Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Fall" of the great prog-metal bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:09
Originally posted by IcedSabbath IcedSabbath wrote:

Queensryche = Not prog to my ears.

Dream Theater = Crappy, fake "metal" chug riffs and annoying vocals...They were never good to begin with, IMO. Train of Thought is one of the most heinous things I've ever listened to, and what I've heard of Octavarium isn't so hot either.

If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

The only Fates Warning I have is Perfect Symmetry, and it's killer; I'm not going to comment on their latest output.

chill out man, I think you have to find some more convincing arguments...

maybe also you haven't read the topic thoroughly, we're talking about the three major prog-metal bands (well IMO and of many others), Opeth were not here in 1983, 1986 or 1989......

Ed, are you referring to this one?

Edited by aapatsos
TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:37
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Scenes from a Memory is the only truly great DT album. The albums before it all have great moments - but that's not enough to make a great album.

After Scenes came 6DOIT, which is very "Interesting" but I wouldn't say it's a good album. Train of Thought has Stream of Consciousness which is mind-blowing and In the Name of God which is fairly OK but not outstanding, the rest of Train of Thought is bad. Dream Theater have never sounded more like Metallica ... Their not very good at being "angry" either! Octavarium is bad too, except for the title track which is very good.

I'd definitely say they are on their way down.

Stream of Consciousness is my 2nd least favorite song from ToT ... only Honor Thy Father is worse. But they're both solid 3s in terms of the prog archives rating system ...

Honor Thy Father is horrid. Probably one of DT's worst songs ever, if not THE worst one.. Steam of Consciousness though is one of the band's best songs. I can't accept what your saying, I know my opinion is just an opinion, but seriously dude, its Stream of Consciousness! It's GOOD!!! and even if it's not one of the band's "better songs", you must admit it's the best on ToT, Endless Sacrifice and As I Am are not much of compotition, Dying Soul is pretty bad aswel. In the Name of God is the only song that might be considered by some sober people to be better but it's still not that outstanding and SoC IS!

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:52
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

are we talking about the same albums????

images and words and awake......fairly eh bad.....?

Yea, how could you say that? I agree that Falling into Infinity is a flop, but the other two you listed are great albums.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:59
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

are we talking about the same albums????

images and words and awake......fairly eh bad.....?

Yea, how could you say that? I agree that Falling into Infinity is a flop, but the other two you listed are great albums.

Falling into Infinity is underrated. I would prefer it to Octavarium anytime.

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:03
Falling Into Infinity contains some of the best tracks Dream Theater have ever written; it's a personal favorite of mine.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:03

I can't say much about Queensryche or Fates Warning. I never really liked either of them, and consequently don't follow them. I do like some of their material, but I can't give a solid opinion on what they're doing or have done.

Dream Theater, however, I can. I think they are on a roll. None of the albums they've put out with Rudess have been bad. Dream Theater nearly reinvent themselves every record, sound-wise, but their albums still maintain the Dream Theater sound.

Train of Thought seems to get a lot of heat from fans, but I love it. It's a good, intense, album. The album has some of their finest displays of technical precision. Even if you don't like the songs, you have to appreciate the jams on that album.

Edited by Moatilliatta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:06
My main issue with Dream Theater is that they have this deep, deep love for lifting riffs from other bands.  Octavarium (the track) is meant to reference lots of bands, that's true, but does the "big ending" have to be the same "big ending" that Kansas' 'The Wall' uses? 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:07
Explain to me how Falling into Infinity is good. It does have some commedable material, but as long as I can remember, it lacked the top-notch musicianship throughout much of the record, and it was just boring. Maybe it's time I tried again.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:09

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

My main issue with Dream Theater is that they have this deep, deep love for lifting riffs from other bands.  Octavarium (the track) is meant to reference lots of bands, that's true, but does the "big ending" have to be the same "big ending" that Kansas' 'The Wall' uses? 

My issue with Octavarium is that it is the album where they rip off other bands most blatantly, yet some people say that it is their favorite DT album or even the only DT album they like. And at the same time an album like ToT where they do few ripping off (except Metallica) gets bashed.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:10

Explain to me how Falling into Infinity is good. It does have some commedable material, but as long as I can remember, it lacked the top-notch musicianship throughout much of the record, and it was just boring. Maybe it's time I tried again.

Progressive rock isn't so much about virtuosity as it is creativity...  songs like Lines In The Sand and Trial Of Tears represent some of DT's most creative ideas and execution.

My issue with Octavarium is that it is the album where they rip off other bands most blatantly, yet some people say that it is their favorite DT album or even the only DT album they like. And at the same time an album like ToT where they do few ripping off (except Metallica) gets bashed.

Heh, yeah...  though listen to the intro to Endless Sacrifice, then the intro to Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me" and proceed to cry.

Edited by Man Overboard
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:17

Heh, yeah...  though listen to the intro to Endless Sacrifice, then the intro to Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me" and proceed to cry.

I have 14 Michael jackson albums (Napster) but not that song ... so I can't comment. But I'm willing to bet that the similarity is accidental.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:18

Progressive rock isn't so much about virtuosity as it is creativity...  songs like Lines In The Sand and Trial Of Tears represent some of DT's most creative ideas and execution.

True, but Dream Theater has always incorporated unmatched virtuosity into their music, while still being very creative. But I guess it is only one album, and like I said, they reinvent themselves every record. That album was just one of their experiements. I've probably been viewing it the wrong way. Though now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it's a very consistent record. Songs like "You Not Me" and "Burning My Soul" aren't creative at all.

Edited by Moatilliatta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:29

I have 14 Michael jackson albums (Napster) but not that song ... so I can't comment. But I'm willing to bet that the similarity is accidental.

Decide for yourself.

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:32

I agree, and not just in terms of virtuosity, that's not the point

for me, it's creativity that is missing from this album, there are of course some exceptions...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:04

Decide for yourself.

It makes me cry ... because Michael Jackson doesn't sing properly in tune with the guitar, not because of the similarity. The third chord is different, and the arpeggiated melody in the first chord is a commonplace melody ... free game for everyone to use.  You'll find ripped phrases on that level even on very unique sounding albums ... Fantomas for example rip off John Zorn pretty obviously (and it's ok).

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:35

I agree. Especially Trial of Tears, what a beautiful song, probably my 3rd favorite Dream Theater track of all time.

To answer the question of this thread, I don't think Prog Metal is going down. In fact, its going up. Look at these new bands!

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:45
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I agree. Especially Trial of Tears, what a beautiful song, probably my 3rd favorite Dream Theater track of all time.

To answer the question of this thread, I don't think Prog Metal is going down. In fact, its going up. Look at these new bands!

I agree, but this is not the question of this thread...

BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 20:10

Originally posted by Rising Force Rising Force wrote:

Originally posted by Hierophant Hierophant wrote:

Originally posted by Rising Force Rising Force wrote:

It's ok, we have Symphony X and Planet X now. 

Planet X makes Dream Theater sound like blink 182

Damn straight.

I wouldnt go that far. IMO they are both incredible but totally differnet. DT is Prog  metal and it sounds like Yes fused wtih mettalica( not exactly..but it simple terms...) Planet X is Prog Fusion and sounds more like Chickcorea+ Weather Report+ dt+ LTE+ metalica( same thing, jsut simple terms...)

but as for death! I tinhk not.

I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 20:46

Most of you guys know by now how i feel about DT.  I Love ToT. Stream of Conciesneces is my 2nd fav DT song (behind Home).

I Also will say that i really like Octavarium. The title track is amazing, i love These Walls for some reason, and panic attack was amazing live. the reason they reference so many bands on that album it's an extention of circular continuity (things comming full circle) by showing the influences their music came from.

And as for FII...as a whole, i cant stand it. But I love Trial of Tears., so who  knows?

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 20:56

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I agree, but this is not the question of this thread...

Oh, I know, I know, I'm just kinda all whacked up today!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>