PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 00:26
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Thanks, sounds good. I do like the informal. I do hope that Saperlipopette! and others do post lists for the calculation, but that's up to them.

I won't splice my favorites into prog and none prog. I don't mind at all not being included for calculation. Imo the five artists/groups not on PA among my first six mentioned - are progressive artists good as any anyway.

There is indeed an inconvenience about setting up a list strictly about whatever is included in PA's DB. I've found that increasingly frustrating to have to convince (often to no avail) some stubborn PA collab or the slowness of some teams to at least listen and come quick to a declsion about inclusion.  part of the issue is the presence of the DB itself (which is a pride in itself) as a bibble. It's even happened that I've been denied a vote for an artist that will find its way onto our DB a couple of years later (can't remember who, though). 

Soooooooooo, I've been setting up separate lists for years, publishing them both on PA, PE, JMA & R6070 (I think you know bout the last one). Whatever doesn't fit into whatever PA declares "prog" finds itself on the other list and that's that. but indeed the construction of the list happens in the same bag of albums and one of the harder chores is actually to go check whatever is on our DB and setting aside what isn't. 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 23:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^ Thanks, sounds good. I do like the informal. I do
hope that Saperlipopette! and others do post lists for the calculation,
but that's up to them.

I won't splice my favorites into prog and none prog. I don't mind at all not being included for calculation. Imo the five artists/groups not on PA among my first six mentioned - are progressive artists good as any anyway.

I have two lists myself as I care about more than what is in PA. One I labelled in PA and the other not in PA. It's more practical to have some restrictions for the actual PA album of the year. with Mike's website, he has the albums in PA ready to go. If it's there it's includable for the "Albums in PA" part. Other albums and bands may be added later.

I often don't think the Prog/ non-Prog dichotomy works. So much of what I like I consider under that umbrella whether it's in PA or not.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 23:40

^ Thanks, sounds good. I do like the informal. I do hope that Saperlipopette! and others do post lists for the calculation, but that's up to them.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 22:23
Look for the dropdown on the results page in the right column, you can select which user to display.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 20:47
Weirdly I'm not seeing my votes in the individual table any more by they've still been counted in the totals.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 13:14
I've just implemented two new features for the tool: 
1. Text search for the selection, just type part of the artist or release name to find a release.
2. On the results page only one user chart at a time is shown, there is a dropdown which you can the users already considered (currently there are a few collabs who have already posted their lists in an internal beta-testing thread).
3. I've fixed the link back to the pa forum on the collection page (it still linked to the internal thread).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 01 2023 at 15:56
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 13:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 12:57
^ Sure, having a lot of discussion in this thread is not a problem at all for the results collection. Smile

And people can post informal lists here as well (like Saperlipopette did above), they will just not be included in the calculation.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 12:34
Since the PA Album of the Year open to PA members (read OP) got rather convoluted with official lists, non official lists, tech discussion, rules discussion, discussion on albums, discussion on discussions (we're trying something very new, and amazing how well it came together with a lot of hard work from Mike), I am creating this topic to move posts from the older topic into that are not user lists for the album of the year.

Feel free to rap about your choices here etc. and use the other topic for your lists intended for the AOTY event. Thanks.

And a note: Please have your lists in and finalised by the end of January, 2023.

Edited by Logan - January 09 2024 at 09:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112