Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why aren't most Zoomers into progressive rock?
    Posted: January 17 2024 at 16:11
As a Zoomer myself, I think the reason why Zoomers aren't really into progressive rock that much is because of the fact that most of its history surrounds itself in the 70s and '80s. I don't think it has anything to do with Zoomers getting dumber because that's a reactionary stereotype, however. It's essentially the fact that they wouldn't know the foundational prog bands because they don't really listen to music like that.

What do y'all think?

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 16:19
As a zoomer, I think most of my peers brains can't handle it Tongue

They have no attention spans 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 17:28
I really don't think the disregard for prog, or anything off the beaten path for that matter, is a unique trait to any one generation.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 18:30
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 18:59
Zoomer??
Is that anything like a Groomer?
Or perhaps a Tumour?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:03
'Zoomer' (Gen Z) is the term for those who experienced the Covid Lockdown during schooling and had to use the video calling website Zoom to be taught and communicate, etc. 

The new generation who weren't quite old enough to experience this are called Gen Alpha

I think that's correct. I'm part of Gen Z / The Zoomers, so I feel qualified to answer this

(And yes, it's a play on 'Boomer' before you ask) 

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:33
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

As a zoomer, I think most of my peers brains can't handle it Tongue

They have no attention spans 

I concur. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:41
I've lost more than one proggin friend to Indie, which is an alright Genre, I can appreciate it. Even there, there are some elements of Psych and Maybe even hints of prog here and there. Whenever I listen to it, one could hear these influences. 

Mac DeMarco (a name I NEVER thought I'd mention on this site) owes a lot of his influence to some bands like Steve Miller, I've even seen him use a 12 string on a track or two. 

A lot of it's pop/rock, but imo it's better than a lot of really mainstream stuff. Some of the Indie-Folk stuff I quite enjoy, stuff like Mumford and Sons, very talented individuals, just not my style

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:54
I'm a Gen Z-er but one of the early ones (born '96).
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 19:54
I think the inaccessible nature of prog (on the whole, obviously it's a spectrum) makes it unpalatable to most people regardless of their generation. Contrary to what you're saying, I know more people that are around my age (I'm a Z-llenial, sort of transitional) that like eclectic music than those I know who are older that enjoy the same. That being said, most of them are musicians like me. So I think that helps, as prog and many of its associated genres (or unrelated ones that certain prog connoiseurs tend to enjoy in the jazz, metal, classical, electronic, modernist, etc. vein) tend to appeal more to people who also make music. Not exclusively, of course. But that's my experience.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 23:40
The default position for any generation is to not to care about music that is art based. There are plenty of boomers with horrible music taste to go round. A good tune is more important to the vast majority but that may be because they don't know any different. Arguably Prog rock as a movememt was an abhorration or one time deal that had to be spoon fed through albums like DSOTM and Crime Of The Century for the populace to understand it. Even the supposedly high minded Rolling Stone mag failed to 'get' it when they decided that ITCOTCK was just pretentious junk. Inevitably prog was discarded very easily when some idiots (the cabal that is the music industry) decided that punk was the future instead. That was a lot easier to sell and they didn't need to work hard to do it. You didn't even need to find people who could play an instrument properly.

Further on I don't think there is any reason for modern equivalents of prog to be recognised. It's not even about attention span. I have a terrible attention span and always have. The music industry is by far the biggest problem. It does nothing and Spocks Beard even wrote a song (a very long song!) about this but no one is literally listening and that's a horrible irony just in itself. Zoomers will find their own way good or bad. If they care about music they will find something good, and it may be in Rap or Hip Hop rather than so called 'prog' which barely exists as a thing anyway. Prog as a movement hasn't existed for a long time. It's part of history and it would need to be taught at schools to get a wider appreciation. I'm guessing that DSOTM is still the go to prog album for any generation but it's only going to scatch the surface. 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 02:09
^ Not only Spock's Beard Smile

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 03:00
Because Zoomers are Doomers about good tastes & colours?Evil Smile 

Clown
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 05:01
Perhaps some zoomers are turned off by the fact that Prog can and will get busy or become complex? Although a lot of zoomers may enjoy FAIRYTAIL..the original soundtrack by YASUHARU TAKANASHI which we are reminded of Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, Goblin..etc.

Because we are living in a completely different world. A world where video game soundtracks are taken as seriously as ELP were in 1973...

Yet this completely different world will often acknowledge Jimmy Page as a important figure from my generation while being dismissive of many other innovators from the 60s and
70s.

Does that even make any sense? Page was originally liked alongside everyone else in the early 70s. That's an actual fact. But the information circulating now apparently this is all made up B.S. Complete exaggeration through journalism for whatever pointless reason.

A lot of zoomers are spoon fed by Prog reviewers on YouTube who weren't born in the later 50s or early 60s and have no realization of what Prog meant to the youth in those times. Many of them have negative points to make about all the positive things we experienced in our youth and a lot of positive points to make about the things that many people found insignificant in those times.

They seem so certain. So confident. So confused and wrong. Is there any reason to believe what they're saying? Is it a slippery slope to not believe in this made up bs? No it isnt...that's called reasoning

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:34
I teach music to a lot of young people. Today's youngster is not much into bands or live music. Go to your local live music club and you will see mostly middle-aged and older.
Most young people I know are into music you can do by yourself with a phone, ipad or computer. They like electronica, rap, hip-hop, video game soundtracks etc. I quit teaching guitar because few kids want to rock out anymore.
Oddly enough, playing a band instrument and getting in the school marching band still has its appeal and I still get a lot of students on saxophone and flute because of that. I still have a lot of piano students too who like a wide variety of music including classical.

Edited by Easy Money - January 18 2024 at 07:37
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:39
My younger daughter is a zoomer. She sings while listening to Pink Floyd's Time and wanted Radiohead's OK Computer vynil for Xmas. (I'm not a Radiohead fan, she hasn't heard them from me). She loves Nirvana (Kobain's, not the old prog band) that's not prog but before her time as well.

The problem is not the age, but the eventual presence of void between the ears.

While writing I'm listening to Steve Miller's Band "Brave New World". I was 7 years old when it was released.

Said so, I have to say that "mythology" has always been fundamental. Listening or reading about bigs of the past has always been influential in every epoch, but only to people with open minds and novoid between the ears.

Then, there's also people without voids but with no interest in music, it's "legal". I have no interest in dance or sculpture, that's my void.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
duchamp View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:42
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I teach music to a lot of young people. Today's youngster is not much into bands or live music. Go to your local live music club and you will see mostly middle-aged and older.
Most young people I know are into music you can do by yourself with a phone, ipad or computer. They like electronica, rap, hip-hop, video game soundtracks etc. I quit teaching guitar because few kids want to rock out anymore.
Oddly enough, playing a band instrument and getting in the school marching band still has its appeal and I still get a lot of students on saxophone and flute because of that. I still have a lot of piano students too who like a wide variety of music including classical.
but isn't it great that music technology has increased in accessibility? it has never been easier to create stunning works of art, imo, and there is a lot of great music out there today, simply because of the internets ability 2 make DAWS easier to download n learn
duchamp View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duchamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The default position for any generation is to not to care about music that is art based. There are plenty of boomers with horrible music taste to go round. A good tune is more important to the vast majority but that may be because they don't know any different. Arguably Prog rock as a movememt was an abhorration or one time deal that had to be spoon fed through albums like DSOTM and Crime Of The Century for the populace to understand it. Even the supposedly high minded Rolling Stone mag failed to 'get' it when they decided that ITCOTCK was just pretentious junk. Inevitably prog was discarded very easily when some idiots (the cabal that is the music industry) decided that punk was the future instead. That was a lot easier to sell and they didn't need to work hard to do it. You didn't even need to find people who could play an instrument properly.

Further on I don't think there is any reason for modern equivalents of prog to be recognised. It's not even about attention span. I have a terrible attention span and always have. The music industry is by far the biggest problem. It does nothing and Spocks Beard even wrote a song (a very long song!) about this but no one is literally listening and that's a horrible irony just in itself. Zoomers will find their own way good or bad. If they care about music they will find something good, and it may be in Rap or Hip Hop rather than so called 'prog' which barely exists as a thing anyway. Prog as a movement hasn't existed for a long time. It's part of history and it would need to be taught at schools to get a wider appreciation. I'm guessing that DSOTM is still the go to prog album for any generation but it's only going to scatch the surface. 
actually, i do think that prog still exists, but its not a singular movement. its more a diverse array of styles n approaches that can't really be boxed into one scene
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 08:19
Here are a few of the multiple reasons why Gen-Z is less likely to embrace Prog/Jazz/Classical.  

Language.  Gen-Z communicates more via texting.  Gen-Z lacks verbal and aural stimulation/experiences.  Their verbal skills are stunted and muted.  Employers constantly complain that Gen-Z have difficulty expressing themselves verbally.  Their musical tastes are influenced by the complexity of their verbal/aural experience. 

Short Attention span.  I-phones, media, and social media shortened attention spans. Complex music requires extended attention spans.

Environmental interaction structures brains. I've observed this as my personal experience. When I was Gen-Z's age I didn't listen exclusively to Prog/Jazz/Classical music. I also listened to less complex Pop and rock. As the years passed, my brain got bored with predictable Pop/rock.  Now, my brain craves complex time signatures and surprising shifts in my aural milieu.  It's a function of the human evolution of the brain.  When I go to the beach, I hear the waves from my beach house.  At a primitive level, my brain notices the new aural input. Evolution makes the brain notice changes in the environment. Is this ocean wave sound dangerous?  Does this ocean wave sound signal new enriched resources?  After a day or two, the brain filters out the conscious sound of the waves because it doesn't signal danger or new resources.  Of course, I can still hear the waves...if I focus.  Back to music.  Prog, jazz, and classical stimulate my brain to take notice because my brain detects nuances in the sounds that are novel. My brain hasn't heard that exact tone, melody, rhythm, or sequence of time signature changes before.   My brain is stimulated.   

What is my point?  Some members of Gen-Z will gravitate toward Progressive music as they age.  This will probably be a function of their personality.  Audodidacts, hedonists, information junkies, and people who naturally sieve a higher proportion of the environment via thinking versus those who experience more of the environment through their instincts and emotions. Wink

There are other reasons that Gen-Z doesn't listen to prog.  Consider that Jethro Tull's album "A Passion Play" spent a week at #1 number one.  Gen-Z isn't exposed to such complex music. They won't feel the nostalgic pull of complex music and variety that previous generations experienced. 

I wonder what percentage of Gen-Z play in high school band or take music lessons as compared to the past?  I don't know the answer.  I know I played clarinet from 6th grade through 12th grade. I imagine that a higher percentage of musicians are drawn to prog...especially ones who form bands after high school.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 18 2024 at 08:56
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 09:13
Originally posted by duchamp duchamp wrote:

As a Zoomer myself, I think the reason why Zoomers aren't really into progressive rock that much is because of the fact that most of its history surrounds itself in the 70s and '80s. I don't think it has anything to do with Zoomers getting dumber because that's a reactionary stereotype, however. It's essentially the fact that they wouldn't know the foundational prog bands because they don't really listen to music like that.

What do y'all think?

Hi,

I don't have an answer but I think that every generation has the same problem. A lot of it has to do with the media ... the 60's took place because there was a lot of vital, and different media around to help create a new scene. Nowadays, the media is all controlled by the same folks, and there is no alternative publication as we found 50 years ago.

The Internet, I originally thought, was going to be the great leveller that helped maintain what the alternative media outlets did in the 60's ... but intest, it has become a commercial junkyard with so much misinformation and a lot of advertising, making it look like something is great ... and sadly enough, there is no alternative media that fights that because the majority of Internet outlets are owned by the media ... and the shock stuff and the pod-craps are not helping ... some are good, but some are nuts and not very good at all, but they fill a niche that I think could be called the "lemmingmania" of the Internet. 

I, honestly, think that a lot of that stuff is done intentionally so that you, as a listener, can not make a decision as to something being good or better, or the like ... the minute you think you found your words for this or that, a day later you find something that breaks up what you thought ... and that makes it really hard to deal with tastes and scenes ... which is another story ... you can see all the listings and numbers about new this and that ... and none of them are a part of a real artistic scene, and that is a sign of things that won't go very far ... the 60's was an artistic scene, with film (rock was 10 years behind!!!), theater, literature and all the arts ... today ... almost nothing! It's like the "art" of it all is hidden, or doesn't exist ... which (0f course) only makes everyone thing that in the end, it is all just pop music ... so yeah ... numbers everyone!

It's about us ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>