Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3159
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 12:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Queen: Part II
Posted By: Rob The Good
Subject: Queen: Part II
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 04:59
I'm going to invite the wrath of many people by saying this, but through the induction of Radiohead into the archives we have hit a really low watershed. It seems now that a band can get it if it's a rock band that "progresses".

Therefore, at first I disagreed, but now I think it's time we gave Queen a second chance. A Night at the Opera was certainly progressive, and now that it has been proven that a band can get in by simply being progressive, then there's hope for them yet!

-------------
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.

Replies:
Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 05:18

Queen were a fusion of different genres, held together with camp pomposity and a quirky sense of humour..

They combined glam with jazz, pop, rock, blues and all manner of musical styles. They were a good band, for a while at least. About once every five years I'll dig out Queen II or Night at the opera, play them and smile. They were talented and innovative, and you have to admit that they were progressive and they were a rock band. Therefore logically they were a progressive rock band. They exhibited some prog cliches, even. The English eccentricty that came out of some of their songs (Lazing on a Sunday afternoon) for example, the occasional world music influences (Prophets song & Mustapha), the fantasy imagery (Ogre battle & Seven Seas of Rhye)

I would have difficulty arguing against them being in the archives. To be honset they are not among my favourite bands. They're a little too camp for me, and I HATE Brian Mays guitar sound, but if the consensus is that they are prog I wouldn't contest the decision.

I just wouldn't admit to my cool friends that Queen belong to my favourite genre. They already suspect and I have to keep trying to pursuade them otherwise..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 05:37
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Queen were a fusion of different genres, held together with camp pomposity and a quirky sense of humour..

Sounds like a good definition of early progressive rock........................ however, as I've said before, I believe it is daft to bring a band in, when the majority of a band's recording catalogue isn't prog. However, Maani & Co must seriously consider a section within the reviews, that allows for the bands with the odd prog album, e.g

Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry: Ceremony

Wishbone Ash: Argus and Pilgrimage

(and let the list commence  - with justifications for inclusion)

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 05:45
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Sounds like a good definition of early progressive rock........................ however, as I've said before, I believe it is daft to bring a band in, when the majority of a band's recording catalogue isn't prog. However, Maani & Co must seriously consider a section within the reviews, that allows for the bands with the odd prog album, e.g

Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry: Ceremony

Wishbone Ash: Argus and Pilgrimage

(and let the list commence  - with justifications for inclusion)

I agree. That sounds like the best compromise to me. A seperate section in the archives for artists with only some prog credentials. I would welcome that.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 19:20
Roxy Music have been deservedly added because they were at the forefront of the ART ROCK movement in the early 70s. Radiohead have been added because they apparently produce music that progresses. I shall not argue.

Queen, like you say, fused different styles and genres. They are certainly Art Rock, and progressive. I think they deserve a second look. There are bands such as Styx & Talk Talk that are in the archives, and the majority of their material isn't necessarily Prog.

-------------

Posted By: James Lee
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 19:39

LOL, Blacksword and I agree on many things...but this isn't one of them.

I LOVE Brian May's guitar sound!

And for about the same period that Genesis was releasing their truly prog albums, Queen was also quite arguable prog by nature. I challenge anyone to listen to their first three or four albums and not find prog rock elements in abundance! Queen II, especially, seems to me to be almost stereotypically 70s prog, with the fantasy imagery and extended narrative pieces.

Of course, some of their latter-day releases are laughable...but how many 70s artists (even the ones with much less taste-defying tendencies) aged well? Once the 80s set in, it was either go ridiculously big or go underground, and Queen was not a band that could have flourished as a cult favorite.

But as with any band (I won't name names- that's just asking for trouble), I don't really care if they're in the database or not.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sollipsist/?chartstyle=kaonashi">

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 19:47
It's surprising actually, how desperate people are to get their favourite bands into the archives. That's how this whole controversy started!

-------------

Posted By: Pety
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:13
I think it would be a good idea to give Queen a chance on this site. Their first five albums are definitely prog and are also popular and influential, and that should provoke some interesting debate in the review section...
songs like My Fairy King, March of the Black Queen, Prophet Song, Rhapsody, are prog rock gems and are easily accesible and they could motivate the listener to explore prog rock further.

and I LOVE Brian May's guitar sound and I love the way he plays as well-technically perfect melodic solos and fills, always with an idea, each note being just in the right place and played the right way:)

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:14
Welcome to Pety! I think you may be the first Slovakian on the forum.

-------------

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:18

QUEEN PART 2: Brian May Strikes Back

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:23
LOL, does that mean that Queen pt. 3 will be "Return of the Fredi"?

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:25
Thanks James Lee:)
It would be great for me to see a Slovak or a Czech band in the review section. I noticed a discussion called "East European prog" here and was glad to find out that a few people around here(not from post communist countries) know some of our prog bands.

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:31
Welcome Pety!
It's great having someone from Slovakia!
Unfortunately I'm quite ignorant of Eastern European music, but would you be able to suggest a place to start?

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:40
Thanks Rob!
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2914&P N=6

this was the discussion about Eastern European Prog, this should be a good place to start. Personally, my favourite Czech and Slovak prog artists are Dezo Ursiny, Fermata, M-Efekt, Prazsky Vyber and Flamengo. I'm unfortunately ignorant of the music scenes of other eastern european countries.

and this is the link to a discussion about Queen, I think it's worth reading:)
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2798&K W=queen

Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:46
Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out!

-------------

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 00:02

All:

Sorry.  We've been down this road before.  Although some or much of Night at the Opera and Day at the Races might legitimately be classified as "prog," this does not represent enough of the group's output to add them to the site.  And, no, although Sheer Heart Attack arguably had some "prog sensibilities," it is not "prog."  Nor, by any means, are their first two albums, despite attempts to classify them that way.  However, even if all five albums were prog, this is still not the majority, much less the vast majority, of their output.

Feel free to keep making your case.  But this one has been rejected a number of times, and a change in the webmasters' decision is highly unlikely.

Peace.

Posted By: penguindf12
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 00:04
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't care anymore who gets in and who doesn't, as long as this site doesn't shut down from all the stupid quibbling and no bands are deleted.

Posted By: starofsirius
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 00:06

I love Queen to death and yeah a lot of their stuff is quite prog, I just don't think they have enough to be on this site.

-------------
"I'm in a freefall like a snowflake falling down down down down down."

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 15:11

Why is Queen prog according to Garp.

1. Queen never repeated themselves, every album has a different aproach, this makes them difficult to catagorise, though on each album their distinct sound and style would catagorise them as Art-rock in my book

2. Their music has a strong sympho-sound to it (May's guitar, and Freddie's distinctive piano play)

3. The structure of their songs, it has a verse-chorus-verse build -up but the music changes througout the song. evolving and revolving to and from the initial structure.

4. they progressed through their album output, see next list.

Queen I; central musical angle: Led Zepp pastiche, with Gospelmusic influences

prog, semi-prog: My Fairy King, Greaty King Rat, Liar, Jesus, Seven Seas Of Rhye, Son & Daughter.

Queen II; central musical angle: prog-glitterrock, with numeral progsongs.

prog, semi-prog: The entire album is progressive, with a bombastic heavy sympho sound.

Sheer Heart-attack; central musical angle: mod/glitter/glamrock

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities, Brighton Rock, Now I'm Here, Lily Of The Valley, In The Lap Of The God's etc.

A Night At The Opera: central musical angle: rock with operatic tendencies.

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities. Bohemian Rapsody, The Prophet Song, Seaside rendez-vous, Love Of My Life.

A Day At The Races; central musical angle: rock with classical tendensies.

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities. You take my breath away, Teo Torriate, White Man, Somebody To Love, Good old Fashioned Loverboy, Drowse

News Of The World; central musical angle: Blues rock

prog, semi-prog: It's late, we are the champions, spread your wings, sleeping on the sidewalk.

Jazz; central musical angle. rock with remote Jazz influences

prog, semi-prog: not much, just a little prog in the structure of the songs.

the Game; central musical angle. rock and Roll

prog, semi-prog: not much, just a little prog in the structure of the songs.

Flash; central musical angle. space rock

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities. Flash, The Hero, Football Fight

Hot Space; central musical angle. R&B, dance

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities. Las Palabras De Amor, Back Chat, Staying Power, Life Is Real.

the Works; central musical angle. contemporary rock/rock and roll.

prog, semi-prog: most songs have progsensibilities, it's A Hard Life. Keep Passing The Open windows, radio GaGa, Machines.

A Kind Of magic; central musical angle: Heavy rock, with classical influences

prog, semi-prog: most songs have progsensibilities, One Vision, A Kind Of Magic, Who wants to live forever, Princes Of The Universe.

Miracle; central musical angle: Hard rock

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities. The Miracle, Invisible Man, Rain Must Fall, Was It All Worth It.

Innuendo; central musical angle: Heavy rock, with classical influences

prog, semi-prog: The entire album has progsensibilities. Innuendo, Bijou, The Show Must Go On, I'm Going Slightly Mad, Delilah.

Made In Heaven;  don't know the album well enough to comment. It's quite good though

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: JrKASperov
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 15:16
Would everyone stop trying to get popbands or classicrock bands in here?

I have an idea for this site: if there are big vague spots whether a band is prog, let's kick it out.

-------------
Epic.

Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 15:47
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

LOL, Blacksword and I agree on many things...but this isn't one of them.

I LOVE Brian May's guitar sound!

And for about the same period that Genesis was releasing their truly prog albums, Queen was also quite arguable prog by nature. I challenge anyone to listen to their first three or four albums and not find prog rock elements in abundance! Queen II, especially, seems to me to be almost stereotypically 70s prog, with the fantasy imagery and extended narrative pieces.

Of course, some of their latter-day releases are laughable...but how many 70s artists (even the ones with much less taste-defying tendencies) aged well? Once the 80s set in, it was either go ridiculously big or go underground, and Queen was not a band that could have flourished as a cult favorite.

But as with any band (I won't name names- that's just asking for trouble), I don't really care if they're in the database or not.

I would agree that Queen II is their most prog album. 'White Queen (as it began)' and 'March of the Black Queen' are two gems of prog IMO. I can take or leave most of their output, but I recognise them as being a very talented and eclectic band.

I dont care who ends up on the archives either, as long as it can be argued that there are progressive elements in their music. I think it important to diffrentiate between prog ROCK and progressive music generally. I regard artists like Aphex Twin as progressive, but would never expect him to appear in the archives, for one simple reason..he doesn't make ROCK music

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 16:52

Blacksword:

On a personal note (not officialy), I could not disagree more.  I have owned Queen's first six albums since day 1, and love them all.  And I have been a prog fanatic since 1968, and was "there" for the release of In the Court, and everything that followed in prog rock.

In this regard, I never, ever considered anything by Queen "prog" until certain elements on Sheer Heart Attack, and even those are spotty.  It was not until Night at the Opera that the band displayed anything that could legitimately be classified as "prog."

Queen I and Queen II are excellent rock albums with nice proto-prog touches.  Brian's guitar is certainly a "unique" touch, and the albums have some interesting not-quite-standard arrangements.  But they are not, by any means, prog.

Peace.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 17:12

Terrific band indeed, I had the pleasure of seeing them live a couple of times in the early 70's. There's no doubt they "progressed" rapidly with their early albums, explored astonishing new avenues, and gave more complex rock styles mass exposure and thus acceptability.

I agree with Maani though, I don't think they were ever a prog band. I suspect Freddie will be having a litle chuckle to himself right now at the thought.

Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 17:42

Well If Queen Isn't Prog, Then Kiss isn't Prog either,

neither can David Bowie, Elton John, 10CC, The Sweet, Mud, AC/DC, Gary Glitter, The Eagles, Chicago, The Golden Earring, and many more be considered prog.

However If Queen Is Prog, Then Kiss still isn't Prog,

But David Bowie, 10CC, and chicago, could be considered prog aswel.

And that's where the trouble begins.

I think the moderators have an (important) task of keeping this site as prog-orrientated as possible, At a certain point when all prog-bands are included there will be included the borderline cases, they then pave the way for bands with progsensibilities, once they are included there will be bands with faint similarities to those bands who will be included aswel, in the end all music will have found it's way to this site.

It seems to me that, as is currently the case, the moderators need to redefine progmusic. so those borderline cases won't get in, and they may find that they've included all bands that can be considered prog. THERE IS NO NEED TO EXPAND just for expanding, there is a point when you've covered it all.

As is suggested in earlier threads there may be room for an additional subgenre (populair-prog or alternative prog) but it isn't necesary. The format of this site is great, but with to many borderline cases I'm afraid we will lose the essence of this site.

Just a thought. Isn't it possible to create a page where all those borderline cases get a mention, without actualy including them in the archive, just a small summary, explanation why they aren't considered prog and a link to the bands homepage.  

-------------

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 20:41
we already havent styx on here! isnt that another for you people hehe

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 22:27

tuxon:

Will you marry me?

Actually, your post should be required reading for every member on the site, as it makes a few points that are vital to the continued integrity of the site, and the impossible job that I - and even moreso Max and Rony - have in trying to maintain that integrity.

I'm practically in tears with gratitude...

Peace.

Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 01:13

Maani,

Thanks for the approval,

But no I can't marry you, I'm sorry if that brakes your heart

-------------

Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 01:33
miscellaneous category for landmark, classics, and
semi classics that were produced during a bands
progressive era, removing the pop or overtly
experimental jazz from the already accepted artists.
And if lower mongolia had a prog band in 1856 that
no one ever heard of and those that did found it
rubbish dont put them on the site. However if ireland
had 10 bands that produced some sort of
progressive music only say Horslips and Fruupp
were of high ranking, give us Horslips and Fruupp
and dont worry about the smalz. If Twisted Angular
Fishermen made an album or career out of living off
Genesis or Yes-cloning dump um, only the best
Genesis, Yes clones for the kids. If a band cant
figure out if they want to be melodic or complex in
one song, shifting tempos 20 times in 5 minutes
and sounds like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King
Crimson, Gentle Giant, Rush and the Blue Magoos,
dump em! There stuck in childhood fantasies and
are not the brains you want to be feeding you if you
are to progress. You cant have it all in 5 minutes and
you dont really want it!

Quality not Quantity!!!

==============
keep on rockin in the free world

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 11:42
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

tuxon:

Will you marry me?

Maani, you two timer, I'll never trust you again! You promised.... (I've sold the ring you gave me!)LOL

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 11:54
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

tuxon:

Will you marry me?

Maani, you two timer, I'll never trust you again! You promised.... (I've sold the ring you gave me!)LOL

Shocked...One ring to find them all, and IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM!....

Uh oh -- looks like there's dirty work afoot....Ermm

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 15:25
Tuxon,
I really love Queen and I think their first five albums are brilliant and include many prog moments, but you say that the Invisible man is prog song? or Radio Gaga, Rain must fall, Delilah? are you serious?

Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 16:08

I was stretching the definition a little further each album

But still, listen to the mentioned songs'in the same order as i put them down and you'll see what I mean (I think)

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 16:14
ok, I'll try it

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 18:41
Queen were not a prog band EVER.Blatant goalpost moving!

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 05:09

Don't add Queen!

Fat Bottomed Girls...

Posted By: zappa123
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 10:34

Now even Queen appears here?Nothing against them but prog?

RADIO GA GA RADIO GU GU .....

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 11:26
Another argument and more fuel for this kind of thread to have it's own area.

That said, I bloody LOVE this album. Ogre Battle....scortchio!!

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: slipperman
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 11:30
Tuxon's compartmentalizing of their catalog was an excellent read, and yeah, I definitely consider them prog too. Seems to be the minority opinion tho'... 

-------------
...it is real...it is Rael...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk