Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTool ... are they really all that good ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Tool ... are they really all that good ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
58 [54.21%]
49 [45.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 09:00
So you didn't get enough input in the other Tool threads you have made?

I tried it...but I don't like Tool:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22820&KW=Tool

Tool...so what's the fuss?:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23453&KW=Tool

Tool and Dream Theater Burger Factory:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24290&KW=Tool

King Crimson vs. Tool:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26639&KW=Tool

And that is just a few of them,the ones I felt like listing.

For someone that can't stand them you sure talk about them alot.What more do you need to know???????????????

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 09:51
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

So you didn't get enough input in the other Tool threads you have made?

I tried it...but I don't like Tool:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22820&KW=Tool

Tool...so what's the fuss?:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23453&KW=Tool

Tool and Dream Theater Burger Factory:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24290&KW=Tool

King Crimson vs. Tool:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26639&KW=Tool

And that is just a few of them,the ones I felt like listing.

For someone that can't stand them you sure talk about them alot.What more do you need to know???????????????

I suspected sooner or later you would respond Progtologist  but honestly its just  a harmless poll  and I havent posted anything Tool related in some time.  Smile
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:09
I know it's harmless,but it's also pretty redundant.

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:16

I know it's harmless,but it's also pretty redundant.
If it wasn`t so close this poll I would ask you to close this thread,   but its close infact Tool may even come out infront the way things are going.   I am going to definatly not make any more Tool threads   So far people have responded nice and decent any sign of trouble please just close it  ... thanks  Smile

Edited by Masque - January 17 2007 at 10:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:21
I won't close it,there is really no reason to,no rules are being violated.I was just wondering why you obsess about these guys so much.I obsess about music and bands that I like.Bands that I don't like I don't care about.I think that's sort of strange.Just my personal opinion,though.

archivep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:37
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Yes. I ain't Metal fan(neither Prog nor Alternative where TOOL seemed to belong) mostly ,but they're my favourite Metal band."10 000 Days" is The album of the year for me (glad to see it takes #5 in Collabs' choise).
The title track is simply a masterpiece.

It´s funny but in fact they are not a metal band, it´s some mix of hard rock with american alternative music... And I think they are closer to B. Sabbath than to a traditional metal bands.
They were never rated as a metal band so I don´t understand why they are now...
But the point is they are pretty good but not a metal.   
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:47
In response to the thread title: No, they're better. Tongue
Clark Ashton View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:48
Originally posted by archivep archivep wrote:

It´s funny but in fact they are not a metal band, it´s some mix of hard rock with american alternative music... And I think they are closer to B. Sabbath than to a traditional metal bands.

I've noticed that 'the powers that be' lump anything Hard Core, Nu, Industrial, Alternative, etc in with metal. I'm not a Tool fan, but I read these threads to find out why people label them "Metal".

BTW http://www.metal-archives.com/ does not recognise Tool as metal.

Edited by Clark Ashton - January 17 2007 at 10:54
And he took the stars
In his hands
And as he scattered them he’d shout
“I’m the joker of the universe
I’m what it’s all about”
XTChuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:49

Yes. I ain't Metal fan(neither Prog nor Alternative where TOOL seemed to belong) mostly ,but they're my favourite Metal band."10 000 Days" is The album of the year for me (glad to see it takes #5 in Collabs' choise).

I think Tool are to be considered a metal band even though not EVERYTHING they've recorded was heavy sounding.  Even Black Sabbath recorded songs like "Laguna Sunrise", "Fluff", "Planet Caravan" etc.
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:54

I won't close it,there is really no reason to,no rules are being violated.I was just wondering why you obsess about these guys so much.I obsess about music and bands that I like.Bands that I don't like I don't care about.I think that's sort of strange.Just my personal opinion,though.
  I see no separation between what I like and what I don`t like  once it is part of my awareness I like to validate my feelings .. half the stuff we learn in life is from not so great experiences.   Smile
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:19
I respect Tool for what they have achieved. It is not really 'popular'music is it?

I know about their music since they began but they made music which did not appeal to me. When they became popular some friends of me played them a lot. Still it didn't appeal to me. They sound too sterile and abstract to me. Around the third song on any album I find myself doing other thing then listening to their music.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:29
Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

At their best (Aenima, Lateralus) yes, they are that good. On the other releases they're quite good, but not groundbreaking.  What is definitely not that good about them is the lyrics (with a few exceptions). Do they sound samey? No.

...what?!?!??!?!?!ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

To say Keenan´s lyrics are not good is like saying Russia is a little country! He is THE best ever, for me of course. His lyrics are so incredibly deep and filosofical, can´t believe there are people out there saying his lyrics are not good. One thing is that you don´t like them, but to say they are not good, that´s just absurd!...man does this piss me offAngryAngryAngryAngry Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

and, they are as good as everybody says they are and diserve all the popularity they get. Plus, Lateralus is the best prog album of this milleniumWink

Edited by el böthy - January 17 2007 at 11:33
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:33
Originally posted by XTChuck XTChuck wrote:

I think Tool are to be considered a metal band even though not EVERYTHING they've recorded was heavy sounding.  Even Black Sabbath recorded songs like "Laguna Sunrise", "Fluff", "Planet Caravan" etc.

Personally I would put them in Art rock
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Erpland316 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:48
A lot of this website has become nothing but senseless band bashing.  All music is a matter of opinion and its stupid to just sit around at a computer and argue over nothing.  I really dont get it?
"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 13:13
I've been a huge Tool fan. Discovered them in their gap from Aenima to Lateralus via APC, and fell in love for the most part.  I think those two albums are probably their apex...when 10K was about to break out (aside from almost literally throwing up in my mouth from the title when it was first announced), I figured based off their last album's experiments it could only make or break them.

And in my opinion, break them it has.  What happened to the long, trance-inducing, intricately crafted textures that were hinted at the end of Lateralus?  I saw Lateralus as the closing of an era for the band...they got over the legal battles, they rediscovered communicating within themselves, and from there on in, they'd really go whacky and explore to their hearts' content - see the lyrics to the song Lateralus in general.  What we saw was not an expansion, an improvement, or any sort of 'pushing the envelope' (statements which the band bark about til they're blue in the face but no longer show corroborating bite)...but a band standing still doing what worked for them.  Had 10K been released 2 years after Lateralus I would've said cool, or as a companion piece, even better. 

The band needs to make either some dramatically big changes in their overall sound or composistional skills for the next album, or adios Tool; because seriously, these guys are writing the same D minor bound song over and over and over with reliance on Danny Carey's powerhouse drumming taking up farrrr too much precedence. 

Experiment I say to Tool, and don't be afraid to be weird or alienate your audience again!  So back to the initial question, is Tool great...I guess I can at this moment say they WERE and they still have the latency to become even better, I simply became rather, RATHER disappointed with them last year.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 13:32
Erpland316: ClapClapClap

El Böthy: I understand your disagreeement with the opinion expressed by Visitor13, but there is really no need to react as if he had blasphemied. Unfortunately, art is in many respects a matter of personal taste.

As far as moving Tool to Art Rock, seen that King Crimson are a major influence on the band, perhaps it wouldn't be such a far-fetched suggestion... I don't thing the PMT would agree, though.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

At their best (Aenima, Lateralus) yes, they are that good. On the other releases they're quite good, but not groundbreaking.  What is definitely not that good about them is the lyrics (with a few exceptions). Do they sound samey? No.

...what?!?!??!?!?!ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

To say Keenan´s lyrics are not good is like saying Russia is a little country! He is THE best ever, for me of course. His lyrics are so incredibly deep and filosofical, can´t believe there are people out there saying his lyrics are not good. One thing is that you don´t like them, but to say they are not good, that´s just absurd!...man does this piss me offAngryAngryAngryAngry Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

and, they are as good as everybody says they are and diserve all the popularity they get. Plus, Lateralus is the best prog album of this milleniumWink

Please quote some deep and philisophic lyrics from them. When it comes to lyrics I'm very critical, but I will admit to being mistaken, if what you quote meets my standards.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 16:02
They are good but not THAT good (whatever THAT refers too).... they are quiete an interesting band, very interesting rhythm, great drummer, good if awkward singing, but some of their songs are boring, some are noisy, some are too close to nu-metal to my liking.... I would say lateralus and 10000 days are thier best... Aenima it's not my favorite.
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 16:55
Yes Yes Yes! Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 17:05
Originally posted by Masque Masque wrote:

I see no separation between what I like and what I don`t like  once it is part of my awareness I like to validate my feelings .. half the stuff we learn in life is from not so great experiences.  

So how many times do you purposefully put yourself through "not so great experiences"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>