Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Share your knowledge - food related bands Part 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShare your knowledge - food related bands Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do you know this band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [9.30%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.98%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.98%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [30.23%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.65%]
4 [9.30%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [16.28%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 19:21
I found another one that I missed.  When I was going through the list I saw Gazpacho, and I thought it was a Spanish food of some sort, but then I forgot to list them.  Just double checked and it is the name of a Spanish soup.  The band is from Norway though, so I assume that they just like a good Spanish soup.  So Gazpacho is another band that fits the theme of this thread and is open for discussion if anyone cares to give their two pesos.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 16:52
These threads got pushed to the second page way too quickly.  Come on folks there are a lot of obscure bands on these threads that can be discussed.  Certainly there are more of you out there with knowledge on some of these bands and I'm sure there are more fans then me that would like to be the beneficiaries of your knowledge.  Besides it took a lot of work for me to go through the archives to come up with the list, I can't let these threads go to that dark and dreary graveyard of threads that quickly. Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 15:17
I found this old thread that was started about Eggroll.  It appears that there are links to cover songs that the band did of Genesis tracks.  I'm not sure if the links still work or not.  I also read Ivan's review of their album which was released a couple of years after this thread.  It appears that their album would appeal to those like me who like doses of light prog.  Anyhow, in case anyone is interested in checking out Eggroll (hopefully the links work) here is the thread.  If you read all the way through you can see how much fun the old members used to have with threads, and maybe some of the old timers will be able to reminisce over such great memories.

The links that are on that thread are in Hebrew, which my computer doesn't seem to speak at this time, and I definitely don't speak,  but I did manage to find a link to their MySpace page from the link.

Edited by rushfan4 - March 22 2008 at 15:21
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 17:02
I am kind of talking to myself here, but I can be an interesting conversationalist when I want to be so here I go again (poppy Whitesnake reference anyone?)LOL

As some of you may know from some of my other posts, I am a huge fan of the band King's X, and I am still disappointed that they have been deemed not prog enough for Prog Archives, since they are labeled prog everywhere else, but I digress and that is a rant best left for the ranting room. 

At any rate, one of the bands on my list of foods is The Jelly Jam, and since no one else wants to talk about them, I will a bit.  The Jelly Jam consists of 3 members of the band Platypus, who will most likely make an upcoming Prog Gone Wild Life thread.  The members of The Jelly Jam are Ty Tabor from King's X, John Myung from Dream Theater, and Rod Morganstein from The Dixie Dregs (amongst others).  The missing member from Platypus is keyboard player Derek Sherinian, also formerly of Dream Theater. 

Whereas, Platypus is labeled a prog metal band, Platypus without Derek Sherinian is labeled a Space/Psyche band.  The Jelly Jam has released 2 albums on the prog rock label InsideOut.  The band has a similar sound to Platypus, as well as a similar sound to Ty Tabor's band King's X, except that Ty is singing lead vocals instead of backing and supporting vocals.  I believe that their music would appeal to fans of the guitar oriented rock/metal bands from the 60's and 70's such as Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, and the Beatles.  Probably more for the fans of commercial prog, or the rock side of progressive rock, then for the fans of the "progressive" side of progressive rock, which I think makes sense to most of you.  Also, this should also appeal to other fans of King's X and Ty Tabor's solo work.  At the very least, these bands should also evoke the curiosity factor for fans of Dream Theater, or maybe fans of John Myung's bass playing, who don't like James LaBrie's singing but would like to hear Myung play with a more palatable vocalist.

Along with The Jelly Jam and Platypus, which are both bands that are on prog archives, Ty Tabor was also in a band called Jughead, which released 1 album on InsideOut music.  Jughead is not on PA, but I will take a moment to mention them too, since a Jug can be sort of food-related prog since you drink a jug of beer or wine while listening to some prog.  Jughead is more of a pop-oriented album, but at least to these ears, it is excellent pop.  Jughead consists of Ty Tabor with his keyboard buddy Derek Sherinian again, but this time Derek is playing more subdued on an electric piano instead of the heavier synthesizers that he is more known for.  Joining them on the rhythm section the brothers Bissonnette, Matt and Gregg, who both have fairly lengthy session musician portfolios.  Although not prog, I think that Jughead might appeal to some prog fans as well.  At least those like me who like the commercial side of prog. 

Edited by rushfan4 - March 26 2008 at 17:05
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 17:57
Starting to think that I should move this thread into my blog since I talk to myself alot in there too. Cry

Anyhow, I am listening to the After the Storm charity compilation CD that was put together by Nearfest records for the benefit of the survivors of Hurricane Katrina and it includes 24 songs from 24 different prog bands across the spektrum of prog, although mostly centralized rather than on the fringes of prog.  Anyhow, two bands from the food-related prog band polls are included.  Nektar included Phazed by the Storm from their album Evolution.  The Muffins included an alternate mix of Essay R, which was previously unreleased.  Both songs are really good as are most of the songs on this album. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:08
shame I haven't heard Burned Noodle... sounds.. kinky...

for me... no surprise... Italian... Rickenbackers.. Mellotron...

Cherry Five
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 10:28
If anyone is interested in checking out Burnt Noodle I happened across the band's website which includes free downloads of 3 of their songs. Edit: The downloads are actually only 3 or 4 minute excerpts of the songs, but still might give you a taste of this relatively unknown psychedelic/space rock band.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 30 2008 at 10:36
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 13:59
It's not on the list, but I'm going to have to go with "Dogs."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12