Print Page | Close Window

A RULE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9422
Printed Date: June 15 2024 at 13:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A RULE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!
Posted By: frenchie
Subject: A RULE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:05
long ago prog archives made a rule where if a band has more "non prog" albums than "prog albums" then they should not be added. Genesis nearly got booted out because of this rule.

Queen have technically violated this rule. However i do not have a problem with them being on this website... does the rule need to be revamped or clamped down more strictly to new bands coming into this website?

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Replies:
Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:07
I think it's a silly rule. Surely we should just use common sense when adding groups?

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:08
has anyone noticed how black sabbath, the who, the beatles and led zeppelin are much proggier than queen yet no1 is adding any of these bands.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:08

same applies for even metallica, megadeth and death

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:10
OR THE ARCADE FIRE!!!!!

oh wait

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Snow Dog
^ So add them Frenchie, thats what happened with Queen I believe.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Maani and I were talking about something that would allow for us to "include" them. The suggestion he made was for a Influenced/Proto-Prog section, so pretty much all those suggestions would apply. Of course, nothing has been finalized.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:12
i am not going to add any of the bands i mentioned... i will personally stick to the rule.

as for arcade fire i have put in a request for them to be deleted. this was a mistake of judgement and i apologise for insulting you hardcore proggers by adding them!

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:12
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Maani and I were talking about something that would allow for us to "include" them. The suggestion he made was for a Influenced/Proto-Prog section, so pretty much all those suggestions would apply. Of course, nothing has been finalized.

I feel this is really the way forward. I'd also suggest Queen get moved to such a section.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:14

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I feel this is really the way forward. I'd also suggest Queen get moved to such a section.

That's the way I feel. I am a big Queen fan (always have been), but I don't feel they deserve a place here.

-------------

Posted By: Hangedman
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:14

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^ So add them Frenchie, thats what happened with Queen I believe.

please dont frenchie

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:16
the influenced/proto prog is a good idea. we should still acknowledge albums such as sgt peppers that have had a historical impact on prog, even if the band themselves are not technically prog rock.

The Who are said to have made the first prog track, circa 1966, "A quick one while he is away". The Who, along with the beatles made some of the first concept albums with tommy and quadrophenia.

Black Sabbath arguably made some of the first ever prog metal tracks.

led zeppelin not only had a strong prog connection but jimmy page taking the bow to the guitar is something that inspired many post rock prog bands such as GYBE!.

These bands have strong prog connections but are not officially prog bands themselves.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:17

That's the way I feel. I am a big Queen fan (always have been), but I don't feel they deserve a place here.

I do. Well, they need acknowledging as so-called "proto-prog", hence my support for a section dealing with it.

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:19

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

has anyone noticed how black sabbath, the who, the beatles and led zeppelin are much proggier than queen yet no1 is adding any of these bands.

That's very true!! Especially, regarding Sabbath and Zep -- they were far more prog-related than Queen, not only concerning the musical quality but also concerning the consistent application of new ideas into the realms of rock.

Regards.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:20

the influenced/proto prog is a good idea. we should still acknowledge albums such as sgt peppers that have had a historical impact on prog, even if the band themselves are not technically prog rock.

The Who are said to have made the first prog track, circa 1966, "A quick one while he is away". The Who, along with the beatles made some of the first concept albums with tommy and quadrophenia.

Black Sabbath arguably made some of the first ever prog metal tracks.

led zeppelin not only had a strong prog connection but jimmy page taking the bow to the guitar is something that inspired many post rock prog bands such as GYBE!.

These bands have strong prog connections but are not officially prog bands themselves.

If we go ahead with this project, I already called the Who (my biography would be a little too long).

-------------

Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:27

I do. Well, they need acknowledging as so-called "proto-prog", hence my support for a section dealing with it.

A section named specifically "proto-prog" would not be the right place for QUEEN, as their first album was released in 1973 and the prefix proto- would give the connotation of QUEEN having been the first or the origin of something. There is no way that QUEEN were proto-Prog. For QUEEN specifically I favour Tony Banks' term for QUEEN ("imaginative pop"), or maani's term "progressive pop".

proto-

prefix

1. first in time, earliest
  • protolithic
  • protomartyr
  • 2. original, ancestral
  • protostar
  • Proto-Norse
  • 3. first in a series, having the least amount of a particular element or radical
  • protactinium
  • [From Greek prôtos ; ultimately related to pro (see pro2)]

Posted By: Humanizzimo
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:28
    Queen shoudnt be here...cant be considerated as a prog band...

I dont agre with the rule, because Genesis is Genesis...but Queen...

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:43

perhaps the section should be proto prog/influenced/post prog. i feel that bands like radiohead and muse are more post prog or influenced by prog rather than prog themselves. this is pushing it tho.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:51

Why not have two separate categories?

1. "imaginative pop"/"progressive pop" : bands such as QUEEN, 10CC, SUPERTRAMP. ELO etc.

2. "precursors to Prog"/"proto-Prog" : bands such as WISHBONE ASH, URIAH HEEP etc.

Seems a better solution than trying to put very different bands into the same basket.

Posted By: stonebeard
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:59
    make a section called "unpure" prog so we can all act like elitists and put whatever prog band we find not too prog in there.

-------------
    http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:02
    but is it up to us to decide? we would first need to agree on what bands go in this new genre and the exact name of the new genre.

we also need the attention of max and rony of which we do not yet have.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:12

frenchie, this would obviously have to be sanctioned by mailto:M@X - M@X and ProgLucky.

If they were to agree to the two categories, then the final decision as to which bands to admit would have to rest with them.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:35
    it would certianly be a big change to this website. perhaps there have been too many big changes lately. I think we should leave to Maani, Useful Idiot, Proglucky and mailto:M@X - M@X to sort out properly as they are the site runners.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: BaldFriede
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:43
    Queen are more a mockery of prog, just like Roxy Music were. A satirical comment on it.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Logos
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:46

long ago prog archives made a rule where if a band has more "non prog" albums than "prog albums" then they should not be added. Genesis nearly got booted out because of this rule.

That  would also get ELP booted so it's not that sensible a rule, is it?

Posted By: Certif1ed
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:51

Exactly.

What a silly rule it is.

Next topic!!!

Posted By: TheProgtologist
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:57

That's a VERY good idea

-------------

Posted By: The Wizard
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:59
    I think that bands like Queen should be added because they are good introduction to prog, not because they are pure prog.

Posted By: The Rock
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:19
     Man all this academic talk is making me dizzy! You guys really are prog elitists and take yourself seriously.So what if Queen and ELO and Radiohead and Supertramp and...well you get the picture, are added.Someone here mentioned a fringe band category for all those bands.I second this suggestion.And don't forget to include GOLDEN EARRING!!!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:26

What I don't like is the conformist way of thinking of some people (No attack pretended), I heard a lot of times people say, if STYX is here, why not ELO

If Asia is here why not Boston or Journey, if both are much more Prog' oriented?

This is wrong guys, none of the mentioned bands is Prog', if a mistake is made try to repair it, if this is not possible, try to hide the corpse under the carpet, but please if a mistake already exists don't make another mistake arguing the first one.

That's the way for mediocrity, how many times I heard in my work, if he goes at 4 o clock why should I stay till 5? or he takes the working material to his house (pens, papers, staplers, etc), why shouldn't I do the same? this is absolutely wrong.

A second mistake won't make the first one correct, it will make the site less reliable,

Yesterday Retrovertigo wrote to justify a Death Metal band:

Quote We already have Opeth, and they're surely prog, and they're surely death metal also.

And the same with Meshuggah.

Please, we're adding a lot of Death/Black Metal bands just because Opeth is here, OK Opeth is wrong and we can't remove them due to the Prog Archives rules (Even when rules are being changed daily to admit more mainstream proggish bands), but please don't use Opeth as an excuse to include ten more similar bands, this won't make Opeth right, but more evident the mistake.

I believe that the bands requested by members should be sent to a temporal section for the collaborators to decide. not include so easily anything remotely prog.

Or even when is not the best solution create that Proto Prog/Prog oriented section apart from the rest of the bands

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:30
    Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Yesterday Retrovertigo wrote to justify a Death Metal band:
    Quote We already have Opeth, and they're surely prog, and they're surely death metal also.

And the same with Meshuggah.

Please, we're adding a lot of Death/Black Metal bands just because Opeth is here, OK Opeth is wrong and we can't remove them due to the Prog Archives rules (Even when rules are being changed daily to admit more mainstream proggish bands), but please don't use Opeth as an excuse to include ten more similar bands, this won't make Opeth right, but more evident the mistake.

I believe that the bands requested by members should be sent to a temporal section for the collaborators to decide. not include so easily anything remotely prog.

Or even when is not the best solution create that Proto Prog/Prog oriented section apart from the rest of the bands

Iván

It wasn't Retrovertigo who wrote that post, it was me.

And I wasn't using that as an excuse to add another band, it was just an example that PROGRESSIVE DEATH/BLACK METAL DOES EXIST. It is a fact.

You're an anti-metallist of the worst kind. Please look in the mirror and reconsider your opinions.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:32
    Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

That  would also get ELP booted so it's not that sensible a rule, is it?

i dont know. all i know is that there were lots of discussions on this rule long ago. i think it was used as a reason to prevent radiohead and other bands getting thru.

i dont see how ELP would get booted. i would definetly say the majority of their studio works are very prog.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: CrazyDiamond
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:32
    great rule. should be respected.

-------------

Posted By: MANTICORE
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:55
     is a too severe commentary
    peace

-------------
    http://imageshack.us">

The Beatles

Posted By: Certif1ed
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:00

How would all these bands would be separated out - would there be a separate site called "AlmostProgArchives.com" or something?

I mean, yes, it'd be good to separate the prog from the non-prog and include "almost-progs" like ELO and Boston, but the reviews would surely all end up on the same front page, no?

And then where would we draw the line?

Radiohead's prog output is circa 50%, IMO - a higher ratio than, say, Genesis. Just an example, I don't want to labour the particular band...

I think the members of this forum can play a huge active part here - USE the polls to vote on a bands progginess. Yes, it's still arbitrary, but at least there'd be a kind of consensus, and we could say that if a band gets 30% of the vote or higher then they'd qualify.

That allows for Genesis...

...and then maybe there would be fewer arguments over a band's inclusion...

You never know - such a poll might exclude bands such as (random example here) Queen.

Just some thoughts.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:04

Logos wrote:

Quote You're an anti-metallist of the worst kind. Please look in the mirror and reconsider your opinions.

Sorry but this is an absurd reaction, I like some metal, love Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and even the infamous Yngwee Malmsteen, but METAL IS METAL AND PROG IS PROG.

I can accept some Prog' Metal but Death Metal is a sub genre of Metal, it's too specific to be considered Prog, better add all metal and lets say that metal and Prog are the same, that's the point we're reaching now and it's absurd.

There are a lot of black, doom, death metal web pages and fan clubs to include your favorite bands, why do it on a progressive rock page.

This place is a refugee for those of us who have been supporting this genre for days. months, years or even decades even when everybody else hated our music, and it survives because it was well defined, no, any metal or Indie band with keyboards is considered Prog', and that's not correct.

I am against the inclusion of METAL, AOR, POP, DISCO RAP, GLAM bands in Prog Archives because they aren't Prog', not because I hate them (Well I hate Rap).

I like Jackson Browne, but I don't think his good and deep lyrics are Prog, love Meatlaof's music but won't argue that Jim Steinman's piano makes them prog and my favorites Bob Geldoff and the Boomtown Rats but won't add Bob just because he appeared and sung in The Wall or because the lyrics and piano in I Don't Like Mondays seem proggy.

The Who is a better candidate than most of the bands recently included because they made two very Prog' albums (Tommy and Quadrophenia) but they are mainly a classic rock band and icon of their own genre so why in hell we must include them here.

So like whatever you want as I do but everything has a place, Dead/Trash/Black/Suicide or even Christiam Metal are subgenres of Metal not barely related with Prog.

If we keep doing this Progressive Rock will become so vague and blurry that everything could be part of the genre and the logical consequence is that Prog' will dissapear, let's keep the genre as pure as possible if we want it to survive.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: maani
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:05

Frenchie:

You proceed from false assumption.  The "rule" you refer to was never a rule.  In fact, it was my own personal opinion about how what crtieria I believe should be necessary for inclusion; i.e., that the majority of a band's ouevre, or at very least a solid "core" of that ouevre, must be prog in order to be included.

In fact, however, the "official rule" - i.e., Max and Rony's criterior - is that a band need only have one album that is wholly and solidly prog in order to be included on the site.  It was this rule that I was disagreeing with, and to which I was responding with my "majority" idea.

That said, since I still do not believe that either Queen II or NATO (much less any other Queen album) is, in fact, "wholly and solidly prog," I believe their inclusion here goes against even the far more "lenient" rule that Max and Rony have followed.

But let's not get everyone confused.  Max and Rony's rule is what "rules" here, not my alternative idea (which I nevertheless feel is better...)

Peace.

Posted By: Snow Dog
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:08
    I've just realised what NATO is! Actually it should be ANATO!Geek

-------------
    http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Bryan
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:13

I can accept some Prog' Metal but Death Metal is a sub genre of Metal, it's too specific to be considered Prog, better add all metal and lets say that metal and Prog are the same, that's the point we're reaching now and it's absurd.

There are a lot of black, doom, death metal web pages and fan clubs to include your favorite bands, why do it on a progressive rock page.

Why can't a band play death or black metal and still be progressive?  When was a barrier created to prevent any band who people label as death or black metal from playing progressive rock?  I'm a little shocked to see you taking such a narrow minded view here Ivan.  Let's look at an Opeth song for a moment.  Let's say... The Drapery Falls.  It's an extremely complex, remarkably diverse track that spans over 10 minutes.  It alternates into different sections regularily, has an unpredictable structure, some reasonably extended soloing, and prominent keyboards.  This isn't just a one time thing either, there are numerous Opeth songs like this.  My question is... why is it that a darker feel and some growled vocals should prevent them from being classified as prog?

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:25

METAL IS METAL AND PROG IS PROG

And Prog metal is prog and prog metal is metal.

There are sub-genres within sub-genres as well, and prog metal is a good example of this. There is symphonic prog metal, progressive death metal and prog power metal for example. It is only a prejudice to think that this is not possible. Were Dream Theater to have death metal vocals instead of James LaBrie (although they wouldn't suit the band at all, that's for sure), would someone say they weren't prog? It would be absolutely ridiculous. There's a lot of really technical, really complex, undoubtedly proggy metal music out there, just waiting to be explored by those who have an open mind and who are not stuck in their prejudices regarding metal music.

This place is a refugee for those of us who have been supporting this genre for days. months, years or even decades even when everybody else hated our music, and it survives because it was well defined, no, any metal or Indie band with keyboards is considered Prog', and that's not correct.

You're not being sensible or objective with this matter. There are extremely few "death prog" bands on this site, actually I only know Opeth and Meshuggah at the moment. And I know quite a few death metal bands myself, yet I am NOT suggesting bands like Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Obituary, Arch Enemy or Deicide to be added here. That would be ridiculous. Only a few , those few that really are progressive, are added. But because you hate (death) metal , you are not being objective,  and go on saying that "all metal bands etc. are being added nowadays, where is this site going, oh my god, Prog Archives is losing it". That is ridiculous!! You really should re-consider this matter. How does it hurt you if progressive metal is discussed on this site??? Just ignore it if you don't like it!!!

If we keep doing this Progressive Rock will become so vague and blurry that everything could be part of the genre and the logical consequence is that Prog' will dissapear, let's keep the genre as pure as possible if we want it to survive.

No, it will not. Prog metal IS a part of prog rock. There's absolutely nothing vague or blurry about it!!

Posted By: The Doctor
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:30
    Rules are meant to be broken.

-------------
    I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:36

Quote Why can't a band play death or black metal and still be progressive?  When was a barrier created to prevent any band who people label as death or black metal from playing progressive rock?  I'm a little shocked to see you taking such a narrow minded view here Ivan.  Let's look at an Opeth song for a moment.  Let's say... The Drapery Falls.  It's an extremely complex, remarkably diverse track that spans over 10 minutes.  It alternates into different sections regularily, has an unpredictable structure, some reasonably extended soloing, and prominent keyboards.  This isn't just a one time thing either, there are numerous Opeth songs like this.  My question is... why is it that a darker feel and some growled vocals should prevent them from being classified as prog?

Now we seen to accept some songs from a group and immediately include them in Prog' Archives, but there are many questions to be asked Bryan:

1. Are they mainly Prog or Mainly Metal?
    2. Do they consider themselves Prog' or Metal?
    3. Do most Prog' Fans consider them Prog?
    4. Do they have at least a couple of 100% Prog' albums?
    5. Do the critics (a few are good) and Prog Web Pages consider them Prog or metal?
    6. Do their own fans consider them Prog' or Metal?
    7. Are their acts or concert surrounded by Metal paraphernalia?
    8. Do they want to be considered Prog?
    9. Does their own website consider them Prog' or Metal?

The same line of questions may be asked to any other genre.

Here we say it's yellow, walks as a duck and makes a cuack sound, in that case don't expect it to be a lion.

They dress, act, consider themselves as metal, their fans consider them metal, most Prog' fans consider them metal, in that case don't expect to listen a Prog band.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: russellk
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:48
    This discussion is all so ridiculous. We're talking about boundaries here. If
    we were talking about boundaries between countries some of you would
    already be at war!

I like this site not because I can rejoice in the familiar, but so I can
    explore the boundaries. I discovered Opeth through this site, and
    magnificent they are too. I am determined never, never, never to ever ask
    myself while listening to a new band 'but are they prog?' I can't think of a
    quicker way to destroy any enjoyment of the music!

Perhaps a diagram might be helpful to those worried about the relative
    status of different prog genres. Someone could draw one up -- a flow
    diagram showing how all the genres formed, their relationship to each
    other and where some representative groups fit in. This would help justify
    the choices the admins have made.

So argue away about where the boundaries of your land of comfort
    should lie. I'm off to listen to some music.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:52

Quote But because you hate (death) metal , you are not being objective,

Why do you insist in that false argument, never said I hate black death or any kind of metal, you are acting childishly and assuming that if we don't agree with you we hate you.

I like metal and I like Prog, but I believe that a band to be considered Prog' needs to have at least lets say 30% of their Production being 100% Prog, Dream Theater has it, Opeth not, Meshugga less.

The same goes for metal fans, I'm sure people in the metal forums don't want their bands to be considered Prog' or Pop Metal or Rap Metal or Hip Hop Metal.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 16:00

I like metal and I like Prog, but I believe that a band to be considered Prog' needs to have at least lets say 30% of their Production being 100% Prog, Dream Theater has it, Opeth not, Meshugga less.

Opeth has at least 75% Pure prog in their discography, and anyone who understands anything about prog and is not an anti-metallist can confirm that this is in fact true.

Meshuggah I do not know well enough - I've only heard 2 albums and 1 EP , but those have all been Prog.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 17:09

Why do you avoid answering the questions Logos?

Or better, why don't you ask people here what do they believe?

Or is every person that doesn't agree with you an anti metalist? (You try o make it sound  like racist, Anti Jewish, anti Arab, Anti Christian and now anti Metalist ).

Rusellk wrote:

Quote I am determined never, never, never to ever ask
    myself while listening to a new band 'but are they prog?'

Nobody asks you that Russellk, I listen a lot of non Prog music, but this is a Prog' Web Page, designed and created for Prog' fans, so I believe we should list only Prog bands.

Why does everybody change the subject?

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 17:15

Or is every person that doesn't agree with you an anti metalist? (You try o make it sound  like racist, Anti Jewish, anti Arab, Anti Christian and now anti Metalist ).

All are the same to me

Posted By: Dick Heath
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 18:08

You better take a look/listen to the movie/DVD The Kids Are Alright, and Townshend will tell you how A quick one while he is away was cobbled together from a number of part-written tunes, to give a sensible album length and keep his manager happy. Desperation(?) rock that came off, not prog - previously The Barron Knights regulary had UK single hits by cobbling pastiches of  pop hits together, with some story line. And as another reminder: Townshend will also tell you S F Sorrow was his reference point, and before then Keith West, taking time out fromTomorrow, wrote a Teenage Opera.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 18:42

I know this will probably shock many of you (in fact, you may want to sit down if you are not doing so...), but when The Beatles released "She Loves You" in 1964, it was considered "progressive" by then-current pop standards.  The chord progression was considered "unique" for its time, with its use of deceptive cadences and sudden major/minor changes; the harmonies were considered "state-of-the-art" (and way beyond what anyone except The Beach Boys were doing); and the arrangement was touted as "brilliant."

Indeed, even those "adults" who were at least marginally interested in, fascinated by or otherwise charmed by The Beatles via "Love Me Do," "I Saw Her Standing There," "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and other, more "standard" hits, found "She loves You" "jarring" (a word used often at the time to describe it).

Wouldn't this qualify the song as prog?

Peace.

Posted By: Garion81
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 18:59
    Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Frenchie:

In fact, however, the "official rule" - i.e., Max and Rony's criterior - is that a band need only have one album that is wholly and solidly prog in order to be included on the site.  It was this rule that I was disagreeing with, and to which I was responding with my "majority" idea.

You mentioned this in the Queen thread and I find it a little strange. I mean if you think about it to extreme ELP could be eliminated under this rule because they have ballads or non progressive things like Benny the Bouncer or Jeremy Bender on every album.  I can't think of one of theirs that is wholly prog.  I am sure that rule could be applied to a lot of groups and eliminate most of them.   

For sake of argument wouldn't it be just as progressive for groups who venture across many lines in a recording  in contrast of sticking to just one style? 

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 18:59
    Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

You better take a look/listen to the movie/DVD The Kids Are Alright, and Townshend will tell you how A quick one while he is away was cobbled together from a number of part-written tunes, to give a sensible album length and keep his manager happy. Desperation(?) rock that came off, not prog - previously The Barron Knights regulary had UK single hits by cobbling pastiches of  pop hits together, with some story line. And as another reminder: Townshend will also tell you S F Sorrow was his reference point, and before then Keith West, taking time out fromTomorrow, wrote a Teenage Opera.

i have seen TKAA. i am huuuuge who fan. i have all the remasters and most of the vinyls and dvds

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 19:05
    i have to say i can understand ivans point of view but i have to back logos here.

and here are some possible answers to the first 2 questions:

they are mainly PROG METAL

they consider themselves PROG METAL

whoever "they" may be

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 19:08

maybe i am a hypocrite for participating in the logos/ivan debate... but i shall now say that has perhaps drifted off into a point where it should be in a thread called "prog vs metal". it is going a bit off topic in this thread.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: KoS
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 20:08
    I think the rule shoould be abolished
    I now think that queen should be on the archives. I started listening to more of their songs and i feel that they should be allowed in. people including myself are biased and hypocrites. The archives will only grow if we add bands including stuff that is close to prog.

Posted By: Guests
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 20:12

Rather include, then exclude

Posted By: greenback
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 20:26

why not a "too simple to be prog, but too good to be ignored" section?

or a "quasi-prog" section

-------------
    [HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: KoS
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 20:28
    great idea

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:04

Frenchie wrote:

Quote Do they consider themselves Prog' or Metal?

they consider themselves PROG METAL

whoever "they" may be

I don't agree Frenchie, here you have some quotes:

Quote Mikael Akerfeldt: Well, we are a metal band. So it's easier if we go out with metal bands.

Mikael Akerfeldt: You've got hear Opeth to know what it is. We basically say that we are a metal band. I'd feel stupid saying that we were "progressive forest metal" or something like that. At the end of the day, we're just a metal band but we have many different influences. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what style we are playing. You've got to hear it for yourself and make up your own mind.

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/opethi.htm - http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/opethi.htm

Quote Mikael Akerfeld talking about his influences: Well you know, all the bands that I grew up listening to still influence me I guess. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Judas Priest, all those… And also, Morbid Angel,

http://www.tartareandesire.com/interviews/opeth2004.html - http://www.tartareandesire.com/interviews/opeth2004.html   

I've read all the Opeth Official site and they don't mention Progressive Rock in any part, but of course it's full of Death Metal references and páraphernalia.

Again, it's not a Prog vs Metal thing, I would react equally if it was a Pop or an Indie band (I did so with Radiohead).

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:08
    i didnt say "they" had to be opeth.

i think on the latest dream theater dvd disc 2 they get asked what music they think they play and mike portnoy says "we are prog metal". dont quote me on this for i havent watched it for yonks.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:25

Garion:

Re ELP, although I suppose a case could be made that Lucky Man is not progressive, their debut album was wholly progressive.  However, I would say that Lucky Man is one of those songs that truly "straddle the line," like, for example, Genesis' "I Know What I Like" or Yes' "The Clap" (which is little more than a guitar solo with a mish-mash of influences).

However, even if someone wants to say "gotcha" to me on this, I would posit that, almost without argument, ELP's interpretation of Pictures at an Exhibition is prog through and through, with no "Jeremy Bender" "Benny the Bouncer" or "The Sheriff" to muck up the works.

Peace.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:29

i think on the latest dream theater dvd disc 2 they get asked what music they think they play and mike portnoy says "we are prog metal". dont quote me on this for i havent watched it for yonks.

OK Frenchie:

1. This was a specific question about Opeth and Meshugga (Read the sequence)
    2. The discussion is about Death/Black Metal bands, even when the thread is about Nopn Prog bands included despite their genre.
    3. I said repeteadly that Dream Theater is a Prog Metal band IMO.

Iván

PS: Again, why people keep changing the subject of a discussion?

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:31
    Pink Floyd's "Meddle", "More", "Atom Heart Mother", "Obscured By Clouds" (just to name a few) are not fully prog albums as they all contain at least 1 song which is not prog

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:32

OK Frenchie:

1. This was a specific question about Opeth and Meshugga (Read the sequence)
    2. The discussion is about Death/Black Metal bands, even when the thread is about Nopn Prog bands included despite their genre.
    3. I said repeteadly that Dream Theater is a Prog Metal band IMO.

Iván

PS: Again, why people keep changing the subject of a discussion?

ok. anyway i did it again by going off topic. lets stay on topic or move this somewhere else

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:34

Quote Pink Floyd's "Meddle", "More", "Atom Heart Mother", "Obscured By Clouds" (just to name a few) are not fully prog albums as they all contain at least 1 song which is not prog

Please Frenchie, you're more intelligent than that, You know Pink Floyd main production is Prog or Psychedelic, Opeth is mainly Death Metal, even they accept that, why don't their fans try to say something different?

The same happens with Boston Toto or Journey fans so they don't accuse me of Anti Metalist

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 22:35

Quote Why can't a band play death or black metal and still be progressive?  When was a barrier created to prevent any band who people label as death or black metal from playing progressive rock?  I'm a little shocked to see you taking such a narrow minded view here Ivan.  Let's look at an Opeth song for a moment.  Let's say... The Drapery Falls.  It's an extremely complex, remarkably diverse track that spans over 10 minutes.  It alternates into different sections regularily, has an unpredictable structure, some reasonably extended soloing, and prominent keyboards.  This isn't just a one time thing either, there are numerous Opeth songs like this.  My question is... why is it that a darker feel and some growled vocals should prevent them from being classified as prog?

Now we seen to accept some songs from a group and immediately include them in Prog' Archives, but there are many questions to be asked Bryan:

3. Do most Prog' Fans consider them Prog?
    4. Do they have at least a couple of 100% Prog' albums?
    5. Do the critics (a few are good) and Prog Web Pages consider them Prog or metal?
    6. Do their own fans consider them Prog' or Metal?
    7. Are their acts or concert surrounded by Metal paraphernalia?
    8. Do they want to be considered Prog?
    9. Does their own website consider them Prog' or Metal?

The same line of questions may be asked to any other genre.

Here we say it's yellow, walks as a duck and makes a cuack sound, in that case don't expect it to be a lion.

They dress, act, consider themselves as metal, their fans consider them metal, most Prog' fans consider them metal, in that case don't expect to listen a Prog band.

Iván

Let's see...

1. I guess they're "mainly metal" since their sound is oriented towards metal, but that doesn't mean they can't integrate prog into their sound.

2. Why is this a reason to leave them out?  Robert Fripp doesn't consider King Crimson prog, does that mean KC shouldn't be on the archives?  Same goes for Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta.  Plus, while they may not actually classify themselves prog, they continually cite Camel as one of their main influences, which has to count for something.

3. From what I've seen, most people without a bias against metal do consider them prog.

4. Well Damnation is as pure a prog album as anyone will ever find, but if we're acknowledging prog-metal as a subgenre of prog than Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life and Blackwater Park all fit into it perfectly (especially Morningrise and BWP).

5. allmusic.com and metal-archives.com both list them as progressive metal.  I don't frequent any other prog sites so I can't speak for them, but based on how regularily I hear them talked about as a prog metal band I'd assume at least a few have chosen to acknowledge them.

6. Based on those I've talked to, they're widely regarded as a progressive metal band.  In addition, people in traditional metal circles tend to trash them for being "too boring", so they certainly aren't part of the core metal crowd.

7. I'm not sure what you mean by this, so I'll pass on it.

8. See #2.

9. It classifies them as metal, but it doesn't pinpoint them as playing any specific subgenre of metal from what I've seen.  In fact, Mikael simply seems to just be dismissing their classification under any specific genre of metal, so why would this leave prog-metal out of the question?

What I think you're missing, Ivan, is that it's possible for a band to play metal and still be a prog band.  That's what the "progressive metal" subgenre is all about.  Just because there are some who would also classify them as a death metal band (which as I mentioned in my previous post, is hugely inaccurate), doesn't mean having them listed on progarchives is ridiculous.  Mind you, Opeth is a very unique band in the world of modern metal, and it's true that not that many bands can successfully combine those two styles in the way that Opeth does.  They've done it though, and I'd say they deserve recognition for it.

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:30

Useful Idiot wrote: {quote] I guess they're "mainly metal" since their sound is oriented towards metal, but that doesn't mean they can't integrate prog into their sound.[/quote]

So keep them in a mainly metal Archive.

Quote Why is this a reason to leave them out?  Robert Fripp doesn't consider King Crimson prog, does that mean KC shouldn't be on the archives?  Same goes for Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta.  Plus, while they may not actually classify themselves prog, they continually cite Camel as one of their main influences, which has to count for something.

I can't talk about Rodriguez Lopez , but in the case of Robert Fripp, he considers himself something different unique, due to his huge ego (and insanity ) but he never classified him as part of  a determined genre, Akerfeld said clearly we're a death metal band.

Quote From what I've seen, most people without a bias against metal do consider them prog.

For God's sake Bryan, for the hundreed time, I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST METAL, I don't like Non Prog bands being included in a Prog page despite their genre, we had the same discussion with Radioheade, so you know it's nothing against metal.

Honestly I'm sure most people here don't consider them Prog' when a good group doesn't even consider Dream Theater Prog

Quote Well Damnation is as pure a prog album as anyone will ever find, but if we're acknowledging prog-metal as a subgenre of prog than Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life and Blackwater Park all fit into it perfectly (especially Morningrise and BWP).

From your perspective, from mine is a more complex Death Metal album

Quote allmusic.com and metal-archives.com both list them as progressive metal.  I don't frequent any other prog sites so I can't speak for them, but based on how regularily I hear them talked about as a prog metal band I'd assume at least a few have chosen to acknowledge them.

Please, Allmusic is the most unreliable site for genres, check each band and you'll see they give even ten different genres for the same band, and metal-archives can say what they want, if I'm not wrong they consider Ingwye Malmsteen Prog Metal too, and that means nothing for us.

Allmusic clasifies Opeth as:

• http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:11957 - Symphonic Black Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:655 - Heavy Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2952 - Progressive Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:11954 - Scandinavian Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:384 - Death Metal/ Black Metal
  • They only missed Foxtrot and Cha Cha Cha, is this reliable?

Quote I'm not sure what you mean by this, so I'll pass on it.

Black leather clothing, inverse crosses, satanic lyrics, etc.

Quote It classifies them as metal, but it doesn't pinpoint them as playing any specific subgenre of metal from what I've seen.  In fact, Mikael simply seems to just be dismissing their classification under any specific genre of metal, so why would this leave prog-metal out of the question?

Their own website, runed by them, consideres them metal and you don't care?

Michael didn't said simply we're a metal band, he said: We're a DEATH METAL BAND (read my quote on Page 2 of this thread) so he is very specific defining his music.

Quote What I think you're missing, Ivan, is that it's possible for a band to play metal and still be a prog band. 

Please Bryan read what you said to question number 1 (and I quote you): I guess they're "mainly metal" since their sound is oriented towards metal.

This is a website for  PROG BANDS, it's called THE PROG ARCHIVES not the mainly metal (Pop, Glam, Disco, Rap, Hip Hop, etc) but with a bit of Prog  Archives.

So let's keep the place with Prog bands or at least mainly Prog' bands.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Trotsky
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:35

I always thought the rule was silly ... because of bands like Jethro Tull (who made some prog-rock classics in Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play, but surely have a non-prog majority of albums) ...

I also keep going back to Blackfeather ... one indisputably prog album, then the whole band leaves, except the singer who releases many boogie-rock albums under the same name ... so under the rule the album doesn't qualify ... doesn't make sense to me ...

-------------
    "Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:40

Quote I always thought the rule was silly

One question for everybody, if you want no rules, then why make a Prog' Web Site, include everything, and call it The Eclective Archives instead.

BTW: Jethro Tull not mainly Prog????? Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play, Aqualung, Stormwatch mean something for you?

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:44

Quote Pink Floyd's "Meddle", "More", "Atom Heart Mother", "Obscured By Clouds" (just to name a few) are not fully prog albums as they all contain at least 1 song which is not prog

Please Frenchie, you're more intelligent than that, You know Pink Floyd main production is Prog or Psychedelic, Opeth is mainly Death Metal, even they accept that, why don't their fans try to say something different?

The same happens with Boston Toto or Journey fans so they don't accuse me of Anti Metalist

Iván

what the? you may have got confused. i was repsonding to maani's point about not all albums have to have every track as a prog track. I probably should have used quotes. Sorry for this mishap.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: NetsNJFan
    Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:47

Jethro Tull non prog?????

ever heard of prog-folk????

1. Thick as a Brick
    2. Passion Play
    3. Minstrel in the Gallery
    4. Songs from the Woods
    5. Heavy Horses
    6. Aqualung
    7. Stormwatch

That's seven prog albums and I'm not even counting all of them!!!!!!!

bah this site has gone to insanity

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:50

Quote I always thought the rule was silly

One question for everybody, if you want no rules, then why make a Prog' Web Site, include everything, and call it The Eclective Archives instead.

BTW: Jethro Tull not mainly Prog????? Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play, Aqualung, Stormwatch mean something for you?

Iván

who made some prog-rock classics in Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play,

I do wish people would read before posting ... should that be a rule?

This Was, Stand Up, Benefit, War Child, Too Old To Rock'N'Roll, yes Stormwatch, Broadsword And The Beast, A, Under Wraps, Crest Of A Knave, Rock Island, Roots To Branches (not prog albums)

Aqualung, Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses (borderline)

Thick As A Brick, A Passion Play, Ministrel In The Gallery (definitely)

But this is just my opinion ... it's not the gospel truth ... why don't you give me yours with  chapter and verse?

-------------
    "Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:51

This question of course remains unanswered because it defies the rule ...

I also keep going back to Blackfeather ... one indisputably prog album, then the whole band leaves, except the singer who releases many boogie-rock albums under the same name ... so under the rule the album doesn't qualify ... doesn't make sense to me ...

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:52
    lol your response to useful idiot made me laugh ivan. I think you need to calm down and lighten up. I can see why you would be offended by bands that you dont see as prog being here. but we have to be fair to each members perceptions of prog. I have to put up with some bands i dont want here, just as you do and most others do. the site is trying their best.

Quote:
    From what I've seen, most people without a bias against metal do consider them prog.

"For God's sake Bryan, for the hundreed time, I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST METAL, I don't like Non Prog bands being included in a Prog page despite their genre, we had the same discussion with Radioheade, so you know it's nothing against metal."

I dont think he was picking on you personally. he clearly said MOST PEOPLE WITHOUT A BIAS. I guess the wording may have threw you.

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:54
    Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

Jethro Tull non prog?????

1. Thick as a Brick
    2. Passion Play
    4. Songs from the Woods
    5. Heavy Horses
    6. Aqualung
    7. Stormwatch

And again ... this time with cheese on top ...

This Was, Stand Up, Benefit, War Child, Too Old To Rock'N'Roll, yes Stormwatch, Broadsword And The Beast, A, Under Wraps, Crest Of A Knave, Rock Island, Roots To Branches (not prog albums)

Aqualung, Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses (borderline)

Thick As A Brick, A Passion Play, Ministrel In The Gallery (definitely)

I repeat that this is just my opinion ...

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:56
    cheese on top of my mama!

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 23:59

Quote Jethro Tull non prog?????

1. Thick as a Brick
    2. Passion Play
    4. Songs from the Woods
    5. Heavy Horses
    6. Aqualung
    7. Stormwatch

Agree NetsNJF, but I would include Benefit and Warchild.

Trotsky wrote:

Quote who made some prog-rock classics in Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play,

Even when we don't qualify the same albums as Prog, you said a clue phrase  made some prog-rock classics .

Prog Rock Classics.......Means something no????

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:01
    ivan est le grumpy

-------------
    The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:02

Quote Jethro Tull non prog?????

1. Thick as a Brick
    2. Passion Play
    4. Songs from the Woods
    5. Heavy Horses
    6. Aqualung
    7. Stormwatch

Agree NetsNJF, but I would include Benefit and Warchild.

Trotsky wrote:

Quote who made some prog-rock classics in Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play,

Even when we don't qualify the same albums as Prog, you said a clue phrase  made some prog-rock classics .

Prog Rock Classics.......Means something no????

Iván

That is my point ... IMO Jethro Tull made some prog-rock classics, but overall a narrow majority of their albums are not prog ... ie something like 6 or 7 are vs more than 10 which aren't ... so going by the rule they wouldn't qualify ... that's why I think the rule doesn't work in this case ... but that's only from my point of view ...

Perhaps as someone who also loves Uriah Heep, you are not going to tell me that a majority of their albums are prog-rock as well ...

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:05

Frenchie wrote:

Quote I dont think he was picking on you personally. he clearly said MOST PEOPLE WITHOUT A BIAS. I guess the wording may have threw you.

Don't worry Frenchie, I'm very passionate in my discussions and Bryan knows it, we are friends and usually chat (Not too much lately because I have troubles with MSN on my PC.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:07
    I'll accept that its Trotskys opinion and I respect that but can we all agree they are proggier than Queen?

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:10

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

I'll accept that its Trotskys opinion and I respect that but can we all agree they are proggier than Queen?

No arguments from me on that one  ... although I won't say too much more to avoid incriminating myself in other ongoing debates 

Cheers!

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:20

Quote Perhaps as someone who also loves Uriah Heep, you are not going to tell me that a majority of their albums are prog-rock as well ...

I give you that one Trotsky, I'm a Uriah Heep fan long before I even knew Prog Rock existed. and it's true that only 4 or at the best 5 albums are Prog', but they were here before I joined and as I said before I'm not trying to take away bands already included, only trying to prevent more mistakes.

BTW, the few years Uriah Heep was Prog, they were really Prog, but that's only my opinion.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:20

Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

I think the rule shoould be abolished
    I now think that queen should be on the archives. I started listening to more of their songs and i feel that they should be allowed in. people including myself are biased and hypocrites. The archives will only grow if we add bands including stuff that is close to prog.

I had been pondering the validity of having these huge debates, when many of us are pretty entrenched in our positions (myself included, of course)  

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:26

Quote I had been pondering the validity of having these huge debates, when many of us are pretty entrenched in our positions (myself included, of course)  

I don't know you, but I enjoy the debates,  some are tougher than the ones I have in the court, mostly because here the vast majority of members know about Prog and in Peruvian Courts most judges don't know a sh!t about laws (Judges are paid about US$ 1,000.00 a month and a slightly over the average  lawyer earnsfive times that).

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:29

Quote Perhaps as someone who also loves Uriah Heep, you are not going to tell me that a majority of their albums are prog-rock as well ...

I give you that one Trotsky, I'm a Uriah Heep fan long before I even knew Prog Rock existed. and it's true that only 4 or at the best 5 albums are Prog', but they were here before I joined and as I said before I'm not trying to take away bands already included, only trying to prevent more mistakes.

BTW, the few years Uriah Heep was Prog, they were really Prog, but that's only my opinion.

Iván

Again we are agreed that Uriah Heep made some important prog, but it was in the minority of their catalogue, I suppose the disagreement between you/NJNetsFan (and probably a good many others) and myself on Jethro Tull is the ratio ...

But the principle of the rule is what I challenge (although I acknowledge that in most cases it works fine) ... my basic belief is that if a band/artist made prog there should eventually be a space for them on progarchives even if the prog music is a minority of their catalogue ... again this brings us back to the prog fringe/of interest category ...

Edited for a little bit of clarity (one hopes)

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:44

The Problem with giving a grey space is that people will include anything, from Elton John to Europe.

Don't laugh, I already read some posts saying that some Elton John albums are Prog, you just need to search.

Frenchie asked the addition of an Indie band but then noticed he was wrong and asked to delete it, but most people won't do that.

Neutral Milk Hotel is still in the Archives and has absolutely no relation with Prog, they are good, who doubts it, but Progressive Rock is a genre not an award for good music.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 00:59

The Problem with giving a grey space is that people will include anything, from Elton John to Europe.

Don't laugh, I already read some posts saying that some Elton John albums are Prog, you just need to search.

Frenchie asked the addition of an Indie band but then noticed he was wrong and asked to delete it, but most people won't do that.

Neutral Milk Hotel is still in the Archives and has absolutely no relation with Prog, they are good, who doubts it, but Progressive Rock is a genre not an award for good music.

Iván

Yes you are right, I've seen them too ... I'm certainly not in agreement with giving everyone access to including bands ... I prefered the old system ... with maybe a larger committee to help ron & max ...

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 01:05
    we can all agree Under Wraps by JT  --- Not Prog

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 02:29
    Okay Ivan, so I looked at Opeth's website in an effort to find any reference to them being a death metal band, and I found none.  In fact, I actually found more to them being a prog-metal band than death metal.  If you want proof, just read the text that appears on the main page of the discography section.  Also, I think you should reread the quotes you posted, because nowhere in either of them does Mikael say that Opeth is a death metal band, he simply says that he considers them a metal band (which as I said, could easily leave them open to being classified as prog-metal).  Plus, you're overlooking the fact that Damnation is a pure prog album with absolutely no relation to metal, and the fact that Opeth features no "black leather" or "satanic references" of any kind (if anything, their lyrics have many allusions to christianity).  You're also overlooking, once again, the fact that to call an album like Morningrise death metal is ridiculous, and makes me wonder if you've actually heard real death metal bands.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 06:02

Allmusic clasifies Opeth as:
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:11957 - Symphonic Black Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:655 - Heavy Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2952 - Progressive Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:11954 - Scandinavian Metal
  • http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:384 - Death Metal/ Black Metal
  • Shows you don't know that much about metal , do you? Opeth is all of those.

A few metal sites..

Metal Storm considers them Death Prog.

Metal Archives says Extreme Prog Metal.

BRN Metal says " The phrase "progressive death metal" has been used before, but it probably fits Opeth better than any other single band "

Metal Orberver says Prog Death Metal also.

A few prog sites..

Prog Archives, of course as we all know, considers them Prog Metal.

Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Prog says they are Prog Metal.

Ground and Sky Prog Site considers them Prog Metal.

Ducth Prog Site DPRP says about Opeth's Deliverance "  one of the best progressive-metal albums ever made "

A few music sites in general..

Allmusic.com , as noted before, says Prog Metal

RollingStone.com says Prog Metal

Finnish Music site melankolia.net says Prog Metal.

For me, this leaves the question, is there ANYONE who doesn't consider them prog, other than YOU and a few others who don't understand modern prog music.

Also, if they aren't prog, why do they have masses of followers in the prog community, and those masses of prog fans consider them to be prog metal??

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 06:09

Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

For me, this leaves the question, is there ANYONE who doesn't consider them prog, other than YOU and a few others who don't understand modern prog music.Also, if they aren't prog, why do they have masses of followers in the prog community, and those masses of prog fans consider them to be prog metal??

Even worse - I consider them Symphonic Prog Rock. The heavy instrumentation and growling make it an extreme form of music, but basically they're an offspring of Camel, which is a classic Symph Prog band.

-------------
    https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 06:37
    Damnation is obviously as symphonic prog as any music can be. Don't know about their other albums tho..

Posted By: PeeWee
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 06:44
    In my opinion, bands that could easily be put in another genre should not be included. In my opinion, Kraftwerk is synthpop, not prog. Roxy Music is "art glam" and not prog. I am not saying that those bands are bad, I love them both, but I think that they both belong in another genre than prog.

Posted By: sigod
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 06:50
    Prog, not prog, art, glam, rock, not rock, fringe, the little, little, things that mean so much...

...I feel a headache coming on. 

-------------
    I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
    - Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: Blacksword
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 07:05

Quasi prog/glam

Industrial/Emo/art prog

Old skool hip hop/prog/electro

Pagan metal/folk

Whatever....

-------------
    Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 07:15

I am not really talking about such strange genres as "pagan metal/folk", I am talking about band that have long since been established as an important contributor to another genre. In my opinion Roxy Music clearly belongs with the likes of Cockney Rebel and David Bowie, as one of the great album glam rock acts of the early seventies. When it comes to Kraftwerk, they have long since been know as the originators of "synthpop".

I do not really like the "innovative" criteria for determining what is progressive rock, because that would imply that almost every genre would be considered "prog" in an early stage. That is the problem I have with Kraftwerk and some other bands in the progarchives, they were the start of a whole new genre, and not prog as such. That would make prog a completely useless term as a genre.

Posted By: Alucard
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 08:32
    The exceptions  confirme the rule. As long as there is a discussion about the borders of Prog it is alive. The other day I made a compilation for a collegue (mainly Italian bands +GG, National Health, Echolyn) and for him apart from National Health it was all Pop. We discussed then a bit and he tended to call 'Progressive' the more experimental bands like 'Throbbing Gristle' and 'Cabaret Voltaire'.For me it is fine to keep the term open and include any musicians/bands who have been /or are currently looking for new ways of expression.  The broader the spectrum, the broader the possible field of discussion.

-------------
    Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
    "Hey there! Rotter's Club!
    Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 10:07
    But then we have the trouble of the two ways of defining progressive music, either as a certain genre invented by some english bands in the early seventies and other genres directly inspired by it, or as music that explores new ground. By the second definition, bands like Kraftwerk and Cabaret Voltaire would certainly be "progressive", but then again, bands like Spock`s Beard and Echolyn would not be "progressive". With all the implications that leads to.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 10:10

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

-------------
    https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Bilek
    Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 10:49
    wht an intricate subject... I was going to mention something about the envisaged "proto-prog/prog influenced" (whatever) genre, but I got mixed up. I can't read the entire 4 pages now, sorry, I give up

-------------
    Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
    Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk