Print Page | Close Window

The Doors

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32767
Printed Date: May 15 2024 at 12:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Doors
Posted By: Masque
Subject: The Doors
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:23
The Doors ...  Should they be here at Prog Archives or not  ? I raised this question awhile ago before they were here. I`m still not sure progs "door" should be opened so wide,  what do you think ?  Smile

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:27
Ehh I think its fine. A bunch of people wanted them in and why not make the majority happy? Plus there are definatly bands here that are worse choices than the Doors.

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:28
The Doors! ClapApprove

They're in Proto-Prog category however, not here.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:29
They're here as proto prog.... I don't like them but if we let in bands like Maiden and Zep, Doors gotta be here... and no, this isn't an 'if x is here so should be y' argument, it's a 'if x is here so should be w' case. IMO none of them belong here. Now we simply have to include Hendrix because he is both more progressive and tons more influential than Doors. Ermm

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: samhob
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:39
I think we should re-define prog .... If we don't we will soon see a lot of other "simply rock" band in here...

GREAT MUSIC isn't prog... great music is great music , prog is prog, (prog can be great, and great music can be non-prog)

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:41
Proto prog..The Doors. ? Personally, I don't see how, but the decision has been made. Doesn't mean we can't debate it though. Wow, I seem to be having an argument with myself here.Wacko

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:46
Since I joined Prog Archives in early 2004 I have said constantly that it is better to rename Prog Archives in Prog Music Archives because many bands on this site have nothing to do with rock but they make progressive music (like lots of electronic, space and avant-garde bands). I am glad that The Doors are added but of course Jimi Hendrix should also be here, if it was only because of his mindblowing 2-LP Electric Ladyland Clap And today I watched Classic Albums with The Who and their album Who's Next, way more progressive than Iron Maiden, Osibisa, Magnum, Triumph, etc....

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:46
Indeed, we would expect a full debate!Wink

Bear in mind that they have been added as proto prog (so the thread has been moved to that section) which means they are not classified as prog as such.

Posted By: Masque
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:52
I think that moving this thread is just a diversion , a smoke screen  ... but this same thread will be posted by others  you will see Wink     I mean all over the home page people are submitting reviews of The Doors CD`s  so it is OK  for that to happen yet we wouldn`t want to confuse Th Doors with Bona fide  Prog that this topic was first posted in  ? seems to be a contradiction ... how can we use this site as a vehicle to promote itself and prog using such artists as the doors then turn around and say oh their not really prog only prog related ?     I`m not that desperate to add more quantity I`d prefer high quality   .. don`t get me wrong I enjoy the Doors they are one of the better radio friendly bands around,  but I can`t accept whats happening here calling the Doors a prog archive band is simply a cheap ploy    ... are we really that desperate for artsists  ? Smile

-------------

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:52
I dont know. Honestly it is difficult to establish if The Doors is or no Prog or Proto Prog or only a big band of transition between the 60's and the 70's... We haven't a countercheck because Jim is dead too much soon. Certainly the same doubt I have it for the Tyrannosaurus Rex/ T. Rex, certainly Prog but that, in a mine old poll, are not considered Prog for the people of PA. Today also a Rock band that has a lot of keyboards (I think to the Italian band Epica, for example) cautious comes Prog Metal or Neo Prog. In the 70's the Led Zeppelin or David Bowie were Prog and, sincerely, was it Manfred Mann in the 60's. On The Doors I have a lot doubtful (legitimate) but their flu is, still today, present in a lot of Prog bands.

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:53
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Indeed, we would expect a full debate!Wink

Bear in mind that they have been added as proto prog (so the thread has been moved to that section) which means they are not classified as prog as such.

But is not Proto Prog a prog of sorts? A kind of Prog in embryo maybe?

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:53
The Doors?  Oh no, The End is nigh... yet another sign of the Apocalypse... Now, now,  I have no problem with The Doors at this site as long as the band is not in a "true" Prog category.  I hope Cream comes soon.

Let's face it, the Doors were opened long ago, and once opened they cannot be shut (save shutting down the site).  I'm happy to see the band here because I think the band's music is very likely to appeal to the ears of many a Proghead, or potential Proghead.

Before I recognised myself as a boner fide Proghead, I was enjoying music by bands such as The Who, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Cream, and The Doors, and I think they all have a place here as progressive non-Prog rock bands.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by samhob samhob wrote:

I think we should re-define prog .... If we don't we will soon see a lot of other "simply rock" band in here...

GREAT MUSIC isn't prog... great music is great music , prog is prog, (prog can be great, and great music can be non-prog)

I've just had some major déja vu... have you said this before in another thread?

Ansen: I think you'll find The Doors are pretty influential, perhaps more so than Hendrix. Wink  You've also only heard on Doors album, so you cannot really say you dislike them.  By the way, Hendrix and Jim Morrison were friends of each other (not that has anything to do with it).

Mandrakeroot: have you got a new translator? Wink

-------------

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:57
I've heard the debut and Greatest Hits too. I highly doubt that they were more influential

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 17:59
Masque, see the forum guidliens on where to place threads.Wink

Snowy, not really. The site definition is:

Proto-Prog definition

Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.

Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:00
They are.  I know more people who prefer The Doors over Hendrix.  They're more accessible and didn't have out-of-tune guitar solos that went on for ages (I know that's not what Hendrix is about, I'm just saying that, because many people think that's what Hendrix is about).

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:03
I heard their Strange Days album a few years back. Not prog in any shape or form to me. They might been influetial to some bands, but honestly; is that reason enough to let them be included on a prog-rock site?

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:04
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Snowy, not really. The site definition is:

Proto-Prog definition

Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.

Ok, so The Doors were moving in a stream that eventually lead to prog. Well, I'm not sure they were.

-------------

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:04
GeckO, where did you get the information that Morrison and Hendrix were friends? I am very curious to that because Jim had no friends Wink Once he joined Jimi on stage very drunk and faked fellatio with him between his legs, before he had also been very rude towards Janis Joplin and David Crosby, only determined to get in conflict with them, he was a notorious troublemaker and I cannot imagine that the very friendly Jimi was on speaking terms with the sociopatic Jim ... Wacko

Snow Dog, please concentrate on this: "Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not." In  my opinion The Doors was a band that sounded embryonal progressive but not in the way as The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, The Nice and King Crimson were. Personally I woudl rather categorise The Doors as 'eclectic rock' but that's not available at Prog Archives. By the way, excellent ironical sheepish alternative LOL !

Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:11
Ah, well I presumed that because he appeared on stage and sang "Fire" they'd be friends.  I guess they weren't, but we don't know really, as both are unfortunately not around.

-------------

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:15
Proto-Prog is suitable for the Doors, an excellent group, Their early Prog/Psych can be found more on the LPs in my view rather than the compilations.

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Snow Dog, please concentrate on this: "Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not." In  my opinion The Doors was a band that sounded embryonal progressive but not in the way as The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, The Nice and King Crimson were.

Exactly, your opinion, but in my opinion it is not so. Its like divergent evolution, The Doors went on to influence...um...other bands,Embarrassed OK, you got. The Doors music just doesn't sound right to me.

Personally I woudl rather categorise The Doors as 'eclectic rock' but that's not available at Prog Archives. By the way, excellent ironical sheepish alternative LOL !Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: samhob
Date Posted: January 01 2007 at 18:22
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Originally posted by samhob samhob wrote:

I've just had some major déja vu... have you said this before in another thread?

Yes, i'm just expressing my opinions :)

Posted By: one hand clap
Date Posted: January 02 2007 at 01:04
You know who should be here rather than the Doors? David Bowie

Nuff said

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: January 04 2007 at 03:54
Shocked 

Another shocking addition to the site. I see that Queen and The Beatles are in the top 100 now. I expect that most bands will make it onto Prog Archives sooner or later.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: akin
Date Posted: January 04 2007 at 19:58
Time to add The Stranglers as prog related.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: January 09 2007 at 17:44
I dont know if the Doors should be really here, I cant hear any prog influenced by the Doors...but maybe there are, I dont know...
What I do know is that I cant stand them!Confused

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: January 09 2007 at 18:02
^^ I like The Doors, but don't think belong here. But here they are, and I accept that.

-------------

Posted By: S Lang
Date Posted: January 10 2007 at 03:29
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

. Now we simply have to include Hendrix because he is both more progressive and tons more influential than Doors. Ermm

Well said and never too soon...

Besides, I don't care much for the Doors, but they do have a place here.

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 13:31
The Doors fit as much as the rest of the proto-prog, as much as the Airplane and HP Lovecraft, but god how I hate those darn Doors... and I don't usually react that viscerally to music I don't like. I prefer the "takes all kinds to make a world" approach.

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 12:49
I think they are a great addition to proto prog genre!

If the genre itself (along with related) are seen as a bad thing, then it brings another aspect. Maybe the reated and proto reviews + other stuff related to them shouldn't be on the front page, not sure about it though? But they are definitely proto prog!

Posted By: bluetailfly
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 12:53
Granted that a lot of the Doors material is blues-based straight-on rock, there are certain Doors pieces that are avant garde art rock extrordinaire, especaially in its time: The End, Unknown Soldier, Light My Fire, When the Music's Over, the entire Soft Parade lp, Rider's on the Storm, to name a few.... The Doors belong here, no doubt in my mind.

-------------
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk