Posted By: ROCK GOD
Subject: best metal groups
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 16:19

good metal gods any one like them?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: StarshipTrooper
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 16:22
My favorite band of all time were Deep Purple Mk2 but I really hate the term of heavy metal being tagged onto them. I call them more Heavy Rock but then i suppose its only words.

-------------

Posted By: Jeremy Bender
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 16:23

Mine vote goes to Metallica!

2nd: Led Zeppelin

3th: Black Sabbath/Deep Purple.......dilemma......

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 16:57

I don't know about Zep being a "metal" band, but they get my vote.

Posted By: Poxx
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 17:05
I don't see Praxis or Buckethead anywhere. By the way, Led Zeppelin, Joe Satriani, Nirvana and Guns 'n Roses amongst others, is not metal.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 17:24

I like:

1.lostprophets

2.slayer

3.metallica

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 17:26
as most of thesen bands are not metal, I'm not voting.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tony
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 17:56
Opeth!!

Posted By: Entropia
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 18:23
What the hell is Lost Prophets doing in that list

Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 18:25
MEGADETH???

-------------
there is no spoon...

Posted By: Ben2112
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 18:44
EUROPE!!!!!!!

Worst...poll...ever.

Posted By: Deathinition
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 18:57
There's only 2 or 3 metal bands...

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 04:53
Another Metal Poll

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 09:09
Metallica

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: January 01 2008 at 10:06
Led Zeppellin (not metal)
(Deep Purple(not metal)
Black Sabbath
Ronnie James Dio

What hell are doing lostprophets in the poll?

Date Posted: January 01 2008 at 11:31
Ok, first of all, 1/2 of those bands aren't metal.
My vote goes to Yngwie Malmsteen from the list.

Posted By: zicIy
Date Posted: January 02 2008 at 04:50
Black Sabbath

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: January 02 2008 at 09:37
Hey dude this is a PROG ARCHIVES not a hard/heavy metal site. Anyway i like all the bands from here. I voted for AC/DC, great band.

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: January 04 2008 at 10:48
Motorhead!

The first single I ever bought (Please Don't Touch with Girlschool).

The loudest band I have ever seen - couldn't hear properly for a week.

The only band I make a point of going to see every year.

Motorhead rock!

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 04 2008 at 18:13
the grandfathers of Metal are High Tide

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: January 04 2008 at 18:28
What are we playing here? Who can find the oldest poll of unrelated bands? I vote Warhorse. Wacko

-------------
What?

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: January 05 2008 at 04:40
I love metal, but I don't like any of those artists...

So I'm going to say maudlin of the Well and go away.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Posted By: Exodizer
Date Posted: January 06 2008 at 02:25
I like metal and while classic metal stuff is alright there's better stuff now. Thought Chamber owns every band on that list. (and you're missing a couple things actually quite a few and hair metal isn't really metal at all it's just bubble gum)

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 15:44
I can't choose from that list - there are so many that are amazing and still blow away most modern metal bands.

AC/DC - I've never really accepted them as metal, but they show the world how to ROCK. No-one rocks harder than AC/DC, and "Highway to Hell" and "Back in Black" are 2 of the greatest albums ever made.

Sabbath - said to have invented metal, but didn't. Nevertheless, got the whole "cult" thing going in metal - along with Zeppelin, who weren't averse to cult rumours either - especially Page.

Motorhead - redefined heavy metal to suit themselves. The ultimate headbangers of the decade from 1975-1985... well, OK, thrash came along in '82/83 and made them sound slow - but "On Parole" is still one of the most brutal albums ever recorded.

Priest - if it wasn't for them, thrash might never have existed, Metallica might never have brought the harder side of metal to popularity, and the whole metal scene now would still be underground.

Metallica. 'nuff said. Revitalised, PROGRESSED and re-invented metal more than anyone ever period.

Nirvana. WTF?

Slayer - oh yes, thrash Gods.

Dio - greatest rock singer ever... after Freddie Mercury.

Could go on, and on, and... but missing Napalm Death, among several dozen others... peculiar list.

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 15:48
from the list.. the Priest, people, the Priest  ..in fact it's not even close

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 15:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I was never too convinced by the squeaky voice...

/ends leg pull Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 15:56
LOL

some of his solo stuff ain't bad

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

/ends leg pull Tongue

Warning:  Politically incorrect homophobe comment:  As a teenager I thought that Judas Priest and Rob Halford were the coolest band on earth.  It was quite the shock to the system to find out that the singer of Hell Bent for Leather was gay.  It just could not be.  Learned quite a life lesson there.

-------------

Posted By: bizarro laplace
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

/ends leg pull Tongue

Warning:  Politically incorrect homophobe comment:  As a teenager I thought that Judas Priest and Rob Halford were the coolest band on earth.  It was quite the shock to the system to find out that the singer of Hell Bent for Leather was gay.  It just could not be.  Learned quite a life lesson there.

was the life lesson that metal was made for and by leather-cap adorned rock divas singing about thinly-veiled homosexual activity? ;P

I noticed the message about Sabbath not being the first metal band - so what was the first album which fit all the metal criteria?

-------------
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=iamnhnia">

# for band in doom:
# if indiekids(band): addband(band, "Post Metal")

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by bizarro laplace bizarro laplace wrote:

/ends leg pull Tongue

was the life lesson that metal was made for and by leather-cap adorned rock divas singing about thinly-veiled homosexual activity? ;P

For - No.  By - Maybe.  But moreso the cliche to not judge a book by its cover.  A teenager me conversation:  Dude, why are you listening to Elton John?  He is so gay.  Here listen to Judas Priest this is a man's music.  AR AR AR (attempt at Tim Allen man grunt).  Turns out there were more similiarities between the two than I would have believed. 

-------------

Posted By: RKS1987
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 01:11
Originally posted by bizarro laplace bizarro laplace wrote:

/ends leg pull Tongue

I noticed the message about Sabbath not being the first metal band - so what was the first album which fit all the metal criteria?
Heavy Load - Full Speed At High Level Its more metal than anything judas priest or motorhead had done up to that point its too bad most people haven't heard it.

-------------
As there was no venture capital involved, the operation was fairly modest in its beginnings. We lived in a cave, and records were kept in encrypted cuneiform on tree leaves hidden inside snake pits.

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 01:38
Is someone that knows going to answer  biazzaro laplaces's question? I've looked long and hard through books, the web and magazines, have not been able to find anything that disputes the fact Sabbath invented heavy metal.

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 01:54

Sabbath - said to have invented metal, but didn't.

Oh no, you don't think The Beatles invented metal do you...?! Dead

-------------

Posted By: superprog
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 02:25
strange list of choices but anyways i vote Sabbath!!! metal is EVIL and they always exemplified that tho in reality they were pussies who kept sayin they weren't satanic bwahahahah......just a buncha brummie lads eh???

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 03:00

Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 03:16
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Is someone that knows going to answer  biazzaro laplaces's question? I've looked long and hard through books, the web and magazines, have not been able to find anything that disputes the fact Sabbath invented heavy metal.

Sabbath certainly invented a form of heavy metal that was much imitated and still has huge influence, and that could be thought of as 'inventing' modern metal, the total vision   ..but many cite the other usual suspects; Blue Cheer, High Tide, Zeppelin, etc

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 03:30
   weird list, more than half of it is not even metal - anyway I would vote as best Iron Maiden. Queensryche and Black Sabbath are close behind.

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 04:04

Zeppelin, etc

Not sure if they invented metal in the one year they existed before the Black Sabbath album...

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 05:41
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Zeppelin, etc

Not sure if they invented metal in the one year they existed before the Black Sabbath album...
I think they were too busy copying Jeff Beck Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 06:25

Anyone else agree after And Justice For All.., Metallica produced nothing worth listening too?

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 08:36

Sabbath certainly invented a form of heavy metal that was much imitated and still has huge influence, and that could be thought of as 'inventing' modern metal, the total vision   ..but many cite the other usual suspects; Blue Cheer, High Tide, Zeppelin, etc

Blue Cheer are top of my list - although they really invented the whole "Goes to 11" thing. Spooky Tooth are worthy pre-Zeppelin contenders, as are, possibly, Vanilla Fudge, Cream and - even earlier - the Kinks effectively brought the riff to its potential. Motorhead's style can be heard in The Pink Fairies (and Twink before them), and also MC5 and the Stooges to some extent - and yes, the Beatles.

Pink Floyd also appear in the proto-metal roll-call, especially with tracks like "Careful with That Axe Eugene", Beck/Yardbirds has already been mentioned, and there are stylistic similarites in the music of the Small Faces, The Troggs and the Zombies.

High Tide are an obvious case, as are Bakerloo, Warhorse, Focus and a number of other early heavy prog bands.

For me, though, the great overlooked are the Scorpions. What M Schenker and UJR particularly brought to metal is immeasurable.

It'd be cool to investigate this area thoroughly - the above is just top-of-the-head stuff, so may be incomplete and, gulp, inaccurate Embarrassed

Anyone else agree after And Justice For All.., Metallica produced nothing worth listening too?

Not really - the self-titled "Black Album" is a very worthy if extremely (and surprisingly) commercial collection of very good metal songs. Everything after that is rubbish, IMO, but obviously, the stuff before that is pure Prog Metal in the truest sense.

Here's an article that I used many moons ago for research - I haven't read it for a while, but it's extremely good: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html - http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html

Watch out for inaccuracies and red herrings Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 09:44
I thought that Steppenwolf invented "heavy metal" with "heavy metal thunder".  Actually though, I've personally considered the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" to be the first metal song, although there are probably other earlier songs that would fit the bill.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 17:25

^Born To Be Wild was released in 1968, wasn't it? I'm not sure that Steppenwolf were referring to the music when they wrote that...

Helter Skelter certainly has a good riff - but the Kinks, Cream, Troggs and Hendrix were all riffing before that.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 17:32
^ Yes.  Born to Be Wild was released in 1968.  Same year as Helter Skelter.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 19:11
DIO i guess.. I love is voice.

Posted By: Jshutt64
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 20:39
Well of the mentioned bands, I went with Zeppelin. One of my favorite bands of all time. I don't really consider them metal, though.

In actual metal, I really enjoy female-fronted. Interests include Nightwish, After Forever, Epica, Aghora, and Visions of Atlantis. Four of those are in the archives, even though I don't think they should be (except Aghora and maybe Epica).

Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 04:05

For me, though, the great overlooked are the Scorpions. What M Schenker and UJR particularly brought to metal is immeasurable.

It'd be cool to investigate this area thoroughly - the above is just top-of-the-head stuff, so may be incomplete and, gulp, inaccurate Embarrassed

that guitar tech discussion you had last year was great, and it touched on much of this...  I agree about Uli and Mike..

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:21

I thought that Steppenwolf invented "heavy metal" with "heavy metal thunder".  Actually though, I've personally considered the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" to be the first metal song, although there are probably other earlier songs that would fit the bill.

agree with Cert... I think they were refer to motorcycles... not music LOLWink

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:43
Zep, followed by Sabbath, rather predictably...Wink

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:43
Megadeth?

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: January 11 2008 at 01:41
Originally posted by Exodizer Exodizer wrote:

I like metal and while classic metal stuff is alright there's better stuff now. Thought Chamber owns every band on that list. (and you're missing a couple things actually quite a few and hair metal isn't really metal at all it's just bubble gum)

Are you saying Thought Chamber owns Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Metallica?

Posted By: Nuke
Date Posted: January 11 2008 at 02:11

I noticed the message about Sabbath not being the first metal band - so what was the first album which fit all the metal criteria? Is someone that knows going to answer biazzaro laplaces's question? I've looked long and hard through books, the web and magazines, have not been able to find anything that disputes the fact Sabbath invented heavy metal.

Lots of metalheads don't consider Sabbath to be metal, but rather hard rock. These types are likely to consider Judas priest the first metal band. Priest invented a lot of the concepts we take for granted
 in any metal after them, such as the dual guitar attack, or the lack of blues in
their sound.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Seabury">

Date Posted: January 11 2008 at 03:02

Not really - the self-titled "Black Album" is a very worthy if extremely (and surprisingly) commercial collection of very good metal songs. Everything after that is rubbish, IMO, but obviously, the stuff before that is pure Prog Metal in the truest sense.

Here's an article that I used many moons ago for research - I haven't read it for a while, but it's extremely good: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html - http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html

Watch out for inaccuracies and red herrings Wink

[/QUOTE]

Even though i was born in 1988, i was actaully exposed to the early metallica records first, such as Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, , Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. The problem was with the Black Album, was that is was not bad (ironic i know, but i will explain). The fact it was not bad, compared to RTL or MOP, which were excellent, left me feeling rather disappointed, particularly after metallica had only just begun an outing in almost prog metal with AJFA, it was a big shame they had started to cut down on technicality and make the compositions more sparse.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk