Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes vs. Glass Hammer dust-up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 20:15
Originally posted by mustachemanager mustachemanager wrote:

Jon Anderson should do a complete "Olias of Sunhillow" set on the cruise at sunrise.

...kinda like this?  (I filmed this at the Arcada Theater, St. Charles, Illinois!)

I agree, I'd LOVE to see a live "Olias," anywhere!

mustachemanager View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 14:27
Jon Anderson should do a complete "Olias of Sunhillow" set on the cruise at sunrise.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 10:44
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Isn't it just possible that there are concerns that JD's voice wouldn't hold up for several consecutive appearances on single nights? Taxing for anyone.

Assuming that GH would be on before Yes I find it feasible to assume that Yes (or their management) didn't want to go onstage with a singer whose voice is by then shot to buggery.

If I were Yes, this would have me worried.

This story is possibly being given a more sinister spin than warrants the cause.

Absolutely true and valid points; however, you would think this would have been sorted out long beforehand!    

Yes were booked for CTTE first, and GH second, so perhaps Yes claimed priority.  Also, Yes has a grueling tour upcoming, and a return to the studio.  

In discussions with GH, they don't sound all that worried about it.  As someone mentioned, they rarely play live, and they are benefiting hugely from their association with Yes, so perhaps they want to keep it quiet.  GH fans are quite in an uproar however.  

The suggestion for GH to bring Jon Anderson on is brilliant, I'd LOVE to see the reaction to that on the cruise ship!  
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 12:48

Isn't it just possible that there are concerns that JD's voice wouldn't hold up for several consecutive appearances on single nights? Taxing for anyone.

Assuming that GH would be on before Yes I find it feasible to assume that Yes (or their management) didn't want to go onstage with a singer whose voice is by then shot to buggery.

If I were Yes, this would have me worried.

This story is possibly being given a more sinister spin than warrants the cause.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 08:33
No, Infandous, I noticed that too, it certainly doesn't mention that he won't be part of Glass Hammer anymore altogether.

I think I also read something in the last week or two that the Hammer guys with Davison where excited about some new recordings they were starting?? Don't know where I think I read that, perhaps Facebook (even though I don't use it)? I'll investigate!

UPDATE --> Yep, just checked their Facebook page, and a link on January 25th wrote: "Jon Davison is working on some interesting ideas for an upcoming Glass Hammer album."

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - February 13 2013 at 08:50
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 08:16
Well, apparently the members of Yes all said yes to him singing with both bands.  Yes' management disagreed and said no.

Whatever the truth, I have long since lost interest in anything "Yes" does (without Anderson, I just don't see it as Yes).  Fly From Here was the best Buggles album ever.  As a Yes album, it was not terrible, but that's the best praise I can give it.

Also, it doesn't appear from this news that Davison is no longer in Glass Hammer, only that he won't be appearing with them on this cruise.  Is that correct, or did I miss something about him not being in Glass Hammer anymore?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 06:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Squire ought to apply for a soap opera scriptwriter job. He'd make a mint.
Except all the goings-on with Yes over the years would be less believabel than Eastenders.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 17:50
Doctor, grab a copy of `Perilous' right now!

Perhaps what you said is part of the problem - Chris worried about being upstaged by Fred, and Davison in Hammer coming across as the better act of the two on that cruise stage!

Oh well, the proof will be there at the time, Hammer will tear through their set and totaly upstage Yes all the same!

(Man, I really love Yes, I don't want it to sound like I keep taking little shots at them!)

Richard, I just listened to `Culture' yesterday and think Carl back would be a great thing, if the worst situation happens and Davison has to wrap up with GH due to Yes. I think he'd be allowed more artistic freedom and collaboration with Hammer, but seriously, would YOU or any of us say no to get to be in Yes (and I assume record with them soon too)?!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Maybe Glass Hammer could bring Susie Bogdanowicz back on board for the cruise.

As much as I've enjoyed their last two albums (have yet to hear their latest), I do miss Susie.   Still, I bet Fred could slap the .... outta Chris.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 15:37
What in the world is up with these Yes guys?

I love the band, and all the albums, but I sometimes think that ALL of them seem to be a bunch of w**kers!

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 15:15
Glass Hammer will be fine. 3 fine albums with the same line up so I think a little bit of a shake up (ie freshening up) shouldn't harm them that much. The rocks of the band will continue to be Babb and Schendel. I would argue that The Inconsolable Secret is their best and that had Matt Mendians on drums. The line up for Culture Of Ascent was even better with Carl Groves and Mendians imo. GH always adapt successfully with any line up change. Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 09:02
Yep, I saw Yes with fellow Archives member Stratcat and we met AtomicCrimsonRush there too (great bloke you are, Scott!) in Melbourne last year, and we could all vouch that Davison was truly suberb with the band!

`Fly From Here' is a perfectly pleasant listen, nothing more, nothing less

(although `Perilous' wipes the floor with it! )
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 08:44
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Davison's association with Glass Hammer altogether. Although his three albums with them have all been very good, it was finally with `Perilous' that everything really came together and they gelled better than they ever have, releasing their most ambitious and grand album so far.

I agree!  "Perilous" is a fine effort, better than "Fly From Here."  I wonder if Yes is even playing anything from FFH live with Davison?  

Personally, I was skeptical that two bands could simultaneously share a lead vocalist, due to the rigors of the job!   

However, Davison does have some composing skills, and he's also an excellent bassist, so Yes may be undergoing a metamorphosis before our eyes.  We'll have to see. 

Did anyone else see the US Grammy awards show?  Not much prog at that one, eh?  Ugh!  Dead
I saw Yes this summer with Davison and they did play the "Fly From Here" suite, but no other songs from the album.  It was flawless and Davison was perfect!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 08:31
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Davison's association with Glass Hammer altogether. Although his three albums with them have all been very good, it was finally with `Perilous' that everything really came together and they gelled better than they ever have, releasing their most ambitious and grand album so far.

I agree!  "Perilous" is a fine effort, better than "Fly From Here."  I wonder if Yes is even playing anything from FFH live with Davison?  

Personally, I was skeptical that two bands could simultaneously share a lead vocalist, due to the rigors of the job!   

However, Davison does have some composing skills, and he's also an excellent bassist, so Yes may be undergoing a metamorphosis before our eyes.  We'll have to see. 

Did anyone else see the US Grammy awards show?  Not much prog at that one, eh?  Ugh!  Dead
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 08:04
^ I actually enjoyed "Fly From Here" also, it has some good moments.  Agree with Glass Hammer's "Perilous", I think it is their best yet, and I am a Lex Rex fan.

Regarding the childish ways that Yes are acting, reminds of an old Carol Burnett spin on soap operas' called "As the Stomach Turns". 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 03:22
Sadly, if there's enough demand for some more `Dad-rock', Yes will continue to deliver!

I say this tongue-in-cheek, I really don't mind `Fly From Here' all that much, for what it is!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 03:03
Lol...Drama indeed.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 02:58
Its amazing that a band that was at one time the most meaningful music creators to me can become such an outrageous embarrassment to their fans, their colleagues and their legacy. They really should have hung it up 20 years ago with the Union tour, ending on a high note. Every time I think they have hit the bottom they make the news with crap like this. Sad really.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 02:12
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 01:41
I would be furious if I was on the cruise BUT the statement says that Carl Groves will be returning for the shows. He was the singer on Culture Of Ascent and is as good as Jon Davison so they have found a satisfactory solution to the problem imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>