Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Fall" of the great prog-metal bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:05

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I have some problems declaring Queensryche one of the great prog-metal bands, if only because they've got one album that I would seriously consider prog.  I actually consider Octavarium the least awful recording I've heard from DT thus far (), and can't say anything about newer Fates Warning as I haven't heard their recent recordings.

That said, prog-metal fans need to look beyond the genre's "major" bands.

speaking of which, maybe it's about time you change your avatar?

Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:11
Fates Warning is getting better year by year. Apsog was better than FWX, but the three newest albums are all in my top 3 fave Fates' albums.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:50

I have some problems declaring Queensryche one of the great prog-metal bands, if only because they've got one album that I would seriously consider prog.  I actually consider Octavarium the least awful recording I've heard from DT thus far (), and can't say anything about newer Fates Warning as I haven't heard their recent recordings.

well that's for sure

Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:59
Im not sure on fates warning as I don't no any of their stuff but DT are back on form with Ocatvarium and the only Queensryche album I know is operation mind-crime that was purely a prog-metal album. Yet I do agree that most progmetallers should look out side the big names to bands like Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X, Planet X, Pagan's Mind, Secret Spere, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Orphaned land (if you can find any of their stuff coz I can't an they are playing progpowerUK this march and Id like to hear them so I know what they are about), even Dragonforce etc.

Edited by Space Dimentia
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:02
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

speaking of which, maybe it's about time you change your avatar?

I think that while it makes much sense to expand your taste and listen to smaller bands, maybe also "quirkier" music, weird stuff etc., we shouldn't leave the big names behind. I'm always happy when I find another extreme metal band with really cool music, but that does not diminish my appreciation for stellar albums like Opeth - Blackwater Park in any way.

But you do have a point ... I like to change my avatar frequently to promote smaller bands. Expect another change later today!

Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:24

Originally posted by Space Dimentia Space Dimentia wrote:

I do agree that most progmetallers should look out side the big names to bands like Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X, Planet X, Pagan's Mind, Secret Spere, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Orphaned land

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be enough time. Say you cover 10 major players and you get 3 albums from each (which isn't a lot) and you buy 1 CD a week (which is quite a lot), it would take you well over a half a year just to cover that. And if you are spending time looking into other genres outside prog metal then it takes even longer. Life's too short - not to mention the finances!

TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:26

Scenes from a Memory is the only truly great DT album. The albums before it all have great moments - but that's not enough to make a great album.

After Scenes came 6DOIT, which is very "Interesting" but I wouldn't say it's a good album. Train of Thought has Stream of Consciousness which is mind-blowing and In the Name of God which is fairly OK but not outstanding, the rest of Train of Thought is bad. Dream Theater have never sounded more like Metallica ... Their not very good at being "angry" either! Octavarium is bad too, except for the title track which is very good.

I'd definitely say they are on their way down.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

I do agree that most progmetallers should look out side the big names to bands like Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X, Planet X, Pagan's Mind, Secret Spere, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Orphaned land

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be enough time. Say you cover 10 major players and you get 3 albums from each (which isn't a lot) and you buy 1 CD a week (which is quite a lot), it would take you well over a half a year just to cover that. And if you are spending time looking into other genres outside prog metal then it takes even longer. Life's too short - not to mention the finances!

Look for online services that allow you to listen to samples or even full songs/albums. Check my database at www.mikeenregalia.com ... more than 500 full songs for you to listen to. If you listen to one song for each band it doesn't take too long to check out the "major minor" bands.

And try using online music services which stream you songs based on recommendations ... Yahoo Music or www.last.fm . Trust me, it works!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:49
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Scenes from a Memory is the only truly great DT album. The albums before it all have great moments - but that's not enough to make a great album.

After Scenes came 6DOIT, which is very "Interesting" but I wouldn't say it's a good album. Train of Thought has Stream of Consciousness which is mind-blowing and In the Name of God which is fairly OK but not outstanding, the rest of Train of Thought is bad. Dream Theater have never sounded more like Metallica ... Their not very good at being "angry" either! Octavarium is bad too, except for the title track which is very good.

Stream of Consciousness is my 2nd least favorite song from ToT ... only Honor Thy Father is worse. But they're both solid 3s in terms of the prog archives rating system ...

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 11:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

Look for online services that allow you to listen to samples or even full songs/albums. Check my database at www.mikeenregalia.com ... more than 500 full songs for you to listen to. If you listen to one song for each band it doesn't take too long to check out the "major minor" bands.

And try using online music services which stream you songs based on recommendations ... Yahoo Music or www.last.fm . Trust me, it works!

I must admit that this is an incredible source for music

well done Mike

As another member of the forum suggested, www.pandora.com is also very very good

xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:15
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

Images & Words was bad? what kind of crack are you on? Is it pink and flavored, because even normal crack couldent get me to think I&W was anything but spectacular, so the crack would inherently be pink.

And as for Octavarium, its not great, its not even that good, but you havr to admit 2 things.

1.The concept is deep and intricite

2.Its better than FII.

Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Stream of Consciousness is my 2nd least favorite song from ToT ... only Honor Thy Father is worse. But they're both solid 3s in terms of the prog archives rating system ...

Agreed on Honor Thy Father, but there are a few I dislike more than Stream of Consciousness (As I Am from the very same album comes to mind).
Rising Force View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by Suki Suki wrote:

Originally posted by Rising Force Rising Force wrote:

It's ok, we have Symphony X and Planet X now. 

I agree with the Symphony X remark, but I 'strangely' don't see why I haven't read even one bad review on Planet X. I've heard Moonbabies, I listed to it only one time and it was already enough. I hate the sound of the keyboard, the guitar solos bores me to death and the keyboard solos are that great either.. I however cannot deny that they are pretty creative.

another good metal band which deserves to be mentioned here is Pain of Salvation.

It sounds like you should listen to Moonbabies some more, IMO, because there are a lot of awesome guitar and keyboard work on that album. Ignotus Per Ignotium has one of the most beautiful guitar solos ever (the solo around eight and a half minutes into the track), also, heavy riffs and a kick ass drum solo. The Noble Savage also has some pretty good solos and riffs from T-Mac. Micronesia has some pretty good keyboard on it. And there's some sick guitar and keyboard work in Moonbabies and 70 Vir. And then there's some really complex stuff, like Ataraxia, Interlude in Milan, and Ground Zero. It's a space metal masterpiece. However, I understand if you don't like it, 'cause Planet X is definetly not for everybody. But Moonbabies is more fusion oriented and all around tighter CD, while Universe is more agressive and has more hooks, so maybe you'd like that more.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:24
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Originally posted by Rising Force Rising Force wrote:

It's ok, we have Symphony X and Planet X now. 

yes, we do have Symphony X, but Planet X....

Have you ever heard Planet X, man? They are crazyyyyy.

IcedSabbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:25

Queensryche = Not prog to my ears.

Dream Theater = Crappy, fake "metal" chug riffs and annoying vocals...They were never good to begin with, IMO. Train of Thought is one of the most heinous things I've ever listened to, and what I've heard of Octavarium isn't so hot either.

If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

The only Fates Warning I have is Perfect Symmetry, and it's killer; I'm not going to comment on their latest output.

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:49

Like in a marketplace... Everybody is shouting and trying to force their argument through the rest. Great Job! Talk bout ruining a good thread

pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:03

Planet X is infinitely better than Symphony X.

And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:05
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

It's close between both bands, for me. But I like Planet X more, too.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:14
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

"infinitesimally" is more like it.

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by xjester xjester wrote:

Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

Images & Words was bad? what kind of crack are you on? Is it pink and flavored, because even normal crack couldent get me to think I&W was anything but spectacular, so the crack would inherently be pink.

And as for Octavarium, its not great, its not even that good, but you havr to admit 2 things.

1.The concept is deep and intricite

2.Its better than FII.

well done mate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>