Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76274
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 15:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Does intelligence matter?
Posted By: Phulax-Wolfgang
Subject: Does intelligence matter?
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 15:47
When I listen to Prog, I'm stimulated by listening to the time signature, instrumental timbres, lyrics subject etc. Yet some of my 'peers', dare I use the word, simply cannot comprehend the song's beauty. They enjoy the bog-standard 4/4 run of the mill pop song. These people are noticeably 'thick as a brick' Wink so does intelligence play a part in liking Prog? I am of a certain intelligence, due to my abilities and performances in a variety of subjects, and I took Greek and Latin at GCSE. Unsurprisingly, my Classics (Greek & Latin) teacher rather likes Yes, Genesis and PF, and he is incredibly intelligent. I have noticed that I am the only Prog-wizard amongst my peers. So I can't honestly conclude my hypothesis from my own experiences. Can anyone else give me any back-up or tell me different?

PLEASE READ MY POST ABOUT THE MID/END OF PAGE 5, BEFORE YOU COME ON THE BOUNCE!

-------------
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton

Replies:
Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:14

nope

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:18
Yes it does. I am clearly not smart enough to enjoy Dream Theater anymore. 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:18
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

nope

I'm sorry, could you please digress. Is that a simple answer to my overall query, or the last part asking about your own experiences?

-------------
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:22
I'm sorry, I know plenty of idiots who listen to prog. The idiocy is well spread between the different genres.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Sleepwalker
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:24
Open mindedness does matter. Not just to prog but to any non-popular music genre. Intelligence... nah, don't think so. 

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:26
One most also take into account that IQ is merely the measure of ones upper limits of intelligence. There is, in fact, no lower limit. One can be a genius listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra but return to the kitchen and attempt to clean a running blender with his fingers. 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:28
Progsters are possibly more intelligent, but there are plenty of bands who either are not intelligent in Prog (too many to give example), or who are misinterpreted completely by the masses (Pink Floyd), or who are somewhere in between the two (Rush, seriously people) or who have particularly strong (charting) connections with mainstream music (many, including Yes, Genesis, Supertramp, Rush again, Pink Floyd a little.. etc.)

Catch my drift? 

You don't have to even have good taste to enjoy Prog stamped stuff.

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:29

nope

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:30

Notable mention: The illiterate Captain Beefheart.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:32
Is a decent attention span a more necessary part for enjoying prog would you say?

-------------

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 16:35

a minimal form of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences#Musical" rel="nofollow - musical intelligence maybe, you might still suck at math or languages or social skills

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:05
Another confused ego who thinks prog-listening is a sign of intelligence. There's plenty of geniuses listening hip hop and quite a lot of idiots litening to prog.

-------------

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:06
People can like prog without understanding why they like it and I know some prog heads who are dumb as hell so I would say no, intelligence has no bearing on whether somebody enjoys prog or not. 

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:30
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Another confused ego who thinks prog-listening is a sign of intelligence. There's plenty of geniuses listening hip hop and quite a lot of idiots litening to prog.

I'm not trying to improve my intelligence status by stating my musical taste, I'm just curious to see if there's a relationship between academic ability and music taste. I've seen ones go on about Metal and Classical, but none on Prog.
The more academically able of my friends seem to enjoy indie, Eminem, Girls Aloud, The Prodigy, Raconteurs, Guns 'N' Roses etc. But going on the musical intelligence affair, a boy who sits by me in registration, is fantastic at various instruments absolutely loves G'N'R, The Libertines and The Pretty Reckless. Which puzzles me. As he completely disregards Prog.

-------------

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:48
Originally posted by Phulax-Wolfgang Phulax-Wolfgang wrote:

I'm not trying to improve my intelligence status by stating my musical taste, I'm just curious to see if there's a relationship between academic ability and music taste. I've seen ones go on about Metal and Classical, but none on Prog.
The more academically able of my friends seem to enjoy indie, Eminem, Girls Aloud, The Prodigy, Raconteurs, Guns 'N' Roses etc. But going on the musical intelligence affair, a boy who sits by me in registration, is fantastic at various instruments absolutely loves G'N'R, The Libertines and The Pretty Reckless. Which puzzles me. As he completely disregards Prog.

He probably just doesn't like the aesthetics of the genre. 

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:54
Nope. I'm thick as pig sh*t.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:58
Actually. In women it is true.  Only intelligent women love prog.
For men, it's an indication of how well endowed we are.
Big smile

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 17:58

I met a destructive artist back in the 70's who used to place severed pig heads outside art galleries. His IQ was at least double mine and I asked him why he listened to disco music. He told me he loved the blandness of it.

Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I met a destructive artist back in the 70's who used to place severed pig heads outside art galleries. His IQ was at least double mine and I asked him why he listened to disco music. He told me he loved the blandness of it.

He sounds like a marvellous character

-------------

Posted By: Nathaniel607
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 18:15
I think you have to be a bit open minded. I think most people, if prog was forced upon them, would eventually love it as well, just that they think because they've never heard of it, it must be crap.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nathaniel607" rel="nofollow - My Last FM Profile

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 19:35

nope

tl;dr

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 19:37
I have met very bright, scholarly people who listen to true 'academic' music, i.e., classical, and still don't like prog.  Prog's approach is to experiment with and reject existing formats and find its own ways of expression.  A lot of people find that unsettling, they would prefer not to have to sort out the structure first before appreciating the piece.  I quite sympathize with that; you cannot demand every listener to look at music like that, prog is definitely not for everyone. I would only ask that such people should not label prog self indulgent or any of the other cliched terms with which prog is usually bashed just because it's something they can't relate to. Sadly, that's how it has been for a very long time and the media has made prog myths even more powerful and unshakable.  Ouch

Posted By: Theriver
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 20:06

Prog fans: definitely smarts but not always open specially to some new cultures: hip hop for example. Of course i don’t want to generalize.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 20:16

When I listen to Prog, I'm stimulated by listening to the time signature, instrumental timbres, lyrics subject etc. Yet some of my 'peers', dare I use the word, simply cannot comprehend the song's beauty. They enjoy the bog-standard 4/4 run of the mill pop song. These people are noticeably 'thick as a brick' Wink  so does intelligence play a part in liking Prog? I am of a certain intelligence, due to my abilities and performances in a variety of subjects, and I took Greek and Latin at GCSE. Unsurprisingly, my Classics (Greek & Latin) teacher rather likes Yes, Genesis and PF, and he is incredibly intelligent. I have noticed that I am the only Prog-wizard amongst my peers. So I can't honestly conclude my hypothesis from my own experiences. Can anyone else give me any back-up or tell me different?

You'll probably stop being so arrogant and condescending after you graduate college/university. I don't mean to be patronizing (because I also remember how infuriating it was when people would say you're just too young to understand), but I did the same thing when I was your age and there's no way I can argue against you (or my former self). Music doesn't mean anything at all, it barely even exists, and prog is far away from being the most "intelligent" music available.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 20:17
Not even kinda close.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: michellemjk
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 20:18
I'm not sure about prog rock but I suspect jazz might be related to some intelligence. Many people who are in academic position including my adademic advisor are a big fan of jazz. I also feel that as I explore more and more music, my music direction goes towards it.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 21:54

When I listen to Prog, I'm stimulated by listening to the time signature, instrumental timbres, lyrics subject etc. Yet some of my 'peers', dare I use the word, simply cannot comprehend the song's beauty. They enjoy the bog-standard 4/4 run of the mill pop song. These people are noticeably 'thick as a brick' Wink so does intelligence play a part in liking Prog? I am of a certain intelligence, due to my abilities and performances in a variety of subjects, and I took Greek and Latin at GCSE. Unsurprisingly, my Classics (Greek & Latin) teacher rather likes Yes, Genesis and PF, and he is incredibly intelligent. I have noticed that I am the only Prog-wizard amongst my peers. So I can't honestly conclude my hypothesis from my own experiences. Can anyone else give me any back-up or tell me different?
If you are thinking of the musician? Maybe to a degree. For example not just prog but Gustav Mahler used his intelligence in developing a sophisticated approach to composition. The intelligence lies in the basic definition "Quickness of understanding". His understanding of theory and his natural talent to hear complex melodies. Music draws that thin line between personal preference and those of a certain intelligence. I can't truly comment on the audience or fans. There are impeccable jazz musicians who do not know how to tie their shoes.  But still, a degree of intelligence that I can see is the intelligence one must have to understand many levels of music theory and to hear passages and play them in a refined manner. It takes a lot of brain work to develop theory so it will coincide with the ear. Understanding harmony takes a bit of thinking. This is actually a entire different viewpoint and off subject. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 21:58
There was an article in the Sunday NY Times---the author interviewed college kids I think it was back in the late 70's (maybe later) and asked them about their musical taste and prog was mentioned and  favored in more ivy league schools than in it was in let's say---a party school in Florida. If you think ivy league = intelligence, then maybe there is something to this---I remember the article because seeing a group like Yes or Genesis mentioned in a paper that I read (other than Melody Maker) was exciting at the time as they never received any critical notice like Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, Who, etc.. Personally, I think lot's of smart people like prog but you don't have to be "smart "(whatever that means) to like it. 

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 22:05
There are different kinds of intelligence.
I think liking prog shows up that one was
brought up with good cultural values.

But you can be artistically smart, but not career smart.

Then one might need to gain more psychological smarts (like how to put down the booze
because you aren't able to get the normal reward centers of your brain working sober
because of developmental arrests which need therapy to overcome, etc.).

There is IQ for math, for socializing, emotional quotient, and so on.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: KyleSchmidlin
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 22:07
The idea that prog fans must have some superior intellect is maybe not entirely without merit on the surface, but it only applies if we want to take a very narrow definition of the word "intelligence".  It just might be that people who like to think more deeply, or who understand music on a deeper level, might have more of a predisposition to liking certain types of progressive music.  They might skip it entirely and go straight to the sources of classical and jazz.  Just as prog might be an enlightening of rock, it might also be a dumbing-down of those "genres".  However, that my friends who might be big AC/DC or hip hop fans can't get into prog music doesn't make me question their intelligence.  And however smart and high and mighty I might feel because the song I'M listening to is 23 minutes long and is based off of the work of Aristotle and utilizes 67 instruments and time signatures, it may just sound like boring masturbation to someone else.  Which doesn't make them any less intelligent.  They may be more adept than me at, say, changing a garbage disposal or something. 

And besides, music has purposes other than intellectual stimulation; in fact, I might argue that this is the LEAST of its meaningful applications.  It is meant to excite and ignite, to make a person move or to make a person reflect, not to inspire calculations and charting.  It just happens that prog does that for me, but my favorite prog is actually not so actively progressive.  I hate Dream Theater, for instance; I love Frank Zappa but I love him most when his band is in a groove and he's shredding on top.  It's the force and skill and confidence with which they play the music that usually gets me, not the trickiness of it.  I like prog most when it's rocking hardest, generally.

Posted By: Valentino
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 22:21
Yes, it does. I'm also extremely intelligent and morally superior. It's no wonder I enjoy certain genres.

Posted By: AllP0werToSlaves
Date Posted: February 27 2011 at 23:42
Everyone interprets music and art differently, but I don't think it has much to do with the intellect. It may help in understanding how the music works, but it isn't necessary to enjoy it.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 03:13
I don't understand the question

-------------

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 04:07
I find this thread to be deeply offensive to people who are not as incredibly intelligent as the average Prog enthusiast.

Honestly, I can just imagine this thread being handed about for the purpose of demonstrating what a load of arrogant pricks these Prog fans actually are. If I were you lot, I'd shut up just about now.

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 07:54
Originally posted by michellemjk michellemjk wrote:

I'm not sure about prog rock but I suspect jazz might be related to some intelligence. Many people who are in academic position including my adademic advisor are a big fan of jazz. I also feel that as I explore more and more music, my music direction goes towards it.

Another member of the "intellectual community."Wink

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 08:19

Is a decent attention span a more necessary part for enjoying prog would you say?

I think it's more that than intelligence. Most people don't really sit down and really listen to music these days - it's just something they have on in the background.  A lot of prog demands attention to really appreciate.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 09:07
I failed the air traffic controller test. 

-------------

Posted By: Hanyou
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 09:15
Intelligence can help facilitate a better understanding of the music, which will probably enrich the experience.  A lot of prog bands broach subjects other bands wouldn't dare to, and they do it with some level of musical and even lyrical intelligence.  That's not to say they're philosopher-kings--they're still rock stars after all--but in their field, they can exhibit unusually intelligent song-writing and an intelligent person might glean more from it.

Dream Theater has their sophisticated instrumentation and time signatures, and Fish, whose music wasn't extremely complex, has his poetry.  Both are valid, and both are a joy to listen to.

I do not consider myself unusually intelligent.  I don't understand music in the least, I just listen and enjoy and when something resonates with me emotionally, I become a frequent listener.  Since I don't understand all the complexities, I don't glean as much from the music as I'd like.  But I can attest to the fact that it does not take an unusually intelligent person to enjoy prog.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 09:36
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I failed the air traffic controller test. 

Bad eyesight doesn't stop you liking prog.Wink 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 09:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I think it's more that than intelligence. Most people don't really sit down and really listen to music these days - it's just something they have on in the background.  A lot of prog demands attention to really appreciate.

This.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:18
Intellectual ability in any given subject does not necessarily mean that you're someone of sophisticated taste. For example, I know quite a few people with PhDs running university departments, but some of them are bigots, others are ultra-nationalists and many of them are only interested in tacky pop music.

For (most) symphonic prog, Canterbury Scene, RIO and proggy jazz-rock, all you need is a certain preference for ECLECTICISM. Such preference is relatively rare, but I keep bumping into progheads everywhere. However, since they don't wear kaftans anymore, it can be hard to spot them!

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:27
I read articles like this all the time, they appear to correlate some credibility with their claims but I personally take it with a grain of salt. The "smarter" kids could enjoy prog for completely different reasons, not solely because of their IQ. You could even make the leap with that logic and say "people with more money seem to enjoy prog!" I think it just comes down to taste to be honest with you. Did those same Ivy League students listen to classical music as well?

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:28
I guarantee that prog listening is in no way correlated with intelligence. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Intellectual ability in any given subject does not necessarily mean that you're someone of sophisticated taste. For example, I know quite a few people with PhDs running university departments, but some of them are bigots, others are ultra-nationalists and many of them are only interested in tacky pop music.
LOLLOLLOLLOL
For (most) symphonic prog, Canterbury Scene, RIO and proggy jazz-rock, all you need is a certain preference for ECLECTICISM. Such preference is relatively rare, but I keep bumping into progheads everywhere. However, since they don't wear kaftans anymore, it can be hard to spot them!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:45

It is simply music......nothing spectacular. It will not solve any world problems....why in the world do we need a hypothesis to listen to music!!??
If you like pop or hip hop or jazz then go for it...if you like progressive rock, super listen to that. If 4/4 does it for you...awesome!!
The important thing is to listen to what moves you to have a good day and treat others with respect.

Just press play people.....

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:49
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I guarantee that prog listening is in no way correlated with intelligence. 
I agree with this. People sometimes get the impression that when a person listens to simple music and cringes at prog, it has to do with a lack of intelligence to understand the music. It's probably preference. Although it can be a bit misleading when a person attempts to make observations of society's reaction to music in general. I was waiting for you to make a post reply and I support your view.

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 11:46
I just made a simple schoolboy's day-dream into a good debate. I don't believe music makes that much difference. It is merely entertainment (on my part). I'm much more interested in Mathematics.
Ah righto, well. This has all been rather helpful and informative. Thank you all! I can tell the intelligence of most of you to not resort to 'stfu noob' or any other childish retorts. I don't know whether I can tell anyone that various unfamiliar men on the internet helped build my character/perspective. Don't take me as arrogant, I think it's worse to deny my lucky draw in the gene-pool. Thanks again.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 12:47
Is anybody interrested in music these days? It is so secondary that people take it for granted . It's everywhere. TV, movies, games etc. Most of tEarth's population think what  Bieber and Céline Dion do  is music.

I remember back in 2007 ( I think ) Joshua Bell who is considered to be one of the top clasical violin virtuosos ( and highest paid ) on the planet took his 3 million dollar Stratavarios vilion into the Washington DC metro during rush hour and played for about an hour and collected about $ 30 and hardly anyone stopped to admire his playing. One woman stopped and said that it was "fantastic " Of course it was a publicity stunt staged by the Washington Post just to illustrate how clued out people are.

I dunno,  were there any intelligent people passing by besides that woman.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It is simply music......nothing spectacular. It will not solve any world problems....why in the world do we need a hypothesis to listen to music!!??
If you like pop or hip hop or jazz then go for it...if you like progressive rock, super listen to that. If 4/4 does it for you...awesome!!
The important thing is to listen to what moves you to have a good day and treat others with respect.

Just press play people.....

This person of supremely average intelligence agrees wholeheartedly with this post.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:12
Ok let's conduct a experiment here. 

a) Those of you who consider yourselves geniuses say it. 

b) All of you who don't, also say it. 

We'll tally the numbers. If option b) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. If a) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:14

Ok let's conduct a experiment here. 

a) Those of you who consider yourselves geniuses say it. 

b) All of you who don't, also say it. 

We'll tally the numbers. If option b) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. If a) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. 

Can you also include an option for those of us who fall into neither camp, but can, at least, fry an egg without breaking it?

I'm not really taking this thread very seriously am I?LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:16
I can't fry an egg without breaking it Cry

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:22

Ah Teo. Then it is, I'm afraid, the option of last resort - you'll have to go down the hard boiled routeLOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Ah Teo. Then it is, I'm afraid, the option of last resort - you'll have to go down the hard boiled routeLOL

I actually go the "grab a mop and clean your mess" route Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:38
I eat them whole, save on the washing.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:38
Hi,

The minute that we think that "intelligence" matters, someone comes up with something that is totally improvised that makes the intelligence look silly and stuffy. Besides, if we are to interpret the word "intelligence", we would endup thinking that the whole world is stupid and we are the imperialists!

The only intelligence there is, would be the one where someone knows how to take advantage of what they see inside and color their music with it, if they can get away from the "standard" propositions and details that supposedly define music ... in order to help define and create something new.

I don't think that it takes intelligence to get a Robert Fripp at 18 or 19 to do the first KC album ... I do feel that it could be said that here was someone that had a very special and specific feel about music and how he wanted to express it, and he did it, and it was different and fit a compositional style that we still are trying to define, and still haven't succeeded despite weird terminology for it. In the end, it was about the feeling and the way to express that feeling, and Jimi did the same thing, and so did Stevie ... and why not Robert in his own way?

Let the instrument talk!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:06
Listen to music for your own reasons; the most important quality should be the joy you get while listening!

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:25
Even dummies can enjoy music.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:59
You don't have to be intelligent to listen to prog, but you MUST be very stupid to listen to this Thumbs Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8r-8EJ4c8" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8r-8EJ4c8

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Sp_CZtqnA" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Sp_CZtqnA

or dozen of other examples.  Prog is not too good. It's the rest that's too poor.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:05
I think all music requires a degree of intelligence to appreciate. That's why you don't see Sea Barnacles and Domesticated Goldfish perusing record stores.

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:06

Is anybody interrested in music these days? It is so secondary that people take it for granted . It's everywhere. TV, movies, games etc. Most of tEarth's population think what  Bieber and Céline Dion do  is music.

I remember back in 2007 ( I think ) Joshua Bell who is considered to be one of the top clasical violin virtuosos ( and highest paid ) on the planet took his 3 million dollar Stratavarios vilion into the Washington DC metro during rush hour and played for about an hour and collected about $ 30 and hardly anyone stopped to admire his playing. One woman stopped and said that it was "fantastic " Of course it was a publicity stunt staged by the Washington Post just to illustrate how clued out people are.

In Washington, DC???......uhhhh NO

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:08
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I think all music requires a degree of intelligence to appreciate. That's why you don't see Sea Barnacles and Domesticated Goldfish perusing record stores.

Thought of this http://www.fat-pie.com/musicmouth.htm" rel="nofollow - www.fat-pie.com/musicmouth.htm and http://www.fat-pie.com/musicguess.htm" rel="nofollow - www.fat-pie.com/musicguess.htm

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:10

Dude....I can't get water to boil CryCryCry.......but I can fry an egg with a solid yoke!! Clap

-------------

Posted By: cacha71
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:12
I think that Prog attracts a certain sort of personality which gets bored easily and seeks stimulation, and this may be linked to intelligence, but that's as far as it goes.  I know plenty of highly intelligent people who don't listen to Prog, or aren't interested even in music.  However,  I can't say I've met any proggers who can be described as stupid.

I certainly don't think that an ability in foreign languages such as Ancient Greek or Latin can be linked to appreciation of Prog.  And knowing these languages doesn't automatically make you intelligent.  Intelligence has many forms and doesn't dictate taste.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:16
If the only intelligent people in the world were the proggers the future of the human race would look even darker than it does already...

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:46
Music is very abstract. So is the humour of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I guess either you get it or you don't regardless of genre. I get a lot of musical styles but what I don't get is garbage that is manafactured by the record execs. 

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:51
It takes a open mind and i don't think most of us are gifted with this by nature, but by their culture. 

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:00

Music is very abstract. So is the humour of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I guess either you get it or you don't regardless of genre. I get a lot of musical styles but what I don't get is garbage that is manafactured by the record execs. 

I can only agree. 'YOU'RE NOT A YES-MAN ARE YOU?' - 'NO, ERM...'

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:04
Yes, but only the artificial kind...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:28
When talking about intelligence and it's relation to something, it gets kinda complicated, as there are different types of intelligence, and a given individual may have different amounts of any given type of intelligence.
          Someone said before that music cannot solve world problems.
           Never underestimate the capabilities of music-listening to it can be a profound experience, and it can inspire people, and move mountains!

Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:31
Didn't Jethro Tull help oust a dictator or something? Blasting some at his hiding place or something. That's a problem music has helped.

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:39

Didn't Jethro Tull help oust a dictator or something? Blasting some at his hiding place or something. That's a problem music has helped.
I do see what you are getting at-i guess music helps to inspire someone, so helping in big problems in a kind of indirect way, you might say, or in a symbolic way

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 19:32
I wouldn't say as much intelligence as a striving of the mind for more.  If a person is not content to accept what they are told or follow the crowd, that often will carry over to their musical tastes.  Sometimes though, intelligence does help with picking up lyrical themes, humor, etc.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 19:48
Duh?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: February 28 2011 at 20:22
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

a minimal form of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences#Musical" rel="nofollow - musical intelligence maybe, you might still suck at math or languages or social skills

^This

This thread made me cross Angry 

I would never imply that I was better/more intelligent than anyone else, just because of my music tastes. It's wrong, and people who think that need to climb out of their backsides and look into the real world. It's not an 'elitist group' of sorts, we're just sharing our similar musical tastes, as it's difficult to find people who know about these things in the same level of detail, anywhere else.

I have no intention of putting on my 'antique' cardigan and hipster glasses and look down my nose at everyone else. Anyway, don't we listen to music for ourselves, not for anyone else?

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 02:44
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

You've never been to Australia have you?Wink

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 02:53

uh, because people had places to go, classes to attend, jobs to get to, children to drop off/pick up?

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 03:23
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

uh, because people had places to go, classes to attend, jobs to get to, children to drop off/pick up?

A rose in a field of corn is a weed.

-------------
What?

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 04:24

Liking prog requires not intelligence, but:

Patience, tolerance, open-minded-ness, an active ear (as opposed to a passive one)...... as well as time on your hands.

Those things, it could be argued, are seen more in intelligent people and thus proves the OP's point.

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:26
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Patience, tolerance, open-minded-ness, an active ear (as opposed to a passive one)...... as well as time on your hands.

Those things, it could be argued, are seen more in intelligent people and thus proves the OP's point.

Intelligence is basically how well someone can understand something. Therefore it is practically impossible to be intelligent without patience etc in any kind of intelligence. I hate having to hold conversation with 'thick' people, I call them thick because if someone explains something to them, they just zone-out and pretend that they understand, because they generally don't want to learn something that they are unfamiliar with. If they explained the rules of football to me, I wouldn't honestly care for them (the rules), but I'd listen so I know that I have learned something. Plus, I call it manners. I dread thinking that I might go to bed knowing less than when I woke up, why bother getting up? I like to call this 'progression', or most people call it a purpose.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:33
Intelligence doesn't matter, hanging around on a prog forum for years showed me that. Sorry if anyone else already made this point. Tongue

Of course I'm referring to the degree of intelligence, but the types of intelligence do count: speculative, emotional, dexterous, etc.

Also, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110225090844.htm" rel="nofollow - DNA might matter too .

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:35

Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Intelligence is basically how well someone can understand something. Therefore it is practically impossible to be intelligent without patience etc in any kind of intelligence. I hate having to hold conversation with 'thick' people, I call them thick because if someone explains something to them, they just zone-out and pretend that they understand, because they generally don't want to learn something that they are unfamiliar with. If they explained the rules of football to me, I wouldn't honestly care for them (the rules), but I'd listen so I know that I have learned something. Plus, I call it manners. I dread thinking that I might go to bed knowing less than when I woke up, why bother getting up? I like to call this 'progression', or most people call it a purpose.
The real problem with that occurs sometime in the future when you can recall the off-side rule with accute accuracy but can't remember where you left your car keys. Many years ago someone told me what the small plastic tube at each end of a shoe lace is called - a singularily useless fact that serves no practical use, except in scrabble where it achieves a pityfully low score, but can I forget that idle fact? Nope.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:41
Aglets.  Approve

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:41
^ see, once learnt, never forgotten Ouch

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:53
Ah well, I've still learned from this thread. At least it's civil debates on this site.

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 14:30

Hmmm ... never thought that Monty Python was abstract ... it's all visual and right there for you to see! ... the cartoons are surrealistic, but that's Terry Gilliam ... not exactly the whole group.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 14:35
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The real problem with that occurs sometime in the future when you can recall the off-side rule with accute accuracy but can't remember where you left your car keys.

Let's not talk about a woman doing this, either ... and she made the right call, too! Now ... THAT is intelligence, I see! Shocked

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 15:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The real problem with that occurs sometime in the future when you can recall the off-side rule with accute accuracy but can't remember where you left your car keys.

Let's not talk about a woman doing this, either ... and she made the right call, too! Now ... THAT is intelligence, I see! Shocked
Show me this mythical woman who can explain the off-side rule Stern Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 15:05
Careful...  http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/andy-gray-richard-keys.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/andy-gray-richard-keys.jpg

-------------

Posted By: chefrobb
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 16:05

Not to be obtuse; however, could you, perchance, with the proper amount of thought, be any more condescending and/ or pompous in your view of yourself as, what it appears is yourself image, the arbiter of all that is knowledgeable and intellectual about your most holy of holy selves. This is without a doubt, one of the most arrogant and egocentric queries I have ever read....

-------------
chefrobb

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 16:29
Thank-you all, I am now £10 richer Big smile. I'm not half as bad as my posts. I just needed that last post, thanks chefrobb! Had a bet to see how many angry replies I could get against my original post. And that you would all carry on after my 'finisher', proving my friend wrong that Prog-rock is far beyond the upper-class, '6th form students in great coats' 'A-level standard kids' stereotypes. You've helped Prog-fans as much as you've helped me. Sorry if this has upset you at all! (I do study greek and latin, just helped the 'pomp' image) as for 'thick' people, not dependant on taste at all, mainly their overall common sense. I do believe in the 'progression' thing to an extent. One way to settle an argument or what!

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 16:59

You've helped Prog-fans as much as you've helped me.

I feel honoured to be in the presence of a music God

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 17:08
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

You've helped Prog-fans as much as you've helped me.

I feel honoured to be in the presence of a music God

I meant the reputation, in my friend's eyes, so he is aware that prog-fans are 'human' too, and to not hold everyone to stereotypes. And helped me by proving my point with your responses as I am getting my £10 tomorrow from him.

-------------

Posted By: Porcupinetheater
Date Posted: March 01 2011 at 17:18

This is definitely much more important. I know many, many intelligent people who would gladly shove their heads up Lady Gaga's ass just for the opportunity to brag that they got her crap on their face. And I know several others who are dumb as dirt, and likely sit around scratching their belly-buttons and eating hot pockets while blasting Rush, Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, Frost*...

But if you can't sit through ten minute songs, than you won't like prog, and if you can, well, there is much more hope! Plus, I could just throw in a little thing here and say that technically, all musical tastes are based in genetics, and the effects the sound waves themselves have on the brain. There really isn't too much of a correlation!Big smile

-------------
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.

Posted By: PaulJenkins
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 08:44

PLEASE READ MY POST ABOUT THE MID/END OF PAGE 5, BEFORE YOU COME ON THE BOUNCE!

No offense, and I'm serious, but this post makes you sound like you'd smell and enjoy your own farts.

Ontopic: I don't think music has THAT much to do with intelligence. It's more about feeling the music.

Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 10:54
Well, the whole point of this 'experiment' was to follow the prog-stereotype (snobbish, self-righteous etc) and prove against that, hence my post not far from the bottom of p5. I got my £10 today anyway. Smile It's best to read the entire post, or the notification in big, bold letters on the original post. that I added yesterday. Which you seem to have quoted.

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 11:03
...The responses here prove nothing one way or the other. Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 11:06
It proves that some Prog-fans (I assume that's the reason why most of you are here and posting) generally don't like that stereotype (snobbish etc), regardless, my friend took it as proof and I won. So I couldn't care less if it was a load of crock or not.

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 12:39

It proves that some Prog-fans (I assume that's the reason why most of you are here and posting) generally don't like that stereotype (snobbish etc), regardless, my friend took it as proof and I won. So I couldn't care less if it was a load of crock or not.

I don't really think anyone would 'like' being called snobbish, even if they were. I don't see how this proves anything. (insert hilarious twist of words involving the irony of calling everyone who doesn't listen to prog 'thick')

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk