Print Page | Close Window

Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132415
Printed Date: May 18 2024 at 12:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?
Posted By: duchamp
Subject: Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 16:11
As a Zoomer myself, I think the reason why Zoomers aren't really into progressive rock that much is because of the fact that most of its history surrounds itself in the 70s and '80s. I don't think it has anything to do with Zoomers getting dumber because that's a reactionary stereotype, however. It's essentially the fact that they wouldn't know the foundational prog bands because they don't really listen to music like that.

What do y'all think?

Replies:
Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 16:19
As a zoomer, I think most of my peers brains can't handle it Tongue

They have no attention spans 

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 17:28
I really don't think the disregard for prog, or anything off the beaten path for that matter, is a unique trait to any one generation.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 18:30
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131943&PN=1" rel="nofollow - https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131943&PN=1

Reminds me of this thread

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 18:59
Zoomer??
Is that anything like a Groomer?
Or perhaps a Tumour?

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:03
'Zoomer' (Gen Z) is the term for those who experienced the Covid Lockdown during schooling and had to use the video calling website Zoom to be taught and communicate, etc. 

The new generation who weren't quite old enough to experience this are called Gen Alpha

I think that's correct. I'm part of Gen Z / The Zoomers, so I feel qualified to answer this

(And yes, it's a play on 'Boomer' before you ask) 

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:33
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

As a zoomer, I think most of my peers brains can't handle it Tongue

They have no attention spans 

I concur. Wink

Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:41
I've lost more than one proggin friend to Indie, which is an alright Genre, I can appreciate it. Even there, there are some elements of Psych and Maybe even hints of prog here and there. Whenever I listen to it, one could hear these influences. 

Mac DeMarco (a name I NEVER thought I'd mention on this site) owes a lot of his influence to some bands like Steve Miller, I've even seen him use a 12 string on a track or two. 

A lot of it's pop/rock, but imo it's better than a lot of really mainstream stuff. Some of the Indie-Folk stuff I quite enjoy, stuff like Mumford and Sons, very talented individuals, just not my style

-------------

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:54
I'm a Gen Z-er but one of the early ones (born '96).

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:54
I think the inaccessible nature of prog (on the whole, obviously it's a spectrum) makes it unpalatable to most people regardless of their generation. Contrary to what you're saying, I know more people that are around my age (I'm a Z-llenial, sort of transitional) that like eclectic music than those I know who are older that enjoy the same. That being said, most of them are musicians like me. So I think that helps, as prog and many of its associated genres (or unrelated ones that certain prog connoiseurs tend to enjoy in the jazz, metal, classical, electronic, modernist, etc. vein) tend to appeal more to people who also make music. Not exclusively, of course. But that's my experience.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 17 2024 at 23:40
The default position for any generation is to not to care about music that is art based. There are plenty of boomers with horrible music taste to go round. A good tune is more important to the vast majority but that may be because they don't know any different. Arguably Prog rock as a movememt was an abhorration or one time deal that had to be spoon fed through albums like DSOTM and Crime Of The Century for the populace to understand it. Even the supposedly high minded Rolling Stone mag failed to 'get' it when they decided that ITCOTCK was just pretentious junk. Inevitably prog was discarded very easily when some idiots (the cabal that is the music industry) decided that punk was the future instead. That was a lot easier to sell and they didn't need to work hard to do it. You didn't even need to find people who could play an instrument properly.

Further on I don't think there is any reason for modern equivalents of prog to be recognised. It's not even about attention span. I have a terrible attention span and always have. The music industry is by far the biggest problem. It does nothing and Spocks Beard even wrote a song (a very long song!) about this but no one is literally listening and that's a horrible irony just in itself. Zoomers will find their own way good or bad. If they care about music they will find something good, and it may be in Rap or Hip Hop rather than so called 'prog' which barely exists as a thing anyway. Prog as a movement hasn't existed for a long time. It's part of history and it would need to be taught at schools to get a wider appreciation. I'm guessing that DSOTM is still the go to prog album for any generation but it's only going to scatch the surface. 

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 02:09
^ Not only Spock's Beard Smile

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 03:00
Because Zoomers are Doomers about good tastes & colours?Evil Smile 

Clown

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 05:01
Perhaps some zoomers are turned off by the fact that Prog can and will get busy or become complex? Although a lot of zoomers may enjoy FAIRYTAIL..the original soundtrack by YASUHARU TAKANASHI which we are reminded of Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, Goblin..etc.

Because we are living in a completely different world. A world where video game soundtracks are taken as seriously as ELP were in 1973...

Yet this completely different world will often acknowledge Jimmy Page as a important figure from my generation while being dismissive of many other innovators from the 60s and
70s.

Does that even make any sense? Page was originally liked alongside everyone else in the early 70s. That's an actual fact. But the information circulating now apparently this is all made up B.S. Complete exaggeration through journalism for whatever pointless reason.

A lot of zoomers are spoon fed by Prog reviewers on YouTube who weren't born in the later 50s or early 60s and have no realization of what Prog meant to the youth in those times. Many of them have negative points to make about all the positive things we experienced in our youth and a lot of positive points to make about the things that many people found insignificant in those times.

They seem so certain. So confident. So confused and wrong. Is there any reason to believe what they're saying? Is it a slippery slope to not believe in this made up bs? No it isnt...that's called reasoning

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:34
I teach music to a lot of young people. Today's youngster is not much into bands or live music. Go to your local live music club and you will see mostly middle-aged and older.
Most young people I know are into music you can do by yourself with a phone, ipad or computer. They like electronica, rap, hip-hop, video game soundtracks etc. I quit teaching guitar because few kids want to rock out anymore.
Oddly enough, playing a band instrument and getting in the school marching band still has its appeal and I still get a lot of students on saxophone and flute because of that. I still have a lot of piano students too who like a wide variety of music including classical.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:39
My younger daughter is a zoomer. She sings while listening to Pink Floyd's Time and wanted Radiohead's OK Computer vynil for Xmas. (I'm not a Radiohead fan, she hasn't heard them from me). She loves Nirvana (Kobain's, not the old prog band) that's not prog but before her time as well.

The problem is not the age, but the eventual presence of void between the ears.

While writing I'm listening to Steve Miller's Band "Brave New World". I was 7 years old when it was released.

Said so, I have to say that "mythology" has always been fundamental. Listening or reading about bigs of the past has always been influential in every epoch, but only to people with open minds and novoid between the ears.

Then, there's also people without voids but with no interest in music, it's "legal". I have no interest in dance or sculpture, that's my void.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:42
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I teach music to a lot of young people. Today's youngster is not much into bands or live music. Go to your local live music club and you will see mostly middle-aged and older.
Most young people I know are into music you can do by yourself with a phone, ipad or computer. They like electronica, rap, hip-hop, video game soundtracks etc. I quit teaching guitar because few kids want to rock out anymore.
Oddly enough, playing a band instrument and getting in the school marching band still has its appeal and I still get a lot of students on saxophone and flute because of that. I still have a lot of piano students too who like a wide variety of music including classical.
but isn't it great that music technology has increased in accessibility? it has never been easier to create stunning works of art, imo, and there is a lot of great music out there today, simply because of the internets ability 2 make DAWS easier to download n learn

Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The default position for any generation is to not to care about music that is art based. There are plenty of boomers with horrible music taste to go round. A good tune is more important to the vast majority but that may be because they don't know any different. Arguably Prog rock as a movememt was an abhorration or one time deal that had to be spoon fed through albums like DSOTM and Crime Of The Century for the populace to understand it. Even the supposedly high minded Rolling Stone mag failed to 'get' it when they decided that ITCOTCK was just pretentious junk. Inevitably prog was discarded very easily when some idiots (the cabal that is the music industry) decided that punk was the future instead. That was a lot easier to sell and they didn't need to work hard to do it. You didn't even need to find people who could play an instrument properly.

Further on I don't think there is any reason for modern equivalents of prog to be recognised. It's not even about attention span. I have a terrible attention span and always have. The music industry is by far the biggest problem. It does nothing and Spocks Beard even wrote a song (a very long song!) about this but no one is literally listening and that's a horrible irony just in itself. Zoomers will find their own way good or bad. If they care about music they will find something good, and it may be in Rap or Hip Hop rather than so called 'prog' which barely exists as a thing anyway. Prog as a movement hasn't existed for a long time. It's part of history and it would need to be taught at schools to get a wider appreciation. I'm guessing that DSOTM is still the go to prog album for any generation but it's only going to scatch the surface. 
actually, i do think that prog still exists, but its not a singular movement. its more a diverse array of styles n approaches that can't really be boxed into one scene

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 08:19
Here are a few of the multiple reasons why Gen-Z is less likely to embrace Prog/Jazz/Classical.  

Language.  Gen-Z communicates more via texting.  Gen-Z lacks verbal and aural stimulation/experiences.  Their verbal skills are stunted and muted.  Employers constantly complain that Gen-Z have difficulty expressing themselves verbally.  Their musical tastes are influenced by the complexity of their verbal/aural experience. 

Short Attention span.  I-phones, media, and social media shortened attention spans. Complex music requires extended attention spans.

Environmental interaction structures brains. I've observed this as my personal experience. When I was Gen-Z's age I didn't listen exclusively to Prog/Jazz/Classical music. I also listened to less complex Pop and rock. As the years passed, my brain got bored with predictable Pop/rock.  Now, my brain craves complex time signatures and surprising shifts in my aural milieu.  It's a function of the human evolution of the brain.  When I go to the beach, I hear the waves from my beach house.  At a primitive level, my brain notices the new aural input. Evolution makes the brain notice changes in the environment. Is this ocean wave sound dangerous?  Does this ocean wave sound signal new enriched resources?  After a day or two, the brain filters out the conscious sound of the waves because it doesn't signal danger or new resources.  Of course, I can still hear the waves...if I focus.  Back to music.  Prog, jazz, and classical stimulate my brain to take notice because my brain detects nuances in the sounds that are novel. My brain hasn't heard that exact tone, melody, rhythm, or sequence of time signature changes before.   My brain is stimulated.   

What is my point?  Some members of Gen-Z will gravitate toward Progressive music as they age.  This will probably be a function of their personality.  Audodidacts, hedonists, information junkies, and people who naturally sieve a higher proportion of the environment via thinking versus those who experience more of the environment through their instincts and emotions. Wink

There are other reasons that Gen-Z doesn't listen to prog.  Consider that Jethro Tull's album "A Passion Play" spent a week at #1 number one.  Gen-Z isn't exposed to such complex music. They won't feel the nostalgic pull of complex music and variety that previous generations experienced. 

I wonder what percentage of Gen-Z play in high school band or take music lessons as compared to the past?  I don't know the answer.  I know I played clarinet from 6th grade through 12th grade. I imagine that a higher percentage of musicians are drawn to prog...especially ones who form bands after high school.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 09:13
Originally posted by duchamp duchamp wrote:

As a Zoomer myself, I think the reason why Zoomers aren't really into progressive rock that much is because of the fact that most of its history surrounds itself in the 70s and '80s. I don't think it has anything to do with Zoomers getting dumber because that's a reactionary stereotype, however. It's essentially the fact that they wouldn't know the foundational prog bands because they don't really listen to music like that.

What do y'all think?

Hi,

I don't have an answer but I think that every generation has the same problem. A lot of it has to do with the media ... the 60's took place because there was a lot of vital, and different media around to help create a new scene. Nowadays, the media is all controlled by the same folks, and there is no alternative publication as we found 50 years ago.

The Internet, I originally thought, was going to be the great leveller that helped maintain what the alternative media outlets did in the 60's ... but intest, it has become a commercial junkyard with so much misinformation and a lot of advertising, making it look like something is great ... and sadly enough, there is no alternative media that fights that because the majority of Internet outlets are owned by the media ... and the shock stuff and the pod-craps are not helping ... some are good, but some are nuts and not very good at all, but they fill a niche that I think could be called the "lemmingmania" of the Internet. 

I, honestly, think that a lot of that stuff is done intentionally so that you, as a listener, can not make a decision as to something being good or better, or the like ... the minute you think you found your words for this or that, a day later you find something that breaks up what you thought ... and that makes it really hard to deal with tastes and scenes ... which is another story ... you can see all the listings and numbers about new this and that ... and none of them are a part of a real artistic scene, and that is a sign of things that won't go very far ... the 60's was an artistic scene, with film (rock was 10 years behind!!!), theater, literature and all the arts ... today ... almost nothing! It's like the "art" of it all is hidden, or doesn't exist ... which (0f course) only makes everyone thing that in the end, it is all just pop music ... so yeah ... numbers everyone!

It's about us ... 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 09:25
First of all, most of prog's history was in the 70s and not 80s. Prog wasn't much more known in the 80s than in the 90s. In fact pure prog started to resurge in the 90s whereas in the 80s it was mostly commercial and poppy stuff from the 70s bands (with some exceptions of course). Anyway, the truth is there are prog fans from all generations. A lot of times it seems there are hardly any prog fans who got into it in the 80s (like me) because you didn't hear much about it. At the time I didn't know anyone else who was into it (or even heard of it or most of the bands). Sure, people knew Genesis, Rush and Pink Floyd but hardly anyone at the time associated them with the term prog because you didn't hear that term much (if at all). Being a Yes fan or being a Genesis fan didn't (and still doesn't) make you a prog fan (imo).With the exception of the 70s prog has pretty much always been a genre that you had to go out of your way looking for to find it (for the most part). You might stumble upon it by accident online but if you weren't already at least somewhat familiar with the bands associated with it you would probably pay no attention to it and not investigate further.

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 12:43
I'm a Boomer not a Zoomer.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 13:41
What is a zoomer?

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 13:42
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

What is a zoomer?

I didn't know either, but I googled it. LOL

Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 13:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

What is a zoomer?

I didn't know either, but I googled it. LOL
Same. I had too google that to make sure it isn't something different than a Gen Z-er. xd

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 14:10
I had to look it up also to make sure it didn't mean someone who uses zoom. ;)

Posted By: Hugh Manatee
Date Posted: January 18 2024 at 20:34
Maybe if "Stranger Things" saturates another episode with a prog rock classic another career will be resurrected.

-------------
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 06:01
My daughter (16) likes a variety of music. She can happily listen to the latest cookie cutter pop song on the radio or something a bit different like Green Day and My Chemical Romance, as well as a lot of other stuff. She LOVES the Great Gig in the Sky by Floyd. She's in marching band and that has exposed her to all sorts of stuff such as Kansas, and System of a Down. She's really getting into 80s music as well. She even has a couple of Rush songs on her Spotify playlist Big smile

Is she going to start listening to Supper's Ready or A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers or 2112? Is she going to dig into Gentle Giant's catalog? Probably not, but she is not opposed to trying out new stuff and even longer compositions.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 06:11
As a boomer myself, I don't recall many that listened to progressive rock back then. And it wasn't labeled as prog or progressive where I grew up. Never heard the label until the early 90's.

So it appears not much has changed.

Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 06:38
I got into prog (inadvertently) because of my dad, it went something like this (this all started back in early 2021):

>Start getting into music
>Find out longer songs (Hotel California, American Pie) are cool
>Get into Dire Straits
>Telegraph Road introduces you to 10+ minute songs and has cool soundscapes, it becomes your favorite song for a while
>Hear 'Money' on the radio, (it's my first Pink Floyd song)
>I decide this is a pretty good song with some epic guitar solos
>Listen to The Dark Side of the Moon (a spiritual experience indeed!)
>Become obsessed with Pink Floyd
>Watch YouTube videos about Prog (First time I heard the term)
>Discover ProgArchives and Join the forum
>Learn about music that might be better than Pink Floyd
>Accept there is music better than Pink Floyd
>Become a Prog-Head

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 07:23
I recall being is a record store some years ago that had a prog section and a big one at that. A zoomer couple were walking by the prog aisle when the female stopped and started looking through the Spock's Beard catalogue. She asked her male counterpart what "prog" was. He dismissed her immediately and said "it must be stupid sh*t! Look at the band's name of the album you're holding. Spock's Beard! Stupid!" He rushed her back to the Coldplay music section, but she still looked back at the prog album titles. I hope she came back one day and looked further. So, condemnation from the male without even knowing what the music sounded like. That speaks volumes.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 08:40
jeez some skull mearusing theories in this thread...

Lotsa zoomers are legit into weird music, thanks to memes and reddit and TikTok, and some of it IS borderline prog. The problem is not with the music itself tho but with the culture around prog - it's "boring dad music", always was*, always will be.

So it will never be popular again, unless another cool modern prog artist temporarily changes that, just like The Mars Volta did twenty (!) years ago. Actually Sleep Token could've become THE New Prog Band but these days they're too busy ripping off Deftones and The Weeknd instead

*well, starting from the arrival of punk

Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 10:03
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

jeez some skull mearusing theories in this thread...

Lotsa zoomers are legit into weird music, thanks to memes and reddit and TikTok, and some of it IS borderline prog. The problem is not with the music itself tho but with the culture around prog - it's "boring dad music", always was*, always will be.

So it will never be popular again, unless another cool modern prog artist temporarily changes that, just like The Mars Volta did twenty (!) years ago. Actually Sleep Token could've become THE New Prog Band but these days they're too busy ripping off Deftones and The Weeknd instead

*well, starting from the arrival of punk
Hence why it's important to encourage Zoomers to get into Prog, so that the stigma of Prog being for Boomers goes away.

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 11:44
What also important is showing boomers some zoomer prog!
I'll start doing this right now, with this fire of a record released today:

Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 11:47

This isn't quite "Zoomer" prog. Jay MacLendon, the brain behind glass beach, formerly of Casio Dad fame has been around for a while.

-------------
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 11:58
Get off my lawn! ;-)

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 21:32
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

This isn't quite "Zoomer" prog. Jay MacLendon, the brain behind glass beach, formerly of Casio Dad fame has been around for a while.
To be fair, this came out in the 21st century, so for some people that means it's super modern.

Date Posted: January 19 2024 at 22:31

I got into prog (inadvertently) because of my dad, it went something like this (this all started back in early 2021):

>Start getting into music
>Find out longer songs (Hotel California, American Pie) are cool

Hi,
I was thinking that what we need is a "new" FM Radio situation and dump Xirius (which started out trying to emulate FM Radio), because they are a record company stooge! Like the record companies, they think that new music, or longer music, has no life in anyone's ears.

The problem is that this new "FM" would have to be independent like the early FM was until the great corporate rape in the late 70's bought out all the FM stations and turn them into "classic music" ... and it was then that we started saying that "prog died!" .... actually it didn't ... it had already settled way too well.

My thoughts are that the media are owned by people that think you should not hear this and that ... and that the audience's attention span is not better than 4 or 5 minutes ... and until the day that we break those chains, I kinda think that we will continue being subjected to "hits" and more boredom, by hearing this or that for the 123rd time!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 05:17
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Get off my lawn! ;-)
no >:(

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 05:33
I am a gen Xer and while most of my classmates in high school listened to rock music (which is indicative of being from a predominately white middle class suburb mixed in some wealthier country club types), very few listened to "prog" though Rush and Pink Floyd was popular as AOR staples.

It could be because I've moved among different demographics, but it seems like rock music in general has lost popularity among teens over the years. Less interest in rock would proportionally decrease interest in prog. My son is a 20-year old zoomer, and while a music fan, his interests I think are atypical, he is isn't media oriented music (such as movies, TV, theater, video games).

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 09:32
I was teaching high school biology (in the USA, this is age 14) and discussed musical tastes with my students.  The boys pretty much said they liked rap, and asked me what I was into.  I said "look up Yes." 

They found a live version of CTTE on YouTube and told me they liked it! 

I believe that good music resonates no matter what.  I enjoy talented Country Western, Soul, even Disco if the musical talent is good to excellent.  

Rap could do better...for instance, back in the controversy days of "Power" (Kanye West using a sample of Schizoid Man), Ye and Bob Fripp should have teamed up with Kanye rapping over Soundscapes as an innovative marketing move.  Fripp wouldn't have to be selling signed calendars as he is doing right now.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 11:02
In 1971 Progressive Rock was huge in my hometown. I was in high school then and they offered a lot of musical activities to participate in. If not totally connected to the music programs then outside forces formed events revolving around performances. Battle Of The Bands and the high school dance. At most high school dances teenagers wanted to dance to music by Chicago, BS&T, Cream, Humble Pie, Ten Years After etc...and this opened up a realm for Progressive Rock.

And it certainly did. Teenagers wanted to see cover bands playing Jethro Tull, Genesis, ELP, YES, and so young musicians were stacking their keyboards like Wakeman, Rock drummers were buying gongs and chimes...and trying to play like Carl Palmer and Bill Bruford. I realize you may find that difficult to believe...but I'm being totally honest..people went crazy over Progressive Rock!! The music teachers were amazed by Keith Emerson.

They were already playing Switched On Bach for us in music class and they often discussed the Synthesizer. When the music teachers and the music director heard Emerson they just flipped out! It wasn't until the mid to late 70s that Prog craze began to die down.

In the 70s and 80s during the first wave, second wave, and possibly third wave of Prog...there were amazing Prog bands belonging mainly to the underground. Gracious, Curved Air, Beggars Opera, Trace, Greenslade, Rare Bird, Spring, Ange, Pulsar, Far East Family Band, Eloy, Guru, Guru, Gong, Hatfield and the North. ...and the list was endless!! It extended all through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Underground Prog not commercial sell out Prog. It was interesting music and it's longevity continued all through the 70s, 80s,90's.

Regardless of the big 5 or 6 ...Regardless if the mass media still wanted Prog or not...Prog became an obsession for the starving artist. Think about it. It continued to exist for the sake of art. It wasn't about giving the people what they want. Hundreds of bands were signed to low budget labels or subdivisions of large labels for decades.

Some of the underground bands were directly emulating the style of the big 5 or 6. Regardless of what sub-genre of Prog they belonged to. RIO, Canterbury, Symphonic, Krautrock...and several bands were actually very original sounding. It was morally worth it to keep the spirit of Prog alive. Not for money...obviously...but to keep the art alive

Posted By: Magog2112
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 22:30
Fellow "Zoomer" here. In terms of classic 70s and maybe even 80s prog, there are only a handful of my peers that I know listen to it. Pink Floyd and Radiohead (if you consider those bands prog) are still popular among youth. I had some friends in high school who listened to Yes, Kate Bush, and Frank Zappa. My guitar instructor (who is a massive proghead) has a son about my age who listens to Genesis. I also formed a high school band with two other guys who had an affinity for Rush and we played Rush covers. Granted, these are baseline prog bands that most people know, but they're nevertheless progressive.

In terms of neo-prog or third-wave prog bands (which I love as much as 70s progressive rock), that is much harder to come by from people of ANY age. Marillion were popular in the 80s but are now more of a niche band. I had a friend who liked Paul Menel-era IQ. He heard a few seconds of "The Road of Bones" and thought it was too weird. I can't tell you how many times something like that has happened to me LOL

As someone who loves having music conversations, it's a struggle when your peers consistently don't understand your music taste and treat it like it's the most bizarre genre. Being a young progger isn't easy sometimes.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 22:39
Bands on the fringe of prog such as Elbow and Muse may fair better. These could be potentially be gateway bands although they've both now been around a while. Of course there are Black Midi and the like. My Nephew has also heard of King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard although thought it strange that they are in anyway connected to say Pink Floyd. That is one of the problems, it's way too large a universe and the borders between experimental music and prog are not always clear and seem to be more a matter of opinion than actual reality.

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 22:52
Different times. One Zoomer I know just switches songs after about 10 to 20 seconds as if they are surfing channels on a TV. I think we are a much more distracted society full of gadgets. Just eating dinner the other night, it was ping, ping, ring, ring, ding, ding with texts, emails, and notifications. I tried to show this person a Rick Wakeman song and they were literally fidgeting and twitching before they started blabbering away right in the middle of the keyboard solo. Relax. Breathe. Listen. Expand the attention span. Brain waves matching the wavelength. Appreciate it. Enjoy.

Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 22:56
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

As someone who loves having music conversations, it's a struggle when your peers consistently don't understand your music taste and treat it like it's the most bizarre genre. Being a young progger isn't easy sometimes.

YES!

This

I embrace I've got a weird taste in music, it's fun

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 09:31
Most people in general aren't much into prog. I actually think zoomers make up a big portion of the current prog fan base (and younger folks in general). I have a nephew (22 years old) who was listening to a prog metal playlist on spotify without me prompting. Ok, so he said his favorite prog metal band (he used the term "progressive metal") is The Mars Volta (which they aren't) but hey it's a start.

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 20:34
The golden age of Prog coincided with the upsurge of album sales, when albums outsold singles for the first time. Prog was largely an album-oriented genre, a lot of the time with elaborate packaging that added to the overall appreciation of the music.

Neither of these things really apply anymore and music has moved back to being sold song by song for the most part.

Any talk of "Zoomer" short attention span comes across as slightly patronising and condescending to me.

As far as I'm concerned, the real question is "Why should Zoomers be into Progressive rock?"

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 20:44
^As a zoomer, we have short attention spans, my peers were complaining about sitting through Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings earlier, the payoff is worth the wait sometimes. Most of us admit we have short attention spans.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 20:48
So, is admitting to a short attention span some kind of badge of honour?

Forgive me if I don't understand.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 22:31

^As a zoomer, we have short attention spans, my peers were complaining about sitting through Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings earlier, the payoff is worth the wait sometimes. Most of us admit we have short attention spans.
Meanwhile, many of MY peers (Z-lennial here, as a reminder) will only watch the extended editions. While it's true that many people who stream music are less into album-oriented experiences, and many zoomers be streamin' and shufflin' them playlists, that doesn't make them much different from older people who grew up in the LP or cassette generations. I spend a lot of time with people who are older than me (in some cases, significantly older). I can present a boomer with Proclamation, a gen X-er with some Erotomania, and a Millennial some Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here. They aren't going to like any of it. I think some of the newer artists on the vanguard of prog and its related post-punk-y, post-rock-y, jazz fusion-y, experimental-y, electronic-y, neo-psychedelic-y fringey friendies are bringing in a whole new, younger audience by adapting to the lowered attention spans.

In any case, a lack of appreciation for forms of art that require more patience, more thoughtfulness, and more time in a world of endless, multiplying distractions is not strictly a generational thing. Remember, prog was never ACTUALLY popular in the grand scheme of things because of its inaccessibility to most folks (read: lack of marketability). In fact, nowadays, it has more of a chance than ever to be discovered by people who will actually enjoy it. They can search for it at their leisure. In my experience, I've met MORE people (not many more, but still, more) who are around my age with whom I share a love of either prog, or at least more eclectic music. As well as other art forms, like film/tv and video games. Maybe you will find other peers who share your tastes.

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 22:35
^I absolutely agree with all of this.

For me there is a difference between not being interested in something (immediately or otherwise) and having a short attention span.

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 08:17
I don't agree that Zoomers are the only generation that has short attention spans. I think it runs across the entire spectrum of generations. Otherwise, we would have had 10+ minute long songs regularly in the top 40 charts way back in the 1970s. We, here at Prog Archives, are outliers. I'm sure there are outliers in not only other genres that produce longer format songs, but other aspects of life: reading, film, etc.

Let me focus on sofas in my next post.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 08:53
^ I’m talking about general societal trends, not trying to be patronizing. Obviously, there are Zoomers out there who enjoy Prog and other forms of creative music and who love to listen to albums all the way through and have a great deal of patience in spite of all the distractions. But, there is a reason why music in general is becoming shorter and shorter in length and perhaps focused more on rhythm rather than on interesting composition.   Not all music obviously. There are plenty of exceptions. We are a more distracted society because we are being bombarded with communications in many forms. Kid sick from school one day? You’ll get a text, an email, and a phone call all within 5 minutes of each other. Ask how many artists a typical Zoomer can name. Ask someone who grew up in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s. There will be a difference of one or two orders of magnitude. Again, not all Zoomers. And, it is due in part to the times we live in. Even non-Zoomer generations are getting more distracted, present proggers excluded.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 10:09
Zoomers are said to value convenience, and brevity, and shorter tracks can be more convenient, especially if they are being used as the background of your dance moves on Tik-Tok. My kids are Gen-Z (16 and 20). One, the 16 year old, favours classical music (including true classical, romantic music, and soundtrack music) especially piano pieces, and he likes to compose music for the piano, and he likes Nat King Cole, and various of a rather similar ilk singers who play piano, and my other favours more kinds of emo and goth music, and music that became popular with Cos-players on Tik-Tok. Neither of my kids got into Prog.

Posted By: VultureCulture07
Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 10:29
Turns out I'm a zoomer, this is news to me. I was born in 2006 and didn't discover the land of prog until like 2020. I was watching a YouTube guitarist play weird riffs when he played "Frame by Frame" the rest is history. I have listened to probably too much prog from the popular to obscure to the practically non-existent(I'm talking to you Spectra). What brought me to love this music can be best explained by something Rory Ridley-Duff said on an interview here on PA is was along the lines of "prog is for people who want more from music than a three minute love song". As a zoomer prog head I can say that the reason they aren't really into prog is it is extraneously difficult to discover. I never heard of prog despite hearing Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Supertramp etc. my whole life. That's just what I think because no one I talk to knows what prog is and neither did I. But attention span also probably has something to do with it.

-------------
https://llamakoifish.wixsite.com/goosestavsrecordrevi" rel="nofollow - My Link      I make content here... Sometimes

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 10:36
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I am a gen Xer and while most of my classmates in high school listened to rock music (which is indicative of being from a predominately white middle class suburb mixed in some wealthier country club types), very few listened to "prog" though Rush and Pink Floyd was popular as AOR staples.

Yup. Being a teenage prog fan in the 80's didn't exactly get you a prom date. Of course I was all over the map. I had a mohawk and was just as likely to pull into the parking lot blasting Yes as I was Subhumans or Slayer.  

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 12:14
What an interesting thread! 

I don't know if radio is still relevant to the young....as a high school student (1969-73), our AM radio stations played a ton of prog including Roundabout, Hocus Pocus, From the Beginning, Knights in White Satin etc.  

I have one radio station in the car I listen to, it is a "classic rock" station.  Typical old Dad-Rock like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc.  

Therefore, much of our exposure at home is from watching TV shows.  The American show "Saturday Night Live" introduced us to many contemporary acts, and I notice that live performance seems to always require a bevy of dancers!!  

Imagine dancing to "Close to the Edge" or "Fracture!" (actually, Toyah Fripp tap-danced to Fracture on YouTube!) 

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 13:43
You could do a psychology experiment. Get a randomized sample of Zoomers. Put each one of them in a room, play Tarkus or Supper’s Ready, and see how long it takes for them to run out of there. Repeat with different generations.

On another tangent, it takes me all of 3 seconds to run out of a store at Xmas time when I hear “All I Want For Christmas Is You”. Fleeing I should say.

Maybe that’s the true measure of how proggy a song is. How long do they stay in the room?

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 15:34
It just shows how times have changed.In the 70s and 80s if I was subjected to CCR, The Eagles and Led Zeppelin I'd exit the room. That's a major red flag to society today. I don't conceive it that way. I've always disliked that music.

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 16:48
" Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?"

Prog is something else than mainstream popular music, and as such doesn't appeal to the majority of the young people today - only to the chosen ones. Big smile The popularity of Progressive Rock in the 1970s was coming very much from the '60s counterculture, and the whole cultural situation has just changed since. 

All this may already have been said in this thread before, but I haven't read the previous posts.

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 17:06
If all one is listening to is the 3 minute pop music format of today, which often has a highly produced (maybe overly produced?) sound, auto-tune, and the focus is mainly rhythm, then it could be a challenge for the ears to listen to something more organic like Prog. Not an Eagles fan either. Hotel California is another song that makes me run the other direction. Probably because they ripped off Jethro Tull. But, that’s for another thread.

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 19:01
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

If all one is listening to is the 3 minute pop music format of today, which often has a highly produced (maybe overly produced?) sound, auto-tune, and the focus is mainly rhythm, then it could be a challenge for the ears to listen to something more organic like Prog. Not an Eagles fan either. Hotel California is another song that makes me run the other direction. Probably because they ripped off Jethro Tull. But, that’s for another thread.

Yes ...actually because of the restrictions in the music business there is the existence of a handpicked list of songs recorded by a list of usual suspects. The famous concept ..."Give the people what they want" is a trick. A means of convincing all artists they must do that and perpetuating an idea for profit instead of just allowing music to be an art form. Or promoting the idea of musicians being inspired by the music...which instead music generally becomes contrived in the business. It becomes forced.

You practice 8 or 10 hours a day all through your youth so when you hit age 18 you can become a person/musician that wants to make sh*t up and force music to be something that it isnt.

You become very skilled and you're just going to throw it all away by playing music that you dislike. Does that even make any sense? You practice and become very skilled so that you can turn professional and play the same chords ...the same songs over and over again. A total redundancy. That's ridiculous. It's compromising right? And everybody is happy except you. They need a skilled player to perform boring music that is overrated.

It wasn't quite like that in the late 60s and early 70s. People didn't pack the Spectrum in Philadelphia to see TEN YEARS AFTER just because the newspaper and the radio directed them to. People liked Ten Years After, Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, and Free because of their musicianship in Rock. There was no particular thing which people wanted. They liked Rush and Blue Oyster Cult because their albums were decent and they were great to see live. A lot of these bands proved themselves to the youth. It was more sincere and less shallow than how Rock Music was perceived in the 1980s.

Today the music business promotes the idea of handpicked song lists and usual suspects and that sweeps all the other bands under the rug...and the original response those bands received is erased by stuffing chosen band names down the populations throat. It's just such a lie . Everyone having this certain image of the golden age of Rock which is completely shallow and opposite of how it was defined in the mad times.

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 19:59
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

You could do a psychology experiment. Get a randomized sample of Zoomers. Put each one of them in a room, play Tarkus or Supper’s Ready, and see how long it takes for them to run out of there. Repeat with different generations.

Funny story, at work I played "Black Noise" by FM and my 18 year old co-worker didn't make it past track 2. Another one of my managers(22) however made it through all of Trifles "First Meeting", "Three of a Perfect Pair", and "Larks Tounges in Aspic"

Lastly my 35 year old manager said King Crimson was just noise. So there's some data.

-------------
https://llamakoifish.wixsite.com/goosestavsrecordrevi" rel="nofollow - My Link      I make content here... Sometimes

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 21:39
^ It’s a sad state of musical affairs. This is a good place to discover music. But, I feel bad for the needle in a haystack artists. It is hard to turn a dime even if you are at the top of your game in Prog. There are some who make a living out of it. But, for most, it is don’t quit your day job. And I want to hear good Prog song writing rather than audio experiments.

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 21:49
OK, so I punched this question into a chatbot and got this response which I think just about covers the question:

"The reasons why certain genres of music, such as progressive rock, may not be as popular among Zoomers or the younger generation can be attributed to several factors:
1. Cultural Shift: Musical preferences often reflect the cultural trends and experiences of a particular time period. Progressive rock emerged primarily in the late 1960s and 1970s, and its complex song structures, lengthy compositions, and instrumental virtuosity were in line with the artistic trends of that era. As cultural tastes and trends have evolved, different genres have gained prominence, which may not align with the characteristics of progressive rock.
2. Accessibility and Exposure: The availability and accessibility of music have expanded with the advent of digital platforms and streaming services. This has led to a wide range of musical choices and increased exposure to various genres. Popularity often builds around music that is easily accessible, heavily promoted, or frequently heard on the radio, which may lead to a larger following for those genres.
3. Evolving Musical Styles: Musical aesthetics and styles have continued to evolve and diversify. Many younger artists may draw inspiration from a wide range of genres but reinterpret them in a contemporary context that resonates more with the current generation's tastes. The focus on concise songs, catchier hooks, and a more instant gratification experience in the digital age might not align with the longer and more intricate compositions commonly found in progressive rock.
4. Peer Influence and Social Dynamics: Musical preferences can be influenced by social interactions and peer groups. Younger individuals tend to develop their musical tastes based on what they are exposed to within their immediate social circles. If progressive rock is not widely appreciated or popular among their peers, it may not gain as much traction or resonance with the younger audience.
It is important to remember that musical preference is highly individual and subjective. While progressive rock may not be as popular among Zoomers or the younger generation as it once was, there are still individuals within that age group who appreciate and enjoy the genre. Taste in music varies greatly among individuals, and it is important to respect and embrace diversity in musical preferences."

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2024 at 22:13
The chatbot is making me feel guilty, but it’s difficult not to poke a little fun at Zoomers. Gen X at least sounds halfway decent. Boomers does too. The Greatest Generation sounds like the cat’s meow by comparison. But when your generation is named after an annoying computer program … that’s a little sad.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 00:09
In regards to our shorter attention span it started long before TikTok, so there's no real arguing against that. We haven't seen the worst yet. As already mentioned this affects every generation. Those of us predisposed to enjoy complex or abstracted long form music compositions were always exceptions to the norm. TikTok is seriously brain damaging, but there's hundreds of millions zoomers out there that doesn't waste away their lives watching 15 second videosnippets anyway. Young people are still capable of watching five or six seasons of quite intricate, wide spanning storytelling with complex characters as older generations. Maybe more. Long form discussions and podcasts are more popular than the superficial short form "news/debate" TV-version that most of us have grown up with. The potential is there.

Introducing music "outside the comfort zone" to anyone including zoomers, takes people-and seduction skills. Unfortunately music nerds and prog nerds alike are rarely the best music-or prog ambassadors. If you don't know or understand your audience, there's very little chance of success. One reason I’m relatively positive toward some of these reaction video channels, is that millions of people looking at people loosing their sh*t whilst listening to «Roundabout» or getting emotional to «Shine on you Crazy Diamond» for the first time, has greater potential than playing "Larks’ Tounge..." at the office.

I've discussed similar things with fellow jazz fans. If you’re dealing with total noobs, save Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler and Cecil Taylor for later. How about some selected Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, early Herbie Hancock or Ahmad Jamal for starters instead? It’s easier on the ears, but still amazing, classic jazz.

-------------

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 05:03
i often see the youth of today permanently attached to ear bud. I like to think to myself they are listening to some 30 minute prog epic - but it's more likely to be Ed Sheeran.

I think point four from the chat bot is the most likely reason Gen Zs don't veer much from the standard musical fare these days. I'm sure we all recall our own tribes when we were yoofs - my school (late 70s) was either punk, metal or prog. If you weren't one of those you were probably a bit of an outsider.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 07:46
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Prog is something else than mainstream popular music, and as such doesn't appeal to the majority of the young people today - only to the chosen ones. Big smile The popularity of Progressive Rock in the 1970s was coming very much from the '60s counterculture, and the whole cultural situation has just changed since.

So, just enjoy if you're one of the chosen ones. 

-------------

Posted By: Cinema
Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 08:15
I'd venture to say most Gen Z folks have never really heard good music. As Steven Wilson said:

Hear the sound of music drifting in the aisles
Elevator prozac stretching on for miles
The music of the future will not entertain
It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 08:25
^While I agree with Steven Wilson, is there really such a thing as 'good music'?

There is music that is technical and original, complex, but is it 'better'? since it's opinionated 

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 08:27

Actually, I find this question more interesting:

What does it require of young people today to be fond of Progressive Rock?

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 08:33

^While I agree with Steven Wilson, is there really such a thing as 'good music'?
I can at least state with certainty that there is really such a thing as 'bad music' 

(thankfully there's also such a thing as 'good music' but it isn't necessarily technical, original or complex)

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 08:37
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Actually, I find this question more interesting:

What does it require of young people today to be fond of Progressive Rock?

Perhaps it's the writer in me, but I love prog because the music is actually meaningful and a lot of the lyrics tell stories. I love the music because it's inspirational, I've wrote so many short stories and poems based off prog songs it's wild.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 15:42
If music is technical/complex for the most part it's solely based on a personal preference. If you like what a specific band and their compositions do for you. They are complex..but perhaps they lift you up and the more you listen to this particular band's music the more you enjoy getting that feeling.

That's a true and meaningful connection between you and the artist. Another Fusion band or Classical Rock band is stylistically based off the same creative composition, but they just don't do it for you.

I have often wondered why that extreme difference is so affective on people. Maybe they're feeling the person's soul through their playing. An artist who composes in several styles may feed off life experiences and the emotion in their playing often evolves from a true experience. Consequently several people in the world feel something from the music and they often find it something difficult to describe in words. This is the kind of affect music can have on humans. A person may wonder why they like a particular band so much and it's more than likely the musician's or writer's soul that they are feeling.

Many outstanding songwriters or composers begin theory in their childhood. Some that are definitely skilled tend to develop theory to a high level and it all becomes second nature....so that when they compose they allow the music to flow through them and not think about the science of music..and thinking about anything at all. Just allowing music to inspire you. You hear chord progressions, melody, harmony, ...you don't actually think about the order of everything. The music controls what you do. As an end result you end up recording a decent piece of music.

On another note...there are people in the music business that try to buy you. They may offer a large sum for a piece you wrote in return for putting their name on the writing credits. Now everyone thinks that they wrote it. Do you see how easy it is to fool people?

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 21:02
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

OK, so I punched this question into a chatbot and got this response which I think just about covers the question:

"The reasons why certain genres of music, such as progressive rock, may not be as popular among Zoomers or the younger generation can be attributed to several factors:
1. Cultural Shift: Musical preferences often reflect the cultural trends and experiences of a particular time period. Progressive rock emerged primarily in the late 1960s and 1970s, and its complex song structures, lengthy compositions, and instrumental virtuosity were in line with the artistic trends of that era. As cultural tastes and trends have evolved, different genres have gained prominence, which may not align with the characteristics of progressive rock.
2. Accessibility and Exposure: The availability and accessibility of music have expanded with the advent of digital platforms and streaming services. This has led to a wide range of musical choices and increased exposure to various genres. Popularity often builds around music that is easily accessible, heavily promoted, or frequently heard on the radio, which may lead to a larger following for those genres.
3. Evolving Musical Styles: Musical aesthetics and styles have continued to evolve and diversify. Many younger artists may draw inspiration from a wide range of genres but reinterpret them in a contemporary context that resonates more with the current generation's tastes. The focus on concise songs, catchier hooks, and a more instant gratification experience in the digital age might not align with the longer and more intricate compositions commonly found in progressive rock.
4. Peer Influence and Social Dynamics: Musical preferences can be influenced by social interactions and peer groups. Younger individuals tend to develop their musical tastes based on what they are exposed to within their immediate social circles. If progressive rock is not widely appreciated or popular among their peers, it may not gain as much traction or resonance with the younger audience.
It is important to remember that musical preference is highly individual and subjective. While progressive rock may not be as popular among Zoomers or the younger generation as it once was, there are still individuals within that age group who appreciate and enjoy the genre. Taste in music varies greatly among individuals, and it is important to respect and embrace diversity in musical preferences."

This resonates with me as well!   

Let's consider history - how many young folks are into big-band jazz, barbershop quartet, or other passed musical trends that once were huge?   

Prog is no different, and ChatBot pretty much nailed it.  Us old prog-heads sitting around talking about it is like my father's generation talking about their music in World War 2!  

The good news is that I'm seeing more traditional prog instrumentation being used onstage (guitar, bass, drums, keys) by contemporary acts.  Guitar was an endangered species for a while, and synth almost wiped out bass guitar in the 1980s.  

Don't worry, some young prog artist/artists will come along and capture the imagination of the Zoomers!  They might even have dancers!  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 21:41
^Ugh, Dancers

This is why I'd like to make it my mission to keep up with the 'Music and Musicians' exchange thread, while it's not very popular, aspiring artists do stop by there occasionally (including myself) and ask for thoughts on their work. Encouraging the youth to create music of all kinds is always good, and now it's easier than ever

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 23:30
Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

I'd venture to say most Gen Z folks have never really heard good music. As Steven Wilson said:

Hear the sound of music drifting in the aisles
Elevator prozac stretching on for miles
The music of the future will not entertain
It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain
And your venture would be in folly. Plenty of them listen to great music and, shockingly, it's not all prog. Nor is it all Ed Sheeran. It's almost as if music listening trends are not solely (or even mainly) influenced by generation.

Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 23:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Don't worry, some young prog artist/artists will come along and capture the imagination of the Zoomers!  They might even have dancers!  LOL
That's the thing. Plenty have, with no dancers in sight.

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 00:32
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I don't know, a contemporary version of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" replete with dancers might be amazing!   Think of songs like "The Colony of Slippermen!" 

I'd like to see Lady Gaga in this version, she is an amazing keyboard player/vocalist!!   She's also a New Yorker! 

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 04:42
I was born in the 80s, and all I listen to is music before I was born, mostly prog, especially as I get older, but I also like to expand in general just to have a larger palette, as opposed to listening to the same stuff.

I do have younger cousins, and they love early Chicago, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Supertramp, and they play it in their cars with other people, and a mutual friend was asking "Who is THIS?" (Carol of Harvest) and will check it out...

If you take a little bit of time and try to show them some 70s prog that THEY would like, they'll spread it.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 06:20

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I don't know, a contemporary version of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" replete with dancers might be amazing!   Think of songs like "The Colony of Slippermen!" 

HI,

The Internet is helping the "individual" a lot more than it is, let's say, an art scene, which is going to make it difficult to have mixed media things on it, is my take.

I was trying hard, and did succeed with lights and sound when I was directing in theater, to create something new ... with the sounds, and the lights a major part of the atmosphere and the event itself. In one play, the far out lights and colors were reserved for the moments when the "dog" talked to his master. In another play, the music "conducted" the beginning and the ending of the play (Escuriel by Michel de Ghelderode) ... and got the comment by a professor, that he didn't come to the theater to see loud music! 

How times change ... and this was 1980, and he was obviously out of his element ... and not in touch with the arts of the day at all ... he still thought that acting was all TV styled poses for the camera to get the face shot! So, a lot of it has to do with the instructors, and sometimes, this is where I am opposed to the "tenure" thing, since it tends to simply keep the old guard ... doing nothing of worth while artistic work that helps the art form.

The "zoomers" will get into progressive, jazz, or something else ... the moment they get tired of hearing the same growl over and over and over and folks keep keep adding more of them to the top releases. This time, that growl is about the Bible, of course! Tomorrow about __________ !

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 08:09

What chatbot was that?

I'd say, the explanation given is good, but could be better regarding the ideological aspects.

-------------

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 08:24

Which is sort of how I got into prog, as in high school in the early 70's it was the cool music genre to be into. Initially I found it a bit of a steep learning curve, but once I'd heard 'Meddle' and CTTE, that was it - I was hooked*!

*for life or so it would seem

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 20:34

There is music that is technical and original, complex, but is it 'better'? since it's opinionated 

For me "good" music is music that fits (suits) the circumstance, and "bad" music is music that doesn't fit (suit) the circumstance.

Is "The Chicken Dance" bad music? Well it seems to fit in with wedding receptions for the most part.

I wouldn't think that too many people at that same wedding reception would appreciate ""Larks Tongues in Aspic" no matter what part.

Now, if the listener were stoned ...

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 20:44

^Ugh, Dancers

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 23:09

^Ugh, Dancers
What on earth is wrong with dancers? I would LOVE if black midi brought along the seven dancers(!) in this video along on tour.

-------------

Posted By: pistacchioso
Date Posted: February 10 2024 at 16:00
I think the question is more like "Why aren't most people into progressive rock". I cannot think of a single generation that is "into progressive rock". It's a nice genre. Most people tend to consume accessible media: accessible movies attract more people that avant-garde one, accessible books sell more than essays about obscure philosophers of the '700 and so on.
And prog rock is not an accessible music genre.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 10 2024 at 21:12
When Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick was released in 1972, a few-minute edited version of it was played on the radio. I did not like this version. In retrospect, I think it represents why I was not into progressive rock at that age. It was hard rock that appealed to me at that time, whereas prog was too folky for me. It wasn't until seven years later that I first listened to the whole album, and was impressed with how much it rocked.

I need my prog to rock about as much as I need my rock to prog.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: STRSHPS
Date Posted: February 11 2024 at 19:05
That's just not true. I know many zoomers in my area who are into progressive rock. But the majority seem to reside in forums like Reddit and many others. Some might choose the predictable choice of Pink Floyd, but I know some who are into Zappa, ELP, Gentle Giant, etc. AND I know some who are into both pop hits and prog classics like I am.

-------------
Yes, you can like prog AND pop at the same time. LIKE ME!

Posted By: STRSHPS
Date Posted: February 11 2024 at 19:10
Originally posted by pistacchioso pistacchioso wrote:

I think the question is more like "Why aren't most people into progressive rock". I cannot think of a single generation that is "into progressive rock". It's a nice genre. Most people tend to consume accessible media: accessible movies attract more people that avant-garde one, accessible books sell more than essays about obscure philosophers of the '700 and so on.

My friend, I'm just curious. What is your personal definition of "an accessible music genre"? What are you basing this on?

-------------
Yes, you can like prog AND pop at the same time. LIKE ME!

Posted By: pistacchioso
Date Posted: February 19 2024 at 01:11
Originally posted by STRSHPS STRSHPS wrote:

Originally posted by pistacchioso pistacchioso wrote:

My friend, I'm just curious. What is your personal definition of "an accessible music genre"? What are you basing this on?

I'm not sure I get your question. You're asking be what's my definition of accessible music because you think PR is accessible and I think not?

Accessible music is the music "that's most easy to listen to" to the most people I'm not sure what to say, really, because I tought this was quite a widespread truth based solely on "facts"? Most people listen to the music that's most "accessible" to them. You take this https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/" rel="nofollow - week's top listened to songs they're all 3 minut pieces with some singer taking the stage, a 4/4 beat and so on. That's what is objectively accessible. There are no 12 minute instrumental pieces with tempo and time signature changes every two bars, with endless solos, a mixture of jazz, folk, rock, classical music.

This is true for basically any week since forever, even when PR was most widespread than its is today. Even when Progressive Rock put out some popular hits like Tubular Bells, when went on air was a 3:15 minute "radio version" made to render "more accessible" a 20 minute piece.

Date Posted: February 19 2024 at 02:58
The accessibility of prog varies from listener to listener, so IMO it's not really possible to determine if prog is in fact accessible.

Besides, prog as a genre is really broad so in the enormous ocean of progressive rock releases you can find stuff that's "accessible" to say, someone who isn't a big prog geek... or something that is inaccessible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't like using that term personally because of its vague and highly contextual meaning. I'd rather say that something is "harmonically complex" or "features frequent time signature changes, polyrhythms, counterpoints et al." because that way my description conveys more information.

-------------
— Ernest Vong

Date Posted: February 19 2024 at 07:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

When Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick was released in 1972, a few-minute edited version of it was played on the radio. I did not like this version. In retrospect, I think it represents why I was not into progressive rock at that age. It was hard rock that appealed to me at that time, whereas prog was too folky for me. It wasn't until seven years later that I first listened to the whole album, and was impressed with how much it rocked.

Hi,

It wasn't the last of the edited and cut up versions of any material at the time, however that was coming to an end, in 2 ways ... one it killed the "banded" LP given to radio stations (a couple more years) and then it ended up hurting the sales of albums with long cuts.

We had around the house, many of these big time LP's cut up in portions ... they included CTTE, TFTO, APP, TAAB, a couple of Rush things (I don't know Rush intimately!), THE DOORS, FOCUS, and many other albums. The worst, and most offensive of these "banded" pieces of music, was, OF COURSE ... Light My Fire, that the AM radio played and it was less than half its normal length. A DJ in Madison at one time even commented how stupid the organ stuff sounded in the long versions! (Believe it or not, this would sound like some folks here on PA these days ... that love their thrashing and growling, but hate extended string/keyboard material they "don't understand"!).

My take is that Zoomers, or anyone else, hasn't grown up "into music" ... at all ... otherwise the idea that it was progressive, baroque, romantic, whatever "style" would make no difference whatsoever ... but it does show the stuff that so many kids are exposed to ... and its violence to the idea of listening to music, instead of just a bunch of songs!

In my book/bok this is the music companies revenge for losing so many folks to their individual controls, and the fake and weird "numbers" that supposedly show the number 1 (Hello Virgin!!!) , pretty much says that the music companies do have enough control to make some money ... why show the numbers if they were losing? Yeah, I'm sure we get it!

I like to say/think that the state of FM radio in America, corporate owned, is the main problem, because what they play is very limited, and 50 years ago, you KNEW there was music in Detroit, Chicago, West Coast, East Coast and later Pacific NW. Today, it all sounds the same, and you really don't know much about the musicians, where they come from, and if they even are musicians. I don't dislike "rap", but there are many times when I question ... is this music? I'm not sure it is, or should be considered music!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk