Good Prog-Rock Songs w/ Female Vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Prog-Rock Songs w/ Female Vocals
    Posted: June 01 2024 at 15:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Anything with the amazing Gayle Moran, including Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond." 

Sorry, I forgot to post a video clip!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2024 at 09:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've enjoyed Erik's music as a solo artist and with Rocket Scientists since their arrival. Great keyboardist, great guy, great mind. Erik has worked with Alesis and IK Multimedia, and is now employed by Moog Music (yes, Lana and Erik relocated to the east coast)!
Hi,

They put on the best, and most professional of all the shows in SF in 1999 in my book ... they came ready to show and go ... and they did. beautifully. Sadly, so few people got to see it and enjoy the work.

IF, I have a thought or two, it would be on the lyrics on the material for Lana Lane's albums, and while nice, and the idea of a concept often stands up, in the end, the wording is, on occasion, not quite well used to help the music. A couple of times, I have felt the energy drop, because the voice could not interpret the lyrics well enough to make the music better.

As a "director" that did theater and some film, in my book the only thing that Lana Lane might have enjoyed would be a voice coach like Andrea Toyias ... (she coaches almost all voice actors in World of Warcraft) ... and she has a knack for finding the mood and the strength ... that one song, at one time in one of Blizzard's yearlies showed someone singing in the voice of Sylvannas, and it was not only fantastic, it was something that Lana Lane could have done easily enough. And visually stunning, as they were able to get the lights done halfway decent to help it get better. Andrea Toyias knows the difference between poetry and expression and how to use them properly, instead of it just being "lyrics". It makes all the characters she works with very strong, and the voicings are phenomenal ... you would always hope to get half that energy on a show ... 

Other than that, considering the amount of work they have done ... it's excellent. And yeah, I would love to see that show again ... it was that good. Erik and Lana might even remember me ... I was back stage with them just before their show.

Edited by moshkito - June 01 2024 at 09:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 15:05
Almost any album by Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes, but especially Paix (1974).
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 09:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Same lineup that played the SF Progressive Music Festival. Just not sure which came first ... although it was suggested that half the equipment used in the SF show was Erik Nordanler's, as apparently they could not get nearly everything Per wanted or was looking for.

I've enjoyed Erik's music as a solo artist and with Rocket Scientists since their arrival. Great keyboardist, great guy, great mind. Erik has worked with Alesis and IK Multimedia, and is now employed by Moog Music (yes, Lana and Erik relocated to the east coast)!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 07:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

trying to find something featuring the late great Magdelana Hagberg (PLP). 

Hi,

Same lineup that played the SF Progressive Music Festival. Just not sure which came first ... although it was suggested that half the equipment used in the SF show was Erik Nordanler's, as apparently they could not get nearly everything Per wanted or was looking for. Still made for a really good show, and they were tight and presented themselves well ... with only one sad side ... the number of folks that came to that whole thing was sad ... probably half the number it needed and all the bands in it, did a superb job ... with some outstanding shows ... I suppose the only sad one I thought about was Brand X ... with only one original, and while nice, and sounding good, the other folks could not make it sound better and stronger ... I almost think they were the weakest point, although the only one I did not enjoy much of was Buckethead .... if he had a real band with him, it would make his show much more interesting. Instead you fall asleep after 10 minutes!

Magdelana passed away Christmas 2007. She also played the violin, not just sing with Per.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 00:48
Apoteosi originates from Calabria, the well-known Italian south region. On their self-titled album from 1975, all the tunes are top-notch and very airy; the playing is amazing and diverse, with wonderful utilisation of grand piano, Hammond organ, ARP synthesiser, flute, electric and acoustic guitar, and incredible vocals brought by singer Silvana Idà. 
These are the three songs we will focus on from Apoteosi's single album's five tracks. 
First up is "Prima Realta, Frammentaria Rivolta," a nearly 15-minute piece that showcases the band's individual talent, from the bassist to the keyboardist to the vocalist. Silvana Idà indeed shines as one of the best female voices I've ever heard in the symphonic rock genre.
"Oratorio (Corale)," a little tune with a chorus that sounds ethereal, adorned with Silvana's beautifully haunting lead vocal.
The opening section of "Dimensione da sogno" is a little vocal composition for piano and distant, delicate electric leads. Silvana Idà sang her sublime vocal part with a lot of dignity and delight.

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 12:56
Francis Likrish (of the Enid) has released two albums (one as Secret Green) with Hillary Palmer on vocals, and they are both fantastic. Not from the 70s but he's best well known as the Enids guitarist from the 70s, so he's of that era.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 08:22
Hi,

I was thinking that the one piece that really stands out in my mind is Annie Haslam in the piece that she burned a hole in DD's ears ... on the live at Carnegie Hall album. His reaction is priceless ... and you know he "heard" it and then some!
www.pedrosena.com
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 06:55
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Affinity was a short-lived band from the original British progressive rock movement. Affinity's self-titled album, released in 1970, showcases an ingenious eclectic blend of early jazz-rock, psychedelic blues-rock, pop, and folk influences. The band was fronted by the powerful vocalist Linda Hoyle.

The album opens with "I Am and So Are You," a song with cryptic lyrics that set the tone for the rest of the record. Other standout tracks include "Night Flight," which features a melancholic opening before bursting into life with impressive energy and vigour; "I Wonder If I'll Care As Much," an Everly Brothers cover that tugs at the heartstrings; and "Mr. Joy," a bluesy song with lyrics that leave one wondering about the identity of "Mr. Joy."
The grand finale is a pulsating progressive rock cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," which clocks in at 11 minutes and showcases the singing abilities of Linda Hoyle and the band's raw power and sheer delight.

Always loved the song, "Night Flight". Linda Hoyle is a favorite of mine... It's not prog, but "Paper Tulips" is a beautiful song.
(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8885322e39d9e24c',t:'MTcxNjQ2ODg4MS43NzQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();
< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 01:23
Affinity was a short-lived band from the original British progressive rock movement. Affinity's self-titled album, released in 1970, showcases an ingenious eclectic blend of early jazz-rock, psychedelic blues-rock, pop, and folk influences. The band was fronted by the powerful vocalist Linda Hoyle.

The album opens with "I Am and So Are You," a song with cryptic lyrics that set the tone for the rest of the record. Other standout tracks include "Night Flight," which features a melancholic opening before bursting into life with impressive energy and vigour; "I Wonder If I'll Care As Much," an Everly Brothers cover that tugs at the heartstrings; and "Mr. Joy," a bluesy song with lyrics that leave one wondering about the identity of "Mr. Joy."
The grand finale is a pulsating progressive rock cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," which clocks in at 11 minutes and showcases the singing abilities of Linda Hoyle and the band's raw power and sheer delight.

Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 20:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

This is probably not what the thread opener is looking for, but I love it so much!
... Surrounded by the Stars ...
And another vocal highlight from Renate.

Hi,

I kind of wished that Renate had done a solo album, however, as is the case in one CD, I think that she might be the one person in the band that did not want to rehearse and try to make things look better, and still keep that "krautsomething" alive by improvising, and just doing stuff that might not sound as good as material that is a bit more focused. But she is strong in her own way, and I wish that she had been able to channel it into something more than a haphazard improvisation lasting a long time, that was ... maybe just for me ... meaningless ... otherwise, except for the fact that it was an improvisation, and one that ... probably won't matter, anyway!

Her vocals, for my ears ... were fairly well tuned to the material for a few albums, but I have a feeling that the band deciding that she was not going to be up front all the time, probably had a side effect that we see later in at least one CD of her live in performance. 

But you could take one or two pieces from each album from WOLF CITY on, and make a stupendous album. And "Surrounded by the Stars" is not the only one. The biting venom of the deadly snake in "Mozambique" tells you more about her style and ability that the band was probably afraid to take on, and become some sort of metal band doing a growl like delivery by Renate! But it was effective and a couple of months later that country got its independence ... that was kind of strange, but for me, it brought the message home like so many "songs" can't even try ... 

But there is something really scary here, and it is in the HIJACK album in "Da Guadeloop" when the feminist wants to march and stand up, and is laughed off! That while funny in a sense, is down right insulting and I think that Renate was shut off probably more times than we know ... but I am not sure that she gives a darn ... she continued on!

De Guadaloop is a great song. Shaft-like, papa was a rolling stone vibe is fantastic. hi-Jack is an underappreciated album. I did not put together the laughter at Renate. Good info.
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 18:04
Gosh I love 70s prog (and 70s music in general.. and movies) but also the engineering/production. I like more looser songs, not so "tight". I don't like click-tracks (which you can notice on "Teen Town" by Weather Report), and it was so eclectic. I guess I like some sbilance, too, but it's always about the song for me.

Cos
https://youtu.be/tgu4ARMhjms

Edited by MortSahlFan - May 22 2024 at 18:06

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2023 at 19:15
trying to find something featuring the late great Magdelana Hagberg (PLP). 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2023 at 11:29
An entire mix!

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 07:27
Sad to have such a post when there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of songs I could name--and, yes: they're all from accepted prog sources.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 05:28
Rotary Connection -
I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun

starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starless2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2023 at 19:12
Clocks and Clouds- National Health, Amanda Parsons vocals
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 09:51
Curved Air
Earth and Fire early works ( before they went 'pop rock')
Nexus ( Argentina) Dentras del Umbral
Tale Cue : first and last CD (Italy)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 14:12
Brother Ah - Far Away
https://youtu.be/ymPNn3Bk9IY
Brother Ah - Far Away
https://youtu.be/ymPNn3Bk9IY

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 02:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>