Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Does The Term "Technical" Mean to You?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 01:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

For example, Yes' "Relayer" was considered as a "technical rock" album back then. Is that a pejorative term? Well, for someone who doesn't like it, probably yes. Not for me.

I've never heard of "technical rock". Now you're making up stuff. LOL
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean that the term wasn't in use. The term isn't even completely extinct because we have "technical metal" now.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 01:55

For example, Yes' "Relayer" was considered as a "technical rock" album back then. Is that a pejorative term? Well, for someone who doesn't like it, probably yes. Not for me.

Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean that the term wasn't in use. The term isn't even completely extinct because we have "technical metal" now.

excuse my apparent arrogance, but I haven't heard it because I've never seen it used, not in magazines I read in the past, not on the internet. 
As for technical metal, it's just technical death metal. For any metal that is technical, people just call it progressive metal. Something like Zero Hour. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:03

excuse my apparent arrogance, but I haven't heard it because I've never seen it used, not in magazines I read in the past, not on the internet. 
As for technical metal, it's just technical death metal. For any metal that is technical, people just call it progressive metal. Something like Zero Hour. 

Cynic Focus is the closest thing still, to me, to technical metal. There are death growls and vocals, but it's built prominently on the robot vocoder vocals. Crazy riffing almost constantly.

Great discussion in this thread, keep it going! Clap

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:11

You haven't read enough.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:13

You haven't read enough.

thank you for the insult, it was predictable... 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:18

You haven't read enough.

It's not an insult, I'm afraid it's just a fact. Not even on the Internet you say? Technical rock music

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:31

You haven't read enough.

It's not an insult, I'm afraid it's just a fact. Not even on the Internet you say? Technical rock music

Yeah, I don't use last.fm exactly because they got their own names for genres and subgenres.

They call Spastik Ink technical rock. I giggled... 

Paul Gilbert is technical rock? Confused I've seen this kind of music called "instrumental" or "shred". But never like that. 

So every time a musician plays competently, with some skill, it becomes technical rock, right? 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:35

You haven't read enough.

I'm assuming math rock and technical rock are interchangeable terms?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:07

You haven't read enough.

Yeah, I don't use last.fm exactly because they got their own names for genres and subgenres.
Oh really? Well, this would be regarding a proof that you haven't read enough before the Internet either:

"Wakeman brought a whole cannonry of keyboard tricks - what caused new comparisons to Keith Emerson - and took Yes even deeper into the realm of what became known as "flash" or technical rock." - from an article about Yes in The Illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock, 1976.

"Leading creators of technical rock" - from NME journalist Nick Logan's Emerson Lake & Palmer article, the same book.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:10

"Wakeman brought a whole cannonry of keyboard tricks - what caused new comparisons to Keith Emerson - and took Yes even deeper into the realm of what became known as "flash" or technical rock." - from an article about Yes in The Illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock, 1976.

"Leading creators of technical rock" - from NME journalist Nick Logan's Emerson Lake & Palmer article, the same book.
I've got that book, it's interesting that they don't use the term progressive rock for any of Yes, Genesis, ELP or similar bands. I'm pretty sure nobody referred to Yes as playing "technical rock" at the time however.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've got that book, it's interesting that they don't use the term progressive rock for any of Yes, Genesis, ELP or similar bands.
They have used the term “progressive rock” in the Family article.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:27

You haven't read enough.

Oh really? Well, this would be regarding a proof that you haven't read enough before the Internet either:

do you have these quotes prepared? LOL

It's strange why the famous NME were not using a term like "progressive", but "flash" and "technical". "Flash" sounds pejorative, but hey, wasn't this the magazine that constantly mocked progressive rock artists? 

If the word "technical" is used just as an adjective that describes the music, then, ok, fine, it can be a little helpful, but if "technical rock" is a music genre, then it's confusing because it can be a lot of things, it's too wide, it does not help in any way. 

Rush, Saga, Toto, Steely Dan, Joe Satriani,  were all technical, all sounded different. So "technical rock" as music genre does not work, makes little sense to me. 

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:15
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

You haven't read enough.

I'm assuming math rock and technical rock are interchangeable terms?
It may be, as there are some math-rock bands that are tagged as "technical rock" as well. For example, FeatherWolf:

"Featherdreamzzz" (2017)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:20
I've never heard of Technical Rock, but I have heard of a "Technical" military pick-up truck with a machine gun mounted in the back. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 24 2020 at 05:22
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:23
ErmmConfused Omg.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:42
I could assume that that is Paul The Stealth Jihadist in the back of that truck, but the one with the pot with vegetables on the head would be more stealthy.

By the way, I have heard of technical rock climbing, but more often rock climbing techniques.

As for technical music, I see it as music that takes a high level of technique/skill to create, and commonly those skills would have been developed with formal studies and much discipline. It can imply "soulless"/ more intellectual than emotional/ more formal than felt and as inorganic. The technicality will be found both in the musicianship and in the compositional skills. Much academic music could be called technical music. It can mean any music that takes a high level of skill to play and compose.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 06:41
I've heard of Tech Metal (or Technical Death Metal), but without having listened to it,  I have a strong feeling Tech Metal wouldn't appeal to me at all. Symphonic Metal appeals more to my eclectic tastes, and I like some Progressive Metal too on occasion, especially Ayreon and Dream Theater. Smile

On the subject of the Yes: Relayer album, it no doubt displays a high level of technical ability, but I've never heard it referred to as "Technical Rock" before. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 24 2020 at 06:53
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 07:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've heard of Tech Metal (or Technical Death Metal), but without having listened to it,  I have a strong feeling Tech Metal wouldn't appeal to me at all. Symphonic Metal appeals more to my eclectic tastes, and I like some Progressive Metal too on occasion, especially Ayreon and Dream Theater. Smile

On the subject of the Yes: Relayer album, it no doubt displays a high level of technical ability, but I've never heard it referred to as "Technical Rock" before. Smile

The correct term is indeed technical death metal.  I have never heard 'just' technical metal.  Maybe magazines like NME use such non-standard terms but I was a contributor to metal archives for quite a while and interacted a lot with the mods there and I don't remember hearing just technical metal. Nor did I ever hear that term from my metalhead friends. I mean, a metal sub genre name by default has to be thrash metal/power metal/death metal/black metal and then you add prefixes like technical/progressive/brutal.  

I have also never heard the term technical 'rock' but svetty is free to have his NME references and gloat over it.  Can't be bothered to argue with a spam generator.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 07:59
This thread has technically gone off the deep end. When Svetonio starts quoting stuff from an obscure website and a quote or two from a review, trying to make "technical rock" an actual genre, it is time to close up shop. When you Google "technical rock" you get one direct reference (@last.fm). That's it. That's all you get. 

Technical rock does not have a Wiki page. Technical rock does not have any other direct references. Technical rock does not exist as a genre. To prove my point, type in "tech metal"...I get a Wiki page and over 1.8 million results.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for technical music, I see it as music that takes a high level of technique/skill to create, and commonly those skills would have been developed with formal studies and much discipline. It can imply "soulless"/ more intellectual than emotional/ more formal than felt and as inorganic. The technicality will be found both in the musicianship and in the compositional skills. Much academic music could be called technical music. It can mean any music that takes a high level of skill to play and compose.

This.
I think we may be confusing something that is technical to play (for me that's anything that doesn't use G, C and D chords) with a supposed genre of rock/metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>