Topic Closedtool vs porcupine tree

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 14:47
Originally posted by toolsofthetrade toolsofthetrade wrote:

Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

I don't care for tool. I don't get it...it all sounds the same. PT is amazing though. I can listen to their music and not get the feeling that I am walking in place. I feel that with tool.

I would say that porcupine tree are less memorable and distinctive in their sound, and so are closer to sounding all the same, although neither's songs really do sound the same as each other. If you find tool's music sounds the same, you mustn't have a fully functioning pair of ears - yeah they have a certain pattern and style to their songs, but so do most bands - admittedly their progression has somewhat halted with the release of 10 000 days, but from opiate to lateralus their evolution was clear musically and lyrically, and they embodied the spirit of true progression (i.e expanding their sound, not just conforming to what `progressive music' is meant to be) during that period. They had more passion, drive and focus during that time than pt have ever had.

btw, why is there no actual poll for this if it's in the prog polls section? or maybe my computer's playing up again

You're right, my ears don't work.Cry
floydisgod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:41
Comparing recent stuff, I would take Tool.  Lateralus is great, and Aenima and 10,000 Days are decent too.

However, if great albums like Up The Downstair or The Sky Moves Sideways count, then I'll definitely take Porcupine Tree.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:44
Steve releases almost everything he has ever done - IMHO.That's why all PT albums released from 96 to 01 are INCOMPARABLE to either Aenima or Lateralus.TOOL's last one is an ALBUM OF THIS YEAR for me.I'd go with TOOL this time, but I adore them both almost equally

Edited by Prog-jester - April 25 2007 at 11:57
archivep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:46
Itīs really funny when somebody put here really unnecessary topic and we all join it, but me too...
We can compare millions of band...
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:51
Tool is one of the greatest bands around.  However, when compared to Porcupine Tree, they pale in comparison.  PT is easily one of the top 5 bands to appear in the last 10 years.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:51
Originally posted by archivep archivep wrote:

Itīs really funny when somebody put here really unnecessary topic and we all join it, but me too...
We can compare millions of band...

Yep. I was just trying to work out what the two bands had in common.
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 18:33
both are great
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 19:09
So where do we vote ?  Shocked
stupid_dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 19:48
obviously porcupine tree
Fuzz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 22:46
PT easily. Tool is overrated, prententious and dull. It's just angsty music that teenagers listen to so that they feel bad-ass. Porcupine Tree actually has some substance and variety in their music.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 22:50
Tool, just because I'm a pretentious teenager who wants to feel bad ass.
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:03
IMHO Porcupine Tree discogrpahy is more consistent than Tool discography even when I enjoy their albums... For me PT is one of the best bands of the last 10-15 years and one of my fav actually... Tool is good but sounds a little repetitive for me... you can play their first or their last album and you'll find almost the same kind of songs...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:35
I refer PT, they are more versatile.
toolsofthetrade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 08:09
Originally posted by Fuzz Fuzz wrote:

PT easily. Tool is overrated, prententious and dull. It's just angsty
music that teenagers listen to so that they feel bad-ass. Porcupine
Tree actually has some substance and variety in their music.

The most likely cause of you finding them pretentious is that you simply don't understand many of the concepts in their music. Substance? Tool's songs can be interpreted and analysed far deeper than most of pt's music can. I can understand you finding them dull (although it's difficult seeing as a lot of pt's stuff is pyschadelic guitar noodling, which is far duller), but saying they lack substance is just plain wrong.

But what do i know? I just listen to them to feel `badass'.

And yes to the other person, your ears must not function properly if you literally cannot distinguish between different tool songs.

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 08:43
Well if you ask me, it's no contest. O popularity, it's probably 50-50 for most people here, but when it comes to the actaul music, i.e. lyrical content, arrangements, sound variations, we can all agree that Porcupine Tree has Tool licked, no contest.

Tool's music is just bottled up raw anger that comes out over a thunderclap of drums song after song, album after album, even thought I do particularly enjoy Justin Chancellor on bass.

However, Porcupine Tree always differs their sound and they always make it work for them as well. I can't think of one Porcupine Tree I don't like. (Or Own) =]
Fuzz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by toolsofthetrade toolsofthetrade wrote:

Originally posted by Fuzz Fuzz wrote:

PT easily. Tool is overrated, prententious and dull. It's just angsty
music that teenagers listen to so that they feel bad-ass. Porcupine
Tree actually has some substance and variety in their music.

The most likely cause of you finding them pretentious is that you simply don't understand many of the concepts in their music. Substance? Tool's songs can be interpreted and analysed far deeper than most of pt's music can. I can understand you finding them dull (although it's difficult seeing as a lot of pt's stuff is pyschadelic guitar noodling, which is far duller), but saying they lack substance is just plain wrong.

But what do i know? I just listen to them to feel `badass'.

And yes to the other person, your ears must not function properly if you literally cannot distinguish between different tool songs.

Hey, you know what's funny? Tool was the band that got me into music like this. Tool was my first major band. I was obsessed with them for years. Then I woke up. I will agree that Tool's music is open to deeper analysis and interpretation than PT's music, but it doesn't matter because the hidden meanings/nuggets that Tool puts in their songs are usually really stupid and shallow anyways. Maynard and his buddies simply throws these things into their songs to make the songs appear more mysterious and complex than they really are. Watch any interview with this guy and listen to what he says about Tool and about music in general. He makes Tool out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and he sh*ts on just about every band that doesn't play similar music to Tool.

I hate Tool fans and their attitude towards music, I hate Maynard James Keenan and his pompous persona, and I hate Tool's pretentious and oftentimes boring music. It seems like they just write 4-minute hard-rock/sludge metal songs and then add a ton of stupid pointless crap to it to turn it into a 10 minute dirge. I'm sorry, but I just don't think they're anything special anymore. I'm over them and I actually feel bad for the people who go around touting Tool as the end-all be all of music.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:39
I went to see PT this year. 

Nearly twenty people had TOOL t-shirts on. 

I would have to say Tool by a hair. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:47
Great rant Fuzz! It's good to see people so passionate about their music.And obviously PORCUPINE TREE and TOOL are huge in the prog world.Personally i would probably take "lateralus" over "Absentia" or "Stupid dream" although it's so close.But it isn't even close who's the better band, with way more quality music behind them...PORCUPINE TREE! 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
EliasMisael View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:45
Both bands are great! In one hand we have Tool with Carey's impressive drumming and Maynard peculiar voice. But in the other side we have one of the most inventive musician in the earth: Mr. Steven Wilson, then my vote goes for PT! Tongue
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 12:41
I don't think it's fair to compare these two bands... they have completely different styles if you ask me, and sound distinctly different (especially Tool, no one sounds like Tool).

But if it's just a question of which band you like more, I'd choose Porcupine Tree.

...and Deadwing and 10,000 Days are most definitely NOT terrible albums, Arriving Somewhere... and 10,000 Days are two of my favorite songs!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>