FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anybody feel the same?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anybody feel the same?
    Posted: August 29 2020 at 07:13
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Nostalgia can be fine.

Hi,

I'm wondering if we have to be careful with this ... for example ... I don't listen to Tchaikovsky or Stravinsky because of nostalgia ... so why would I do the same with Amon Duul 2?

Yes, many bands that are listed as "progressive" happen to be during my time, when their work came about, and yes there are many things that I appreciate from that time, but not "nostalgia" ... I liked the vibe at the Fillmore in its heyday ... and there is nothing nostalgic about it, because in the past 20 years, in any club I have seen, there has not been a single concert that was as far out and cool as many of those were ... we didn't stand there and say that the long cut suckks! Or the something or other was boring because the "song" did not follow a favored format by many fans that have had their heads so commercialized that they can not tell the difference in the music!

As for the drumming sound, or this and that ... the day someone takes that dang'd snare drum and splash it over a drummer's head, is the day I might like to appreciate a drummer again ... I'm tired of the overly loud, and un-necessary emphasis on the beat with it ... it's annoying and has a tendency to take away from the music itself ... so the music changes to something else ... and the drumming is the same! That's not a good drummer ... that's a person that does not understand the music, or can hear it at all! He/she is too busy counting the numbers to stay in touch! That's not a musician ... that's a hack!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 12:46
The 80s was like a transitional period. In first class studios the 70s sound was passe by 1981 but in smaller studios in like Bulgaria or Estonian CCP or even Poland they would still record the drums the late 70s way up until I think 1986.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by SixString SixString wrote:

You can get the 70's drum sound with hard disk recording but people choose not to. Techniques that are used in studios now mean that you are rarely hearing a full live performance of anything.

Drums are probably the most difficult instrument to record in a studio to sound good. But I don't see why it's not possible to do it the same way they did it in the 70's. Also, I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "hard disk." However, if a band were to record something live in the studio wouldn't they get pretty much the same sound as in the old days?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 28 2020 at 12:22
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 09:51
Nostalgia can be fine.
The Prog Corner
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 08:47
I grew up listening to music of the 70's, so I definitely don't hate it. There's much of it I still love. But sometimes I really feel like I need something new, something different, something more modern sounding. So I can be put off by listening too much to the same old thing, but I don't hate it.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 02:32
Maybe the sound was mediocre in some cases, but the songwriting was unmatched as today there's not many band in prog that could say that the songs are good from start to finish.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

SixString View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixString Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 02:23
You can get the 70's drum sound with hard disk recording but people choose not to. Techniques that are used in studios now mean that you are rarely hearing a full live performance of anything.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 01:49
Nope here as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 01:24
No I don't feel the same as you.

I grew up in the 70's but was a child, and paid little attention to rock music until the early 80s. I now regard the 70's as the golden era of rock music generally, and I love listening to the music. I feel no anger or bitterness at its being from a bygone age. Why would I? Why would anyone. It's just music, and is immortalised on numerous formats for your pleasure.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 00:26
I'm 65.....when I was a lad, I grew up knowing folks who had seen The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and others live, and heard great stories about the venues back in that era.  

Do I hate that music?  Not at all, reading the interviews of those days makes me curious and gives me appreciation for how creative those musicians were! 

Beatles had those huge Vox amps because the PA systems we are used to hadn't been developed yet.  Hendrix had to re-invent the guitar to get the sounds he had in his head.  

it's all good.  I've seen some amazing post 1970s bands, and they do not diminish the shows I saw....LTIA, CTTE, TAAB and other major tours.  I was there, it was good, and it is still good.  Clap

Check these guys out, I saw them open for Dream Theater once!  Scary technical skills! 

Edited by cstack3 - August 25 2020 at 00:29
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 00:09
The drum sound on Nursery Cryme may be the worse I've ever heard but its largely irrelevant as we are talking about 'playing' not 'sound'Smile

Fact is no one can now play like Carl Palmer , Phil Collins and Jon Hiseman. That level of drumming is a lost art in my opinion. Keyboards is a different matter. Listen to the latest Deep Purple album for a masterclass from Don Airey. Yes he is from that era but even Carl Palmer can no longer play like he did. Once he dropped the single bass drum set up for Asia that was it and he could never get it back. Check out ELP playing at Rich Colosseum (Buffalo) 1974 .Pictures At An Exhibition. There is nothing , literally nothing that is in the same universe anywhere anymore. Just the fact of it. Bands were testing themselves to the absolute limit until it came to an end about 1975. At least we have these recordings to remind us though.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 22:22
But the music still survives past the time it was created. It has been recorded. None of us have heard the music as it was being created, whether now or from any time in the past unless we were in the studios when the music was recorded. If you have heard it, it is still present. This is the beauty of recordings. Written music is like that as well. Beethoven is long gone, but his music yet remains.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 21:28
Hate will leave you to the Dark Side it will, Dark Side of the Moon, yes.
Na, love 70s music. Love all eras. Probably prefer 70s above all others as a whole.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 20:46
Oh hell no! I was in High School in the early '70s and Progressive Rock ("Prog" was not used until much later) was my music. I listened to other things back then but Progressive Rock was my staple.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 19:36
Uhh, sorry to say that I don't feel the same. I only get a warm, happy feeling listening to 70s prog.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 19:25
But 70's music is not lost, you can hear it whenever you want to. There's enough 70's music that you could keep on finding new music for a very long time as if they were being released now. As long as you enjoy it, just keep on doing so, and keep on looking for new 70's music to enjoy.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 18:25
By the way, that seventies drum sound wasn't recreated in the 80's either. ;)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 18:03
I'm not sure I totally understand your rant but the 70's sound is well, REAL. Bands recording in the studio live, the whole room mic'd up and knowing what you are hearing is what they deemed perfect after so many takes and retakes. You are truly hearing what the artist wanted you to hear......Today the computer decides what you are hearing.
As far as drum sounds, I can understand. For example on JTull both TAAB and Aqualung the bass and bass guitar parts are thin sounding, especially on my original LP versions. Both of the remixed versions by Steven Wilson he and Ian Anderson bumped the bass some and it has a much more appealing bottom end. I also find this to be the case with 50-60s jazz records.....Part of the reason is the analog playback equipment back then was not able to handle the low end and the stylus could/would jump out of the groove if the engineer was not careful, Don Was (President of BlueNote Records) discussed this regarding how Rudy Van Gelder mastered all those brilliant jazz recordings knowing this would happen. 
Today with much better analog playback gear that is not the case anymore, I can compare many originals with recent re-issues that contain a much beefier low end and the sound is simply glorious off my turntable.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 16:01
No. Just no.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 15:50
I can't seem to listen to music made AFTER the 70s.... A lot of sh*tty production, sh*tty songs, etc.

I feel the same about movies.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>