Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33782
Printed Date: June 07 2024 at 04:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Underrated drummers
Posted By: markosherrera
Subject: Underrated drummers
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:26

Ok this is my last list of drummers ,now my brain is dry,..please choice and give your interesant opinions,thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:31
CHRIS FREAKIN MAITLAND!

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:31
Guy Evans of VdGG. Severely underrated.

Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:32
Ginger Baker is in no way underrated. Best drummer on the planet though.

-------------

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:42
My favourite drummer from the list is Peter Erskine, but that's collateral. I think that from those listed, Nick Mason receives the least credit from the overall appreciation of the band compared to the others I know from the list.

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:45
I voted for Jon Hiseman from the list - top drawer, very jazzy player.  I suppose he's not so widely rated because he's usually playing in the kind of jazz-rock context which doesn't tend to fill stadiums.

I think Bernard Purdie is rather underrated as well, probably because he's mostly a session player - check out his playing on Steely Dan's The Royal Scam, superb.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 15:48
I don't think Hiseman, Baker or Erskine are underrated; they are widely regarded as excellent drummers. my vote goes to Stewart Copeland.
if he were on the list, my vote would go to Mani Neumeier of Guru Guru though. he should be listed in every drum poll that is worth its salt. and he is so underrated he doesn't even make it onto this list. or perhaps he is just too little known, in which case I highly recommend to listen to the 2 tracks of Guru Guru in the database, especially "God's Endless Love for Men"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 16:29
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I voted for Jon Hiseman from the list - top drawer, very jazzy player.  I suppose he's not so widely rated because he's usually playing in the kind of jazz-rock context which doesn't tend to fill stadiums.

I think Bernard Purdie is rather underrated as well, probably because he's mostly a session player - check out his playing on Steely Dan's The Royal Scam, superb.
I'll second that Bernard Purdie.  I saw him on tour with Cat Stevens mid 70s, he was excellent.  Check him out on Cat Stevens' "Foreigner" album.  I'd also like to submit a few others as under-rated drummers.   Alphonse Mouzon (Larry Coryell's Eleventh House).  Chester Thompson (Weather Report, Genesis) and IMO the most overlooked drummer Ernest "Boom" Carter, I referred to him on this board as the best drummer you've never heard of.  He played reguarly in the 70s with David Sancious and Tone.  His most noticeable recording was as the drummer on Bruce Springsteen's "Born To Run".  His best studio recording was on David Sancious and Tone -  "True Stories".

True Stories

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 18:49
Stewart Copeland- he's the only talented member of the Police and the only reason I listen to them. I like his work with Les in Oysterhead.

Others:
Tommy Aldridge- unsung metal drummer who influenced drum kings like Dave Lombardo
Nick Mason- least praised member of the band, he lays down some inventive performances

Ginger Baker isn't really underrated. He appears on most lists of top drummers.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 23:32
Myself, of course

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 28 2007 at 23:35
from the list, Jon Hiseman

Virgil Donati is under-recognized if not underrated.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 31 2007 at 18:27
You rarely if ever hear anything mentioned about the Mahavishnu Orchestra's second drummer (replacement for Billy Cobham), Narada Michael Walden.  Currently an extremely successful producer this guy was a monster on drums.  I remember going to see the reformed Mahavishnu Orchestra in Central Park right after the release of "Apocalypse".  The anticipation was whether or not this guy repalcing Billy Cobham was any good or not.  Within the first minute you knew he was.

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: January 31 2007 at 18:28
Klaus Dinger, Chris Slade and Csaba Beke

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: Witchwoodhermit
Date Posted: January 31 2007 at 19:54
Mick Fleetwood.
Soap opera band aside, one bloody good dummer.

-------------
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: January 31 2007 at 19:59
Jon Christensen....

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 01 2007 at 04:14
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I don't think Hiseman, Baker or Erskine are underrated; they are widely regarded as excellent drummers. my vote goes to Stewart Copeland.
if he were on the list, my vote would go to Mani Neumeier of Guru Guru though. he should be listed in every drum poll that is worth its salt. and he is so underrated he doesn't even make it onto this list. or perhaps he is just too little known, in which case I highly recommend to listen to the 2 tracks of Guru Guru in the database, especially "God's Endless Love for Men"

You're right that all three are not under-rated but they are generally less-cited than others

Fully agree with Neumeier, though. He's awesome

From the list above I went for Ainsley Dunbar. His work with Zappa (he's the unsung hero in the Grand Wazoo album) and the early Journey is outstanding . Never understood how he never got bigger.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: February 02 2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

I second Dinger.  He was very consistant, and I love his fills.

But my favorite underrated drummer is Can's Jaki Liebezeit.  The "Human Metronome," he played some of the most fluid grooves ever heard.  Also, on Hallelewah he plays my personal favorite drum solo ever.  F***ing incredible!

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: February 03 2007 at 05:49
I would go for (and recommend) two Swedish favourites, who are much underrated:
Anders Johansson, who I believe has taken heavy rock drumming to a quite an art and some surprising sublety, and then looked to broaden his palette by including world influences, check out Red Shift (Heptagon Records) for this, also check out Jonas Hellborg Group's e - heavy Hammond organ lead jazz rock (predating Niacin by half a decade), and The Shining Path's No Other World for metal with precision, the latter two albums are difficult to find but are on DEM Records.

Morgan Agren, best known for his work with the Matts Morgan Band (Thanks For Flying With Us and Live are strongly recommended, Cuneiform and UAE Records respectively), but quite a long history of solo work, e.g.a rather good DVD issued in last 18 months.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 03 2007 at 06:07
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

I second Dinger.  He was very consistant, and I love his fills.

But my favorite underrated drummer is Can's Jaki Liebezeit.  The "Human Metronome," he played some of the most fluid grooves ever heard.  Also, on Hallelewah he plays my personal favorite drum solo ever.  F***ing incredible!

I saw Liebezeit live with the Phantom Band once (they gave a concert at my school) and was very disappointed. Yes, the man was a living metronome, but that was all. A metronome might have taken his place. Totally uninspired performance, in my opinion. Strangely the few people I talked with about him praised his performance. But then it was the time when drum machines were very en vogue, and it was considered to be cool to play like one. Dead

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: February 03 2007 at 06:24
I bet Liebezeit would have been a fantastic experience in the 70's with Can, though. I think he's hypnotic sound is unique and so much more than a metronome. But he's really not that underrated.

I think Embryo's Christian Burchard is.

and Giulio Capiozzo from Area

Billy Hart (Herbie Hancock, Pharoah Sanders..) never gets mentioned among the greatest jazzdrummers, does he?

Nothing wrong with anyone on the list, but i don't feel any urge to vote for any of them.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: February 03 2007 at 07:10
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I bet Liebezeit would have been a fantastic experience in the 70's with Can, though. I think he's hypnotic sound is unique and so much more than a metronome. But he's really not that underrated.

I think Embryo's Christian Burchard is.

and Giulio Capiozzo from Area

Billy Hart (Herbie Hancock, Pharoah Sanders..) never gets mentioned among the greatest jazzdrummers, does he?

Nothing wrong with anyone on the list, but i don't feel any urge to vote for any of them.

Burchard is definitely underrated. He is in my personal top 5 list.

-------------

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: February 04 2007 at 01:41
Undoubtedly, it's Richie Hayward of Little Feat. The man has such a unique style and his sense of rhythm is impeccable. I love his feel for the kit and the way he works the toms and the splash cymbals.

E

-------------

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: February 04 2007 at 01:42

Nice call on Bernard Purdie. Such a smooth style. I love that shuffle groove on "Babylon Sisters".

E

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2007 at 12:40
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I would not have rated him that highly based on the recorded performances of his that I've heard (not so many).  But I saw him play live in NY a couple of years ago and he was really superb, with a very inventive and 'painterly' approach to the durms (if that makes any sense). 

Also he is one of those drummers who is just great to watch because of the play of expressions on his face as he works the kit..  I don't think anyone in the audience was watching the other guys in the band even when they were taking their solos...

Date Posted: February 04 2007 at 16:30
To pick up the name Christian Burchard again. He was a student of  T. S. Mani, a name that should ring a bell for anyone who claims to know sonething about percussion. He is the leader of the Karnataka College of Percussion. Other students of him are Trilok Gurtu and Ramesh Shotam, both percussionists of the highest order.

-------------

Posted By: Jack-a-lynn
Date Posted: February 07 2007 at 12:27

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Carter Beauford (of DMB)... he's in the wrong band.

My FAVORITE drummers...

Mickey Hart

Ginger Baker

Jon Fishman

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: February 07 2007 at 12:31
Red hot chilli peppers Drummer!
He's got that funky groove Cool

Date Posted: February 07 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Anybody in the Chili Peppers is NOT underrated.  They might just be the most overrated band ever, with the possible exception of Green Day.

-------------

Posted By: Arrrghus
Date Posted: February 07 2007 at 21:35

Anybody in the Chili Peppers is NOT underrated.  They might just be the most overrated band ever, with the possible exception of Green Day.

Hmmm... someone here doesn't play an instrument!

The musicians in RHCP are astounding! Flea is one of the best bassists ever, Frusciante is VERY capable of pulling off a Satch-like solo, and the drummer possesses the ability to create an infectious groove. I don't own any albums of theirs, but I've heard a lot of their material and respect them. The fact that a band doesn't make innovative music and is popular doesn't make their music bad or overrated.

-------------

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: February 07 2007 at 21:38
Originally posted by Arrrghus Arrrghus wrote:

Hmmm... someone here doesn't play an instrument!

The musicians in RHCP are astounding! Flea is one of the best bassists ever, Frusciante is VERY capable of pulling off a Satch-like solo, and the drummer possesses the ability to create an infectious groove. I don't own any albums of theirs, but I've heard a lot of their material and respect them. The fact that a band doesn't make innovative music and is popular doesn't make their music bad or overrated.

And in their early days they did make some pretty innovative music.

-------------

Posted By: Jack-a-lynn
Date Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:45

Clap

WERD!

-------------
"from the moment i could talk, i was ordered to listen." -cat stevens

Date Posted: February 08 2007 at 21:31
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Nice call on Bernard Purdie. Such a smooth style. I love that shuffle groove on "Babylon Sisters".

E

Of related interest, I just found a great article covering the drummers on all of Steely Dan's albums:

http://www.granatino.com/sdresource/md1.htm - http://www.granatino.com/sdresource/md1.htm

Very interesting reading (even though a lot of it is recycled from Brian Sweet's book Reelin' In The Years).

EDIT:  I've done the author of the article (Ken Micaleff) an injustice, his piece came out before the Brian Sweet book.  I think the recycling is on the other foot!

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Freak
Date Posted: February 09 2007 at 16:36
Even though he's not really underrated, I had to vote for Ginger Baker. He's the only drummer that rivaled Keith Moon in skill and energy.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2007 at 16:43
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

Even though he's not really underrated, I had to vote for Ginger Baker. He's the only drummer that rivaled Keith Moon in skill and energy.

Skill yes, but nobody ever rivaled Moon's energy. Baker is the better drummer othe two though.

-------------

Posted By: Chus
Date Posted: February 09 2007 at 19:09
Have to go for La Barbera.. (underrated by us anyway)

-------------
Jesus Gabriel

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 09 2007 at 19:16
hahahha.. who the hell voted for Nick Mason...

for me..

Tommy Aldridge

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 20:03
Charly Antolini

Posted By: scaife
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 12:34
My personal choice in this matter would be Brian Davison, who played in The Nice ( Emerson's pre-ELP band) as well as Refugee ( before Pat Moraz joined Yes).
If you can find Refugee's self-titled album, you'll hear what I mean.  The man was a monster behind his small kit...so fluid.

Posted By: tdbark
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 14:42
Aynsley Dunbar.  List of artists who tapped his talent:

Zappa (Uncle Meat, Chunga's Revenge, Fillmore East 1971, 200 Motels, Waka/Jawaka... etc)
Bowie (Pin Ups and Diamond Dogs [One of Bowie's best albums])
Jeff Beck (Tallyman & Rock My Plimsoul)
Donovan (Barabajagal)
John Lennon (Sometime in New York City)
Lou Reed
Journey
Whitesnake
Nils Lofgren
Sammy Hagar
Jefferson Starship
Keith Emerson

-------------
Twenty men crossing a bridge into a village,
are twenty men
crossing twenty bridges
into twenty villages.

Wallace Stevens

Posted By: Drachen Theaker
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 18:26
Originally posted by tdbark tdbark wrote:

Aynsley Dunbar. 

ClapGood choice. There's a track  he's on by Keith West of Tomorrow called On A Saturday (which also features Steve Howe on acoustic guitar). Dunbar's drumming on it is thunderous and amazing.

-------------
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 19:37
I wouldn't call Dunbar underrated though. who underrates him?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Drachen Theaker
Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 03:27
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I wouldn't call Dunbar underrated though. who underrates him?

You're probably right about underrated given the musicians he's played with.

Maybe 'unfairly overlooked' then - haven't seen him mentioned that often around here.

-------------
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt

Posted By: coleio
Date Posted: March 30 2007 at 13:34
Okay, he isn't on the list but I'm going to vote for Brann Dailor from Mastodon, his drumming is so jazzy and complex it's brilliant, really makes Mastodon even more listenable, which is saying something in my opinion.

-------------
Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!

Date Posted: March 30 2007 at 13:45
Just found myself a copy of Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation's  Remains to be Heard, because of this poll acting as a reminder. And having not heard the album at all since its relaese 37 years  ago(?),  I have to say I don't think I missed anything - as a comparison relevant to the time of original release, Keef Hartley is far more interesting drummer and band leader.

-------------
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: superprog
Date Posted: March 31 2007 at 12:00
John McEntire - Tortoise, Sea & Cake etc
Jarle Vestepad - Supersilent
Martin Hornveth - Jaga Jazzist
Lee Harris - Talk Talk

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:46
I'm pretty sure most of those names are pretty big.  Ian Paice is under-rated.

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:55
Gavin Harrison- Porcupine Tree

I rarely see any discussion of him being considered amognst the best. His beats are INCREDIBLE.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Serpent
Date Posted: April 02 2007 at 15:46
I am not sure how underrated he is, but Ginger Baker is one of my favourite all time drummers.

Date Posted: April 02 2007 at 17:51
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Gavin Harrison- Porcupine Tree

I rarely see any discussion of him being considered amognst the best. His beats are INCREDIBLE.

You must have missed the long discussion about Gavin  when Jakko Jakszyk guested on my radio show at the end of January. (Hastings is playing on many of the tracks of Jakko's album The Bruised Romantic Glee Club). One of the show's discussion group e.mailed in wrt the Nolan Sisters - with who Gavin was well acquainted, wrt to being their drummer and .........the revelations came out wrt him being more than just well "acquainted"EmbarrassedCensored

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: April 03 2007 at 22:50
How about Chris Cutler?  His work is incredible with Cow, the Art Bears, some Residents stuff, Aksak Maboul, etc.  

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2007 at 22:51

How about Chris Cutler?  His work is incredible with Cow, the Art Bears, some Residents stuff, Aksak Maboul, etc.  

Seconded and thirded!Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 21:57
Guigou Chenevier of Etron Fou Leloublan is incredible.  The rhythmic patterns that band puts together are so complex it almost sounds like they're failing to play in time with each other.  The rhythm section of that band blows me away!

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 22:02
Trond Gjellum - Panzerpappa
Alex Holzwarth - Sieges Even

Two brilliant, but fairly overlooked drummers!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 13:08

1. John HiIseman

2. Jerry Marotta

3. Stewart Copeland

4. Cozy Powell

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: April 10 2007 at 09:01
Stewart Copeland... I like precise and "concise" drummers

Date Posted: April 10 2007 at 20:47
other underrated drummer was the drummer of Rare Earth a band of 70s

Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 20:12
Other is Ian Paice that appear few in polls

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 20:14

I came here to post this. I was blown away when I first heard him, and I still wonder why he isn't often mentioned.

Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 20:46
Yeah, his style is awesome.  He's so unique because he was self-taught, so he learned a totally different way from other drummers.  Most drummers learn little bits and then learn to put them together: they play from the bottom up.  Cutler learned to break the whole down into little bits: he plays from the top down.  That's why he so effortlessly skims between time signatures and things; he doesn't count the beat, he just feels it.  My favorite example of this is Half Asleep; Half Awake.  If you count the beats, the time signature is changing almost every-other measure.  But if you just heard the drums, you'd never have guessed.  

-------------

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 20:54
Jerry Marotta. No really, the drums on "I Have the Touch" contribute to the song's major ownage. I love his work with Peter Gabby.

Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 21:12
I wuv'd Marrotta with the Tony Levin Band, but I suppose I don't mind having Pat Mastellotto replace him on a couple of cuts on Stick Man.  

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: September 30 2007 at 14:06
There's plenty of great Drummers there that I would not consider underrated and have had plenty of recognition over the years even if they're out of the Limelight now.

In the case of Tommy Aldridge, well he's a good solid player but a bit one dimentional and I think he's a touch overrated. Last time I saw him was with Thin Lizzy and he couldn't swing to save his life. He just didn't have the feel for the songs the way Brian Downey did.

My vote goes for Nick D'Virgillio.

Date Posted: October 25 2007 at 11:48
other is the drummer in calling all stations(not Nick D Virgilio the other)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk