Poll Question: Choose wisely!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [16.67%]
10 [83.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TFB vs. TTB
    Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:18
The ultimate poll for pissing off prog afficionados. No middle way, choose one of the two!
Steven Wilson - The Future Bites.pngTo The Bone album cover.jpg

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - January 29 2021 at 11:19
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:25
the new Wilson album already in a poll LOL Rather early, isn't it?

I haven't listened to it yet, I don't have the mood but once i do, I'll be able to express an opinion. Big smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:52
I know a lot of TFB has already been released but not really fair to vote until it's all officially out.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:58
Too soon
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 12:32
Coincidentally I am listening to Future Bites right now...about half way through...not my cuppa so  far.
Very poppy and artsy sounding but not in a PT or early Wilson manner....some are almost in the realm of dance music almost disco like. 
Like all Wilson things it's well produced and played but the songs don't work for me.
Unless I get a free copy it won't be in my collection anytime soon.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 29 2021 at 12:34
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 13:31
Too Soon Too Vote
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 13:57
A bit too early for sure, maybe I will 'resurge' this poll in a few weeks.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 01:40
The Future Bites dropped through my letterbox yesterday so it's definitely out. Not listened yet though. 
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 03:36
Unfortunately, neither.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 04:17
None. I respect Steven Wilson a lot, but his two last albums have not appeal to my taste, to say the least. 
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 15:44
TTB is excellent, TFB is not bad but not "catching"

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 06:59
Wow! Just, wow! How do people not love this album? Ok,I get we all like different things. But still on only my first listen, and this is easily the best solo SW album yet! The first where, apart from one song, he’s dropped the formula, which is something I never expected to hear.

This is an absolutely fantastic album, and all the things I read were missing from it (guitar and prog) are most definitely there. The only song I could do without it 12 Things, which is a nice enough song - but it’s typical SW fare on an album that’s not otherwise, and it feels terribly out of place because of that.

It’s like a wonderful meshing of Duran Duran and Bowie, who both knew how to make progressive pop. The guitar slashes remind me of Bowie guitarists such as Belew and Gabrels.

It bewilders me that people can adore Ulver when they make this sort of music, and turn on SW when he does the same.

I’m definitely glad I made a point of not listening to anything from this album, until it was released, because it means it is all new for me.

This isn’t just going to be my favourite SW solo album, but one of my favourite of anything he’s been involved in.

Just, wow!

Ok, you can go back to hating him now. 😜

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 07:01
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Wow! Just, wow! How do people not love this album? Ok,I get we all like different things. But still on only my first listen, and this is easily the best solo SW album yet! The first where, apart from one song, he’s dropped the formula, which is something I never expected to hear.

This is an absolutely fantastic album, and all the things I read were missing from it (guitar and prog) are most definitely there. The only song I could do without it 12 Things, which is a nice enough song - but it’s typical SW fare on an album that’s not otherwise, and it feels terribly out of place because of that.

It’s like a wonderful meshing of Duran Duran and Bowie, who both knew how to make progressive pop. The guitar slashes remind me of Bowie guitarists such as Belew and Gabrels.

It bewilders me that people can adore Ulver when they make this sort of music, and turn on SW when he does the same.

I’m definitely glad I made a point of not listening to anything from this album, until it was released, because it means it is all new for me.

This isn’t just going to be my favourite SW solo album, but one of my favourite of anything he’s been involved in.

Just, wow!

Good to see some positivity about this album. I definitely do not dislike it, but I feel that it is much less exciting than everything else that he released as a solo artist before that. Some really good songs for sure, and some pretty boring, in all honesty. I still have to give it a few more goes before I finally decide how I feel about TFB.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 07:02
I listened to it yesterday, not bad a t all, it will need a couple of more listens to sink in. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 07:06
I honestly wasn’t even expecting to like the album - let alone love it as much as I seem to. I’ve never been a big SW fanboy. But TFB really blew me away. I do get why it won’t be what a huge proportion of his fans want to hear, but I love this direction he has taken. Way more exciting/less boring than a lot of his standard fare, for me.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 08:50

I honestly wasn’t even expecting to like the album - let alone love it as much as I seem to. I’ve never been a big SW fanboy. But TFB really blew me away. I do get why it won’t be what a huge proportion of his fans want to hear, but I love this direction he has taken. Way more exciting/less boring than a lot of his standard fare, for me.

Undoubtedly he is a true progressive music artist, unlike some other men in the genre that seem to be in a state of musical stagnation. Thumbs Up
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 18:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

the new Wilson album already in a poll LOL Rather early, isn't it?

I haven't listened to it yet, I don't have the mood but once i do, I'll be able to express an opinion. Big smile
Yeah, give me a chance to listen to it first. My local record store didn't have it yesterday.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 19:09
While I do like it, the roll out and concept of TFB has been extremely offputting to me. On his instagram his most recent post is a billboard advertising his new album calling it: "The OK Computer of the Amazon Age." I'm sorry, but is he actively trying to get people to hate this album before it even hearing it? Cause that's how you do it.

Also the fact that this is an anti-consumerism album.... that was delayed nearly an entire year so he could press copies of the deluxe boxset and a sh*t ton of vinyl variants. Even the lyrics criticize this very thing yet he's still pushing his overpriced boxsets, the boxset even has a CD that's an hour of silence. I know it's meant to be tongue in cheek, but it comes off as extremely pretentious and smug, a blatantly poor attempt at humor.

Sadly, I still like the music more than To The Bone 

Edited by dougmcauliffe - January 31 2021 at 19:09
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:45
To the Bone by nine miles. The Future Bites is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:51

Just, wow!

Ulver does synthpop a lot better than Steven Wilson. It's not about style, it's how it's executed. And the execution was terrible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>