Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 17:57
Thanks for making me feel a little better.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:03
Ruth Bader Ginsberg RIP😢
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:05
So sad about this.  She was one of freedom's last hopes.  This is a day that I was fearing for a long time.  She will be sorely missed by everyone whether they realize it now or not.  Rest in Peace Notorious RBG.

I bet Turtle Mitch will move faster than he ever has and all of his so called beliefs about letting the next administration pick the replacement will all go right out the window, especially with the great pumpkin prodding him on.

Edited by TCat - September 18 2020 at 18:06

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:13
RIP little lady.

And I can't believe that when I read the headline I felt a pit in my stomach.
I'm not even from that country and yet my heart aches every time I see something that might be used by "He who shall not be named".

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

she was a fighter wasn't she... RIP darlin'.

the politics of this moving forward.... in a word.. facinating.

Do they have enough time to ram through a pick...  likely not.. took nearly 4 months to get Kavanaugh through..

McConnell might try.. but already there are GOP senators on record saying.. several months ago.. that it would indeed be hypocritical and regardless of what Mitch wants..  if he doesn't have 50...  it will be the new Senate and President that chooses her successor.

added into that . a slight underdog to keep the Senate.. making a fight of this likely dooms their chances of keeping the Senate.

it is worth a pick... to McConnell it is.. but regardless of what he wants.. there are upwards of 10 senatros fighting for their political lives right now.. and likely dont' want this to be an issue in November and piss off women voters even more.
The short answer is that Trump and Mitch can push someone through, even before the 2020 election.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:14
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Thanks for making me feel a little better.  

well the days of Mitch being considered a shrewd savy politcian are long past.. but still...  i dont' see how he can.

as reminder before anyone jumps off a bridge...

there is still a government.. ours... that is weeks short of running out of money..

still a Covid aid package that will have to be negotiated and passed..

and most importantly.  a large number of Republican senators who want to be home campaigning in October as they normally would be.. not stuck in DC fighting an extremely divisive fight that they know will likely doom many of their chances to win reelection.

as I alluded to before..  wasn't back in July when her cancer came back.. numerous Republicans did say.. on the record that if she passed away before the election.. the voters should choose in November who replaces her. I don't think Mitch will have 50 votes even if he thinks he can ram this through..

this isn't 2016.. replacing a hard core rightie with a moderate.. but replacing a hard core leftie with a presumed hard core rightie.  This is big time divisive.. and 2018 showed what happens when women voters truly do.. 
pardon the pun.. 

get their panties in a twist.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:16
I've never been this angry at reading a death post. I can barely type this message my hands are vibrating with rage. 

And of course the great sadness. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:17

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at 87 from cancer. God help us.
  Just what we didn't need.  Wonder how they will try to take back the idea of having to wait until after the election to appoint a new judge?

They will just do it. 

We live in a time where people don't care. It was clearly a partisan move when they blocked Garland and the same people that applauded that will applaud pushing someone through in the next two months. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:23
Let's see what happens before we panic...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:35
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Let's see what happens before we panic...

yep...  anyone care to take a bet that Mitch's cellphone is working overtime tonight.

taking a head count before reporting to his Dear Leader...

If he finds he doesn't have 50 votes. it goes no where and they say the obvious. There is not enough time so the voters will in effect choose her replacement.

So 3 nays..... and low and behold.. there are 4 Republican senators, enough to flip the Senate, who have trailed in every single poll taken in the last 4 months and whose only hope is to drive up their support but not enrage and drive up the opponents turn out. So their best hope.. perhaps even Trumps but don't give him enough credit for the smarts to realize this was a gift to him but only if smart enough to play it right.

ie ..

make this election about the pick... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:35
Just panic. This will not be fun.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:47

pffff.. saving my panic.. ie.. the week long booze, blow and broads binge for that election day asteroid which you don't hear enough about which might really scare me if not for secretly hoping for the chance to go out with a real nostalgic Micky in his 20's bang rather than drooling and pissing upon myself in some f**king rest home. Beer
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:48
Micky, your words would in most cases soothe the panic, but in these days of everyone closing a blind eye to the Trumptater and letting him get away with everything, there just isn't the solace found in the so-called morals and conscience of the powers that be.  Even the public lets him get away with everything as long as their guns aren't threatened.  Most of his base still believes the virus is just a scam to debase America, forget the fact that every country in the world is dealing with this and they can't see beyond their own borders.

Edited by TCat - September 18 2020 at 18:51

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:51

I'm running around the room in circles with my arms flailing in the air just like an old bad Jerry Lewis movie.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:59
You guys will love this:

https://twitter.com/senatemajldr/status/1307121192516628480/photo/1
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 19:02
aye... my main point.. and it is a correct one is that it simply is not up to Trump.. or even McConnell.  Those Senators whose jobs are on the line in 7 short weeks will decide whether they can try to ram this through

and unlike them.. they can see clearly what happened in 2018.. yes Kavanaugh drove up Republican turnout.. but drove up far more Democratic anger and thus their votes. 

negative sum gain by a divisive Supreme Court fight just prior to an election.

I simply can't see any of the threatened Senators thinking that a lame duck power play will help their chances at reelection.

Trump knows he is gone.. Mitch knows he is safe..  but those that aren't will be the ones that decide 'what happens'

that is beyond question...  and if they are smart.. they make this selection an electin issue.  A no brainer to me.. it is the smart move.. if anything it could hep take the heat off of Trump

the change of ecoomic/Convid mismanagement narrative he desperately needed... will it help...  not likely.. his support.. and opponents are likely set in stone. That is why there were no poll bounces..very little polling fluxuations.. there are very few undecided about Trump after 4 years

but it also wouldn't be a down ballot mass execution like a Trump/McConnell lame duck rush job would be.

Trump and McConnell have shown absolutely no political smarts or savvy.. but there are smart and savvy Repbublicans out there who will know.. and tell McConnell..  you will not do this and doom not just the White House.. the Senate.. but more importantly.... any chances of me keeping my phony baloney cushy position here at the Swamp.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 19:46
And the rat b*****d McConnell has already done it....https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/politics/congress-fight-rgb-seat/index.html

Edited by Snicolette - September 18 2020 at 19:47
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 19:46
Aside from Mitch, who will stay on, any outgoing Senators will get the last laugh.And hell hath no fury like scorned women and Republican senators.

Edited by SteveG - September 18 2020 at 19:49
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 19:50
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I'm running around the room in circles with my arms flailing in the air just like an old bad Jerry Lewis movie.
yeah, we know.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 20:03

And the rat b*****d McConnell has already done it....https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/politics/congress-fight-rgb-seat/index.html

gun.. meet head...LOLBeer

I'd say I would be surprised because it is a insanely stupid move... but I"m not...  Republicans do seem hell bent on destroying themselves.

though I wonder how much of that statement is pure bluster... for if he doesn't have 50 votes it doesn't happen.. to say nothing of the time. Does he plan on keeping the Senate in session during October as he would have to have any chance for a lame duck post election vote.

Murkowski.. Colins... Romney... and none of them IIRC (though I think Romney was) was among those who said the open seat should be settled by the voter.

those 3 alone sink any chance .. and the only reason Collins isn't a slam dunk to win reelection was her support of Kavenaugh.

the math doesn't just add up.. 7 weeks..  scores of vulnerable Republican Senators..

I think that statement by Mitch is worth as much as the paper it was printed on .. red meat for the moron base..

I'm sticking with my 'it ain't happening' for timing and basic electoral politics reasoning..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 434>