Poll Question: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
110 [82.71%]
23 [17.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 20:05
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Personally i would consider them more crossover prog at least from Dark Side on. Before that they truly were proggy psych rock. YES, prog but with crossover success.

I think all of the famous seventies bands had crossover success. Maybe not so much King Crimson but the others did.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 02:37
No. Pink Floyd is absolutely Cock-Rock.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 02:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

LOL
especially the 60s LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 03:38

You may be confusing it with Dink Floyd which had a minor hit with "Another Dickin' the Balls" from the concept album The Balls, and made the album's sequel, the Division Balls in the 80s. The less said about the circumcision album called The Final Cut the better (it's more of a Rogered Wa*kers album anyway). My favourite DF tracks may be "A Saucerful of Syphilis", "Pricks on the Wing" and "Learning to Zip that Fly". I might just have to delete this, then delete myself.   

Edited by Logan - August 07 2020 at 03:39
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 04:14
By the way, I love lots of Pink Floyd, but, and I'm quite sure I made this point already, presenting an "Is Pink Floyd Prog" in such a dichotomous, or binary fashion seems overly simplistic to me. Pink Floyd created music which I can consider to be Prog, but not everything Pink Floyd made I consider to be Prog-proper. And is the band itself Prog? That's another question to me. Is a constructor of buildings a building?, to get a bit silly. But one can say that the sum is greater than the individual parts. And Pink Floyd's music can be labelled in various ways. If the question was, "Should Pink Floyd be included in Prog Archives?" Then my answer would be a resounding yes. Did Pink Floyd make Prog Rock? I say yes (and that needn't be exclusive).

Edited by Logan - August 07 2020 at 04:18
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 07:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You may be confusing it with Dink Floyd which had a minor hit with "Another Dickin' the Balls" from the concept album The Balls, and made the album's sequel, the Division Balls in the 80s. The less said about the circumcision album called The Final Cut the better (it's more of a Rogered Wa*kers album anyway). My favourite DF tracks may be "A Saucerful of Syphilis", "Pricks on the Wing" and "Learning to Zip that Fly". I might just have to delete this, then delete myself.   
As a matter of fact there is a band called "Drink Floyd" in Finland and their concerts are under name "Wish You Were Beer". But players are really great musicians and they play decent versions from Floyd´s songs, as far as I know, they play songs only from Dark Side, WYWH & the Wall. Here´s their facebook site:
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 07:24

By the way, I love lots of Pink Floyd, but, and I'm quite sure I made this point already, presenting an "Is Pink Floyd Prog" in such a dichotomous, or binary fashion seems overly simplistic to me. Pink Floyd created music which I can consider to be Prog, but not everything Pink Floyd made I consider to be Prog-proper. And is the band itself Prog? That's another question to me. Is a constructor of buildings a building?, to get a bit silly. But one can say that the sum is greater than the individual parts. And Pink Floyd's music can be labelled in various ways. If the question was, "Should Pink Floyd be included in Prog Archives?" Then my answer would be a resounding yes. Did Pink Floyd make Prog Rock? I say yes (and that needn't be exclusive).
I think I have said earlier I don´t really care what´s prog and what´s not. But anyway in the eighties Pink Floyd were called progband in Finland and nothing else. Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band I hadn´t ever thought to be prog until I found them in PA as RIO/Avant subgenre.

Edited by Mortte - August 07 2020 at 07:25
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 07:28
^ They sound like my kind of Pub-Rock band. Smile
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:26

Pink Floyd created music which I can consider to be Prog, but not everything Pink Floyd made I consider to be Prog-proper. 

I could say the same for 70's Black Sabbath. They are generally labeled as heavy metal (and the pioneers of that genre), but I don't consider their 4 70's albums (the debut, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die) to be mostly metal albums, and all those albums get a metal tag and I'd disagree. 70's Black Sabbath was metal, but they were musically very diverse so they also had many non-metal stuff.

Edited by TexasKing - August 07 2020 at 08:27
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:56

As a matter of fact there is a band called "Drink Floyd" in Finland and their concerts are under name "Wish You Were Beer". But players are really great musicians and they play decent versions from Floyd´s songs, as far as I know, they play songs only from Dark Side, WYWH & the Wall. Here´s their facebook site:

Haha, that's a much better name for a band than Dink Floyd. There is also one called Think Floyd.

I think I have said earlier I don´t really care what´s prog and what´s not. But anyway in the eighties Pink Floyd were called progband in Finland and nothing else. Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band I hadn´t ever thought to be prog until I found them in PA as RIO/Avant subgenre.

There's a lot of music in PA that I would not have considered to be Prog. It's such a nebulous label, and PA's scope goes beyond traditional notions of Prog. I'm glad that PA has such a wide Prog umbrella. It makes the site more interesting to me and helped with with discovery. I haven;t cared so much about what is Prog, or properly Prog, per se, more what I think fits our categories (especially for team work that I have been involved in).

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

...Pink Floyd created music which I can consider to be Prog, but not everything Pink Floyd made I consider to be Prog-proper.... 
I could say the same for 70's Black Sabbath. They are generally labeled as heavy metal (and the pioneers of that genre), but I don't consider their 4 70's albums (the debut, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die) to be mostly metal albums, and all those albums get a metal tag and I'd disagree. 70's Black Sabbath was metal, but they were musically very diverse so they also had many non-metal stuff.

One could say much the same for a huge amount of acts, and it one of the points I'm raising in that post. I'm also questioning labeling a band as Prog, or Metal, or Punk, or New Wave or whatever, instead of labeling particular music made by bands as [insert music labels here]. If a group of builders who call themselves Bob and the Builders build a building, it does not make them the building itself, silly as that sounds. And if they build multiple kinds of buildings, say, houses, skyscrapers and tepees, it would be wrong just to call those builders skyscrapers. I know it's sort of shorthand to call an act a genre, and it's implied that it refers to the music. A painter who paints impressionist paintings is an impressionist and not an impressionist painting, of course, unless one might be referring to his self-portrait etc.

One way that I would answer "Is Pink Floyd Prog Rock" is to say, "No, I don't think that the band is in and of itself prog rock, but I do think that the band made prog rock (not exclusively) and does represent a kind of prog rock."

Edited by Logan - August 07 2020 at 09:04
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:50

There's a lot of music in PA that I would not have considered to be Prog. It's such a nebulous label, and PA's scope goes beyond traditional notions of Prog. I'm glad that PA has such a wide Prog umbrella. It makes the site more interesting to me and helped with with discovery. I haven;t cared so much about what is Prog, or properly Prog, per se, more what I think fits our categories (especially for team work that I have been involved in).
The big question is why it seems to be today hard to get in any not obvious prog in PA, specially old band (for example the Red Krayola or Pere Ubu)? Has people who decides the bands changed? On the other hand it´s quite same to me, because there not seem to be anyone else interested about Red Krayola or Pere Ubu than you and I.

Edited by Mortte - August 07 2020 at 13:51
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You mean Beefheart? Pubrock?!Shocked
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:30

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You mean Beefheart? Pubrock?!Shocked

No, I meant Drink Floyd. Smile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:31
Before you vote no, you might want to go back and listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn and compare it to what was out there at the time. It is true that some of their later music tends toward blues, but prog has so many different characteristics. They are proggy, in my opinion, in many ways. Lyricism, didactic albeit twisted metaphorical storytelling, complex chords / progression, some odd time signatures, innovations with synths. I wouldn't place them in the same sub-category of prog as King Crimson. But, if you take out Pink Floyd from PA, you might as well cut off your nose to spite your face. I think some people may be mixing up the umbrella of prog with their favorite subgenre of prog. And, if you don't like my opinion, hard cheese! Resounding, resonating, and reverberating YES!!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:34
If Pink Floyd aren't prog then neither are The Moody Blues, most if not all neo prog, Strawbs, Ambrosia, The Alan Parsons Project, most folk prog and also Eloy. My point is there is a lot of prog that isn't overly complex yet is still considered prog and yet most people don't say anything about it. I think part of it is that PF are popular and played on the radio and so therefore can't possibly be considered prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 07 2020 at 14:34
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:37
I would  say yes but with the provision that this does not mean every track would be categorised as 'prog' .
The definition of 'prog rock' could well have shifted over decades,but certainly as a live act as well as on record, from what I can work out, Floyd were considered to be totally driving music away from from standard Pop, or Blues Rock, or Metal in the 1970s. Perhaps things look different 45 -50 years later. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:10
I thought PF was noise/grind? Wink

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:12
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Floyd were many things..including prog/progressive...just like most other interesting acts of the day.

PA in a nutshell:
Somebody makes beautiful music ——> (some of) the audience digs it ——> some don’t and start making theories about boxes and genres as to why X band is poor/not prog.

Shakespeare once wrote something very clever about a rose...perhaps the same can be applied to music. Put another way: if Floyd were described as proto-baroque post-rock...would the music sound any different?
As usual my brother is spot on! Clap

...."if Floyd were described as proto-baroque post-rock..." This website would LOVE them to tears and proclaim them the greatest progressive rock band ever!! LOL
Genre titles for some reason mean so much more than the actual creation of the music and how it was done.

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:14
I suppose we'll have to replace PF with Gary Numan in the Big Six.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 17:15

It's a REALLY good thing "One Slip" does NOT appear on The Final CutLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>