Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA RULE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A RULE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!
    Posted: August 03 2005 at 08:07

Congratulations!

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 07:30
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

1. Can you play more then the C-Major scale?

I can play the A-Minor scale, too. I'm prog!

Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 07:26

Why not turn it the other way round and give all the bands/musicians on PA a little sticker PAA (Prog Archives Aprooved) making them automatically PROG. There will be a small test to see if they are worth and able fitting in. I developped a scientifically based test model. The subject has to have minimum two positive answers :

1. Can you play more then the C-Major scale?

2.Do you  know at least one Zappa song by heart?

3.Do you  possess at least one GG record.(purchase proove before the test date)

4.Are you sexy?

5.Do you believe that Elvis was the King?

6.Can you state one musician who does play in a band for other reasons then to get laid?

7.Do you know the difference between a double-bass and a double-bed?

8.Do you believe that masturbating provokes deafness?

9.Do you own a  Chrome plated megaphone?

10.Have you seen 'Jabberwock'?

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

vogre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:46

Dude,

when bands with influences like Dream Theater and Symphony X, only, claimed to be prog-metal bands, a band influenced by a lot of progressive rock, even some obscure bands should have tendencies towards prog?

look at what i found:

Hölderlins traum - Fantastic german band from the early 70´s!
Cactus - One way or another - Super heavy blues rock from 71 with Vanilla fudge members.
Circus 2000 - An escape from a box - Italian doomy prog with chick vox
These trails - Wierd folky dark stuff from Hawaii!
Lucifer's friend - Where the groupies killed the blues - Amazing and super progressive for being 1972. Their first (1970) is a metal masterpiece too!
Museo rosenbach - Zarathustra Dark evil prog from Italy (1973)
Arzachel (1969) - Super echoey dark semi-satanic psych with Steve Hillage from Gong.
Höst - Fantastic prog/heavy rock band from Norway. Mid 70´s.
Mecki mark men - Swedish super psych/drug rock from late 60´s/early 70´s! Did 3 albums.
England - Garden shed - Good technical symph rock in the vein of Yes and Genesis.
Popol vuh - Get everything if you like psychedelic spaced out ambient meditative sh*t. Their "Nosferatu" Lp is what we use as intro/outro music for our shows.

It's a list of bands from Mikael's post about rare prog from early 70s, from their official forum.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:35
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

• In he's website "We are a metal band" (Not Prog, just metal)
    That's your interpretation - metal doesn't preclude progressiveness.
  • In an interview for a Metal Mgzine he said: I also made the choice to make Opeth into a more death metal band rather than black metal-ish. (No LOgos, he's not only talking about vocals, he clearly said that they were a Black Metal-ish band and they are now a DEATH METAL BAND, if you don't get it ask Mikael for a paper with a Notary signature, because it's clear for everybody except you.
    If you know anything about the difference between Death Metal and Black Metal, you'll see that this distinction doesn't preclude prog either. Even better: Death supports progressiveness much more than Black. 
  • Martin Lopez said clearly for Absolute Metal, that all his previous albums were DEATH METAL.
    You can't expect him to talk in progressive terms in an interview for a magazine called Absolute Metal.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:22
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Quote In addition to that, you refuse to admit that you were wrong about Mikael saying they were a death metal band.  I give up

Maybe you're right, but now neither you can deny it, it's clear as water.

Quote What made you switch from the shrill vocals of ORCHID and MORNIGRISE to the more guttural growls of the more recent albums?

Yeah, that was a conscious decision. To me the vocals sounded weak, and I didn't like that. I wanted to have vocals that sounded powerful, not weak. I also made the choice to make Opeth into a more death metal band, rather than black metal-ish.

http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/Opeth-2003.htm 

Oops again Mikael Akerfeld weakening your case, he talks of influences etc in his web page, but when he describes his band he uses the simple DEATH METAL genre.

Send a mail and tell Mikael and Martin they're wrong about their own band, or not to give contradictory interviews.

Iván

BTW: Never give ud, never surrender, it's just a discussion.

You are wrong. Again you bend the band mambers' statements into the direction that suits you. He says that they're more Death Metal than Black Metal, which doesn't conflict with their progressive status in any way.

Instead of digging up obscure interviews in METAL magazines and websites, you should listen to their music some more. Listen to Camel's debut album and then to Blackwater Park.

Shane Wallace View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:01
maybe not a rule, but it should defiantely be a guideline when
posting bands.
To Seek the Sacred River Alph
Fearless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 23:52

^Just because it is death metal, doesn't mean it can't also be prog.....the two bandmembers' statements don't confine the music to a specific genre.  That's the point of prog, it isn't a set kind of music, it is a combination of many different things.

If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 23:19

Just to end this sequence of posts, I don't know if some of you don't get the difference or don't want to get it:

Robert Fripp said: I don't want to be labeled as Progressive, but he never said King Crimson plays Pop for example.

Yes, Genesis, ELP didn't anounced they were Progresive bands but they never said we play Disco or we play metal, Jazz or Mambo.

Phil Collins hates Prog' we all know he plays plain Pop, so what's new?

Pink Floyd consider themselves as  plain Rock in Pompei DVD, well Prog, Metal, Psychedelic etc are Rock, this is the most generic term, plus the fact that Pompeii was recorded in 1971 when the term Progressive Rock wasn't still well known.

All the previous bands don't want to be labeled into Prog' but they never said they played any particular genre.

Two Opeth members have said loud and clearly: we play Death Metal that's a different story they are announcing and labeling themselves into a determined genre,

Lopez even said all our albums are Death Metal and one is Accoustic, so don't pretend to know more than themselves about what they play.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 22:07
Originally posted by Minstrel X Minstrel X wrote:

Originally posted by Bowzo Bowzo wrote:

Death was mentioned earlier. I consider their album "Symbolic" to be very proggy, like Prog-Death metal.

I also consider Death to be very proggy. "Symbolic" album indeed, but i also think of "The Sound of Perseverance" in a Prog-Death metal orientation.

I LIKE DEATH BUT NO WAY!

Minstrel X View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 22:00
Originally posted by Bowzo Bowzo wrote:

Death was mentioned earlier. I consider their album "Symbolic" to be very proggy, like Prog-Death metal.

I also consider Death to be very proggy. "Symbolic" album indeed, but i also think of "The Sound of Perseverance" in a Prog-Death metal orientation.

Minstrel X: Burning down the gallery
Bowzo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 21:28

And Ivan, just because someone says they are one thing, doesn't mean they aren;t one thing.
I could say I'm not smart with money, but it doesn't mean I am not smart. I'm one thing, and I'm another thing, I just don't mention the other thing. There is a difference between saying "We are death metal, and death metal only, nothing else." And "We are death metal...(insert ability to all them anything else here)"

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 20:22
Which rule exactly...
I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
G.Baldin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 20:18

Well, if you think of bands like QUEEN or RADIOHEAD, they couldn't even be in the site with this rule! I didn't knew about that rule! 

Even lovely lovely GENTLE GIANT made non-prog albuns! Or can I name GENESIS, that after Wind And Wuthering never returned to prog? Oh yeah, what about PFM?

Well, if we're really going to keep up that rule, more than 100 bands will end up being deleted, hehe!

Listening right now: Cervello, Ill Balleto Di Bronzo, Radiohead     

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 20:12
Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

enough guys....

Ivan, all the prog guys in the 70s hate being called prog.  (Fripp [Jerk], Hammill, Gabriel, Ian Amderson, David Gilmour, GG - these guys didnt call themselves prog either)  Doesn't prove anything.

I just read this too. That sums it up.

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 20:11
Once again, just because a band says their music is something else, doesn't make them not prog. It's the same with all prog bands. They're not like 'we're a prog rock band' unless they're really up themselves. For example, on Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii, they Floyd guys consider themselves ordinary rock n roll musicians: "Where would rock n roll be without feedback?" - Gilmour. "The rock market is expanding at a phenomenal rate" - Waters. Also, in the booklet from Genesis' Platinum Collection "Most people think of us as a brand name for...progressive rock or whatever" - Collins. He just shrugs off the idea of prog. I bet its the same with Mars Volta; yeah they have the odd prog influence, but they're playing the music they want to play, they're not trying to deliberately prog-ise it. They make music which happens to be enjoyed by proggers. SAME WITH OPETH!

Edited by Publius
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 20:07

Quote enough guys....

Ivan, all the prog guys in the 70s hate being called prog.  (Fripp [Jerk], Hammill, Gabriel, Ian Amderson, David Gilmour, GG - these guys didnt call themselves prog either)  Doesn't prove anything.

I agree with that Nets, but that's different, they never said we play oin a determined genre, they only said something like we don't like to be labeled (Fripp said it clearly)

In this case the Opeth members said We are a Death Metal band, like that, specific and clear. I believe it's different.

Iván

NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 20:04

enough guys....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 19:59

Logos wrote:

Quote Yet in other interviews he says his influences include 70's prog and psychedelia, and he has said that Andy Latimer is his biggest influence as a guitarist.

Lets see,

1.- He says in his site My influences are Porcupine Tree and Camel if I'm not wrong and he lists like 20 Metal, Death Metal and Black Metal bands. He never said We are a Prog Metal band.

Genesis is influenced by Bach, but they are not a Baroque Classical Band, ELP is influenced by Bartok, Mussorgski, Cui, Borodin, etc but they are not a Classical Modern band. Opeth composer admits some Prog influence but IMO they are not Prog, I may be wrong but twoi members of the band clearly state they play Death Metal, I don't believe they are wrong.

2.- On the other hand he clearly said:

• In he's website "We are a metal band" (Not Prog, just metal)
  • In an interview for a Metal Mgzine he said: I also made the choice to make Opeth into a more death metal band rather than black metal-ish. (No LOgos, he's not only talking about vocals, he clearly said that they were a Black Metal-ish band and they are now a DEATH METAL BAND, if you don't get it ask Mikael for a paper with a Notary signature, because it's clear for everybody except you.
  • Martin Lopez said clearly for Absolute Metal, that all his previous albums were DEATH METAL.

So choose where they are mopre specific, show me a quote where Akerfeld or Lopez say We play Prog Metal, if you find it, well we will discover they don't know what they are playing.

Iván

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 19:08

Yet in other interviews he says his influences include 70's prog and psychedelia, and he has said that Andy Latimer is his biggest influence as a guitarist.

You're just choosing the proper interviews and the proper sentences to prove your point, Ivan. That's not right. Be objective.

Quote from Mikael :

What made you switch from the shrill vocals of ORCHID and MORNIGRISE to the more guttural growls of the more recent albums?

Yeah, that was a conscious decision. To me the vocals sounded weak, and I didn't like that. I wanted to have vocals that sounded powerful, not weak. I also made the choice to make Opeth into a more death metal band, rather than black metal-ish.

See, there he is describing his use of vocal styles. Not the music of the band as such. Don't misinterpret or look for meanings that actually are not there. And the fact that Opeth is a death metal band (YES, it is!) makes that quote pretty sensible.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>