sorry

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 13:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related, nor do they belong in the Progressive Music Lounge. Moving this to the General Music Discussions forum. At this site, that’s where S&G most belong..

I guess this reassignment of a discussion thread is about as definitive of a response to my initial query. At the same time, I think it sad that a group of Progressive Rock-oriented people is being denied the rather salacious opportunity of discussing the various prog elements and influences of this very interesting artist. As a "prog" discussion it has the advantages of being easily seen and responded to by the majority; as a "general" item, it will probably only reach a minority of eyes. BUT, I am already encouraged by the responses (except for the "not even remotely") to an important band--one of America's equivalents to England's The Jam.

So be it! The High Council has spoken! RESPECT! (Life goes on.)

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 13:13
Obviously BOOKENDS would be my choice because it's eclectic. The song "Save The Life Of My Child" features Paul Beaver on the Moog Synthesizer. He's only playing a few notes and most people might not be impressed by that aspect..however historically this was a magical period in time when Beaver And Krause were introducing the Moog Synthesizer to Pop artists and Rock bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors etc. ..so it's super interesting to me that an innovator like Paul Beaver appears on this record.

I will admit ...Bookends is a strange album. The tape recordings of elderly people in a nursing home is a precursor to David Greenberger and Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic capturing that moment for an entire album as a concept. When I first heard this on Bookends I found it a bit Avant-garde and overly depressing as it is followed by "Old Friends " which expresses a really deep depression.

Another odd aspect to this album is the usage of Mellotron. It's a little reminiscent to how The Moody Blues used the Mellotron and it kind of throws you off. Additionally certain songs are odd regarding the style of writing and lyrically the subject matter. Simon And Garfunkel had never released an album like Bookends before and they never did again. Sometimes I've listened to it between a Nick Drake album and a Procol Harum album..I'll give it 4 stars for that and it's certainly a depressing album.

I get the impression that Jon Anderson may have been inspired by the songs from this particular album. He did state in the past that Simon And Garfunkel were influential to him. So it's probably safe to say that certain Prog musicians in the Art Rock bands of the 60s and 70s borrowed their elements, ideas, etc. That doesn't mean they tried to sound like them. Bookends does not belong in Progressive Rock. It's definitely a collection of odd songs and it does contain Prog type keyboard sound such as the Mellotron, but some of the writing derives from Folk Rock of the 60s more than Prog.

You could easily say that several Folk and Pop artists released off beat albums in the 60s and 70s that you can't quite identify what it derives from. Laura Nyro wrote some of the strangest chord progressions on the planet. Songs with unusual time signatures that were musically dark, melodic and jazzy. She influenced Todd Rundgren big time, but she was not a Progressive Rock artist.

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 13:14
^ I didn't make those rules, but I have been enforcing them for many years. We certainly can discuss any Prog merits in the General Music Discussion. To me it's something of a related to Prog-Folk Related duo.

Here are the forum guidelines: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13082" rel="nofollow - https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13082

Quote Pog Music lounge
This section is for general discussions about Progressive music. Unless and until an artist is included in Prog Archives, they are not considered to be "prog". In other words, discussions in "Prog Music Lounge" should only be about groups/music currently included in Prog Archives, or about progressive music in general. If you wish to suggest a band for inclusion in the site, see "Suggest new Bands" below. For discussions on all other types of music see the "General music discussions" section below.
N.B. In terms of the incorrect posting of threads, this is the most widely abused section of the forum. Please make sure you only create threads in this section which directly relate to Prog music.

I think I might do a sticky topic in the Prog Music lounge as so many people do neglect the Site Rules and Guidelines Section of the forum, and think to keep some order to the forums they are worthwhile.   A lot of people have posted in the Prog forums just to get more exposure even when they know that the topic is not best-suited there.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:55

They were discussed/considered for a (very) short while by the PF team at one point - if memory serves, when discussing the Magna Carta case - and turned down.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 15:03
^ OH interesting, thanks. I wouldn't have expected S&G to even get that far, unlike, say, contemporaries like Donovan or contemporaries and fellow countrymen like Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I'm not suggesting those, or opening up more cans of worms, just thinking of some other big names from around the same time that are out that have more merit to me (most of the 60s to 70 folk that I think of with a Prog Folk relation tends to have a psychedelic quality to me). And I think of Nick Drake as more Prog Folk related than S&G. Actually, I can see some relation with Bookends particularly, but no.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 15:21
Nah......

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 16:00
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nah......

Ditto.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 16:38
They could be proto-prog (years 1963-1971).

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Gordy
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 17:07

No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related[...]

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 17:37
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

They could be proto-prog (years 1963-1971).

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related[...]

Nor in Proto-Prog.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 18:06
It would definitely be stretching the definition.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 18:32
First, let me just say I absolutely adore Simon & Garfunkel. Second, no, they are not prog folk. Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Strawbs...those are prog folk -- they fundamentally altered the presentation of folk music. 

S&G was merely a splendid but fairly conventional folk duo with a large studio budget. They are Bob Dylan, with the same lyrical profundity, but with vastly superior vocal accomplishment and orchestral arrangements here and there. When the song "Sounds of Silence" didn't sell, they swapped the acoustic arrangement for an electric guitar track a la His Bobness.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 00:56

^ OH interesting, thanks. I wouldn't have expected S&G to even get that far, unlike, say, contemporaries like Donovan or contemporaries and fellow countrymen like Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I'm not suggesting those, or opening up more cans of worms, just thinking of some other big names from around the same time that are out that have more merit to me (most of the 60s to 70 folk that I think of with a Prog Folk relation tends to have a psychedelic quality to me). And I think of Nick Drake as more Prog Folk related than S&G. Actually, I can see some relation with Bookends particularly, but no.

I think the slight discussion about S&G was because clearly Magna Carta inspired themselves on the duo's songwriting to compose their music.

Yes, we've considered Nick Drake (his shadow is still around - it is tempting to reassess) & Donovan.
We even looked into Gordon Lightfoot's case at one point.
With CSN&Y, then we're partly opening the can of worm to country music (as opposed to folk).

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

First, let me just say I absolutely adore Simon & Garfunkel. Second, no, they are not prog folk. Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Strawbs...those are prog folk -- they fundamentally altered the presentation of folk music. 

S&G was merely a splendid but fairly conventional folk duo with a large studio budget. They are Bob Dylan, with the same lyrical profundity, but with vastly superior vocal accomplishment and orchestral arrangements here and there. When the song "Sounds of Silence" didn't sell, they swapped the acoustic arrangement for an electric guitar track a la His Bobness.

TBH, I wonder just how much S&G are "folk" at all.
They're certainly not sounding Celtic/European folk, and I'm not sure I detect anything either from the Appalachian mountain range folk music forms (hillbilly, bluegrass, etc) and beyond: from Acadian area in New Brunswick to Cajun area in Louisiana.
To me, I'd also say that S&G are more of (a splendid, indeed) Singer/songwriter duo (even if we know only Paul Simon composed) that played acoustic guitars when needed.
I'll go on a stretch, as I'm not all that familiar with Joan Baez's catalogue, but I'd consider her more of a protest singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar before considering her as folk artiste.

in other words, acoustic guitar =/= folk automatically

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 03:55
We are too narrow thinking in our definitions of “folk”, “prog”, and etc. 

You could make a cogent argument that the type of progressive music played by Genesis certainly in the Gabriel period was an English pastoral folk music, much of it talking about particularly English tradition.

S&G, Baez, Dylan, CSN, CSN&Y were all born of a deep Americana tradition which could also be called folk music, and much of their music, incidentally, very much influenced what we call “traditional” progressive rock artists.

In reality, music is a spectrum, and the differing types of music are themselves on a spectrum. This is one of the reasons I have such an issue with the arcane way PÅ classifies its artists, or worse, the way it rejects artists.

I wrote a review this week for a wonderful “folk rock” band from Wigan named Merry Hell, which has attracted a lot of interest. In my review, I referenced Barclay James Harvest as coming from the same Northern UK working class tradition. Guess what? It turns out the band are huge fans of BJH and acknowledge their influence.

The artists are far wiser when it comes to such matters than us.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

You could make a cogent argument that the type of progressive music played by Genesis certainly in the Gabriel period was an English pastoral folk music, much of it talking about particularly English tradition.

S&G, Baez, Dylan, CSN, CSN&Y were all born of a deep Americana tradition which could also be called folk music, and much of their music, incidentally, very much influenced what we call “traditional” progressive rock artists.

In reality, music is a spectrum, and the differing types of music are themselves on a spectrum. This is one of the reasons I have such an issue with the arcane way PÅ classifies its artists, or worse, the way it rejects artists.

I wrote a review this week for a wonderful “folk rock” band from Wigan named Merry Hell, which has attracted a lot of interest. In my review, I referenced Barclay James Harvest as coming from the same Northern UK working class tradition. Guess what? It turns out the band are huge fans of BJH and acknowledge their influence.

Hmm.....Interesting, I think I see your point(s). Not that it would make me think S&G are prog folk, but for me in 'Merica thinking that Genesis is more prog because they sung about English ways/traditions does have a more prog feel. So is that what y'all across the pond feel about S&G singing about 'Merica things? Or say Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder singing about the life in the US ghetto's?

I think artists could give a rats a$$ what we call their music, as long as we buy it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:46

I agree and I believe that music has no barriers therefore puts a limitation on being accurate at categorizing its style. It's been complicated for Progressive Rock websites to decide on an appropriate method of categorization for everyone.

On forums it's evident that many members not only disagree with each other, but disagree with the final decision on how a particular band is placed in a certain sub genre or possibly even being rejected.

So many members have different opinions, (which is to be expected), and being opinionated can offend other people's tastes even if you are fair about your candidnese.

My sympathies go out to people who try and create a coherent Progressive Rock website. Music has no barriers. If you've been a professional musician the whole of your life that becomes a fact merely through your decades of experience. I don't know how the administrators do it. They must be pulling their hair out trying to do the right thing. It's simply because music itself can sometimes be defying of a category and that alone triggers a lot of fans to see their favorite music represented quite differently than it commonly is on the internet. Therefore running a Progressive Rock website has got to be a difficult task

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 11:38

Well, yes, but PA has this ambiguity of being both a database and a review site. Reviews, generally, don't need - or shouldn't need - a framework or "genre justification" to exist. A database, however, needs criteria to set its rules of classification and/or of inclusion and exclusion.

When it comes to an ill-defined music genre like prog, the cataloguing of music becomes a bit hasardous. Prog is quite an ill-defined genre, in my opinion, and thus the inclusion/exclusion of bands/artists into a "prog" database becomes as hasardous, or - if you prefer - as inconsistent as it is here on PA. Here, a limited number of people decide on the inclusion or not of a band in the database, with the utterly stupid limitation of being able to tag a band (and not albums) with just one single sub-genre label. Viewed from cataloging principles this is a major, and quite awkward, limitation and flaw of the PA database, and apparently the site owner - who had the wonderful idea of creating this site and database but clearly wasn't as informed on creating databases from a cataloguing and users point of view - is not willing to adapt/update the current database to modern day standards.

Which leads maybe to the question, apart from inclusion into the database, to be able to review albums that might interest prog fans that are not necessarily present in the PA database... But this would probably need a review of policy regarding the links between the PA database and eventual reviews... which means creating a different policy regarding the PA database and the PA reviews section. I don't see that happen, at least not at short term, but it would/could be an interesting evolution of PA...

Bringing this all back to Simon & Garfunkel, I think they don't have their place in the current database, but reviews of their albums on this site could be very interesting and welcome, imho. It would need a "detachment" (or "disconnection") of the database and the review section, which would mean a complete revision of this site, so I don't see it coming...

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 12:21

no thanks

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:04
Fantastic band but I think they don't really fit the vibe of this database. ;P

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:05
I've often idly wondered how the American wing of folk rock produced huge stars (Dylan, Byrds, S&G) but the British wing really didn't (Donovan is perhaps an exception), but I suppose some of those stars were more in the singer songwriter vein which obviously counted some huge acts and scored much more mass appeal.  Perhaps singer songwriter is indeed where S&G fit best but I wouldn't deny their influence on prog groups that followed them.  Great music, and proto prog might make some sense, but probably more in the vein of CSNY, Cat Stevens and their ilk

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: May 19 2023 at 00:07
Traditional regional folk genres =/= the 60s counter culture folk movement, by the way. Though the usage of the term "folk" for both certainly confounds things.

Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 22:43
Simon and Garfunkel were very popular around the time their music was used for The Graduate. I recall being surrounded by the hippie culture in the U.S. between ages 12 to 14. Everyone seemed to praise Fairport Convention. A lot of music talk between my older sister and her hippie friends interested me.

I probably discovered Fairport Convention from being tied in with those people and I believe it was in 69' or 70'. Further into the 70s I went to Rock concerts. Typically a Folk Rock band would be first or second on the bill. Again...I'm waiting in line with my ticket and people are talking about Fairport Convention. They were always acknowledged as a superb Folk band. I cannot speak for the entire U.S. but I can speak for the city of Philadelphia, Baltimore, Maryland, New Jersey...the tri state union where most of the youth knew who Sandy Denny was....no doubt..but yet Fairport Convention went absolutely nowhere.

They were frequently played on FM radio and most people were aware of their music. Then Sandy Denny was featured on Led Zeppelin Battle Of Evermore . During that time everyone knew it was her..which future generations didn't acknowledge her on the Led Zeppelin album and assumed Robert Plant was singing the entire song .

Fairport Convention were a hot item in the eastern U.S., but that popularity didn't give them Stadium status nor did they become legendary for future generations to look them up..and why do you think that is? Because record companies and radio stations were sending signals out to every youth in America trying to keep them interested in Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell. They financed them. It was a major investment and they wouldn't let it go.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 23:06
RYM lists them as a mix of folk pop, folk rock, chamber folk and folk baroque but basically they were gussied up folk pop. Prog folk needs more complex arrangements, more complex time signature changes etc. This does remind me that i bought the box set years ago which features EVERY studio and live album they did during their time together. I still haven't heard some of the live albums so will have to visit those soon. Great folk act though.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 20 2023 at 23:39
I quite love this song, and believe that it has progressive aspects to it!  However, generally speaking, I don't think S&G would fit well with this site.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: May 21 2023 at 09:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

TBH, I wonder just how much S&G are "folk" at all.
They're certainly not sounding Celtic/European folk, and I'm not sure I detect anything either from the Appalachian mountain range folk music forms (hillbilly, bluegrass, etc) and beyond: from Acadian area in New Brunswick to Cajun area in Louisiana.
To me, I'd also say that S&G are more of (a splendid, indeed) Singer/songwriter duo (even if we know only Paul Simon composed) that played acoustic guitars when needed.
I'll go on a stretch, as I'm not all that familiar with Joan Baez's catalogue, but I'd consider her more of a protest singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar before considering her as folk artiste.

in other words, acoustic guitar =/= folk automatically

Yes, Simon & Garfunkel was a folk act. They are in the same vein of folk as Dylan, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly. In your overview of American folk you skipped over that entire aspect of folk-as-protest-music that rose from union and civil right movements which started in the late 19th century and throve in the 30s, 40s and 50s. (in fact, Joan Baez sang an old union protest song "Joe Hill", about a union organizer killed by the copper bosses in 1915, during her Woodstock performance).

Simon & Garfunkel was part of the 20th Century Folk Revival that coalesced under Seeger, Guthrie and the Weavers in the late 50s/early 60s of whom Bob Dylan was the greatest proponent, but included the Kingston Trio, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, Joan Baez, Peter, Paul & Mary, Phil Ochs and Simon & Garfunkel. 

If you listen to S & G's first album, they covered a multitude of traditional folk songs: "Last Night I had the Strangest Dream" (also sung by Johnny Cash), "Benedictus", "Peggy-O",  "Go Tell It On the Mountain", "The Times They Are a-Changin (a Dylan tune), but by the time their 2nd album Sounds of Silence was released , they had enough material to compose all their own songs (just like Bob Dylan before them). And all the songs are firmly rooted in the American Folk genre, with the addition of rock elements.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: May 21 2023 at 13:11
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I quite love this song, and believe that it has progressive aspects to it!  However, generally speaking, I don't think S&G would fit well with this site.  

this is one of the best songs evrer made IMO, curriculum in song writing.

-------------

Posted By: Boi_da_boi_124
Date Posted: May 21 2023 at 13:29
Definitely progressive, definitely folky, but I think the only place on PA they are welcome is Prog Related.

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:50
If you see fit to place them in Proto related prog ..I believe it's important to acknowledge the fact that Bookends was in a world of its own. Their other albums sound nothing like Bookends. Not even close and to be specific the structure of the album compared to their others is completely opposite of what they normally were up to that point. The Boxer had the "feel" of Bookends. Short of that their other albums were part of a separation in styles.

Paul Simon's chord progressions are way more jazzy . He plays like he previously did but he adds in new vocabulary to his playing on this album. They were working with Beaver and Krause and that influenced S&G to write differently maybe more in the approach that The Beatles had where each song flowed into another and the overall affect of the album was like watching a film.

Bookends contained some tricky vocal parts and some interesting harmony. Bookends was a collection of odd songs colored with Synthesizer and Mellotron. The songs are deep although a few are also humorous. The ideas are interesting. It's more English sounding to me and at times British Psychedelic...which you all know varied with its instrumentation and its usage of electronics and Mellotron which.....that's what Simon and Garfunkel were trying to do on this album....They were a Folk Duo and they wanted to experiment with new ideas and so they recorded Bookends, but it's important to remember that they never repeated this type of approach and it only happened once.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:55

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

They could be proto-prog (years 1963-1971).[/QUOTE
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

[QUOTE=Logan] No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related[...]
Nor in Proto-Prog.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:57
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

If you see fit to place them in Proto related prog ..I believe it's important to acknowledge the fact that Bookends was in a world of its own. Their other albums sound nothing like Bookends. Not even close and to be specific the structure of the album compared to their others is completely opposite of what they normally were up to that point. The Boxer had the "feel" of Bookends. Short of that their other albums were part of a separation in styles.

Paul Simon's chord progressions are way more jazzy . He plays like he previously did but he adds in new vocabulary to his playing on this album. They were working with Beaver and Krause and that influenced S&G to write differently maybe more in the approach that The Beatles had where each song flowed into another and the overall affect of the album was like watching a film.

Bookends contained some tricky vocal parts and some interesting harmony. Bookends was a collection of odd songs colored with Synthesizer and Mellotron. The songs are deep although a few are also humorous. The ideas are interesting. It's more English sounding to me and at times British Psychedelic...which you all know varied with its instrumentation and its usage of electronics and Mellotron which.....that's what Simon and Garfunkel were trying to do on this album....They were a Folk Duo and they wanted to experiment with new ideas and so they recorded Bookends, but it's important to remember that they never repeated this type of approach and it only happened once.

Don't confuse clever and innovative pop music for progressive folk.   And frankly the "One Prog Album" rule/non-rule can be abused, so let's not let it be.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 20:16
It was John Simon that played the synthesizer line for "Save The Life Of My Child" not Paul Beaver...My mistake! However I think it's safe to say that S&G consulted with Beaver And Krause regarding their interest in the Moog Synthesizer...just as most musicians living in those times did..such as The Doors, The Byrds, The Beatles, George Martin and so on and so forth as it is documented that Beaver And Krause pioneered the Moog Synthesizer to Rock bands in the 60s. Several musicians consulted with Bob Moog on the usage of its musical capabilities..Wendy Carlos, Mort Garson and others...but Beaver And Krause pushed the synthesizer into Rock Music and as time progressed Progressive Rock with Keith Emerson consulting with Bob Moog regarding what type of sound or control over the instrument that he wanted and Paul Beaver helped design a Moog Synthesizer for him.

Simon And Garfunkel were definitely pursuing that on Bookends through Pop Music. That was a part of history where two particular guys held the key and all the answers to operating the Moog Synthesizer to your own means. It was a social form of expansion in Pop Music, Rock Music, and eventually Progressive Rock music. It was the golden age of Art Rock Music and everybody had a new idea because nothing of that magnitude had ever been invented before had it? No it hadn't ..and as a result bands like Family, The Moody Blues, Caravan, and King Crimson surfaced.

It's obvious that Simon And Garfunkel had an interest in pursuing that path. They crossover into areas of being Progressive and Bookends was thought to be trippy and dark in those times. You have to consider the times. Mort Garson had released the Zodiac album in 67' which was corny, but supposedly influential to the Moody Blues. The song "Old Friends " is rather impressionable particularly in the center section where a string quartet is playing a more Avant-garde sounding line of dissonance and it really distracts from the fact that it's a Simon And Garfunkel album. It is an unusual album.

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 21:25
^ I respect your passion --

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 27 2023 at 07:53
Hi,

This is, by far, one of the saddest things I have ever seen and read.

There has been for hundreds of years, and even millenia, a lot of music, and arts that we have never heard or enjoyed or could possibly appreciate, and to decide if they deserve to be "progressive" somewhere in PA, or elsewhere, is scary ... how can such wonderful material and music, be ignored? By people that are so star struck by the the electric components and definition of "progressive music", that something original and completely different can not even be appreciate and the best many of us here can do is say ... NO ... 

Perhaps PA or someone else needs a new genre ... "quasi progressive" and it could/should include a lot of things that were pop music, mostly, but they had their expressive qualities that gave them a better artistic quota than simple pop music. A&G fit in places a lot more than just pop music ... but they also "stretched" things like Bob Dylan had done a few years just before!

I just don't want to see excellent albums of music, not get a listen by new fans, because they can not get a "progressive" vote in this board, and you already know that metal fans will immediately say that S&G is crap, not progressive, and not worthy of it, as if they had heard more than 5 minutes worth of it, to be able to even determine how good they really were opposite the carbon copy of the metal format!

Just to be contrarian, yes, I would like to see S&G on PA ... because great music deserves to be mentioned and noticed ... not forgotten into the scrap heap of your local FM station playing tapes of music they own.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 27 2023 at 08:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

There has been for hundreds of years, and even millenia, a lot of music, and arts that we have never heard or enjoyed or could possibly appreciate, and to decide if they deserve to be "progressive" somewhere in PA, or elsewhere, is scary ... how can such wonderful material and music, be ignored? By people that are so star struck by the the electric components and definition of "progressive music", that something original and completely different can not even be appreciate and the best many of us here can do is say ... NO ... 

Perhaps PA or someone else needs a new genre ... "quasi progressive" and it could/should include a lot of things that were pop music, mostly, but they had their expressive qualities that gave them a better artistic quota than simple pop music. A&G fit in places a lot more than just pop music ... but they also "stretched" things like Bob Dylan had done a few years just before!

I just don't want to see excellent albums of music, not get a listen by new fans, because they can not get a "progressive" vote in this board, and you already know that metal fans will immediately say that S&G is crap, not progressive, and not worthy of it, as if they had heard more than 5 minutes worth of it, to be able to even determine how good they really were opposite the carbon copy of the metal format!

Just to be contrarian, yes, I would like to see S&G on PA ... because great music deserves to be mentioned and noticed ... not forgotten into the scrap heap of your local FM station playing tapes of music they own.

Nobody ignores Simon & Garfunkel, they are one if the greatest bands to have ever existed. So, your assessment is wrong there. 

I have also never seen a metalhead insult Simon & Garfunkel. I have listened to all sorts of metal music/subgenres all my life, i have always loved the music of Simon & Garfunkel. So you are wrong again (and kinda insulting to fans & listeners of metal music). 

I also don't think their music will be forgotten, I don't know where you got this idea from. Confused

Date Posted: February 11 2024 at 16:27

Ha! I've told you! Prog is pog!

But yeah. The reason for this bump was that I did a search if any PA user has used the slang word "pog" here and apparently no. Only as a misspelling of "prog".

-------------

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: February 12 2024 at 00:17
Do it... If you put your finger over Paul Simons face, it looks like Art  Garfunkel has a huge Cossack moustache. Go on, do it... Simon and Garfunkel  - iFunny

Date Posted: February 12 2024 at 05:02
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I agree and I believe that music has no barriers therefore puts a limitation on being accurate at categorizing its style. It's been complicated for Progressive Rock websites to decide on an appropriate method of categorization for everyone.
My sympathies go out to people who try and create a coherent Progressive Rock website. Music has no barriers. If you've been a professional musician the whole of your life that becomes a fact merely through your decades of experience. 

Hi,

The very nature of "progressive" is being different and making the work be/sound not a regular part of the main stream of what has happened to pop music over the years. Thus, the very definition of several areas, is limiting, and it probably should be to help identify some work ... but in the process, it leaves behind a lot of work that ... crosses/bridges the very details that we thought made this designation, or that designation.

I'm not sure there is a proper answer, since the minute we find one, something will come along and give us another view or interpretation.

There is one thing that bothers me ... and it is the idea that a lot of the "progressive" definitions are designed towards the British side of things, and this hurts many American bands and artists, because the ideas where many of them came from is completely different and it's almost like saying that the era of American folks described by DE is not important, but the one that is visible in the British Isles is all that the definition adheres to ... and this is sad.

I think that we have to make these definitions cleaner and more appropriate to the work of a lot of musicians ... we are basically saying that any folk music that has progressive elements in China and Japan can not possibly stand up, because it is not English, or even (heaven forbid!) American. And the work by Japanese and Chinese folks in the folk are is quite visible ... but not always heard ... at least the use of traditional instruments is there along more modern electric stuff.

All it really says, is that the definitions of various areas, is not clean, and was not properly defined, and we should/could (maybe!) start cleaning that up, in the hopes that we can strengthen the work that we love that is called "progressive" ... before we kill it with really poor "un-musical" definitions that make no sense ... my feeling for stuff that is defined by "sound" and not its music! You take the electricity out, and the music has not enough ... to be anywhere near "progressive".

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 12 2024 at 17:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Anyway, I enjoy S&G but I'm not familiar enough with their music to know if they are considered prog folk or not. My opinion based on what I know would be to say no they aren't. 

I have only heard their hits, which I like a lot, though I would never think to consider them prog. But now you have made me curious to get to know some more from them.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 12 2024 at 22:48
Quite clearly not prog folk. I think if progressive pop was created on PA as another sub genre then they could be considered for that but generally those types of artists (10CC and The Beatles are the most obvious ones) are only under Prog Related or Proto Prog and so not part of the main forum.
Pedro wants to make the case that the 'English definition' is a lot of what is called progressive rock but then it's still widely accepted (even here) that the first full blown recognised prog album is King Crimson's debut. After that Yes, ELP and Genesis made it what it was. Take those away and this forum doesn't exist and we don't have this discussion. We could reasonably go back earlier to Zappa and The MOI or early Floyd but then I still don't see how the helps the argument that S&G should be in. We need to be careful about not just rewriting history. A lot of that goes on around here as it is!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 02:29
I love S&G (Paul Simon more), but I don't think they can fit in any prog or even related category. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 03:38

Hi,
One of the saddest things you've ever seen and read - is two pages on a forum that you haven' actually bothered to read. Because if you had, you would have noticed that everyone acknowledges their importance, respects them and in fact loves them dearly. Like myself - who can be added to the list of commenters that don't think their musical output has much in common with Prog Folk regardless.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 04:01
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Hi,
One of the saddest things you've ever seen and read - is two pages on a forum that you haven' actually bothered to read. Because if you had, you would have noticed that everyone acknowledges their importance, respects them and in fact loves them dearly. Like myself - who can be added to the list of commenters that don't think their musical output has much in common with Prog Folk regardless.

Hi,

I think you misinterpret the comment. Our house had all the S&G albums, and I am not sure there wasn't one of them I did not like.

What bothers me, is that we have a "definition" for various parts of what we consider "progressive", but we intentionally leave out some folks ... because they do not fit. 

I'm not sure about the idea that if we leave out KC, Yes, Genesis and JT that "progressive" would not exist ... I find that thinking ethnocentric and not quite fair to the rest of the world ... China is far bigger than the rest and they likely have a lot more music, for example, that transcends the definitions of "progressive" but they do not have the media that listens or discusses this at all ... otherwise, we likely would have the idea that England invented the world and the cups of tea ... to show us something else. 

The only thing I do not agree to, is the sense of "boundaries" in regards to England, or America, or in the next century China, that makes it look like the imperialistic world of 1000 years ago ... and then Portugal and Spain owned the world, and then the English Navy owned the world, then a few bands in England owned the world. It's become a false history since we now know and understand that there was a lot more that we were not aware at the time ... America had just as much "progressive" music, that we consistently ignore and do not appreciate, and the story of the "folk" music in America was huge in the 20th century here in America, although it has a lot less historical stories than England, or Ireland, for example ... and even Europe, where at the VERY LEAST there is an appreciation for the ART, and the ARTS, something that America has not respected much in its history at all ... something that finally hit the "big time" with movies, and then the media in America ... who (likely) was too big a place to have a "scene" ... and instead it ended up with 3 or 4 scenes (I joke north, south, east and west!!!) ... that a media could have discussed properly. 

S&G, when placed in a "staff" of the history of music in America in the 20th century, would be progressive, and much stronger than many other more conventional folk artists, whose voicings were their art, not the actual music that accompanied the words, and this finally hit the airwaves in America loud and clear when Bob Dylan went electric ... a perfect example that did not bother the English when it's music became more modernized ... which we accept as "progressive", but the relative same thing in America is not acceptable.

America had many bands that could/should have had the chance, but the problem is that there is East, West, Central, and South ... and we have not been able to come up with a DECENT history of them all and their value in order to present something that shows the progressive nature of all the arts and specially music. But we can take 4 or 5 bands in England and say they invented the world.

S&G probably deserve better ... if we take a serious look at history, instead of 5 bands!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 06:27
But does anyone have an idea what the deal with Paul Simon's chrome egg cup is?

-------------

Posted By: Valdez1
Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:07
I would have never thought that Simon & Garfunkel would be considered prog in any way shape or form. Singer songwriters / Folk / Pop / .   Loved by folkies and Classic Rock fans. I like them. But much like Dylan, Tom Rush or Joan Baez, I don’t believe they come close to progressive Rock. Great Music though! I have no idea what that object in his hand is?   Good eye.

Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 09:06
Simon has a fence knob.

I hardly think that we would be comparing to just five bands for inclusion in Prog Folk. With the English ones I'd sooner compare the case to say Pentangle or The Incredible String Band than Yes or early Jethro Tull (despite JT being included in Prog Folk). I love music by S&G and that should not affect whether I think the music is the kind of progressive folk that I would expect in PA even if it can be progressive in its own way. There is music from the US from the 60s included in Prog Folk (quite a bit in Psyche and other categories). Of course there are precedents to consider.... It's not like the US lacks much representation in PA for 60s to early 70s music.

Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 09:36

Simon has a fence knob.

If Simon had a fence knob
He'd be fencing in the morning
He'd be fencing in the evening
All over this land
It's a fence knob of danger
It's a fence knob of warning
It's a fence knob of love
Between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land.

Ummm...sorry. Was feeling a bit folky this morning. Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Valdez1
Date Posted: February 13 2024 at 09:52

Simon has a fence knob.

If Simon had a fence knob
He'd be fencing in the morning
He'd be fencing in the evening
All over this land
It's a fence knob of danger
It's a fence knob of warning
It's a fence knob of love
Between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land.

Ummm...sorry. Was feeling a bit folky this morning. Embarrassed

Cracked me up!!! LOL

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 05:37
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

I would have never thought that Simon & Garfunkel would be considered prog in any way shape or form. Singer songwriters / Folk / Pop / .   Loved by folkies and Classic Rock fans. I like them. But much like Dylan, Tom Rush or Joan Baez, I don’t believe they come close to progressive Rock. Great Music though! I have no idea what that object in his hand is?   Good eye.

I totally agree. I've never considered Simon & Garfunkel to be Prog Folk either. Their style of Folk Rock is far more orthodox, although their religion shouldn't even come into it. Tongue

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 15:50
Simon & Garfunkel are truly great, but I cannot link them to prog in any way.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk