Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Psychedelicatessen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 02:03
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I will be honest, I only know the Elvish greeting.  My son, however, did study the Elvish languages (and I have another friend who is fluent, as well as in several other human languages).  Nonetheless, impressive if you can "speak," Elvish.  :)

Enya recorded some of her songs in the language of the elves, which she calls the Loxian language. Smile
Actually, Enya's Loxian songs are not in Elvish. Loxian is a language developed by Roma Ryan, Enya's lyricist.

Enya sang two songs in Tolkien's Elvish languages for the The Fellowship of the Ring, "Aniron" which is sang entirely in Sindarin, and "May It Be", which has Quenyan (or High Elvish) phrases as part of the lyrics.

Edited by The Dark Elf - November 17 2019 at 02:03
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 02:22
^^ Thanks for posting. I Love Enya. Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 02:27
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Jefferson Airplane - Lather

It remains a mystery why Grace Slick lathered herself in black make-up to perform "Lather" Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 17 2019 at 02:28
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 07:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I will be honest, I only know the Elvish greeting.  My son, however, did study the Elvish languages (and I have another friend who is fluent, as well as in several other human languages).  Nonetheless, impressive if you can "speak," Elvish.  :)

Enya recorded some of her songs in the language of the elves, which she calls the Loxian language. Smile
Actually, Enya's Loxian songs are not in Elvish. Loxian is a language developed by Roma Ryan, Enya's lyricist.

Enya sang two songs in Tolkien's Elvish languages for the The Fellowship of the Ring, "Aniron" which is sang entirely in Sindarin, and "May It Be", which has Quenyan (or High Elvish) phrases as part of the lyrics.

I love Enya and also, her sister, Maire (Moya) Brennan, recorded some lovely music, I particularly love her "Misty Eyed Adventures," record.  Those pieces used in The Fellowship are just achingly gorgeous.  Here is the track I heard in a clothing shop in Boulder that made me ask who that was, so I could get the recording of Maire Brennan's:  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 07:46

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Jefferson Airplane - Lather

It remains a mystery why Grace Slick lathered herself in black make-up to perform "Lather" Smile
  I think this was for a TV show, they may have asked her to do that, or she may have wanted to eschew tv makeup, who knows?  Anyway, another song that gives me chills, in a good way.  :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 07:58
One of my favourite Jefferson Airplane videos is this performance of "White Rabbit"  from the Smothers Brothers TV show.....

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 08:23
Some of my favorite farthest trips psych of the 60s

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 08:55
^^ WOW! Over two hours long! That's a LONG psychedelic freak out. Smile
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 09:12
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 09:16
On the one hand, there is "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by The United States Of America:

and on the other hand, there is the cover version of "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Snakefinger, which I prefer:

In this version, the psychedelia has been replaced with something more sinister.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 09:20
^^ The United States of America are a great band and a great country too! Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 14:17
QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE - Full Concert at Winterland in San Francisco (1975) 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 17:01
The spoken word was also an aspect of psychedelia that disappeared from rock by the time the 70s came along. Here are 3 great ones...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 16:56
ARTHUR LEE & LOVE - Live at Glastonbury (2003)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 17:44
That was a wonderful show (I was not in attendance, but have seen the whole thing), so glad they caught it for us to enjoy forever.  And more again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:03

That was a wonderful show (I was not in attendance, but have seen the whole thing), so glad they caught it for us to enjoy forever.  And more again.

I'm looking forward to watching Arthur Lee & Love performing at Glastonbury again. Sadly, Arthur Lee died three years later in 2006 at the age of 61.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:18
Yes, he died in Memphis, not far from where I was living in Nashville at the time.  Thinking of the Prog in Unexpected Places (I think that's the name of the thread), I was working at the Nashville Whole Foods Market and a fairly young person came through my line with a tattoo of the Love logo on his arm.  I asked him why he chose that tattoo.  He said his older brother had died and that was his favourite band, he commemorated his brother with the tattoo.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:21
Let's not forget acoustic psych....

Edited by The Dark Elf - November 18 2019 at 19:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:31

Yes, he died in Memphis, not far from where I was living in Nashville at the time.  Thinking of the Prog in Unexpected Places (I think that's the name of the thread), I was working at the Nashville Whole Foods Market and a fairly young person came through my line with a tattoo of the Love logo on his arm.  I asked him why he chose that tattoo.  He said his older brother had died and that was his favourite band, he commemorated his brother with the tattoo.  

I rediscovered Psychedelic Rock after I went online in 2010. I was too young to know much about it in the Summer of Love year of 1967, as I was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. Before 2010, the only two Psychedelic Rock bands I was aware of were The Doors & Jefferson Airplane. Now though, I have album covers by well over 400 Psychedelic Rock bands in my database, with all sorts of weird and wonderful names, like The Five Day Week Straw People, for instance, or the equally bizarre-sounding Orange Alabaster Mushroom, to name just two. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Let's not forget acoustic psych....

My favourite Tim Buckley LP!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>