Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7583
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 20:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: black sabbath - solitude and more
Posted By: frenchie
Subject: black sabbath - solitude and more
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 15:36

i have always loved sabbath and after getting into prog appreciated them much more. After seeing them live at Donington this weekend my love for them has increased even more. One of the best moments of my life and they mostly stuck to the first 3 albums which for me is the ultimate era.

their setlist included:

black sabbath, the wizard, after forever, electric funeral, iron man, into the void, children of the grave, NIB, paranoid, dirty women, war pigs, sabbath bloody sabbath and fairies wear boots (not in that order)

They probably deserve a place here along with The who and led zeppelin as they are more proggy than some bands on this site (eg radiohead, styx, nightwish and phish)

"Solitude" is one of my favourite tracks and i was wondering who does the beautiful vocals? dont sound like ozzy, im guessing iommi or butler. I love the flute, this track is a bit like i talk to the wind.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Replies:
Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 16:04
My first listen to 'Sabotage' was the most intense musical experience of
my life. Left me physically drained. Four huge progressive tracks,
including the masterful 'Megalomania'. Their albums had become
increasingly complex to this point, and Ozzy laid down the law (as they
could no longer perform the songs live). This was their last great album,
but possibly the only one able to be legitimately included on this site.

Solitude is Ozzy (as is the superior 'Planet Caravan' from Paranoid). The
first non-Ozzy vocal was Geezer Butler on 'It's Alright' (Technical Ecstasy).

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 16:06
I  agree frenchie, DT fans, Styx fans watch out.....make way for Sabbath, Led Zep etc on this site. After all Prog Archives have bent the rules on Radihead, DT being included here etc already!! Not to mention unknown one album obscurities from around the globe. I am not against any sane inclusions but Sabbath and Zep surely must be included. Wishbone Ash anyone?

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: abyssyinfinity
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 16:13
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

My first listen to 'Sabotage' was the most intense musical experience of
my life. Left me physically drained. Four huge progressive tracks,
including the masterful 'Megalomania'. Their albums had become
increasingly complex to this point, and Ozzy laid down the law (as they
could no longer perform the songs live). This was their last great album,
but possibly the only one able to be legitimately included on this site.

I AGREE!!!

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:07
to be fair dream theater really do write progressive rock. i would say in at least 75% of their whole discography is prog. Its cool to bash them but they really do fit all the criteria, after hearing pretty much all their songs.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:12

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

to be fair dream theater really do write progressive rock. i would say in at least 75% of their whole discography is prog. Its cool to bash them but they really do fit all the criteria, after hearing pretty much all their songs.

Was there ever serious doubts about that then?????????????????

And now back to bashing DT

Why shouldn't you drive a mini-cooper with three DT members in it off a high Cliff.

Because all five fit in easily

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:28
for that joke i give you a slow sarcastic clap of the hands and a look like the face of a horse annoyed as it is constantly being swarmed by flies as a poor italian street merchant plays a sad song on an out of tune, rusted and broken violin just for you tuxon

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:28
thats ozzy on vocals? f**k me i never knew he could sound like that! He is a legend

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:43

for that joke i give you a slow sarcastic clap of the hands and a look like the face of a horse annoyed as it is constantly being swarmed by flies as a poor italian street merchant plays a sad song on an out of tune, rusted and broken violin just for you tuxon

And I didn't even used the alternative punch line.

Involving flooting and hot air

Just kiddin' by the way.

Back on topic. Ozzie has one of the best voices in heavy rock.

Totally love him for Sabbath Bloody sabbath, Iron Man, and all those brilliantly sung classics

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:45
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

And I didn't even used the alternative punch line.

Involving flooting and hot air

Just kiddin' by the way.

Back on topic. Ozzie has one of the best voices in heavy rock.

Totally love him for Sabbath Bloody sabbath, Iron Man, and all those brilliantly sung classics

he certianly is original and to some extent not imitatable (despite being part of one of the most influencial rock bands of all time).

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:48
anyway, tuxon me old chum, i am off to bed soon (23:45 here for the non brits), i do not know whether to listen to Opeth - Still Life or Black Sabbath - Best of (Disc One)on my walkman to help me drift off.

which disc should i choose?

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:50
If you want a sure way to get to sleep fast, put Marillion on. Right Tux!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progod
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:56

If bands like Symphony X, DT, Fates Warning, Styx, Radiohead, etc., can be counted as prog open the doors for the most evil of all dark heavy rock: Sabbath. Fairies Wear Boots and Symptom Of The Universe can be up with the best of the genre, and songs like Planet Caravan and Solitude are very symphonic. The only thing I never really liked from Balck Sabbath was Ozzy Osborne's vocals but they were a very tight group.

Just like witches at black masses...

-------------
Fernando Coto Posse

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 19:06

i've decided to listen to the first track off still life (i can listen out for the ghostly cough) and then switch over to sabbath.

HEAVY METAL RULES (which ironically was an early pantera song in 1984 that sadly did not rule as they really hadn't grasped a good sound at that time)

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 23:26

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If you want a sure way to get to sleep fast, put Marillion on. Right Tux!

Yes.........ehr......

Why are you always bashing my favourite artist. It's not like I ever bash yours

Annie Howe (Steve's baby sister)

I'm off to work now. sleepy dreams boy's and girls

-------------

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 02:24

Pretty damn sure it was Bill Ward singing on It's Alright ...

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: James Hill
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 04:25
I love Black Sabbath the masters of metal.If you think about it they invented all forms of metal.Gothic metal Vol 1,doom metal Paranoid or Masters of Reality,progressive and speed metal on Vol 4,Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and of course Sabatage.I must ad that Tony Iommi is the most underrated axman in the history of rock music.True I love prog with a passion but metal will always bring out the man,and metal will always be a male form of music,in me.

-------------
symphonic james

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 04:42

They are Godfathers of Heavy Metal with significant prog leanings IMO.

I love the track 'Solitude' too

I think Sabotage is their finest album by far IMO, and perhaps their most prog. I dont think there is a duff track on there, and Meglomania, and The Writ are absolute classics

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 05:58

They were on the Prog label VERTIGO and they are Prog in my view who else could do a track like "Planet Caravan" in 1970.

They deserve a place here alongside Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Cream and Iron Butterfly, I know not everyone will agree but I can defeltely see Prog/Psych in their music.

If they were to be added file them under Progressive Metal.

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 06:18
Completely agree, they should be added. How does a controversial band get added to the archives? Through the use of a poll, for the forum using community to voice their opinions?

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 07:32

Yeah why not? Their one of my favorite bands so i have no problems with teme bing adeed and they did many progresiv songs, and Wakeman played on Sabbath bloody sabbath so they must be a prog band.

And allso i seriusly think that metallica shuld be included Their music was very progresiv. And they broke much new ground from album to album starting with Ride the lightning. If radiohead is here and Queensryche, Metallica shuld absolutly be hear too.

And i agree Solitude is very beautiful Sabbaths best ballad.

-------------

Posted By: milla
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 15:00
Originally posted by James Hill James Hill wrote:

I love Black Sabbath the masters of metal.If you think about it they invented all forms of metal.Gothic metal Vol 1,doom metal Paranoid or Masters of Reality,progressive and speed metal on Vol 4,Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and of course Sabatage.

I agree with Gothic and Doom, but I can't really see how they invented prog or speed metal - I would have said NWOBHM bands like Raven and Jaguar are more likely candidates for speed metal, or maybe Judas Priest.

Prog metal was invented by Rush!

Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 16:30
Metallica are also on Vertigo Records.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 16:32
i would say that megadeth have more prog leanings than metallica but both probably fall short of being true prog.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 18:11

More candidates for the "History of Metal" thread?

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7402&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7402&a mp;PN=1

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 03:01

"Solitude" is one of my favourite tracks and i was wondering who does the beautiful vocals? dont sound like ozzy, im guessing iommi or butler. I love the flute, this track is a bit like i talk to the wind

As has been said before, it is Ozzy on vocals - but you have Iommi to thank for the flute playing.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: June 22 2005 at 18:13

Please dont compare sabbath with prog it makes me not wanna listen to them anymore!!

Thank You

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: June 22 2005 at 18:16
I dont agree with sabbath and zep being on this site because even though they may hav created a couple of songs that may be considered prog they do not specialize in the genre.

Posted By: Dreamer
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 05:48
I also saw sabbath live just a week ago. What an incredible show it was. the only thing that annoyed me is that they started playing the riff to Symptoms of the Universe, but after 10 seconds switched into another song... I hoped they would play symptoms

Posted By: lordoflight
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 11:31
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Pretty damn sure it was Bill Ward singing on It's Alright ...

yeah i think it was Bill Ward too. Ozzy sang on both Planet Caravan and Solitude, but his voice was distorted with some type of effect (i read somewhere that he sang directly into a fan, but i dont really believe that )

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk