Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40258
Printed Date: June 17 2024 at 12:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which Would You Rather Discuss?
Posted By: bhikkhu
Subject: Which Would You Rather Discuss?
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:20
So, which is it?

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Replies:
Posted By: fungusucantkill
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:21
horray for underground

-------------

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:22
underrated sh*t.

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:23
Problem is no one else will know what I am talking about

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: fungusucantkill
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:23
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

inform them!

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:26
Originally posted by fungusucantkill fungusucantkill wrote:

inform them!
Ok, here goes.

Right now I am listening to the album "Friend or Foe" by Menomena it is sort of experimental indie pop. Any oppinions.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:27

inform them!

Exactly!

Start talking about it.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:29

inform them!

Ok, here goes.

Right now I am listening to the album "Friend or Foe" by Menomena it is sort of experimental indie pop. Any oppinions.

Hate to tell you this, but this is prog polls. I am specifically trying to initiate more discussion about lesser known prog bands. But, there is the non-prog area. I commend you for being in the right spirit.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:32
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

inform them!

Ok, here goes.

Hate to tell you this, but this is prog polls. I am specifically trying to initiate more discussion about lesser known prog bands. But, there is the non-prog area. I commend you for being in the right spirit.
ok, sorry. how about Alarum (jazzy metal) I find them to be not quite to the level of Atheist or Cynic but still intresting. are they the unknown spawn of flordaprogdeath or just some random band. Ideas?

edit: that whole prog isn't the same as progressive thing gets me every time

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:35

inform them!
Ok, here goes.

yeah.... 'Who's Next' is a better album LOL

obviously we want to promote the  lesser known music...  but singing it's praises only goes so far  to those who have limited funds... with scores of great suggestions coming in from all 18 subgenres. 

However since we are social creatures and crave other people's company.. we will still yak it up in the 20th odd version of Yes vs. Genesis vs. John Patrucci's good looks.

For me...both...  always an interest in promoting the prog I like... and also trying to make the same old 'opinion' threads different in some way when I have an opportunity.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:35
That's like asking if you'd rather see a nude photo of Rosie O'Donnell or Jessica Alba!

E

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

inform them!

Ok, here goes.

yeah.... 'Who's Next' is a better album LOLobviously we want to promote the  lesser known music...  but singing it's praises only goes so far  to those who have limited funds... with scores of great suggestions coming in from all 18 subgenres.  However since we are social creatures and crave other people's company.. we will still yak it up in the 20th odd version of Yes vs. Genesis vs. John Patrucci's good looks. For me...both...  always an interest in promoting the prog I like... and also trying to make the same old 'opinion' threads different in some way when I have an opportunity.

But what a thrill if you bring up that one obscure item in your collection, and someone else actually knows about it. Then another person may say, "Hmm, that sounds interesting..." and decide to spend those limited funds on something new, rather than yet another re-master of "Dark Side of the Moon."

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 20:46

inform them!

Ok, here goes.

ok, sorry. how about Alarum (jazzy metal) I find them to be not quite to the level of Atheist or Cynic but still intresting. are they the unknown spawn of flordaprogdeath or just some random band. Ideas?

I consider Aghora to be on the same level as Atheist and Cynic. More interesting with female vocals. It is also made of a former Cynic members so expect the same technicality.

I like this topic/poll...and underated sh*it.

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 22:36

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

inform them!

Ok, here goes.

yeah.... 'Who's Next' is a better album LOLobviously we want to promote the  lesser known music...  but singing it's praises only goes so far  to those who have limited funds... with scores of great suggestions coming in from all 18 subgenres.  However since we are social creatures and crave other people's company.. we will still yak it up in the 20th odd version of Yes vs. Genesis vs. John Patrucci's good looks. For me...both...  always an interest in promoting the prog I like... and also trying to make the same old 'opinion' threads different in some way when I have an opportunity.

But what a thrill if you bring up that one obscure item in your collection, and someone else actually knows about it. Then another person may say, "Hmm, that sounds interesting..." and decide to spend those limited funds on something new, rather than yet another re-master of "Dark Side of the Moon."

My $.02:

What you are trying to do here is admirable and interesting at best but somewhat futile...I'm speaking as a moderately experienced progger in general, so considering that I've probably listened to about as much music (give or take) as the average member here, I can honestly say that most people will already have a huuuuuge pile of recommendations and wishlists already lined up, so there may not be enough desire to spend those limited funds.  There's just so much to chose from out there; adding more and more onto growing heaps of recommendations is not going to be everyone's priority.  At this point, I can honestly say that my "to-buy" list is so bloated and growing so rapidly that it has easily eclipsed my actual collection in sizeConfused.  It takes time (and $$) for people to bump into the more obscure stuff, but be patient, people will begin to join the cause Smile

...while we're at it, I'd be tickled if someone could recommend me obscure blues-driven prog aggressive enough to get the old fists pumping, and complex enough to reward with repeated listeningsTongue

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 22:46
The point is not to get people spending money, but to get back to some authentic prog discussion. I discovered a lot of new stuff when I first came here. Some of it was just information. I know there are plenty of people here that have more in their collections than Yes, Genesis, Tull, Rush, Pink Floyd, GG, VDGG, King Crimson, and the classic rock staples in Proto/Related.

I also notice that no one has voted for the first option.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 22:49
The forums and reviews kind of go hand in hand for me.  I want to start a poll with a simple question:  "Have you reviewed Close to the Edge?"  I refuse to review it since I figure 600 and some reviews is plenty and we don't need more.  And how many of the reviews for CTTE and WYWH start out with, "I can't really add to what others have said."  Well then don't add to what others have said.  Go listen to something more obscure and review that and contribute something.

I just saw a guy join today and immediately review DSOTM, WYWH and Animals.  He may be a fine, upstanding gentleman, but give me a break.  My eyes immediately glazed over.

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 22:55
bhikku: sorry, I had a slight misunderstanding, but I do believe that most people eventually tire of discussing the same thing; it becomes a matter of seniority.  I notice that much of the "same old thing" discussions happen amongst relative newcomers who will eventually move on to the next level at their own rate.

But I do have to say that I very much agree with you; more interesting threads popping up demand viewers and speed up the discovery processSmile.  Just as a tip, if you want to promote lesser known bands, then just start a topic with a creative name and then post video's and clip's (if available) as well as your comments:  people will always click on a link out of basic curiosity...this way they can do it without jumping through one of the longer, possibly overwhelming rec. threads.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:00
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

...while we're at it, I'd be tickled if someone could recommend me obscure blues-driven prog aggressive enough to get the old fists pumping, and complex enough to reward with repeated listeningsTongue

American band Touch has some blues underpinnings.. and though classed as ArtRock here, heavy psych band High Tide is very rough and bluesy, and I assume you know Atomic Rooster.. and Niacin has some great gospel-blues fire

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:14
I would like to discuss who most progheads lack an adventurous mind, why they are so determined to go for the known bands while there are so many better lesser and unknown bands.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:18

They are an interesting band, though I do find Atheist more interesting. I don't own any of their albums [heard them though], but saw them live a couple of years back when I was clued up on the Australian metal scene. If you didn't know they are hoping to release an album this year called Natural Causes.

Oh and for my answer.... I prefer to discuss some of the more underground bands.

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:20

bhikku: sorry, I had a slight misunderstanding, but I do believe that most people eventually tire of discussing the same thing; it becomes a matter of seniority.  I notice that much of the "same old thing" discussions happen amongst relative newcomers who will eventually move on to the next level at their own rate.

But I do have to say that I very much agree with you; more interesting threads popping up demand viewers and speed up the discovery processSmile.  Just as a tip, if you want to promote lesser known bands, then just start a topic with a creative name and then post video's and clip's (if available) as well as your comments:  people will always click on a link out of basic curiosity...this way they can do it without jumping through one of the longer, possibly overwhelming rec. threads.

Great idea. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:37
Does this mean I get to talk about bands that no one has ever heard of? Hooray! Andrew Liles is currently realeasing a 12-CD series titled The Vortex Vault showcasing collaborations and previously unheard works from his archives. Each CD has the word "black" in the title (Black Hole, Black Market, Black Widow, etc.) and is being released in an individually hand signed and numbered edition of 400. The packaging is beautiful black cardboard with a black paper band around the whole thing.
So far I only have two of them, as they are rather on the expensive side for cds at $19,99 a pop at my local record store, but the music has been very high quality, consisting of a variety of styles, including Drone, Ambient, Electronica, Metal, World, Neo-Classical and just general weirdness. I highly recommend picking one up if you have the oportunity, as they are a great buy and sure to appreciate in value.

-------------

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:44

inform them!

Ok, here goes.

Yeah you idiot.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:47
By the way you put it I feel so tempted to vote the first option!...NOT

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 23:47
I'd rather discuss something NEW about something discussed to death, or something altogether new, as opposed to something altogether old (obviously).

This is sort of a lopsided poll, innit? Kinda obvious...

However, it is easier to talk about something discussed to death: more to say (though most has already been said). Especially with people outside of prog, you can tell them loads about the basic/starter bands if you have discussed them to death. But there's a point where there's too much, of course...

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 00:21
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Really? I hadn't noticed.

I don't think there will be any lack of topics on the old favorites. I'm just trying to encourage more discussion where it is desperately needed.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 00:29

Really? I hadn't noticed.

I don't think there will be any lack of topics on the old favorites. I'm just trying to encourage more discussion where it is desperately needed.

then start discussing somthing, If I know what it is I will put my two cents in

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 02:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

American band Touch has some blues underpinnings.. and though classed as ArtRock here, heavy psych band High Tide is very rough and bluesy, and I assume you know Atomic Rooster.. and Niacin has some great gospel-blues fire

I didn't see this earlier....

I have heard High Tide and really like them as well as the mighty Rooster; these are pretty much what I had in mind...I've heard of Touch but have never got a hold of anything and Niacin sounds intriguing so I've got some work to do.  Thanks Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 04:29
Discussed to death! DISCUSSED TO DEATH!!!

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 05:37
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I would like to discuss who most progheads lack an adventurous mind, why they are so determined to go for the known bands while there are so many better lesser and unknown bands.

Erik

I have very much the same thoughts - you may have noted that  I have regularly banged on about jazz rock fans who's record collections haven't moved passed 1978.  I was under the impression, that once upon a time, a progressive music fan actually liked to progress musically, rather than become stuck in the mud somewhere between 1968 to 1975. But I think this area deserves its own thread for some serious discussion.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 05:52
something that deserves more attention, like MODERN PROG for example!

i think most,rather almost all people here already aware how great the 60's and 70's are. even if they're not into classic prog, they'd probably agree that those era are probably the best, the golden age, etc. you know that...but come on! we're not living in the past anymore!

prog wasn't dead after those years and it still continue evolving, and blend into other music as well, like uh...metal (among the obvious ones). In a quite recent thread there're quite a lot of people that agreed prog still alive and kickin' so why don't we discuss more recent stuff, in fact of something that has been discussed to death...

i'm probably among the minority here...

p.s. i don't dislike classic prog, really...

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: LeInsomniac
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 07:52
Yeah, lets discuss sleepytime gorilla museum. Lets discuss Zaar and Yugen. Lets discuss Mr.Bungle. Lets just discuss.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LeInsomniac/?chartstyle=volta">
Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 08:17
Honestly, what result do you expect from such a poll, since the way you ask your questions is biased already? Confused
To show you how biased the questions are, let me rephrase them slightly:
What would you rather discuss?
1. Something that has been discussed often and thus is of great common interest?
2. Something that is rarely discussed because nobody gives a damn?

I hope this makes it plain to you.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 08:28
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Honestly, what result do you expect from such a poll, since the way you ask your questions is biased already? ConfusedTo show you how biased the questions are, let me rephrase them slightly:What would you rather discuss?1. Something that has been discussed often and thus is of great common interest?2. Something that is rarely discussed because nobody gives a damn?I hope this makes it plain to you.

Look at the previous posts. You will see that I am triong to make a point here. (ie, not really a serious poll ).

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 08:30
This is the second (that I've seen) post you've started lamenting the fact that we discuss popular bands, but how many threads have you started actually discussing the bands you're supposedly heralding? Actions speak louder than words, my friend.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 08:30

Really? I hadn't noticed. I don't think there will be any lack of topics on the old favorites. I'm just trying to encourage more discussion where it is desperately needed.

then start discussing somthing, If I know what it is I will put my two cents in

I have already started a new artist thread in the prog lounge. There will be more. Feel free to open up discussion on anything you think deserves some attention.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 09:41
At this point, we're discussing discussing things. (Which isn't something we discuss very often!)

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 09:42
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

That's like asking if you'd rather see a nude photo of Rosie O'Donnell or Jessica Alba!

E

Well, I suppose the Rosie ones are more rarely seen. Wink

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 09:47
...and that's no accident my friend.

E

-------------

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 09:55
Search <Aperanta Horafia> or <Απεραντα Χωραφια> in greek by Kostas Tournas...Greek prog.Listen to it and you will remember me!!!

Posted By: T.Rox
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:37

Lots of 70's Australian prog kinda fits this category, and not too many of the bands are on PA. I am thinking THE MASTER'S APPRENTICES, KAHVAS JUTE,  SPECTRUM and ZOOT, bands that are all mentioned in Ronald Couture's "Essential Mini-guide To Progressive Rock" that are not in PA, and other bands like FRATERNITY (Bon Scott's band before AC/DC), TAMAM SHUD, COLOURED BALLS (and some of COLOURED BALLS' guitarist Lobby LOYDE's solo output) to name a few.

There is almost an Australian prog sound that is a result of the relative isoaltion from the rest of the world that I have not been able to pin a label to. I am thinking that "blues-driven aggresive prog" may be very close to a good description. And this description does not fit for groups like SEBASTIAN HARDIE or RAINBOW THEATRE, if these are examples of Australian prog you may have come across in your prog journey.

If you can pick up a copy of this compilation you might get a bit of an insight into the that sound I am talking about...

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12213 - Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974

...which appears to be back in print at Raven Rocords ... http://www.ravenrecords.com.au - www.ravenrecords.com.au

Aztec Music ... http://www.aztecmusic.net - www.aztecmusic.net ... has embarked on a bit of a mission to re-issue some of the classic Aussie prog (and other) albums, so it is becoming a bit more available.

Feel free to discuss! Wink

...and I voted for the second option

-------------
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:57
The posts in this thread showcase reactions that range from cynically to enthousiasticly. The good thing is that you can motivate each other, rather than drown in the swamp of venom and negativism, that's one of the dangers here on the more and more popular Prog Archives: if you try to do something positive, there are always dark and sick minds that try to nail you in order to release their frustrations. So I would like to thank every proghead who reacted positive in this thread, especially Bhikkhu and Dick Heath, let's continue that way Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:00
^ erik, don't you be talking about me LOL

Can someone recommend me some post rock? I'm trying to at least try each of tghe sub-genres and I need some help.

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 12:02
Originally posted by T.Rox T.Rox wrote:

Lots of 70's Australian prog kinda fits this category, and not too many of the bands are on PA. I am thinking THE MASTER'S APPRENTICES, KAHVAS JUTE,  SPECTRUM and ZOOT, bands that are all mentioned in Ronald Couture's "Essential Mini-guide To Progressive Rock" that are not in PA, and other bands like FRATERNITY (Bon Scott's band before AC/DC), TAMAM SHUD, COLOURED BALLS (and some of COLOURED BALLS' guitarist Lobby LOYDE's solo output) to name a few.

There is almost an Australian prog sound that is a result of the relative isoaltion from the rest of the world that I have not been able to pin a label to. I am thinking that "blues-driven aggresive prog" may be very close to a good description. And this description does not fit for groups like SEBASTIAN HARDIE or RAINBOW THEATRE, if these are examples of Australian prog you may have come across in your prog journey.

If you can pick up a copy of this compilation you might get a bit of an insight into the that sound I am talking about...

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12213 - Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974

...which appears to be back in print at Raven Rocords ... http://www.ravenrecords.com.au - www.ravenrecords.com.au

Aztec Music ... http://www.aztecmusic.net - www.aztecmusic.net ... has embarked on a bit of a mission to re-issue some of the classic Aussie prog (and other) albums, so it is becoming a bit more available.

Feel free to discuss! Wink

...and I voted for the second option
bingoClap

For anyone interested, I've started a topic about this in the Recommendations section

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:20
I think we should shed some light on some more of the unknown bands

-------------

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:59
I prefer discussing lesser known stuff. How come we don't, when according to the poll results would like to? 

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:05
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

I prefer discussing lesser known stuff. How come we don't, when according to the poll results would like to? 

Because most of us give in to the same old stuff too easily. We get apathetic. That's why I am on this crusade. Let's start talking!

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:08
So just a minor suggestion (not even nearly a solution) -- let's try to avoid entering those same old polls and discussions...

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:09
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

^ erik, don't you be talking about me LOL

Can someone recommend me some post rock? I'm trying to at least try each of tghe sub-genres and I need some help.

I'm all for it. Feel free to ask in the Experimental/Post-Rock Appreciation thread. Some musical background will be helpful. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 21:28

Because most of us give in to the same old stuff too easily. We get apathetic. That's why I am on this crusade. Let's start talking!
I understand where you are coming from and whole-heartedly agree in principle.

However, the truth is that we all have an opinion on the well known acts and will all respond to those threads. Conversely only a limited few have opinions on lesser known bands so only a few will feel confident enough to join in the discussion.

So the success of a "Bardo Pond" thread (for example) cannot be measured by its length when compared to a "Genesis vs. Yes" thread. The measure (and difference) will be in the quality of the replies, not their total number. At the end of the day, how much can any of us say about a lesser known band and what is there to really discuss about them anyway?

So let's start threads to discuss these lesser known bands and if a thread gets one person interested in the band who previously hadn't heard of them then call that a success.

-------------
What?

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 21:32
actually I don't have an opinion on Kansas

hope this helps

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 21:51
The problem is that younger proggies such as myself are just now getting to lesser known bands. Whe I joined PA, I listened to VDGG and Anglagard and as far as I was concerned, I was a master of the undergound since none of my friends had any clue what I was listening to. It's incredible to find out that Anglagard and VDGG are actually commonplace. Now I've gotten into Ayreon, The Gift, SGM, and so many more, and even those names aren't obsure by any means on this site. Being promoted to reviewer inspired me to truly delve into prog and I'm enjoying every moment of the journey.

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 22:13
Something like Magnetophnoe that deserves more attention.

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 23:30
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I understand where you are coming from and whole-heartedly agree in principle.

However, the truth is that we all have an opinion on the well known acts and will all respond to those threads. Conversely only a limited few have opinions on lesser known bands so only a few will feel confident enough to join in the discussion.

So the success of a "Bardo Pond" thread (for example) cannot be measured by its length when compared to a "Genesis vs. Yes" thread. The measure (and difference) will be in the quality of the replies, not their total number. At the end of the day, how much can any of us say about a lesser known band and what is there to really discuss about them anyway?

So let's start threads to discuss these lesser known bands and if a thread gets one person interested in the band who previously hadn't heard of them then call that a success.

As I had suspected, you completely understand my intention with this.

Yes it is going to be up to us few to keep these discussions going. But along the way, the new seeker will read them, discover some new things, and then be joining us.

Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

So just a minor suggestion (not even nearly a solution) -- let's try to avoid entering those same old polls and discussions...

Kudos to you also my friend.

I don't think it's completely necessary to stage a boycott, but it is easy to get distracted by the tried and true. I have decided that I will no longer take part in Proto/Related discussions. I've got a ton of real prog to talk about.

I would also like to add that Fassbinder was very instrumental to my learning to appreciate a certain band that I was previously unfamiliar with.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 23:46
kudos on this idea H.T. I'm a reviewer and I could use some help finding obscure gems. The recommend me some prog thread could be very useful for you. I don't remember where it is but it oculd be a great place for members to say "I like 'Popular Prog bands A, B, and C' what lesser known bands might I like based on my current likes?"

Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 00:13

kudos on this idea H.T. I'm a reviewer and I could use some help finding obscure gems. The recommend me some prog thread could be very useful for you. I don't remember where it is but it oculd be a great place for members to say "I like 'Popular Prog bands A, B, and C' what lesser known bands might I like based on my current likes?"

Look around my friend. There is help everywhere. Sometimes it is good to find someone with similar tastes and exchange a few PM's. I got a lot of help with Zeuhl that way. Assaf (Avestin) is also a very good source for for the new and exciting. He can suggest a lot of challenging stuff for you.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 00:47

Look around my friend. There is help everywhere. Sometimes it is good to find someone with similar tastes and exchange a few PM's. I got a lot of help with Zeuhl that way. Assaf (Avestin) is also a very good source for for the new and exciting. He can suggest a lot of challenging stuff for you.

One day out of the Forum and HT starts a Cultural Revolution. LOL

Now seriously, this is something he has been talking about and been bothering us, when a new artist or a rare old one is mentioned, we have little feedback, you can't imagine the huge number of obscure 70's bands we found during the long process of the Symphonic Team, and we tried to start threads, but somehow the attention was moved towards the most popular.

The advantage we had is that working in a 100% Prog genre, we could keep our minds inside the rare ones but sometimes we felt like fighting against a giant tide that took us back to the shore.

We received some albums from new artists but when we started a thread, it died after two or three replies, this guys are trying to keep Prog alive and some of them are really outstanding, but I believe it must be frustrating for them to see that a Yes thread or Kansas vs The Who has 8 pages while nobody cares about their new albums like for example:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37233&KW=Anton - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37233&KW=Anton

Last month we've been supporting Atavachron, Rico and Chus searching Art Rock bands and it's surprising how many great unknown bands we find, lets go on this path and keep focussing in the lesser known, not to forget the most popular ones, but to retake the space for Prog bands.

Lets prog on and keep advancing.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:21
HT:

you mean VdGG -- all my pleasure!

I have my hat off to your ability to appreciate a band not from your favourite subgenre(s). Personally, I'm not able to do that.

Eugene

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk