Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95854
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 23:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Led Zeppelin Or The Who?
Posted By: Xonty
Subject: Led Zeppelin Or The Who?
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:19
2 classic rock bands, both with progressive elements and highly rated on this website but which is the better band for you? Personally, Led Zeppelin for me Smile

Replies:
Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:24
The Who have had some amazing albums, but I think overall Zeppelin takes the cake. 

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:30
Zep for me !

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:34
I liked The Who but Led Zeppelin is much more powerful!

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:36

Led Zeppelin for me too. At his best, Robert Plant seemed to be on about something. (Mordor, the land of ice and snow, battling for evermore, giving no quarter). Zep's given short thrift: for me, they're just on the other side of prog, but right at the line: British, mellotrons, fantasy lyrics, long songs, fusion of other genres (Indian, folk and Celtic music, & of course blues - their least convincing element when played straight, in my opinion [except for When the Levee Breaks]).

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 10:14
none in particulary, but I like both aswell

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:10
Led Zeppelin

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:21
The Who, but it is a close call.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:22
Both bands gave us devastating concerts and produced highly original and influential music. A side by side comparison could be an entire book. For instance, Entwistle was the better bass player, but Jones the better musician. Townsend was a better songwriter, but Page a better guitarist and arranger. For me, it has to be the mighty Led Zeppelin, though. My favorite period for The Who was the relatively short one starting with Tommy and ending with Quadrophenia. In between of course, was the mammoth Who's Next? The rest I can take or leave, but I have to have a complete collection of Led Zeppelin.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:41
Overall Zep's power wins the day--but like Quad and Tommy a lot--

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 13:33
Hi,

When one take in consideration the body of work and its value in literary/artistic terms, it's ahrd to think that The Who was not more valuable and important. But radio/media doesn't care about intelligence and beauty, it only cares about sales and numbers, and Led Zeppelin walked all over The Who, specially in America, although the value of The Who and their work is much more important and their last album pretty much showed that Led Zeppelin was just another band, whose meaning was ... no meaning ... just a rock'n'roll band!

And a damn good one!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

When one take in consideration the body of work and its value in literary/artistic terms, it's ahrd to think that The Who was not more valuable and important. But radio/media doesn't care about intelligence and beauty, it only cares about sales and numbers, and Led Zeppelin walked all over The Who, specially in America, although the value of The Who and their work is much more important and their last album pretty much showed that Led Zeppelin was just another band, whose meaning was ... no meaning ... just a rock'n'roll band!

And a damn good one!

Certainly the Who predates Zeppelin, and they were there at the first British Invasion of the US. By the way, the Who were huge in the US, and one was liable to hear on American radio Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes, See Me Feel Me - just as much as any Led Zep song.

American critics loved the Who, and din't have much time for Led Zep (or for Floyd, Genesis, or Tull, etc.).

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 14:27
omg both are so awesome!!! however, it has to be the former due to them being my fourth favorite artist of ALL TIME, but The Who is in the top ten for me as well

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 15:12
Zep for me.  The Who had some fantastic moments in their early days, but these seemed to dwindle away as they just kept slogging along way too long.  They diluted their greatness with too many reunion tours and too many uninspired albums when they were far past their prime.  Zep OTOH started good but kept getting better and better until Bonzo's death.  Kinda funny, both bands lost their drummers just as their careers were a little past their highest point and starting to droop...for better or worse, Zep called it quits and cemented a legacy of greatness where the Who kept flogging the dolphin and tarnishing their reputation.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 16:43
The 'oo.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 17:14
I really like Zep, but since I'm not as familiar with The Who's catalog, I feel like my vote would be unfair, so I'll pass.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 19:04
Led Zeppelin, far more diverse.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 20:14
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Hi,

And a damn good one!
Certainly the Who predates Zeppelin, and they were there at the first British Invasion of the US. By the way, the Who were huge in the US, and one was liable to hear on American radio Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes, See Me Feel Me - just as much as any Led Zep song.

American critics loved the Who, and didn't have much time for Led Zep (or for Floyd, Genesis, or Tull, etc.).

This is the unfortunate truth--  music journalism (and everyone else) loved the Who, whereas the press bashed Zeppelin almost any chance they got.   And why not; to their ears, Zep were no more than a prefabricated group pushing ersatz-Hendrix pablum and selling way too many albums in the process.   No, the press wouldn't have it.   In fact the Who were one of the bands ~ along with Hendrix, Jeff Beck Group and Cream ~ that Zep were accused of impersonating.   And to be honest, in the context of the early 70s, it is fair criticism.   It was only later when Bonzo died that people outside their fanbase realized how great they were and what had been lost.   Then the press jumped on board.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 20:36
The Who because of the masterpiece Quadrophenia.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Misomex777
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 21:03
The Stones kick both of their asses 

Posted By: iamathousandapples
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 21:15
I can appreciate The Who but I actually only really get in the mood to listen to Led Zeppelin

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/thamazingbender" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 23:23
Both bands are a bit straight forward and riff style bands. Zeps are better but there's plenty of better 70s bands

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 00:10
The Who

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 01:25
Not as easy a choice as it sounds.

I prefer the vocals of Roger Daltrey.
I don't really prefer the guitaristry of Page or Townsend over the other.
Entwhistle is recognized as one of the top bassists of his day. JPJ's a great multi-instrumentalist, though.
Bonham will get more votes than Moon, who played with plenty of power and verve, too.

I'll vote for LZ because of certain songs and they're more interesting in the lyrics dept., though they also "borrowed" a lot more than they ought to have, e.g. "Taurus" by Spirit.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 02:24
The Who

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:37
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Both bands are a bit straight forward and riff style bands.

There speaks a man who quite clearly could never have listened to the likes of Quadrophenia or Led Zep III, amongst many others.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:49
Led Zeppelin, easily! One of my all time favourite bands! The Who have some nice tracks, but are mostly meh, in my opinion of course.

-------------

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 15:13
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Both bands are a bit straight forward and riff style bands.

There speaks a man who quite clearly could never have listened to the likes of Quadrophenia or Led Zep III, amongst many others.

Zep 3 and houses are the only zep albums I rate strongly.
I'd be happy to never hear zep 2 and 4 ever again.
Heartbreaker, whole lotta love, living loving maid I couldn't listen to. I feel sick when I hear the outdated guitar and those squeely, rough vocals and the daggy ancient sounding compositions

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 15:21
Anything but Zeppelin..

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 20:39

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 20:53
I know just about nothing from The Who (well, 3 or 4 songs I think), but I would be really surprised if I got to know them and ended up liking better than Zep.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 20:54
Zeppelin all the way

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 21:56

Hi, (...) the value of The Who and their work is much more important and their last album pretty much showed that Led Zeppelin was just another band, whose meaning was ... no meaning ... just a rock'n'roll band!

(...)

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 07:46
Very, very close, and my answer could teeter either way.
But, overall, for me anyway, just from their body of work and the overall "feel", Zeppelin drinks The Who's milkshake.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Very, very close, and my answer could teeter either way.
But, overall, for me anyway, just from their body of work and the overall "feel", Zeppelin drinks The Who's milkshake.

The Who is an orange, Zeppelin's a slice of cheesecake. You know you should eat the orange, but you can't help it...

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 08:51
These metaphors are getting out of hand.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 09:10
As much as I like The Who, this is a pretty easy vote for Led Zeppelin for me.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 20:36
Tough choice for me.......both are excellent iconic classic rock bands imho.
Hmmmm.....went with Zep for no clear reason.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 23:11
Zeppelin have only great albums while The Who mainly have only great albums. Many excellent live releases which only underline the awfulness of Who's Last. Not many bands can get an album out of a compromise much less make a rock classic such as Who's Next but they did. Fascinating to think of Zeppelin 1 and In Through The Out Door and how two albums by the same band could be so different, particularly in a world which does not forgive straying into playing different tunes. But prog fans are far more open minded and able to understand progressive applies to our thinking processes as well.

Zeppelin are easier to get (a picture of their output) as they have alot less material. Zeppelin quit when ahead, The Who... are now the Why? Zeppelin on points but it's a close one. Where would we be without them. Interesting how they have shared so much, Zeppelin used to warm up for The Who - probably the only 60s rock act to not be worried about following the Zeppelin silvery trail....

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 15 2013 at 11:56
Zep

-------------

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 18:50
Led Zeppelin by a million miles. I never cared much for The Who. I find the mystique and aura of Zeppelin much more interesting. And the music, well it speaks for itself. A smoldering admixture of so many different styles and moods. They were much more diverse as well.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:24
Sure, Led Zeppelin is the Grand Pooba of all rock bands, but I just find The Who to be much more interesting. Yes, this could be said about 'Zep', but the level of musicianship of the latter was amazing in its prime. By the way, Mr. Townshend's autobio Who I Am is an enjoyable read-don't pass it up.

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Sure, Led Zeppelin is the Grand Pooba of all rock bands, but I just find The Who to be much more interesting. Yes, this could be said about 'Zep', but the level of musicianship of the latter was amazing in its prime. By the way, Mr. Townshend's autobio Who I Am is an enjoyable read-don't pass it up.

Genesis are my favorite rock band followed closely by Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin aren't even in my top 10, but I certainly enjoy their music much more than The Who's, but this, as with anything, is subjective from one person to the next. I also have always thought Page's guitar work was much more interesting than Townsend's. Page was primarily a 'blues rock' guitarist, but I loved hearing how his playing evolved over the course of the band's history. He started incorporating so many different strands of musical styles into his own style, which I didn't hear in Townsend's playing. I just connect with Zeppelin more on an emotional level.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:36
Zeppelin. For me, The Who fell off rather dramatically after Quadrophenia, and in foggy hindsight Zeppelin just had more albums that really hit me in my formative years. I still remember with delight the first time I heard Physical Graffiti -- one of the albums that really stuck with me.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:51
LOVE them both.....in the past I would have said Zep by a mile.....now it is much closer.  In fact I'll have to no-vote this one. I appreciate Pete so much more now than I used to....same with Keith.  

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 00:09
The Who and quite easily!

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 07:28
The 'orrible 'Oo

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 14:23
My vote goes to the band who made 'Achilles Last Stand'

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 14:30
LZ. The Who just don't sound progressive enough or butt-kicking enough to me. I don't remember a time when I heard Pete's guitar speak to me.
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Led Zeppelin by a million miles. I never cared much for The Who. I find the mystique and aura of Zeppelin much more interesting. And the music, well it speaks for itself. A smoldering admixture of so many different styles and moods. They were much more diverse as well.
Yep. That's pretty much the feelings I have about those two bands, though I don't focus on mystique and aura.

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Zeppelin. For me, The Who fell off rather dramatically after Quadrophenia, and in foggy hindsight Zeppelin just had more albums that really hit me in my formative years. I still remember with delight the first time I heard Physical Graffiti -- one of the albums that really stuck with me.

And speaking of falling off, In Through the Out Door! Check, please.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:24

not keen on The Ooh.

Led Zep by a Mountain.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:40
Zep for the albums, but the first Who's Eps were fantastic !

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:45
Zep vs. The Who? hahahahahahaha. Just kidding. Both are great at what they do so I can't decide. Baba O'Reilly vs. Heart Breaker? I'll pass.

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:18

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

And speaking of falling off, In Through the Out Door! Check, please.

Yes, and although the coroner didn't report it, I believe John Bonham actually died of chagrin.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:23
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

not keen on The Ooh.

Led Zep by a Mountain.
And considering they used to sing about mountains before they washed away, I'd consider that an appropriate measurement of the contrast between the two.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:35
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

LZ. The Who just don't sound progressive enough or butt-kicking enough to me. I don't remember a time when I heard Pete's guitar speak to me.

That's pretty much my sentiments. I just don't connect with Townsend. For me, the guitar solo from Stairway To Heaven alone blows away pretty much everything Townsend ever created. 

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:44
I know very little of The Who, mainly a greatest hits album. But for what I heard, I like Zeppelin much better. Still, there were a few songs from The Who that are really special... but there are many other forgetable ones, and I have found more great songs from Zep.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The 'oo.

+1.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:02
Imo, Led Zeppelin cheated their way to success so they lose many points for that. Plus they are way over played and over hyped. I still like them a lot and they are still one of my all time favorite bands but I'm voting for the under dogs known as the WHO. I saw the WHO many moons(no pun intended)ago and they were great. Never saw LZ.

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Imo, Led Zeppelin cheated their way to success so they lose many points for that. Plus they are way over played and over hyped. I still like them a lot and they are still one of my all time favorite bands but I'm voting for the under dogs known as the WHO. I saw the WHO many moons(no pun intended)ago and they were great. Never saw LZ.

I never saw "LZ" myself (obviously would have loved to) and do agree about their ample rate of play on classic rock stations. Please explain, though, what you meant by the band cheating "their way to success".

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 19:43

I never saw "LZ" myself (obviously would have loved to) and do agree about their ample rate of play on classic rock stations. Please explain, though, what you meant by the band cheating "their way to success".
I think he is talking about plagiarism.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 20:12
Well I only have one Who album and I have all the Zeppelin studio releases.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 02:00
The Who were a genuinely progressive band (even if they always remained more rooted in Rock than the classic Prog giants), by 1969 they had already released Tommy which was clearly something far beyond any traditional blues-rock or psychedelic.
Zep on the other hand were at heart a blues-rock band (only with Houses of the Holy in 1973 they really made their first progressive album, probably because Prog was so popular at the time that it infected them too), fortunate to have a great musician in John Paul Jones, an immensely charismatic singer, a spectacular drummer and a very powerful stage presence, and they (or their management) were clever to exploit their strengths. Zep made some very good music at their peak but I still have more appreciation for The Who.

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 10:10
Hmm...let's hear Pete opine on this.
Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 10:52
I like Pete.....nice to hear the honesty there instead of the usual celeb buttkissing....and yet he didn't make it personal or bitter.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:12
Then again, Pete can be honest with a little hint of personal.....or a bit more than a hintLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFMREGvqCnU" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFMREGvqCnU

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 17:56
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well I only have one Who album and I have all the Zeppelin studio releases.

Would that be Live at Leeds?

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 23:44
Zeppelin

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 20 2018 at 23:03
The Who all the way.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 01:49
The Who.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 01:53
Could've sworn I'd already answered to this, but... can't find it

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

by light years, really

- Their golden-flock-haired god singer: Small advantage to Percy, if only by the quality of his solo career
- Their substance-addicted guitarist: Townshend is the better singwriter (proggier as well) and an under-rated soloist (and also a good singer), but clearly Pagey is the better plagiarist guitarist and an OK songwriter (when not thieving arouns) and probably a horrible singer.
- Their all-too-quiet bassist: though I like JPJ and the fact that he also played KB, he cannot compete with The Ox' brass arrangements, his bass voice and his extraordinary lead-bass playing. Songwriting-wise both were the second fiddle to their guitarist
- Their dead-alcoholic-dummer: Moon the loon by a Sun distance... the most intuitive lead-drummer ever, even though unable to repeat. Moon the leader-drummer, Bonham, the leaden-drummer

Though I probably own more Zep albums (the first five and TSRTS), but only ny a hair (Tommy, Quad, WAY, Next and Leeds), none of the Zep albums rank higher than Next and Quad

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 02:26
Led Zeppelin

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 06:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

by light years, really

yeah and hell yeah..

never sure with the current fascination with poll necromancy if I've voted or commented in an old one or this is a new one.. but my answer has been the same in all these polls we've seen comparing the two.

Who by many lightyears for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky... starting with better musicians, better albums, better songs hahah

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 09:26
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

by light years, really

- Their golden-flock-haired god singer: Small advantage to Percy, if only by the quality of his solo career
- Their substance-addicted guitarist: Townshend is the better singwriter (proggier as well) and an under-rated soloist (and also a good singer), but clearly Pagey is the better plagiarist guitarist and an OK songwriter (when not thieving arouns) and probably a horrible singer.
- Their all-too-quiet bassist: though I like JPJ and the fact that he also played KB, he cannot compete with The Ox' brass arrangements, his bass voice and his extraordinary lead-bass playing. Songwriting-wise both were the second fiddle to their guitarist
- Their dead-alcoholic-dummer: Moon the loon by a Sun distance... the most intuitive lead-drummer ever, even though unable to repeat. Moon the leader-drummer, Bonham, the leaden-drummer

Though I probably own more Zep albums (the first five and TSRTS), but only ny a hair (Tommy, Quad, WAY, Next and Leeds), none of the Zep albums rank higher than Next and Quad

I have always loved Townshend guitar playing much more than Page´s. Yes, Townshend plays very little solos, but Page´s solos are really often quite messy. In slide he´s great.

Anyway many same reasons why I prefer the Who, Jones was quite a multi-instrumentalist, but as a bass player he never achieved the greatness of the Ox.

To me the Who Sell Out, Tommy, Who´s Next and Quardrophenia are much better albums than any of Zep albums. And you can´t talk live at leeds and song remains the same in the same day.

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 10:25
Neither.

Black Sabbath

-------------
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 11:32
^ plus one Mick-o-respect point for the Joel album.. minus one for that post.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 14:58
^well yes to each their own hahah

-------------
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...

Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 15:11
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Neither.

Black Sabbath

Arguably, 1971 was the greatest year for Led Zep, The Who and Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin IV
Who's Next 
Master of Reality

Oh, and also (arguably) for 

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Alice Cooper - Love It To Death -and- Killer
Yes - The Yes Album -and- Fragile
Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Janis Joplin - Pearl
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Joni Mitchell - Blue

The don't make years like that anymore, musically speaking.

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 15:23
The Who

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 16:32

Led Zeppelin, but voted for The Who to get it closer, they’re not that far apart.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 20:54
Along with Pink Floyd, two of the biggest bands of the seventies. I actually voted for the Who because I think they are more under rated. Plus I saw them live once. Led Zeppelin are great but I think they are a tad over rated. 

Date Posted: April 21 2018 at 20:59
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I think he is talking about plagiarism.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to. A lot of bands borrowed ideas here and there and covered people's material but LZ took it to a whole other level. It's been well documented though so it's not just my opinion. All you have to do is google "led zeppelin musical plagiarism" or something to that effect or "led zeppelin ripped off old blues musicians." 

Date Posted: April 22 2018 at 11:47
Regarding 'stealing' musical ideas , chord structures, melodies, and even lyrics... etc....this is a common activity from most musicians. I'd be willing to bet money that if you asked Townsend he would say they 'borrowed' ideas from other earlier bands that came before them. No one lives in a vacuum.
Zeppelin wasn't shy about borrowing blues rock ideas from some of the old masters....for some of their more overt blues-rock songs. IMO they should have owned up to these 'covers' from the start. But in no way does this detract from their legacy imho. No one....no one ...combined the blues and rock quite like they did....period. A unique sound that became iconic.

I saw The Who in 1974 with Moon......didn't see Zep in the old days but saw Plant and Page in 1995/1998 in Chicago.....I enjoyed The Who concert more but I did not see the original Zep so it's an unfair comparison. As far as who is better....that's like asking what's better,,filet mignon or lobster...it's completely a personal taste.  The Who were a great band back then...but there was a 'mythos' around Zep that transcended music and the individual players. There was 'magic in the air'......
But....I wouldn't want to be without either bands music.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 04:59

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 06:50
Led Zeppelin Smile

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 06:53
LZ so EZ

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 07:41
The Who, without question

-------------
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album| https://atmosprog.bandcamp.com/album/atmos-i" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 08:09
Neither. Both are great but I'll say neither because although Led Zeppelin were the better band they stole too much from blues guys on their early albums. The Who were more original and maybe even more visceral but they weren't as good so they cancel each other out hence my neither.

Edit: Ok, it looks like I voted for the Who a long time ago. Whatever. 

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 08:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Neither. Both are great but I'll say neither because although Led Zeppelin were the better band they stole too much from blues guys on their early albums. The Who were more original and maybe even more visceral but they weren't as good so they cancel each other out hence my neither.

I think they (and their label) forgot to give credit where they supposed to. They thought Baby I'm Gonna Leave You was a traditional song, They forgot to mention that Dazed and Confused was a cover. Whole Lotta Love plagiarized Muddy Waters and Bring It On Home Sonny Bot Williamson. I don't remember where I read it long ago that even In my Time of Dying lifted ideas from some old blues... 

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:18
Zep - no contest.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I think they (and their label) forgot to give credit where they supposed to. They thought Baby I'm Gonna Leave You was a traditional song, They forgot to mention that Dazed and Confused was a cover. Whole Lotta Love plagiarized Muddy Waters and Bring It On Home Sonny Bot Williamson. I don't remember where I read it long ago that even In my Time of Dying lifted ideas from some old blues... 

I'm pretty sure "In My Time of Dying" was written by Bob Dylan.

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:25

Not even
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Time_of_Dying" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Time_of_Dying

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:48
Ok, so BD didn't actually write it. Big whoop. He did arrange it for his debut and his version precedes the LZ version.

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:53

Yes even. LZ's version was probably based on the Dylan version.

On Dylan's debut album page it says "Traditional, arranged by Dylan". 
It more or less means that it's a cover of a traditional old song. 

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 10:42

"In My Time of Dying" was released by Blind Willie Johnson in 1927. Johnson also wrote "Nobody's Fault But Mine". 

-------------

Posted By: Moonshake
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 13:42
Zeppelin

Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 14:22

Ok, so BD didn't actually write it. Big whoop. He did arrange it for his debut and his version precedes the LZ version.

I didn't mean it like that. I am not picking on you in any way. 
Yes, his version obviously predates Zeppelin's. Just wanted to point out the song is not a LZ original. 

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 19:35
This is a really tough one. Can’t Explain, Happy Jack, Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles, Who Are You, Eminence Front, Boris The Spider, Behind Blue Eyes, Magic Bus versus Going to California, Dyer Maker, Black Dog, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc etc etc

No no no.

Battle of Evermore … okay, Led Zeppelin by a nose.

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 19:48
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

This is a really tough one. Can’t Explain, Happy Jack, Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles, Who Are You, Eminence Front, Boris The Spider, Behind Blue Eyes, Magic Bus versus Going to California, Dyer Maker, Black Dog, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc etc etc

No no no.

Battle of Evermore … okay, Led Zeppelin by a nose.

You can't forget The Who's best song, Love Reign O'er Me

-------------
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album| https://atmosprog.bandcamp.com/album/atmos-i" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 06 2024 at 21:32
I like both but gave the edge to the Who

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk