Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67803
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 02:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I love Prog... and Rap Too!!!!
Posted By: Black Rose Immortal
Subject: I love Prog... and Rap Too!!!!
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 18:50
Here is the thread for poeple like me that like prog, and don't feel that rap is the lowest type of music, In fact, I have more rap on my iTunes than prog. I'll stop now to say that Lil Wayne is not what I call ''good rap'', but there is sucky prog just like their is sucky rap and I don't see why lots of poeple here often say (not directly) that rap suck or that it's ppor lyrically and musically. Probably because most of you are American borned, American raised, ad think that Lil Wayne and 50 cent are the best...personnaly, the best lyrics I know are from rap song, mainly European/African Freanch rap, even if some american groups are good too ( Immortal Technique, Eminem, Aotp and JMT for example ). It's true that I prefer Prog, butI have to admit that rap is still my 2nd favorite music type. There's so much great rapper in Europe ( Oxmo Puccino, Don Choa, FF, Vaï, Haroun, Scred Connex ). I was wondering if anyone else liked underground rap in here, or every prog fans are sticked to prog, just like every rap fans are sticked to rap

Here's some example of Rap (I remind you in this case that i used the word RaP as it's original meaning ''Rhyme and Poesy'', not as its contemporary meanin '' Sexy bitches, Pimped Car, Guns and Drug dealin'' ) that even you , rap hater could see rap in another way.(it's french rap, sry that you can't understand the beaty of the lyrics, but trust me, he's not talking about bitches in the Jacuzzi)

Go to 1:25 on this one, that's great jazzy blusy beat

If you want to hear good rap lyrics, take a look at this vid, hes talkin about war in Irak, dissin Bush and so on.

Replies:
Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 19:12
I listened to rap a lot before prog. My favorite groups were Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest. I didn't care for much newer rap except for Kanye's first two albums, and early Eminem, though those aren't very new when rap is concerned.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 19:37
Wyclef Jean's The Carnival is the best rap album.

I also like Outkast.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 19:44

The zenith, as far as compositions go. Oh, the things you could get away with in the 80s! This kind of sample-based mania is impossible to replicate, given the way licensing fees skyrocketed once the 90s hit.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 19:47
I listen to a bit of rap, but only because one of the groups I hang out with does when we're chillin.  Some of it is OKAY, I would never choose to listen to it over rock, jazz, or blues

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 21:49
Great to see another prog/rap fan around, there aren't too many of us. I'm a Busdriver fan too!

I'm interested in progressive rap- though it doesn't exactly exist as a genre, there certainly are things that push in that direction like Canibus, Deltron 3030, Dalek, Bike For Three, Antipop Consortium, the general output of labels like Def Jux and Anticon. Some faves include Why, Deep Puddle Dynamics, El-P, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, Sole.

You've got to check for Mr Lif's I Phantom, that's a real favourite of mine.

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 22:37
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Wyclef Jean's The Carnival is the best rap album.

I also like Outkast.

I would have to agree re: Wyclef Jean's album. I also like Outkast and some of Jay-Z Embarrassed

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: CinemaZebra
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:26
My favorite rap group is easily Wu-Tang Clan (and everyone in it), and Biggie Smalls is a huge influence on me as well. As far as instrumentals go, I pretty much strictly stick to DJ Shadow. Here's some of my favorite rap songs (today):

One of my all time favorites:

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:39
Some rappers are sampling great music:

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Floydfreakinfan
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:51
Really going to have to look up Deltron 3030, the above track seemed pretty interesting. Have seen this album on lists all over the internet.

Posted By: MusicForSpeedin
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 01:00
People like Chris Dave and Robert Glasper combining hip-hop and jazz to make new exciting music.

I love underground hip-hop just as much if not more than prog. Pretty much anything Madlib does I really enjoy. Favorite hip-hop album is Quasimoto - The Unseen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHRz_4ROLQ -

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 01:14

Love those conscious rappers too- not just the old school like Public Enemy and Poor Righteous Teachers but also the new guys like NY Oil and Immortal Technique.

Also, Homeboy Sandman is about to drop a new album, The Good Sun. He's well worth checking out if you're into top-notch lyricism.

I bet some of you guys would also like nerdcore rappers like MC Frontalot, MC Chris, YT Cracker and so on. Imagine if Wierd Al became a full time rapper more or less.

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 02:25
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

... [snip]
I love underground hip-hop just as much if not more than prog. Pretty much anything Madlib does I really enjoy. Favorite hip-hop album is Quasimoto - The Unseen.... [/snip]

Good clip.  I have the Quasimoto - The Unseen Instrumentals album and like it quite a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 02:38
Originally posted by Floydfreakinfan Floydfreakinfan wrote:

Really going to have to look up Deltron 3030, the above track seemed pretty interesting. Have seen this album on lists all over the internet.

It's good from what clips I've heard.  I go to know that track because I'm fan of the William Sheller album it samples: Here's the Sheller track from Lux Aeterna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uclxW5WS-M - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uclxW5WS-M

Here's another rap track that samples a piece from an album I really like (uses David Axelrod's "Holy Thursday".

And here's Holy THursday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2OkMHvPXko - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2OkMHvPXko

What I've found is that a lot of rappers are sampling/ have smapled a lot of the music I'm really into these days.

-------------

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 05:51
My favorite artist/ bands are Public Enemy, Beastie Boys and Wu Tang Clan. Not really familiar with the genre though. 

Does anyone like De La Soul? I still have to listen to them.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 06:33
In my opinion, De La Soul are one of the great rap groups of all time.

Three Feet High And Rising
De La Soul Is Dead
Buhloone Mindstate
Stakes Is High
The Grind Date

Classics all.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 09:33
Some suggestions :

- Beastie Boys' 'Paul's Boutique',
- P.O.S.' 'never better',
- AntiPop Consortium's 'tragic epilogue',
- The Avalanches' since I left you',
- Clouddead's 'self-titled album',
- Boom bip & doesone's 'circle,
- Dälek's 'absence',
- Cypress Hill's 'III : temples of boom',
- Kill the vultures' 'the careless flame',
- Mobb Deep's 'the infamous',
- Nas' 'illmatic',
- Outkast's 'aquemini',
- Sage Francis' 'a healthy distrust',
- Viktor Vaughn's 'vaudeville villain',
- Wu-Tang Clan's 'enter the Wu-Tang (36 chambers)'

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Progist
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 11:29
Some good choices on that list lucas, I particularly like Illmatic as an album. I prefer the first 2 Cypress Hill albums to Temples of Boom though, Black Sunday in particular is a mind-blowing record!!! Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" is well worth a listen too! Cool

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 11:48
you're right the lowest form of music is either punk, or what some people are tagging "dubstep" which i don't get because it isnt dub and the only thing i'd step on is one of the albums, anyone whos aware what it is which i'm not but as far as i can make out it's music where you can only listen too it if the whole pitch takes place below 20 hz can only be played out of your bowels and, well i'm just ranting now...

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 12:41
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

you're right the lowest form of music is either punk, or what some people are tagging "dubstep" which i don't get because it isnt dub and the only thing i'd step on is one of the albums, anyone whos aware what it is which i'm not but as far as i can make out it's music where you can only listen too it if the whole pitch takes place below 20 hz can only be played out of your bowels and, well i'm just ranting now...
I was in a hardcore punk band. It is a lot harder than you think it is to make that type of music. I would dare to say it is harder than most intricate music within prog because it is so much more subtle in punk and hardcore when you throw in odd meters because everything is happening so fast it just sounds like noise.

To keep this post relevant to the topic here is a video of Ras G & The Afrikan Space Program

There is also a Frank Zappa tribute hip-hop album by Manz and Mr. Fantaztix called Hot Trax. Pretty amazing using such tracks as Fancy Peaches and March of the Yellow Fins.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 12:50
Hi,

I'm not silly enough to think there is nothing really good in rap. But I do think that almost all of the stuff listed at USA Today is just commercial crap that has as much to do with rap as it does the money that it is making! ... in other words ... it doesn't!

And some of it, is downright over hyped stuff that is not that good, but gets by because of a label or a name or some excuse that makes it great.

I much prefer the way a lot of rap is used, and you can find it in some Steve Hillage stuff, Riuichi Sakamoto , and so many others out there, where rap is given a better background than the hatred and the discrimination and the commercial attitude that is mostly associated with in America. The majority of it is not even poetic although some think that because two words rhyme that it makes it rap! ... it's easy. get a computer and a dictionary and you can get as many rhymes as you can possibly want!  Takes lots of talent!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 12:53
I'm forced to listen to one of our urban radio stations at work quite often and one thing that strikes me is that most of hip-hop/rap these days sounds the same. I don't know if it is the programming or playlist but I don't hear any originality in it. The vocals are run through envelopes. I wouldn't pick hip-hop or rap over rock,blues,prog or jazz. I'd only listen to it if my other choice was country.

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I wouldn't pick hip-hop or rap over rock,blues,prog or jazz. I'd only listen to it if my other choice was country.

apparently you never heard guy clark, allan willis ramsey, willie nelson, steve earle, lyle lovett, waylon jennings, townes van zandt, johnny cash, hank III (who also released a metalcore album with his project 'assjack'), new grass revival, albert lee (released a jazz-rock album 'speechless' with Chad Wackerman on drums), marcel dadi, mark o'connor (played with dixie dregs), new riders of the purple sage, pure prairie league and other fantastic country representatives.

There is a lot to like in country rock, believe me.

-------------

Posted By: Xanatos
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 16:02
Jazz-rap rocks! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eh16a7n_44&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eh16a7n_44&feature=related

Posted By: Xanatos
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 16:02
Is not a rick roll XD i promise

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 16:03
Originally posted by Xanatos Xanatos wrote:

Jazz-rap rocks! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eh16a7n_44&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eh16a7n_44&feature=related
If you like Jazz-Rap, I highly recommend A Tribe Called Quest.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 16:38
^
what about Death Rap :

and Hardcore Rap :

(this band is in PA)

-------------

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 16:42
Im a fan of hip hop and prog also
some of my faves:
A tribe called quest
De la soul
Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
Gang Starr
Digable Planets
Common Sense
The Roots
People Under The Stairs
Little Brother
Murs
Blackstar
The Pharcyde
Eric B & Rakim
Jungle Brothers
Mos Def
Talib Kweli & High Tek
Deltron 3030 / Del
Handsomeboy Modeling School
Guru/Jazzmataz - Great Jazz fusin Hip Hop

-------------
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 17:31
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^
what about Death Rap :

and Hardcore Rap :

(this band is in PA)

Good stuff. But what about acid rap? Esham knows how to sample very well.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 20:11
Don't think anybody's mentioned Kool Keith yet, one of the fathers of alternative rap. From his classic debut with group Ultramagnetic MCs (Critical Beatdown, a must-have) to his more experiemental solo work (Dr Octagnyocologist is legendary) he's always pushed the boundaries.

I also really like a rapper from Boston called Akrobatik. He's not prog/experimental at all, but he does all the basics really well, a satisfying listen. Intelligence, wit, knowledge, good beats. See also Black Milk who also produces his own stuff.

For more prog related stuff, there's a rap duo called Look Daggers, half of which is Mars Volta keyboardist Ike Owens.

Also, to get back the punk vs rap thing, be sure to check out Never Better by POS, an artist who fuses hardcore punk and hip-hop.

Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 12:16
^
agree about 'Never better' by POS, a fantastic album.
Hardcore + rap = candiria as well (and they are in PA !!!)

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 14:52
I'm usually fairly open minded about all music genres, but I always have and always will loath rap, hip hop, and all similar stuff. I consider it to be an affront to music, art, and my poor earsWink

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 16:01
Lazland: "I am open minded about music but I will always hate rap and hip hop because it is not proper music." What a clown.

Anyway, I don't think anyone mentioned The Roots yet, up with De La as one of the most consistent rap acts of all time. They are known for preferring live instrumentation to production (they're actually a band with a bassist, keyboardist etc) and their musical leader Questlove is considered by some to be one of the best drummers of his generation. The MC Black Thought is no joke either, channeling the spirit of traditional greats like Rakim and Big Daddy Kane while also bringing modern concerns and styles to the table. In fact he's a rare case of a rapper who gets better as his career goes on. They've never done a bad album and their tenth, How I Got Over, is just around the corner.

Not surprised to see all the Outkast fans here, as they were one of the more musical and creative rap forces around in their heyday. But I also urge you to check out Even In Darkness, the 2001 album by their crew Dungeon Family. Usually crew albums are terrible but Even In Darkness is REALLY good. Outkast know better than to but talentless people on just because they're neighbours or old school friends and the Dungeon Family turn out to be well worth a listen. Among the many members is Cee Lo who soon went on to fame as one half of Gnarles Barkley.

Another prog related one, Coheed And Cambria fans may wonder what was going on with the departure of original drummer Josh Eppard. Well, hip-hop had always been his first love and after three C&C records he felt it was finally time for him to embark on a rap career under the name Wierd Science. Not for everybody but it's better than you might expect.

Other acts to check out-

Ill Bill is a more traditional street style MC but I like him because he always come with a tough, heavy sound. He draws a lot on rock rather than the usual source of hip-hop sounds, making tracks out of Dragonforce and Slayer samples (yes really) and has collaborated with Bad Brains and Soulfly among others. He's also Necro's brother but doesn't share his lyrical penchants. I recommend Bill's album The Hour Of Reprisal.

Edan is a producer/MC from Maryland who is alright on the mic but REALLY shines when it comes to production. The album Beauty And The Beat is fantastic and you might also be interested in his 28 minute non album instrumental Echo Party which should be a treat for the prog fans with its complicated and ever evolving structure.

Speaking of instrumentals, there's already been love for Madlib and deservedly so, but there's lots of other unusual producers out there that are worth checking out for people with an experimental bend. There's mainstream producers that use unusual styles like J Dilla and Timbaland also more "out there" guys like Nosaj Thing, Odd Nosdam, Prefuse 73 and Flying Lotus.

Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 16:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm usually fairly open minded about all music genres, but I always have and always will loath rap, hip hop, and all similar stuff. I consider it to be an affront to music, art, and my poor earsWink
Then why post? Anyway...while it isn't exactly rap, I forgot to mention earlier the instrumental DJ group The Avalanches, which have made some of the best music of the decade. And the best music video ever made:

Just...wow. Beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 08:53
my two favorite genres are metal and hip hop.

I don't have to mention prog, because it's self-explanatory: metal is progressive music, and hip hop is progressive lyrics.

-------------

Posted By: Nightshine
Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 12:04
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

my two favorite genres are metal and hip hop.

I don't have to mention prog, because it's self-explanatory: metal is progressive music, and hip hop is progressive lyrics.

Tell me you're joking.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 13:10
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I wouldn't pick hip-hop or rap over rock,blues,prog or jazz. I'd only listen to it if my other choice was country.

apparently you never heard guy clark, allan willis ramsey, willie nelson, steve earle, lyle lovett, waylon jennings, townes van zandt, johnny cash, hank III (who also released a metalcore album with his project 'assjack'), new grass revival, albert lee (released a jazz-rock album 'speechless' with Chad Wackerman on drums), marcel dadi, mark o'connor (played with dixie dregs), new riders of the purple sage, pure prairie league and other fantastic country representatives.

There is a lot to like in country rock, believe me.

I never said that country was bad, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 15:53
Some of the more fuddy-duddy not-actually-prog-but-nostalgia guys here crack me up with their "rap is rubbish" routine because they have judged it purely by what they've seen on TV or the radio without going beneath the surface to the progressive, poetic, underground stuff, EXACTLY what they condemn the masses for doing with other types of music. If you say rap is not progressively lyrically, then I'm sorry but you're just objectively wrong. Please show me the prog music that goes as lyrically far afield as Deep Puddle Dynamics, Aesop Rock, Busdriver etc.

Some more rap artists from the more poetic or slam-poetry end of thins I like are Saul Williams and B Dolan. There's also Sage Francis who's one of the scene's biggest stars so you might want to check him out, but personally I find that while he's a very intelligent and well meaning person, he's just not that nice on the mic. But a lot of people love him so maybe you will too.

Cool video of Aesop Rock, Slug, Immortal Technique, Poison Pen and El-P just freestyling on the street corner. It doesn't show them at their lyrical best but they're literally making it up on the spot.

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 16:00
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Please show me the prog music that goes as lyrically far afield as Deep Puddle Dynamics, Aesop Rock, Busdriver etc.

I take it you're not overly familiar with the surreal ramblings of Captain Beefheart?

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 16:05
I am actually. I take it you have not sat through The Taste Of Rain Why Kneel by Deep Puddle Dynamics?

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 16:11
I'll stick with the Beasties. Now there's a band that can do it all!

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 18:20

The Beasties are pretty weak as MCs but they certainly do come with the beats. Or at least did, last couple of releases were a bit off, but I'll check their upcoming Hot Sauce Committee.

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 18:34

'I love prog
and rap too'
said he,
'Well, if you do'
said me,
'Good for you!
'

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 18:49
Another interesting new rap act, reminding of the Def Jux sound but a bit different is Dark Time Sunshine.

Oh and to the guy who started the thread, have you checked out Myka 9 and Magic Heart Angels?

The Solillaquists Of Sound are pretty good too.

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 21:37
Eminem, Wu-Tang, Immortal Technique. There's much more good rap out there, but I'd rather spend my time exploring prog than exploring rap.

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 22:21
I'm actually more interested in rap in some ways because it seems less has been done there which makes it more interesting. Plenty of people have already attempted absolutely extreme mind-bending everything-and-several-kitchen-sink prog rock records, but the same is not so true of rap, though some of the artists we've been namechecking are hinting in that direction. I think the way is still open for an artist to come along and redefine the mainstream's conception of what rap is and shake off the gangster tag.

Mind you people were saying that about comic books and superheroes sixty years ago.

Date Posted: June 01 2010 at 13:41

Lazland: "I am open minded about music but I will always hate rap and hip hop because it is not proper music." What a clown.

Bloody hell, you're a right charmer, aren't you?!Angry

I posted because my opinion was sought on the subject, and I gave it in a manner which I considered to be perfectly proper, mature, and without having a go at any artist or forum member.

Consider yourself told off.

-------------

Date Posted: June 01 2010 at 14:30
ROFLMFAO

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: June 01 2010 at 15:39
Has anybody seen that video of Steve Hogarth talking about how much he hates rap?

Date Posted: June 01 2010 at 16:17
Laz: Sorry but no, "I am open-minded but I will always hate such and such" is an impossible position. You're not open-minded at all if you will always hate anything. Secondly, as others have said, why post at all? You don't see me wandering into Transatlantic threads to tell everybody how The Whirlwind was possibly the worst album of 2009.

Anthony: No, but I've seen Mikael Akerfeldt do it. Really heart-breaking too because I love Opeth.

Has anyone listened to a Detroit MC called Finale? I've heard a lot about him but haven't actually checked his records yet.

Ooh don't think I mentioned Why. Why are great, a bizarre fusion of indie-rock and hip-hop, really deep absorbing stuff. Though on their last album, they ditched the hip-hop element and went straight indie rock, to their detriment in my opinion as now they sound like a bunch of other people.

Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 13:43

Laz: Sorry but no, "I am open-minded but I will always hate such and such" is an impossible position. You're not open-minded at all if you will always hate anything. Secondly, as others have said, why post at all? You don't see me wandering into Transatlantic threads to tell everybody how The Whirlwind was possibly the worst album of 2009.

Fine - those are reasonable points. It was being called a clown I objected to - I found it absolutely unnecessary. If you had, instead, posted as quoted here, this conversation would have ended there.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 13:53
Lazland, you UK folks can make telling someone off sound like the Magna Carta!  Clap

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: elder08
Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 14:00
Man I think you should take consideration that people who say rap sucks are normally noting mainstream music and don't mind underground :D but anyways if this counts: Jamiroquai and Busta Ryhmes heck yes kid haha and RHCP if you count them as rap

-------------
"There are people who say we [Pink Floyd] should make room for younger bands. That's not the way it works. They can make their own room."- David Gilmour

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 14:22
I don't know anything about Rap but I don't get it. If its relatively related to rock, I can like mixtures of country, jazz, blues, old-style rock, lots of different era pop.... but there are a few genres I have only had a negative reaction to and they are all the late 20th century creations. Punk, Metal, Rap, Hip Hop, grunge, and everything influenced heavily by them. 

Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 15:52
Laz: Let's battle rap ;)

Posted By: elder08
Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 20:46
Originally posted by CinemaZebra CinemaZebra wrote:

ROFLMFAO

Dude your default pic made that look so funnyLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
"There are people who say we [Pink Floyd] should make room for younger bands. That's not the way it works. They can make their own room."- David Gilmour

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 14:18
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Bloody hell, you're a right charmer, aren't you?!Angry

I posted because my opinion was sought on the subject, and I gave it in a manner which I considered to be perfectly proper, mature, and without having a go at any artist or forum member.

Consider yourself told off.

whos the true clown? the clown, or the clown who makes fun of the clown? Ouch

anyway, i enjoy hip hop in small doses. As long as the beat is good and they're not just talking about money and hoes, then i can enjoy it.

Ludacris
A Tribe Called Quest
Eminem
Method Man & Red Man
Jay Z

there's more but i dont feel like remembering right now. i looove old school (80s) a lot.

i dont particularly explore the genre deeply, but my friends do, so i hear stuff all the time

i love when jazz artists incorporate hip hop into their music, like Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Joshua Redman, etc...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 23:49

A few more artists I don't think anyone mentioned:

J-Live- really interesting MC, I recommend The Best Part
Blu- same thing, I recommend Below The Heavens

both of these guys have some real grown up lyrics for a change.

I also recommend both Blackalicious records, real musical stuff, Gift Of The Gab is a great MC too.

Can't remember if I already plugged Edan or not, guess I'll do it again. Hint of prog influence in Edan's work too.

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: June 08 2010 at 20:49
I'll be honest.. I've fostered a <very limited> appreciation for hip-hop.. By that, I mean I think groups that had a message to their work is worth checking out (Public Enemy for example) and also the artists that incorperate different styles like jazz and funk into the mix.

Date Posted: June 08 2010 at 22:10

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 06:02
Just got a new record called I f**king Hate Rappers by an MC called PackFM. Calling out mainstream rappers for being wack is nothing new but this is a conceptual album dedicated entirely to that, PackFM speaking on how even though he does rap for a job he is pretty much nothing but irritated by most other rappers, their creative output and trends in hip-hop. Even opens with a hilarious skit where he goes to a support group for people who can't stand hip-hop and has to confess that he is a rapper himself but can't quit.
Unfortunately though, the album isn't that good- it's short and has quite a few skits. Same thing was true of one of my fave rap albums of all time, I Phantom, but on that album, the MC, Mr Lif, blazed like a supernova star lyrically and made it count. PackFM is a bit average by comparison. His heart is in the right place but the skills don't seem to be there. Still it's interesting to see a rapper expressing the frustration and dislike many outside of the genre feel.

I much preferred the thematically similar but musically/lyrically stronger Hood Treason (2007) by NY Oil.

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 14:20
Just finished Haiku D'Etat's self-titled album, and I gotta say it's close to a masterpiece. The rhyming is always clever, the beats are fantastic, and the cool flow of the entire release never lets up.

Highly recommended.

-------------

Posted By: Arrrghus
Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 10:50
Can I kick it?

Yes you can.

Tribe, they're the best, man. I saw them live. When they opened with Excursions, it was incredible.

Nas is AMAZING. Jay-Z has his moments (when I say moments, I mean entire albums of awesome). Mobb Deep. How can you not like NWA? Kanye is a actually a talented producer. Learned it from the man, J-Dilla (Donuts is the best album ever). Biggie's first album is brilliant.

Ooo!! Eric B and Rakim! They're SO good. Rakim's flow and lyricism is unmatched. Common has some of the best tracks in hip hop.

If you can wander through my incoherent list, good for you! Hip hop is one of the most powerful and accessible forms of self-expression, and should not simply be cast aside out of arrogance. It has much to offer for everyone (and yes, I said everyone. I have no doubt you could sample a country song or a polka song. It's probably been done already)

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 14:25
Listening to some Atmosphere right, good stuff. RJD2 is another hip hop artists i have been listening to alot lately. And some classics like EPMD and Souls of Mischeifs have been gettting alot of airplay on my zune of late. There is great hip hop out their people!

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 16:23
CZ: If you like Haiku D'etat, have you tried Magic Heart Genies? Another Myka 9 project, but it's pretty way out there... you might appreciate.

Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 15:53

CZ: If you like Haiku D'etat, have you tried Magic Heart Genies? Another Myka 9 project, but it's pretty way out there... you might appreciate.
No, I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation!

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 20:56
Have u guys checked out People Under the Stairs?.....great hip hop!

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 21:31
I always up end coming back to Dr Dre's 2001 album the most out of any hip hop I have.
Even though it's now 11 years old, it's just so timeless sounding.

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 22:25
Jrocha: Thanks for mentioning People Under The Stairs! I know them but they're famous for being the classic hip-hop group that releases nothing but good albums and yet never ever gets mentioned. True to form, I forgot to mention them.

Petrov: Yeah that's a goodie. I wonder if Detox will ever be made.

Oh in case anyone was going to go to the record shop to get Drake or the new Eminem, don't. Both are a bit crap. Just wait a couple more weeks and you've got Big Boi and The Roots to choose from, both far superior records.

Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 22:49
I cant wait for the new roots album, its been in talks for a while now. Just listened to the new single dear god 2.0 and it sounds pretty good.

-------------

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 09:45
Honestly, I think it's just unspeakably awful.
Just to get a critical word in among all this celebration here.
I'd rather go exploring the wonderful hidden depths of Country and Western,and that's saying a lot!

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 14:36
Some people.

Okay, the reason I think rap music CAN be just as good as prog or any other musicial genre not defined by clothes is because it requires talent. You can start out a mediocre rapper and through experience, get better and better.

Just like any other type of music.

Any genre that can be measured by quality, talent, and experience has a chance to become a favorite in my book. Thus, saying rap is just "unspeakably awful" is not a logical statement, not to mention close-minded and dickish.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 16:29

I find that almost anybody who pulls the "all rap is awful" card has about 11/10 times never given it a serious try and is a pompous windbag who can be cheerfully disregarded.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 16:39

I find that almost anybody who pulls the "all rap is awful" card has about 11/10 times never given it a serious try and is a pompous windbag who can be cheerfully disregarded.

I agree. I don't like rap at all, however. LOL

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 01:43
Guys, I think from now on, whenever npjnpj starts an appreciation thread on a band you don't like, just go in there and piss all over the thread.
I think it's only fair, don't you think npjnpj?

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 03:26

Tempting but we're not overgrown children.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 04:50
My motto is enjoy music in all its diversity, but there's no requirement that you have to like it all.  If something doesn't appeal to you, it's totally OK to ignore it.  Life's too short to to spend any effort trashing it. By the way, what the hell is up with rap???  I mean it's just crap, isn't it???LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 05:38
This has some of the old guard foaming at the mouth but I personally believe that anyone who rejects rap/hip-hop (or indeed ANY genre) wholesale is not a progressive music listener. Yes there is plenty to bash in MAINSTREAM rap and post Shania Twain country for example, but to say there are no and could never be good artists/albums in the rap and country scenes is blatant asinine twaddle and you should be on some sort of rock/nostalgia site, not a prog one.

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 05:56
Oh dear, I seem to have upset some people, sorry about that. Just to make amends I state here and now, that there never was, nor will there ever be music that can equal or in any way surpass hip-hop and rap.

There! LOL
LOL

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 07:13
Killing MC Solaar's Prose Combat recently. Really good French sh*t. Cannot understand a word the cat's saying but the beats make me feel like melting away into infinity.

Massive fan of DJ Screw, have somewhere in the vicinity of 250 of his mix tapes. Nothing like a 30min + freestyle to wile away the afternoons.

Too much stuff to mention in one post.

Date Posted: June 16 2010 at 17:39

Though it lacks longevity, I have a soft spot for comedy rap, which is great fun while it lasts. Check out these tracks from The Lonely Island, though the last two will not be so funny if you aren't familiar with hip-hop culture.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 10:48
I've discovered three rap-metal kind of albums this year. Quite good & enjoyable
Enter Shikari
Hacktivist
Verge of Umbra

Big smile

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've discovered three rap-metal kind of albums this year. Quite good & enjoyable
Enter Shikari
Hacktivist
Verge of Umbra

Big smile

Enter Shikari is awesome, great eclectic metalcore band. Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk