Please Help End 35 Years of Mystery!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58199
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 09:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Please Help End 35 Years of Mystery!
Posted By: 70sMysterySong
Subject: Please Help End 35 Years of Mystery!
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 01:45
This is a plea for help to identify a "mystery song" that has eluded the attempts of both myself and my father for 35 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7PK0242Sw - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7PK0242Sw   (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12EIqnmNJQ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12EIqnmNJQ   (Part 2)

The song was originally recorded by my father on cassette tape from a Philadelphia radio broadcast between September 1973 and April 1975.  He believes it was in the winter and that the station was WYSP. 

After hearing the song for the first time, my father waited patiently by the stereo system for the station to replay it so he could make his recording.  Knowing that the song contained a lengthy drum solo and that his available tape would end before the song did he paused the tape at one point to exclude the solo and retain the piece's ending.  As it stands, the recording clocks in at 12:29 without the solo and it appears his tape ended before the song despite his best efforts! 

Part of me has not wanted to make this post, since so much effort has already been made on our part throughout the years to identify this song.  I wanted to make the discovery on my own.  The journey to identify this song has resulted in our discovery of a lot of other great music from the same time period, but at this point we're desperate.  It's time for us to know who did this so that we can possibly enjoy hearing the complete song.  We also wish to discover other works by this band.

Thanks for considering our request for your help.  Please understand that the posting of this (low quality) recording to YouTube has been done only for the purposes of determining the artist and song.  The video will be removed once this has been accomplished.  We're not looking to violate any copyrights; rather, we're trying to determine who the copyright holder is so that we may purchase their art!

If necessary, I can provide a list of the artists and albums we have already eliminated... but since this is the nexus of progressive rock knowledge I am assuming for now that it won't be necessary!

In case it may help, here's our best take on what the lyrics are (most debatable transcriptions in brackets):

[Edited to remove the previously posted lyrics, as the song has been identified and the lyrics are probably copyrighted.]

Replies:
Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 02:23
Hey

As I said on youtube, I have no idea to be honest.

Good luck.

Do you have an iPhone?
If so, there is a free online application (Sorry, can't remember the name) but when played music, it can give you the name, artist, album, year of release and an option to buy it instantly.

Good luck mate
-Joel

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 02:33
dunno what it is, but i can definetly tell you that it's pretty cool! :D

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Posted By: Tasartir
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 04:00
Wow! That's one cool song!
I don't know what it is though.

-------------
...Histoires Sans Paroles...

Posted By: Plankowner
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 04:17
My lyric search was to no avail... took every line and searched, nothing.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 04:22
This may wind up haunting you for the rest of your life.  What if it was some local band that never actually made it to LP?  But hey, if someone here can't help you with it I'm guessing you are out of luck, then may you find some other prog on here to ease your soul.Big smile

Posted By: Einsetumadur
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 04:49
I don't know it, but I think it is far too well-recorded and well-arranged for a demo of a local band.  Of course, it could be a very talented, rich and unlucky school band,   but with the full instrumentation of harpsichord, Hammond organ and Mellotron,   I believe that this could be a relict of some album sessions of a band that has issued some other LPs, too.

-------------
All in all each man in all men

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 05:07
marvelous piece-- there was so much prog at that time, everyone was getting into it.. but if anyone might recognize it, it would be someone here, good luck !

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 05:12
The vocalist sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I can't place him.  Of course, it could be/and most likely is, that he just sounds like another vocalist I've heard.  Cool song.  I wish you luck, as I wouldn't mind finding out who this band is myself.  I agree with the post above.  It's too well-recorded to be a local band demo.  I think more likely is that it was a band who released one album in the late 60's/maybe 1970 and disappeared into obscurity.  On the other hand, it could be from the long-lost Sex Pistols' first album.  Tongue

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 05:43
The music recognition Ipod app is called "Shazam" but it will only recognise music that is in its database so obscure Prog is unlikely to be there.

Posted By: el dingo
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 07:08
It's the most outside of outside bets, but you could contact the radio station themselves - they should at least be able to tell you who the DJ was if you can remember the broadcast date. Then it's just the matter of tracking him down (if he's still with us) and seeing if he can tell you. Not very helpful but it's the best i can do.

I've no time now so I've just played intro to first couple of verses, but it sounds a little like the last section of Echoes - but it's only a first listen so I could be wrong. Sounds really cool, actually. I'll play the rest later - unless someone gets it and the clip's removed of course!

-------------
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 07:13
Just another quick idea - probably 'cos I'm a journo. Maybe a radio or TV station might broadcast a short segment of it - you know, mystery band, nostalgia etc, that sort of story. Maybe they might not of course, but if you're that desperate to find out it could be worth a shot.

-------------
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 11:11
Zoldar & Clark?

They have woodwinds in their catalog.

Jasper Wrath?

I am thinking that it is an American band out of the Nor-eastern part of the US.

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 11:57
Wow, that took me back, classic obscure 70s prog rock, I kept thinking I was going to recognize something, but I guess that is one I never heard before.

I was trying to guess the band's orgin, the vocals sound American. The mid-west was full of ambitious bar bands that would record proggy albums on local labels. I look for records like that at garage sales and thrift stores.

i was also trying to guess the band's lineup, drums, bass, kybdist that plays flute?, one or two guitarists?, Almost everybody sings backups and harmonizes.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 12:18
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Wow, that took me back, classic obscure 70s prog rock, I kept thinking I was going to recognize something, but I guess that is one I never heard before.

I was trying to guess the band's orgin, the vocals sound American. The mid-west was full of ambitious bar bands that would record proggy albums on local labels.
I look for records like that at garage sales and thrift stores.

i was also trying to guess the band's lineup, drums, bass, kybdist that plays flute?, one or two guitarists?, Almost everybody sings backups and harmonizes.

Yup, I instantly thought of "Autumn People" , from Arizona I believe, and a band that Ivan is looking into adding here.  But I don't think they are correct answer. 

I have floated the question to two prog experts I know and will report any news. 

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 12:21
^ I think the vocals are wrong for Zoldar and Clark - though I do believe they are American - my first guess was Harlequin Mass, but I don't think it's them either.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 12:23
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I was trying to guess the band's orgin, the vocals sound American. The mid-west was full of ambitious bar bands that would record proggy albums on local labels. I look for records like that at garage sales and thrift stores.

I think two different vocalist sang lead, but may be guessing too wildly

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 12:42
I was just thinking, why would you try to take all the fun out by ending 35 years of mystery? Tongue

The mooses have informed me that they aren't quite happy with this, but the llamas on the other hand....

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 13:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I was just thinking, why would you try to take all the fun out by ending 35 years of mystery? Tongue

The mooses have informed me that they aren't quite happy with this, but the llamas on the other hand....

Mooses you say.....where's the squirrel?

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 13:38
It's "Circumstances" by Capability Brown, one of the greatest prog songs ever.

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Sadly if this is the band and the song it is not available on CD.

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 14:02
Right now, our album page http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19412 - www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19412 is listing two ebay items, one of them still sealed.

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 14:14

Clap nice one Moris ... I should have known that Embarrassed (but I'm getting old)

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 14:18
THANK YOU, Clarke2001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thank you to all who have listened and replied to this post!  If Clarke2001 is correct, this mystery will have been solved within mere hours of my posting!  (And Clarke will have my eternal gratitude!)

I had been preparing a very long response to the many replies here and every time I would come back to the forum there were more replies, then finally the alleged answer. 

I will bid on the eBay album but I'm guessing that seller is now going to see potentially more bids than he may have expected!

Thanks again to everyone!  My father and I are listening to the MP3 offerings here on ProgArchives and are VERY excited to get the album "Voice" in our hands so that we can hear all 20 minutes of "Circumstances".

Once I have personally confirmed that this is indeed the track, my YouTube video will be removed.

Does anyone reading this thread have this album?  Can others confirm this?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 15:06
Originally posted by 70sMysterySong 70sMysterySong wrote:

Can others confirm this?
Yes - it's definitely Circumstances by Capability Brown.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 15:34
After looking around and finding Clarke2001's review here at PA (  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19412 - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19412 ) , listening to other Capability Brown tracks, and reading Dean's last post I am taking down my YouTube video.  As stated previously, I don't wish to infringe on any copyrights!

Thanks once again to everyone here who participated in the hunt for this song! 

-Capability Brown Fan (Without Having Known It)

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 15:58
Great thread!

And we do have the greatest proggers around, disguised as Collaborators. Wink

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 16:04

Both links showed up for me as "file removed by user" in youTube and then my PC crashed. Angry

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 16:16
Clem:  I'm responsible for removing the links from YouTube, but not for the crash of your PC!  Thanks to ProgArchives, the song was identified within 12 hours of my original post.  It truly is a great site that has been built here.  Long live ProgArchives!

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 17:03
You're very welcome, MysterySong! For this humble collab, situations like this are the best possible reward for all of us that love prog rock and collaborate on ProgArchives. Cheers!

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 18:33
Clap > Moris

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 18:55
yay Moris, I knew someone here would figure it out.. we're the best, baby, THE BEST

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:02
Thanks Morris.  Going to have to track down that album now.  Way to solve a 35 year old mystery.  Clap

Time to put you on the Jack the Ripper case.  Wink

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:20
and JFK

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:23

yepper...   was one of our great finds and additions.. and was also put in the Xover team's obscure albums list.  Great album Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:30
^ it's one of Xover's obscure gems?  well bite me on the ass and call me Willie

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What?WinkLOL

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:36
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

What?WinkLOL
not a phrase you want to repeat in the wrong order.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:43

*Willumphhh!!*LOL

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:45
hahhaha...  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:45
...one does wonder how many pix Moris googled before he found one suitible for publication here... Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:47
poor wrestlers, always the butt of jokes

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:49
^ you would HOPE it did at least hahah snd wasn't sitting in his photobucket account like some of us have. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 19:55
micky, would you ever shut up?!LOL That was the only half-decent one I was able to findDeadWackoPinch

EDIT: Sorry, that was too much. I redirected the pic link to a photobucket account.Embarrassed

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 21:45

phew, I though this thread was the launching point of a 10 year conspiracy to "end" me

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 08:05

*Willumphhh!!*LOL

Is that  Sir Bob Geldof wrestling for Africa?Shocked

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:05

and JFK

Oliver Stone shot JFK from the grassy knoll.

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 14:00
Well, the sealed copy of Voice sure is receiving a lot of bids.  So much for .98c!
I wonder how many of us here are bidding against each other.... Confused

Moris... your image cracked up my entire family.  It's the caption that really did it for me.  Bravo!

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 18:09
Circumstances of Capability Brown a UK group and one of the best around but highly underratedWink

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 18:13
Originally posted by 70sMysterySong 70sMysterySong wrote:

Well, the sealed copy of Voice sure is receiving a lot of bids.  So much for .98c!
I wonder how many of us here are bidding against each other.... Confused

Moris... your image cracked up my entire family.  It's the caption that really did it for me.  Bravo!
There are other album called From Sracth is also good.

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 18:16
http://www.charismalabel.com/Artists/CBrown.htm - http://www.charismalabel.com/Artists/CBrown.htm  

Interest info

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 19:00
Please explain if you can't actually get your hands and ears on the music it could truly be underrated?   I believe obscure and unavailable would be the correct terms.  Wink

Or how about ceased to be a band many years ago but I still have really fond memories of them? LOL

Anyway, seems like your 35 years of mystery are up. Tongue

So, how do their two albums compare to the first Shadowfax album by the way? Big smile

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 21:32
So, a CD reissue exists, after all!

Further google-ing revealed:

Released Year:1990
Label:Virgin Japan
Catalogue No.:VJCP-2546

Virginrecords.com is useless, perhaps http://www.ccc.jp/english/index.html - Tsutaya might know something about it...

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 02:07

Or: http://www.hurricanerecords.de/index.php?XTCsid=c94de329a69c88848d05b76f6fb9c27e&cPath=1&search_word=capability+brown&sorting_id=&manufacturers_id=&search_typ=advanced - http://www.hurricanerecords.de/index.php?XTCsid=c94de329a69c88848d05b76f6fb9c27e&cPath=1&search_word=capability+brown&sorting_id=&manufacturers_id=&search_typ=advanced

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 05:54
So the question now is, do you go for the reissue or is an original LP a must?

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 09:36
Thanks for the extra info, guys.  So it's looking like:

1973/1974: LP Passport 98004
1990: CD Virgin Japan VJCP-2546
2008: CD [Digipak] Second Harvest SH 438

@Slartibartfast:  Guns 'n Roses really only had two LPs, after all.

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 09:47
It's always surprising all the old obscure stuff you'd never think would see the light of CD that has been appearing these days.Big smile

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:42

It's always surprising all the old obscure stuff you'd never think would see the light of CD that has been appearing these days.Big smile

yes is surprisingSmile

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 13:02

It would be interesting to know how much of the money is getting back to the artists.  We are not talking about the original record companies in many if not all the cases.

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 13:47
At this point I have both the LP and the Digipak CD ordered and am (im)patiently awaiting their arrival!

Please be careful about using the Hurricane Records website.  I ordered the CD from them, but their website thought that I was a previous user... whose order (from Sweden) appeared on my screen.  I'm hoping the orders don't get mixed up!

Interestingly enough, the Swedish user was ordering both Capability Brown CDs!

I'll report back when the items arrive.

As far as the sales getting back to the artists... not bloody likely, I'd imagine.  Enough time spent reading over at dgmlive.com will make anyone doubtful of this.  I'd be interested to learn who has the masters and if 2008 edition was mastered differently than the 1990 one.

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 15:52
Clap One of the most enjoyable threads I've ever seen

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:59

That would be from the album VOICE ... and it is "Circumstances, Past Present and Future" for the title ... I have to check the youtube link to check ... in my book this is a fabulous album and that piece is outstanding and is as progressive as folk can possibly get and not be "rock" ...

Also good is their first album that has a super nice version of Liar ... the famous hit song ... I can almost hear Nektar in there but it is very good and you can see where they really developed their own sound and personna by the time they did their 2nd album ... unffortunately it also probably killed the band!

It also has one of the best Hipgnosis album covers of all ... the beautiful pair of red lips that is zipped shut ... for a band that does some wonderful vocals ... I really think that is by far one of the most telling stories and album covers of all ... I wonder if the zipped lips is a comment on the band being dead by the time the album was done ... which would take away the irony, and basically say ... she's done singing. The foldout inside of the album has all of the folks singing with their mouths open but their eyes are shut!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk