Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost representative band of the 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which one is the most representative band of the seventies prog-rock
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.63%]
16 [21.05%]
25 [32.89%]
22 [28.95%]
3 [3.95%]
4 [5.26%]
4 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

I would say PINK FLOYD as they were the most successful prog band of the time...by far!
People with no knowledge of prog music or even rock music knew about PF, never heard the other names, so yes PF was representative of prog and rock for the masses.
My grand parents or parents knew about PF,even if they were just druggies playing some starnge stuff, but they knew the name.....Surprised people here choose GENESIS as most representative....they were not well known or not at all by the general public

Your rationale is absolutely correct! Everyone , I mean everyone knows or has heard Floyd. And when people aske me to define the strange music I prefer, I ALWAYS catch myself naming Floyd as the lead hint of our genre.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 21:42
representative is a pretty nebulous word, as others have pointed out, since no one band can represent everything that was going on in the wonderful creative decade that was the 70s. But since I actually lived through the decade, and was weened on prog rock from that decade as it was happening in real time, I feel like I have a pretty decent handle and feel for what was going on (as opposed to reading about it, or looking back in hindsight, or sitting in an ivory tower somewhere and pontificating about it).

Since symphonic progressive rock was the dominant style, or most high profile style of the 70s, I would say it would have to be a symphonic progressive band. That knocks out Pink Floyd, which although dominant with the success of Dark Side, still was only in the public consciousness with Dark Side (ie, almost a cult band before that), and after that they only released 2 albums in the 70s.

One could argue King Crimson was representative, but since they called it quits in 1974 when Fripp decided to stop KC, and since they were always avant garde and not really mainstream, hard to call them representative. I think they were arguably in retrospect the most influential, but not representative.

So it really comes down to Genesis or Yes vs ELP.
While I would love to say my favorite band Genesis was representative of the 70s as a whole, I think I have to go with Yes, despite their unique style and talents. Genesis was also hardly known outside of England and Italy until their 1973-74 tour here in the US. And even then, Genesis was known mostly on the eastern seaboard for the most part, and Canada, until after Gabriel left and they started getting bigger audiences in 76/77. Plus, Genesis' style, while melodic and symphonic, still had a lot of obscure English and biblical literary references, so they remained somewhat of a mystery until late in the decade. They also were not on TV and had no single that was a hit in the US until 1978.

So I have to go with Yes, who influenced many bands, who had a high profile hit pretty early on with Roundabout, and who had concert and album sales success faster than Genesis. More people knew who Yes were, pretty early on, and they were a high profile band all decade.

ELP has an argument, but despite some pretty big tours, I don't think were quite as popular as Yes. ELP certainly was influential world wide, and they did have the early radio hit of Lucky Man, but in the end I think Yes's symphonic style was a little more representative of the 70s than ELPs more bombastic assault the classics style. I saw both in concert at their peak in the 70s, won't forget either experience, but I also think when ELP ran out of ideas, man did they hit a brick wall. I love both groups, but the guitar-keyboard dominated style of the symphonic prog of Yes is more representative of the non lead guitar, keyboard heavy style of ELP in the end.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 23:22
Yes is the definitive symphonic band.

I think I'd probably vote for ELP second, although Genesis might sneak in there instead.....

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - May 10 2008 at 23:23
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 00:04
I beklieve Genesis and Yes are equally representative of Symphonic.

Genesis can have been unknown outside England, Italy and Belgium, but when they reached some popularity, they were much more influemntial than any band. Yes of course was more popular.

But if we ask people who don't know much about Prog, 99.99% will answer Pink Floyd, so this maked them the most representative band of Prog IMO.

Iván

Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 02:23
Pink Floyd no doubt it was the band that made me discover prog and when i think of the 70s PF if one of the major bands that comes to my mind. And they where a band that realy progressed, changing thiere sound and style over the years.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 05:56
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Pink Floyd remained psychedelia to many of us in the UK, well after Darkside until America decided the band was their idea of progressive. So no way to PF even being on the list. King Crimson for me if I've interpreted the word 'representative' ?

Thank you.
cesar polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 12:54
I want yo thank everybody for participating in this poll, but specially Zargus, Ivan Melgar and all the people from non-english-language countries because since all the bands in the list are UK-based, you give a different vision, from "outside" I would say, that I can compare with the one that I have from Spain.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 14:01
Originally posted by jetson jetson wrote:

I don't know why, but when I hear "70's" , I think of Floyd.

Agreed, 5 exceptional albums in a 10 year period.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 14:09
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Pink Floyd with the words of Febus..
Then would come on 2nd place the classic symphonic bands: Yes, Genesis and ELP.

Camel not saying they're not 1st category but they only released IMO 1 really good albums in the 70's. Mirage.
Fixed for ya.Hm. I think King Crimson are the most representative of what 'progressive' really is. Every album has a significantly morphed style, a hefty amount of improv., unusual instruments as well as some twists on the staple mellotron and guitars [violin, crazy percussion, sax, cornet] (compare Lizard with Islands with Larks' with Starless with Red), musicians changing at every turn, even the band's constant alters his style for each album.Didn't vote, though, because I didn't really understand the drift of the question.

..Sorry to say but Mirage IMO is the worst of the three, the material seems quite raw, of course having one of their finest songs Lady Fantasy, as a work group I think they reached their musical peak with Moonmadness.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 14:10
Originally posted by cesar polo cesar polo wrote:

I want yo thank everybody for participating in this poll, but specially Zargus, Ivan Melgar and all the people from non-english-language countries because since all the bands in the list are UK-based, you give a different vision, from "outside" I would say, that I can compare with the one that I have from Spain.

I'm from Argentina, yupi!!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 15:42
Strange as it may seem, but I think the most representative band is Van der Graaf Generator, especially if you add to this the solo albums of Peter Hammill.. I will explain why I thinks so: In Van der Graaf Generator / Peter Hammill you will find elements of symphonic, avantgarde, jazz-rock, psychedelic, even an opera. So if you want a band that best represents all that prog-rock is capable of, go here.
About the same could be said for King Crimson. Other artists may be more representative for a specific genre, but if you want to see the whole range of prog turn to the works of these.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 16:29
I chose Genesis.  I think Yes represents the symphonic genre more, but more people might recognize Genesis because of their late 70's through the 80's sell out popularity.

In retrospect, I probably would agree it's Floyd.  For a long time I didn't consider them prog, but they have the surreal moods, use synthesizers, sometimes use odd time signatures, and have a symphonic or spacious feel.  What more did I need to call it progressive rock?
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, creativity is the sincerest form of worship.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 16:31
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Strange as it may seem, but I think the most representative band is Van der Graaf Generator, especially if you add to this the solo albums of Peter Hammill.. I will explain why I thinks so: In Van der Graaf Generator / Peter Hammill you will find elements of symphonic, avantgarde, jazz-rock, psychedelic, even an opera. So if you want a band that best represents all that prog-rock is capable of, go here. About the same could be said for King Crimson. Other artists may be more representative for a specific genre, but if you want to see the whole range of prog turn to the works of these.

Also Zappa then, for your requirements.
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 19:42
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Genesis can have been unknown outside England, Italy and Belgium, but when they reached some popularity, they were much more influemntial than any band. Yes of course was more popular.

But if we ask people who don't know much about Prog, 99.99% will answer Pink Floyd, so this maked them the most representative band of Prog IMO.

Iván

being the most popular or well known doesn't necessarily mean that their music was the most representative of the 70s. The Backstreet Boys may have been at one time the most well known or popular band in America in the 90s, but that doesn't mean their music was representative of the 90s. Your jump in logic there doesn't connect. Yes' music was more representative of what was going on with prog rock as a whole in the 70s than Floyd, despite Floyd's popularity.

Edited by Dr. Prog - May 11 2008 at 19:43
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 19:46
Originally posted by Dr. Prog Dr. Prog wrote:

Iván

being the most popular or well known doesn't necessarily mean that their music was the most representative of the 70s. The Backstreet Boys may have been at one time the most well known or popular band in America in the 90s, but that doesn't mean their music was representative of the 90s. Your jump in logic there doesn't connect. Yes' music was more representative of what was going on with prog rock as a whole in the 70s than Floyd, despite Floyd's popularity.

You got a point, let's how this poll changes..
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 19:52

Iván

Uhhh, I could care less how or if the poll changes, I always try to be accurate and logical when making points to support an argument, no matter what the consequences or some  poll results show.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 19:58

Iván

Uhhh, I could care less how or if the poll changes, I always try to be accurate and logical when making points to support an argument, no matter what the consequences or some poll results show.

Pff, that's quite egoistic by your part... You don't care a damn of how the thread turns into, if I'm correct, the closed one thread cause your fault.

BTW: the first I gave was just like a joke..people nowadays are too serious.
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 20:09

Iván

Uhhh, I could care less how or if the poll changes, I always try to be accurate and logical when making points to support an argument, no matter what the consequences or some poll results show.

Pff, that's quite egoistic by your part... You don't care a damn of how the thread turns into, if I'm correct, the closed one thread cause your fault.

BTW: the first I gave was just like a joke..people nowadays are too serious.

Huh?
I don't recall throwing a epithet in there like you did. To repeat, I said I don't care if something I said influences or doesn't influence a poll. I don't know what the heck you are talking about.  Being accurate and logical is egotistical?ConfusedLOL Why don't you quit reading things into my posts or misstating them, and just let it be?Ermm
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 20:22

Iván

Pff, that's quite egoistic by your part... You don't care a damn of how the thread turns into, if I'm correct, the closed one thread cause your fault. BTW: the first I gave was just like a joke..people nowadays are too serious.

Huh?

I don't recall throwing a epithet in there like you did. To repeat, I said I don't care if something I said influences or doesn't influence a poll. I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Being accurate and logical is egotistical?ConfusedLOL Why don't you quit reading things into my posts or misstating them, and just let it be?Ermm

Let it be!!!!....Naked!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 20:26

Dr. Prog wrote:

Quote being the most popular or well known doesn't necessarily mean that their music was the most representative of the 70s.

I never said the most representative of the 70’s, the 70’s had a wide variety of genres and sounds to believe one band represents them all.

The Backstreet Boys may have been at one time the most well known or popular band in America in the 90s, but that doesn't mean their music was representative of the 90s.

No, they were not the most representative band of the United States, but they were without any doubt, the most representative Boy band of the early 90’s in USA.

Talking about a band that represents a decade is harder than talking about a band that represented a genre.

Your jump in logic there doesn't connect. Yes' music was more representative of what was going on with prog rock as a whole in the 70s than Floyd, despite Floyd's popularity.

That’s your opinion and deserves respect, but not necessarily correct.

Almost every Rock listener in the 70’s bought a copy of Dark Side of the Moon, something that didn’t happened with Yes or Genesis, all this people who bought a DSOTM or The Wall copy (Which BTW and if I’m not wrong, sold more copies than DSOTM) also bought a representation of the idea called Progressive Rock in the form of a band called Pink Floyd .

Even among Prog haters Pink Floyd represented the idea of Prog, Punk was created as a reaction against  Progressive Rock, and Johnny Rotten used a T-Shirt that said I hate Pink Floyd, not I hate Yes or I hate Genesis, because they knew that Pink Floyd was the best known Progressive Rock band.

If he had used an I hate Genesis T-Shirt, .90% of the world would believed he hated the Bible, because Genesis was unknown outside the Prog circles.

Most popular doesn’t mean better, but popularity has a very strong connection with representation, which BTW, you affirmed in your previous post:

Dr. Prog wrote:

Quote Genesis was also hardly known outside of England and Italy until their 1973-74 tour here in the US. [/quote]

If being representative has nothing to do with popularity, why you had to mention that Genesis was hardly known outside England and Italy?

But not all, you say later in the same post:

Dr. Prog wrote: [quote] They also were not on TV and had no single that was a hit in the US until 1978

Your last quote also proves that you believe that popularity is related with being representative, you even say Genesis was not representative, because they were not on TV and had no hit single.

If your initial position was right, even a hardly known band and extremely unpopular could be representative, something I believe is incorrect.

But again, let’s leave it here, before this thread is closed again.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 11 2008 at 20:31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>