Print Page | Close Window

Moody Blues reccomendations?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22142
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 11:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Moody Blues reccomendations?
Posted By: Rashikal
Subject: Moody Blues reccomendations?
Date Posted: April 21 2006 at 20:43
I listened to a sample on this site and thought it was beautiful, I love the strings. Im downloading "The Days of Future Passed" right now. I'm looking for more albums by them with a similar sound. thanks

Big smile

-------------

listen to Hella

Replies:
Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: April 21 2006 at 22:12
Sorry, but the Moodies never did capture the sound of Days of Future Passed again.  Search for the Lost Chord is good too, though.  

-------------

Posted By: Rashikal
Date Posted: April 21 2006 at 22:21
ok i will thanks :)

-------------

listen to Hella

Posted By: Syntharachnid
Date Posted: April 22 2006 at 00:36

"On the Threshold of a Dream" is my personal fave.  Obviously, the arrangements are more stripped down than on Days as there's no symphony orchestra.  However, there's better use of Melotron, some more sophistocated compositions (IMO), and even better spoken word parts from Mr. Edge.  Definately an album to check out. 

-------------

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: April 22 2006 at 02:37
The first seven albums(Days of Future Passed-Seventh Sojourn) are all worth getting IMHOBig smile 

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Asyte2c00
Date Posted: April 22 2006 at 17:15

I personally enjoy In search of a Lost Chord and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.  But definitely get the splendid seven albums.

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: April 24 2006 at 01:09
All the Moody Blues albums are great but my favorite one is "TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN.

To me this is their most spaciest and prog-like. What the hell, to me it is prog. Some of Mike Pinder's best Mellotron work is in this album. Also some of John Lodge's best bass playing and Justin Hayward's subtle guitar work.

In the middle of the album, there's an instrumental track, "Beyond" which is very proggy with lots of mellotron flutes and strings, which segues into a Pinder song, "Out and In." Both tracks are in a style to be heard much later in other bands like Genesis and Camel.

The album also features the classic "Gypsy." Two beautiful songs by Ray Thomas, "Floating & "Eternity Road." And a John Lodge song, "Candle Of Life."
I think of TOCCC sort of their "sleeper" album sometimes overshadowed by the other more popular ones, like "Days Of Future Passed" or "In Search Of The Last Chord." It certainly deserves or merits a second listening. My god, I keep forgetting this album came out in 1969!

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Posted By: eddietrooper
Date Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:48
My favourites are On The Threshold Of A Dream and A Question Of Balance, but I agree that all of their 7 first albums are worth the price.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: April 24 2006 at 16:01
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

All the Moody Blues albums are great but my favorite one is "TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN.

To me this is their most spaciest and prog-like. What the hell, to me it is prog. Some of Mike Pinder's best Mellotron work is in this album. Also some of John Lodge's best bass playing and Justin Hayward's subtle guitar work.

In the middle of the album, there's an instrumental track, "Beyond" which is very proggy with lots of mellotron flutes and strings, which segues into a Pinder song, "Out and In." Both tracks are in a style to be heard much later in other bands like Genesis and Camel.

The album also features the classic "Gypsy." Two beautiful songs by Ray Thomas, "Floating & "Eternity Road." And a John Lodge song, "Candle Of Life."
I think of TOCCC sort of their "sleeper" album sometimes overshadowed by the other more popular ones, like "Days Of Future Passed" or "In Search Of The Last Chord." It certainly deserves or merits a second listening. My god, I keep forgetting this album came out in 1969!

My favorite too.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 28 2006 at 05:35
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The first seven albums(Days of Future Passed-Seventh Sojourn) are all worth getting IMHO[IMG]height=17 alt="Big smile" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> 

Agreed. They're all good, but my current favourite is actually 'Seventh Sojourn' which is the last of the 'big seven' I dont think many will share this view. I just think it has more 'stand out' songs on it than the others, in terms of memorability and feeling. Mike Pinders Mellotron work is some of his best IMO. In fact he used a Chamberlain on this album, apparently; a more robust and reliable instrument which worked on the same principle.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: April 28 2006 at 15:25
I'd say the two best albums were 'In Search Of The Lost Chord', my personal favourite and one of my all time favourite albums, and 'On The Threshold Of A Dream', which is similarly superb. Tons of great mellotron workouts on both, with brilliant songwriting.

I've not heard 'Seventh Sojourn', but I had two of their later albums- 'Octave' and 'The Present'- which were HUGELY disappointing and underwhelming AOR albums.

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 09:21
try these...........

Octave 

..........you will not be disappointed!Thumbs Up

i think "octave" and "the present" are brilliant albums, and such fine sound quality.Clap

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: eddietrooper
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 09:35
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I'd say the two best albums were 'In Search Of The Lost Chord', my personal favourite and one of my all time favourite albums, and 'On The Threshold Of A Dream', which is similarly superb. Tons of great mellotron workouts on both, with brilliant songwriting.

I've not heard 'Seventh Sojourn', but I had two of their later albums- 'Octave' and 'The Present'- which were HUGELY disappointing and underwhelming AOR albums.

Seventh Sojourn is similar in style to the six first albums. Those 7 albums are pretty good, and with Octave they began to get worse.

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 17:23
Well, follow the general recomendation and listen to the other six albums before DOFP. From the last year to now I'm in a mood that favours the duo TOCCC and AQOB.
Octave is worth listening, but it's a very plain album compared with the magnificent seven. Their later work is just passable, with some high points and a lot of low disapponitments. Listen to the Hall of Fame - it's their best official live album, but unfortunally without the splendid Mike Pinder.

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 18:07
To Our Children's Children's Children, then Seventh Sojourn.  Everything through Seventh Sojourn is great, but those are my two favorites.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: Meddler
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 23:58
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

To Our Children's Children's Children, then Seventh Sojourn.  Everything through Seventh Sojourn is great, but those are my two favorites.

Just what he said. Seventh is an all time favorite. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Joolz
Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 07:21
Originally posted by moodyxadi moodyxadi wrote:

Listen to the Hall of Fame - it's their best official live album, but unfortunally without the splendid Mike Pinder.

IMO their best live album is the most recent - Lovely To See You .... Live From The Greek - some excellent performances and no orchestra, though sadly no Ray Thomas either. See my review here : http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=11586 - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=11586

Posted By: Bilek
Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 12:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The first seven albums(Days of Future Passed-Seventh Sojourn) are all worth getting IMHO[IMG]height=17 alt="Big smile" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> 

Agreed. They're all good, but my current favourite is actually 'Seventh Sojourn' which is the last of the 'big seven' I dont think many will share this view. I just think it has more 'stand out' songs on it than the others, in terms of memorability and feeling. Mike Pinders Mellotron work is some of his best IMO. In fact he used a Chamberlain on this album, apparently; a more robust and reliable instrument which worked on the same principle.

This is one of the few times I happen to agree with blacksword Wink... for some reason, Seventh Sojourn remained my MB fave for quite a long time... Maybe it's because the memorability and feeling, as blacksword suggested... and maybe it's because of "the spirit of times", i.e. year '72 when the concept of prog began to establish itself... I mean, look at the other albums released the same year! I just wish the MB survived one more year before going on a five year hiatus, because 1973 is definitely my favorite year in progSmile
speaking of which, their "apocryphal" albums are also gems along with the "magnificent seven", that is: the recording of a 1969 concert in the Royal Albert Hall with 5 demo recordings pre-DoFP, and a magnificent compilation "This is the Moody Blues". The latter also includes a non-album single (which is among my favorites) "A Simple Game"...
A beginner may also try a latter day compilation Greatest Hits (the one with the wihite cover with strange collages), which includes two superb orchestrated remakes "Question" and "Isn't Life Strange", along with already well-known hits like Nights in White Satin or Tuesday afternoon, and a couple of not-so-bad 80's material...

-------------
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk