Print Page | Close Window

Top 100-Related

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33697
Printed Date: May 28 2024 at 18:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 100-Related
Posted By: Kotro
Subject: Top 100-Related
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:03
Ok, we are all familiar with the argument "oh, prog-related doesn't mean progressive rock, it's just influences and minor details and such". Ok, most of us agree to this point. The entire section is filled up with bands that we are either totaly convinced they are prog, or completly unconvinced as to their single mention in a Progressive Rock database.

On my behalf, I can say that I agree with the "genre" and most of its acts. However, seeing, as stated above, that "prog-related doesn't mean progressive rock", then why, regardless of their value as music pieces, do we have Prog-Related albums in the Top 100/250/500? In my view, only strictly progressive rock album ratings should be accounted for the rankings, which do more than indulge our Prog rivalries - they are a source of information and recomendation to outsiders. Sure, there are no PR albums in the first 40, but we can find several starting from nº 41 on, starting with Deep Purple's "Made in Japan".

What are your thoughts on this? We can all agree that there are PR albums we might enjoy more than full-blown classic Prog-Albums. But should they count in a list that clearly states in its title "TOP 100 Progressive Music Albums"?

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Replies:
Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:13
i won't call proto prog and prog related as a genre, it's more like a term that used in this site to point out why those bands are here regardless they aren't prog bands.

maybe it's a good idea to separate them into different top 100 list

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:24
Thank you for your well thought out, constructive post on a thorny subject, which far too often is dealt with in a gut-reaction manner. However, since I've been posting on PA I've read endless debates about that, but to all intents and purposes never really seen any suggestions as to how to go about it - starting from the problem of ratings.

Anyway, I agree that finding an album like "Made in Japan" (which of course I love to bits) in the Prog Top 100 may be puzzling, not to say misleading. I also think that people here, especially Collabs, instead of screaming to high heaven every time they see a PP or PR album in the Top 100, should be more proactive and actually start PROPOSING alternative ways to solve this not inconsiderable problem (just look at the number of dedicated threads springing up every week).

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:28
I think it would be a wonderful move to have two TOP lists, other for prog and other for Proto / Related. Even the discussion zones are separated, then why not the lists? Would it be technically challenging?

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:31
I had a feeling that people should be rating albums on their prog content rather than their overall quality. I think Iron Maiden's Powerslave is one of the great albums of our times but I'm not going to give it a five because I'm not convinced anything progressive happens until the last track.

it puzzles me that people are actually allowed to give the five star rating to prog-related bands at all.

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:44
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

it puzzles me that people are actually allowed to give the five star rating to prog-related bands at all.

Clap

I share this opinion. I don't really see how a band that isn't Prog could be essential to Prog collection.

The simplest way around this problem would be to rename the five star rating, so that it will be something like "very, very good" instead of "essential".

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:55
I agree and have said this before - prog-related bands should not be in the top 100.

Posted By: Joolz
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 09:56
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

I share this opinion. I don't really see how a band that isn't Prog could be essential to Prog collection.

The simplest way around this problem would be to rename the five star rating, so that it will be something like "very, very good" instead of "essential".

Nothing wrong with the 5 star definition, but too many people are giving 5 stars to non-Prog albums, in some case saying the equivalent of "well, its not Prog, but I love it to bits so I'm giving it 5" ... quite wrong IMO

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:02
So is there a way that a separate list of just proto/related bands could be on? We need help from people like MikeEnRegalia to figure out an algorithm if it is possible to do. 

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:04
make a different list is the best sollution to end all the dispute over all these PP and PR matters IMO

hopefully...

-------------

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:06
I dont think it's an impending necessity but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the proto/related albums off the top 100

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:09
Should prog-related and proto-prog albums be rated by how good they are, or by their progressiveness and significance to prog? I think albums like Revolver and Strange Days are worth five star, but not really "masterpieces of progressive music". Confused

Posted By: Joolz
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:12
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Should prog-related and proto-prog albums be rated by how good they are, or by their progressiveness and significance to prog? I think albums like Revolver and Strange Days are worth five star, but not really "masterpieces of progressive music". Confused

Well, they can't be 5 stars then Confused On a general rock music site you would be quite at liberty to give them 5 stars [depending on any definition of course!]

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:14
so they stuck to 4 stars regardless how briliant they are ?

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:15
I wish people would do something about it instead of just sitting here and grumbling about how PR and PP are in the top 100. Not that you aren't just sitting there but "Let's See Action" (a song by The Who).

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:24
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Clap

Exactly.... Personally, I think reviewers should allowed to give five stars to albums like, say, "Made in Japan", "Abbey Road", or "A Night at the Opera", which are not prog but masterpieces all the same, as well as influential in many respects. However, it is absolutely true that calling them masterpieces of prog is highly misleading. I remember someone in the past suggesting such a definition as 'a masterpiece of rock music', or even just 'a classic'.

I have a request for all of you, though... Why don't you come up with a proposal of how to implement a different rating system for PP/PR albums, so that we Admins can submit it to the owners? Talking about things is all very good, but sometimes we should adopt a more pragmatic approach.

PS: Progismylife, you took the words out of my mouth (or rather keyboardLOL)...Clap

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:27
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I have a request for all of you, though... Why don't you come up with a proposal of how to implement a different rating system for PP/PR albums, so that we Admins can submit it to the owners? Talking about things is all very good, but sometimes we should adopt a more pragmatic approach.

Clap

I was trying to say that in my last post on here. I do not know (unfortunately) how to do this but I'm sure if we get people who can work with such things (like MikeEnRegailia) then it could happen. Maybe a thread in the Tech Talk section asking about how to do this?

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:34
No, not Tech Talk, that's for things like stereos, CD players and such.. Help Improve the Site is the place to do it.

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:36
Well somebody should make a thread about how to do that sort of thing. It is a way to actually see some "progress" on this site. 

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:41
OK, I'll open it and see what comes out of it... You all, though, try to be propositive and don't expect we Admins to do all the work!Wink

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:43
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

OK, I'll open it and see what comes out of it... You all, though, try to be propositive and don't expect we Admins to do all the work!Wink

It seems kazansky beat you to making a thread in the Improvements section.

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:44
yeah !

-------------

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:13
Originally posted by kazansky kazansky wrote:

i won't call proto prog and prog related as a genre, it's more like a term that used in this site to point out why those bands are here regardless they aren't prog bands.

maybe it's a good idea to separate them into different top 100 list

Many people, including myself, agree that there isn't a "Prog Related" genre. However, in this site it gets the same treatment: it is up there in the frontpage along with Canterbury, Italian, Symphonic, &c. It has its own page like the other well defined genres, a "20-best" just like the rest, and from there arises the confusion.

It's not as simple as creating a separate rating list. It is more about creating a separate rating SYSTEM. Another source of greater confusion is the above-mentioned problem of the use of a formulaic rating system. While I believe a non-prog album CAN be an excellent adition to a Prog collection (just recently did it to Blackfield), it should be impossible for all to consider them "masterpieces" of a genre they don't belong to. But if a "prog-related" album reecks perfection in someone's view, like "Argus" does in my eyes, it's hard for you to rate it lower than you think it deserves. 

And now a story:

When I arrived at these Archives and Forum, a couple of years ago (when Art Rock was taking in most of current PR bands and there was even a "genre" called Progressive POP) I wondered if bands like Purple and Queen could be added in a special page of "honorary mentions" (mentions consisting more of albums, rather than bands) - which would be a lot diferent than the current status. Yet another problem with Prog-Related is the freedom of adition. I was one of many who pushed for Queen and Deep Purple to be added to the Archives, but only because of their first albums.

The problem lies in the completionists (which have their undeniable value) that add to the band's discography with a series of non-prog records. For instance, it is still my opinion that only the first four Deep Purple albums should be listed; an example of correct non-completionism is my own compatriot José Cid, who has a long recording career but has only two albums listed (I suppose the reason for this lies in the fact that not many completionists observe his case; and the one who, like me, notice the lack of albums, do nothing to complete it because they know they don't belong to this site).

I firmly believe that, in theory, the above-exposed solution of a separate page and rating system for "honorary mentions" could do the trick of adding to the info in the Archives, serve as recomendation, but not get entwined in the web of "real" (if one can consider it that way) Progressive Rock. But, like I say, it's all theory, I have absolutely no idea of the feasability of this "project". We could use some expert feedback on that.   

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: MadcapLaughs84
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:18
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

And now a story:

When I arrived at these Archives and Forum, a couple of years ago (when Art Rock was taking in most of current PR bands and there was even a "genre" called Progressive POP) I wondered if bands like Purple and Queen could be added in a special page of "honorary mentions" (mentions consisting more of albums, rather than bands) - which would be a lot diferent than the current status. Yet another problem with Prog-Related is the freedom of adition. I was one of many who pushed for Queen and Deep Purple to be added to the Archives, but only because of their first albums.

I agree with that idea, some of the bands as Prog Related and Proto-Prog just have 2 or 3 influential albums. That would be great and it would bring more credibility to the site.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:19
that wasn't me who wrote that part, you quote the wrong person

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:20
LOL, sorry

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:21
Kotro touches on an important aspect here. Some bands are classified as prog-related because the majority of their output is not prog. They have however made one or more prog albums. Deep Purple and Wishbone Ash are two such bands which come to mind.

By excluding prog related bands from the chart, you potentially exclude prog albums.

Mike has long advocated classifying individual albums, and that is something mailto:M@x - M@x has as one of his intentions for the site.

As far as 5 star ratings are concerned, if an album is not prog, it should not be rated as a "Masterpiece of prog". But as they say, you can lead a horse to water.....

Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:26
Easy Livin made an excellent appointment here. If the album is not prog at all, you can't gve them a 5 stars rating.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk