Print Page | Close Window

The Official Phish Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78932
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 19:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Official Phish Appreciation Thread
Posted By: darkshade
Subject: The Official Phish Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: June 10 2011 at 11:47
Since every Phish thread here is locked, I figured I'd start a new one. I'm actually going to see them tonight in Camden, NJ for the first time EVER!!! I'm very excited, and have been listening to a lot of their music lately. Anyway this is the place for Phish discussions, and I know there's some fans here that come out of the wood work once in a while. So have at it Smile

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Replies:
Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 10 2011 at 11:57
I have the album Junta, but I don't really like it more then I find it to be okey, i dunno what it is but it certainly hassent clicked yet

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: June 10 2011 at 14:54

The new thread is fine.

Old threads end to be locked automatically if they are inactive. If anyone ever wants one re-opened, just PM an admin.Wink

Posted By: LandofLein
Date Posted: June 11 2011 at 02:45
Going to see them in San Francisco for the Outside Lands Festival in August

2 sets!

Date Posted: June 11 2011 at 14:47
Last night's show was absolutely amazing. The energy was intense, and most of the songs were all older songs. Fluffhead may have been the best thing to happen last night, and maybe the best version of that song Ive ever heard. Guyute and Down with Disease was really good too; I mean, the entire show was just unbelievable. 

-------------

Posted By: progressivemetalhead
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 13:38
Yes.. gotta get a serving of phish every now and then..

Posted By: Terrarium
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 13:48
I am a humongous Phish head. I've seen them 30 times at this point, and I will say they are one of my favorite bands. I'm not surprised at all they're underrated on here, it's a prog website, not Jambase. I've never been too into dungeons and dragons prog-rock live-in-your-grandma's-basement-playing-WOW prog like it seems so much is mentioned on here. That's the main reason, I think, Phish doesn't register, is because the Prog-rock world is all about albums, and the Phish experience cannot be experienced thru albums, but thru live shows. Same with the Grateful Dead. I was into prog-rock before jam bands. But once I gave it a solid listen, I realized how CRIMINAL it was that I wrote them off.

That was what initially kept me from listening to them. People always correlated Phish with with The Dead, obviously, but beyond the approach to music, the similarities end there. Phish is Zappa-influenced. The Gamehendge series with the dialogue in the shows was all taken from Zappa. Before Phish, Frank was the ONLY one doing that kinda stage theatrics. I think people don't wanna get into Phish cuz that means they'll hafta get into LIVE stuff, and, god forbid, leave the computer to see a concert.

Not everything Phish has done has been "prog-rock", for sure, but if you listen to the early music, like Junta, Rift, Lawn Boy, jam band is not the really the right term for it. They're long, intricate, complex, elaborate, tight compositions like David Bowie, You Enjoy Myself, Fluffhead. They're all around 20 mns long compositions. They have great artistic merit just like Yes, too. And the musicianship is phenomenal. They were one of the most important bands in the 90s, too. Trey Anastasio is an unbelievable guitarrist. And they're influenced by 70s rock. They were even the band to induct Genesis into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm not saying everyone will or should be into them on here, but I do think it's criminal that jam bands like Phish aren't even recognized on this site. That is all.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 13:49
Shouldn't this be title the Ophishal Phish Appreciation Thread? LOL

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 22:21
Originally posted by Terrarium Terrarium wrote:

I'm not saying everyone will or should be into them on here, but I do think it's criminal that jam bands like Phish aren't even recognized on this site. That is all.

Exactly. Ive been saying for years how insane prog fans are denying themselves of Phish's music, as there is a very good chance of one enjoying them.

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 03:03
It's ridiculous. I blame the media. When i was in high school, i was obscessed with Pink Floyd, and other British prog bands, loved the intricate, elaborate, psychedelic type music like that. Phish was never played for me, to me, i knew not one song. The media back then used to lump them in with Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows, all the boring, bland music I was just not into back then. Once I got curious enough, and internet access, I discovered how amazing they are, and was just floored as to how I had not discovered them years before that.

The fact that Metallica is put under prog-related, and Phish is not, is just retarded. Granted, 80s Metallica albums definately ARE vaguely prog, and are masterpiece albums, to put a thrash band like them on, not Phish is just a sign of musical ignorance. Meaning people are not musically well-versed on here. Phish is far more prog-related then Metallica. 

Umphrey's McGee is another awesome band some kid mentioned on here, too, much like Phish, came out 13 years later, are big in the jam band scene, ZERO exposure in prog-rock that I know of, but they are very much prog-rock. They have more of a metal sound then Phish, they're Dream Theater nerds.

Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 03:06
What drives me nuts isn't that people "hate" phish on here, but that they're just completely unaware.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 15:22
I first got into them in 1992, after hearing a friend's copy of "Lawn Boy".  The first two songs (Squirming Coil and Reba) actually sound a lot like Genesis songs (roughly, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight and Harold the Barrel/Firth of Fifth, respectively).  I was floored.  And then they follow those two with a purposely stupid little country tune.  this was the band for me.  I was an obsessed fan for the next six years, and saw them about 20 times during that interval.  I have many live tapes in boxes in a storage closet.  I'll pull one out every now and then.

I stopped going to see them for two reasons: first, my best friend with whom I used to attend all the shows moved out of state; second, it just wasn't the same once they hit big outdoor venues.  I know that sounds bitchy, but it simply wasn't as much fun any more. 

On top of that, they had been gradually moving away from the complex progressive compositions that were their bread and butter up through '93-ish (when "Hoist" came out and signaled a new era for Phish).  Although their early stuff like "You Enjoy Myself" (their most oft-performed piece of all time) still forms the meat of their sets to this day, I've just lost track of their newer material so I'm not as up to speed when listening to live shows (and it does help to be familiar with the songs).

I'm not complaining, or even saying it's not good, it's just that the band has evolved and so have I. Our "sweet spot" was the early to mid 90s, and although I look back in fondness at that time, I realize I can't ever re-live it.  I do still enjoy listening to them now and then, particularly the real early stuff.  The Colorado '88 3 disc set is excellent for that.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by Terrarium Terrarium wrote:

It's ridiculous. I blame the media. When i was in high school, i was obscessed with Pink Floyd, and other British prog bands, loved the intricate, elaborate, psychedelic type music like that. Phish was never played for me, to me, i knew not one song. The media back then used to lump them in with Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows, all the boring, bland music I was just not into back then. Once I got curious enough, and internet access, I discovered how amazing they are, and was just floored as to how I had not discovered them years before that.

The fact that Metallica is put under prog-related, and Phish is not, is just retarded. Granted, 80s Metallica albums definately ARE vaguely prog, and are masterpiece albums, to put a thrash band like them on, not Phish is just a sign of musical ignorance. Meaning people are not musically well-versed on here. Phish is far more prog-related then Metallica. 

Umphrey's McGee is another awesome band some kid mentioned on here, too, much like Phish, came out 13 years later, are big in the jam band scene, ZERO exposure in prog-rock that I know of, but they are very much prog-rock. They have more of a metal sound then Phish, they're Dream Theater nerds.

Agreed with everything; except Phish ARE under prog-related. However, Ive been trying to get them moved to a legitimate prog sub-genre, but every thread I start on it barely gets noticed... They're first 4 or 5 albums are very prog, and there are traces of it throughout their other albums. They also have a bunch of songs that are very prog, but never made it onto an official studio album, though they are played live often. And don't even get me started on the experimentation during many of their shows.

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:08
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

On top of that, they had been gradually moving away from the complex progressive compositions that were their bread and butter up through '93-ish (when "Hoist" came out and signaled a new era for Phish).  Although their early stuff like "You Enjoy Myself" (their most oft-performed piece of all time) still forms the meat of their sets to this day, I've just lost track of their newer material so I'm not as up to speed when listening to live shows (and it does help to be familiar with the songs).

On their most recent album "Joy", they do some different things, and the album features the song "Time Turns Elastic" which is an epic, much like the older ones, featuring long complex instrumental sections, and Zappa-esque guitar riffs. There's even a couple of parts that are completely new for Phish, and make me go "wow, I can't believe this is Phish playing this" (in a good way).

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Shouldn't this be title the Ophishal Phish Appreciation Thread? Stern Smile

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

On their most recent album "Joy", they do some different things, and the album features the song "Time Turns Elastic" which is an epic, much like the older ones, featuring long complex instrumental sections, and Zappa-esque guitar riffs. There's even a couple of parts that are completely new for Phish, and make me go "wow, I can't believe this is Phish playing this" (in a good way).

Yeah, they never completely lost touch with their "prog" side, even on their newer material.  I think it was the Farmhouse album where they really lost me.  Some good songs (Heavy Things, Bug, First Tube), but just not the same band I fell in love with.  It was more like singer-songwriter roots music stuff, which isn't my bag at all.  But I think since then they've circled back a bit and played more to their strengths.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 14:59
Ah I'm sorry, I forgot this thread existed. If the mods could delete the new one I made, that'd be great

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 15:01
Ive been recently in a Phish mood (always pops up every so often), and got some new shows from the fall 97 tour 12/07/97, 12/29/97, and 12/30/97. I love this tour, and recently got the boxset that came out a couple months ago from the late November 97 shows.

Besides 97 shows, I'm also a big fan of 94, 95, and 98 shows. But from later tours, I'm a big fan of summer 2011 shows, they were really on a roll last summer, and I can't wait til they come back this summer.

What are your favorite songs? I of course am very much a fan of any of their proggy songs, like You Enjoy Myself, David Bowie, Reba (My absolute favorite), etc. But I also like Llama, Tube, Sand, First Tube, Golgi Apparatus, and Rift. But there's so many, I love most of them.

Their most recent album had a new epic called Time Turns Elastic. Some have mixed feeling about it, but I think it's one of their best songs in a while.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 15:33
Ah, the Phish thread.

I'll have to check to see if I have any Fall 1997 shows, I probably do, and I'll re-visit them. 

I think the peak of my Phishing days was three consecutive shows at the Fox Theater (Atlanta) in November 1995. What a nice run that was.  I think most of my 20-odd shows happened in either '94 or '95.  The most memorable single show was Halloween 1996, when they played the Remain in Light album.  Unbelievable.

I've been keeping an eye on setlists in recent years, and they're quite impressive.  I even saw a clip on Youtube of them playing one of Mike's old self-recorded 4-track songs from "The White Tape", from back before Phish even existed.  That's digging deep for you.

Quick top 10 songs, no order:
(I won't include Y.E.M. as I think I've maxed out on that one)

Run Like an Antelope << prob my quintessential favorite
Punch You in the Eye/Landlady
Divided Sky
David Bowie
The Lizards
McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters
Colonel Forbin's Ascent
Theme From the Bottom
Harpua
Julius, Down With Disease, one of those

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 16:54
^ Hey yea, 94 and 95 Phish is them at their peak in terms of performance and energy. I just love the fall 97 shows for the 'cow funk' and the loose jazzy feel, of course the real jazzy Phish comes from the 89-91 eras.

I'd say check out 06/10/2011 for a really great show from recent shows.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 17:09
I just reached the P's in my alphabetical journey through my collection, so Phish is looming on the horizon.  Listening to all of the stuff that I have from them will probably be a month-long project all on its own.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 17:24
Yea, coming back around to the band seems like an endless marathon, as I now have over 5 and a half days worth of Phish, most of it live shows.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 18:57
I found 12/6 and 12/30/97 on CD in my collection, gonna bring them with me tomorrow to listen again. Also got some moe. out since Aginor reminded me I hadn't listened to them in a while either!

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 10 2012 at 18:59
.moe is good, though they are my #3 jam band, behind Phish and Umphrey's McGee respectively. The Dead are #4.

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2012 at 19:07
On a whim I bought a new Phish live CD, the full concert from 7/15/03.  I'm pretty sure this is the first show I've heard from the '00-'05 period, so I figured it would be a nice addition to the collection.  The set list looked interesting too, not your typical set list.  Has quite a few songs I've never heard before, as well as a few huge favorites of mine that I don't have many live recordings of.

Set 1: 
AC/DC Bag (a real early song they seem to like to play a lot, but I don't think it's all that special)

Ya Mar (another early song, a cover of some song they once heard played by some obscure beach bar band. Lovely)

Theme From the Bottom (one of the reasons I bought this. One of their finest songs, and not all that common on setlists. Dreamtastic psych ballad)

Saw it Again (don't know this one)

Poor Heart (the obligatory hoedown song... they have a few of these and I guess they're fun but it's not my thing)

Two Versions of Me (don't know this one)

Secret Smile (nor this one)

Mike's Song/I Am Hydrogen/Weekapaug Groove (ah yes, one of their greatest live vehicles, and another reason I bought this, since I was in the mood for a fresh Mike's.  When I saw them a lot in the 90s, they usually replaced "I Am Hydrogen" with any number of other songs, including a catchy jam that eventually became its own song, the lovable "Simple". But I rarely saw them play Hydrogen)

Set 2:
This is the set I listened to first.  Sometimes their 2nd sets are virtually just one song with a bunch of other songs interspersed with it.  Back in the old days, they would occasionally do that with "Tweezer".  On this particular day, they did it with:

Mr. Completely (a song I've never heard.  Cool rockin' song, but hardly worth a 35 minute jam (including a little spontaneous take on "Low Rider"); though the last 10 minutes of the jam really started to get interesting... and then the fun starts...)

Big Black Furry Creature From Mars ( the main reason I bought this.  a furious punk song that always seems to pop up unexpectedly, and rarely.  I love this song so much. I wish they'd put it on an album)

Buried Alive (in the middle of BBFCFM, they suddenly bring back this ultra-rarily that I don't remember ever hearing since the early 90s, just a quick little guitar melody over a chugging rhythm, and then back into...)

Big Black Furry Creature From Mars (another verse! More screaming! hooray!)

Ha Ha Ha ( I remember they debuted this song on their '95 tour. A brief riff-based instrumental, save for the "ha ha ha" vocals.  I guess they didn't like it that much, because they retired it soon after, but now they bring it back for 26 head scratching seconds.  And then back to the exciting conclusion of...)

Big Black Furry Creature from Mars (the exciting conclusion)

Mr Completely (remember him? He started all this madness.  Anyway, just a continuation of the boring one chord jam from before, but with a bit more oomph this time, as they only do it for 5 more minutes, and then into...)

Spread it 'Round (never heard this one, but it sounds so far like a country ballad. whatevah)

Walls of the Cave (haven't heard this yet, but it's 14 minutes long, which is either a good or a bad thing)

Golgi Apparatus (an old crowd pleaser.  I always sang the chorus as "I SAW YOU! / With a Chicken Sub in your hand!")

Slave to the Traffic Light (probably their oldest song, it's got atmosphere but I've never liked them closing sets with it, too mellow)

Encore:

Sleeping Monkey (snore... I don't know why they don't hang this song up.  It's the most boring song they ever wrote)

---

ok then, what do you think?

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 25 2012 at 20:20
Wow, what a weird set, especially that second set. I'm not a big fan of their 2003 shows, but that one looks like it was a good one.

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2012 at 08:15
I just looked up that mammoth song that took up most of the 2nd set, "Mr Completely".  Turns out this show is the only time Phish has played that song in concert.  It's actually a Trey Anastasio solo song that he regularly plays with the Trey Anastasio Band.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 26 2012 at 15:04
This party I'm going to tonight will probably be playing a lot of Phish and Umphrey's McGee, so I might fall back into Phish-mode. I have been listening to Umphrey's a bit lately too, so we'll see.

I wanted to see Phish in Atlantic City a couple weekends ago, but it was not to be. I know their show from this past Saturday was a killer show, I have to get it soon.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:04
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Here's a question for Phish fans. I have heard one album that sounded like jazz music meets hippie jam band meets prog. I think it was live. But they had multiple wind instruments in the group, and it sounded AMAZING and have NEVER heard anything compared to that album. But I have never been able to find that album again. And because of that amazing album, every single phish album has disappointed me since then.

What am I thinking of?

I think you're looking for Live Phish Vol. 19, recorded July 12, 1991.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:09
I have their 7-29-03 show.  From their Live Phish set, I have volumes 1-5; 8-9; and 13-16.  I never bought 6 because it came with the binder and was more expensive then the others.  I kind of wish that i had now as I don't really see any of these around anymore.

-------------

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:11

Here's a question for Phish fans. I have heard one album that sounded like jazz music meets hippie jam band meets prog. I think it was live. But they had multiple wind instruments in the group, and it sounded AMAZING and have NEVER heard anything compared to that album. But I have never been able to find that album again. And because of that amazing album, every single phish album has disappointed me since then.

What am I thinking of?

Wow. Awesome- Thank you for remembering that!

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I have their 7-29-03 show.  From their Live Phish set, I have volumes 1-5; 8-9; and 13-16.  I never bought 6 because it came with the binder and was more expensive then the others.  I kind of wish that i had now as I don't really see any of these around anymore.

Vol. 6 is great, it's a Wipeout-themed show. Also you need some fall '97 Phish (the cow funk era... aka "Phish Destroys America"). Live Phish vol. 11, from 11-17-97; also archived shows from livephish.net like 12-6-97, 12-7-97, 12-29-97, 12-30-97, 11-21-97. All of these shows are amazing, some sets have just 4 songs.

Also, check out The Island Tour.

You can still order the Live Phish series on Amazon or livephish.net

What am I thinking of?

Wow. Awesome- Thank you for remembering that!

No problem Smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 14:00
Listening to some of their studio albums. Brings back fond memories of a simpler time.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 18:58
Home, home again, I like to be here when I can...

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:45
Listening to Farmhouse now.  I bought Live Volume 6 on-line the other day and now await delivery.

Amazon is having a massive Phish MP3 download deal.  All of their albums are on sale for $2.99 and their live albums are for $3.99 or $4.99.  I am thinking of dropping some cash on these deals.  Right now I am thinking about getting The White Tape, which they have for $2.99.  Seems to be just a curiosity factor deal.  Has anybody heard this?

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:52

Listening to Farmhouse now.  I bought Live Volume 6 on-line the other day and now await delivery.

Amazon is having a massive Phish MP3 download deal.  All of their albums are on sale for $2.99 and their live albums are for $3.99 or $4.99.  I am thinking of dropping some cash on these deals.  Right now I am thinking about getting The White Tape, which they have for $2.99.  Seems to be just a curiosity factor deal.  Has anybody heard this?
The White Tape is pretty fun - it plays more like a bunch of 4-track experiments by Trey and/or Mike, some of them pre-Phish, but there's some early full group songs too (e.g. Alumni Blues).  There's an early "Run Like an Antelope" on it, as well as a track  titled "You Enjoy Myself" but is actually just a 1 minute a capella rendition of the opening theme to that well-loved piece.  There's a cool hard rock solo piece by Mike called "F--k Your Face" which I like, too.

If you're a fan, go for it.  It's fun, and it gives a little bit of history.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just getting into Phish though.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:01
Live Phish Vol. 6 is a great show. You won't be disappointed. I think that one's got the Wipeout-theme.

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:13

The White Tape is pretty fun - it plays more like a bunch of 4-track experiments by Trey and/or Mike, some of them pre-Phish, but there's some early full group songs too (e.g. Alumni Blues).  There's an early "Run Like an Antelope" on it, as well as a track  titled "You Enjoy Myself" but is actually just a 1 minute a capella rendition of the opening theme to that well-loved piece.  There's a cool hard rock solo piece by Mike called "F--k Your Face" which I like, too.

If you're a fan, go for it.  It's fun, and it gives a little bit of history.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just getting into Phish though.
Really can't beat $2.99 for it.  I'd rather have a physical copy, but for that kind of deal I really can't resist.  I am kind of drooling over the Live Phish series albums selling for $4.99.  Really never ever going to find a better deal than that without illegally downloading them.  Again I would really like to have physical copies, but I guess this gives me incentive to wait until I find them for really cheap deals.

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:26
Live Phish Vol 20 (12/29/1994) is one I'd recommend too.  Mainly because of the first song of the second set -- a 35 minute exploration of "David Bowie" that goes places I've never heard them go before or since.  It gets pretty scary.  I can almost see them looking at each other thinking, "are we really doing this?"

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 26 2012 at 15:41
Crap.  I missed out on downloading the concerts for the cheap price.  I didn't realize that the Amazon sale was ending.

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2012 at 15:23
People legally share concert recordings of Phish all the time (like the Dead, Phish and other jam bands condone this).  If you have the patience for it, you can legally get any show you want for free somewhere online.  Many of them are almost releasable quality these days.

But you're probably like me, and don't want to go to that trouble.  I get almost all of my shows from a friend of mine who does all the leg work.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 27 2012 at 15:34
^ I'm someone who just HAS to have excellent quality recordings, so just about all of the shows I have from any jam bands are officially released by the band in some way or another (live album, or soundboards from the band's websites). Only rarely will I get a soundboard from archives.org or somewhere like that. The whole bootleg 'thing' is, like, right before my time. Most shows from any jam band are available in excellent to perfect quality.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 28 2012 at 17:46
It's a nice day today, it's a Phish day today.

Listened to Vegas 96 for the first time this afternoon. Another excellent concert, another terrific second set with a 20m Simple and a 15m Harry...and the encore, man!   
Will watch the IT dvd tonight; came very, very close to attend the event in 2003 but unfortunatly it didn't happen. Think i cried for a whole week. I was quite thrilled some months later when i heard a dvd of the festival was about to be release. A must have!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2012 at 17:49
The IT Festival DVD is just a PBS documentary special of the event on disc 1, and disc 2 is just selections from the festival, unfortunately, and not the whole thing, or even a whole set. They are full songs though.

-------------

Posted By: WormHole
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 10:08
phis they are awesome

-------------

Posted By: BassoonAng
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 16:24
./appreciated.

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 20:43
One thing I absolutely love about Phish's music, is those beautiful, sometimes delicate, epic melodies, and how catchy they are. You know, like, the end of The Lizards, that melody in the middle of Horn, all the Divided Sky melodies, First Tube,Stash, that middle theme in Golgi Apparatus, the 'Rift' theme in The Curtain With, etc...

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 20:50
The last part of "Lizards" and the the whole of "Divided Sky" still get me choked up every time.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 03:12

One thing I absolutely love about Phish's music, is those beautiful, sometimes delicate, epic melodies, and how catchy they are. You know, like, the end of The Lizards, that melody in the middle of Horn, all the Divided Sky melodies, First Tube,Stash, that middle theme in Golgi Apparatus, the 'Rift' theme in The Curtain With, etc...

I always found the beginning of You Enjoy Myself to be uncontrollably beautiful. Actually, pretty much the entire song. God I love that chill jazz sound. If you played any of their songs to someone brand new to 'real' music, I'm sure they'll say "This music is too 'old' for me". You could never guess they started up in the 90's.

Actually, the few times I saw commercials for Phish concerts years ago, I thought they were a religious band.

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 06:02
Well, they kinda are.  Many fans go see them religiously.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 10:19
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

I always found the beginning of You Enjoy Myself to be uncontrollably beautiful. Actually, pretty much the entire song. God I love that chill jazz sound. If you played any of their songs to someone brand new to 'real' music, I'm sure they'll say "This music is too 'old' for me". You could never guess they started up in the 90's.

Actually, the few times I saw commercials for Phish concerts years ago, I thought they were a religious band.

They actually started up in 1983, and you can find shows from '84 on. Most of those songs you and I mentioned were actually written in the mid-late 80s, which makes it even more amazing. I agree that YEM is another one with beautiful melodies, especially after the spacey 'nirvana' section (the studio version doesn't have the spacey section). Reba is probably their only epic that doesn't have those beautiful melodies, because the verses are more playful, and the middle section is one of the most complex pieces of music in progressive rock, easily. However, it does have the absolutely beautiful lydian jam section, which can sometimes move me to tears, so it has that going for it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 10:31
After hearing the song about 15 times in the last two weeks I finally broke down and had to look up the lyrics to You Enjoy Myself.  "Wash uffitzi, drive me to Firenze".  I thought they were saying "What's your fee to drive me to Valenzi", but I couldn't figure it out.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:28

After hearing the song about 15 times in the last two weeks I finally broke down and had to look up the lyrics to You Enjoy Myself.  "Wash uffitzi, drive me to Firenze".  I thought they were saying "What's your fee to drive me to Valenzi", but I couldn't figure it out.
There an online database which tracks all their set lists, and according to that, "You Enjoy Myself" is their most often-performed song across their entire history.  So I'm not surprised you've heard it that many times in the last 2 weeks.

I think the story of that lyric originates from a friend who picked up a hitch hiker in Italy, and this friend had smelly feet.  The hitch hiker apparently said, "wash your feet and drive me to Firenze (aka Florence)", which, with the Italian accent, came out like "washa uffitze drive me to firenze", and became an in-joke.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:37
I've probably listened to You Enjoy Myself over 100 times in my life, with Reba probably 200 (Last.fm only has a percentage of my plays, as I listened to a lot of Phish before getting an account, and a lot when my computer died a few years back).

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:39
I guess that I only have 8 versions of it, and I have only heard it 5 times in the last two weeks; I guess that it just seems as though I had heard it more times than that.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:45
The first Phish show I ever attended:

http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1993-02-19" rel="nofollow">Link http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1993-02-19" rel="nofollow - Friday, 02/19/1993
http://phish.net/venue/235" rel="nofollow - Roxy Theatre , Atlanta, GA

Set 1: http://phish.net/song/loving-cup" rel="nofollow - Loving Cup , http://phish.net/song/rift" rel="nofollow - Rift , http://phish.net/song/split-open-and-melt" rel="nofollow - Split Open and Melt , http://phish.net/song/fee" rel="nofollow - Fee [1] -> http://phish.net/song/maze" rel="nofollow - Maze , http://phish.net/song/colonel-forbins-ascent" rel="nofollow - Colonel Forbin's Ascent > http://phish.net/song/fly-famous-mockingbird" rel="nofollow - Fly Famous Mockingbird [2] > http://phish.net/song/sparkle" rel="nofollow - Sparkle , http://phish.net/song/my-friend-my-friend" rel="nofollow - My Friend, My Friend [3], http://phish.net/song/poor-heart" rel="nofollow - Poor Heart > http://phish.net/song/david-bowie" rel="nofollow - David Bowie -> http://phish.net/song/moby-dick" rel="nofollow - Moby Dick [4] > http://phish.net/song/david-bowie" rel="nofollow - David Bowie [5]

Set 2: http://phish.net/song/runaway-jim" rel="nofollow - Runaway Jim , http://phish.net/song/its-ice" rel="nofollow - It's Ice > http://phish.net/song/paul-and-silas" rel="nofollow - Paul and Silas , http://phish.net/song/you-enjoy-myself" rel="nofollow - You Enjoy Myself > http://phish.net/song/ya-mar" rel="nofollow - Ya Mar [6], http://phish.net/song/big-ball-jam" rel="nofollow - Big Ball Jam [7], http://phish.net/song/lawn-boy" rel="nofollow - Lawn Boy , http://phish.net/song/funky-bitch" rel="nofollow - Funky Bitch [8], http://phish.net/song/my-sweet-one" rel="nofollow - My Sweet One [9], http://phish.net/song/hold-your-head-up" rel="nofollow - Hold Your Head Up [8] > http://phish.net/song/love-you" rel="nofollow - Love You [10] > http://phish.net/song/hold-your-head-up" rel="nofollow - Hold Your Head Up [8], http://phish.net/song/llama" rel="nofollow - Llama [8], http://phish.net/song/amazing-grace" rel="nofollow - Amazing Grace [11]

Encore: http://phish.net/song/acdc-bag" rel="nofollow - AC/DC Bag

Special guest: Jimmy Herrring (guitar, set 2)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts: I got so drunk I barely remember this show.  As a result, I drank only a little bit at every show I saw from then on.  I didn't want to miss anything.

Strange that the first song they played at my first show was a Rolling Stones cover, a song I wasn't even familiar with at the time!

"Big Ball Jam" was this thing they were doing on that tour where they unleashed a gigantic beach ball into the crowd, and improvised based on how it bounced around the room.  A whimsical idea that didn't really work.

Jimmy Herring, of the Aquarium Rescue Unit (and a very highly regarded guitarist at the time) guested during the 2nd set.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:55
^ Is that show part of the Roxy box set that got released a few years ago? If so, and I'm sure it is, that's 2 shows that got officially released by the band; meaning they were especially good shows. Good job.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:20
^^ Yes, it is.  I haven't heard it though.  The second night, 2/20/93, is generally considered to be the superior show of the three night stand, and I have that one on tape somewhere.

I'll have to look and see if there are any other shows I attended which have been released by the band, but I don't recall any offhand.  All of my shows were from 1993-1998.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:31
Woop here's another one I attended that was released on CD:

http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1995-10-21" rel="nofollow">Link http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1995-10-21" rel="nofollow - Saturday, 10/21/1995
http://phish.net/venue/689" rel="nofollow - Pershing Auditorium , Lincoln, NE

Set 1: http://phish.net/song/tweezer-reprise" rel="nofollow - Tweezer Reprise , http://phish.net/song/chalk-dust-torture" rel="nofollow - Chalk Dust Torture , http://phish.net/song/guelah-papyrus" rel="nofollow - Guelah Papyrus , http://phish.net/song/reba" rel="nofollow - Reba [1], http://phish.net/song/wilson" rel="nofollow - Wilson > http://phish.net/song/cars-trucks-buses" rel="nofollow - Cars Trucks Buses , http://phish.net/song/kung" rel="nofollow - Kung > http://phish.net/song/the-lizards" rel="nofollow - The Lizards , http://phish.net/song/strange-design" rel="nofollow - Strange Design , http://phish.net/song/acoustic-army" rel="nofollow - Acoustic Army , http://phish.net/song/good-times-bad-times" rel="nofollow - Good Times Bad Times -> http://phish.net/song/tweezer-reprise" rel="nofollow - Tweezer Reprise

Set 2: http://phish.net/song/also-sprach-zarathustra" rel="nofollow - Also Sprach Zarathustra > http://phish.net/song/david-bowie" rel="nofollow - David Bowie , http://phish.net/song/lifeboy" rel="nofollow - Lifeboy , http://phish.net/song/sparkle" rel="nofollow - Sparkle > http://phish.net/song/you-enjoy-myself" rel="nofollow - You Enjoy Myself > http://phish.net/song/purple-rain" rel="nofollow - Purple Rain > http://phish.net/song/hold-your-head-up" rel="nofollow - Hold Your Head Up , http://phish.net/song/harry-hood" rel="nofollow - Harry Hood [2], http://phish.net/song/suzy-greenberg" rel="nofollow - Suzy Greenberg [3]

Encore: http://phish.net/song/highway-to-hell" rel="nofollow - Highway to Hell

--------------------------------------------

Thoughts:  I'd met a girl at my friend's wedding, the groom's cousin, and she lived in Iowa, on the border near Lincoln NE.  We exchanged letters for a while, and I flew up there to go to a show with her and stayed with her for a few days.  So I have fond memories of this show, even though I got in a car accident on the way to the airport in Atlanta.  I remember the first set being especially good, with the Led Zeppelin song "Good Times Bad Times" being extended into a particularly inspired jam, climaxing neatly with a reprise of Tweezer Reprise, which had opened the set (the first time I think they'd ever played Tweezer Reprise without playing Tweezer.  In fact, I've still never seen Tweezer live).

"Strange Design" was a short, lyrical Page McConnell ballad they were trying out around that time.  I think it ended up as a b-side for "Free".

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:33
^ What official live album is that one from?? Never knew they've opened a set with Tweezer Reprise, a usual concert closer.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:39

^ What official live album is that one from?? Never knew they've opened a set with Tweezer Reprise, a usual concert closer.
This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phish-10-21-95/dp/B000WW27LG/ref=sr_1_28?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344015387&sr=1-28&keywords=phish+live" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phish-10-21-95/dp/B000WW27LG/ref=sr_1_28?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344015387&sr=1-28&keywords=phish+live

The thing is, I'd joked with people before about what the funniest opening song would be (yeah, we were nerds), and "Tweezer Reprise" seemed like a funny candidate, as it always was tied to its parent "Tweezer" before.  So when they opened with that, I nearly fell out.  If texting had been invented then, I would have texted my friends at that moment.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:54

What is the deal with the Wilson storyline?  Are there a number of songs that are interrelated to tell a concept story?  Is it based on a book or something?  Seems like Captain Forbin's Ascent and Fly Famous Mockingbird are related. Also Icculus, and The Lizards. These aren't studio albums though, so are they just improv type pieces that they play with live? 

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:56

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phish-10-21-95/dp/B000WW27LG/ref=sr_1_28?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344015387&sr=1-28&keywords=phish+live" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phish-10-21-95/dp/B000WW27LG/ref=sr_1_28?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344015387&sr=1-28&keywords=phish+live

The thing is, I'd joked with people before about what the funniest opening song would be (yeah, we were nerds), and "Tweezer Reprise" seemed like a funny candidate, as it always was tied to its parent "Tweezer" before.  So when they opened with that, I nearly fell out.  If texting had been invented then, I would have texted my friends at that moment.

Oh of course. I don't actually have that one, but I always notice it because of the batmobile.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:58

What is the deal with the Wilson storyline?  Are there a number of songs that are interrelated to tell a concept story?  Is it based on a book or something?  Seems like Captain Forbin's Ascent and Fly Famous Mockingbird are related.  These aren't studio albums though, so are they just improv type pieces that they play with live?

Everything is explained here and more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamehendge" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamehendge

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 13:02
I should add that the character of Wilson, King of Prussia, was named after a leather manufacturer named "Wilson's" that is based out of, yes, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 13:14

What is the deal with the Wilson storyline?  Are there a number of songs that are interrelated to tell a concept story?  Is it based on a book or something?  Seems like Captain Forbin's Ascent and Fly Famous Mockingbird are related.  These aren't studio albums though, so are they just improv type pieces that they play with live?

Everything is explained here and more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamehendge" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamehendge
Thank you.  That was quite interesting.  I've heard these songs so many times over the years and had wondered about their origin but had never really dug into it further.  Have either of you guys heard his The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday release?

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 13:22

Thank you.  That was quite interesting.  I've heard these songs so many times over the years and had wondered about their origin but had never really dug into it further.  Have either of you guys heard his The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday release?

I haven't. It was never officially released by the band, but some copies of the album were circulated in the late-80s, but it's pretty much impossible to find it now. You're better off getting a show where the entire Gamehendge saga is performed.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 13:27
I've never heard the original TMWSIY either, but I have heard one or two concerts that perform it more or less in its entirety.  Something tells me the original wouldn't be all that great anyway.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 23:37
Hey there, I'm hoping for help on which album I should get now. I have Junta and love Phish, I'm gonna get their live albums AFTER some more studio, so please only studio recommendations. I love most their epics (of course) but I also like Fee. So, please help!

(I'm asking this because most of the album reviews are tied up, so I can't really follow that)

Tell me which direction I should go!

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 23:44
Get the follow-up to Junta: "Lawn Boy"

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 23:48
Thanks, good point, I should just continue through the series

Date Posted: August 03 2012 at 23:55
The first 4 albums are the best. The Story of the Ghost is their 7th or 8th albums, but contains music from that period of the 3rd and 4th albums, as well as other great songs. Once you have those 5 albums, you're pretty much ready to dive into some live stuff, unless you want to keep getting familiar with more of their songs so you're familiar with them once you eventually get some shows.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2012 at 00:01
Thanks for the advice, the live material's supposed to be the most classic aspect of Phish so I'll get those 5 albums then venture on to their live stuff

Date Posted: August 04 2012 at 00:05
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Thanks for the advice, the live material's supposed to be the most classic aspect of Phish so I'll get those 5 albums then venture on to their live stuff

I got those first 4 albums, Story of the Ghost, AND Farmhouse before I got into their live stuff. Hoist and Billy Breathes has good songs, but I find them all better live. The first 4 albums (Junta, Lawn Boy, A Picture of Nectar, and Rift) work as albums, but those songs also are better live, of course. It's just nice to know where the song ends, and the jams begin.

-------------

Posted By: somecallmetim
Date Posted: August 05 2012 at 10:59
For you prog fans that are fans of Phish - you should check out Umphrey's McGee - youll be very happy you did. 

Date Posted: August 06 2012 at 12:48

Phish's Tweezer Reprise used for Michael Phelps metal montage.  http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/03/tech/social-media/bellini-michael-phelps-phish/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5" rel="nofollow - http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/03/tech/social-media/bellini-michael-phelps-phish/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2012 at 14:09
Now playing:  You Enjoy Myself.  Now I can sing along. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:37
I listened to 12/29/1997 last night. The version of You Enjoy Myself on there is soo friggin good. One of their funkier shows, as it is from the fall '97 tour. Run Like An Antelope in funky mode is amazing.

A funny You Enjoy Myself is from the Vegas '96 live album (I forget the actual date offhand). The vocal jam is hilarious,
"Donuts, I love donuts!"

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:38
Originally posted by somecallmetim somecallmetim wrote:

For you prog fans that are fans of Phish - you should check out Umphrey's McGee - youll be very happy you did. 

They are arguably the best jam band around these days, and should be as big as Phish became around 1995.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2012 at 12:11

Now playing:  You Enjoy Myself.  Now I can sing along. Thumbs Up
Once again You Enjoy Myself is the current playing song of the moment. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: August 14 2012 at 13:18
I've never listened to Phish, but Oysterhead is awesome Tongue

Date Posted: August 14 2012 at 13:54
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I've never listened to Phish, but Oysterhead is awesome Tongue

Not a lot of similarities, IMO. But I agree.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2012 at 14:52
You Enjoy Myself again!

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 11:04
Live Bait Volume 8 is available for free download on the LivePhish website in case anyone is interested.  http://livephish.com/music/0,710/Free-MP3-download-Live-Bait-Vol-08.html" rel="nofollow - http://livephish.com/music/0,710/Free-MP3-download-Live-Bait-Vol-08.html

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 11:33

Live Bait Volume 8 is available for free download on the LivePhish website in case anyone is interested.  http://livephish.com/music/0,710/Free-MP3-download-Live-Bait-Vol-08.html" rel="nofollow - http://livephish.com/music/0,710/Free-MP3-download-Live-Bait-Vol-08.html
Damn, that looks good!  Got an Antelope>BBFCFM>Antelope in there, doesn't get any better than that.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 12:43

Damn, that looks good!  Got an Antelope>BBFCFM>Antelope in there, doesn't get any better than that.
Yep.  Some good stuff on here.  I have finally reached the final song out of my Phish collection.  14 minute version of Tweezer.

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:21

Yep.  Some good stuff on here.  I have finally reached the final song out of my Phish collection.  14 minute version of Tweezer.

Getting burnt out on Phish? I always do when I listen to too many shows in a short period of time LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:24
Feeling a bit like Phried Phish.

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:26
Some days I can be perfectly happy listening to nothing but old Phish shows.  But it's not often.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:30
Is your mood getting...... Phishy?

Feeling..... Phished out?

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:31
Yes, but now I am ophishially done with listening to Phish for awhile.

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:33
You'll swim with the phishes!

-------------

Posted By: Cloud Forest
Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 14:43
 phish+shrooms=sweet LOL

this is what i have heard 

-------------

All Hail Geddy Lee!

Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 15:51
Phish + Too much Beer = Bad

I learned this at my first show, which I don't remember.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 08:42

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201311/phish-pen-song-about-memphis-heartbreaking-loss-conference-usa-tournament" rel="nofollow - Phish Pens Song About Memphis' Heartbreaking Loss In The Conference USA Tournament

The song

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2013 at 11:01
Anyone going to the New Years run at MSG this weekend? I'm going tonight, and maybe thinking about getting tickets for tomorrow night.

Anyone go to any Fall tour shows? The band is literally as good as they were in 1998 right now, maybe better.

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2013 at 12:38
Cool!  Have fun, and post the setlist if you can.
I don't think I've seen Phish since '98 myself.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 28 2013 at 12:50
Sure thing. Will do.

Phish.net also posts the set lists as the show is happening.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 09:21

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk