Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much do you practice? Petrucci?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:59
Actually, he claims he practices 63 hours a day, not 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1ccnC1GI&feature=related

Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by activetopics activetopics wrote:

I personally practice about an average of an hour a day, practicing all of my weaknesses.

John petrucci, on the other hand, claims to have practiced 6 hours daily, along with John Myung. Am i the only one who finds that claim to be irrational and down right silly?

I practice bass (and even guitar, sometimes) an average of 2 hours a day. Sometimes a little less, and it helps me a lot to progress on my playing. I think Petrucci and Myung say truth when they say they've played 6 hours a day, because their technique is impeccable. You can easily realise a lot of effort was put on there! Clap
jmcdaniel_ee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 13:04
I remember Zappa mentioned that he never practiced when he wasn't touring or recording.  He wasn't exactly slow or un-innovative (yes, I know that's an understatement.) 

I guess it comes down to what you want to do.  I write and record in my spare time, so I need to play all the instruments, and I certainly don't have time to pratice each one to be a virtuoso.  Some fellow guitarists can shred circles around me.  On the other hand, I can relate easier to the drummer or keyboard player if we're tweaking an arrangement.
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 13:00
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I don't mind my fingers bleeding but the blood corrodes the strings!Wink

I hate it when that happens...... Wink

Of course once the strings got their revenge, getting a .09 string through your thumb is really painful.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 08:06
However I'd like to make a note here for all of you beginner guitarists, one thing my teacher said to me and I tell my students always. If you don't feel like practising one day or you feel like you have something else to do, just pick up the guitar and sit with it on your lap. You'll soon notice that you're playing it. And that's almost the best exercise, getting used to the guitar, like holding a pen or wearing glasses.
activetopics View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 17:34
herm...i suppose it's possible. it seems i stand corrected 
Time Signature View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 14:54
I wouldn't be surprised if he practices that much... it's his full time job after all.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 14:49
Six hours a day is certainly not unheard of.

When you consider that playing guitar is his "job", and most people work forty hour weeks, it doesn't sound that much.
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 12:46
I play about 2 hours during the day (maybe more), but I wouldn't call it practice. The way I "practice" is that learn a new song. I plod along until I have it down. But to me, I'm just playing. I'm having fun. Learning stuff by ear is the best (IMO)

The way I learn scales is by soloing with that scale. (And I learned jazz guitar by reading theory books). Sometimes I make up a chord progression and try to play a lead that harmonically fits with it (Ex: I might play C9 C#9 D9 Amaj7 Bbmaj7 B7 and then diddle around with pentatonics and various modes).

I guess I built up speed by just goofing around on scales. Sometimes I do finger exercises (I actually like them, they're like brain games) but I just forget most of the time.

I can very easily see Petrucci playing that much. To get that level of skill, he must play that much. Lucky him, he probably has the time. He is probably way more disciplined than I am, though. I learn and strengthen my skills by goofing around - he probably has a set regimen (like Steve Vai).

I also agree with the "6 hours of playing means 18 hours without playing" statement. So true, so true.
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 12:31
I have a friend who now teaches guitar. He went to GIT in California. He played drums in the "family band" (mom played piano, dad played guitar, brother played bass, etc.) and when he was about 12 he decided he didn't want to be the cute kid on drums. So, he picked up one of his brother's old guitars and really liked it. I went over to visit and he had the guitar strapped to him while he watched tv, got something to drink, had a snack, and even to get the mail in the apartment building. Yeah, there was food on the neck and strings, the guitar was dented from the banging into furniture and things but his mother put up with it because she saw he had talent and an interest.
 Years later, I asked him how much he practices a day. He said he didn't know, he just liked doodling around with it. On days off, he'd strap the guitar on in the morning and go about his day, playing as he went. Sometimes scales, sometimes riffs, sometimes the music that was on the tv.
I think the key is that some people love to play the guitar and don't think of it as practice. To them (maybe Mr. Petrucci) it's not "practice".and it's probably not as intense as someone who practices for an hour. Another thing I notice is that some work practice around their day while some work their day around their playing. 
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:40
Practise makes perfect they say - all tutors recommend at least an hour every day, there are physical and mental considerations to be met for a musician, as with a practitioner of every art or instrument. Hendrix is reputed to have spent almost every waking moment practising - watching the TV, at a party and it is said he even slept with his guitar (Confused)......no need to get that dedicated, but an hour or two a day (warm up - study - followed by daft fun things) with the guitar in tune keeps my head in tune! Wink

Edited by mystic fred - September 17 2007 at 11:42
Prog Archives Tour Van
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:36
One of my few regrets from my "playing" days is that I didn't practice my guitar for even 6 hours a month, much less per day!  I spent way too much time being lazy or distracted when, since I wasn't born a natural virtuoso, it was the only thing that would have made me a better musician, writer and bandmate.  When you run in the crowd that Petrucci runs in I would think that dedication on that scale would be mandatory so, yes, I believe it.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:33
my brother practices an average of about 6 hours a day ....and believe me he does, it's really loud when my door's open
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:17
I never practice. Learning to play correctly might be bad for my unique and highly artistic style. Also, I rarely bother to tune my guitar, because tuned instruments sound so commercial.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:09
^ I don't mind my fingers bleeding but the blood corrodes the strings!Wink
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:23
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ of course it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone ... at least a physician should be consulted in order to avoid injuries like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

AW......... this is ROCK not a health farm! IT's LOUD and you play til yer fingers bleed!

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:17
I could understand it if you did it for work. Some studio guitarists have to be able to play everything and always. and six hours a day is like doing a normal 8 hour shift at the construction yard. If you make bad music that doesn't make you rich, it's harly worth the time spent, but sure, I've had weeks too when I practise like 5 hours a day. Finger practise is easy during some tv program, or you could just put some music on and play along. Developes the ear quite well. I doubt Petrucci spends all his time between 14:00-20:00 shredding the hell out of his musicman.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:09
I'd also question whether practicing that much was actually beneficial at all, and whether it could in reality produce a worse guitarist.
What?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:02
^ of course it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone ... at least a physician should be consulted in order to avoid injuries like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 09:50

I can fully believe he practices 6 hours a day: a couple of hours in the morning, an hour after lunch, an hour before tea time and a couple of hours before he goes to bed.

I've known a couple of dedicated guitarists who live to play and just play whenever they can, even while watching TV - for people like that 6 hours is nothing; 6 hours to them is actually 18 hours of guitarless withdrawal. (Have you ever been in a bar with a drummer? They just cannot stop tapping - drumming their fingers, their feet, the beer glass, the table - it's like a subconscious reation to anything musical - they have to drum along - some guitarists are the same).

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>