Print Page | Close Window

IQ Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59434
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 00:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: IQ Appreciation Thread
Posted By: Roj
Subject: IQ Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 07:56
IQ and I go back a very long way.  I bought the cassette "Seven Stories Into Eight" directly from the band right back at the start of the 80s.  The rest, as they say, is history.

IQ have been one of my favourite bands for over a quarter of a century.  Other than a temporary dip during the hiatus of Peter Nicholls in the late 80s they have continued to produce quality albums whilst at the same time sticking to their prog roots.  Whilst described as neo, to me they play classic symphonic prog, although I appreciate that given their heritage as a standard bearer of the "progressive rock revival" I'm sure they will remain as neo prog.  I think they are worthy of their own appreciation thread.

My favourite albums by IQ are:-

1.  The Seventh House
2.  Subterranea (I'm really loving this at the moment)
3.  The Wake
4.  Tales From The Lush Attic
5.  Frequency

They have always been great live and I've seen them several times over the years.  I have a ticket to see them at The Met in Bury in October, so if anyone on PA will be there I'll see you then!! 

I'd be really interested to read anybody else's thoughts/trips down memory lane and I'll post again in more detail when I get the time.

Replies:
Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 08:07
IQ have been and still is on of my fav. They have replaced in my heart Genesis first period better than anybody. And still, they have their own sound. They have one of the finest singer and most important, a great talent to create some great songs. Only one average cd, "nomanzo", the rest is excellent! Clap

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 08:17
My Top 5 IQ albums are:-

1.  Dark Matter
2.  Ever
3.  The Wake
4.  Subterranea 
5.  Tales from the Lush Attic

I'm yet to purchase Frequency, but I will soon...

My first IQ purchase was Tales from the Lush Attic, in the early 90s, the Cd with the dark red frame (not the blue one). I was impressed right away, although I didn't appreciate properly until I got their then recent albums Ever and Subterranea, plus the Nine in a Pond demo CD. Once I got a wider picture of what the band was all about, I was an IQ-head in no minute.

Kind regards.

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 09:00
IQ is one of my favourite Prog bands. it's funny thing i ve been listening IQ whole week, and suddenly i see IQ thread Big smile . my all times fave album is Dark Matter , You Never Will is one of the best songs i've ever heard, i think i have heard it 10000 times ..Sacred Sound,  Harvest Of Souls epic is just briliant . then Seventh House is pure beauty , The Wrong Side Of Weird The is absolutely stunning .   Ever is also superb album .. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 09:14
I am relatively an IQ newbie.  I was an avid collector of all albums released on the InsideOut Music label, and my first exposure to IQ was either in 2004 or 2005 with the release of Dark Matter.  I have since picked up all of their studio albums, including Frequency which I have listened to twice this week.  I think that they are an excellent band and their music definitely hits the bullseye when it comes to the type of music that I like.

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 10:18
They introduced me to the whole Neo-prog genre in general. Discovering them opened a whole can of worms (Marillion, Pendragon, Pallas, etc., etc.)

While I find them to be more symphonic than other neo prog bands, they are my favorite in the genre. Dark Matter is (currently) my favorite IQ album. Yesterday my favorite was Tales From the Lush Attic, so don't expect it to be the same tomorrow.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: The Old Road
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:43
I think with Dark Matter and Frequency, they've moved almost completely away from neo-prog into a more symphonic style. It suits them well, these are two strong albums.

I dug Nomzamo and Ever out the other day and was amazed at how dated they sounded (those 80's and early 90's production styles are not to my taste).

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:58
I've yet to hear Frequency, but it's on my 'to get' list..

I've a lot of time for IQ. They have produced some excellent albums. I dont think they put a foot wrong in the 90's, and my fave IQ album is 'Ever'

Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by The Old Road The Old Road wrote:

I think with Dark Matter and Frequency, they've moved almost completely away from neo-prog into a more symphonic style. It suits them well, these are two strong albums.

I dug Nomzamo and Ever out the other day and was amazed at how dated they sounded (those 80's and early 90's production styles are not to my taste).

Nomzamo sounds much more dated than Ever. Nothing dates like terrible pop music from that era.Wink

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Wizbat
Date Posted: July 12 2009 at 09:16
IQ used to be managed by the owner of a studio where I was working as an engineer back in the late eighties and I,m sure that somewhere I still have some IQ demos on cassette and promo 7" records floating about as I,m a bit of a hoarder.
I always liked their stuff a great deal.

-------------
My Band. www.limeshark.com

BASS It is big and it is clever

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: July 12 2009 at 13:46
Subterranea is still their  best albums [i  didnt hear Frequency,yet but im going to get it in the next couple of weeks  ] 

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Proggy Pogo
Date Posted: July 12 2009 at 14:01
Nice thread broClap!  I can certainly vouch for Roj's early passion for the band, I remember him going to see them at The Gallery in Manchester in their early days and exchanging letters with Peter Nicholls!  Anyway here's my top 5 IQ albums:-

1. The Seventh House
2. The Wake
3. Tales From The Lush Attic
4. Frequency
5. Dark Matter

The Seventh House is pure class, one of the best albums I've ever heard by anyone.  I've only heard Frequency once as yet but was very impressed on first listen.

-------------

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 04:14
I've got "Dark Matter" just because of the cover art and 24-min long closing track, and for that time I didn't know they're Neo-Prog pioneers along with my beloved (even then) MARILLION. I was completely blown away, it had become my fave album for few months, and it's still my fave IQ album. Then I got first two albums on CDs and "The Seventh House" as digital download, later was "Subterranea", the rest is history, as they say. My top would look like this:

1. 2004
2. 1985
3. 2000
4. 1997/2009
5. 1983/1993

Posted By: natewait
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 10:20
I like IQ too Smile

I guess I'm more of a fan of their newer, more symphonic, direction because I absolutely adore Dark Matter and Frequency and have a harder time getting into their older stuff. To be honest, though, the only other IQ album I've really listened to is Subterranea and I've only listened to it once, so I think I need to give their older stuff more of a chance.

-------------
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: http://leviathanprog.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - The Leviathan .

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 12:30
That was some initiative Roj to start this thread. I don't expect it to become as long as TFK's though but who knows these words will be punished. And don't be mad if I'm not hanging out here as often as on our "own" thread. I hope we haven't lost you on TFK now that you have your thread Unhappy.

I'm not a big IQ fan even though I'm PA's biggest neo fan. Probably they are too intelligent for me Big smile.
But I will give my list of their albums in order of my preference:

1. Seventh House   4,25*
2. Subterrenea (like your top two, but the rest is totally different)   4,1*
3. Ever  3,6*
4. J'ai Polette d'Arnu  3,5*
5. Tales from the Lush Attic  3,5*
6. Are you sitting comfortably ?  3,25*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2,5*

And I still have to explore Frequency (my supplier did the same thing here as yours did with The Flower King: they didn't have it at the right time so I will have to wait a while) But I guess it will be on 3rd or 4th place estimated from what I've heard and read.

Can you give your list of all these albums (right now I only know your top 5) Roj ?

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 12:55
Dark Matter and Frequency have, undoubtedly, propelled this great band into greater heights, and I have enjoyed their music since the early days. I will never tire of hearing Peter Nicholls' voice. I imagine that they will continue making great music for many years to come, and I look forward to a very long thread.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Badabing666
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 13:40
This is great thread as I have been getting back into IQ recently having fallen in love with Frequency.  Motivated by their new album I have revisited some of their previous stuff and currently like them in this order.
1. Frequency  4.32
2. The Seventh House  4.24
3. Subterranea 4.20
4. Dark Matter  3.80
5. The Wake  3.50

-------------

Posted By: intensedaz
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 14:11
Frequency is a superb album , right up there with their best.

Followed by Dark Matter , The Seventh House and Ever

I also enjoyed the live DVD that came with Frequency and have to say Peter Nicholls vocals are faultless, you can forgive any singer a few bum notes in the excitement of playing live but this guy is amazing, as i said , faultless

-------------
Find a job you love and never work another day in your life

Posted By: Rottenhat
Date Posted: July 15 2009 at 13:07
I watched the "Live Forever" DVD yesterday. I must say that they are great musicians, but I think they do lack orginality. Too much late 70's Genesis and Marillion. And the vocals is not my cup of tea. Stil a band that is good on what their are doing in my opinion.

-------------
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs

Date Posted: July 15 2009 at 16:01
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

That was some initiative Roj to start this thread. I don't expect it to become as long as TFK's though but who knows these words will be punished. And don't be mad if I'm not hanging out here as often as on our "own" thread. I hope we haven't lost you on TFK now that you have your thread Unhappy.

I'm not a big IQ fan even though I'm PA's biggest neo fan. Probably they are too intelligent for me Big smile.

1. Seventh House   4,25*
3. Ever  3,6*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2,5*

And I still have to explore Frequency (my supplier did the same thing here as yours did with The Flower King: they didn't have it at the right time so I will have to wait a while) But I guess it will be on 3rd or 4th place estimated from what I've heard and read.

Can you give your list of all these albums (right now I only know your top 5) Roj ?

You seriously put Are You Sitting Comfortably above Dark Matter?!?!Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2009 at 16:04
Originally posted by natewait natewait wrote:

I like IQ too Smile

I guess I'm more of a fan of their newer, more symphonic, direction because I absolutely adore Dark Matter and Frequency and have a harder time getting into their older stuff. To be honest, though, the only other IQ album I've really listened to is Subterranea and I've only listened to it once, so I think I need to give their older stuff more of a chance.

Their vinyl debut "Tales From The Lush Attic" is incredible stuff, you should check that out.

The opening epic is one of my favorite, and if you like Gabriel-era Genesis, you should love that album.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2009 at 02:48

1. Seventh House   4,25*
3. Ever  3,6*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2

Hi Henk and thanks for posting.  I've been a little quiet the last few days.  Here's my ratings of the IQ studio albums:-

7 Stories Into 8 - 3.25 stars.  Great promise on this classic oldie.

Tales From The Lush Attic - 5 stars.  One of the very best early neo albums in terms of composition, if not production 

The Wake - 4.5-4.75 stars.  Brilliant album, I've always loved this one.

Nomzamo - 2.5 stars.  Proof that Peter Nicholls is essential to IQ.

Are You..... - 2.5 stars.  As above.

Ever - 3.5 stars.  This one underwhelmes me a little, but Leap Of Faith is truly amazing.

Subterranea - 5 stars.  Wonderful concept album, very atmospheric.  Strangely the epic is for me a (relative) weak point.

Seventh House.  Their best album.  Superb from start to finish, a masterpiece.

Seven Stories Into 98 - 3.75 stars.  Excellent renewal of this oldie.

Dark Matter - 3.5 stars.  Sacred Sound is as good as anything they've done.  Tracks 2-4 are good but whilst HOS has some great parts it leans on Suppers Ready too much for me.

Frequency - 4.25 stars.  Excellent album but with a couple of weaker tracks.  The better tracks (1,2,3 and 5) are absolutely tremendous.

So that's my verdict, and I'm sure many will disagree.  Don't worry Henk, I'll never stray too far from the TFK thread Wink

Date Posted: July 16 2009 at 13:01
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

1. Seventh House   4,25*
3. Ever  3,6*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2

Hi Henk and thanks for posting.  I've been a little quiet the last few days.  Here's my ratings of the IQ studio albums:-

7 Stories Into 8 - 3.25 stars.  Great promise on this classic oldie.

Tales From The Lush Attic - 5 stars.  One of the very best early neo albums in terms of composition, if not production 

The Wake - 4.5-4.75 stars.  Brilliant album, I've always loved this one.

Nomzamo - 2.5 stars.  Proof that Peter Nicholls is essential to IQ.

Are You..... - 2.5 stars.  As above.

Ever - 3.5 stars.  This one underwhelmes me a little, but Leap Of Faith is truly amazing.

Subterranea - 5 stars.  Wonderful concept album, very atmospheric.  Strangely the epic is for me a (relative) weak point.

Seventh House.  Their best album.  Superb from start to finish, a masterpiece.

Seven Stories Into 98 - 3.75 stars.  Excellent renewal of this oldie.

Dark Matter - 3.5 stars.  Sacred Sound is as good as anything they've done.  Tracks 2-4 are good but whilst HOS has some great parts it leans on Suppers Ready too much for me.

Frequency - 4.25 stars.  Excellent album but with a couple of weaker tracks.  The better tracks (1,2,3 and 5) are absolutely tremendous.

So that's my verdict, and I'm sure many will disagree.  Don't worry Henk, I'll never stray too far from the TFK thread Wink

Strange, because Dark Matter and Frequency have barely been away from my MP3 player for some time now. I rate Dark Matter as at least a 4 star album, and really am thinking seriously about editing my review to a five star album. Harvest of Souls is an incredible epic track. On the last two albums, Nicholls has demonstrated to me why he is one of the finest vocalists of any genre about.

-------------

Posted By: Lodij van der Graaf
Date Posted: July 21 2009 at 04:50
Originally posted by progrocker2244 progrocker2244 wrote:

Originally posted by natewait natewait wrote:

I like IQ too Smile

Their vinyl debut "Tales From The Lush Attic" is incredible stuff, you should check that out.

The opening epic is one of my favorite, and if you like Gabriel-era Genesis, you should love that album.

I think IQ sounds far more like early-Collins-era Genesis than the Gabriel-era.

Posted By: Lodij van der Graaf
Date Posted: July 21 2009 at 04:55
Well IQ is one of the biggest Prog bands in New Wave Prog scene. And my favourite album of 'em is The Wake. Ever and Tales from the Lush Attic are great too, but I still cannot get into Subterranea, I wonder why.

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: July 25 2009 at 23:31
Bump,

For those that are interested,  IQ review here.

../Review.asp?id=228386 - Subterranea: The Concert - IQ

I absolutely love IQ, though I think some times, their CD's tend to sound too similar.  Some time after I review Ever, I'll post more about this. 

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: July 30 2009 at 06:35
Originally posted by progrocker2244 progrocker2244 wrote:

1. Seventh House   4,25*
3. Ever  3,6*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2,5*

You seriously put Are You Sitting Comfortably above Dark Matter?!?!Shocked

I understand this question Jeff and indeed it requires some explanation. It's not even that I like Are you sitting that much (though it's good imo) but more that I don't care for Dark Matter really. And that's not quite easy to explain. I don't like the long epic (for such a long track it's not memorable enough for me especially compared to The Seveth House and Further Away f.i.) and none of the shorter tracks to be honest . Just Sacred Sound is good enough but no better than Falling apart at the Seams.

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 15:21
Poor IQ.  Kicked to the curb by The Flower Kings and Marillion.  I've really been listening to Frequency a lot lately.  It is in the 5 CD player in my bedroom.  I will usually throw a CD in in the morning and listen to that but then when it moves on to the next CD it is usually Frequency.  I am loving this album so it still remains in the CD player for the next listen.

Also, I am really enjoying Martin Orford's solo CDs.  The Road Home is excellent.  I listened to Classical Music and Popular songs for the first time today and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it fit in with the IQ discography.  With the album title I was expecting something totally different.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 15:22
Though my exploration of the subgenre thus far has been limited, The Seventh House is my favorite album from it.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 15:23
I just wrote a review of Dark Matter the other day:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=241784 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=241784

-------------

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 23:07
My 3 fave IQ albums are "Dark Matter", "Ever" and "The Wake", in this order of preference. I regard "Frequency" as a great album, too, something like a recapitulation of "Dark Matter" and "Seventh House": it will definitely be in my Top 10 of 2009.

Kind regards.

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 03:13
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Though my exploration of the subgenre thus far has been limited, The Seventh House is my favorite album from it.

A man of good taste here.  A damn fine album indeed.  Welcome to the thread Robert

I am going to see IQ in concert this saturday, at The Met Theatre in Bury.  It's a fantastic venue, fits maybe 300 people, standing only, and the bar is excellent too Wink.  And I'm not driving so I get to have a few beers while watching one of my favourite bands Approve.  They are due to play the entire Frequency album so that should be great.  I really think that most of the album is absolutely top class and I very much look forward to hearing Riker Skies.

Good to see the thread has had a bump. 

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 03:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Also, I am really enjoying Martin Orford's solo CDs.  The Road Home is excellent.  I listened to Classical Music and Popular songs for the first time today and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it fit in with the IQ discography.  With the album title I was expecting something totally different.

Hi Scott. 

Martin's discography is something I've not explored yet, though I have a couple on my birthday wish list, so fingers crossed Wink.

So I take it Classical Music.... is actually prog, as opposed to it's title?

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 03:33
IQ are one of those bands I discovered through this site in the very early days of 2004 & 'Dark Matter' remains one of my favorite albums, not only by them, but of my entire collection.

I've yet to hear a substandard album by these guys & still yet to see them live - I do need to get 'Frequency' though which is their 1st without Martin Orford (although if you check out the recent interview I did with him, it appears he was one of the major writers, yet garnered no credits...)

Further on Martin Orford, I'd highly recommend his swan song to the music industry, the excellent 'The Old Road'

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 04:07
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

- I do need to get 'Frequency' though which is their 1st without Martin Orford (although if you check out the recent interview I did with him, it appears he was one of the major writers, yet garnered no credits...)

Interesting point! I didn't know that. Maybe be that's why the latest sounds like typical IQ.

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 04:43
IQ were my third favourite band - Then the Flokis pushed them into 2nd equal with Genesis and Yes.
I disagree with Roj on this one here is my list
1. Dark Matter
2. Ever
3. Subterranea
4. The Wake
5. Seventh House
6. Tales from the Lush attic
7. Frequency
8. Are you sitting comfortably
9. Nom zamo

Having said that Are you sitting comfortably and nom zamo have FOUR outstanding tracks -
Human Nature. Nostalgia/Coming apart at the seams/Common Ground/Wuhrensh the rest is well below par.
Harvest of souls is one of their best efforts and 150% better than anything on the latest CD excpet the title track.....(If frequency had been extended to 25 mins - the latest album would jump four places !!!)

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 06:10

I've yet to hear a substandard album by these guys & still yet to see them live - I do need to get 'Frequency' though which is their 1st without Martin Orford (although if you check out the recent interview I did with him, it appears he was one of the major writers, yet garnered no credits...)

Interestingly Jim, I read on IQ's own forum a post by Martin where he was adamant the band actually retained some of the parts he'd played on the Frequency album, rather than Mark Westworth re-doing them.  Despite this, he still didn't get credited.  The band denied it though. 

I personally think Martin will be missed by IQ.  I think he's a fantastic keyboard player, one of my favourites of the modern era.  Whilst Mark Westworth seems a perfectly capable keysman, Orford has always had great presence, both when soloing and providing a backdrop.  I find he has great touch, warmth and feeling in his playing. 

The proof of the pudding will be when IQ produce material that Westworth himself has had a hand in writing.  Let's hope we don't have to wait 5 years for the next one Wink.

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 09:56

Let's hope we don't have to wait 5 years for the next one Wink.

Amen to that. I'm very jealous of you going to see them in Bury - have a great time Roj and let us all know how it went. Frequency is a great LP from a great band, whoever wrote itWink

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 10:06

Hi Scott. 

Martin's discography is something I've not explored yet, though I have a couple on my birthday wish list, so fingers crossed Wink.

So I take it Classical Music.... is actually prog, as opposed to it's title?
Yes, it sounds like an IQ album.  Martin sings on a couple of songs, John Wetton sings, and Mr. Nicholls from IQ also makes an appearance.  I  guess all of IQ's members made an appearance at one point or another on the album; along with members of Arena and Jadis.

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Let's hope we don't have to wait 5 years for the next one Wink.

Amen to that. I'm very jealous of you going to see them in Bury - have a great time Roj and let us all know how it went. Frequency is a great LP from a great band, whoever wrote itWink

Me too.  In many ways it really stinks being a fan of so many prog bands based in England or mainland Europe that can't afford to tour our side of the ocean.  I'd love to see bands like IQ, Pendragon, and Marillion live, without having to travel halfway across the country to attend a festival.  But hey, at least Britney Spears came here the other day.

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 11:11
Funny how Marillion is able to post short videos for all their fans to see. With new technology coming down in price, it is now possible to hook up your computer to your tv (or vice-versa, I'm still figuring it out) and watch streaming or downloaded video.
I can even see a day when a modest yearly subscription gives you access to high quality, virus / spyware / malware free video. Yeah, you'll likely be able to find it for free somewhere, but the true fan will pay for it. And if it's priced right, most of the freeloaders would.

Can you imagine seeing a Marillion show or four each year and saving your favourite.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: demelza
Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 14:05
I'll be in Bury too...and Cookie is back...hooray!!!

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 14:32

IQ and I go back a very long way.  I bought the cassette "Seven Stories Into Eight" directly from the band right back at the start of the 80s.  The rest, as they say, is history.

IQ have been one of my favourite bands for over a quarter of a century.  Other than a temporary dip during the hiatus of Peter Nicholls in the late 80s they have continued to produce quality albums whilst at the same time sticking to their prog roots.  Whilst described as neo, to me they play classic symphonic prog, although I appreciate that given their heritage as a standard bearer of the "progressive rock revival" I'm sure they will remain as neo prog.  I think they are worthy of their own appreciation thread.

1.  The Seventh House
3.  The Wake
5.  Frequency

They have always been great live and I've seen them several times over the years.  I have a ticket to see them at The Met in Bury in October, so if anyone on PA will be there I'll see you then!! 

I'd be really interested to read anybody else's thoughts/trips down memory lane and I'll post again in more detail when I get the time.

1- Frequency is my favor too. If you listen to CAMEL's " RAJAZ" you find the root of this album.( This is my idea)
2- If you listen to "Ever" you can find RUSH's " SIGNALS" style.( You dont list this album)
3- IQ is very powerful prog band. but every album of this band similar to other prog rock bands like Rush,Genesis(Gabriel era), Camel and.....

Date Posted: October 01 2009 at 02:33
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

1.  The Seventh House
3.  The Wake
5.  Frequency

1- Frequency is my favor too. If you listen to CAMEL's " RAJAZ" you find the root of this album.( This is my idea)
2- If you listen to "Ever" you can find RUSH's " SIGNALS" style.( You dont list this album)
3- IQ is very powerful prog band. but every album of this band similar to other prog rock bands like Rush,Genesis(Gabriel era), Camel and.....

RUSH? not too sure of that, anyway Rush ceased to be prog and became pop - after Moving Pictures!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2009 at 03:10

But hey, at least Britney Spears came here the other day.

At least it's not all bad then Scott Wink.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 02 2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

[QUOTE=Roj M30]

RUSH? not too sure of that, anyway Rush ceased to be prog and became pop - after Moving Pictures!!!

YES RUSH. if you listen to SIGNALS and focus on technicaly elements you got that. i agree with you : SIGNALS and POWER WINDOWS have POP-TOUCH and i dont mean EVER completely match to SIGNALS. but IQ get many idea from SIGNALS in EVER album.

Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 03:03
The Bury Met gig was fantastic!! 

A full rendition of Frequency was followed by some earlier classics.  Best of the lot had to be that they played The Narrow Margin, I really wasn't expecting that Tongue.  The Wake/Headlong as an encore was pretty impressive too.

I'll post a full review of the gig once I get more time....

Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 07:04
^ Glad you liked it Roj.  They did The Narrow Margin in Pittsburgh and I almost fell out of my seat.  It was great to hear.  I really liked the little Theramin thing that Mike Holmes was using on Erosion (assuming of course that they did that one for your show as well).

-------------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 07:34
Originally posted by Badabing666 Badabing666 wrote:

This is great thread as I have been getting back into IQ recently having fallen in love with Frequency.  Motivated by their new album I have revisited some of their previous stuff and currently like them in this order.
1. Frequency  4.32
2. The Seventh House  4.24
3. Subterranea 4.20
4. Dark Matter  3.80
5. The Wake  3.50
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I was introduced to IQ by PA and will be ever thankful for that. And I was lucky enough to purchase the Frequency enhanced limited edition for an absolute bargain price and can now also enjoy a live DVD.

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 10:05
^ Agreed, while I'm somewhat lukewarm on Frequency itself, the concert DVD is a great and absolutely worth the extra five bucks.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 02:53
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

^ Glad you liked it Roj.  They did The Narrow Margin in Pittsburgh and I almost fell out of my seat.  It was great to hear.  I really liked the little Theramin thing that Mike Holmes was using on Erosion (assuming of course that they did that one for your show as well).

No, no Erosion this time.  Other than the full Frequency album they played The Darkest Hour, the wonderful Sacred Sound (my all-time IQ no.2 so I was happy), Guiding Light, Narrow Margin, It All Stops Here, The Wake and Headlong ( another fave of mine).

When I get some pics sorted out I'll post a review of the gig.........

Posted By: Courtesy Flush
Date Posted: October 08 2009 at 22:28
"Harvest of Souls" makes me jizz in my pants. It is absolutely mesmerizing. 

Date Posted: October 09 2009 at 07:30
^ I've heard that if you umm. . . take care of yourself . . . you know, before you listen to Harvest of Souls . . . that you may . . . umm . . . be able to avoid that problem . . . last a bit longer, you know.

I'm just sayin'

-------------

Posted By: gulliman
Date Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:01
I like them a lot. My fav. IQ albums:

1. Frequency
2. Ever
3. Dark Matter
4. Subterranea
5. The Seventh House

I don't care for their early albums though - they were too much Genesis wanabes for my taste back then!
Albums with Mennel are not of my liking as well...

-------------
http://www.panto.ee/eng
http://www.cdbaby.com/pantokraator
http://www.myspace.com/pantokraator

Posted By: The Old Road
Date Posted: October 09 2009 at 13:27

^ I've heard that if you umm. . . take care of yourself . . . you know, before you listen to Harvest of Souls . . . that you may . . . umm . . . be able to avoid that problem . . . last a bit longer, you know.

I'm just sayin'
To be fair, it is a twenty minute track so he's not doing too bad!

Date Posted: October 09 2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by The Old Road The Old Road wrote:

I'm just sayin'
To be fair, it is a twenty minute track so he's not doing too bad!

Clap  Well said   LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2009 at 13:10
And without going into my personal habits (Wink), this extraordinary piece of music has been virtually constantly played by Lazland for some two weeks now. I've barely listened to anything else, except Frequency to give myself a break.

Neo prog at its finest.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 09:23
My alphabetical trip through my CD collection has brought me to IQ.  I am looking forward to these next few days as I make my way through their discography. 

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 14:06
I got into IQ back in about 83; saw them in Bristol (The Granary? and possibly at the colston hall in 84/ its all a bit foggy now..) i roadied a bit for a mates band who supported Pendragon in 84 & ended up with 'Tales from the Lush Attic' (the blue numbered version) all signed & after that 'Barbell is in' 12", then 'The Wake' And eventually '9 in a pond' double.. Sort of lost track after that but was given a promo copy of 'Nomzamo' with photo's n record company guff.. wasn't very impressed and they looked a bit naff.. Completely lost track for about 20 years (i knew they were still recording but was into other things) but have re-discovered them with 'Dark Matter' which i have on vinyl and Love!! i was always really impressed by them in the early eighties (but i liked loads of those so called 'Neo' prog bands at the time) & think they still sound fantastic which i'm afraid i can't say for some of the other bands still going/ reformed from that periodWink. Not gonna name any names cos (A) i dont want to offend anyone- its only my opinion and (B) certain bands 'work' really hard and put a lot into keeping their small but very loyal fanbase happy and enthusiastic and i respect that even if i'm not a great fan.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 15:45
1. The Seventh House
2. Ever
3. Subterranea
4. Dark Matter
5. The Wake
6. Tales from the Lush Attic

-Nomozomo
-Are You Sitting Comfortably
-Frequency

The last few didn't really impress me or make me want to listen to them much.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 17:16
Love these guys. Having been a huge Gabriel era Genesis fan, finding these guys was so wonderful. Great musicians and a lot of fun live. My favs:

1-Seventh House
2-Dark Matter
3-Subterranea
4-The Wake
5-Ever
6-Frequency

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 17:42
Didn't realise this thread existed.

IQ are a very important band to me. When I was getting disillusioned with prog rock in the early eighties up popped this band. I first heard them on Tommy Vance's 'Friday Rock Show' doing a session that included Gateway. I was immediately impressed as they were a band with obvious ability.
I picked up THe Wake soon after and within a few plays this was completely addictive listening for me. A prog band with balls and even a bit of a punky attitude.

I remember then getting very excited when I heard that they had a new album coming out called Nomzamo. So much so I went down to the Our Price records in town to check if they had it it in yet at least 3-4 times. Eventually they di but oh what a massive let down. Horrible jingly jangly 80's production and a very different weak vocalist. No Pete Nicholls no balls.

So I pretty much gave up on them and didn't bother with either Are You Sitting Comfortably or Ever which didn't have very particularly appealing album covers.But some time around 1997 or whenever it was I was browsing the CD racks and picked out the latest double CD by IQ called Subterannea. I liked the artwork and so had a look at the sleevenotes and noticed that Pete Nicholls was back in. Wonderfull! Bought it staright away and what a joy it was.Serious proper mature prog for the nineties. I could emmerse myself quite happily with the headphones on and shut out the world.

About a year or so later I had the privilege of seeing them perform the whole of Subterannea at the now defunct Astoria. What a gig. They even finished later than planned doing a full version of Gateway. To this day still one of my favourite gigs. 

Since then I've counted IQ as one of my favourite bands. Only ELP and perhaps Rush I would put ahead of them. They have never released a bad album (Nomzamo is just mediocre and the rest are good or better).Frequency shows they still have a lot left in them.

My favourite IQ albums:
The Wake
Ever
Frequency
The Seventh House
Tales From The Lush Attic

but really I can listen quite happily to anything they have done which is a rare thing.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 17:55
This thread escaped me, nburied under a lot of dross i suspect

I have to say Frequency is one of the greatest prog albums I have had the pleasure to hear! Do you agree with my review?

5 stars "The first atomic bomb was dropped on a military base called Hiroshima...."

"Frequency" begins with a voice over speaking of a nuclear assault. The intro is unbelievable! The impressive music is beautifully executed, Mike Holmes' clean soaring guitars, chugging riffs like Led Zeppelin, ambient sustained mellotron and keyboard pads by Mark Westworth, with expressive, creative drumming from Andy Edwards, the bass by John Jowitt is played virtuoso style as well. The vocals of Peter Nicholls are clean, inviting and uplifting, sounding somewhat like Neal Morse at times. "Frequency" is an incredible followup to 2004's "Dark Matter". This is marginally the better album of the two, though "Dark Matter" was certainly a very good album. There is more innovation and stronger compositions on this conceptual work. Due to the strong melodies throughout this album it is a genuine grower, and you are likely to love each track the more you listen to it, nothing on it is a throwaway or filler, it is all solid prog at its best. I heard it three times in a row and eventually succumbed to the fact that this, as far as I am concerned, is one of the most uplifting prog albums of recent years and I rate it as a masterpiece of neo prog.

Frequency is one of the best IQ numbers, with solid time signature changes and a positive sound with special effects and melancholy keyboards. Mike Holmes' guitar riffs are dynamic and the lead breaks are emotive and Pink Floydian. Nicholls' warm vocals spell out the main themes of the album: "Before I was undiscovered, When I was invincible, Nobody could kill the silence And probably no one will again, The future was unrelated, Alternatives all pursued, The lives that got separated When others were split in two." It is a brilliant composition and unforgettable.

Life Support begins with beautiful piano and sustained pads and then those warm emotional vocals chime in. This is so uplifting, and reminiscent of Transatlantic. The lyrics are reflecting on life's trials and how to overcome. The mood changes as a thunderous sound is heard and it builds to a crescendo then a lead guitar swoops over as drums keep a steady metrical pattern. Westworth's spacey synth is alienating and futuristic, similar to the type heard in electronic music. It is a lengthy instrumental and as good as it gets. The synths merge with majestic guitar leads. A very melodic motif repeats in various forms and locks into your head. It is absolute bliss when the band are in full flight. The wind effects are airy, ethereal and haunting towards the end. I adored this track the first time I heard it and it gets better with each listen.

Stronger than Friction, an ironic take on Stranger Than Fiction, begins with a melodic guitar riff, and the positive vocals of Nicholls harmonise about ways of living "until our worlds collide" . At 3:50 the heavy beat halts and an ambient mellotron soaked pad sizzles along as the vocals become softer and the whole song becomes a "turning tide" . I like the fast riff at 6:40 where the time sig changes completely again and the vocals are more aggressive. The sporadic bass and drums are off kilter and there is a lilting keyboard and ascending lead guitar break. One of the true highlights of the album and in fact the first 3 tracks are prime example of Neo Prog at its best.

One Fatal Mistake is a melancholic ballad, a gentle soothing sound that warms you up. The lyrics are encouraging and lift up the spirits; "Imagine all you could have been, Eventually you would have seen, The wanderlust, And all you dared to dream of, If ever you make one fatal mistake, You broke me, you have no idea, In darkness I see more than hear, Impossible, even I can say, Many would have walked away." There is always a ray of hope injected in to the lyrics that talk of how to overcome despair and difficult circumstances. The melody is very pleasant to the ears and musically there is a lot on offer here especially the transfixing guitars and keyboards.

Ryker Skies features thick buzzsaw synth and flowing acoustics. I first heard this on a Prognosis CD from the Prog magazine and it stood out as much as it does here. Once again the atmosphere is ambient textures of melancholy reflection. The lyrics are emotive, "I'm reeling, fighting for breath, Running on empty, A fortress carved out of steel, Black and surrounding, No other survivors, the walls without end, So where have I come to?" A very strong bass and drum beat with crashing cymbals kicks in. The lead break is replete with bends and pitched picking. The next section of vocals sound like Ayreon's deep robotic effect voices on "Universal Migrator"; "Welcome, hero, to Ryker Skies, Where all your hopes are stored, You can leave responsibilities in ruins at the door". The mellotron is ever present as the cleaner vocals of Nicholls take over with high octaves; a very nice sound and killer melody as the song swings in to full gear, "Get it knocked into your thick skull, It's really not that hard It's a cast iron binding covenant And this is just the start, There are insults and injuries, You've heaped upon yourself, But you play the victim, While you pile the blame on someone else". This track has some of the most memorable lyrics of IQ and the chorus, once it gets in your head, well you will never forget that melody, "So before I state my intention to live or die, I command your total attention In Ryker Skies." I love the way the track merges into a full blown keyboard attack. Once again a throbbing beat ensues like the machinated pulses of Ayreon. The acoustic flourishes are a lovely touch, adding to the very airy atmosphere. I would rate this as a proposed single from the album, as it is more commercial in sound, but this does not detract from the musicianship which is excellent throughout. A wonderful song.

The Province is a 13 minute IQ romp with textures of light and dark, moments of tension and release are present and infectious melodic verses. The style at times is not dissimilar to the sound of Peter Gabriel's Genesis. There is a heavy guitar riff that overpowers the soundscape after a time. The staccato synthesizer chords are fantastic as tradeoffs with guitar. There is a lot of acoustic work but it is well balanced by the heavier sections. There are many changes in tempo and mood and it progresses into minimalist piano and vocals at the end; "I cannot count the many ways cos' there's nothing real... before the wireless kills."

Closer is as far removed from the obscene industrial NIN song of the same name as you can get. It is a balladic song with positive vocals that are close to Neal Morse or Spock's Beard; "Slandered and betrayed, A character assassination, Watch the guilty fade, Now the work is done, Ghosts of early days, Gather round the later rivals, All parade upon the earth to which they're bound, Silent in their course, They steal across the icy stations, Words are useless now, They fall upon the ground." The song builds gradually until we get a majestic instrumental break with soaring keyboards and then a beautifully sung verse with powerful lyrics; "Hold on, when I'm dead and gone from you, Remember me as light breaking through, Stay strong, any time you feel you're lost, I will carry you back across". The piano motif becomes hypnotic toward the end repeated as guitars and sporadic drums maintain a melancholy mood, closing the album in style.

Overall, "Frequency" is the best I have heard from IQ, melancholy, with moments of heavy tension, and those soaring powerful vocals: this is neo prog at a virtuoso level and I think it's one of the albums of 2009. Accessible and soaring vocally, atmospheric and ambient musically. A masterful work of high quality musicianship.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 03:15

^ In recent years my favourite album. The only other release I would match against it is Martin Orford's 'The Old Road'.

Posted By: Roterstern
Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 05:34
I've listened just "The Wake", that's the only album of IQ that I got. I've listened it through many times and still I got an impression that it's one of the most boring records that Ive ever had. Perhaps my impression is wrong and I got the "wrong" album, so shall I try some other their works? Or they are all like that?

-------------
"Die Freude am schauen und begreifen ist die Schönste Gabe der Natur", A.E.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 05:41
Originally posted by Roterstern Roterstern wrote:

I've listened just "The Wake", that's the only album of IQ that I got. I've listened it through many times and still I got an impression that it's one of the most boring records that Ive ever had. Perhaps my impression is wrong and I got the "wrong" album, so shall I try some other their works? Or they are all like that?

From waht I remember thats a pretty good album. Maybe IQ just doesn't click with you. Maybe try a more recent album like Dark Matter.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 06:40
Originally posted by Roterstern Roterstern wrote:

You got the best cd, IQ is simply not your cup of Tea...

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 04:10
''The Wake'' does stand out a bit from the rest of their back catologue. I would not stop at that and would give Ever or Dark Matter a try at least before giving up on them.

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 09:16
I am listening to the live album Subterranea: The Concert.  I'm curious what people think how it sounds in comparison to the Subterranea the album.

Also, I was getting the album cover on Amazon.com to post in the What Are You Listening to Now? thread and I saw that Amazon is selling the mp3 album download for only $6.99 USD.  Well worth it given that you get 19 songs for this $6.99 price.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023GUXNS/sr=1-1/qid=1288102035/ref=sr_1_1_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1288102035&sr=1-1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023GUXNS/sr=1-1/qid=1288102035/ref=sr_1_1_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1288102035&sr=1-1

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 14:45

I am listening to the live album Subterranea: The Concert.  I'm curious what people think how it sounds in comparison to the Subterranea the album.

Also, I was getting the album cover on Amazon.com to post in the What Are You Listening to Now? thread and I saw that Amazon is selling the mp3 album download for only $6.99 USD.  Well worth it given that you get 19 songs for this $6.99 price.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023GUXNS/sr=1-1/qid=1288102035/ref=sr_1_1_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1288102035&sr=1-1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023GUXNS/sr=1-1/qid=1288102035/ref=sr_1_1_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1288102035&sr=1-1

Its a while since I listened to either CD but I always preferred the studio version although the live version is okay.

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: October 28 2010 at 09:22
I have a huge amount of time for IQ. Like many here, I grew up listening to many of the second wave prog bands like Pendragon, Marillion, Twelfth Night, Pallas, etc. All of these bands have produced something really special in their time but I think it's IQ that really captured the moment best back in the 1980s. The Wake is still one of my favoruite albums to this day.

I also have absolutely no problem with the Paul Menel era albums Nomzamo & Are You Sitting Comfortably. I like them just as much as the Pete Nicholls output.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: rod65
Date Posted: October 28 2010 at 19:41
How I've managed to be a member of this site and not notice an IQ appreciation thread until today is quite beyond me, but there it is...

Anyway, for me as well, these guys represent the best of 80s prog, the only rival in my mind being Marillion's Misplaced Childhood. I also find, probably like most contributors to this thread, that their more recent output has been uncompromisingly excellent. What I've been thinking about lately, though, is Paul Cook's drumming. I've noticed in a few reviews, that Paul's drumming sometimes gets slighted, but other day I was losing myself in The Seventh House, and found myself quite transported by the percussion in the instrumental break in "Guiding Light." Has anybody else out there been similarly impressed by Paul's drumming? And if so, what songs best showcase his considerable abilities?

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 01:34
Man, the "Different Towns" section of "It All Stops Here" might be one of my favorite musical moments ever.

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 01:40
Originally posted by rod65 rod65 wrote:

How I've managed to be a member of this site and not notice an IQ appreciation thread until today is quite beyond me, but there it is...

Anyway, for me as well, these guys represent the best of 80s prog, the only rival in my mind being Marillion's Misplaced Childhood. I also find, probably like most contributors to this thread, that their more recent output has been uncompromisingly excellent. What I've been thinking about lately, though, is Paul Cook's drumming. I've noticed in a few reviews, that Paul's drumming sometimes gets slighted, but other day I was losing myself in The Seventh House, and found myself quite transported by the percussion in the instrumental break in "Guiding Light." Has anybody else out there been similarly impressed by Paul's drumming? And if so, what songs best showcase his considerable abilities?
Cookie's drumming on The Wake ranks in my mind as one of the best peices of prog drumming I've ever heard.The guys a legend.Clap

Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 13:19
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Cookie's drumming on The Wake ranks in my mind as one of the best peices of prog drumming I've ever heard.The guys a legend.Clap

I've been listening mostly to the more recent stuff lately, but yes. I see your point. That is a phenomenal album all around.

Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 14:35
I have the Wake standard edition on vinyl. Could someone recommend me the special edition that came out 1 month ago. Is it worth it?

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

This thread escaped me, nburied under a lot of dross i suspect

I have to say Frequency is one of the greatest prog albums I have had the pleasure to hear! Do you agree with my review?

5 stars "The first atomic bomb was dropped on a military base called Hiroshima...."

"Frequency" begins with a voice over speaking of a nuclear assault. The intro is unbelievable! The impressive music is beautifully executed, Mike Holmes' clean soaring guitars, chugging riffs like Led Zeppelin, ambient sustained mellotron and keyboard pads by Mark Westworth, with expressive, creative drumming from Andy Edwards, the bass by John Jowitt is played virtuoso style as well. The vocals of Peter Nicholls are clean, inviting and uplifting, sounding somewhat like Neal Morse at times. "Frequency" is an incredible followup to 2004's "Dark Matter". This is marginally the better album of the two, though "Dark Matter" was certainly a very good album. There is more innovation and stronger compositions on this conceptual work. Due to the strong melodies throughout this album it is a genuine grower, and you are likely to love each track the more you listen to it, nothing on it is a throwaway or filler, it is all solid prog at its best. I heard it three times in a row and eventually succumbed to the fact that this, as far as I am concerned, is one of the most uplifting prog albums of recent years and I rate it as a masterpiece of neo prog.

Frequency is one of the best IQ numbers, with solid time signature changes and a positive sound with special effects and melancholy keyboards. Mike Holmes' guitar riffs are dynamic and the lead breaks are emotive and Pink Floydian. Nicholls' warm vocals spell out the main themes of the album: "Before I was undiscovered, When I was invincible, Nobody could kill the silence And probably no one will again, The future was unrelated, Alternatives all pursued, The lives that got separated When others were split in two." It is a brilliant composition and unforgettable.

Life Support begins with beautiful piano and sustained pads and then those warm emotional vocals chime in. This is so uplifting, and reminiscent of Transatlantic. The lyrics are reflecting on life's trials and how to overcome. The mood changes as a thunderous sound is heard and it builds to a crescendo then a lead guitar swoops over as drums keep a steady metrical pattern. Westworth's spacey synth is alienating and futuristic, similar to the type heard in electronic music. It is a lengthy instrumental and as good as it gets. The synths merge with majestic guitar leads. A very melodic motif repeats in various forms and locks into your head. It is absolute bliss when the band are in full flight. The wind effects are airy, ethereal and haunting towards the end. I adored this track the first time I heard it and it gets better with each listen.

Stronger than Friction, an ironic take on Stranger Than Fiction, begins with a melodic guitar riff, and the positive vocals of Nicholls harmonise about ways of living "until our worlds collide" . At 3:50 the heavy beat halts and an ambient mellotron soaked pad sizzles along as the vocals become softer and the whole song becomes a "turning tide" . I like the fast riff at 6:40 where the time sig changes completely again and the vocals are more aggressive. The sporadic bass and drums are off kilter and there is a lilting keyboard and ascending lead guitar break. One of the true highlights of the album and in fact the first 3 tracks are prime example of Neo Prog at its best.

One Fatal Mistake is a melancholic ballad, a gentle soothing sound that warms you up. The lyrics are encouraging and lift up the spirits; "Imagine all you could have been, Eventually you would have seen, The wanderlust, And all you dared to dream of, If ever you make one fatal mistake, You broke me, you have no idea, In darkness I see more than hear, Impossible, even I can say, Many would have walked away." There is always a ray of hope injected in to the lyrics that talk of how to overcome despair and difficult circumstances. The melody is very pleasant to the ears and musically there is a lot on offer here especially the transfixing guitars and keyboards.

Ryker Skies features thick buzzsaw synth and flowing acoustics. I first heard this on a Prognosis CD from the Prog magazine and it stood out as much as it does here. Once again the atmosphere is ambient textures of melancholy reflection. The lyrics are emotive, "I'm reeling, fighting for breath, Running on empty, A fortress carved out of steel, Black and surrounding, No other survivors, the walls without end, So where have I come to?" A very strong bass and drum beat with crashing cymbals kicks in. The lead break is replete with bends and pitched picking. The next section of vocals sound like Ayreon's deep robotic effect voices on "Universal Migrator"; "Welcome, hero, to Ryker Skies, Where all your hopes are stored, You can leave responsibilities in ruins at the door". The mellotron is ever present as the cleaner vocals of Nicholls take over with high octaves; a very nice sound and killer melody as the song swings in to full gear, "Get it knocked into your thick skull, It's really not that hard It's a cast iron binding covenant And this is just the start, There are insults and injuries, You've heaped upon yourself, But you play the victim, While you pile the blame on someone else". This track has some of the most memorable lyrics of IQ and the chorus, once it gets in your head, well you will never forget that melody, "So before I state my intention to live or die, I command your total attention In Ryker Skies." I love the way the track merges into a full blown keyboard attack. Once again a throbbing beat ensues like the machinated pulses of Ayreon. The acoustic flourishes are a lovely touch, adding to the very airy atmosphere. I would rate this as a proposed single from the album, as it is more commercial in sound, but this does not detract from the musicianship which is excellent throughout. A wonderful song.

The Province is a 13 minute IQ romp with textures of light and dark, moments of tension and release are present and infectious melodic verses. The style at times is not dissimilar to the sound of Peter Gabriel's Genesis. There is a heavy guitar riff that overpowers the soundscape after a time. The staccato synthesizer chords are fantastic as tradeoffs with guitar. There is a lot of acoustic work but it is well balanced by the heavier sections. There are many changes in tempo and mood and it progresses into minimalist piano and vocals at the end; "I cannot count the many ways cos' there's nothing real... before the wireless kills."

Closer is as far removed from the obscene industrial NIN song of the same name as you can get. It is a balladic song with positive vocals that are close to Neal Morse or Spock's Beard; "Slandered and betrayed, A character assassination, Watch the guilty fade, Now the work is done, Ghosts of early days, Gather round the later rivals, All parade upon the earth to which they're bound, Silent in their course, They steal across the icy stations, Words are useless now, They fall upon the ground." The song builds gradually until we get a majestic instrumental break with soaring keyboards and then a beautifully sung verse with powerful lyrics; "Hold on, when I'm dead and gone from you, Remember me as light breaking through, Stay strong, any time you feel you're lost, I will carry you back across". The piano motif becomes hypnotic toward the end repeated as guitars and sporadic drums maintain a melancholy mood, closing the album in style.

Overall, "Frequency" is the best I have heard from IQ, melancholy, with moments of heavy tension, and those soaring powerful vocals: this is neo prog at a virtuoso level and I think it's one of the albums of 2009. Accessible and soaring vocally, atmospheric and ambient musically. A masterful work of high quality musicianship.

No, it is one of their weakest since Subterranea. Some déjà-vu in this album. I only enjoy the balads.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 16:52

Let's discuss the overlooked IQ, the Paul Menel era. Paul Menel is indeed more confident than Peter Nicholls in high notes, and his voice is certianly more original than Peter's.

Anyone here ever heard 'Nomzamo', this is more AOR-oriented but it is the IQ album I return to the most often.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 16:59
Old school fan here...

The Wake, Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably are my favourite albums. I lost my interest in them with Subterranea and The Seventh House.

I must say, they blew me away in the old days. Now I don't listen too much to them anymore, but sometimes I can still get excited about the three albums that I mentioned, plus I think the debut album and Ever are good.

Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 03:40
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Let's discuss the overlooked IQ, the Paul Menel era. Paul Menel is indeed more confident than Peter Nicholls in high notes, and his voice is certianly more original than Peter's.

Anyone here ever heard 'Nomzamo', this is more AOR-oriented but it is the IQ album I return to the most often.

I really don't like the production on this album although some of the songs like the aforementioned are decent. No Love Lost and Human Nature are also good although I much prefer the versions on Forever Live which feature the 'unoriginal' Pete NichollsWink

Over the years I'v grown quite found of Are You Sitting Comfortably? A much more mature effort in my opinion although it is borderline pop/prog rather out and out prog. But I don't mind that and perhaps a comparision could be drawn to eighties band It Bites which was also in a similar vein.
The final song on that album Nothing At All is one of my very favourite songs by anyone and a great way for Paul Menel to bow out. Love the second verse:

Love matters most wherever it comes from
We see each other when our eyes are closed
Its not so easy living out of the shadows
It would break my heart if you broke the spell
Heaven is waiting and waiting is hell

Very talented wordsmith Paul but perhaps not quite suited to the world of prog I suspect. Did an important job filling in for Pete though and deserves a lot of respect.Clap

Posted By: chrijom
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 08:56
I think Nomzamo and Are you sitting comfortably? are great albums, yes I agree with richardh the production of that era sounds very different from the later albums but the music is still great.  The other thing for me is that these two albums were like two beacons in the fog of mediocrity.  Progressive music at that time was at an all time low, and as someone who didn't like Marillion (the great pretenders) who for my part were all fur coat and no knickers (but nowhere near as sexy), IQ of this period filled a much needed gap in this Prog listeners itinery - I grew up with these albums and they will always be cherished for my part - very underrated and often unfairly dismissed - great to hear fans giving them the respect they deserveThumbs Up

Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 09:11
I was about to make a similar comment, chrijom, but you beat me to it. While I actually do like Marillion quite a lot, I find IQ more interesting musically, and the Menel albums are no exception, especially when compared, as you point out, to the other music of the era. I've got no problem with 80s production sounds: I grew up in the early 80s and remember much of the music from that decade very fondly. Listening to Are You Sitting Comfortably? at the moment, actually, and thoroughly enjoying it.

One comparison that jumped to my mind while reading recent posts to this thread is with Rush albums from the mid - late 80s. These albums are also much and unfairly maligned, and for the same reasons as the Menel albums. But as you say, these were dark days for prog generally. I should point out with these albums that, even given the prog/pop orientation, the musicianship remains excellent and the overall sound very full.

Posted By: chrijom
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 10:09
well said - couldn't agree more.Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: November 01 2010 at 10:57

I was about to make a similar comment, chrijom, but you beat me to it. While I actually do like Marillion quite a lot, I find IQ more interesting musically, and the Menel albums are no exception, especially when compared, as you point out, to the other music of the era. I've got no problem with 80s production sounds: I grew up in the early 80s and remember much of the music from that decade very fondly. Listening to Are You Sitting Comfortably? at the moment, actually, and thoroughly enjoying it.

One comparison that jumped to my mind while reading recent posts to this thread is with Rush albums from the mid - late 80s. These albums are also much and unfairly maligned, and for the same reasons as the Menel albums. But as you say, these were dark days for prog generally. I should point out with these albums that, even given the prog/pop orientation, the musicianship remains excellent and the overall sound very full.
Wasn't 'Are You Sitting Comfortably?' produced by Terry Brown (or was it Peter Collins??)? On my remastered edition there is no production creditConfused .
Anyway I know whoever it was also produced Rush around that period as well. I think I agree to some extent although I did miss that raw quality that was on the first two IQ albums.Just seemed more 'honest' and in keeping with their music which was quite emotional and aggressive at the time although I like where IQ ended up on Ever which seemed to have the best of both worlds (clean but packing a punch)

Date Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:34

^

Terry Brown

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2010 at 02:29
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^

Terry Brown
thanks!

Date Posted: November 02 2010 at 22:25
I hadn't made the production link. Thanks. That explains a lot.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 00:49
My first IQ album was Dark Matter, and as a result i tend to feel that the new stuff is brilliant and the old stuff isn't really anything special. I happen to draw the arbitrary line at "Ever", for me the band really took off when Mike Holmes became the full time producer.

Then again, my first Doctor was Christopher Eccelson, so this thread is kind like being in a room full of Tom Baker fans.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 02:45
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

My first IQ album was Dark Matter, and as a result i tend to feel that the new stuff is brilliant and the old stuff isn't really anything special. I happen to draw the arbitrary line at "Ever", for me the band really took off when Mike Holmes became the full time producer.

Then again, my first Doctor was Christopher Eccelson, so this thread is kind like being in a room full of Tom Baker fans.
Jon Pertwee for me (although there must be some Patrick Troughton and Wiliam Hartnell fans in the houseLOL)

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 04:19
Jon Pertwee for me too Wink.

I've known IQ since the very beginning and my list of favourites come from all their eras.  However, my favourite three at the moment are The Seventh House, Subterranea and The Wake.

Just missed them recently at Bury when they played The Wake in it's entirety - that was a real shame.

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 13:48

Jon Pertwee for me too Wink.

I've known IQ since the very beginning and my list of favourites come from all their eras.  However, my favourite three at the moment are The Seventh House, Subterranea and The Wake.

Just missed them recently at Bury when they played The Wake in it's entirety - that was a real shame.

Pertwee for me, tooLOL

I've known them since the start, but, as much as i love the LPs you state, I actually think they have got better with time. The last two albums, IMHO, are their best.

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:06
Pertwee, Baker, Davidson, Ecclestone and Tennant are all wonderful. Smile

I do think they have gotten better with time, but The Wake, IMHO, is still a terrific album.

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:07
Davison for me.

I seem to have missed out on all the Neo prog thing in the 80s except for Marillion of course. But I don't really like Marillion and then I really didn't like them. When I first heard !Q's Lush Attic about 10 years ago I liked it straight away. Just a bshame I was not aware of them or mthe rest of the similar acts back then,

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:32
Hey...how about everyone post their favourite song from each IQ studio album?

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:50

Pertwee for me too, but Tom Baker is a close second and he has the added points that his first wife Lalla Ward is now married to Richard Dawkins!

I too like Are you sitting comfortably and Nom zamo - these two have real gems on them.
I also LOVE Dark Matter, I know Roj dislikes Genesis more than Floyd n Yes - thus his disdain for Harvest of Souls - A superb suppers ready appreciation track if ever there was one!

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:57
Anyway chaps, must say that the new Spock's Beard is absolutely bloody Marvellous -  superb composition , with some startling keyboards by Okumoto - just good from start to finish - highly recommended!

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 16:31
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I'll go first thenBig smile

Tales From The Lush Attic - The Last Human Gateway
The Wake - Widow's Peak
Nomzamo - Common Ground
Are You Sitting Comfortably? - Nothing At All
Ever - Further Away
Subterranea - Capricorn
The Seventh House - The Seventh House
Dark Matter - Sacred Sound
Frequency - Frequency

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 21:28
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Good idea. Here are mine:

Tales from the Lush Attic: Last Human Gateway

The Wake: Headlong

Nomzamo: Human Nature

Are You Sitting Comfortably: Falling Apart at the Seams

Ever: Leap of Faith

Subterranea: The Narrow Margin

Seventh House: Guiding Light

Dark Matter: Harvest of Souls

Frequency: has been Frequency but currently shifting toward The Province

Posted By: everyday
Date Posted: November 04 2010 at 08:11
'Tales .. ' is probably one of my top 10 albums of all time. Unlike most, I didn't like The Wake. Also, unlike most, I really like the Menel albums. Of the more recent ones, Freqeuncy is the best.

Date Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:04
Yeah, nice idea Tongue.

7 Stories Into 8 - It All Stops Here 
Tales From The Lush Attic - The Last Human Gateway
The Wake - The Magic Roundabout
Nomzamo - Common Ground
Are You Sitting Comfortably? - War Heroes
Ever - Leap Of Faith
Subterranea - Sleepless Incidental
The Seventh House - The Seventh House
Dark Matter - Sacred Sound
Frequency - Riker Skies

Rob, I love Genesis and absolutely adore Supper's Ready.   I really don't mind "appreciation" of a classic as you call it, but for me on Harvest Of Souls, IQ just went a little too far.  Don't get me wrong, it's still very good, but as such I tend to not listen to it that much.  For me Sacred Sound is the best on Dark Matter by some distance. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk