Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much do you practice? Petrucci?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 09:26
When I was in music college I averaged about 4-6 hours a day, meaning sometimes I'd play for more like 8.  Unfortunately that only lasted a year before I had to go get a job etc. 

I'd say nowadays I average around 45 minutes a day but I'm working towards getting that up to about two hours.  When I'm writing new material it's a real motivator to practise as I'm constantly writing things that involve me having to practise scale and arpeggio patterns for ages before I can nail them.  Being in a prog band really keeps you on your toes in that way, haha.
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 14:41
Originally posted by Era V. Era V. wrote:

When I was in music college I averaged about 4-6 hours a day, meaning sometimes I'd play for more like 8.  Unfortunately that only lasted a year before I had to go get a job etc. 

I'd say nowadays I average around 45 minutes a day but I'm working towards getting that up to about two hours.  When I'm writing new material it's a real motivator to practise as I'm constantly writing things that involve me having to practise scale and arpeggio patterns for ages before I can nail them.  Being in a prog band really keeps you on your toes in that way, haha.

What Prog band are you in?
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
Era V. View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 15:30
Era Vulgaris

www.myspace.com/eravulgaris

Prog-metal really.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:02
Originally posted by Era V. Era V. wrote:

Not sure why it is, but i find it very easy to get slack with Arpeggios (but that i really mean sweep picked arpeggios), not that I'm bad at sweeping, although my Legato, Alternate picking and two hand tapping remain very much ahead. I've even known one person that could sweep pick like no tommorow, but hardly alternate pick properly, and his legato and two handed tapping were even worse.
Era V. View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:46
It's very easy once you start becoming a 'good' guitarist to keep on practising what you improve at the fastest.  Sweep picking is my achilles heel too with alternate picking being my top skill.  I really have to force myself to practise sweeping because psychologically, this far ahead in the game of guitar playing, it's harder to deal with the frustration of not being able to do something straight away.  The way I can with alternate picking or legato or tapping for instance.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 08:58
Just a question Era V. Can you give me an idea of how fast you are at certain techniques? For alternate picking my average maximum speed is 210bpm in 16th notes ( 14 notes per second), and my legato run average maximum (3 note per string ideas) at 160bpm in 16th note triplets (16 notes per second. Also i can do 7 finger tapping (just tell me how fingers you can use).
Era V. View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 13:33
Why...is there a competition going on?  Haha.  I have no idea man and to be honest I couldn't care less, I play up to the speed I need to.  I've never approached music from a technical side except when it came to learning theory.  I do know that there's no difference in speed for me between alternate and legato.  If I play legato as fast as I can (three note patterns like you said) I can switch to alternate and stick with the metronome.  I'm fairly sure I could play 16ths at 210 though...possibly even in one of our songs...never actually sat down and measured it though.

As for tapping, I can do with 7 but not particularly fast, can do some nice chord based things at a moderate speed with 7 fingers, sometimes eight if the voicing requires.

But it's not about speed y'know...it's about clarity, note distinction and maintaining character!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 22:47
It's not that I really consciously think about the technical side of playing when i play guitar, unless your a robot, because to I like to let the playing flow more natural as the primary thing, with technique and theory being there when needed. I tend to only know how fast I can play from my warm up exercises in which i use a metronome. When I'm actually playing along to a song, or improvising, rarely do I think in terms of "Let's use the A major 2 octave arpeggios", usually it's a case of I know what an arpeggios or a certain place in a scale sounds like without consciously thinking about what note/ part of scale/ arpeggios I'm playing.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 06:18
I don't practice Petrucci at all any time any day. Tongue

And anyway, if Petrucci practices 6 hours a day, do I really need to spend any time practicing Petrucci, myself?

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 27 2008 at 06:19
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tremulant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 07:35
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I never practice. Learning to play correctly might be bad for my unique and highly artistic style. Also, I rarely bother to tune my guitar, because tuned instruments sound so commercial.

Hahaha! Clap
My solo music: ANTHROPIATE
nightlamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 15:52
When I was in music school I would usually spend at least 3-4 hours a day in the practice room working on pieces, technique stuff, and just improvising.  Now I play my drumset an hour or so a day-- not really "practicing" with any set goals in mind, just playing.  If a particular mood strikes me I might play some marimba (need to do this more, my chops have atrophied pretty bad), hand drums, guitar, or synthy stuff, but I'm much less consistent with playing any of these.

Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

(Have you ever been in a bar with a drummer? They just cannot stop tapping - drumming their fingers, their feet, the beer glass, the table - it's like a subconscious reation to anything musical - they have to drum along - some guitarists are the same).

I've been known to drive people insane with my tapping...
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 07:22
Sometimes I don't touch my instruments for two days (rarely) sometimes I play 4 hours...

On  average, I play more than 1 hour per day...

And I don't practice, I just play. If I practice anything that's my songwriting skill. I play mostly acoustic guitar and keyboards...if I PLAY keyboards, it's usually the standard piano. If I'm doing the synth sounds, I'm more exploring sound palettes than playing.

Most of the time I play guitar. I'm playing for 15 years, and I NEVER EVER learned to play someone else's songs. If you ask my to play some Bob Dylan, I wouldn't be able...nor I want to. Why playing someone else's songs? Guitar is MY tool for expressing myself. I play mostly jazzy chords, pseudo-classical segments and some rock chords...while experimenting with scales and harmonies, sometimes bordering avant-rock, but I suck at this.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 02:13
Clarke 2001: Most of the time I play guitar. I'm playing for 15 years, and I NEVER EVER learned to play someone else's songs. If you ask my to play some Bob Dylan, I wouldn't be able...nor I want to. Why playing someone else's songs?

Most guitarists would probably think totally otherwise. Learning to play other people's songs, contrary to many people's belief, tends to in fact be probably the best way to develop your own style and voice on the guitar. I myself could only play maybe, less than 10 songs from start to end, but I have been through many magazines and websites, just looking for licks. For example, I might watch a Steve Vai DVD, steal some of his licks, but never use them exactly in my own songs or improvisations. I draw inspiration from other people's licks, but I sit there, play that lick over and over, and eventually I will say "add this/take away that from this lick/play this in a different part of the fretboard", and eventually, the lick takes on a new voice, no longer Vai's lick, but in fact mine. Having said that, you can still certainly develop your own voice on the guitar, but playing other people's songs/licks can make that process more fun, easier and can expand your mind on the possibilties of your own playing while looking at someone else's.
And I found, certain songs I've learnt to play,or songs I've learnt to play bits from, i tend to enjoy the experience of listening to that certain muscians/group of muscians more, because you can appreciate the time and effort put into the songs even more IMHO.

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 02:54
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Clarke 2001: Most of the time I play guitar. I'm playing for 15 years, and I NEVER EVER learned to play someone else's songs. If you ask my to play some Bob Dylan, I wouldn't be able...nor I want to. Why playing someone else's songs?

Most guitarists would probably think totally otherwise. Learning to play other people's songs, contrary to many people's belief, tends to in fact be probably the best way to develop your own style and voice on the guitar. I myself could only play maybe, less than 10 songs from start to end, but I have been through many magazines and websites, just looking for licks. For example, I might watch a Steve Vai DVD, steal some of his licks, but never use them exactly in my own songs or improvisations. I draw inspiration from other people's licks, but I sit there, play that lick over and over, and eventually I will say "add this/take away that from this lick/play this in a different part of the fretboard", and eventually, the lick takes on a new voice, no longer Vai's lick, but in fact mine. Having said that, you can still certainly develop your own voice on the guitar, but playing other people's songs/licks can make that process more fun, easier and can expand your mind on the possibilties of your own playing while looking at someone else's.
And I found, certain songs I've learnt to play,or songs I've learnt to play bits from, i tend to enjoy the experience of listening to that certain muscians/group of muscians more, because you can appreciate the time and effort put into the songs even more IMHO.

I agree with you, I really do...and I know I am lonely in my case. But I guess I had enough time (15 yrs or so) to develop my own style. I'm missing a lotta fun for sure...but I'm having fun anyway. My knowledge is full of ignorance gaps, but which one's isn't?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 20:09
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

I agree with you, I really do...and I know I am lonely in my case. But I guess I had enough time (15 yrs or so) to develop my own style. I'm missing a lotta fun for sure...but I'm having fun anyway. My knowledge is full of ignorance gaps, but which one's isn't?

Well it's definitely not too late to start incorporating the playing of other artist's songs into your practice time. I could almost guarantee that it will help with your song writing. Also, with each of your respective instruments, try to find some time in your day, even if it's just 15 mins, to spend some time actually practicing, as more technique can add to the range of things you do (of course given that extra technique is applied in a tastefull manner), and generally makes playing more fun. i too used to simple play, and not actually practice, and when I started to properly practice, within a few months, the extra technique and theory I knew gave me the feeling of having set myself 'free' in a way, free to do more, explore more within myself musically and artistically.
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 21:47
Yngwie Malmsteen claims to have practised 15 hours a day. He wanted to follow in the foot steps of the great Italian violinist Nicolo Paganini where he was forced, by his father, to practice that much daily from the age of 5 to his mid teens.

I like to treat practicing as if it were muscle training. It basically is in a nutshell. I'll play maybe 2-3 a day with "building my chops," learning songs, learning how to read the fretboard and all fun jazz. It is fine if you practice a healthy diet, warm up properly and never over exert yourself.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 03:07
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey SpaceMonkey wrote:

Yngwie Malmsteen claims to have practised 15 hours a day. He wanted to follow in the foot steps of the great Italian violinist Nicolo Paganini where he was forced, by his father, to practice that much daily from the age of 5 to his mid teens.

I like to treat practicing as if it were muscle training. It basically is in a nutshell. I'll play maybe 2-3 a day with "building my chops," learning songs, learning how to read the fretboard and all fun jazz. It is fine if you practice a healthy diet, warm up properly and never over exert yourself.

You would almost think practising that much would extremely harmful. The most in one day I have ever practised was 11 hours, and I only did that once. Over the last 2 months, on at least 3 occasions I played upwards of 7 hours a day, but I find playing for really long tests your concentration, and if you play without breaks,  your attention span can fail you a bit and you play a little sloppy.

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 08:35
Well, you can only learn new things when your synapses have adapted to the thing you learned the day before, so if you play 15 hours a day, you're not going to get WORSE than if you play 3, but not necessarily better either.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:43
Not enough.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 17:36
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote: