Phil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34309
Printed Date: May 10 2024 at 22:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Phil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!
Posted By: The Whistler
Subject: Phil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:11
...unless you're reading this tomorrow, in which case, we decide then.

Now, think before you answer the above question. Was Phil a diabolical mastermind whose main purpose in life was to take a decent progressive outfit (excuse me, great progressive outfit), and turn it into a pop machine from the beginning? Did he, in fact, sign up on the "rock drummer sensitive to 12-string guitar" with the long term goal of popular stardom? Did he "never really like Yes 'n Pink Floyd?"

Or, did Phil, in fact, stumble onto it? Did he wake up one day, see where things were sort of going, and go, "Uh, okay. I can live with that, I guess. I don't have to play drums anymore, right?"

Did Phil always want to be a pop star, and realized that Gabriel's band would never hold for long? Or, if Genesis magically became a jazz band tomorrow, would Phil say that he always found pop music boring?

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:15
He drinks

Posted By: video vertigo
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:16
I choose "good drummer"

-------------
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:42

there are two sides to every story.

Personally i think it was gabriel who wanted to go more commercial and thatīs why he left. At that time with Kaye Banks in charge and a potential more important role for Hackett, Hackett forgot to put his 2 cents in, and he became obsolete, so then there were three.

with Kaye Banks pursuing a more straightforward style, influenced by the New Wave movement that started to flourish and inspired by Gabrielīs commercial succes, Genesis followed in that trail. Phil in the mean time was busy pursuing other interest with Brand X, maintaining a progressive style. In fact he kept his more commercial side for his solo project, but when that sky/rocketed Genesis, with Tony and Mike wanted their piece of the cake, so genesis allowed Phil to become their main writer in order to succeed commercially. hereby forcing Phil to leave the drumkit and focus on his role as front man, the only progressive element in Genesis at that time was Philīs drumming )the rest was cut short by Tony and Mike.

So it isnīt phil thatīs the evil genius, but rather Gabriel, Banks and Rutherford, with Hackett being a victim of the proces and Phil simply remaining true to himself.

so all is wel in paradise.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:49
clueless oaf, he doesn't mean to be so evil yet destruction follows him in every wake.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:50
^ Tuxon, presumably Banks and Kaye are interchangeable?Confused

The reason I don't like Collins as a person is because he adopted a revisionist view of rock history to make himself look cool in the eighties.I think most people realised he's a complete knob.That said he is a superb musician and certainly was the main reason Genesis continued after Gabriel left. Personally I like the albums Genesis made from Trick up to Duke. After that they obviously stopped being a 'prog band' but I gather it was a collective decison.Banks and Rutherford were as much to blame as Collins.I think we chose to blame Collins for it because he's such a prat.Evil%20Smile

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:57

Find the similarities between Yes and genesis.

Tony Banks
Tony kaye
Peter Banks
Peter Gabriel
Steve Howe
Steve hackett

somehow i always refer to banks as kaye, not the first time I assure youLOL

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 03:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Tuxon, presumably Banks and Kaye are interchangeable?Confused

The reason I don't like Collins as a person is because he adopted a revisionist view of rock history to make himself look cool in the eighties.I think most people realised he's a complete knob.That said he is a superb musician and certainly was the main reason Genesis continued after Gabriel left. Personally I like the albums Genesis made from Trick up to Duke. After that they obviously stopped being a 'prog band' but I gather it was a collective decison.Banks and Rutherford were as much to blame as Collins.I think we chose to blame Collins for it because he's such a prat.Evil%20Smile

Ah, good ole Phil. He's our wee, shiny headed punching bag. Great drummer though; everything on Selling England is superb.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 03:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

He drinks

I can dfend myself, syoo plumber.

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 04:28
More genius than any of us could ever aspire to be!!!

Rock on Phil.............

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: JayDee
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by video vertigo video vertigo wrote:

I choose "good drummer"
Ditto. I do like some of his solo stuffs though.

-------------

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 07:36
great drummer, and good vocalist also

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 08:02
I don't go along with the blanket condemnation of Phil Collins. I'm no great advocate of his solo work (Face Value is about my limit) or most of Genesis' 80s stuff either but I don't blame him for the band's move into commercial ventures. Rutherford (Throwing It All Away) and Banks (Anything She Does) were writing generic AOR in the same manner as Collins on the Genesis albums, but I feel because Phil had great solo success with material of that ilk, he gets the blame for the band's 80s sound.

I understand the bitterness about his musical taste change- indeed, I've seen a personal profile from a 1971 magazine that he lists Yes as his fave band and Jon Anderson as one of his heroes- but even when I generally dislike the majority of stuff from Invisible Touch, no other prog band ever achieved the total rejuvenation of fanbase that Genesis did. Yes almost did, but they were far too chaotic in terms of line-up turnover and general inner turmoil. I do give the band some credit for that, even when what they did wasn't always to my taste. Few other bands in any genre managed to update themselves in the same manner.

And yes, I rate him as a great drummer and a great vocalist too. And personally speaking, most of Gabriel's solo stuff is no more to my taste than Collins' or Mike and the Mechanics is, though I grant you it's not as flat out commercial.

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 08:56
Perhaps we stop excoriating Collins for his choices, admit that he has more talent in one of his fingerbones than we have in our entire bodies, and thank him for the great drumming in the 70s, at the very least.

Sheesh

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 09:06
Awesome drummer, excellent vocalist.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 09:21
Not sure about either, but he's caused more whining than the whole 'hanging chad' fiasco in Florida.

E

-------------

Posted By: Sir Hogweed
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 10:24

I believe Phil's only reason for joining Genesis was to be able to bring the band down from within. There is too much evidence around to think otherwise.

Wink

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 10:35
Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

Perhaps we stop excoriating Collins for his choices, admit that he has more talent in one of his fingerbones than we have in our entire bodies, and thank him for the great drumming in the 70s, at the very least.

Sheesh
It's not about the quality of his fingerbone. It's about where he sticks it sometimes.LOL (in a musical sense, that is)

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:56
This whole thread is borderline as far as being respectful to musicians is concerned. Please, no more personal insults or offensive comments.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:17
Aside from whether Phil is talented or not, I've always seen him a nice guy. I heard him in an interview in the 90s explaining to an interviewer that he could understand some people getting tired of hearing of him or his music, as it was gettting played quite a lot at the time, so he'd decided to cut back on projects. Not that he was putting down his music, just making a comment on overexposure.
Interestingly, I'm surprised that we haven't seen the usual onslaught of the quasi-religious Gabriel era Genesis fanatics who seem to see any mention of poor ol' Phil as cause for all out verbal war.
So maybe they cottoned on to the fact that they might have been suffering from a case mental constipation & verbal diarrheaTongue, or they went on notice that there was an actual "real" world out there Big%20smile

As per PyeWink
We're just musicians, here to thin the thickness of your skin

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 14:15
Allright, allright, I wish the good man no harm. He is very talented, obviously. One of my favourite drummers. A very gifted songwriter as well, although I am thankful he waited as long as he did before contributing full songs to Genesis albums. Otherwise, we would probably have had 'One more knight' as opener for SEBTPWink

Posted By: White Shadow
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:35
Who the hell do you people that crucufy him think you are?  You have never done anything or will do anything that comes close to the level of greatness he has created.  Phil is a tremendous drummer and frontman/singer.  If you don't like his poppier material, then look the other way.  It's not up to you to critique his work because your opinion quite frankly means sh*t.  Besides, most of you just jump on the bandwagon against Phil anyway.  Leave Phil alone because he IS a genius but there is not an evil bone in his body.  I don't care what people think.  I like a lot of his solo stuff, even Tarzan.  Now, most of you just turned from my response after that, but who are you to judge.  The stuff I don't like doesn't bother me because Phil has given me such joy and inspiration, he can do whatever he likes.  Leave him alone because everyone else has picked on him enough, and for the last time, he didn't do anything to Genesis.  It was all five of them that affected the band.  But, of course you would just assume because like I said you're quick to assume and jump on the bandwagon.

*The YOU I speak of is those that attack Phil because they think they have the right to demand what Phil does with his talent and life.

-------------
[signature]

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:42
Well Whist, you did it, the most provocative thread in weeks. You've created a monster and now it's come for you...

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:46
It's just speculation on my part, but I think Collins has become an easy scapegoat for why the music went in the direction it did. It's almost like people are too lazy to look for the real reason it diverted so much from their original goal. Why are Rutherford and Banks untouchable? They weren't billed Phil Collins & Genesis or Genesis featuring Phil Collins. That pie was divided equally three ways, my friends. To slam one man is unfair, unfounded, and unimaginative.

I also like his solo work. Face Value (especially side 2) is out of this world!

E

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 20:51
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Not sure about either, but he's caused more whining than the whole 'hanging chad' fiasco in Florida.

E

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 21:25
He's quite obviously an Evil Oaf.  He meant ill from the start, but it took him about a half-dozen albums, because he's such an oaf.  

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 21:33
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

He's quite obviously an Evil Oaf.  He meant ill from the start, but it took him about a half-dozen albums, because he's such an oaf.  

I wonder what Gabriel took a half dozen albums to find out ?Big%20smile

Are we fools ?
We are fools !
Fools are we ;
Fools we are.

P.S. anyone wanna start a pool to bet on how soon the next anti-Phil thread or poll will be ?
P.P.S. Or maybe those who originate these threads just have problems with their short term memory Wink

Par Mephisto, Par Jupiter,
Et tout les saints en enfer ....

Posted By: blaughida
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 23:57
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Why are Rutherford and Banks untouchable? They weren't billed Phil Collins & Genesis or Genesis featuring Phil Collins. That pie was divided equally three ways, my friends. To slam one man is unfair, unfounded, and unimaginative.

How about this alternative to the "Collins started writing pop songs and made Genesis pop" theory: "Collins wasn't much of a songwriter before they went pop, but Rutherford and Banks were, so it's the two remaining founding members' fault that they stopped writing prog."  Not that I believe the second statement is true, but if we're incorrectly going to blame only part of the band, I think it makes more a bit more sense.

I really can't stand the song "Misunderstanding," but it would not have been on Duke if Banks and Rutherford had not chosen it for Genesis out of the songs Collins had written.  Of course they were all responsible for everything they recorded.  This is a band whose procedure for accepting members' material is frequently blamed for forcing a member out. It doesn't make sense to say they collectively made Hackett leave and then say Collins single-handedly made them a pop band.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 00:26
OK all of you great musicians... cast the first stone, whoever is without sin.... or better say, whoever has written any music and good music for that matter, let he or she be the first to cast the first stone.

The guy played in one of the best bands ever. The guy had to take the place of one of the most larger-than-life singers ever, the guy had to assume the leadership after he had the success the other two couldn't have on their own (where are the fantastic albums by Rutherford and Banks??) The guy decided his goal was to write some of the best pop ballads and pop songs, and so he did. The guy was respected by the likes of Peter Gabriel, whom everybody loves.

Anyway, we're all waiting for that first stone...

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:22
(SMACK)

Uh, sorry, my hand slipped...

Oh, I mean no offense (well, sorta). Gotta admit, I did kinda like the Tarzan stuff. Wasn't too fond of the pop solo stuff, but ya know, my cuppa tea, what-what. My problem is more with Phil and his general attitude...which was, all yea stone-cast-innotators, the purpose of the poll. Assuming you bothered to read the first post,  which I doubt.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:28

dude

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:30

.....dude

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:35

dude

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 02:36
Officially on dude-watch.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:09
Looks like Phil's mother has joined the threadTongue

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:18

dude

Posted By: S Lang
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:48
Collins did some fantastic stuff at first stepping into Gabriel's shoes splendidly, then setting up Brand X - one of my very favourite bands - then he carried on by ruining both... His solo albums contain the odd piece of interesting bit, whilst his contribution to Camel's, or more like Latimer's output on  "I can see your house..." has delivered the worst Camel album ever.

I don't see Collins as a great drummer, he is trying too hard, but generally he is a great composer, singer, entertainer whilst having the courage to remain "cockney" as...

Posted By: pero
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 06:05
He is also responsible for Bowies "Tin machine", his worst period.

I don't like his composing and as a drummer, there is a lot of better drummers available.

Brand X are ok, but in fusion standards nothing new.

Posted By: ryba
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 08:21
again: PHILL COLLINS is one of the best musicians of the rock/pop scene. Outstandingly talented drummer, singer, composer and performer.
And as all the artists he has the right to do what he likes. Frankly, i like his popy songs very very much.
Long live Phil

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 11:01
I also agree with the opinion that Phil Collins its only a good drumer, just that

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Psychedelia
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 11:41

I vote for the clueless oaf option. Whats all this rubbish about not being able to criticise music and musicians? Music is made for people to enjoy by your logic the only people able to comment on music should be the musical elite which is not on at all.

-------------
Another emotional suicide, overdosed on sentiment and pride

Posted By: jalas
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 13:27
Well he doesn't seem very evil.  He seems like a nice guy to me.  Genious is kind of an overstatement judging by later Genesis music.  Other than that, he seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back.

-------------

JOIN THE COMMUNIST PARTY!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:01
Originally posted by Psychedelia Psychedelia wrote:

I vote for the clueless oaf option. Whats all this rubbish about not being able to criticise music and musicians? Music is made for people to enjoy by your logic the only people able to comment on music should be the musical elite which is not on at all.

No once said don't criticise musicians, but the criticism should be constructive, not just insults and name calling.

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:18
To be honest threads like this undermine the credibility of this great site. But hey everyone wants to be on their soapbox.

Phil...I salute you!

-------------

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

(SMACK)

Oh, I mean no offense (well, sorta). Gotta admit, I did kinda like the Tarzan stuff. Wasn't too fond of the pop solo stuff, but ya know, my cuppa tea, what-what. My problem is more with Phil and his general attitude...which was, all yea stone-cast-innotators, the purpose of the poll. Assuming you bothered to read the first post,  which I doubt.

Well, I bothered to read. But maybe I got a little bit off your question and more into the general Collins-bashing I was reading.... Not against the poll itself,but about what the poll turned into (as every PC poll....). If you're going to start a poll about Phil Collins, even if you ask "do you think he's a drummer?", even if you ask that it will degenrate into a bashing-thread, so don't be so shocked because I wandered off topic to replicate other off-topic posts.

Dude

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by jalas jalas wrote:

Well he doesn't seem very evil.  He seems like a nice guy to me.  Genious is kind of an overstatement judging by later Genesis music.  Other than that, he seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back.

Genius is an overstatement? Confused

He came up with some great pop songs. That is genius to me. Making pop sound good.

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:44
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Dude

Dude!

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:43
Originally posted by Psychedelia Psychedelia wrote:

Normally I say 'go for it'; but, Collins gets railed against CONSTANTLY around here. I think we've got better things to do and to talk about. Don't you?

E

-------------

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:49
Phil is not completely one or the other. His work with Brand X and in Gabriel-fronted Genesis shut me up at a time when I was only familiar with his atrocious pioneering of adult contemporary. He is a great drummer, but he's turned away from his true skill (he even uses drum machines on his solo albums) to write generally banal lyrics. Still, you gotta laugh when you find out he's right up there with James Brown in terms of popularity with rappers.

Posted By: Freak
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 20:50
I don't really think the man is either.

This is the first "I Hate Phil Club" thread I've posted in, I always figured I could wait for the next one to pop up within a few days and give it a go there. Anyway, Phil was a great drummer and a great singer. I always thought Banks had something to do with the pop-sound (he always seemed the most vocal and knowledgable about it in interviews). Really, the guy's just a musician. He wrote some pop ballads in what used to be a prog-band! Obviously he's the incarnation of Lucifer, right?

To tell the truth, in one of the medleys from the 80s he puts in a chilling performance on "Apocalypse In 9/8" & "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs". One of the most powerful I've heard! Phil Collins is a bloke who makes music. He seems nice to me.

-------------

Posted By: White Shadow
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:06
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Originally posted by jalas jalas wrote:

Genius is an overstatement? Confused

He came up with some great pop songs. That is genius to me. Making pop sound good.
Also he contributed to both early Genesis and Brand X as a writer.  He always said he wasn't a songwriter before, but since Genesis wrote collaboratively and credited the music to everyone, Phil, as far as I'm concerned, did participate in Genesis' writing parts.

-------------
[signature]

Posted By: sheeves
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:36
I do not think that Phil is as bad as most Genesis fans say he is. He was a great drummer, and probably the most skilled musician in the band during their Gabriel years. His drumming added so many more elements to the songs Genesis produced. I belive that Phil always had a jazz fusion side to him, as seen with Brand x. He was a great vocalist as well, and was very reluctant in becoming the lead singer for the band. Most people felt that Phil was the one that "Sold Out" Genesis. I am not blaming Hackett, but once Hackett left, the band took a different direction because they could not sustain the same sound with only 3 members. Besides, all three had equal input into the music, and they were doing what they wanted to do musically, which I do not believe is selling out. I certainly prefer the Gabriel-era Genesis, but i admit i like all of the albums during Genesis' pop years, especially Duke and I Can't Dance.

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:06
Let's see which of the following statements infer a certain bias towards a certain era of said group Genesis, which may actually relate to a certain sect of Genesis fan
1 - Phil Collins seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back. I ask you 2 questions - Did he actually say ANYTHING to indicate this seeming ignorance ? There has been talk for many years & I've yet to read Phil's name being mentioned as not being asked to join in. He WAS the drummer, right.
& question 2 - Is it fair to ask if you are clueless to the fact that there are many fans that want to see the Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis , & would you  claim that Gabriel is clueless in this regard ?
2 - Collins has turned away from his true skill. Like he only has one. Oh wait, he only has one that YOU like or are ready to tolerate. Interesting how others appreciate other "skills" he has. But then, popularity & "pop" music in & of themselves are automatically bad, evil, & responsible for entertaining fans; not you, but then there must be people who have differing tastes from yours. I wonder if they have better things to do than regularly start or post to threads demonizing a musician that they don't like.
3 - The point that I see made a lot lately as a response to these "repetitive" threads is "ENOUGH". The rest of us get it, you don't like him; you loathe the direction that he personally dictated to Banks & Rutherford. How dare they even think to put out music that you hate. There oughta be a law against that, hanging's too good for him, blah blah
. Are you really adding anything new, or is your short term or even long term memory really that bad ? The point is not the criticism, the point is simply that it is & has been the same old rants & raves. You are aware that there are other groups, other music, other things that can be discussed or debated than the fact that Genesis' musical style changed over a career of some 25 - 30 years. Who'd a thought that possible ? Are musicians allowed to do that ?
4 - So for you rabid anti-Phils, pleeeeaaaase take note of the ever increasing posts to these self perpetuating threads that simply say, "Can we talk about something else, ANYTHING else, Please "?

I'll end with a quote from a somewhat intelligent person, name of Albert E. " Apart from the lack of agreement with reality, it is a superb intellectual performance".
Come up with something new - hey , I know; why did Genesis progressively move away from long songs to shorter songs between Trespass through to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway even though I liked them the way they were ? Why did Tony Banks' keyboard sound change during this period even though I liked the sound on Foxtrot best? Why did Peter Gabriel not keep his reverse mohawk haircut, now people don't understand when I do it? Why did they have to improve or clean up the sound production from album to album? Why do certain people get overly angry or need to endlessly & overly emotionally debate the point that THEY DON"T LIKE Phil Collins, or prefer the Gabriel era albums ? We know, sometimes we agree, we just don't see the need for endless repetition (which this post is likely becoming very guilty of , by now)

So if there are some of you for whom this sort of thing is necessary to your very life, please start your own site & argue, or rather agree with each other. Heck, see who can top who in pouring out the most inane invective, or go around in circles debating who can insult, demean or to put it in crude terms, piss on Phil the most. No one's trying to change your minds, & I haven't seen people responding en masse that these threads have done anything to change their opinions if they happened to like to Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis or not. Those who have changed their mind came to it by themselves, by listening to the music & deciding, & this is the probably the part you can't understand, but deciding by themselves what they preferred (which is likely that they want to avoid more anti Phil threads).

For those who've gotten this far, thank you. I do actually prefer most of the Gabriel albums, but I also like a few of the later albums as much; not all but some.

And to repeat a suggestion I've made before in this thread, if you have nothing better to do than repeat & restart these arguments so as to allow yourself to vent your Anti-Phil spleen, please take a walk outside, you may realize there is a REAL world out thereTongue

Bonjour les amies de mania, nous sommes fous !
Ne cherchez pas pourquoi,
Pas de chat, pas deux, nous sommes fous !
Put down a little life from a morning cosmic.

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:09
Relax, I think Whistler was just having a bit of fun and decided to post something he knew would start a debate.

Posted By: MadcapLaughs84
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:18
Clueless Oaf, but we coud use stronger words on him

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:25

Relax, I think Whistler was just having a bit of fun and decided to post something he knew would start a debate.

Please go back & re-read the comments made by others about the repetitiveness & seemingly endless supply of the same old same old. Why not discuss what instrument you would have preferred to have a more prominent part on a song or album ? Make it new. When you have the Admins stepping in at the very start to state that the thread is overtly meant to bring about the same negative responses, do you figure there's a need for another debate to go over the same old ground again. If you're so interested in Genesis (whatever period), is it possible that there are other aspects that could be discussed. Hey, Gabriel, did his ancestors come over from France ? Did Hackett invent two handed tapping on the guitar ? Did Banks use classical music melodies in his playing ? Was Rutherford as good a guitarist (technique wise) as Hackett, and did his guitar skills translate to his style as a bass player ? What about the fact that Collins' voice was perfect as background or harmony vocal to Peter's lead vocals, did that make a difference in their "sound ?
Get the point ? There must be other subjects that could be discussed & debated about a legendary group with such a loyal & knowledgeable fan base.

Of course, the rest of us could just flood the next thread of this type with stoner posts - Yeah , man, no man, I think you're right dude, I think you have erred in your remarks sir Big%20smile

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 02:45
Originally posted by pantacruelgruel pantacruelgruel wrote:

Let's see which of the following statements infer a certain bias towards a certain era of said group Genesis, which may actually relate to a certain sect of Genesis fan
1 - Phil Collins seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back. I ask you 2 questions - Did he actually say ANYTHING to indicate this seeming ignorance ? There has been talk for many years & I've yet to read Phil's name being mentioned as not being asked to join in. He WAS the drummer, right.
& question 2 - Is it fair to ask if you are clueless to the fact that there are many fans that want to see the Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis , & would you  claim that Gabriel is clueless in this regard ?
2 - Collins has turned away from his true skill. Like he only has one. Oh wait, he only has one that YOU like or are ready to tolerate. Interesting how others appreciate other "skills" he has. But then, popularity & "pop" music in & of themselves are automatically bad, evil, & responsible for entertaining fans; not you, but then there must be people who have differing tastes from yours. I wonder if they have better things to do than regularly start or post to threads demonizing a musician that they don't like.
3 - The point that I see made a lot lately as a response to these "repetitive" threads is "ENOUGH". The rest of us get it, you don't like him; you loathe the direction that he personally dictated to Banks & Rutherford. How dare they even think to put out music that you hate. There oughta be a law against that, hanging's too good for him, blah blah
. Are you really adding anything new, or is your short term or even long term memory really that bad ? The point is not the criticism, the point is simply that it is & has been the same old rants & raves. You are aware that there are other groups, other music, other things that can be discussed or debated than the fact that Genesis' musical style changed over a career of some 25 - 30 years. Who'd a thought that possible ? Are musicians allowed to do that ?
4 - So for you rabid anti-Phils, pleeeeaaaase take note of the ever increasing posts to these self perpetuating threads that simply say, "Can we talk about something else, ANYTHING else, Please "?

I'll end with a quote from a somewhat intelligent person, name of Albert E. " Apart from the lack of agreement with reality, it is a superb intellectual performance".
Come up with something new - hey , I know; why did Genesis progressively move away from long songs to shorter songs between Trespass through to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway even though I liked them the way they were ? Why did Tony Banks' keyboard sound change during this period even though I liked the sound on Foxtrot best? Why did Peter Gabriel not keep his reverse mohawk haircut, now people don't understand when I do it? Why did they have to improve or clean up the sound production from album to album? Why do certain people get overly angry or need to endlessly & overly emotionally debate the point that THEY DON"T LIKE Phil Collins, or prefer the Gabriel era albums ? We know, sometimes we agree, we just don't see the need for endless repetition (which this post is likely becoming very guilty of , by now)

So if there are some of you for whom this sort of thing is necessary to your very life, please start your own site & argue, or rather agree with each other. Heck, see who can top who in pouring out the most inane invective, or go around in circles debating who can insult, demean or to put it in crude terms, piss on Phil the most. No one's trying to change your minds, & I haven't seen people responding en masse that these threads have done anything to change their opinions if they happened to like to Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis or not. Those who have changed their mind came to it by themselves, by listening to the music & deciding, & this is the probably the part you can't understand, but deciding by themselves what they preferred (which is likely that they want to avoid more anti Phil threads).

For those who've gotten this far, thank you. I do actually prefer most of the Gabriel albums, but I also like a few of the later albums as much; not all but some.

And to repeat a suggestion I've made before in this thread, if you have nothing better to do than repeat & restart these arguments so as to allow yourself to vent your Anti-Phil spleen, please take a walk outside, you may realize there is a REAL world out thereTongue

Personally I like the 4 albums that followed Gabriel leaving.

I think its true that Phil is seen 'the destroyer of Genesis/prog rock' which is obviously rediculous but nevertheless its a view that has taken hold.As I stated before I have nothing but the highest regard for him as a musician and always support a view that he was one of the best prog drummers.I also believe that without him Genesis would have given up after Lamb ..which means no Trick,WAW,ATTWT or Duke.All extremely respectable prog albums.As for the other questions ..quite frankly they are boring! I used to go on the old Genesis talking shop site and they loved talking about all that stuff. The old debate about whether Collins killed prog is always more interesting IMO Big%20smile  

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 04:06
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

(SMACK)

Well, I bothered to read. But maybe I got a little bit off your question and more into the general Collins-bashing I was reading.... Not against the poll itself,but about what the poll turned into (as every PC poll....). If you're going to start a poll about Phil Collins, even if you ask "do you think he's a drummer?", even if you ask that it will degenrate into a bashing-thread, so don't be so shocked because I wandered off topic to replicate other off-topic posts.

Dude

...Dude.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 04:11

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:44

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Personally I like the 4 albums that followed Gabriel leaving.

I think its true that Phil is seen 'the destroyer of Genesis/prog rock' which is obviously rediculous but nevertheless its a view that has taken hold.As I stated before I have nothing but the highest regard for him as a musician and always support a view that he was one of the best prog drummers.I also believe that without him Genesis would have given up after Lamb ..which means no Trick,WAW,ATTWT or Duke.All extremely respectable prog albums.As for the other questions ..quite frankly they are boring! I used to go on the old Genesis talking shop site and they loved talking about all that stuff. The old debate about whether Collins killed prog is always more interesting IMO Big%20smile  

Listen you cannot win them all. I blew a fuse or two on the same subject many mad moons ago. The problem is......people perceive their reality to be KING and Mr. Phillip Collins, well tough one but....get on yer bike.That is what they think.

My problem is getting over the fact that people bash someone so obviously talented even if he took another direction. So bl&%%%%dy what!!! I love his solo stuff except Testify ( drivel) and his serious hits junk ++ Tarzan. You know even my kids have grown up loving Phil Collins. And you know what...they love,like and admire Genesis too!! The fact that I buckle them up and turn up the volume in the car has absolutely nothing to do with itWink

BTW, some people enjoy taking the piss, they have too much time on their hands. Nothing wrong with that either.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:15

Of course, the rest of us could just flood the next thread of this type with stoner posts - Yeah , man, no man, I think you're right dude, I think you have erred in your remarks sir Big%20smile

Whoah man, you mean, like, that's NOT what I've already been doin'? Dude...

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:17

Dude that gives me a headache trying to imagine that, man. Slow down,man, you almost lost me, man.

Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 02:20
It looks like Cheech and Chong have rediscovered some new found youth...welcome back guys.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 18:08
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Dude that gives me a headache trying to imagine that, man. Slow down,man, you almost lost me, man.

Whoa people, 5-6 posts & no anti whatsisname retorts ... whatever we're trying to do seems to be , em, er, um, is that chocolate fudge brownie , man ?Wink
Results are in, & we seem to have found our weapon. Just don't use it on me OK Tongue I'm very sensitive person; very sensible, too ; sometimes Smile

So on to the next question - What ?

Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:10

The next question is, like, have you got the munchies? Cause man, I've like totally...what was I talkin' about? And do you have the munchies?

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:11

The next question is, like, have you got the munchies? Cause man, I've like totally...what was I talkin' about? And do you have the munchies?

Dude I totally don't have the munchies......that brownie looks good...oh man I'm starving give me that!!!

Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:13

...what ?

Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 02:27

Whoah, wha--? Who wants a Moon Pie?

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 12:32
So that's it, We've decided - moon pies, brownies, cheesies, with Phil footing the bill as thanks for our heroic efforts in reversing the tide. Big%20smile

"There is nothing more innately human than the tendency to transmute what has become customary into what has been divinely ordained". Suzanne Lafollette (Early 20th century American conservative journalist & author who advocated libertarian feminism in the first half of that century)

P.S. Right now, I'm listening to Split Enz " TIme for a change" ....Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk