"Fall" of the great prog-metal bands?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17353
Printed Date: June 17 2024 at 09:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Fall" of the great prog-metal bands?
Posted By: aapatsos
Subject: "Fall" of the great prog-metal bands?
Date Posted: January 12 2006 at 21:05

The three major prog-metal bands are considered to be (at least in Greece)

and as far as my humble knowledge of prog-metal is concerned:

Queensryche

Fates Warning

Dream Theater

all of them IMO are the greatest influences for new prog-metal bands.

Do you think there has been a drop in the quality of their recent recordings?

I would say yes. Queensryche have stopped producing good music in 1994, Fates Warning dissapointed me with their last two albums after the excellent Apsog and Dream Theater are not up to their standards after Metropolis pt.2 with the exception of some very good moments in Train of thought. Well, that's my point of view...

Replies:
Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 00:59
I have some problems declaring Queensryche one of the great prog-metal bands, if only because they've got one album that I would seriously consider prog.  I actually consider Octavarium the least awful recording I've heard from DT thus far (), and can't say anything about newer Fates Warning as I haven't heard their recent recordings.

That said, prog-metal fans need to look beyond the genre's "major" bands.

Posted By: Rising Force
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 01:01
It's ok, we have Symphony X and Planet X now. 

Posted By: VanBuren
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 01:58
and king's x and brand x and...yeah sorry

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 03:05

I don't think that Fates Warning is declining. FWX is maybe inferior to A Pleasant Shade of Gray but it's still a verx good album. Better than the last 2 albums by Dream Theater who seem to be ran out

of ideas. They have only some great moments on TOT and Octavarium and a lot of the material has been already released by them(or by someone else...).

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 03:08
Queennsryche is not really my cup of tea and  neither is Opeth, altough I like some songs by both bands. My favourite active prog. metal band is Pain of Salvation.

Posted By: Hierophant
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 03:28
Originally posted by Rising Force Rising Force wrote:

Planet X makes Dream Theater sound like blink 182

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 03:34
Originally posted by Hierophant Hierophant wrote:

Damn straight.

Posted By: Lindsay Lohan
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 03:34

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Fjuffe/?chartstyle=sideRed - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/sideRed/recenttracks/Fjuffe.gif -

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 04:20
I think Octavarium is one of Dream Theater's best ever albums. I would call it a return to form.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: Pafnutij
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 04:51

Not  familiar with Fates Warning, but the little Queensryche I've heard  is neither good nor prog.

Don't worry about DT though, if they do another album, it'll  certainly be an improvement - you can't possiby make anything worse than Octavarium.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 05:54

Octavarium is not a bad album, but I think it's really not nearly as creative as any of the previous ones. Production is top, riffs are top, drumming is top ... but for some reason it won't "connect" with me. I noticed the same effect in other top albums of various genres: Aerosmith - Get a Grip, RHCP - One Hot Minute, The Prodigy - Fat of the Land. These albums are all very good, and I love individual songs, but somehow the albums seem over-produced and "forced".

Back to the original topic: Most bands have a creative "peak" that lasts a few years. After that they either disband, change direction completely (= the become another band) or just become mediocre. That happened for example to Queensryche. They were brilliant on Operation: Mindcrime, Empire and Promised Land. But other than dinosaurs, the music of such bands prevails even if the band fades away.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Nazgul
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 06:04
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

I think Octavarium is one of Dream Theater's best ever albums. I would call it a return to form.

I can not agree with you IMO Octavarium is wrost I ever hear from DT. After two weeks Octavarium gets place on shelf where are albums wich I dont listening.
Some people likes octavarium but I can't uderstand why?

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 07:10
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

Not  familiar with Fates Warning, but the little Queensryche I've heard  is neither good nor prog.

Don't worry about DT though, if they do another album, it'll  certainly be an improvement - you can't possiby make anything worse than Octavarium.

I think Octavarium is a bit of improvement,because it's better than TOT, but they need to improve more to return to form.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 07:42

Originally posted by Nazgul Nazgul wrote:

I can not agree with you IMO Octavarium is wrost I ever hear from DT. After two weeks Octavarium gets place on shelf where are albums wich I dont listening.

I can't understand why it's disliked so much. It's heavy with great melodies and a lot better than Ghost Reveries IMHO. Opeth are the ones who've lost their way if you ask me .... right, I've opened a can of worms now ....

-------------

Posted By: Suki
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:18

I agree with the Symphony X remark, but I 'strangely' don't see why I haven't read even one bad review on Planet X. I've heard Moonbabies, I listed to it only one time and it was already enough. I hate the sound of the keyboard, the guitar solos bores me to death and the keyboard solos are that great either.. I however cannot deny that they are pretty creative.

another good metal band which deserves to be mentioned here is Pain of Salvation.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:28
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

are we talking about the same albums????

images and words and awake......fairly eh bad.....?

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:31
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Octavarium is not a bad album, but I think it's really not nearly as creative as any of the previous ones. Production is top, riffs are top, drumming is top ... but for some reason it won't "connect" with me. I noticed the same effect in other top albums of various genres: Aerosmith - Get a Grip, RHCP - One Hot Minute, The Prodigy - Fat of the Land. These albums are all very good, and I love individual songs, but somehow the albums seem over-produced and "forced".

Back to the original topic: Most bands have a creative "peak" that lasts a few years. After that they either disband, change direction completely (= the become another band) or just become mediocre. That happened for example to Queensryche. They were brilliant on Operation: Mindcrime, Empire and Promised Land. But other than dinosaurs, the music of such bands prevails even if the band fades away.

you got my point

I don't say that they have created BAD albums (except from Queensryche-last ones are bad)

but there is a lack of inspiration

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:32

yes, we do have Symphony X, but Planet X....

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:34
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

you should listen more than this 'little' to get a better overview

as for DT I'm still optimistc that they will improve

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:05

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I have some problems declaring Queensryche one of the great prog-metal bands, if only because they've got one album that I would seriously consider prog.  I actually consider Octavarium the least awful recording I've heard from DT thus far (), and can't say anything about newer Fates Warning as I haven't heard their recent recordings.

speaking of which, maybe it's about time you change your avatar?

Posted By: Dalezilla
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:11
Fates Warning is getting better year by year. Apsog was better than FWX, but the three newest albums are all in my top 3 fave Fates' albums.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:50

well that's for sure

Posted By: Space Dimentia
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 09:59
Im not sure on fates warning as I don't no any of their stuff but DT are back on form with Ocatvarium and the only Queensryche album I know is operation mind-crime that was purely a prog-metal album. Yet I do agree that most progmetallers should look out side the big names to bands like Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X, Planet X, Pagan's Mind, Secret Spere, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Orphaned land (if you can find any of their stuff coz I can't an they are playing progpowerUK this march and Id like to hear them so I know what they are about), even Dragonforce etc.

-------------
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:02
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

speaking of which, maybe it's about time you change your avatar?

I think that while it makes much sense to expand your taste and listen to smaller bands, maybe also "quirkier" music, weird stuff etc., we shouldn't leave the big names behind. I'm always happy when I find another extreme metal band with really cool music, but that does not diminish my appreciation for stellar albums like Opeth - Blackwater Park in any way.

But you do have a point ... I like to change my avatar frequently to promote smaller bands. Expect another change later today!

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:24

Originally posted by Space Dimentia Space Dimentia wrote:

I do agree that most progmetallers should look out side the big names to bands like Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X, Planet X, Pagan's Mind, Secret Spere, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Orphaned land

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be enough time. Say you cover 10 major players and you get 3 albums from each (which isn't a lot) and you buy 1 CD a week (which is quite a lot), it would take you well over a half a year just to cover that. And if you are spending time looking into other genres outside prog metal then it takes even longer. Life's too short - not to mention the finances!

-------------

Posted By: TheLamb
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:26

Scenes from a Memory is the only truly great DT album. The albums before it all have great moments - but that's not enough to make a great album.

After Scenes came 6DOIT, which is very "Interesting" but I wouldn't say it's a good album. Train of Thought has Stream of Consciousness which is mind-blowing and In the Name of God which is fairly OK but not outstanding, the rest of Train of Thought is bad. Dream Theater have never sounded more like Metallica ... Their not very good at being "angry" either! Octavarium is bad too, except for the title track which is very good.

I'd definitely say they are on their way down.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:47

I do agree that most progmetallers should look out side the big names to bands like Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X, Planet X, Pagan's Mind, Secret Spere, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Orphaned land

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be enough time. Say you cover 10 major players and you get 3 albums from each (which isn't a lot) and you buy 1 CD a week (which is quite a lot), it would take you well over a half a year just to cover that. And if you are spending time looking into other genres outside prog metal then it takes even longer. Life's too short - not to mention the finances!

Look for online services that allow you to listen to samples or even full songs/albums. Check my database at http://www.mikeenregalia.com - www.mikeenregalia.com ... more than 500 full songs for you to listen to. If you listen to one song for each band it doesn't take too long to check out the "major minor" bands.

And try using online music services which stream you songs based on recommendations ... Yahoo Music or http://www.last.fm - www.last.fm . Trust me, it works!

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:49
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Scenes from a Memory is the only truly great DT album. The albums before it all have great moments - but that's not enough to make a great album.

After Scenes came 6DOIT, which is very "Interesting" but I wouldn't say it's a good album. Train of Thought has Stream of Consciousness which is mind-blowing and In the Name of God which is fairly OK but not outstanding, the rest of Train of Thought is bad. Dream Theater have never sounded more like Metallica ... Their not very good at being "angry" either! Octavarium is bad too, except for the title track which is very good.

Stream of Consciousness is my 2nd least favorite song from ToT ... only Honor Thy Father is worse. But they're both solid 3s in terms of the prog archives rating system ...

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 11:32

Look for online services that allow you to listen to samples or even full songs/albums. Check my database at http://www.mikeenregalia.com - www.mikeenregalia.com ... more than 500 full songs for you to listen to. If you listen to one song for each band it doesn't take too long to check out the "major minor" bands.

And try using online music services which stream you songs based on recommendations ... Yahoo Music or http://www.last.fm - www.last.fm . Trust me, it works!

I must admit that this is an incredible source for music

well done Mike

As another member of the forum suggested, http://www.pandora.com - www.pandora.com is also very very good

Posted By: xjester
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:15

Images & Words was bad? what kind of crack are you on? Is it pink and flavored, because even normal crack couldent get me to think I&W was anything but spectacular, so the crack would inherently be pink.

And as for Octavarium, its not great, its not even that good, but you havr to admit 2 things.

1.The concept is deep and intricite

2.Its better than FII.

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:23

Stream of Consciousness is my 2nd least favorite song from ToT ... only Honor Thy Father is worse. But they're both solid 3s in terms of the prog archives rating system ...

Agreed on Honor Thy Father, but there are a few I dislike more than Stream of Consciousness (As I Am from the very same album comes to mind).

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by Suki Suki wrote:

I agree with the Symphony X remark, but I 'strangely' don't see why I haven't read even one bad review on Planet X. I've heard Moonbabies, I listed to it only one time and it was already enough. I hate the sound of the keyboard, the guitar solos bores me to death and the keyboard solos are that great either.. I however cannot deny that they are pretty creative.

another good metal band which deserves to be mentioned here is Pain of Salvation.

It sounds like you should listen to Moonbabies some more, IMO, because there are a lot of awesome guitar and keyboard work on that album. Ignotus Per Ignotium has one of the most beautiful guitar solos ever (the solo around eight and a half minutes into the track), also, heavy riffs and a kick ass drum solo. The Noble Savage also has some pretty good solos and riffs from T-Mac. Micronesia has some pretty good keyboard on it. And there's some sick guitar and keyboard work in Moonbabies and 70 Vir. And then there's some really complex stuff, like Ataraxia, Interlude in Milan, and Ground Zero. It's a space metal masterpiece. However, I understand if you don't like it, 'cause Planet X is definetly not for everybody. But Moonbabies is more fusion oriented and all around tighter CD, while Universe is more agressive and has more hooks, so maybe you'd like that more.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:24
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Have you ever heard Planet X, man? They are crazyyyyy.

Posted By: IcedSabbath
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:25

Queensryche = Not prog to my ears.

Dream Theater = Crappy, fake "metal" chug riffs and annoying vocals...They were never good to begin with, IMO. Train of Thought is one of the most heinous things I've ever listened to, and what I've heard of Octavarium isn't so hot either.

If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

The only Fates Warning I have is Perfect Symmetry, and it's killer; I'm not going to comment on their latest output.

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 15:49

Like in a marketplace... Everybody is shouting and trying to force their argument through the rest. Great Job! Talk bout ruining a good thread

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: pogoowner
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:03

Planet X is infinitely better than Symphony X.

-------------
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:05
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

It's close between both bands, for me. But I like Planet X more, too.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:14
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

"infinitesimally" is more like it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by xjester xjester wrote:

Images & Words was bad? what kind of crack are you on? Is it pink and flavored, because even normal crack couldent get me to think I&W was anything but spectacular, so the crack would inherently be pink.

And as for Octavarium, its not great, its not even that good, but you havr to admit 2 things.

1.The concept is deep and intricite

2.Its better than FII.

well done mate

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:09
Originally posted by IcedSabbath IcedSabbath wrote:

Dream Theater = Crappy, fake "metal" chug riffs and annoying vocals...They were never good to begin with, IMO. Train of Thought is one of the most heinous things I've ever listened to, and what I've heard of Octavarium isn't so hot either.

If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

The only Fates Warning I have is Perfect Symmetry, and it's killer; I'm not going to comment on their latest output.

chill out man, I think you have to find some more convincing arguments...

maybe also you haven't read the topic thoroughly, we're talking about the three major prog-metal bands (well IMO and of many others), Opeth were not here in 1983, 1986 or 1989......

Ed, are you referring to this one?

Posted By: TheLamb
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:37

Honor Thy Father is horrid. Probably one of DT's worst songs ever, if not THE worst one.. Steam of Consciousness though is one of the band's best songs. I can't accept what your saying, I know my opinion is just an opinion, but seriously dude, its Stream of Consciousness! It's GOOD!!! and even if it's not one of the band's "better songs", you must admit it's the best on ToT, Endless Sacrifice and As I Am are not much of compotition, Dying Soul is pretty bad aswel. In the Name of God is the only song that might be considered by some sober people to be better but it's still not that outstanding and SoC IS!

-------------

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:52

Yea, how could you say that? I agree that Falling into Infinity is a flop, but the other two you listed are great albums.

-------------
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:59
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Yea, how could you say that? I agree that Falling into Infinity is a flop, but the other two you listed are great albums.

Falling into Infinity is underrated. I would prefer it to Octavarium anytime.

-------------

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:03
Falling Into Infinity contains some of the best tracks Dream Theater have ever written; it's a personal favorite of mine.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:03

I can't say much about Queensryche or Fates Warning. I never really liked either of them, and consequently don't follow them. I do like some of their material, but I can't give a solid opinion on what they're doing or have done.

Dream Theater, however, I can. I think they are on a roll. None of the albums they've put out with Rudess have been bad. Dream Theater nearly reinvent themselves every record, sound-wise, but their albums still maintain the Dream Theater sound.

Train of Thought seems to get a lot of heat from fans, but I love it. It's a good, intense, album. The album has some of their finest displays of technical precision. Even if you don't like the songs, you have to appreciate the jams on that album.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:06
My main issue with Dream Theater is that they have this deep, deep love for lifting riffs from other bands.  Octavarium (the track) is meant to reference lots of bands, that's true, but does the "big ending" have to be the same "big ending" that Kansas' 'The Wall' uses? 

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:07
Explain to me how Falling into Infinity is good. It does have some commedable material, but as long as I can remember, it lacked the top-notch musicianship throughout much of the record, and it was just boring. Maybe it's time I tried again.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:09

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

My main issue with Dream Theater is that they have this deep, deep love for lifting riffs from other bands.  Octavarium (the track) is meant to reference lots of bands, that's true, but does the "big ending" have to be the same "big ending" that Kansas' 'The Wall' uses? 

My issue with Octavarium is that it is the album where they rip off other bands most blatantly, yet some people say that it is their favorite DT album or even the only DT album they like. And at the same time an album like ToT where they do few ripping off (except Metallica) gets bashed.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:10

Explain to me how Falling into Infinity is good. It does have some commedable material, but as long as I can remember, it lacked the top-notch musicianship throughout much of the record, and it was just boring. Maybe it's time I tried again.

Progressive rock isn't so much about virtuosity as it is creativity...  songs like Lines In The Sand and Trial Of Tears represent some of DT's most creative ideas and execution.

My issue with Octavarium is that it is the album where they rip off other bands most blatantly, yet some people say that it is their favorite DT album or even the only DT album they like. And at the same time an album like ToT where they do few ripping off (except Metallica) gets bashed.

Heh, yeah...  though listen to the intro to Endless Sacrifice, then the intro to Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me" and proceed to cry.

-------------

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:17

Heh, yeah...  though listen to the intro to Endless Sacrifice, then the intro to Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me" and proceed to cry.

I have 14 Michael jackson albums (Napster) but not that song ... so I can't comment. But I'm willing to bet that the similarity is accidental.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:18

Progressive rock isn't so much about virtuosity as it is creativity...  songs like Lines In The Sand and Trial Of Tears represent some of DT's most creative ideas and execution.

True, but Dream Theater has always incorporated unmatched virtuosity into their music, while still being very creative. But I guess it is only one album, and like I said, they reinvent themselves every record. That album was just one of their experiements. I've probably been viewing it the wrong way. Though now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it's a very consistent record. Songs like "You Not Me" and "Burning My Soul" aren't creative at all.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:29

I have 14 Michael jackson albums (Napster) but not that song ... so I can't comment. But I'm willing to bet that the similarity is accidental.

http://aaron.thebackground.org/giveintome.mp3 -
Decide for yourself.

-------------

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:32

I agree, and not just in terms of virtuosity, that's not the point

for me, it's creativity that is missing from this album, there are of course some exceptions...

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:04

http://aaron.thebackground.org/giveintome.mp3 -
Decide for yourself.

It makes me cry ... because Michael Jackson doesn't sing properly in tune with the guitar, not because of the similarity. The third chord is different, and the arpeggiated melody in the first chord is a commonplace melody ... free game for everyone to use.  You'll find ripped phrases on that level even on very unique sounding albums ... Fantomas for example rip off John Zorn pretty obviously (and it's ok).

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:35

I agree. Especially Trial of Tears, what a beautiful song, probably my 3rd favorite Dream Theater track of all time.

To answer the question of this thread, I don't think Prog Metal is going down. In fact, its going up. Look at these new bands!

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:45
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I agree. Especially Trial of Tears, what a beautiful song, probably my 3rd favorite Dream Theater track of all time.

To answer the question of this thread, I don't think Prog Metal is going down. In fact, its going up. Look at these new bands!

I agree, but this is not the question of this thread...

Posted By: BePinkTheater
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 20:10

Originally posted by Hierophant Hierophant wrote:

Damn straight.

I wouldnt go that far. IMO they are both incredible but totally differnet. DT is Prog  metal and it sounds like Yes fused wtih mettalica( not exactly..but it simple terms...) Planet X is Prog Fusion and sounds more like Chickcorea+ Weather Report+ dt+ LTE+ metalica( same thing, jsut simple terms...)

but as for death! I tinhk not.

-------------
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard

Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 20:46

Most of you guys know by now how i feel about DT.  I Love ToT. Stream of Conciesneces is my 2nd fav DT song (behind Home).

I Also will say that i really like Octavarium. The title track is amazing, i love These Walls for some reason, and panic attack was amazing live. the reason they reference so many bands on that album it's an extention of circular continuity (things comming full circle) by showing the influences their music came from.

And as for FII...as a whole, i cant stand it. But I love Trial of Tears., so who  knows?

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 20:56

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I agree, but this is not the question of this thread...

Oh, I know, I know, I'm just kinda all whacked up today!

Posted By: aniwolfe
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 21:28

Wanna great upcoming prog metal band? Check out Lord Of Mushrooms!!! Silly name..yet serious where it counts.

http://loloprog.free.fr/Anglais/a%20LIEN%20A.htm - http://loloprog.free.fr/Anglais/a%20LIEN%20A.htm http://www.lordofmushrooms.com -  

Posted By: OLAK!
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 22:19

I liked octavarium when i firs heard it. It was the first DT album i ever heard, and i thought it was beautiful. Oh how horribly wrong i was. Octavarium is probably the worst album i've heard by DT other than When Dream And Day Unite. It's bad for DT but if it was released by another band it would be that band's best album.

I would say TooL are a great band, constatntly getting better. So is Pain Of Salvation.

Now if one considers The Mars Volta to be metal, as some people do, then we have nothing to worry about.

-------------
When will you come convulsing to my basement?

Posted By: Rashikal
Date Posted: January 13 2006 at 22:43
opeth, mastodon, job for a cowboy, dillinger escape plan, the red chord, fantomas.... tons of awesome stuff

-------------

listen to Hella

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 05:28
The last 2 Fates Warning studio albums Disconnected (2000)and FWX (2004) were EXCELLENT - no loss in quality AT ALL

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 08:12

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

The last 2 Fates Warning studio albums Disconnected (2000)and FWX (2004) were EXCELLENT - no loss in quality AT ALL

there's a different approach

they sound a bit 'boring' to my ears, because I believe FW found this modern 'pattern' and keep repeating themselves after Apsog

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 13:49
Originally posted by OLAK! OLAK! wrote:

I liked octavarium when i firs heard it. It was the first DT album i ever heard, and i thought it was beautiful. Oh how horribly wrong i was. Octavarium is probably the worst album i've heard by DT other than When Dream And Day Unite. It's bad for DT but if it was released by another band it would be that band's best album.

I would say TooL are a great band, constatntly getting better. So is Pain Of Salvation.

Now if one considers The Mars Volta to be metal, as some people do, then we have nothing to worry about.

I dissagree. I love tool, but IMO, their cds have been going down ever since undertow. not to say thay AEnima and Lateralus wernt great, but they just dont hold up quite like undertow 

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:01

I dissagree. I love tool, but IMO, their cds have been going down ever since undertow. not to say thay AEnima and Lateralus wernt great, but they just dont hold up quite like undertow 

I disagree with your disagreement.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:05

I figured most people would, but let me also say that i feel that they have been declining, but i by no means am saying they have fallen.  I just think that heir later albums dont hold up, because undertow was so well done, they had very little room for improvment.  But let me also say that i am eagerly anticipating teir new album this year.

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:10
^ how can anyone think that Lateralus is not the best Tool album ... especially from a prog point of view? 

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:10
It seems like Tool releases an album every three to five years. What happened to the good old days when bands would release top quality albums every year or so? I don't know how you Tool fans have the patience. They are way too slow.

Posted By: moonlapse
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:18

You heard wrong

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:42

^ how can anyone think that Lateralus is not the best Tool album ... especially from a prog point of view? 

........especially from ANY POINT OF VIEW........

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:43

I AGREE THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH HIS DISAGREEMENT

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:45

Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

[QUOTE=IcedSabbath]If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

we're not talking about this exactly, read the thread

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:48

It seems like Tool releases an album every three to five years. What happened to the good old days when bands would release top quality albums every year or so? I don't know how you Tool fans have the patience. They are way too slow.

It works for me, it's better to be slow and produce very good albums every 5 years

than produce average albums every 2-3 years (I don't want to mention the name......)

Posted By: Zweck
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 15:54

Oh no you don't! The prog pee oh dubbya is naturally to be segregated from all others!

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 16:15
I really don't think the great prog-metal bands are going downhill, especially Dream theater. This thread seems like a magnet to people who now dislike these bands. It seems as though everyone is being too much like angry critics. 

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 17:25

Eh...no. Except for Scenes, Awake and Images and Words are DT's most consistent releases. And Falling into Infinity isn't as bad as some narrow-minded progheads say.

After Awake (saving Scenes), all of DT's releases have high and low points, without a single completly solid album. This is my opinion. I love the 2nd disc of SDOIT, but the first is riddled with poor artistic choices.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Eh...no. Except for Scenes, Awake and Images and Words are DT's most consistent releases. And Falling into Infinity isn't as bad as some narrow-minded progheads say.

After Awake (saving Scenes), all of DT's releases have high and low points, without a single completly solid album. This is my opinion. I love the 2nd disc of SDOIT, but the first is riddled with poor artistic choices.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 19:19
Originally posted by Zweck Zweck wrote:

Oh no you don't! The prog pee oh dubbya is naturally to be segregated from all others!

I didn't mean ANYONE'S POINT OF VIEW, I meant ANY POINT OF VIEW, not only prog...

Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 19:28

Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

I really don't think the great prog-metal bands are going downhill, especially Dream theater. This thread seems like a magnet to people who now dislike these bands. It seems as though everyone is being too much like angry critics. 

I don't dislike these bands, I love them as most of the people I have seen here 

its good to be a critic

Posted By: OLAK!
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 23:14
I think lateralus is the best tool album, BUT sober from undertow is their best song.

-------------
When will you come convulsing to my basement?

Posted By: troy
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 23:30

they sound a bit 'boring' to my ears, because I believe FW found this modern 'pattern' and keep repeating themselves after Apsog

Except Disconnected and FWX are remarkably different 

-------------
SUNSET IS AN ANGEL WEEPING
HOLDING OUT A BLOODY SWORD
NO MATTER HOW I SQUINT I CANNOT MAKE OUT WHAT IT IS POINTING TOWARD

Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 07:32
Originally posted by troy troy wrote:

Except Disconnected and FWX are remarkably different 

I would say the opposite

take for example songs like 'one' and 'simple human', they sound quite similar

Posted By: Ed Zeppelin
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 07:56

One word:

RAINBOW

Blackmore is God!

-------------
There is no sun in the shadow of The Wizard.

Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 10:01
Originally posted by Ed Zeppelin Ed Zeppelin wrote:

One word:

RAINBOW

Blackmore is God!

what...............???

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 10:20

Originally posted by VanBuren VanBuren wrote:

and king's x and brand x and...yeah sorry

T2 and U2 (and the B42s)

Posted By: Sean2989
Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 01:02
Originally posted by Nazgul Nazgul wrote:

I Think if you look at Octavarium as a whole you can see that as a band they have returned to the form that they started with. And as for you all that dont like the album, how many times have you heard it have you given it a good listen? Track 8 Octavarium has more depth and comlexity than most of there other songs thats why its one of their best. In my opinion I think that DT is as good as they have ever been and that this album is one of there best!

-------------
http://my.opera.com/YtseJam/homes/albums/12552/thumbs/Dream% 20Ball.jpg_thumb.jpg

Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 16:02

maybe also you haven't read the topic thoroughly, we're talking about the three major prog-metal bands (well IMO and of many others), Opeth were not here in 1983, 1986 or 1989......

Yeah dude, I know the initial post was about only a few specific bands...I commented on each of those bands, and then added additional comments on bands related to the topic. Fair game, in my eyes.

Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 16:05

Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

You heard wrong

Well, my favorite Opeth album is Orchid, so that will give you the idea of the style of Opeth I prefer.

Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 16:25

Yeah dude, I know the initial post was about only a few specific bands...I commented on each of those bands, and then added additional comments on bands related to the topic. Fair game, in my eyes.

allright dude

but comments like 'crappy' 'fake' metal...

Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 21:18
i think you guys need to learn about actual metal before you start praising DT as gods... half the riffs are stolen

-------------

listen to Hella

Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 21:25

Originally posted by Rashikal Rashikal wrote:

i think you guys need to learn about actual metal before you start praising DT as gods... half the riffs are stolen

1. I didn't praise them as Gods

2. Which riffs are stolen? Do you mean some toolish riffs? Because DT are here since 1989...

3. What is actual metal in your opinion?

Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 21:37

Actual metal sucks. To me, the original metal music is boring and quite frankly I can't stand the overall tone of it. I don't think their riffs are stolen, they sure do show heavy influence at times, sure, but they blow the crap out of every band that they may sound like, both in skill and in composition.

-------------

Posted By: HeirToRuin
Date Posted: January 20 2006 at 22:16
Fates Warning, in my opinion, has continued to remain interesting.  Inside Out was their weakest point, but every other release is strong.

Queensryche died after Empire.

Dream Theater seems to be slowing dying after 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Portnoy trying to emulate every popular influence he's ever had.

-------------
ARTEMIA - http://www.reverbnation.com/artemiamusic" rel="nofollow - http://www.reverbnation.com/artemiamusic
L.i.E. - http://www.reverbnati

Posted By: arqwave
Date Posted: January 21 2006 at 00:47
This topic is like a dead-end journey. First, the "great" prog-metal bands
are great beacuse they had found a niche to play what they felt to be
played at a certain period of time... in this case, there were the end of the
80's, we are talking about almost 20 years ago, so, we must figure out
that music has changed a lot and of course the youngsters of that time
now are grown-up guys with a very different approach and sensibility to
music (myself included). Then, no band is eternal, absolutely no player is
god, and no man is an island, we must improve ourselves and of course,
evolute into something better or something greater, honestly i love this
bands and a 100 more, however, of the original 3 bands mentioned and
some others stated as "major-major-influences" had their space and
time. There are a very few examples of musicians having a "phoenix-
rebirth" situation, for example King Crimson, but they or HE (Robert Fripp
i mean) never quit playing, they just had the time to experiment...
anyway, if you might want to compare what has happened, just take a
look to the past: GENESIS evolute, but not necessarily into something that
we might like, MARILLION got a lot more pop and famous, YES became
the shadow of themselves, trying to please their former audiences, ELP a
nice comeback with a lousy album, etc., etc.,... Instead of trying to find
the "black thread" of something is already shaped, we must focus our
mind to find new horizons, searching and opening our ears to new
proposals, there is a whole world of fusion, jazz, metal, pop, prog, art-
rock blah, blah blah to complain about some bands that in the end they
are so famous by now that fan-bases doesn't care if the record is
"marvellous" or just "plain-good"... but my opinion about the topic in here
is this:

--I consider that Dream Theater lost the writing and focus approach
when Kevin Moore left the band like 12 years ago, i believe that his ideas
served as the final glue to have a very cohesive and solid song, things like
Derek Sherinian and Jordan Rudess lacks of it, is not how fast you can
play, but how deep into the heart goes to move you and make it yours--

--Fates warning has been always a one man-one head band, to date, only
Jim Matheos is the original member, and as far as i know, in some point
of his carreer he "left" the band to produce some great acoustical records,
so, he of course is close to be a genius but the music itself is quite
repetitive and very dated--

--Queensryche is like a very bright light that shone very brief, and that
shine is over; they had the chance to produce and perfom great albums,
but they coudln't face and stand the "grunge" beakthrough near '94, and
what is for me their most solid record: PROMISE LAND, fade into oblivion
and the desperation of the members was so obvious that former guitarrist
Chri DeGarmo left to pusue a solo carreer--

peace

-------------
between darkness and light

Date Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:12
the only thrashy prog metal band is opeth, and theyre not even that thrash.

listen to job for a cowboy, the red chord, dillinger escape plan, mastodon, fantomas, etc.

prog metal like dream theater,FW, shadow gallery, all insincere crap. its not even metal

-------------

listen to Hella

Date Posted: January 21 2006 at 13:33

From what I understand, Job For A Cowboy is metalcore. That's not very progressive.
Mastodon I wouldn't consider progressive, either. They're just kinda odd (and good). Also metalcore influenced.
The Red Chord always had metalcore influence, especially on the last album. I wouldn't call them prog, either...more technical, really.
Dillinger Escape Plan I haven't heard in a looong time, so I don't really know. They're not on Metal Archives, but that doesn't mean anything since a lot of metal bands aren't. I do remember a core influence in them, though...I could be wrong, so forgive me if I am!
And it's generally accepted that Fantomas are avant-garde, though I could understand calling them progressive.

Dude, it kind of sounds like you listen to a bunch of metalcore bands that are arguably not progressive.
And you're calling Opeth...thrashy?
I'm not trying to sound like an arse, but...maybe...YOU'RE the one that needs to learn about actual metal.

Date Posted: January 21 2006 at 13:59

the only thrashy prog metal band is opeth, and theyre not even that thrash.

listen to job for a cowboy, the red chord, dillinger escape plan, mastodon, fantomas, etc.

prog metal like dream theater,FW, shadow gallery, all insincere crap. its not even metal

Opeth is not thrashy first of all

all the other bands are as IcedSabbath said, metalcore influenced

well if this is actual metal for you then ok

and i do not agree that DT,FW,SG are insincere crap

Date Posted: January 21 2006 at 14:39
only prog metal band here with throat thrashing....

and maybe you should actually listen to bands instead of searing them on metal archives, just a thought.

-------------

listen to Hella

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk