Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Le prog québecois

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
14 [42.42%]
10 [30.30%]
5 [15.15%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.09%]
1 [3.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

J'écoute les débuts de Conventum en ce moment. Je l'aime! Tres unique.

Hi, 

Magnifique! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:52
Morse Code !
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:53
Love reading your dialogue Bertolini and SPup (i.e. Bertrand and Mike)!

I agree about the amazingly outstanding quality of sound, composition, and musicianship coming from all of these bands.

Sorry to have missed Etcetera! I've actually never hear of them much less heard their music, so I have much to look forward to!

P.S. I'm sorry Octobre is getting no love. I love their stuff! And they were the first to arrive on the prog wagon (as far as I can discover).

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 19 2023 at 14:56
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:26
^ I think one thing is for sure. Quebec has been outstanding in delivering high quality music to the world whether it be exceptional prog bands like Maneige, Sloche or Harmonium in the 70s or Voivoid in the 80s or Gorguts and Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the 90s and beyond. What a special place on the planet that continues to surprise! We love you Quebec!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:00
From the list Harmonium over Sloche and Opus 5. Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
Other favs:
Pangee
Dionne-Bregent
Agharta
The Box
Indiscipline
Karcius
Excubus
Spaced Out
l'Orchestra Sympathique
And Miriodor might be at the top of all of these.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - January 19 2023 at 16:01
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 02:36
Yup, the two Dionne-Brégent albums are superbClap

I would also point to Madore's Komuso à 6 Cordes as stupendousShockedStarStarStarStar

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
This isn't very hard to achieve: 
Outside Ontario (often under-estimated in the 69/74 era, before the rise of Rush/Triumph/FM and Webster), most other provinces don't have prog bands (at least when it come to 70/80's):
- BC had The Collectors and its continuity in early Chilliwack and the amazing one-shot of Ptarmigan, but that's it.
- The Prairies provinces had nothing (if you except for slightly prog moments in Guess Who and BTO)
- The Maritimes provinces had April Wine, which was not prog (outside their Schizoid cover)

Basically, Quebec & Ontario concentrated 98% of Canadian prog in the 60/70/80's. 

Albeit, I'm much less aware of the origins of modern (post-90's) Canadian prog bands, though 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:05
Conventum: another discovery thanks to the famous ReR sampler!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 04:34
Maneige for me, from the list I like all, maybe minus Harmonium, never get what is so masterpiece the albums they released, but anyway Maneige are top of their game for me and one of the better  prog bands of the ț70s not only from Canada but in general.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:34
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Maneige for me, from the list I like all, maybe minus Harmonium, never get what is so masterpiece the albums they released, but anyway Maneige are top of their game for me and one of the better  prog bands of the ț70s not only from Canada but in general.

RE Harmonium.

I hadn't listened to H for a while until I was prepping for my radio show that spawned this poll (to air this Sunday night), but as I did I was sucked in! Hearing all three of their albums reminded me once again of just how powerful and exceptional Serge and his compatriots were in their song crafting and sound texturization. ALL of the band members have/had this AMAZING sense for beautiful melody! 

Is it possible, Bogdan, that your own heritage and environmental exposure to more Eastern European melodic sensibilities hard-wired you against the "beauty" that we "Westerners" value?

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 20 2023 at 06:36
Drew Fisher
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:46
Few ! I was pretty sure it was only a matter of translation. My own use of english may be, time to time, unfaithfull to my intentions or ways of thinking... Glad you tried Conventum. Pretty sure this can come as a revelation to many, as this is the most "modern" of the classic quebecois bands. Pleased to have met you (virtually); i actually read you quite often and had frequently followed your paths. Cdlt
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:51
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Love reading your dialogue Bertolini and SPup (i.e. Bertrand and Mike)!

I agree about the amazingly outstanding quality of sound, composition, and musicianship coming from all of these bands.

Sorry to have missed Etcetera! I've actually never hear of them much less heard their music, so I have much to look forward to!

P.S. I'm sorry Octobre is getting no love. I love their stuff! And they were the first to arrive on the prog wagon (as far as I can discover).

This comes out as the most satisfying exchange on a long time here; your words are very kind and understanding. Agree with Octobre to a certain point. Underrated, but also the most difficult to find nowadays, this explaining that. EtCetera must be heard if anyone has penchant to Gentle Giant. Cdlt
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:53

From the list Harmonium over Sloche and Opus 5. Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
Other favs:
Pangee
Dionne-Bregent
Agharta
The Box
Indiscipline
Karcius
Excubus
Spaced Out
l'Orchestra Sympathique
And Miriodor might be at the top of all of these.
Read you quite often (who doesn't?) As being each side of the "two solitudes", i truly respect that you always tried to "cross that imaginary border". Wish you good continuation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 07:40
BTW, I've always considered CANO to be related to Quebec (even if the "NO" part of their name refers to Nouvel Ontario), and their multi-artistic disciplines structure resembled somewhat that of Conventum. L' Infonie was also multi-faceted and started releasing in 69. 

mmmmhhh!!!!.... As far as I can see Octobre is facing the very best Québecois. I'm not that big on Octobre myself, partly because it is too traditional song-based and fits somewhere between mid-period Offenbach & mid period Dionysos, all three with gruffy and rough vocals and maybe too much "Joual"-oriented for my tastes. 

As far as Octobre's debut (from 73) being the first, I would say that it's hardly the case, since  Morse Code (Transmission) & Dionysos' debut dates from 71, and Contraction existed as Frank Dervieux' band in 71 and recorded their first Contraction album in 72. Psych group Souls Of Inspiration sole album dates from 70

Although not releasing albums as such, the Pre-Maneige Lasting Weep existed already in 69. The power trio Sex, Vos Voisins, Guillotine  (Jazz/brass rock) and the folk-rock band Nouvelle Frontière also all released their first in 71. Mahogany Rush's debut Maxoom dates from 72.

BTW, Joual being the unabashed and unapologizing popular Quebec-french language with a very strong accent.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 08:25
My favs are Et Cetera and Pollen with Maneige behind. Definetely I have to listen to Sloche.
Nice poll!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 11:36
Quote BTW, Joual being the unabashed and unapologizing popular Quebec-french language with a very strong accent.
Since I don't speak French, I can't tell the accents apart. xD Maybe that's why I like Octobre.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 15:26
I went with Sloche. I especially appreciate J'un oeil.

I did a similar Quebec poll quite a few years ago, and a member turned me onto Dionne-Brégent, which did become my favourite classic Québécois band. Miriodor, by the way, was the first "modern prog" band that I got into. Harmonium was the first of these that I heard, in fact I remember hearing music by Harmonium on the radio as a child (maybe on the French language CBC radio). Quebec does rule Canada when it come to music (and the arts generally) generally I feel. I do like the folk of the Maritimes, but Quebec has this rich jazz and folk influence. With English Canada I often associate it with kinds of hard rock, pop rock and AOR that isn't really my bag, but there are some excellent artists (especially folk-oriented) across Canada, and really good Indie rock ones....
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 16:20
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

BTW, I've always considered CANO to be related to Quebec (even if the "NO" part of their name refers to Nouvel Ontario), and their multi-artistic disciplines structure resembled somewhat that of Conventum. L' Infonie was also multi-faceted and started releasing in 69. 

mmmmhhh!!!!.... As far as I can see Octobre is facing the very best Québecois. I'm not that big on Octobre myself, partly because it is too traditional song-based and fits somewhere between mid-period Offenbach & mid period Dionysos, all three with gruffy and rough vocals and maybe too much "Joual"-oriented for my tastes. 

As far as Octobre's debut (from 73) being the first, I would say that it's hardly the case, since  Morse Code (Transmission) & Dionysos' debut dates from 71, and Contraction existed as Frank Dervieux' band in 71 and recorded their first Contraction album in 72. Psych group Souls Of Inspiration sole album dates from 70

Although not releasing albums as such, the Pre-Maneige Lasting Weep existed already in 69. The power trio Sex, Vos Voisins, Guillotine  (Jazz/brass rock) and the folk-rock band Nouvelle Frontière also all released their first in 71. Mahogany Rush's debut Maxoom dates from 72.

BTW, Joual being the unabashed and unapologizing popular Quebec-french language with a very strong accent.

Obviously, Hugues, you know far more about Le scène québecois than I pretend to. My assertion about Octobre's "early" appearance refers mostly to their credit as a highly rated progressive rock band album's release. I see none other in the PA database when one filters "Canada" over the "greatest prog albums of all-time" list.

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 20 2023 at 16:25
Drew Fisher
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 17:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup, the two Dionne-Brégent albums are superbClap

I would also point to Madore's Komuso à 6 Cordes as stupendousShockedStarStarStarStar

Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
This isn't very hard to achieve: 
Outside Ontario (often under-estimated in the 69/74 era, before the rise of Rush/Triumph/FM and Webster), most other provinces don't have prog bands (at least when it come to 70/80's):
- BC had The Collectors and its continuity in early Chilliwack and the amazing one-shot of Ptarmigan, but that's it.
- The Prairies provinces had nothing (if you except for slightly prog moments in Guess Who and BTO)
- The Maritimes provinces had April Wine, which was not prog (outside their Schizoid cover)

Basically, Quebec & Ontario concentrated 98% of Canadian prog in the 60/70/80's. 

Albeit, I'm much less aware of the origins of modern (post-90's) Canadian prog bands, though 

Glad you chimed in Hugues I don't think anyone knows more than you about the Quebec scene. You mentioned not knowing as much about the modern ones in the rest of Canada but one that deserves a mention is Mahogany Frog not to be confused with Quebec's Mahogany Rush. And they reside in Manitoba which is shocking almost. But man what a talented band.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 02:34

Obviously, Hugues, you know far more about Le scène québecois than I pretend to. My assertion about Octobre's "early" appearance refers mostly to their credit as a highly rated progressive rock band album's release. I see none other in the PA database when one filters "Canada" over the "greatest prog albums of all-time" list.

Hey, I was there at the right time and the right place (Outremont in 72) Embarrassed, but "unfortunately" too young (9/10 y.o.) to actually really take part in itCry.

In a sense, you are right in that Octobre was the first high-profile "prog" band that enjoyed wide comercial success (though that barely bled out of the province), but they got soon dwarfed by Harmonium & Beau Dommage tsunamis.
By the time of the Harmonium tsunami (summer 74), we'd just moved to Toronto (then Canada's second city after Montreal and a very provincial town).  Unfortunately many of these Québécois bands never toured English Canada (maybe a bit North Ontario and New Brunswick), though I've seen some that came and played the French high-schools in Ontario.

Even English-singing Mahogany Rush rarely played English Canada, as they were busy down in Texas and neighbour states.
 AAMOF, in my hazy daze of a memory, the only Montreal-based band that toured nation-wide was the Halifax (Nova Scotia) origined group (relocated to Montreal) called April Wine. Of course, Montrealer Leonard Cohen enjoyed world wide success, but I wouldn't call it rock. 

Most of those "prog" acts didn't survive into the 80's: only Offenbach (not prog at all by then) and maneige (until 82, I think), as they were all swept by a huge disco craze (Toronto went more "punk") that filled nightclubs and emptying musical bars/pubs. But the "lost" Separatism referendum in 1980 also played a major role into the mood of the record-buying publuc (more on that economic situation below)

=================

You can easily imagine that the national touring for Quebec bands (prog or not) didn't get better in 76, with the PQ coming to power in La Belle province and the separatism that ensued and provoked many tensions. Though French became +/- significant in Southern Ontario (a real minority that added to the nearly 40% of Northern Ontarians that were French-Canadians -as opposed to Québécois), as many of the English/international firms in Montreal relocated to Ontario in retaliation, thus provoking an exodus of 300 000 Montrealers into places like Toronto.  This actually created an electrochoc to Toronto, which overnight became Canada's biggest city and gave the city an international twist and never looked back. My French high school in Toronto was flooded overnight in 76/77 by Montreal teens (including very promiscuous québécoises HugHeart Pig), and had to expand buildings quite quickly.

Montreal was the big loser with that massive middle and upper class exodus and the Olympics held in that same year left the city broke for decades.

But maybe John (MW) and Greg (Mozo-PG) can also chime in from their Ottawa point of view, as they are +/- the same age as me, and probably lived things differently as I did from their English-speaking roots.

=====================

OTOH/however:

A fair bit of the "chansonniers" (a Quebec word that would +/- translate into singer-sonwriter, as opposed to the "chanteurs" -singers - in France, which didn't always write their own music por even words * ) had some success in France - starting with Robert Charlebois, Diane Dufresne, Gilles Vignault, Pauline Julien and Claude Leveillée.

*: in some ways the "chansonniers" were the precussors to Roch Voisine, Natacha St-Pier (both New Brunswickers, if memory serves), Celine Dion, Linda Lemay, Lara Fabian (she lived next door-after to me in Brussels in the 90's - we bothmoved since - and I still cross her path once in awhile shopping in the same luxury supermarket) and Mylene Farmer that enjoyed world-wide success in pop circles in the last 30 years.

Edited by Sean Trane - January 21 2023 at 02:45
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 02:51

Glad you chimed in Hugues I don't think anyone knows more than you about the Quebec scene. You mentioned not knowing as much about the modern ones in the rest of Canada but one that deserves a mention is Mahogany Frog not to be confused with Quebec's Mahogany Rush. And they reside in Manitoba which is shocking almost. But man what a talented band.

Do chime in a lot more, John Hug, because you lived much longer than I did right next to Quebec  and have probably a different PoV than mine.

After all, aside my three years in Mtl and 17 years in Hogtown (Toronto's nickname), this is only a third of my life (however important it has played a role in my life, from age 7 to 27).

I will never thank Canada Ying YangHeart(as a whole) enough for making me whoever I am today - despite those awful greasy poutines Angry having never left my waistline Pinch LOL. BTW, I truly miss (the now-defunct) Ben's Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches Star (local pastrami)

Edited by Sean Trane - January 21 2023 at 02:59
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>