Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77605
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 12:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Trolling
Posted By: Paravion
Subject: Trolling
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 08:50
Im a little curious about this subject - I was introduced to the phenomenon here, and I ocasionally find that discussions digress into whether or not some poster is trolling, so my guess is that this subject has general interest. 

I'm always sceptical towards definitions, but to begin with I quote what wikipedia has to say:
Quote In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
Is this a sufficient definition? 

In cases corresponding to the above definition, I can see why trolling is unacceptable. But there seems to be a lot of harmless not-so-severe cases of trolling which sometimes can be quite entertaining.  
My general thought on this matter is that it sometimes can be difficult to distinguish trolling behaviour from non-trolling behaviour and that it's fairly normal to post (say or do) things in order to provoke a reaction - I see nothing wrong with that. We all troll sometimes.

Replies:
Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:01
We all troll sometimes. It's just a fact.
And that definition is quite accurate.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:10
Originally posted by Andyman Andyman wrote:

It's just a fact.

Nothing is just a fact, that's a fact Tongue

Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things
Facts don't stain the furniture
Facts go out and slam the door
Facts are written all over your face
Facts continue to change their shape

I'm still waiting... 
(Byrne, 1980)

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:12
Personally, I think a little trolling is tolerated and can even be entertaining. I don't think PA needs more trolling... there seems to me that there have been an unusually high number of ''misunderstandings'' lately, but that's probably just my paranoia. I don't agree that we all troll sometimes, not by that definition at any rate.

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:23
I get into a lot of pointless arguments,  but I'm never intentionally provoking just to provoke. Sometimes I get sarcastic when I'm a little frustrated during a "discussion" but I think that's different. I actually don't see much trolling from our regulars. There are a few people that pop up from time to time that I think really are just trying to see what kind of response they'll get.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:26
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Personally, I think a little trolling is tolerated and can even be entertaining. I don't think PA needs more trolling... there seems to me that there have been an unusually high number of ''misunderstandings'' lately, but that's probably just my paranoia. I don't agree that we all troll sometimes, not by that definition at any rate.
You're right, not by that definition. 
While I think the definition might be accurate enough, I suspect that it only describes clear cases of trolling and hence it's not sufficient simply because it doesn't encompass all cases that might be considered trolling.

In the poll options, 'trolling' is not to be equated 'blindly' with what the definition says it is, it's what the voters associate with the phenomenon and their attitude towards it I'm interested in.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:13
Just like smoking, fur farming and gay sex it's a morally offensive practice and as such should NOT be tolerated UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Personally I never do it myself. Voted for (3).

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:20
I am not a fan of trolling, but some people (including myself?) troll now and then, intentionally or not. So I voted for option #5.

-------------

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:25
Playful trolling is kind of okay. Like Walter - even though he can be annoying we all know he's trolling so it's kind of like a running joke. But malicious trolling is just annoying.

Speaking of Walter, I haven't seen him around here in some time. Shocked

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:25
Trolling is entertaining.
Wether it is intentional or not, trolling gives online communities "flavor".
Does it sometimes get out of hand? Yes, but i highly doubt that PA will be infested with hardcore trolls.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:34
I troll sometimes. Not here though. You guys don't deserve it. You're all too nice. Even the Dream Theater fans..

If I do, it's not intentional..

I sometimes troll on a current affairs forum I go on. But, those guys are brutal. Sometimes you have to troll or you get eaten alive. People tend to get more 'sweary' about politics, than they do over music.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:52
^
You're right - PA is very, very civilized. It took some time getting used to, but it's actually quite nice, even though I often feel that it sometimes gets a bit too much with all the politeness and that it isn't always sincere. 

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:03
These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Trolling is entertaining, from the truly inept to the down right nasty, as long as you are a spectator its entertainment value is without question, yet I can still hold the view of no trolling whatsoever; while recognising that a little trolling is okay and we all troll sometimes (can't say I'd ever admit to the idea that the PA needs more trolling, but that's by the by).

I can do this because I think there is a difference between honest debate-stimulation (the old Socratic irony effectively employed) and deliberate provocation for personal amusement (Internet Trolling) so for that the Wikipedia definition of Internet Trolling is accurate and any other definition of trolling, however colloquial that definition may be, is simply misusing of the word. This in itself is enough for the term to be wrongly applied and that's where misunderstanding and flame wars begin.

True Internet Trolls are nasty pieces of work whose only interest and pleasure is in spoiling the enjoyment of others, there is no room here for those kinds of people. Fortunately we don't get many of them. I would go as far as to say we don't get any of them. Though I suspect that some people have been pushed into trollish behaviour while attempting to partake of this forum (I can think of a few), who for some reason have felt themselves to have been snubbed and/or insulted and thus decided to reek their revenge on an seemingly unsuspecting forum membership who were blissfully unaware that such a snubbing occured. I recall one instance where someone joined the forum apparently just to attack me, eventhough our paths had never crossed before and I didn't know him from Adam. The Internet and especially BBS forums are artificial environments - online group dynamics and interpersonal relationships aren't the same as real life, yet we attempt to deal with them as if they were.

I get involved in a lot of pointless arguments here that tend to get a little heated (albeit on one side only), and I know that in many cases people have deliberately said things to get a reaction out of me, baiting the trap expecting me to bite. Of course knowing that, I generally avoid such traps, however, what they then have to appreciate that any bite I take could be a deliberate counter-move on my own part. Sneaky things traps, though I would not necessarying accuse them of trolling as a result, often baiting is a means to draw the person into revealing what they really mean, rather thany trying to trap them into saying something they don't actually mean.

-------------
What?

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:10
lol, Dean's trolling in the trolling pool.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:17
This is the stupidest poll I've ever seen. But I suppose it's par for the course from you banal prog-snobs.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:22
How meta.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:23
I don't think I've ever trolled on purpose, but I won't say that I can predict that I won't troll in the future. We all troll sometimes.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

This is the stupidest poll I've ever seen. But I suppose it's par for the course from you banal prog-snobs.
Why?.. and What?
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
I know - they weren't intended to be. Thank you for thoughts on this matter..

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:26
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

Why?.. and What?

These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
I know - they weren't intended to be. Thank you for thoughts on this matter..
Sorry. I couldn't controll myself. Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:30
A little subtle trolling à la Shred, the kind that you don't even notice if you don't have a long time on PA and an acute sense of sarcasm, will never hurt. But I'm opposed to more.

Walter was nominated for in-house troll, but what about the Ians? That refers to Vibey in the first place (read his recent DT review? It's full of win. LOL), but Snowie and Mr. Lemming also qualify sometimes Tongue

My all-time trolling moment on PA will remain "in the jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...", remember? LOL

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:31

Sorry. I couldn't controll myself. Wink

I see. LOL. I sincerely need a better understanding of this trolling phenomenon..

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:33
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

My all-time trolling moment on PA will remain "in the jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...", remember? LOL

LOL

I too would be opposed to purposely trolling more.

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:39

I know
Good.

-------------
What?

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:40
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

LOL

I too would be opposed to purposely trolling more.

You just don't like trolls because we eat ponies and cats. AngryEvil Smile

-------------

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 12:21
Trolling is a art.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 12:47
Hardly.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 12:52
Perhaps more a work of fart?

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Just like smoking, fur farming and gay sex it's a morally offensive practice and as such should NOT be tolerated UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Personally I never do it myself. Voted for (3).

You're always trolling, Vomps.

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 20:59
We do all troll sometimes.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 03:49

These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Trolling is entertaining, from the truly inept to the down right nasty, as long as you are a spectator its entertainment value is without question, yet I can still hold the view of no trolling whatsoever; while recognising that a little trolling is okay and we all troll sometimes (can't say I'd ever admit to the idea that the PA needs more trolling, but that's by the by).

Woooow, I'm really getting worried for my mental health here!!!ShockedOuchConfusedConfused
I'm again agreeing with you... it's happened a few times in the last week or so.... ShockedShockedShocked
something must be wrong with my intellectual capacities of late... I think I' ll check outa psychiastristTongueLOLBig smile

Hey, I'll admit to being the occasional troll here (and not just hereEmbarrassedLOL) once in a while, mostly for sportsApproveCool.

Efven if my general over-use of emoticons/smileys generally soften my trollingWink

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 03:56
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

something must be wrong with my intellectual capacities of late... I think I' ll check outa psychiastristTongueLOLBig smile

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Tongue

-------------
What?

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 04:05

but Snowie and Mr. Lemming also qualify sometimes Tongue

What?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 04:16
I only troll threads that are already off-topic or terrible. >_>
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Speaking of Walter, I haven't seen him around here in some time. Shocked

I was hoping he had finally given up, but http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77300&KW=&PID=4133924#4133924" rel="nofollow - c'est la vie

Im a little curious about this subject - I was introduced to the phenomenon here,

Really? Are you new to forums? 

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 06:03

or this

this is what fishermen means by trollong

this is was fantasy nerds will call trolling

-------------

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 06:19
Agoraphobic Nosebleed?

WTF?

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 07:03
There's some trolling going on in this house right now.  Stern Smile

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 07:09
Only an ironic semi-troll - completely irrelevant to the discussion, inspired by the banner ad for the aforementioned band Agoraphobic Nosebleed which prompted (a) my WTF comment & (b) my post as an example of irrelevant trolling

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 07:33
...which due to GoogleAds targeted profiling, was only visible to Jim. Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 07:34

Which due to Adblock I can't see.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 07:35

It's true, I've never seen it. I only get Duff McKagan's Loaded and President Trump? ads, which I find insulting, Google. :(

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 07:38
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn ,

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 08:46
Trolling is frustrating to read but entertaining to perform. I used to do it on the imdb, but then again that site is rife with it! Here not so much thankfully.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 08:46

WHOOOOOOOARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

etc

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 08:59

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Tongue

Touché !!!!!!!  LOL

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 09:11
You can't walk across my bridge. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 10:13
This poll stinks. I'd rather listen to Close to the Edge (Dead) then do this poll.

But in all seriousness, cool poll. We all troll sometimes. Big smile

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 10:17
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

This poll stinks. I'd rather listen to Close to the Edge (Dead) then do this poll.

But in all seriousness, cool poll. We all troll sometimes. Big smile

All too true. This is a fine example. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 12:11
#3.....Since the internet is 98% Entertaining and 2% Other (+/- a couple %)........its Entertaining to troll!!

Big smile

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 13:00
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

It's true, I've never seen it. I only get Duff McKagan's Loaded and President Trump? ads, which I find insulting, Google. :(

Google cares not for your feelings, plebeian.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 13:16
A forum without trolls would totally suck. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 13:16
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Google cares not for your feelings, plebeian.
I get GoogleAds for Hotel Chocolat - you don't see me complaining.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 13:35
A little trolling is okay. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 13:44
These admins are the real trolls...

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 14:57
We all troll sometimes. PA needs more trolling, and trolling is entertaining. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 16:22
It's only entertaining if people fall for it, which is why Walter is my hero.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 16:49
^ that was so much better when it said "all for it" Big smile

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

A forum without trolls would totally suck. 
So would a forum that was totally populated by trolls.

...but you knew that.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 16:55
you should see this movie Dean http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

-------------

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 21:16
Trolling is the only reason I use forums.

Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 02:49
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

These admins are the real trolls...

And you really don't want to be trip, trap, tripping over our bridge:

And that's just the milkman!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk