Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog musicians juggling music career and work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 07:14
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

And musicians aren't asking for any government support to help them carry on their existence; all they want is to be paid for a work and I know that every full time corporate warrior lecturing musicians to be selfless would hate to be in a position where they can't get paid anything for their work. 

But that's just it, a full time corporate warrior will not continue to work in a job or industry that isn't paying. I personally made the switch from finance to tech precisely because the route I was on in finance was not paying off DESPITE the fact that I much prefer finance to tech. 

Here's the harsh reality that musicians refuse to live up to - that the value of their labor is no less subject to supply and demand. And right now, there are WAYYYY too many musicians eager to give their services than music consumers are willing to consume. Art, or at least valuable art, is the product of a society deciding to "waste" scarce resources on something that has a value that exceeds the utilitarian. But today's advanced economies are capable of pumping out musicians like a Ford assembly line. In other words, being a musician and consuming music are really not that special anymore. And the economics prove it... 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 07:27
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

And musicians aren't asking for any government support to help them carry on their existence; all they want is to be paid for a work and I know that every full time corporate warrior lecturing musicians to be selfless would hate to be in a position where they can't get paid anything for their work. 

But that's just it, a full time corporate warrior will not continue to work in a job or industry that isn't paying. I personally made the switch from finance to tech precisely because the route I was on in finance was not paying off DESPITE the fact that I much prefer finance to tech. 

Here's the harsh reality that musicians refuse to live up to - that the value of their labor is no less subject to supply and demand. And right now, there are WAYYYY too many musicians eager to give their services than music consumers are willing to consume. Art, or at least valuable art, is the product of a society deciding to "waste" scarce resources on something that has a value that exceeds the utilitarian. But today's advanced economies are capable of pumping out musicians like a Ford assembly line. In other words, being a musician and consuming music are really not that special anymore. And the economics prove it... 

I would agree with you if people were paying for WHAT they DO listen to.  They don't unless you count a very, very small amount that you pay as monthly subscription to streaming services.  And we didn't get there overnight.  Illegal mp3 downloads started when the only legal way to acquire music was to buy a CD/LP.  No solution to end illegal mp3 was ever implemented because it boosted internet usage and helped Google and others.  Eventually legal streaming came up and now there's no way a musician can make even subsistence money playing music unless a label decides to make them.  And the number of musicians for whom the labels will do that is tiny, tiny.  Not because of a demand-supply mismatch because the same pirate-streaming economy that screws over musicians also screws over labels.

And THAT is the hypocrisy.  If people were NOT enjoying the fruits of a musician's hard work and therefore didn't pay, that would be just fine and apt for your analogy.  This is like you get 12 hours of work out of an employee and then tell him you don't have to pay because you already downloaded his work or something.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 09:13

I would agree with you if people were paying for WHAT they DO listen to....And THAT is the hypocrisy.  If people were NOT enjoying the fruits of a musician's hard work and therefore didn't pay, that would be just fine and apt for your analogy.  This is like you get 12 hours of work out of an employee and then tell him you don't have to pay because you already downloaded his work or something.

That's actually a fair point and I think you're right to be frustrated about it. But more than anything else, the fact that music is so easily copyable (which is to say, it can be infinitely copied at almost no cost) shows just how ill suited intellectual property is for a standard "property" model. You can't really fully own an abstraction and trying to force that type of model on it is doomed to fail (... well its already failed) despite being royally unfair to you as a musician. 

I don't know the answer as to what will replace the property model (I believe patronage is already coming back in style, this time via crowd funding and not just rich lords and churches funding in-house composers) but until the supply of music takes, there will be little incentive to find a more effective compensation.  model  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 09:17

I don't know the answer as to what will replace the property model (I believe patronage is already coming back in style, this time via crowd funding and not just rich lords and churches funding in-house composers) but until the supply of music takes, there will be little incentive to find a more effective compensation.  model  

I think that's what Dave is saying in essence.  People are just going to stop playing except those who are pure hobbyists.  When there are no more world class recordings with top notch musicianship available to leech off, the audience will want to pay again.  It's unfortunate that we will have to get there for things to get better but that seems to be where we're headed. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 13:53
Well if we're considering art from a commercial standpoint here (from the perspective of artists who want to make money off of their creations), and the demand is low, it seems the only way to increase that demand is to convince consumers they want or need this product. And since streaming isn't going away, then that would mean enticing consumers to live performances. Or some other equivalent to that, such as paying for a subscription through Twitch or something and watching a livestream (which is more feasible during pandemic times anyway).

It does seem weird to be talking about art in a similar way to a consumer product that requires advertising campaigns to stimulate demand, but I suppose if creating it is to contribute to funding your livelihood, one has little choice. Other than to do something else for profit, that is.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 06:29

I think that's what Dave is saying in essence.  People are just going to stop playing except those who are pure hobbyists.  When there are no more world class recordings with top notch musicianship available to leech off, the audience will want to pay again.  It's unfortunate that we will have to get there for things to get better but that seems to be where we're headed. 

Hi,

I'm not sure of that ... music has lived on forever for hundreds of years despite anything that we can think of, except maybe the plague!

The issue at this point is that there is a serious change in the "system" and how it works ... and the old "method" was not wise enough to share with the musicians a bit better, and when the internet came up, many of those recording companies took a very well deserved caning in their buns! They had stolen long enough!

Until the time when musicians learn the ropes of the internet, and how to work with it, and be able to gain from it, and the public not getting threats from high level lawyers about mp3's ... it becomes really easy to see who is the one trying to hurt the musicians and the business. The record companies that think the mp3 thing is a serious issue that takes money out of their pockets! And folks like PA get caught in the middle of the battle ... and have no choice but stop offering a nice lead in ... and important thing for the many NEW BANDS (no need for these on well known bands!!!!!), that could use a nice little bump.

Musicians, are going to have to learn something about business ... and accounting. But to think that things will go back to the way they were ... is a story that is almost better than Walt Disney ... and I find it bizarre that some folks are afraid of the future.

You got to appreciate someone like Dave, and his work, but at that point his character and attitude online is very important and needs to be positive and hopeful ... not negative. It doesn't sell, he says ... and I would state ... look in the mirror ... FIRST ... before you blame the audience. I have not bought anything of Dave's because I can't afford it (on SS), and I have enjoyed listening to some of it, but I only do reviews of full albums, not songs ... and that means that I won't get a chance to review Dave. He does deserve better!

Again, sometimes I think the problem is too many people trying to sell SONGS ... and I think this has to stop and start doing real music, instead of format'd stuff that has been done for the past 50 years ... and as Ian Anderson has said (Rick Wakeman special) ... everything that could be done with rock music has already been done ... there is no what's next!

Edited by moshkito - August 20 2020 at 06:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 07:46
I'm going to ignore Mosh on this one due to him believing "fear" is what's stopping musicians nowadays (plus the usual ad hominem stuff he comes up with.) (Mosh, look beyond the person and at the actual big picture here.) 

It's not "fear"
It's "reality". 

The reality of the situation is that musicians are being forced into box rooms, where I find myself now, surrounded by several thousand pounds worth of kit. At the moment, I'm thinking of putting a fretless bass line down to a drum track. The drum track is a "good but not brilliant" piece of software. I'm not a natural fretless bass player, I can hold my own, but - box bedroom, I can hardly plug an Ampeg SVT head and a couple of cabs in, not that I have them. 

So the bass is DI'd into the PC. The net result of this is going to be "average sounding" at best, and that's after a lot of messing about - hours, in fact. 

Studio work, in a bedroom, doesn't produce good results. Even if you're good, it produces average results as you lose the spontaneity of playing with other musicians.

So let's say I ring one of three friends up who are professional bassists and say would you like a go on this ? The problem again, is spontaneity. Also, because no one will buy the music - or any music - I don't feel I can do so as I can't afford to pay them. I don't like asking freebies off friends.

Net result ? I know that in a couple of hours, I'm going to listen to what I played, go naaah and delete it. I have gigs and gigs of tracks I've deleted because I won't release crap. This is a facet of being a proper musician, you can hear all the mistakes, all the imperfections, and you should only release stuff you're truly happy with, whilst permanently striving to play better. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 07:51
(2) So let's extrapolate from that. 

After countless hours, if I've not just thrown the towel in, I have some music which I'm fairly happy with, which is essentially a solo effort. As we all know, musicians work better when they trade ideas off each other. You are absolutely never going to be happy with solo efforts, if you're a musician. Me ? Well, I enjoy the compositional bit but it all starts falling a bit flat. 

What tends to happen is that I get disenchanted with it. When recording, you listen, listen, listen and listen again as the layers of a song build up and eventually you get sick of listening. Doubts creep in, and boredom. Eventually, you put something aside for six months, come back to it and it might be salvageable. Or most likely not. 

I'm not deluded enough to think that this just happens to me, it happens to every bedroom / studio musician out there, most likely. Or the ones who actually care. 

Eventually, after investing so much time and effort to produce something (non musicians, or guitar twiddlers, you have no idea how much work) you release it. 

And no one buys it. In fact, they rip you off hand over fist - as I said, there are very few real "fans" left. You'll get a few kind words, which are appreciated, but at some stage you think what the hell am I doing wasting my time releasing music ? It's like some form of masochism.

So you give up. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:02
(3) So, what are the options ?

Well. I really like jamming with other people. I hate playing live, by the way. I'm actually a very shy person (oh yes really) - I don't want fame, adulation or whatever and I'm too fat to crowd surf. ;-) 

You'll find, however, that it's very difficult to jam with other like minded people, simply because *proper"musicians are hard to find at the best of times.

Now excuse me for sounding elitist, but it's OK to be elitist if you are hem hem part of the perhaps 2% of musicians who can improvise. Most can just learn by rote and play tab.

"Hey, do you want to jam along to Black Magic Woman ? " 
"No, f&ck off, numb nuts."

If you think prog rock is played by low quality musicians who can't improvise or write a song, think again. So it's incredibly difficult to find like minded musicians, it even was in the 1970's. Now, everyone is much older with family and kids and commitments. And no one came along to replace them - not in numbers great enough to form clusters who could play with each other, anyway. (It's like a species becoming extinct as there's not enough animals close together to breed.) 

So, basically, (a) if I stay in a bedroom, I produce stuff I'm not happy with (b) if I go looking for other musicians to go jamming with, I'll be extremely lucky to find any (c) playing a gig is absolutely impossible due to there being no fans and no money (d) streaming, etc, forget it, no one buys music as well and (e) the only option I see.....

... is to set up local clubs and get musicians together and jamming. See what comes out of it. 

But I very much doubt it'll happen as whatever comes out of a probably 10 year learning curve of jamming with a band then has to at some point step into a commercial environment to survive. And there isn't a commercial environment, there's a rip off one. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:04
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

After countless hours, if I've not just thrown the towel in, I have some music which I'm fairly happy with, which is essentially a solo effort. As we all know, musicians work better when they trade ideas off each other. You are absolutely never going to be happy with solo efforts, if you're a musician. Me ? Well, I enjoy the compositional bit but it all starts falling a bit flat. 

What tends to happen is that I get disenchanted with it. When recording, you listen, listen, listen and listen again as the layers of a song build up and eventually you get sick of listening. Doubts creep in, and boredom. Eventually, you put something aside for six months, come back to it and it might be salvageable. Or most likely not. 

I'm not deluded enough to think that this just happens to me, it happens to every bedroom / studio musician out there, most likely. Or the ones who actually care. 

Eventually, after investing so much time and effort to produce something (non musicians, or guitar twiddlers, you have no idea how much work) you release it. 

And no one buys it. In fact, they rip you off hand over fist - as I said, there are very few real "fans" left. You'll get a few kind words, which are appreciated, but at some stage you think what the hell am I doing wasting my time releasing music ? It's like some form of masochism.

So you give up. 

Assuredly it happens to others.  I have heard these exact sentiments from others.  It's all very well to tell people to stay positive but we are looking at a long term dearth of musical talent if only well off people who already have some income stream to support them will get into performing music.  Well of course, there will continue to be youngsters who are manufactured into pop sensations.  If that's what Pedro looks at for affirmation, sure, but I thought he hated the top 10 of this website so what does that make the top 10 of the Billboards?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:07
PS When I read Mosh's comment about how musicians were going to have to "learn how to use the internet" to presumably make money or become famous, I had to laugh. 

Or about "business and accounting".

He might find it bizarre that "soime folks are afraid of the future" because he doesn't even understand the present. Not a clue. 

And the future will be far, far worse. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:12

So you give up. 

Assuredly it happens to others.  I have heard these exact sentiments from others.  It's all very well to tell people to stay positive but we are looking at a long term dearth of musical talent if only well off people who already have some income stream to support them will get into performing music.  Well of course, there will continue to be youngsters who are manufactured into pop sensations.  If that's what Pedro looks at for affirmation, sure, but I thought he hated the top 10 of this website so what does that make the top 10 of the Billboards?

Sorry to quote the quote there, Rogerthat. 

I've been in IT for many, many years and I understand (probably slightly better than Pedro) how the modern commercial world works and how you make money using the internet. It's my job. 

Everything is commodified. Art ? Music ? Forget it. The money goes to a very few people who wring it out of the masses of people who contribute through their own good will and enthusiasm. 

The type of people who control the system don't care if there is no music - actual music - left. They'll just make their money out of manufactured boy and pop bands, wring the sponge out, and move on. It was always the case in the past but now that's the universal model. There is no room for individuality or anything unusual - there used to be - now it's manufactured "product". 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:14
Oh yeah, PS, final word here - 

MOSH - "You got to appreciate someone like Dave, and his work, but at that point his character and attitude online is very important and needs to be positive and hopeful ... not negative"

ME - "You senile old fart". 

Positive enough ? ;-)

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 13:32
Yeah, I'm going to begin a search for fellow band mates soon, and I am certainly nervous. To find musicians with a decent enough background in jazz is difficult, especially if we're looking for multi-instrumentalists (though I wouldn't say it's impossible where I live, could be worse). However, there are many platforms nowadays to get the word out to people in your area about what you're looking for in band members. And I do mean band MEMBERS, not session players. Getting someone to join your group may be less expensive than hiring session players, but it's way more difficult to find people who are passionate about the same kind of projects that you are passionate about. That's why I figure it's best to be extremely transparent online about what you want. Maybe make some demos to show those who are interested about what direction you would want to take. 

But all this difficulty in finding people online only further makes me believe the search needs to be supplemented with in-person experiences. That's why I am very inspired by the idea of creating a space for musicians to meet, rehearse, record, and perform, like Dave suggested. 

I certainly agree that the industry titans don't really care about the craft. Maybe the aim is to find others who share this view? Not just musicians, but other artists as well. And lay people who observe or consume what artists create. These are the people who are passionate enough to find another way, a way around the corporate stranglehold on the arts. Maybe a sense of community is all some people need to be bolstered to act. And a space could be created for artists to not only work together on projects, but to talk about other opportunities and look out for jobs/gigs for one another. That way, you're creating a network for recommendations. 

I think the modern musician needs to have a strong Internet presence, but also a tangible space to work with others.

(This has been brewing in my head for the past week or so. Maybe it's just a pipe dream, but I think it's worth exploring, and I'm glad to have forums like these from which to learn new perspectives and bounce off ideas.)

Edited by Awesoreno - August 22 2020 at 13:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 02:43
Pipe dreams are for pipe smokers, then again, I've been smoking a pipe for 15 years. ;-)

Here's how I'd do it. 

Firstly, I don't think you need a full venue, ie. with gig space. (Nice to have, though.) I'd be tempted to set up a completely free rehearsal space for *invited* musicians only. That means they all get auditioned. The space is totally free, "turn up and jam" any time, you can put basic equipment in if you feel the need. 

Auditions are easy. You record one practice track, send it to them in advance. They turn up, if they're a bassist, they get the same track to play over minus the bass part. They have to improvise, do their own thing, not copy what they heard. It's not classical music. You then interview them and see what makes them tick. Weed out the egomaniacs and attention seekers. 

No invited musicians at all. No guests, girlfriends or groupies. They're there to do a job. "Are they serious about it ?" 

Turn up, jam. You get six months free membership BUT at the end of the membership, you have to have performed one gig, at least. Membership is reviewed on a six monthly basis. 

Remember, rehearsal space costs money. So you're effectively giving musicians a big saving, only fair if they respond by letting you have the gig money. 

Whilst your musicians are hopefully rehearsing away and not smoking dope and farting into the microphone, you get on the phone to local venues and say, look, got some bands who want to play live. You get to keep the bar money, I get the ticket money or vice versa. That cuts out a layer of promotion, advertising, PA hire etc which you don't need to get tied up in. 

Any good musician will jump at the chance of a set up gig or two to start them off. If you can get the funding to run a rehearsal space - and there are plenty of arts based grants available - you just treat it as your own little starter class and push people in the right direction. You may not make a lot of money, you may just break even - you might even want to stipulate that you're the manager of any band which forms out of this - but you'll have a lot of fun, satisfaction, and your gigs for free. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - August 23 2020 at 03:23

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 02:44
I'm still astonished at someone whose character and attitude online are dreadful telling me that mine are, incidentally. ;-)

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 11:32
Interesting stuff. When it comes to choosing members, I had a similar philosophy. But I never thought about incorporating a specific space with memberships. Props to you.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 00:46

I'm still astonished at someone whose character and attitude online are dreadful telling me that mine are, incidentally. ;-)

That's because you haven't yet grasped that Mosh is an expert who knows everything better than us mere mortals. Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:26

I'm going to ignore Mosh on this one due to him believing "fear" is what's stopping musicians nowadays (plus the usual ad hominem stuff he comes up with.) (Mosh, look beyond the person and at the actual big picture here.) 

It's not "fear"
It's "reality". 

YOUR REALITY.

I'm not sure that one person does not "create" their own "reality", and then point the fingers out. I learnt in acting/directing in theater, that pointing fingers, is the worst exercise you can use in an artistic context, when you need to "get away" from who you are ... and some actors take to that way too much, honestly.

Music is no different. it's even stranger that I'm actually standing up for you, and you are the independent one that is not gracious enough to say thank you to some of the folks that HAVE HEARD and appreciate what you have written!

Again, I review ALBUMS, not songs ... because to me, the 9th, is not about the chorale ... it's about the whole thing ... as would your work.

My father was writing under the worst conditions possible, including censorship from the government, and more than likely (though mom and dad would not tell us about it EVER) they were "run out" of Portugal with threats on the 7 kids in the family already (2 more born in Brazil) ... and it didn't stop him, he still finished his English Literature book (still used in Portuguese colleges), and a lot of poetry, and making several literary assignments that got him various accolades. All this, working as a TA supporting 7 children, with a library of 25K books then, in Assis in the state of Sao Paulo until he got his PhD that took him to Araraquara (same state) for a bit more pay but now 8 children and a 9th in the way!

He's respected and appreciated for his work ... not for his lack of appreciation for the arts, specially literature, his field.

JUGGLING, is something that (more than likely) half the musicians to 2/3's of them have to live with ... and we all know that it is not exactly wine and roses ... and bloody faces ... but giving up and speaking negative about it, including those that appreciate your work, is rather sad ... 

And you think that "juggling" was any harder in Spain, Portugal and Italy during the dictator years? You have no idea the sacred playground that you are a part of ... and where I came from. So, go ahead, and dishonor yourself all you want ... I, for one, won't listen to anything else you put together ... in my mind and heart, I am not sure that you are an artist anymore ... and that what you want is not ... just the art ... the only food the soul can love and appreciate!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That's because you haven't yet grasped that Mosh is an expert who knows everything better than us mere mortals. Wink

I'm not a quoting man ... but if I were, one of my favorites was ... "a mere mortal is the soul of a man already dead!"
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>