Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 09:25
First of all, most of prog's history was in the 70s and not 80s. Prog wasn't much more known in the 80s than in the 90s. In fact pure prog started to resurge in the 90s whereas in the 80s it was mostly commercial and poppy stuff from the 70s bands (with some exceptions of course). Anyway, the truth is there are prog fans from all generations. A lot of times it seems there are hardly any prog fans who got into it in the 80s (like me) because you didn't hear much about it. At the time I didn't know anyone else who was into it (or even heard of it or most of the bands). Sure, people knew Genesis, Rush and Pink Floyd but hardly anyone at the time associated them with the term prog because you didn't hear that term much (if at all). Being a Yes fan or being a Genesis fan didn't (and still doesn't) make you a prog fan (imo).With the exception of the 70s prog has pretty much always been a genre that you had to go out of your way looking for to find it (for the most part). You might stumble upon it by accident online but if you weren't already at least somewhat familiar with the bands associated with it you would probably pay no attention to it and not investigate further.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 18 2024 at 09:26
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 12:43
I'm a Boomer not a Zoomer.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 13:41
What is a zoomer?

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 13:42
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

What is a zoomer?

I didn't know either, but I googled it. LOL
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 13:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

What is a zoomer?

I didn't know either, but I googled it. LOL
Same. I had too google that to make sure it isn't something different than a Gen Z-er. xd
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 14:10
I had to look it up also to make sure it didn't mean someone who uses zoom. ;)
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 20:34
Maybe if "Stranger Things" saturates another episode with a prog rock classic another career will be resurrected.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 06:01
My daughter (16) likes a variety of music. She can happily listen to the latest cookie cutter pop song on the radio or something a bit different like Green Day and My Chemical Romance, as well as a lot of other stuff. She LOVES the Great Gig in the Sky by Floyd. She's in marching band and that has exposed her to all sorts of stuff such as Kansas, and System of a Down. She's really getting into 80s music as well. She even has a couple of Rush songs on her Spotify playlist Big smile

Is she going to start listening to Supper's Ready or A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers or 2112? Is she going to dig into Gentle Giant's catalog? Probably not, but she is not opposed to trying out new stuff and even longer compositions.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 06:11
As a boomer myself, I don't recall many that listened to progressive rock back then. And it wasn't labeled as prog or progressive where I grew up. Never heard the label until the early 90's.

So it appears not much has changed.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 06:38
I got into prog (inadvertently) because of my dad, it went something like this (this all started back in early 2021):

>Start getting into music
>Find out longer songs (Hotel California, American Pie) are cool
>Get into Dire Straits
>Telegraph Road introduces you to 10+ minute songs and has cool soundscapes, it becomes your favorite song for a while
>Hear 'Money' on the radio, (it's my first Pink Floyd song)
>I decide this is a pretty good song with some epic guitar solos
>Listen to The Dark Side of the Moon (a spiritual experience indeed!)
>Become obsessed with Pink Floyd
>Watch YouTube videos about Prog (First time I heard the term)
>Discover ProgArchives and Join the forum
>Learn about music that might be better than Pink Floyd
>Accept there is music better than Pink Floyd
>Become a Prog-Head
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 07:23
I recall being is a record store some years ago that had a prog section and a big one at that. A zoomer couple were walking by the prog aisle when the female stopped and started looking through the Spock's Beard catalogue. She asked her male counterpart what "prog" was. He dismissed her immediately and said "it must be stupid sh*t! Look at the band's name of the album you're holding. Spock's Beard! Stupid!" He rushed her back to the Coldplay music section, but she still looked back at the prog album titles. I hope she came back one day and looked further. So, condemnation from the male without even knowing what the music sounded like. That speaks volumes.

Edited by SteveG - January 19 2024 at 07:25
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 08:40
jeez some skull mearusing theories in this thread...

Lotsa zoomers are legit into weird music, thanks to memes and reddit and TikTok, and some of it IS borderline prog. The problem is not with the music itself tho but with the culture around prog - it's "boring dad music", always was*, always will be.

So it will never be popular again, unless another cool modern prog artist temporarily changes that, just like The Mars Volta did twenty (!) years ago. Actually Sleep Token could've become THE New Prog Band but these days they're too busy ripping off Deftones and The Weeknd instead

*well, starting from the arrival of punk
duchamp View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 10:03
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

jeez some skull mearusing theories in this thread...

Lotsa zoomers are legit into weird music, thanks to memes and reddit and TikTok, and some of it IS borderline prog. The problem is not with the music itself tho but with the culture around prog - it's "boring dad music", always was*, always will be.

So it will never be popular again, unless another cool modern prog artist temporarily changes that, just like The Mars Volta did twenty (!) years ago. Actually Sleep Token could've become THE New Prog Band but these days they're too busy ripping off Deftones and The Weeknd instead

*well, starting from the arrival of punk
Hence why it's important to encourage Zoomers to get into Prog, so that the stigma of Prog being for Boomers goes away.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 11:44
What also important is showing boomers some zoomer prog!
I'll start doing this right now, with this fire of a record released today:

Edited by Prog-jester - January 19 2024 at 11:44
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 11:47

This isn't quite "Zoomer" prog. Jay MacLendon, the brain behind glass beach, formerly of Casio Dad fame has been around for a while.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 11:58
Get off my lawn! ;-)
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 21:32
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

This isn't quite "Zoomer" prog. Jay MacLendon, the brain behind glass beach, formerly of Casio Dad fame has been around for a while.
To be fair, this came out in the 21st century, so for some people that means it's super modern.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 22:31
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I got into prog (inadvertently) because of my dad, it went something like this (this all started back in early 2021):

>Start getting into music
>Find out longer songs (Hotel California, American Pie) are cool

Hi,
I was thinking that what we need is a "new" FM Radio situation and dump Xirius (which started out trying to emulate FM Radio), because they are a record company stooge! Like the record companies, they think that new music, or longer music, has no life in anyone's ears.

The problem is that this new "FM" would have to be independent like the early FM was until the great corporate rape in the late 70's bought out all the FM stations and turn them into "classic music" ... and it was then that we started saying that "prog died!" .... actually it didn't ... it had already settled way too well.

My thoughts are that the media are owned by people that think you should not hear this and that ... and that the audience's attention span is not better than 4 or 5 minutes ... and until the day that we break those chains, I kinda think that we will continue being subjected to "hits" and more boredom, by hearing this or that for the 123rd time!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
duchamp View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duchamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 05:17
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Get off my lawn! ;-)
no >:(
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 05:33
I am a gen Xer and while most of my classmates in high school listened to rock music (which is indicative of being from a predominately white middle class suburb mixed in some wealthier country club types), very few listened to "prog" though Rush and Pink Floyd was popular as AOR staples.

It could be because I've moved among different demographics, but it seems like rock music in general has lost popularity among teens over the years. Less interest in rock would proportionally decrease interest in prog. My son is a 20-year old zoomer, and while a music fan, his interests I think are atypical, he is isn't media oriented music (such as movies, TV, theater, video games).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>