Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 06:57
9 out of 10. I got the working title wrong.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 05:06
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

10/10 -- the only one I wasn't sure was how many times it took David Gilmour to play the greatest solo ever.

I guessed totally wrong on David Gilmour's greatest ever solo. Embarrassed
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 04:30
10/10 -- the only one I wasn't sure was how many times it took David Gilmour to play the greatest solo ever.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 02:52
Dark Side of the Moon Trivia Quiz

I scored only 6 out of 10 with one lucky guess. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2022 at 04:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

I think he was being sarcastic. Wink

I don't listen to the album very often due to the fact that much of it  has been played to death by fm radio. I like it but don't have the need to play it more than once every few years or so. If it serves as the number one gateway album for younger people to discover and get into prog then I think that's a good thing but to be  honest I think Close To The Edge should serve that purpose (after all CTTE is number one on PA). ;)

Anyway, my favorite PF albums are wish you were here, atom heart mother and meddle. Animals is good too and I also have a soft spot for the Wall. 

Hmmm...I don't know about that. DSotM is waaaayyyyy more lyrically accessible for the kiddies than CttE. What kid these days wants to have their livers rearranged to the solid mental grace after all? The kids these days just don't know what's good for them.

Well, then maybe the kiddies should stay away from prog. Wink

Anyway, I said it should serve that  purpose. And since when do people pay that much attention to lyrics. Lyrics can be a bonus but, let's face it, they are rarely ever the main reason people listen to this kind of music. 
To be honest, I don't pay much attention to song lyrics either - especially when they're in German. Tongue

MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 18:38

And since when do people pay that much attention to lyrics. Lyrics can be a bonus but, let's face it, they are rarely ever the main reason people listen to this kind of music. 

Ha!  I'm still finding lyrics that I didn't pay attention to as a youth.

And as a music hobbyist, I find it hard to sing and play trumpet at the same time  LOL

Edited by MrMHead - September 27 2022 at 18:39
No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 15:48

I think he was being sarcastic. Wink

I don't listen to the album very often due to the fact that much of it  has been played to death by fm radio. I like it but don't have the need to play it more than once every few years or so. If it serves as the number one gateway album for younger people to discover and get into prog then I think that's a good thing but to be  honest I think Close To The Edge should serve that purpose (after all CTTE is number one on PA). ;)

Anyway, my favorite PF albums are wish you were here, atom heart mother and meddle. Animals is good too and I also have a soft spot for the Wall. 

Hmmm...I don't know about that. DSotM is waaaayyyyy more lyrically accessible for the kiddies than CttE. What kid these days wants to have their livers rearranged to the solid mental grace after all? The kids these days just don't know what's good for them.

Well, then maybe the kiddies should stay away from prog. Wink

Anyway, I said it should serve that  purpose. And since when do people pay that much attention to lyrics. Lyrics can be a bonus but, let's face it, they are rarely ever the main reason people listen to this kind of music. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 27 2022 at 15:49
MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 14:52
Reading through some of the early posts on this thread, there were a number of "My first ..." stories

One fine summer day in the late-70's/my early teens, I was browsing through my sisters stack of 8-track tapes.  There was this one by a band with a funny name "Pink Floyd"  ???
I look at the songs and see "Money" is on there, thinking  "Hey, don't they play that on the radio?"

I popped it in, and the rest is history, as they say.
By the time The Wall came out a few years later, I was totally engrossed.

No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 20:17
The history of Syd Barrett contains some personal opinions that do not necessarily hold water. It is obvious that Syd Barrett was outgoing and charming in the beginning and it is obvious that he took too much LSD and acted permanently mentally ill afterwards...not unlike Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, or anyone else that took too much and had bad trips.

It is often stated that Mr. Barrett was already "out there" before taking lots of acid and that statement is based on an opinion regarding his songwriting on Piper. This I find moronic because all artists have the natural ability to write about things that many people may think are insane. It's because they don't understand art.

I don't feel that members of Pink Floyd understood what large doses of LSD or STP can do to a person's mind. If they did they wouldn't be blaming Syd Barrett's condition as on going since a teenager. Some of the members wouldn't be saying that he was schizophrenic before taking the drugs.

It's a fact that many people who ended up in the mental ward after taking LSD a few times were not mentally ill prior to consuming it. The LSD made them mentally ill. They were once balanced perfectly in society and LSD shattered that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 13:22
^ I lean towards the Light of the World too, where Love is the Answer, but I also have a tendency to lean towards the Dark Side of the Moon too when I'm in a proggy mood. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 18 2022 at 13:28
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 06:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sadly, as has been the case with other threads where Mosh has been proved wrong, he probably won't return to this one now.

Told you.

But, we should turn to our revolutionary illuminator all the time.
endelman-quote
ksdjfhkjhfksjdhf
stock-photo-light-red-candle-flame-fire-female-person-woman-prayer-8f740510-8633-4556-8100-8e5626ff7
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 05:16

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

"Great Gig in the Sky? It was just me playing in the studio, playing some chords, and probably Dave or Roger saying 'Hmm… that sounds nice.

Hi,

Believe whatever you wish ... but at a time, I had some 20 bootlegs BEFORE Dark Side of the Moon, so if you want to deceive your fans, because Mosh said something, go ahead ... you are just as full of it as all of us, specially when you have nothing better to do than doubt someone's words. If I could, show you the examples, I would gladly do so, but the LP's of the boots are no longer here ... they are long gone ... and seeing some of them showing is kinda cool ... but obviously you are so commercially struck that nothing can be done at all, without your permission and words!

Here are some Pink Floyd bootleg databases:

Your homework is to use these resources and find us the bootlegs that show that Syd Barrett sang on The Great Gig in the Sky. 
Good work. Sadly, as has been the case with other threads where Mosh has been proved wrong, he probably won't return to this one now.
Told you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 04:44
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Even though Momentary Lapse is not among their very best, I think it's rather good, and it's got some songs that I do love. Perhaps some of you who don't like it would do well to listen to the new remixed version of it, or of Delicate Sound of Thunder, which now has every song of Momentary Lapse included.
A Momentary Lapse of Reason is doing surprisingly well in the current 1987 poll with eight votes so far, in second place only to Marillion's Clutching at Straws album with ten votes. Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 22:09
Even though Momentary Lapse is not among their very best, I think it's rather good, and it's got some songs that I do love. Perhaps some of you who don't like it would do well to listen to the new remixed version of it, or of Delicate Sound of Thunder, which now has every song of Momentary Lapse included.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 17:54
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

And here I was thinking it was "Momentary Lapse of Reason". You really do manage to find a  special place in your heart for the runts of any particular bands litter.

It's one of his endearing qualities. I genuinely lost track of the number of times my favourite album by a band proved to be one of their lower rated albums on PA; it actually gave me a bit of a complex at one time, back in the day when I was 'fandango' on this site....

Endearing is one word. Mystifying is another. I do have a certain appreciation for people who are willing to acknowledge the lesser regarded sections of an artists catalogue as it's all a part of keeping that artists catalogue alive, even if at the same time it might baffle me as to why.

I just wonder if at times it might just be a case of being reactionary.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 02:51

And here I was thinking it was "Momentary Lapse of Reason". You really do manage to find a  special place in your heart for the runts of any particular bands litter.

It's one of his endearing qualities. I genuinely lost track of the number of times my favourite album by a band proved to be one of their lower rated albums on PA; it actually gave me a bit of a complex at one time, back in the day when I was 'fandango' on this site....
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 02:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I gave away Animals and The Final Cut to a charity shop and I've regretted it ever since. Luckily (or unluckily for some), I managed to buy another copy of The Final Cut recently, but Pigs might fly before I ever find the Animals album on sale at a charity shop again. Confused

I've done silly things like that Paul, partly because of the nomadic lifestyle I have lived, where space and security of tenure have often been an issue. I used to own the first three Mostly Autumn albums (bought them off the band when they came out) for instance... sold them on ebay about 15 years ago when I needed to downsize and now if I wanted to buy them, they'd be around £25 each... that can be the problem when you don't own your own bricks and mortar and live in with your work. 

At least Animals is a little more affordable? Smile
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 01:27
I think Dark Side sounds much better live. I bought the Experience (I think it was called) editions of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and The Walls - which I think were the only Floyd albums that got a greater treatment than the Discovery editions. While the studio album does tend to leave me cold, I do really quite like the live version.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, as there was precedent there for me after The Wall received its official live release several years earlier. Apart from when I bought the Experience edition of The Wall, I don’t think I had listened to the studio album since purchasing the excellent live album.

Regarding Momentary Lapse, perhaps I like it because of how old I was when it was released. Did it come out in ‘87? I can’t remember, but I think it was around then, in which case I would have been only 11 or 12. So it could be one of those albums which might not have stuck with me, if I had encountered it at a later age. But I do still like, or even love, a great number of albums and artists from that time, that I suspect I would not otherwise.

Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 19:32
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I prefer Momentary Lapse of Reason over Dark Side of the Moon. 🤷🏻‍♂️

How very munificent and postmodern of you.
Not really, and I commented thus only because Paul made it seem like such a strange thing.
Dark Side has never done much for me. I don’t know why. The only song I knew from it before buying it was Money, which I’ve never liked - but I don’t think I’m letting my opinion of one song colour my enjoyment of the whole album.

The first Floyd album I bought was The Wall. Next was Wish You Were Here. Then Animals. These remain my top three Floyd albums, possibly in part because they were the first three I heard and got to know well and love, and surely in part simply because they are great albums.

The next album I bought was Dark Side, which I knew the cover of, and knew Money from, but genuinely didn’t know was generally regarded as not just Floyd’s best album, but one of the greatest albums ever. I was just a kid. I wasn’t really aware of what the world thought was great, so much as what I liked. I was recommended Dark Side by an uncle who when he found out I was enjoying the three Floyd albums I had bought, said if I liked them, I’d love Dark Side. So perhaps I went in with greater expectations than I should have (I very much respected my uncle’s opinions, when it came to music), but I was incredibly underwhelmed by Dark Side.

I suppose Paul made it seem like a strange thing because it arguably is a strange thing. I would hazard that most assessments of the Floyd catalogue would have DSotM somewhere near the top and AMLoR hovering down the back end of the list. But there have been stranger things, like Kate Bush being on top of the charts and leading the charge at the moment.

For my part, comparing the two Floyd albums "Money" is overplayed and in my opinion a rather mediocre example of what Floyd can do, "Any Color You Like" is the very definition of filler and although "Great Gig in the Sky" is highly touted in some corners, it leaves me cold. I just can not handle the caterwauling vocals.

That still leaves a sizable chunk of the album to admire imho.

As for "...Momentery Lapse...", I can handle "Learning to Fly" and "Sorrow" is acceptable (even though it's largely Gilmour doing Gilmour by the numbers and becomes a bit turgid after a while).

After that for me it is literally forgettable and by that I mean that regardless of how many times I've listened to it I can not remember anything but the aforementioned two tracks.

But hey, as we all well know, each to their own (not that anyone needs my permission or approval).
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 01:37

I prefer Momentary Lapse of Reason over Dark Side of the Moon. 🤷🏻‍♂️

How very munificent and postmodern of you.
Not really, and I commented thus only because Paul made it seem like such a strange thing.
Dark Side has never done much for me. I don’t know why. The only song I knew from it before buying it was Money, which I’ve never liked - but I don’t think I’m letting my opinion of one song colour my enjoyment of the whole album.

The first Floyd album I bought was The Wall. Next was Wish You Were Here. Then Animals. These remain my top three Floyd albums, possibly in part because they were the first three I heard and got to know well and love, and surely in part simply because they are great albums.

The next album I bought was Dark Side, which I knew the cover of, and knew Money from, but genuinely didn’t know was generally regarded as not just Floyd’s best album, but one of the greatest albums ever. I was just a kid. I wasn’t really aware of what the world thought was great, so much as what I liked. I was recommended Dark Side by an uncle who when he found out I was enjoying the three Floyd albums I had bought, said if I liked them, I’d love Dark Side. So perhaps I went in with greater expectations than I should have (I very much respected my uncle’s opinions, when it came to music), but I was incredibly underwhelmed by Dark Side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>