Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Plant - Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Where does this artist fit in the Prog spectrum?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.00%]
2 [3.33%]
3 [5.00%]
3 [5.00%]
12 [20.00%]
37 [61.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Plant - Prog?
    Posted: November 06 2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^ You find Plants music divorced from prog completely and yet you vie for the inclusion of Priest who have even less to do with Prog.

I simply quoted a guy from Amazon who explained JP were the link between traditional heavy metal and prog metal. The fact that my avy is a JP cover has nothing to do with a supposed fierce determination to include them in PA. And remember that they have two albums that are respectively psychedelic hard rock and progressive hard rock.

And yes, Robert Plant has strictly nothing to do with prog. Can you point out at least one full prog album by Robert Plant ?

Do we need a full prog album for xover? Principle of Moments is progish. So are the couple of albums after it.

I genuinely though I read your support for JPs inclusion, nothing to do with your avvy. Sorry if I'm mistaken

ClapClapClap

and Fate of Nations
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 18:36
I remember when I first listened to Pictures At Eleven.....Only thing missing was the rest of Led Zepp members and I thought there were some proggy moments on that album. Certainly more main stream rock though....
Then Principal of Moments....more proggy stuff on that one I thought, I also own Now and Zen, proggy album cover but that's about it.
Clearly there are many prog attributes to his solo material, not 100% but its there.

I chose the 2nd to the last option.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Just to finish, Prog has to evolve, we have a lot of genres that prove that like Avant, Rio etc, even Symphonic the conception of Symphonic has evolved from the 70's, but this doesn't justify Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga being added under the excuse of Prog having to evolve (Hyperbole just in case).

Iván

True!  However, I'm of the opinion that Lady Gaga would make one hell of a prog act if she wanted to go that way!  She's a talented keyboardist, expert with costumes and knows how to captivate an audience!  

Bieber, not so much.....Ouch

Edited by cstack3 - November 06 2011 at 18:16
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

On the original poll question of Plant, I gave my honest opinion that he was prog related, at best. That would be based upon albums such as Pictures At Eleven, and the follow up, whose name escapes me. His later stuff, both solo and with collaborators such as Alison Krauss (a great album, BTW) would not, IMHO, fit into the prog site at all. I've said it before, but will repeat myself - this is the problem with having an artist, rather than albums included on the site. Of course, then we would all row until kingdom come about the albums, but there is the nature of such thingsLOL.

I can, therefore, see why Plant is on here for albums such as the debut. Having Raising Sand & Band Of Joy is simply ludicrous - they are not even prog related, let alone crossover prog.

I would also make the entirely reasonable point that having such albums on this site makes it almost unbelievable that Phil Collins is not here as a solo artist - there is a lot of at least prog related stuff on Face Value, for instance.

A fine point. No doubt this has indeed been discussed before, but why not again?

What are the strengths and drawbacks to introducing a new category/section called something like Crossover Albums?

This would allow for some albums which have missed out, due to an artist having the rest of the discog ineligble, to be included. As I see it, the Crossover Artist section doesn't cater for this situation. An CO 'Albums' would allow Plant to (potentially) slip an album or two in an doubtless other bands too, but remove his country/pop/world fusion albums out

I can see two good things to come of it:

1) A reduction of diatribes against artists' on basis of discogs (and by extension 'what is prog' debates)
2) An expansion of the PA database to include some missing gems

On the downside, it would no doubt be a truckload of work - and would effectively trash a lot of hard work done by members in the past, which seems unfair. It will also increase the burden on the evaluation teams.

Thoughts?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 14:25

Do we need a full prog album for xover? Principle of Moments is progish. So are the couple of albums after it.

I genuinely though I read your support for JPs inclusion, nothing to do with your avvy. Sorry if I'm mistaken

I believed that for a FULL PROG GENRE, we need at least a FULL PROG ALBUM, and Crossover is a FULL PROG GENRE.

If a band or artist has Proggish moments, the right place would be Prog Related...I don't believe Plant is even there.

Iván

BTW: I don't believe Judas Priest should be here, even when i believe they are closer than Plant.

No, Plant is way more prog than JP. If you need a full prog crossover album then i submit The Principle Of moments
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 14:20

^ You find Plants music divorced from prog completely and yet you vie for the inclusion of Priest who have even less to do with Prog.

I simply quoted a guy from Amazon who explained JP were the link between traditional heavy metal and prog metal. The fact that my avy is a JP cover has nothing to do with a supposed fierce determination to include them in PA. And remember that they have two albums that are respectively psychedelic hard rock and progressive hard rock.

And yes, Robert Plant has strictly nothing to do with prog. Can you point out at least one full prog album by Robert Plant ?

Do we need a full prog album for xover?

Uhh,,,yes. Its a full prog genre and should be subjected to the rules of the other prog subs for addittion. As I understead an artist needs at least 1 full prog album for inclusion. (I assume its differernt for PR being it's not full prog sub). If it is not then we have a bigger problem here.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 14:18

I believed that for a FULL PROG GENRE, we need at least a FULL PROG ALBUM, and Crossover is a FULL PROG GENRE.

If a band or artist has Proggish moments, the right place would be Prog Related...I don't believe Plant is even there.

Iván

BTW: I don't believe Judas Priest should be here, even when i believe they are closer than Plant.

That is my understanding as well. As I implied before, it might be an idea to revisit those guidelines.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 14:16

Iván

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 14:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

4.- I don't accuse the teams of adding their favorite bands, I said many people suggest their favorite bands (We've seen a lot of that) and many times they are added by MISTAKE.

Still I'm sure a lot of members agree with the idea I express, just listen them if you don't want to listen me (as usual).

Please don't say I imply bthings I never said.

Iván

Sorry?

I don't have problem to apologize when by mistake  i imply things other persons never said, and without interrogation mark.

"Sorry" followed by an question mark is not asking for an apology or making some sheepish apology of my own, it is a colloquialism meaning "Pardon?", a figure of speach marking incredulity to your statement: "Please don't say I imply bthings I never said"

Quote We are adding Classic Rock from the 70's, adult contemporary musicians, Indie, alternative, etc, because a few love to see their favorite band here, as if Prog was an award or a certificate of quality.

Who does the evaluation and the addition of the bands here - the Team or the person who suggested the band? If you accuse a band being added here because it is someone's favourite band then the implication is the band was added for that reason and not because the eval team believe the band is Prog. Now if that is not what you meant to say then that's fine, we will move on having had that misunderstanding cleared up.

They are humans, they make mistakes, I remember having made a lot, for example, Micky Raff and I believed in a recommendation to send DISCIPLINE to Neo Prog, but at the end thanks to a second revision, we decided to stay with them.

Sometimes when a member insists and insists in a band I have doubted, almost felt tempted to accept the band, as a fact at least two times we accepted them and later in agreement with another team, had to move them

This is a lot of pressure, and we are humans and able to make mistakes.

A proof that the teams are working well, is that this cases are few and often cause a lot of debate, but we don't see this cases daily.
If this is what you really meant then there is nothing of that that can be inferred from the statement you made: "We are adding Classic Rock from the 70's, adult contemporary musicians, Indie, alternative, etc, because a few love to see their favorite band here".

However I do not agree with your expanded explanation either. Of course people make mistakes - that's why we have a minimum team size and majority voting and why we stamp down on people putting pressure on teams to get results (even from within the team itself). This minimises the possibility of mistakes but cannot completely irradicate them, however what it does mean is that the kinds of "mistakes" you are referring to here are extremely rare and certainly not on the scale you are implying here - ie ones frequent enough to be noticed. To date I am not aware of any band that was added here solely because they were someone's favourite band - every band added was evaluated and added by due process. You may not agree with some of those additions, but they were not added because a team was put under presure from anyone else.

However....

Still I'm sure a lot of members agree with the idea I express, just listen them if you don't want to listen me (as usual).
don't make this into a personal attack on me. Stern Smile

Not a personal attack Dean, I'm not sating your arguments are absurd, I only say I disagree, but honestly I get the impression that you are always there to contradict almost whatever I say in whatever thread...That's not an attack, it's an honest impression.

Iván

I do not contradict anything you say - I simply disagree with practically everything you say because I just don't agree with everything you say. You have accused me of not wanting to listen to you - why is that? Is it because I don't agree with you therefore could not possibily have listened to you? That's a bizzarre outlook and I don't find your arguments that compelling or convincing. I always doubt that anyone ever agrees with me and it comes as a pleasant surprise when anyone does - I cannot have the assumption that everyone has (or should have) the same opinion as me, and with that, I cannot lay claim to knowing that a lot of members agree with me - though the law of probaability would suggest that possibly some do.

See the thing is, you can have this impression of me without making it personal. It's your choice, you know where the report button is.

A message to everybody:  can we go back to the thread subject? To Plant or not to Plant?
second message: a debate of this kind has already been seen several times, but it would be probably better moving it in a more appropriate thread.
third message: I'm sorry to see so harsh discussions between two trustful members. This is the kind of things that can really send people away. When it goes too "personal", as it now seems to be, why don't you use PMs instead? 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 14:11
Dean, I had a long reply, but it's a waste of time.

I Know what I said and it's not what you imply.

But leave it there.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 06 2011 at 14:12

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 13:51

Edited by Snow Dog - November 06 2011 at 13:54
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 13:47

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 13:41
We should not forget, and I think that Dean made this point very well, that in the late 1960's & 1970's prog was mainstream. 

There are many people who don't think that Genesis post Hackett should be on the site because they were, whisper it carefully, commercial., an opinion I totally disagree with.

On the original poll question of Plant, I gave my honest opinion that he was prog related, at best. That would be based upon albums such as Pictures At Eleven, and the follow up, whose name escapes me. His later stuff, both solo and with collaborators such as Alison Krauss (a great album, BTW) would not, IMHO, fit into the prog site at all. I've said it before, but will repeat myself - this is the problem with having an artist, rather than albums included on the site. Of course, then we would all row until kingdom come about the albums, but there is the nature of such thingsLOL.

I can, therefore, see why Plant is on here for albums such as the debut. Having Raising Sand & Band Of Joy is simply ludicrous - they are not even prog related, let alone crossover prog.

I would also make the entirely reasonable point that having such albums on this site makes it almost unbelievable that Phil Collins is not here as a solo artist - there is a lot of at least prog related stuff on Face Value, for instance.

This is not a personal dig at anyone - indeed, both Ivan & Dean make very good points in their respective defences of their positions. I do, though, really think that we need to start to think very carefully about who and what we include on the site. As Dean said, you would not put all of, for instance, Vertigo's stable on the site just because they are on the same record label as bands who are here, or because the drummer of a certain band farted on a prog album once. This same argument, IMO, applies to the discussion re Judas Priest. When I was a long haired teenage yobbo, I loved them a great deal. They even made a concept album - it doesn't make them a prog band, though, and I suspect that if you asked Halford or the rest whether they considered themselves even prog related, they would laugh in your face.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 13:21

4.- I don't accuse the teams of adding their favorite bands, I said many people suggest their favorite bands (We've seen a lot of that) and many times they are added by MISTAKE.

Iván

Sorry?

I don't have problem to apologize when by mistake  i imply things other persons never said, and without interrogation mark.

"Sorry" followed by an question mark is not asking for an apology or making some sheepish apology of my own, it is a colloquialism meaning "Pardon?", a figure of speach marking incredulity to your statement: "Please don't say I imply bthings I never said"

Quote We are adding Classic Rock from the 70's, adult contemporary musicians, Indie, alternative, etc, because a few love to see their favorite band here, as if Prog was an award or a certificate of quality.

Who does the evaluation and the addition of the bands here - the Team or the person who suggested the band? If you accuse a band being added here because it is someone's favourite band then the implication is the band was added for that reason and not because the eval team believe the band is Prog. Now if that is not what you meant to say then that's fine, we will move on having had that misunderstanding cleared up.

They are humans, they make mistakes, I remember having made a lot, for example, Micky Raff and I believed in a recommendation to send DISCIPLINE to Neo Prog, but at the end thanks to a second revision, we decided to stay with them.

Sometimes when a member insists and insists in a band I have doubted, almost felt tempted to accept the band, as a fact at least two times we accepted them and later in agreement with another team, had to move them

A proof that the teams are working well, is that this cases are few and often cause a lot of debate, but we don't see this cases daily.
If this is what you really meant then there is nothing of that that can be inferred from the statement you made: "We are adding Classic Rock from the 70's, adult contemporary musicians, Indie, alternative, etc, because a few love to see their favorite band here".

However I do not agree with your expanded explanation either. Of course people make mistakes - that's why we have a minimum team size and majority voting and why we stamp down on people putting pressure on teams to get results (even from within the team itself). This minimises the possibility of mistakes but cannot completely irradicate them, however what it does mean is that the kinds of "mistakes" you are referring to here are extremely rare and certainly not on the scale you are implying here - ie ones frequent enough to be noticed. To date I am not aware of any band that was added here solely because they were someone's favourite band - every band added was evaluated and added by due process. You may not agree with some of those additions, but they were not added because a team was put under presure from anyone else.

However....

Not a personal attack Dean, I'm not sating your arguments are absurd, I only say I disagree, but honestly I get the impression that you are always there to contradict almost whatever I say in whatever thread...That's not an attack, it's an honest impression.

Iván

I do not contradict anything you say - I simply disagree with practically everything you say because I just don't agree with everything you say. You have accused me of not wanting to listen to you - why is that? Is it because I don't agree with you therefore could not possibily have listened to you? That's a bizzarre outlook and I don't find your arguments that compelling or convincing. I always doubt that anyone ever agrees with me and it comes as a pleasant surprise when anyone does - I cannot have the assumption that everyone has (or should have) the same opinion as me, and with that, I cannot lay claim to knowing that a lot of members agree with me - though the law of probaability would suggest that possibly some do.

See the thing is, you can have this impression of me without making it personal. It's your choice, you know where the report button is.

Edited by Dean - November 06 2011 at 13:24
What?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:46
There's a good debate going on here folks. Let's not spoil it with personality clashes and finger pointing from those who know better.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:35

Iván

Sorry?

However....

Not a personal attack Dean, I'm not saying your arguments are absurd, I only say I disagree, but honestly I get the impression that you are always there to contradict almost whatever I say in whatever thread...That's not an attack, it's an honest impression.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 06 2011 at 12:44

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:08

Iván

Sorry?

However....

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 10:33
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I thought, wow 6 pages about Plant, how on earth!?

But it looks like it's been at least a two pages argument between "prog purism" against "prog as a living musical form that keeps evolving and adapting to its surroundings".

purism is a dead end street, if PA was about that I wouldn't be here.

Purism doesn't mean we believe Prog has to remain ecstatic in the 70's, but being open mnded doesn't mean adding any artist with that excuse.

I don't believe in such thing as Prog Pop, but I learned to accept it, if a POP artist has Prog elements, can fit in Crossover or Prog Related, but IMO (Seems I have to say this frequently) many artist that have some incredibly distant connection or none with Prog are being added.

This IMO is making us loose credibility and making us loose more potential members than the ones who come..A fan of Bjork or Sally French, will hardly join PA to talk about real Prog bands.

Just to finish, Prog has to evolve, we have a lot of genres that prove that like Avant, Rio etc, even Symphonic the conception of Symphonic has evolved from the 70's, but this doesn't justify Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga being added under the excuse of Prog having to evolve (Hyperbole just in case).

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 06 2011 at 10:36

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 10:04

But focus in the central points

1. Adding non Prog bands, is IMO (and I'm sure of the vast majority of active and voting  members) making us loose credibility and killing the genre, if Prog survived until now, is because it kept a safe distance from mainstream.
  2. We are adding Classic Rock from the 70's, adult contemporary musicians, Indie, alternative, etc, because a few love to see their favorite band here, as if Prog was an award or a certificate of quality.
  3. Adding non Prog bands will make Prog Archives loose members instead of gaining more members.
::snip:: my only point, is that each day we are closer to Allmusic than to Prog Archives.
This is opinion (née feeling) presented as fact.

The assumption that there ever was a safe distance between Prog and Mainstream is a flawed construct and only really applicable in the wilderness years from the mid 80s through to the early 00s. Throughout the 70s Prog and non-Prog sat comfortably side by side, were on the same label rosta and frequently shared the same bill on tours and festivals. Any demarcation between them is a later invention.

It is also extremely insulting to those team members who evaluated and added those artists that you deem to be non-Prog - you cannot say that you "respect the decision of other teams." and then accuse them of adding their favourite bands.

1.- Everything I say is my opinion, I must have said IMO at least 3 or more times in this thread, but I can't go placing that phrase in each post WE ALWAYS EXPRESS OUR OPINIONS. 
2.- The fact that some labels released Prog and mainstream means NOTHING, most of them like Virgin (As Richard Branson said), had to release popular music to finance the more experimental and less popular bands.
3.- I respect the decisions of the teams, but I don't have to agree with them, I believe they made mistakes, as I'm sure many believe we made mistakes in Symphonic.....Making a tour with Prog and mainstream bands is a mistake many do very often, they believe the popularity of one band will be shared with the other (Of course IMO).

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 06 2011 at 10:17

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 09:04

Edited by Snow Dog - November 06 2011 at 09:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>