Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which of these better describes Phil Collins?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [30.30%]
23 [69.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!
    Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:11
...unless you're reading this tomorrow, in which case, we decide then.

Now, think before you answer the above question. Was Phil a diabolical mastermind whose main purpose in life was to take a decent progressive outfit (excuse me, great progressive outfit), and turn it into a pop machine from the beginning? Did he, in fact, sign up on the "rock drummer sensitive to 12-string guitar" with the long term goal of popular stardom? Did he "never really like Yes 'n Pink Floyd?"

Or, did Phil, in fact, stumble onto it? Did he wake up one day, see where things were sort of going, and go, "Uh, okay. I can live with that, I guess. I don't have to play drums anymore, right?"

Did Phil always want to be a pop star, and realized that Gabriel's band would never hold for long? Or, if Genesis magically became a jazz band tomorrow, would Phil say that he always found pop music boring?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:15
He drinks
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:16
I choose "good drummer"
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:42

there are two sides to every story.

Personally i think it was gabriel who wanted to go more commercial and thatīs why he left. At that time with Kaye Banks in charge and a potential more important role for Hackett, Hackett forgot to put his 2 cents in, and he became obsolete, so then there were three.

with Kaye Banks pursuing a more straightforward style, influenced by the New Wave movement that started to flourish and inspired by Gabrielīs commercial succes, Genesis followed in that trail. Phil in the mean time was busy pursuing other interest with Brand X, maintaining a progressive style. In fact he kept his more commercial side for his solo project, but when that sky/rocketed Genesis, with Tony and Mike wanted their piece of the cake, so genesis allowed Phil to become their main writer in order to succeed commercially. hereby forcing Phil to leave the drumkit and focus on his role as front man, the only progressive element in Genesis at that time was Philīs drumming )the rest was cut short by Tony and Mike.

So it isnīt phil thatīs the evil genius, but rather Gabriel, Banks and Rutherford, with Hackett being a victim of the proces and Phil simply remaining true to himself.

so all is wel in paradise.

Edited by tuxon - February 12 2007 at 02:59
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:49
clueless oaf, he doesn't mean to be so evil yet destruction follows him in every wake.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:50
^ Tuxon, presumably Banks and Kaye are interchangeable?Confused

The reason I don't like Collins as a person is because he adopted a revisionist view of rock history to make himself look cool in the eighties.I think most people realised he's a complete knob.That said he is a superb musician and certainly was the main reason Genesis continued after Gabriel left. Personally I like the albums Genesis made from Trick up to Duke. After that they obviously stopped being a 'prog band' but I gather it was a collective decison.Banks and Rutherford were as much to blame as Collins.I think we chose to blame Collins for it because he's such a prat.Evil%20Smile

Edited by richardh - February 12 2007 at 02:52
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 02:57

Find the similarities between Yes and genesis.

Tony Banks
Tony kaye
Peter Banks
Peter Gabriel
Steve Howe
Steve hackett

somehow i always refer to banks as kaye, not the first time I assure youLOL
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 03:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Tuxon, presumably Banks and Kaye are interchangeable?Confused

The reason I don't like Collins as a person is because he adopted a revisionist view of rock history to make himself look cool in the eighties.I think most people realised he's a complete knob.That said he is a superb musician and certainly was the main reason Genesis continued after Gabriel left. Personally I like the albums Genesis made from Trick up to Duke. After that they obviously stopped being a 'prog band' but I gather it was a collective decison.Banks and Rutherford were as much to blame as Collins.I think we chose to blame Collins for it because he's such a prat.Evil%20Smile

Ah, good ole Phil. He's our wee, shiny headed punching bag. Great drummer though; everything on Selling England is superb.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 03:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

He drinks

I can dfend myself, syoo plumber.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 04:28
More genius than any of us could ever aspire to be!!!

Rock on Phil.............
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by video vertigo video vertigo wrote:

I choose "good drummer"
Ditto. I do like some of his solo stuffs though.

Edited by Majestic_Mayhem - February 12 2007 at 07:35

kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 07:36
great drummer, and good vocalist also
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 08:02
I don't go along with the blanket condemnation of Phil Collins. I'm no great advocate of his solo work (Face Value is about my limit) or most of Genesis' 80s stuff either but I don't blame him for the band's move into commercial ventures. Rutherford (Throwing It All Away) and Banks (Anything She Does) were writing generic AOR in the same manner as Collins on the Genesis albums, but I feel because Phil had great solo success with material of that ilk, he gets the blame for the band's 80s sound.

I understand the bitterness about his musical taste change- indeed, I've seen a personal profile from a 1971 magazine that he lists Yes as his fave band and Jon Anderson as one of his heroes- but even when I generally dislike the majority of stuff from Invisible Touch, no other prog band ever achieved the total rejuvenation of fanbase that Genesis did. Yes almost did, but they were far too chaotic in terms of line-up turnover and general inner turmoil. I do give the band some credit for that, even when what they did wasn't always to my taste. Few other bands in any genre managed to update themselves in the same manner.

And yes, I rate him as a great drummer and a great vocalist too. And personally speaking, most of Gabriel's solo stuff is no more to my taste than Collins' or Mike and the Mechanics is, though I grant you it's not as flat out commercial.

Edited by salmacis - February 12 2007 at 08:06
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 08:56
Perhaps we stop excoriating Collins for his choices, admit that he has more talent in one of his fingerbones than we have in our entire bodies, and thank him for the great drumming in the 70s, at the very least.

Sheesh
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 09:06
Awesome drummer, excellent vocalist.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 09:21
Not sure about either, but he's caused more whining than the whole 'hanging chad' fiasco in Florida.

E
Sir Hogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 10:24

I believe Phil's only reason for joining Genesis was to be able to bring the band down from within. There is too much evidence around to think otherwise.

Wink
Sir Hogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 10:35
Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

Perhaps we stop excoriating Collins for his choices, admit that he has more talent in one of his fingerbones than we have in our entire bodies, and thank him for the great drumming in the 70s, at the very least.

Sheesh
It's not about the quality of his fingerbone. It's about where he sticks it sometimes.LOL (in a musical sense, that is)
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:56
This whole thread is borderline as far as being respectful to musicians is concerned. Please, no more personal insults or offensive comments.

Edited by Easy Livin - February 12 2007 at 11:57
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:17
Aside from whether Phil is talented or not, I've always seen him a nice guy. I heard him in an interview in the 90s explaining to an interviewer that he could understand some people getting tired of hearing of him or his music, as it was gettting played quite a lot at the time, so he'd decided to cut back on projects. Not that he was putting down his music, just making a comment on overexposure.
Interestingly, I'm surprised that we haven't seen the usual onslaught of the quasi-religious Gabriel era Genesis fanatics who seem to see any mention of poor ol' Phil as cause for all out verbal war.
So maybe they cottoned on to the fact that they might have been suffering from a case mental constipation & verbal diarrheaTongue, or they went on notice that there was an actual "real" world out there Big%20smile

As per PyeWink
We're just musicians, here to thin the thickness of your skin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>