Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Would You Rather Discuss?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Would You Rather Discuss?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [11.90%]
37 [88.10%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Would You Rather Discuss?
    Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:21
HT:

you mean VdGG -- all my pleasure!

I have my hat off to your ability to appreciate a band not from your favourite subgenre(s). Personally, I'm not able to do that.

Eugene

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 00:47
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

kudos on this idea H.T. I'm a reviewer and I could use some help finding obscure gems. The recommend me some prog thread could be very useful for you. I don't remember where it is but it oculd be a great place for members to say "I like 'Popular Prog bands A, B, and C' what lesser known bands might I like based on my current likes?"

Look around my friend. There is help everywhere. Sometimes it is good to find someone with similar tastes and exchange a few PM's. I got a lot of help with Zeuhl that way. Assaf (Avestin) is also a very good source for for the new and exciting. He can suggest a lot of challenging stuff for you.

One day out of the Forum and HT starts a Cultural Revolution. LOL

Now seriously, this is something he has been talking about and been bothering us, when a new artist or a rare old one is mentioned, we have little feedback, you can't imagine the huge number of obscure 70's bands we found during the long process of the Symphonic Team, and we tried to start threads, but somehow the attention was moved towards the most popular.

The advantage we had is that working in a 100% Prog genre, we could keep our minds inside the rare ones but sometimes we felt like fighting against a giant tide that took us back to the shore.

We received some albums from new artists but when we started a thread, it died after two or three replies, this guys are trying to keep Prog alive and some of them are really outstanding, but I believe it must be frustrating for them to see that a Yes thread or Kansas vs The Who has 8 pages while nobody cares about their new albums like for example:

Last month we've been supporting Atavachron, Rico and Chus searching Art Rock bands and it's surprising how many great unknown bands we find, lets go on this path and keep focussing in the lesser known, not to forget the most popular ones, but to retake the space for Prog bands.

Lets prog on and keep advancing.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 27 2007 at 01:46

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 00:13

kudos on this idea H.T. I'm a reviewer and I could use some help finding obscure gems. The recommend me some prog thread could be very useful for you. I don't remember where it is but it oculd be a great place for members to say "I like 'Popular Prog bands A, B, and C' what lesser known bands might I like based on my current likes?"

Look around my friend. There is help everywhere. Sometimes it is good to find someone with similar tastes and exchange a few PM's. I got a lot of help with Zeuhl that way. Assaf (Avestin) is also a very good source for for the new and exciting. He can suggest a lot of challenging stuff for you.

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 23:46
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 23:30
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

I prefer discussing lesser known stuff. How come we don't, when according to the poll results would like to? 
Because most of us give in to the same old stuff too easily. We get apathetic. That's why I am on this crusade. Let's start talking!

I understand where you are coming from and whole-heartedly agree in principle.

However, the truth is that we all have an opinion on the well known acts and will all respond to those threads. Conversely only a limited few have opinions on lesser known bands so only a few will feel confident enough to join in the discussion.

So the success of a "Bardo Pond" thread (for example) cannot be measured by its length when compared to a "Genesis vs. Yes" thread. The measure (and difference) will be in the quality of the replies, not their total number. At the end of the day, how much can any of us say about a lesser known band and what is there to really discuss about them anyway?

So let's start threads to discuss these lesser known bands and if a thread gets one person interested in the band who previously hadn't heard of them then call that a success.

As I had suspected, you completely understand my intention with this.

Yes it is going to be up to us few to keep these discussions going. But along the way, the new seeker will read them, discover some new things, and then be joining us.

Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

So just a minor suggestion (not even nearly a solution) -- let's try to avoid entering those same old polls and discussions...

Kudos to you also my friend.

I don't think it's completely necessary to stage a boycott, but it is easy to get distracted by the tried and true. I have decided that I will no longer take part in Proto/Related discussions. I've got a ton of real prog to talk about.

I would also like to add that Fassbinder was very instrumental to my learning to appreciate a certain band that I was previously unfamiliar with.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 22:13
Something like Magnetophnoe that deserves more attention.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 21:51
The problem is that younger proggies such as myself are just now getting to lesser known bands. Whe I joined PA, I listened to VDGG and Anglagard and as far as I was concerned, I was a master of the undergound since none of my friends had any clue what I was listening to. It's incredible to find out that Anglagard and VDGG are actually commonplace. Now I've gotten into Ayreon, The Gift, SGM, and so many more, and even those names aren't obsure by any means on this site. Being promoted to reviewer inspired me to truly delve into prog and I'm enjoying every moment of the journey.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 21:32
actually I don't have an opinion on Kansas

hope this helps
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 21:28

I prefer discussing lesser known stuff. How come we don't, when according to the poll results would like to? 

Because most of us give in to the same old stuff too easily. We get apathetic. That's why I am on this crusade. Let's start talking!
I understand where you are coming from and whole-heartedly agree in principle.

However, the truth is that we all have an opinion on the well known acts and will all respond to those threads. Conversely only a limited few have opinions on lesser known bands so only a few will feel confident enough to join in the discussion.

So the success of a "Bardo Pond" thread (for example) cannot be measured by its length when compared to a "Genesis vs. Yes" thread. The measure (and difference) will be in the quality of the replies, not their total number. At the end of the day, how much can any of us say about a lesser known band and what is there to really discuss about them anyway?

So let's start threads to discuss these lesser known bands and if a thread gets one person interested in the band who previously hadn't heard of them then call that a success.
What?
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:09

^ erik, don't you be talking about me LOL

Can someone recommend me some post rock? I'm trying to at least try each of tghe sub-genres and I need some help.

I'm all for it. Feel free to ask in the Experimental/Post-Rock Appreciation thread. Some musical background will be helpful. Smile

Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:08
So just a minor suggestion (not even nearly a solution) -- let's try to avoid entering those same old polls and discussions...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:05

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:59
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:20
I think we should shed some light on some more of the unknown bands
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 12:02
Originally posted by T.Rox T.Rox wrote:

Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

...while we're at it, I'd be tickled if someone could recommend me obscure blues-driven prog aggressive enough to get the old fists pumping, and complex enough to reward with repeated listeningsTongue

Lots of 70's Australian prog kinda fits this category, and not too many of the bands are on PA. I am thinking THE MASTER'S APPRENTICES, KAHVAS JUTE,  SPECTRUM and ZOOT, bands that are all mentioned in Ronald Couture's "Essential Mini-guide To Progressive Rock" that are not in PA, and other bands like FRATERNITY (Bon Scott's band before AC/DC), TAMAM SHUD, COLOURED BALLS (and some of COLOURED BALLS' guitarist Lobby LOYDE's solo output) to name a few.

There is almost an Australian prog sound that is a result of the relative isoaltion from the rest of the world that I have not been able to pin a label to. I am thinking that "blues-driven aggresive prog" may be very close to a good description. And this description does not fit for groups like SEBASTIAN HARDIE or RAINBOW THEATRE, if these are examples of Australian prog you may have come across in your prog journey.

If you can pick up a copy of this compilation you might get a bit of an insight into the that sound I am talking about...

...which appears to be back in print at Raven Rocords ... www.ravenrecords.com.au

Aztec Music ... www.aztecmusic.net ... has embarked on a bit of a mission to re-issue some of the classic Aussie prog (and other) albums, so it is becoming a bit more available.

Feel free to discuss! Wink

...and I voted for the second option
bingoClap

For anyone interested, I've started a topic about this in the Recommendations section

Edited by jimmy_row - July 26 2007 at 12:03
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:00
^ erik, don't you be talking about me LOL

Can someone recommend me some post rock? I'm trying to at least try each of tghe sub-genres and I need some help.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:57
The posts in this thread showcase reactions that range from cynically to enthousiasticly. The good thing is that you can motivate each other, rather than drown in the swamp of venom and negativism, that's one of the dangers here on the more and more popular Prog Archives: if you try to do something positive, there are always dark and sick minds that try to nail you in order to release their frustrations. So I would like to thank every proghead who reacted positive in this thread, especially Bhikkhu and Dick Heath, let's continue that way Thumbs%20Up
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:37
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

...while we're at it, I'd be tickled if someone could recommend me obscure blues-driven prog aggressive enough to get the old fists pumping, and complex enough to reward with repeated listeningsTongue

Lots of 70's Australian prog kinda fits this category, and not too many of the bands are on PA. I am thinking THE MASTER'S APPRENTICES, KAHVAS JUTE,  SPECTRUM and ZOOT, bands that are all mentioned in Ronald Couture's "Essential Mini-guide To Progressive Rock" that are not in PA, and other bands like FRATERNITY (Bon Scott's band before AC/DC), TAMAM SHUD, COLOURED BALLS (and some of COLOURED BALLS' guitarist Lobby LOYDE's solo output) to name a few.

There is almost an Australian prog sound that is a result of the relative isoaltion from the rest of the world that I have not been able to pin a label to. I am thinking that "blues-driven aggresive prog" may be very close to a good description. And this description does not fit for groups like SEBASTIAN HARDIE or RAINBOW THEATRE, if these are examples of Australian prog you may have come across in your prog journey.

If you can pick up a copy of this compilation you might get a bit of an insight into the that sound I am talking about...

...which appears to be back in print at Raven Rocords ... www.ravenrecords.com.au

Aztec Music ... www.aztecmusic.net ... has embarked on a bit of a mission to re-issue some of the classic Aussie prog (and other) albums, so it is becoming a bit more available.

Feel free to discuss! Wink

...and I voted for the second option

Edited by T.Rox - July 26 2007 at 11:13
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Okocha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 09:55
Search <Aperanta Horafia> or <Απεραντα Χωραφια> in greek by Kostas Tournas...Greek prog.Listen to it and you will remember me!!!

Edited by Okocha - July 27 2007 at 14:08
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 09:47
...and that's no accident my friend.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>